Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 23, 2018 4:47 PM

Feb 2015
ZetaAspect said:
I don't know what there is to say that hasn't already been said, but Your Name. is a good, solid movie that's highly accessible (and therefore has the major strength of mainstream appeal). The quality of the presentation is likely to cause viewers to overlook the relatively shallow nature of the film's actual content and become emotionally invested. With a likable (if not deep) cast, a solid and engaging (if not complex) story, and an emotionally rich atmosphere (if not a thematically rich narrative), it's easy to remain invested (or to become increasingly captivated) throughout the duration of the film; and then the almost-surprise happy ending makes it easy to leave the film with a highly positive impression.

Of course, being engineered to be easy to like doesn't make something a classic on its own, so I would expect its rating to fall gently over time.

YummyYogurt said:
I'm just wondering how did they fall in love with each other? They haven't met each other or got to know each other besides what they see/experience during the time but they would forget it later when they switch back. I don't know if its just me or if i'm just some heartless, soulless person who has no romance in my life and is just a single lady with no boyfriend ;-;, but I feel like them falling in love with each other was somewhat quick and unexpected/surprising/vague/"a word that describes how unusual this is". x'D
I didn't understand how the romance work.
I also feel like it was rushed, but, for your consideration, here's one interesting, nontraditional definition of love that's been solidly upvoted: "Love is giving someone the power to destroy you, and trusting them not to." Mitsuha and Taki are implicitly given the power to destroy each other, and yet they try to use that power to help each other, despite how awkwardly they may go about doing so.
ZetaAspect said:
I don't know what there is to say that hasn't already been said, but Your Name. is a good, solid movie that's highly accessible (and therefore has the major strength of mainstream appeal). The quality of the presentation is likely to cause viewers to overlook the relatively shallow nature of the film's actual content and become emotionally invested. With a likable (if not deep) cast, a solid and engaging (if not complex) story, and an emotionally rich atmosphere (if not a thematically rich narrative), it's easy to remain invested (or to become increasingly captivated) throughout the duration of the film; and then the almost-surprise happy ending makes it easy to leave the film with a highly positive impression.

Of course, being engineered to be easy to like doesn't make something a classic on its own, so I would expect its rating to fall gently over time.

YummyYogurt said:
I'm just wondering how did they fall in love with each other? They haven't met each other or got to know each other besides what they see/experience during the time but they would forget it later when they switch back. I don't know if its just me or if i'm just some heartless, soulless person who has no romance in my life and is just a single lady with no boyfriend ;-;, but I feel like them falling in love with each other was somewhat quick and unexpected/surprising/vague/"a word that describes how unusual this is". x'D
I also feel like it was rushed, but, for your consideration, here's one interesting, nontraditional definition of love that's been solidly upvoted: "Love is giving someone the power to destroy you, and trusting them not to." Mitsuha and Taki are implicitly given the power to destroy each other, and yet they try to use that power to help each other, despite how awkwardly they may go about doing so.

Ok, yea. well that could also relate with a friend love relationship? because some friends also trust people to back them up without them backstabbing them. Well I can't see Mitsuha and Taki as a couple. The most I see them as is best friends helping each other out. Because it was kinda rushed and a bit forced.
Jan 26, 2018 4:58 AM

Jan 2016
Aardwolf94 said:
No idea, this anime sucked. can't believe this was so successful, what a disappointment

This is nice and to the point. This exactly
Jan 26, 2018 5:06 AM

Jan 2018
Because it appeals to the lowest common denominator.
Jan 26, 2018 5:07 AM

May 2015
kingraptor724 said:
Aardwolf94 said:
No idea, this anime sucked. can't believe this was so successful, what a disappointment

You made this thread so people could explain why the movie is so well received, but you never even bothered to respond to any of them. You only quoted those who agreed with you.

Jan 27, 2018 9:25 AM

Jan 2016
Kittens-kun said:
kingraptor724 said:

You made this thread so people could explain why the movie is so well received, but you never even bothered to respond to any of them. You only quoted those who agreed with you.

Literally every argument for the pros of this movie is " Good art and music " Those 2 reasons do not make an anime anywhere near a 9. Realistically this show being focused around art and music should make it a 6-7
Jan 27, 2018 9:52 AM

May 2015
kingraptor724 said:
Kittens-kun said:

Literally every argument for the pros of this movie is " Good art and music " Those 2 reasons do not make an anime anywhere near a 9. Realistically this show being focused around art and music should make it a 6-7

Literally every argument? It doesn't look that way to me. Some people did have good replies. Maybe you just ignored them because you actually don't care about what they have to say?

Jan 27, 2018 12:32 PM

Nov 2016
ZetaAspect said:

YummyYogurt said:

these 2 posts sum up the best pro kimi no na wa points.
im not a fanboy, but i did like it. weird things can bring people together, for example my wife likes martial arts (so do i) and we have weekly spars in front of the kids ;P

to add to them, kimi no na wa was also released when anime was booming overseas (i think, along with netflix anime (meh, anime = jap cartoon, and cartoon = murikan anime)). also movies are generally more popular than series.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Feb 5, 2018 8:26 AM

Mar 2012
kingraptor724 said:
Honestly I was extremely unimpressed for what it was rated, and yet its still at the top of mal. What is so great about this anime, the characters werent even interesting. And the whole switching bodies with someone that wished a different life is not unique at all. The story was very simple like a disney movie with no exciting plot twists or anything... Why do people love this.

