Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 23, 2018 9:21 AM
Sep 2018
PerfectPhoenix said:
When I watched this for first time I was also disappointed that this was the #1 rated anime that time. Then again if shows like fairy tail and SAO can have so many fans, it's not surprising that Your Name is so high rated.

exactly,this is the main reason i think,but heres the thing OP,u r wrong when u asked "why ppl loved it?" because why not? theres a reason for that,and i think the real question is why its above 9+ and rank 2 just for that "reason".back to the sao reason again.
it doesnt mean that everyone who come to bully u here is right,like some of them saying something like
1."art is 10 but story and other things not even close" then why its no 2 in rank?
2."if clannad,shigatsu and etc can get high score for same reason,why kmi no na wa can not?",the real question is,is shigatsu or clannad at rank 2? no right? because "reasons"
or something stupid like :
1."oh you like this,your review,or your profile blablabla is make all u said is irrelevant to everything in this world" LMAO,my 1st laugh at this one,i laugh so F hard.
2.same as no 1,"oh its a troll acc,cmon guys,how long do u think ppl talking about something in the forum like this in internet with being "anonymous",ppl still talk about "troll acc","not reall acc"? LMAO,yeah this acc is troll acc too,look my nickname "trolling around" LMAO,i lost my S here XD
3.or again,comparing it with some series ppl called it "masterpiece" who actually not even close to rank 2,they admit it better than kimi no na wa,but at the same time they said kimi no na wa better overall,i be like "wait,what?" lol
so yeah in the end,whats wrong about u is ur question,it should be "why this MEDIOCRE show can be at rank 2?" instead of why ppl like it,i mean,this show is good,but not a masterpiece at rank 2 lol,neither its a S*it show like sao.
Oct 4, 2018 12:22 AM

Aug 2009
Kemuri07 said:
dc22 said:
Same reason why they like Violet Evergarden.

Pretty colors.

So...this sort of attitude, frankly, bothers me. And it isnt with just Your Name, but seems to follow anime, television and film on general. Basically the idea that the visual language in film is not important; the only thing that matters is the plotplotplotplotplot.

Look, obviously plot is important,it is the thing that gets the audience to engage with and empathize with the chsracters. but the presentation is just as important. The reason why Your Name was such a massive success is primarily because of how it was directed: the visuals, the music, the editing, all of it combined to have an emotional effect on its audience. And while I agree with some criticisms of YN's narrative shortcomings, ultimately they didn't really matter to me because I was swept away by it. Is it a masterpiece? Honestly, I don't think it matters.

Going back to my original point. I get why people tend to dismiss the visual component of anime/film because they think it makes their opinions seem more "intelligent." Personally, I find judging film from such a cold, analytical place defeats the purpose of watching a movie. Films are meant to be an emotionally experience. I mean how can you embrace film if you're too busy jotting down "plot holes" (ugh I really hate how that word has been transformed into something meaningless)

And yes, I like Violet Evergarden because the "pretty colors" add to the tone of the show.

Thank you for saying this. It's so accurate. I always see film/animation as an emotional journey. I think its best to just sit back and watch whats in front of you without expectations to thrust onto it. Allow the movie to be what it is, and soak everything up from the visuals, audio, plot, and characters. And then and only then can you wholeheartedly watch and understand the journey.

I really enjoyed this movie.

Oct 10, 2018 3:14 PM

Jul 2011
Because it was heavily hyped.
& People love hyped things.
Voila!
Oct 16, 2018 3:37 PM
Oct 2018
cuz it made my cry like a bitch for 2 hours
Oct 19, 2018 8:14 AM

Sep 2013
Well if Mark Kermode loved it, there must be something to it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpwXATNGUsQ
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2018 10:06 PM

May 2018
Mickdrew said:
Well if Mark Kermode loved it, there must be something to it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpwXATNGUsQ

Elon Musk(founder and CEO of SpaceX,Tesla) like it, so Your Name is objectively good.

