Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 6, 2017 7:48 PM

Jan 2016
Honestly I was extremely unimpressed for what it was rated, and yet its still at the top of mal. What is so great about this anime, the characters werent even interesting. And the whole switching bodies with someone that wished a different life is not unique at all. The story was very simple like a disney movie with no exciting plot twists or anything... Why do people love this.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2017 9:12 PM

Oct 2015
Because it moved them? I mean why else would shows like Shigatsu, Clannad etc. have higher ratings. Being unique shouldn't even be questioned. As if there's anything unique in this day and age. As you said it's very simple and yet compelling at the same time. If you're expecting anything heavier than that then I don't know what you were expecting. It had nice visuals, sound and directing that made the anime successful. Simple yet beautiful. Not everything has to be complicated nor unique to make a show good
Oct 7, 2017 6:14 PM

Sep 2015
I don't know about there not being exciting plot twists, but pretty much what @EGOIST stated. People, including myself, really enjoy this movie because it was able to make the simple compelling again. No other reason; I think the movie is appreciated mostly for how much heart it has in its production and concept, for which can captivate newcomers and veteran otaku alike.
Oct 7, 2017 7:26 PM

May 2016
Kimi no na wa is a movie that I personally believe can only be experienced in the cinema theater as its most powerful aspects were music and art.
A 7 in a pirated version
10 in the big screen
Oct 8, 2017 9:33 AM

Nov 2016
because people love what they love, not what you love.
Oct 9, 2017 1:37 AM

Sep 2016
I'm really want to know what kind of anime movies you're in then, lol.

I'm curious to understand the tastes of a person with Adolf Hitler in his favourite people section.

edit: just saw your anime ratings nevermind lmao
FullyChargedOct 9, 2017 1:41 AM
bruh
Oct 10, 2017 7:16 AM

Nov 2012
Just like everyone said, it's not about the originality of the concept, it's about the execution and the emotions. I really loved this movie.
You could say many of the ideas in this movie are similar to steins;gate, erased, freaky friday (or the hot chick if you want to get specific into the girl/boy body switch, and those are just the ones I remember, not the oldest), there's no denying that. I can't fault you if this movie didn't impact you, though, that's something subjective.
Gotta say I didn't watch it until they brought it to my country LAST WEEK, I wasn't expecting it in hype or anything, I just missed it when everyone was torrenting it. And yep, I'd say watching it on the big screen is definitely a plus.
Oct 10, 2017 7:21 AM

Jan 2013
I'm with op here.
I really don't see what's the big deal. The plot has been done a million times over, and the eye-candy can't be worth a 10 alone :/
Oct 10, 2017 7:32 AM

Aug 2015
mainly music and animation

decent plot although I would have much prefered it if in the end they forgot each other and moved on with their lifes
I should have known it.
The rest of the world doesn't exist.
Oct 10, 2017 10:51 AM

Sep 2016
kchorrex2012 said:
Just like everyone said, it's not about the originality of the concept, it's about the execution and the emotions. I really loved this movie.
You could say many of the ideas in this movie are similar to steins;gate, erased, freaky friday (or the hot chick if you want to get specific into the girl/boy body switch, and those are just the ones I remember, not the oldest), there's no denying that. I can't fault you if this movie didn't impact you, though, that's something subjective.
Gotta say I didn't watch it until they brought it to my country LAST WEEK, I wasn't expecting it in hype or anything, I just missed it when everyone was torrenting it. And yep, I'd say watching it on the big screen is definitely a plus.

Exactly.

And the big screen is a huge deal as well. I saw it twice, torrented when it went out in Japan, and in cinema when it went out in my country. I got astounded twice.

CondemneDio said:
I'm with op here.
The plot has been done a million times over, and the eye-candy can't be worth a 10 alone :/

It can. If not then, I see too many ratings above 6 in your profile. Everything is a ripoff of something else, even the first anime in 1917. Nothing is original, thus nothing deserves a 10 for having everything else "alone". Go lower your ratings now =D

suncitygril said:
mainly music and animation

decent plot although I would have much prefered it if in the end they forgot each other and moved on with their lifes

Just watch almost any other Makoto Shinkai movie then :D
bruh
Oct 10, 2017 10:55 AM

Jan 2013
@FullyCharged
Oh yes, that's true.
I just think that while the plot was in the end a rip-off, it was also shitty.
Oct 10, 2017 11:06 AM

Jan 2017
Lmao Just stfu op
Your stupidity is unbelievable, every thread you make is more more stupid than its antecedent
I agree this movie is overated tho not as much overated as code gueass tho
Oct 10, 2017 11:10 AM

Sep 2016
CondemneDio said:
@FullyCharged
Oh yes, that's true.
I just think that while the plot was in the end a rip-off, it was also shitty.

The important part is that we agree on something ^^
bruh
Oct 10, 2017 11:11 AM

Sep 2017
Watched it in theater and its good.

