Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 17, 2017 12:32 PM
Jul 2018
Something is wrong... I think Shuryuu did something to Niwatori because she wasn't herself after their encounter. (o_o)
Oct 17, 2017 12:36 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Well r.i.p Chicken, it was nice knowing you. Lowkey feel like Monkey is gonna be the winner if she just chills in the sewers until everyone kills each other. I think she herself just has the power to have people not attack her. If she can stop wars by talking, then it should be an easy game for her really.

Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 17, 2017 12:36 PM

Oct 2010
Had to drop the show down from a 8 to a 7 for now. 3 episodes in a row now where the EPISODE TITLE spoils what will happen, along with the repetitive pattern of "Here's a character, here's their background, now they're dead". It's already tiring for me. Even without the episode titles spoiling it, we can already guess within like 2 minutes of an episode (excluding theme song) what is going to happen in the episode. Very lackluster.

They really need to start mixing things up. Starting by not spoiling using the episode titles...
Oct 17, 2017 12:43 PM

Dec 2014
each episode has it's own vibe to it...the first episode I was voting for the gun loading deva but she got killed off real fast

the second episode again portrayed the dog who was not even poisoned due to his body conditions...I was still thinking he will go a long way...but he got killed off by an unsuspected character

the third episode showed the dark side of the chicken, I thought she will go along way with her cunning abilities but she was also killed off.what the heck

I hope that the crab is still alive (rooting for him to win secretly) and I don't want the ox to win

also thinking the first one to die may have a hidden ability that may hinder others in the upcoming episodes

Oct 17, 2017 12:55 PM

Jun 2012
Every time I expect an epic duel, but they get completely one-shot! Feels like they hype up one warrior as being really strong just to have them killed by another very easily. I wonder how the last fight will be if it continues like this.
Oct 17, 2017 12:57 PM

Sep 2016
monkey time for flashback of the week and death of the week
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 17, 2017 1:21 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I'm pretty sure that Chicken died cause of Monkey's influence/power. One Man Army seems to convenient to explain why she did that.

This zodiax pattern (for now) doesn't actually bother me in the slightest, i just look forward to how someone gets killed. It's a good buildup.

Rat is still glorious and by now we can probably say that everyone has seen him before or it's their imagination :P
Oct 17, 2017 1:30 PM

Feb 2015
The rate they are killing they will be done in 4-5 episodes. It makes me think something else will be thrown into the mix.
Oct 17, 2017 1:32 PM

Dec 2016
its retarded how the ED already spoils the order the characters are gonna die, we probably already know whos gonna win and is the most boring character lol
Oct 17, 2017 1:36 PM
Aug 2016
Oh no next episode is about monkey I hope she doesn't die
Oct 17, 2017 1:52 PM

Oct 2014
Another fantastic episode. Chicken was a badass but had a change of heart by the end. Interested to see Monkey's episode next week, she's the most interesting character so far.

It's weird how the show is so compelling yet predictable simultaneously. You know that a character will die, but the how/why aren't clear until the final moments.
Oct 17, 2017 2:15 PM

Jun 2015
Is every death going to be so quick, it's quite boring really.
Oct 17, 2017 2:30 PM

Jan 2014
So, basically this series is like:
1. Flashback.
2. I'm so much smarter than the rest.
3. I'm dead in a 2 second fight.

For some reason, I love it! :D

I sort of want Rabbit to win. He is kinda entertaining to watch. Also, I can't imagine him going into a deep monologue. His thoughts are probably just all over the place. But if they do try it, that could be fun.

Anyways, it's kinda refreshing to watch that even if you have trained for years, another ability that directly counters yours can make all that training pointless. We could see that in every fight so far.
Rabbit vs Boar: Even if Boar could shoot nonstop and had some special agent training thingie, she can't fight against two. I bet it took all her physical strength to just hold those machine guns (which is actually really hard to believe that she could manage holding both in one hand AND shoot with it with relative accuracy).
Dog vs Chicken: Dog had the advantage in fighting power and would've won if they fought face to face, but Chicken's specialty was espionage, which she used to her advantage. Dog didn't have enough information, which cost him his life.
Chicken vs Ox: Birdie simply had no chance against Ox. Since Ox "kills systematically", that means he calculates in his head non-stop. I can't imagine him lacking info about any of the participants and I'm sure if anything new would happen he would figure out a plan for it right away.
I kinda hope the series will keep this trend. It's fun to watch.