Oct 22, 2018 11:03 PM
Oct 2017
In my opinion its because of how moving and just emotional it is form the music to animation it feels like a real story i dont get why people call it mediocre for me at least it was very nice form the animation to music to characters because i also see a lot of people say the characters are boring or such but they felt real people dont tend to develop like typical anime characters do.

At the end of the day the movie moed people and made them feel something and not just hype or thrill like most anime but more emotional and personal feelings and i think it deserves its spot
Oct 23, 2018 3:27 PM

Oct 2016
The movie's start was kinda exciting to discovers for me ... until on an certain moment. The encounter between the two of them in the end made me like "meh k and then?". Well, I was a bit confused but it's not what I will call a bad movie for, the plot came too obvious and was simply boring. I'll leave a 8/10 instead of 7 because of the movie's concept.
DeirdruMar 1, 2021 5:00 PM
Nov 4, 2018 7:09 AM
Oct 2018
Maybe MAL staff are too emotional about this anime. This anime have same thing about another drama anime.
Nov 4, 2018 7:25 AM
Oct 2018
Even hayao miyazaki never watch this anime
Nov 26, 2018 2:24 AM
Oct 2018
The biggest reason why I love this movie so much the concept of longing for something, but not knowing what it is, really struck a chord with me. The animation, symbolism, and music, I all also really enjoyed.
I wouldn't say there were no exciting plot twists. The plot twists kept seperating Taki and Mitsuha further, which made it all the more satisfying when they met at the end of the movie, even if they didn't completely remember each other. Especially the time plot twist, which caught me completely off guard.
A lot of people might think that the beginning is too slow when Taki and Mitsuha are body switching, without this part and the bonding between them, their relationship would feel fake. After all, this is a romance film, so it needs to have real-feeling romance with characters who genuinely love one another. Obviously being able to see entirely into one-another's lives would speed up this process, but bonding time is still important. The movie has three different tones (I'm not sure if this is the right word) that I recognize: Love, mystery, action, then longing, which helps the movie feel fresh throughout.
Not every movie has to be original, but it is essential that your own style, take, and twists are put on it to keep it from being too similar to other movies. Although the basic plot of Kimi no Na wa is not original, Makoto Shinkai put his amazing style, take, and twists on it. This is why so many isekai anime are so bad: It's because they don't do anything new or have a different point of view. The ones that do, like Re: Zero, become very popular. So judging something purely based on it's basic concept not being completely original is not really valid in my opinion, and is unfair to the creator.
Of course, this is my own opinion, and you have yours. Not everybody will all like the same things because everybody has different tastes. I'm not trying to say that you are wrong, but I'm just showing you my point of view because you asked. Sorry if this doesn't make sense or went off the rails, but anyways I hope this helps!
ba11sdeep69Nov 26, 2018 2:29 AM
Dec 16, 2018 7:53 AM
Mar 2018
Because people simply love it.
Because they know how to like it.
Because they know how to love it.
And because they never give a shit about hating anime nor how to hate it.

btw OP, there is no such thing as objectivism here, especially on MAL. You can make up several reasons for either why a anime is trash or masterpiece all you want but at the end, subjectivism still takes part in that. Also, another advice here, DON'T judge anime(yeah, it's dumb to say so). There won't be any so-called masterpiece if judgement is involved; just accept, enjoy and don't bother to find flaws. And if you can't do that, well, 1/10 is still a rate, right?
Dec 16, 2018 8:15 AM

Apr 2018
Are those things that "With little is much done." Kimi no Na Wa has a fairly simple story with a fairly executed direction, script and cast; a good soundtrack and pretty delicate art. It's a beautiful movie, personally.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Feb 1, 2019 11:29 AM

Sep 2014
Overrated. I had more feels watching The Girl Who Leapt Through Time than this movie (and I watched that years ago) was never a fan of Makoto Shinkai films. The art is the only decent part about his movies. I was bored near the end of this one and just wanted it to end already.

« »
đź”® Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Feb 1, 2019 12:45 PM

Nov 2018
Take out Makoto Shinkai's name, make the art standard, and leave everything else in place (including the soundtrack). The result will be a film which will pass through like the dozens of other anime films made every year, with no chance of getting an average score above 7.