Watched it in my laptop. I want to kms.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 10, 2017 11:16 AM

Jul 2015
FullyCharged said:
edit: just saw your anime ratings nevermind lmao

What's wrong with his ratings?
Oct 10, 2017 11:17 AM

Jan 2014
You literally answered your question in your rant, OP. It's the same reason people love Ghibli. It's the style. It reminds them of Disney. Personally, I think Ghibli is overrated with the exception of like two movies. But I can understand why people get attached to it.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 11, 2017 9:12 AM

Aug 2013
There is a high probability that you didn't understand this movie at all.
kingraptor724 said:
The story was very simple like a disney movie

Or rather I'm 99% sure of it. Not surprising for a person with shounen filled favlist.
It's simple only on surface.

http://aminoapps.com/page/anime/4398202/analysis-kimi-no-na-wa
https://pastebin.com/JjdH7CZu

FullyCharged said:

I'm curious to understand the tastes of a person with Adolf Hitler in his favourite people section.

It's probably just a troll profile :)
rsc-plOct 11, 2017 1:16 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 11, 2017 10:03 AM

May 2012
Yes, this anime is just so overrated. When I saw this anime at top of rating, I was expecting something big, but I was totally disappointed. It is just a mediocre movie and I have seen many better movies

Sword Art Online movie was much more entertaining

Koe no Katachi was also better. It has deeper more emotional story
Oct 11, 2017 11:09 PM
Nov 2016
People just love the entire atmosphere the movie creates, with it's art and music. Are there plot holes? Yes, but that doesn't take anything away from the emotional impact this movie has. That's why people, including me, love this movie.
Oct 12, 2017 11:59 AM
Sep 2016
Because the feels were good, the story however wasn't so impressive.

What made me give this movie a 10 was its soundtrack and the songs by RADWIMPS, all were amazing.

The art is pretty good, and it keeps you entertained for its entirety which is rare
Oct 12, 2017 12:22 PM

Aug 2017
Because this movie is visually appealing. It has a unique concept and a compelling plot. I was moved by the interaction between Mitsuha and Taki. It was a surreal experience. The soundtrack was amazing. The setting was very detailed and breathtaking. I enjoyed the Tokyo scenes and the shrines. It explored japanese culture to foreigners like me.

9/10

Oct 12, 2017 11:29 PM
Feb 2017
With no plot twist... waaaat?
Oct 12, 2017 11:46 PM
Jul 2018
it was an above average movie with great animation until the part when

and after that plot twist It went from a 8 to a 10.
Oct 13, 2017 1:56 AM
Oct 2016
TBH I was quite surprised it was rated so highly as well. I personally would have thought the ghibli films, for instance, would be much higher rated than 君の名は. I thought it was just a fairly typical love story with particularly unremarkable characters. The setting was beautifully done though - both the atmosphere (from animation + soundtrack) to the interweaving of traditional culture and city life. However, good characters are indispensable for a good story and in this movie, it falls way short of what the rating would have suggested.
Oct 13, 2017 5:54 PM

Nov 2012
I always rate fairly, I give it a 9/10
"The Goddess of victory is waving her underwear in your faces!"
Fritz Josef Bittenfield (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

Oct 13, 2017 6:33 PM

Oct 2017
Yes, I have to agree. I think my expectations were too high since it's at the top of the list, but I was SO unimpressed by it. My boyfriend and I had a hard time getting through it because we were BORED. But I see what other people are saying. I can see how it would be relatable and able to move someone - it just didn't move me lol.
Oct 13, 2017 6:57 PM
Feb 2017
When I watched this for first time I was also disappointed that this was the #1 rated anime that time. Then again if shows like fairy tail and SAO can have so many fans, it's not surprising that Your Name is so high rated.
Oct 13, 2017 7:25 PM
Mar 2016
Because of feelz. If you don't understand that, then try to. If you still can't, then give up and I suggest not to dwell on this topic.
Why ask here? Don't you have friends who like Kimi no Na wa?
crx07Oct 13, 2017 7:32 PM
Oct 14, 2017 3:50 AM

Jun 2016
kingraptor724 said:
Honestly I was extremely unimpressed for what it was rated, and yet its still at the top of mal. What is so great about this anime, the characters werent even interesting. And the whole switching bodies with someone that wished a different life is not unique at all. The story was very simple like a disney movie with no exciting plot twists or anything... Why do people love this.

Omfg. You literally pulled every word out of my mouth. Plotwise the movie is horrendous, the art sure is amazing which is the only good thing that came out of that movie. As expected from Shinkai. Lmfao. Never a fan of his works anyway.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 14, 2017 4:29 PM
Feb 2010
Ooooh the cringe in this post is so over the top.

It had feels, great interaction between the characters and a very good plot twist, with suspenseful and, what's rare for Shinkai, happy ending.

It's not always about how many good points a movie has, but how well it capitalizes on them, and Kimi no na ha, does great job at this.
Oct 14, 2017 6:10 PM

Jan 2016
Rufix said:

It had feels, great interaction between the characters and a very good plot twist, with suspenseful and, what's rare for Shinkai, happy ending.

It's not always about how many good points a movie has, but how well it capitalizes on them, and Kimi no na ha, does great job at this.