I can imagine either Ox winning without a hitch or everyone teaming up on Ox, then Rabbit getting Ox as his "friend" and winning. Or everyone turning against the ones running the show thanks to Monkey, then they all die from the poison.
FriddanOct 17, 2017 2:43 PM
Oct 17, 2017 2:42 PM

Sep 2015
I think Monkey has some kind of mind control-like ability. "Killing peacefully", I'm guessing everyone's gonna commit suicide fighting for her.
Oct 17, 2017 3:00 PM
Feb 2012
Rudan said:
its retarded how the ED already spoils the order the characters are gonna die, we probably already know whos gonna win and is the most boring character lol

It looks like ED just shows the Chinese zodiac animals in reverse order. Traditional order is: Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, Pig.
Oct 17, 2017 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
Shit. What's with these cocky characters, they piss me off. Death just serves them right.

Monkey is next, huh?
Horse is ok, isn't he? Still, I wanna know what happened after the fight.
Oct 17, 2017 3:11 PM
Apr 2016
Anyone trying to... "stupidize? demonize?" Chicken can't grasp the situation - Monkey offered her a hand and trust, without (seemingly to all of us) any ulterior motive. Havvinng always been the deceiver, meeting the opposite - a decent being, had her conflicted. Did she hate Monkey for her ideals being so "out of reach"? Or did she hate herself for being unable to match those ideals herself? Mighty obvious, which is why she did not run.
Now,though, I have my reservations about Ox killing.....somebody, but Chicken was in it from the start, alas. I just hope Horse is Oky-Doky doing stuff.
Re:formed
Oct 17, 2017 3:17 PM
Apr 2016
CZPsycho said:
Well, here goes my theory. Everyone seems to know Rat, but they do not remember him. He won Juuni Taisen before and revived them. He is confident in his abilities to do it again and does not give a shit and sleeps all the time.

That would be plausible if not for all the backstories and the fact that Boar's father had won the last one, being crippled. So the best you can do is suggest that Rat is reviving them all in a loop for that exactly Juuni Taisen round. Else Rat must be able to rewrite realy, the backstories, the history etc. and basically becomes the creator, or author of this Juuni Taisen we see. Which is find *quite* impossible.
Koblihu?
Oct 17, 2017 3:25 PM

Dec 2015
I like this anime, but... I'm getting kinda bored with the same thing happening in every episode till now
They tell you the characters history, and then they die
I was the whole episode thinking: "ok, they are telling her history, so she will die this episode, probably"
I wish it doesn't stay the same for the rest of the anime
Oct 17, 2017 3:36 PM
May 2015
Two things most people didn't notice or discuss--
While Monkey and Chicken were talking over one another, Chicken's mouth was moving the whole time as if she was speaking out loud. She was also honest with Monkey very quickly early on in their encounter. Monkey also gave her a drink, and it was mentioned that it was 'sweet'-- Could have been poison, truth serum, or even an antidote.

Nezumi (rat) also probably has something to do with dreams. I'm surprised noone else had made this connection yet, but the guy is almost always asleep and every character thus far has made mention of DejaVu regarding him-- It would make quite a bit of sense if he was in their dreams at some point or similar. It's hinted at more than some shenanigans like time travel or otherwise, IMO.
Oct 17, 2017 3:38 PM
Apr 2016
Also by the look of the series poster (on the main series page on this very website) I will assume that those standing firm on the ground (everyone with the Monkey) are fine... "fine" lads, and the others being pictured otherwise are "twisted", not only on the picture itself. Go go Ox and Monkey, of course.

Does the translation of Ox's "Killing systematically" seem correct to others? The words he say suggests he is "simply killing", without any crap attached, but how "systematically" fits in the terms of "simplicity" , as in there is actually no system unless we can count the lack of the system a system itself, is beyond me.
Oct 17, 2017 3:42 PM

Jan 2014
No doubt it's the monkey's ability that killed the chicken.
Oct 17, 2017 3:47 PM

Oct 2015
KuroiKikyou said:
I like this anime, but... I'm getting kinda bored with the same thing happening in every episode till now
They tell you the characters history, and then they die
I was the whole episode thinking: "ok, they are telling her history, so she will die this episode, probably"
I wish it doesn't stay the same for the rest of the anime

Episode names already spoil who will die even before watching the episode... and they die in reverse order of chinese zodiac... So, don't think that much and enjoy the sight!
Oct 17, 2017 4:05 PM

Jan 2016
I hope they break the "past=death flag" pattern, and I hope that starts in the next episode where monkey is most probably the main focus of the episode

anyway, im really curious about the rat and why he seems familiar to some people hmmm.
Oct 17, 2017 4:25 PM

Dec 2015
So I have 2 questions with this anime:

1. Is this a joke? How long is the "Hey I'm gonna tell you about my past but I'll die towards the end of the episode" formula gonna continue??