To be fair, the first part of the movie was promising; the body switching could have been used to intelligently discuss gender-related issues. But it didn't take long before mediocrity took over.

Makoto Shinkai is at his best when he keeps it simple, raw, and real, like in the beautiful "5 Centimeters Per Second" and "Garden of Words". Once he starts piling on the fantasies he loses his edge.
Feb 4, 2019 1:14 PM

May 2008
theres nothing wrong with a "simple story", i cried like 3 times while watching the fox and the hound (disney movie) but kimi no na wa made me feel nothing
i think its just one of these shows/movies where you have to like the characters to like the show/movie? and i didnt like the characters at all, imo the movies' biggest problem is that its not really doing a good job at delivering emotions? i mean im a crybaby, i can even cry about characters i hate if the scene is well done but kimi no na wa doesnt really have any good sad scenes

the scenery is beautiful tho
Feb 6, 2019 8:15 PM
Dec 2018
Just finished, and I have no idea how this clusterfuck of a story impressed so many people. The amount of plot holes and plot conveniences in this movie is crazy.
A little bit of precision for a large amount of clarity
Feb 11, 2019 10:42 PM

Jul 2014
TL;DR WARNING I LITERALLY JUST FINISHED WATCHING IT SO EXCUSE THE LONG ASS RANT.

A little late on replying to this thread but tbh I though it was just okay. Being rated over 9+ and ranked #2 for so long I thought it was gonna be one of the greatest anime I've ever seen I mean there are thousands and thousands of anime and this is #2 on MAL for this long and its not really that exciting to be frank. Maybe it woulda worked better as a normal episode style instead of a movie but the characters moved way too fast.

I mean why did they even fall in love in the first place?? They spent what looked like a few weeks (maybe a month or two at most) swapping bodies every other day with their only interaction being the logs they kept while they were in each others bodies. What prompted them to fall in love so hard that he literally trekked up a mountain during a storm and didn't even have a crush on his co-worker anymore? Then her friends are like "yeah ill blow up this power plant I have THAT much faith you know the future" As the audience its easy to look at her dad for example and think "what an asshole fucking listen to her you're all gonna die!" but in their shoes hes 100% right I woulda had her looked at by a doctor too who would blow up a power station on the 1% chance she was right? That isn't a slap on the wrist lol he'd be going to actual prison if they found out it was him.

Then he writes "I Love You" instead of his name like an idiot and once he's back to his own time doesn't IMMEDIATELY write her name down for some goddamn reason. Like broooo you couldn't have fucking waited to say "I Love You" and written your name down. But he wanted to be all cute and get some points...luckily for him he's in an anime and Tokyo is really a small town where you'll just happen to bump into somebody you don't even know exists.

All in all it was like a 6.5/10 everyone saying it was emotional or made them feel feelings can't say I agree for all the points I listed above. I mean I've seen all the classic sad anime and I have cried my eyes out on Clannad but I didn't even get close to shedding a tear for these characters that I didn't even care about. Again probably because it was a movie so they can't really have character development their relationship seemed forced and made no sense so why would I be sad/happy they did/didn't end up together? RANT OVER I LITERALLY JUST FINISHED WATCHING IT SO EXCUSE THE LONG ASS RANT.
Life is something that can never be lived twice. Even this pointless act will eventually end. And while thinking that one day, I'll surely regret its end.
Feb 20, 2019 6:17 AM
Jan 2018
I don't get it either it was a sub par anime movie in terms of writing. It looked stunning but it was riddled with plot holes and had characters with less personality than your average isekai trash show. I gave it a 5 because the animation and soundtracks made it somewhat entertaining.
Feb 22, 2019 5:01 AM
Feb 2019
Because if you sit down and watch this film, and it works for you, it REALLY works. I don't have the filmmaking expertise to break down to you why I think this movie is great, but I don't need it. All I can really say is this movie made me feel things that not many other movies have. And a lot of other people feel the same. This movie obviously didn't work for you, and that's fine. But for me, watching it was a wonderful and emotionally captivating experience that I will not soon forget. and that's why I love it.
Feb 26, 2019 2:38 AM
Dec 2018
Ive never cried so much because of a film, i felt like really connected with the characters and so the sad parts killed me super hard
Mar 7, 2019 5:02 PM

Jul 2016
Was a very nice movie with an interesting plot idea and some absolutely beautiful cinematography.