If the characters are so great then why are the favorites on mal for both MC's so painfully low?
Oct 14, 2017 6:15 PM

May 2015
kingraptor724 said:
Rufix said:

If the characters are so great then why are the favorites on mal for both MC's so painfully low?

Are you trying to say that favorites are a good way to judge how good a character is? Lol. How good the characters are is subjective anyway.
TsukuyomiREKTOct 14, 2017 6:28 PM

Oct 14, 2017 6:27 PM

Apr 2011
"Why are people different than me , everyone should like what I like "
Oct 14, 2017 7:25 PM

Jan 2016
Kittens-kun said:
kingraptor724 said:

Are you trying to say that favorites are a good way to judge how good a character is? Lol. How good the characters are is subjective anyway.

It is sort of accurate, L, light, holo etc Especially holo deserve to be high in the rankings
Oct 14, 2017 10:10 PM

Dec 2012
Was good but I'm not sure if it was thaaaattt good. Definitely up there. Maybe for me it was too predictable. Solid 8 for sure and maybe 9 at certain parts of the story. 10 for when tasogare musubi ended and last scene. Great character development for a subjectively short film imo. Much things to say.
Oct 14, 2017 10:11 PM

Aug 2014
It's almost like taste is a subjective metric really makes you think
Oct 14, 2017 11:35 PM
Oct 2017
Every great movie will always have skeptical viewers.

You will have to first give us your definition of "great movie" in your concept. It's quite subjective. For example, if you grade action film by the metric of romance, they'd be a pretty bad film.

Makoto Shinkai film is at his best when he depict "slice of life" and "romanticism".

What Makoto Shinkai offers isn't being "brilliant mind" (like Christopher Nolan) nor "comedy" nor "action" but rather just "emotion and growth". He focuses on daily relationship between characters, common slice of life, and theme of star-crossed lover/destiny/fate. What makes his film great is he is able to bring the viewer into the emotion of the film.

So, if you expect to see action film, then you'd be immune to all the emotion aspect of the film.
Oct 14, 2017 11:39 PM

Aug 2014
No, just because you like action doesnt mean you dont like emotion
Oct 15, 2017 12:12 AM
Jan 2016
I love/enjoyed some mediocre & a bad anime. So if this is, like you said, a mediocre anime, does not mean people cannot love it.
Oct 15, 2017 12:20 AM

Jan 2016
TheServant said:
I love/enjoyed some mediocre & a bad anime. So if this is, like you said, a mediocre anime, does not mean people cannot love it.

You can enjoy it fine but rated as the 2nd best anime in existence? REALLY? The ratings on MAL really make anime watchers seem mentally ill sometimes.
Oct 15, 2017 12:57 AM
Jan 2016
kingraptor724 said:
You can enjoy it fine but rated as the 2nd best anime in existence? REALLY? The ratings on MAL really make anime watchers seem mentally ill sometimes.

From what I understand, not all MAL users rate anime based on their unbiased opinion. Some do rate anime solely based on their enjoyment. So just see the rating as an enjoyment level.
Oct 15, 2017 1:40 AM

Mar 2013
You are the mentally ill if you care what some cartoon is ranked on some website.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Oct 15, 2017 2:48 AM

Jun 2015
kingraptor724 said:
Kittens-kun said:

It is sort of accurate, L, light, holo etc Especially holo deserve to be high in the rankings

Yeah... Kirito, Naruto and Yuno are in the top despite the mixed opinions their shows give. Character popularity isn't a good gauge of a show's worth.
Oct 17, 2017 6:42 AM

Aug 2008

I guess this is the proper place to share this.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Oct 17, 2017 4:51 PM
Aug 2016
You know, I thought this too having never seen the movie, and today I decided you know what I have free time.

At first I was like great it's just going to be some basic body switch movie, but by the end I had cried like 4 times and regretted not watching this earlier. I personally can't even begin to understand how you couldn't love this movie after watching it.
Oct 17, 2017 6:57 PM

Apr 2017
Kitonic said:
You know, I thought this too having never seen the movie, and today I decided you know what I have free time.

At first I was like great it's just going to be some basic body switch movie, but by the end I had cried like 4 times and regretted not watching this earlier. I personally can't even begin to understand how you couldn't love this movie after watching it.

What particularly made you cry? Honestly I watched expecting to be crying on the floor or something, and nothing, that was what disappointed me the most.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2017 7:49 PM

Sep 2017
bandwagon aaaaaaand 10/10 animation probably.
I didn't like it too but mehhhHHHh
hi,i like you.
Oct 19, 2017 7:27 PM

Aug 2013
i also ask the same question about people who watch all the loli shit
Oct 19, 2017 7:33 PM

May 2017
It has romance, time travel, and the switching bodies trope. I though it was just okay as well, but it appeals to a lot of people, has spectacular music and art, and it was well-marketed, so people who aren't that exposed to anime watched it too, then telling their other friends to watch it whether they like anime or not, etc...

It was just really widespread, imo
Oct 20, 2017 12:16 PM
Nov 2015
basically because normies
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1385 by Takai_Shinji »»
Apr 15, 3:40 PM

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

adharshcs - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.