2. Is the ED seriously spoiling the order at which the warriors are gonna die?? I mean, it's 3 out of 3 so far.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 17, 2017 4:30 PM
Feb 2014
Vacu0us said:
i actually wanted niwatori to survive. daMN, i thought maybe she would have eventually gone back to the others (but that was wishful thinking).

seems like whoever's perspective we see will end up dying

ikr she was so good but going by the other 2 eps she was next on death list
Oct 17, 2017 4:34 PM

Mar 2013
I find it funny to see all the people complaining about the predictability of the deaths, as if the show wasn't completely aware of that,I mean it's in the damn teasers, the partern is extremely clear and it is made by Nisioisin, everyone should expect the story to be delivered in an unconventional way

Oct 17, 2017 4:47 PM

Oct 2014
If there's one thing I commend from Juuni Taisen, it's how they keep the personalities of each assassins in line with the animals the assassins represent.
although it also looks kinda stupid, of how Rooster blame Dog's drug for her own anguish. But well, they gotta keep with the whole Rooster-Dog hurting combo.
Oct 17, 2017 4:52 PM

Oct 2017
If we're going to go with predictability, I wonder if the ED is a clue in itself. I mean, I didn't want to think so, since Snake is in the ED and he died first before this all started. But the ED follows the Chinese Zodiac order in reverse and the order is shown in the ED as:

boar - died, episode 1
dog - died, episode 2
chicken - died, episode 3
monkey - will most likely die next in episode 4
sheep
horse (it wasn't shown whether he was killed by Ox, so I presume he's still alive since it was revealed he has Ironclad defenses, but we'll see)
snake (I'm only guessing it's Snake because of the Chinese Zodiac reverse order but since he's the dragon's twin, I can't tell for sure. I know he's been decapitated but since he's a walking dead, I'm guessing he'll be like boar and gets taken out of the game permanently in this order)
dragon (same goes with Dragon, following reverse order of the Chinese Zodiac)
rabbit
tiger
ox
rat

Not sure how solid this theory is but we'll probably see if the series does follow this pattern of who dies next in 2 or 3 more episodes.
Oct 17, 2017 4:57 PM

Dec 2016
Ah so she was tricking Dog from the beginning, what a crafty girl she is, I would like to power up my stats to the max in the game I am currently playing.

Quite a handy technique, being able to make birds drop bombs on the enemy.

So much for the Boar, that was quite the brutal death.

Oh wow the Ox is amazing, taken out the Cow and then the Chicken so easily.

I suppose that was a fitting finale for her being eaten by her own birds.
Oct 17, 2017 5:05 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
joe_g7 said:
So I have 2 questions with this anime:

1. Is this a joke? How long is the "Hey I'm gonna tell you about my past but I'll die towards the end of the episode" formula gonna continue??

2. Is the ED seriously spoiling the order at which the warriors are gonna die?? I mean, it's 3 out of 3 so far.

and from the preview, it looks like it could be a 4 out of 4.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 17, 2017 5:16 PM
Sep 2017
The more I see, the more I'm convinced that the twist is that there is no twist. So many people here already are "No way Monkey dies next episode, she seems important". Of course she dies, every character thinks they're importantt and they will win the whole thing. It's a show about how you're wrong in thinking the world revolves around you.

If the ending to be believed, Rat will win the whole thing. My theory is that he will do literally nothing and all the other competitors just kill each other, while he's chilling out. I'm basing it solely on the fact that it's a Nisio Isin show. In Katanagatari - a show about swordfighting - 95% of named characters and literally hundreds of nonames die, and no one including the protagonists achieve anything, all to drive home the morale that swordfighting is pointless and doesn't achieve anything.
Oct 17, 2017 5:49 PM

Jun 2012
How did she knew Dog had super-human poison and why did she thought she could win against Ox but still didn't lift a finger to fight? Didn't get it...
Oct 17, 2017 5:59 PM

Jun 2012
mrdj304 said:
While Monkey and Chicken were talking over one another, Chicken's mouth was moving the whole time as if she was speaking out loud. She was also honest with Monkey very quickly early on in their encounter. Monkey also gave her a drink, and it was mentioned that it was 'sweet'-- Could have been poison, truth serum, or even an antidote.