I give it a solid 7/10 because while I enjoyed it, I would likely not watch again.
Mar 8, 2019 1:21 AM

Feb 2019
All highly-rated shows are overrated.
Unless of course, I agree with the rating, then it's not overrated.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 3, 2019 12:35 PM
Aug 2015
Only retard would make these thread.
Jun 7, 2019 5:32 PM

Oct 2010
basically because normies

this movie was trash , it was full of lapses of logic and the plot was bad and unfun

sure the art was great but the art is great in better movies than this one
lots of music -
Jun 7, 2019 7:43 PM

May 2019
incisorr said:
basically because normies

this movie was trash , it was full of lapses of logic and the plot was bad and unfun

sure the art was great but the art is great in better movies than this one

Are you sure about that?
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s
Jun 7, 2019 8:05 PM

Oct 2017
because its sparkly
Jun 7, 2019 8:12 PM
Jul 2018
It looks beautiful and the plot is all over the place which probably hypes people up while they're watching. And fated love stories are popular with people.
Jun 8, 2019 4:00 AM

Oct 2010
HungryForQuality said:
It looks beautiful and the plot is all over the place which probably hypes people up while they're watching. And fated love stories are popular with people.

everyone hates love stories cus ppl think they're cheesy, except me, i love love stories and i hate this movie

how was the "plot all over the place"? the plot had some stupid magical phenomenon that made no sense whatsoever and it wasn't justified and explained and it tried to sound like forced drama to make people excited when in reality it was cringy and bad

lots of music -
Jun 9, 2019 10:13 AM

Jul 2016
People like beautiful visuals and pretty colors.
Jun 9, 2019 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
kingraptor724 said:
Honestly I was extremely unimpressed for what it was rated, and yet its still at the top of mal. What is so great about this anime, the characters werent even interesting. And the whole switching bodies with someone that wished a different life is not unique at all. The story was very simple like a disney movie with no exciting plot twists or anything... Why do people love this.

You said it. I still feel like my rating of 7 was too high. I get that the art and sound are stunning (they really are) but the story made absolutely zero sense to me (that is, I had more questions than answers at the end of the movie). I guess it's the same crowd that watched Shigatsu ha kimi no uso, Koe no katachi, and all the other slice-of-life-with-gorgeous-animation-and-soundtrack anime/movies that caused this hype.
removed-userJun 9, 2019 12:30 PM
Jun 17, 2019 11:24 AM
Aug 2018
Cause it's just their opinion. People don't judge anime based on logic. I found very no one who could provide actual points why this is good. Any Ghibli film is better than this
Jul 14, 2019 5:52 PM
Jul 2019
Because it's a really well made movie, and one of my personal favorites (not just animated; favorite movie overall). I can't speak for anyone else, though.

I do want to mention, however, my problems with people who call this movie bad because of plot and/or characterization. I think people forget how much art and sound factor into how good a movie is. It's not like we're reviewing a book here! Also, I think many people here review plot and characterization from the perspective of watching mainly TV shows, and that's really not very fair. TV shows can present narratives with significantly more complexity and nuance, and have characters more fleshed out, because of a much longer runtime. That's why media review sites that focus more on movies (Letterboxd, Rotten Tomatoes, etc.) give this film consistent universal acclaim, while here it almost feels like the people who didn't like this outnumber those that do (even though statistically, that's not true).

I think Kimi No Na Wa had _excellent_ characterization and plot structuring. Mitsuha and Taki are wonderful characters because they both have strong personalities. Call them generic, sure; but since when was that a requirement for good characters? Lots of great movies are all about putting ordinary people in extra-ordinary circumstances, and this film does that perfectly. As I said before, these characters are both really fun to watch on-screen due to their energetic and short-tempered personalities, and by the end I really was rooting for them. Honestly, I've never felt so attached to main characters before; and believe me, I've seen a lot of great movies.