Hmm, if all my years off watching anime have at least teach me something, is that "amai"(sweet) has another meaning in Japanese which is "naive", that's what the "sweet" part meant, it's lost in translation... Still the part where Monkey did something, I think you are on to something. An antidote could explain why she couldn't react to Ox, don't know why but it still sounds a bit farfetched though.
Oct 17, 2017 6:09 PM

Sep 2017
The title spoilers are real. This seems to be moving really fast.
Oct 17, 2017 6:15 PM
Jul 2014
Why do you have to kill off all the females first Nisio Isin? The fuck.

Monkey also happens to be my zodiac animal and it's looking like she's next. :/
Oct 17, 2017 6:16 PM

Aug 2016
staranise said:
If we're going to go with predictability, I wonder if the ED is a clue in itself. I mean, I didn't want to think so, since Snake is in the ED and he died first before this all started. But the ED follows the Chinese Zodiac order in reverse and the order is shown in the ED as:

boar - died, episode 1
dog - died, episode 2
chicken - died, episode 3
monkey - will most likely die next in episode 4
sheep
horse (it wasn't shown whether he was killed by Ox, so I presume he's still alive since it was revealed he has Ironclad defenses, but we'll see)
snake (I'm only guessing it's Snake because of the Chinese Zodiac reverse order but since he's the dragon's twin, I can't tell for sure. I know he's been decapitated but since he's a walking dead, I'm guessing he'll be like boar and gets taken out of the game permanently in this order)
dragon (same goes with Dragon, following reverse order of the Chinese Zodiac)
rabbit
tiger
ox
rat

Not sure how solid this theory is but we'll probably see if the series does follow this pattern of who dies next in 2 or 3 more episodes.

Yeah, this. People in this thread are putting the cart before the horse: the reverse order of the zodiac is marking them for death, so then they get an episode focused on their backstory before they buy it.

Having said that, I still have hope that the show will twist things around, and Monkey's secret plan breaks the trend. I'd like there to be at least a little bit of unpredictability to the plot.
Oct 17, 2017 6:30 PM
May 2015
Snaita said:
mrdj304 said:

Hmm, if all my years off watching anime have at least teach me something, is that "amai"(sweet) has another meaning in Japanese which is "naive", that's what the "sweet" part meant, it's lost in translation... Still the part where Monkey did something, I think you are on to something. An antidote could explain why she couldn't react to Ox, don't know why but it still sounds a bit farfetched though.

She immediately said 'too much sugar?' though, so unless the dub is trash or she made a play on words i think it likely meant something.

My thought process of an antidote would be like, Monkey sneaks antidote to all parties who want to help her(with a knockout med too), everyone passes out, she takes all the crystals, makes her wish, and they all wake up. Anyone not with her would have probably died.

Just a thought
Oct 17, 2017 6:55 PM

Jan 2011
3 episodes in and it is following this pattern guess i was too early on hoping they would mix it up it's gotten to the point of being too predicable that saying it's deliberate is putting it lightly i wonder if they are just waiting for us to think it's always gonna be this way to surprise us.

so cruel to do away with most of the waifus i knew that old man and rabbit were gonna be safe most of the game.
Oct 17, 2017 7:09 PM
Aug 2017
Is Monkey controlling Niwatori's mind while fighting Ox ? She consiously do a fighting stance while she doesn't want to.

However,the show is pretty predictable and it's no fun.
Silvia_AurelineOct 17, 2017 9:48 PM
Oct 17, 2017 7:24 PM

Jun 2012
mrdj304 said:

She immediately said 'too much sugar?' though, so unless the dub is trash or she made a play on words i think it likely meant something.

My thought process of an antidote would be like, Monkey sneaks antidote to all parties who want to help her(with a knockout med too), everyone passes out, she takes all the crystals, makes her wish, and they all wake up. Anyone not with her would have probably died.

Just a thought

If you watch it dubbed than there's really no way to understand the double meanings, cause she only said the word "sweet" on that particularly line and she could be implying the two meanings(sweet and naive) at the same time, still I may be wrong there's no way to prove what I said xD
Your thought of process is interesting since she doesn't want to cause unnecessary bloodshed, on the other hand I thought she would kill them all with their consent(peacefully) and revive them at the end, just like she wished at the beginning, but I think she will die though...
SnaitaOct 17, 2017 7:27 PM
Oct 17, 2017 7:35 PM

Aug 2013
Nisio Isin really hated Boar I guess.

Can surmise that Horse got killed off screen since Ox doesn't lose.

Chicken got fucked. Started to get stabbed in the head, managed to dodge, only to get immediately stabbed in the head again.

I was going to guess (and after this episode it seems I'm not the only one) that Monkey's ability is to manipulate people with her words. Her tag-line killing by peace seems to hint at it, since she is known for stopping countless wars...yet shes also in a battle royal of the 12 strongest people. Chicken went into the sewers hopped up on One Man Army, and both Monkey and Rat were defenseless ready to be killed, yet Chicken constantly found herself giving in to the conversation that Monkey was leading: "hey I'm glad you're here, what's going on up there? Do you want a drink?" etc. And Chicken always followed along even when in her head it didn't seem right. And what really drove it home is how her mind was telling her to drop arm and run since Ox would probably let her go, but her body instinctively reacted to save/defend Monkey though she had no reason to. I bet her power wont work on certain people though, like Rat, probably not Rabbit either. It might depend on the person's mental state. People either too sane or too insane are unaffected.

People keep hypothesizing that Rat's power is to alter peoples minds and stuff and enter their dreams. Maybe. It's definitely a good possibility. I want to guess though that his power has to do with concealing his presence and just being forgettable. Just like a rat, he can be everywhere and see and sneak up on everything, but you may never see him or pay enough attention to care. Perhaps the reason that everyone thinks they either know him or have seen him somewhere before...is because they have. As a rat, perhaps he's scouted and spied on all of them beforehand: been on the same train as them, gone to the same restaurant as them, acted as a hired bodyguard or cab driver for them. A role where he's close enough to their personal life where he can eavesdrop on them, hell maybe even talked with them, but impersonal enough that he can leave and he'll be forgotten like a face they just passed on the street.
Oct 17, 2017 7:37 PM

Jul 2016
Really hoping they throw in some big twist that breaks the pattern cause I need my not predictable battle royale fix.

Hell, Battle Royale itself was predictable, but this doesn't have to be. Just get rid of rabbit next and I'll be happy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2017 7:39 PM

Jun 2014
Damn that was brutal, sword straight through the face and out the back.
Oct 17, 2017 7:51 PM

Feb 2013
WTF Monkey you are feaken Scary!
Oct 17, 2017 7:55 PM

Mar 2014
Putting aside the "following the zodiac order backwards" and "whoever is narrating dies" the title of the episode was even titled "Cutting a Chicken with a Beef Cleaver" basically telling us who kills Chicken and this is shown right after the op in the beginning of the episode. The biggest thing I don't like about this show so far isn't the predictability of who's going to die but just how anti-climatic the deaths so far has been. Like it's okay to pull one or two of these kind of deaths but so far the least anti-climatic death was Boar and that in itself was already pretty anti-climatic.
Oct 17, 2017 8:21 PM

Oct 2015
Illyricus said:
ReguIus said:
Now I wonder what Monkeys power is. Chicken blamed her actions on One man army but I wouldn't be so sure. How did monkey manage to get many countries at war to cease fire? She's gotta be a puppet master
Now that you have brought that point to the table... you may be right. It's very weird that just a single person managed to convince entire countries to stop their wars that easily, it wouldn't be surprising if she has an ability able to control (or at least influence) people like she wants.

Shicchi said:

I'm no anatomy expert either but pretty sure there are some rare cases where a direct stab to the brain not resulting in death (depends a lot on the position)
Then again her psysical ability was at it's max due to Dog right? So that must be that too.
The drug thing sounds convincing enough. I will take that theory then.

or you know, people dont actually die when they are killed and shiro is wrong
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Oct 17, 2017 8:26 PM
Jan 2017
It's good..but this is getting predictable.
Oct 17, 2017 8:34 PM

Jan 2013
yup...at this rate especially next week, its definitely going by the Zodiac in reverse order.
Oct 17, 2017 9:18 PM

Nov 2013
It was pretty stupid of Niwatori to drink what Shuryuu gave her. And it's quite obvious, that she was manipulated by Shuryuu. She either has some kind of mind control ability or the drink was drugged.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Should I avoid watching the ED until after I've finished the series?

Jax - Jan 22

4 by StarlightShiba »»
Jan 31, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2017

211 by Stuntdrath »»
Dec 27, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2017

197 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 7:28 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2017

112 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2017

222 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 5:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.