The plot was fantastic. It was layered and had a perfectly executed twist that causes a complete tonal shift. This was actually what made this film go from a 8 to a 10, for me. Just like Taki, we are longing to see Mitsuha again; after all, all the hilarious antics they had together have suddenly come to a stop, and I felt a
longing for them to find each-other again. The way details are revealed in the story, especially building up to the climax, is fantastic. Again, this is all personal opinion. But more people agree with me on this than you might think.

As for plot holes: so what? It never detracted from my experience of the movie. Also, hindsight is 20/20: it's easy to say 'Wow, they never looked at the date? Plot convenience!'. But hold on; did you ever think that the characters should actively check what the date is, before the twist is revealed, the first time you say this? Of course not! We just don't think of things like what year it is that often; it's almost always a background thing in our lives, that we just know instinctively. Combine that with the fact that they're in a totally different environment, where they have to be acutely aware of a bunch of different things simultaneously because they're not acclimated to it, and it may become obvious why a small detail like this could easily be missed. Don't forget that the whole experience feels to them like a dream, so they don't remember too much after they wake up. Basically, it's not a big deal. It seems really unfortunate that people discredit the really solid plot based off this one nit-picky detail. For me, it seemed totally reasonable that they may not realize the time difference. Others obviously don't feel that way. For Makoto Shinkai, he obviously held the former mindset.

If you didn't like it, cool. I didn't like A Silent Voice all that much, so there's my controversial opinion. Remember that not everyone likes the same things. Which is good; otherwise, life would be pretty darn boring.
GoddessOfSwansJul 14, 2019 6:06 PM

Criticism is cheap. There are flaws in everything. No work of art will be loved by everyone. Now can everyone just chill?
Aug 3, 2019 6:15 AM

Aug 2017
Because people likes mediocre things.They don't want to put effort in to understand,watching or reading something too compless,instead they prefer easy emotional tearjerk train wrecker which has the same boring formula and clichés
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2019 5:06 PM

May 2008
No idea. Just watched it after putting it off for forever...
It looks pretty, that's about it... the few times I felt invested or emotional they always abruptly cut it off with no payoff.
6/10 but only because of the pretty backdrops, otherwise probably a 4 or 5/10.
Dec 3, 2019 7:52 AM
Feb 2019
I didn’t find this movie to be that impactful as well, except maybe for a few scenes here and there, but doesn’t come close to some other drama anime’s. It might be because I watched it at home pirated, but I much preferred A Silent Voice. Not a bad movie though, just not for me.
Dec 16, 2019 9:05 AM
Oct 2019
Tenkensmile said:
kingraptor724 said:
Honestly I was extremely unimpressed for what it was rated, and yet its still at the top of mal. What is so great about this anime, the characters werent even interesting. And the whole switching bodies with someone that wished a different life is not unique at all. The story was very simple like a disney movie with no exciting plot twists or anything... Why do people love this.

I share the same opinion. Why do many people like it? The hype. That's all.

I find the story, characters, music very mediocre. Only the animation is good.
If you found the music mediocre you must check your ears soon
Jan 3, 2020 12:00 PM

Jul 2019
this guy gave steins gate a 2 lmaooo
Jan 3, 2020 12:10 PM

Dec 2018
You people do realise that things called opinions and taste exist. Just because you liked something doesn’t mean everyone else did and just because you thought something was bad doesn’t mean everyone else thinks it’s bad. Just because the mean score of something isn’t what you thought it deserved doesn’t mean that everyone else has shit opinions it just means you have different tastes, views and opinions to other people that watched it. Having different tastes, views and opinions doesn’t make you special, it makes you human.
Jan 3, 2020 12:56 PM

Oct 2018
This is pretty much an overrated/underrated thread, if you wish to discuss whether you feel a show is underrated or overrated, please use the Dedicated Thread

Thread Locked
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1387 by Hphone »»
Apr 23, 4:51 AM

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.