Naturally, you're free to make of the film what you will, but if you're interested in understanding why others liked the movie, this article provides a modicum of insight as to what made the film so enjoyable for others.
BOOM HEADSHOT
Feb 5, 2018 8:29 AM

Jan 2018
It was a general movie that appealed to the masses. Even Shinkai said the film felt incomplete. The movie was rated so highly because of how many people were moved by the somewhat relatable situation the two faced together.

Unfortunately, even if this movie appeals to the masses, there are people, like yourself, that do dislike it.

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Feb 6, 2018 10:16 AM

Jan 2018
Dlwuik said:
because normies love pretty colors. why else?

The FMA guy said.... xDDD

“The true measure of a shinobi is not how he lives but how he dies.
It’s not what they do in life but what they did before dying that proves their worth.” - Jiraiya
Feb 6, 2018 10:22 AM

Dec 2015
mihyon said:
It was a general movie that appealed to the masses. Even Shinkai said the film felt incomplete. The movie was rated so highly because of how many people were moved by the somewhat relatable situation the two faced together.

oh yeah, I think we have all been in the situation where you wake up gender swapped and then a meteor destroys your town.

#Relatable
Feb 6, 2018 12:04 PM

Sep 2017
master-kev said:
Dlwuik said:
because normies love pretty colors. why else?

The FMA guy said.... xDDD

i saw this movie before fma anything and disliked it even then.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Feb 6, 2018 3:49 PM

Oct 2013
Same reason why they like Violet Evergarden.

Pretty colors.
Feb 9, 2018 8:49 AM

Dec 2017
Because people like the movie. How dumb do you need to be asking a question like this
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Feb 9, 2018 8:50 AM

Jan 2013
dc22 said:

Pretty colors.

Majority of people are entertained by what is essentially someone shaking a keyring in front of them.
Feb 9, 2018 9:06 AM

May 2012
years after you are dead nobody will remember you. but people will be talking about this movie for hundreds of years. only the maggots will enjoy you
Feb 9, 2018 10:37 AM

Oct 2013
PoeticJustice said:
years after you are dead nobody will remember you. but people will be talking about this movie for hundreds of years. only the maggots will enjoy you

People won't be talking about the actual movie for long (hell, it's dead already).
Just its strange popularity phenomenon.
Feb 9, 2018 6:50 PM
Oct 2017
dc22 said:

Pretty colors.

So...this sort of attitude, frankly, bothers me. And it isnt with just Your Name, but seems to follow anime, television and film on general. Basically the idea that the visual language in film is not important; the only thing that matters is the plotplotplotplotplot.

Look, obviously plot is important,it is the thing that gets the audience to engage with and empathize with the chsracters. but the presentation is just as important. The reason why Your Name was such a massive success is primarily because of how it was directed: the visuals, the music, the editing, all of it combined to have an emotional effect on its audience. And while I agree with some criticisms of YN's narrative shortcomings, ultimately they didn't really matter to me because I was swept away by it. Is it a masterpiece? Honestly, I don't think it matters.

Going back to my original point. I get why people tend to dismiss the visual component of anime/film because they think it makes their opinions seem more "intelligent." Personally, I find judging film from such a cold, analytical place defeats the purpose of watching a movie. Films are meant to be an emotionally experience. I mean how can you embrace film if you're too busy jotting down "plot holes" (ugh I really hate how that word has been transformed into something meaningless)

And yes, I like Violet Evergarden because the "pretty colors" add to the tone of the show.
Kemuri07Feb 9, 2018 7:01 PM
Feb 9, 2018 8:17 PM
Sep 2016
Soo why do we love kimi no nawa? For me its quite easy to answer. Beside the soundtrack and art i love how the atmosfere felt in the movie. I mean the slow pace (but not too slow if we compare to other shinkai movie) make it really relaxing to watch. The interaction between mitsua taki and the others is realistic and you can relate to it. And like gigguk said in hes video about the movie its easy to overlook the plot hole since they dont really have big impact on the movie and the pace make up for it!

Btw i dont understand the elitiste that always come and call out every little plot hole or the lack of a unique plot... you guys life are probably so boring you dont enjoy anything unique or perfectly made... Nothing is perfect and everything been done. Like i can understand why you love death note and stuff like that ( i also love it) but an anime or any kind of show dont need to have an heavy feel to it to be good. And most of those elitiste only look for that.
Feb 10, 2018 4:30 AM

Oct 2013
Kemuri07 said:
dc22 said:

Pretty colors.

So...this sort of attitude, frankly, bothers me. And it isnt with just Your Name, but seems to follow anime, television and film on general. Basically the idea that the visual language in film is not important; the only thing that matters is the plotplotplotplotplot.

Look, obviously plot is important,it is the thing that gets the audience to engage with and empathize with the chsracters. but the presentation is just as important. The reason why Your Name was such a massive success is primarily because of how it was directed: the visuals, the music, the editing, all of it combined to have an emotional effect on its audience. And while I agree with some criticisms of YN's narrative shortcomings, ultimately they didn't really matter to me because I was swept away by it. Is it a masterpiece? Honestly, I don't think it matters.

Going back to my original point. I get why people tend to dismiss the visual component of anime/film because they think it makes their opinions seem more "intelligent." Personally, I find judging film from such a cold, analytical place defeats the purpose of watching a movie. Films are meant to be an emotionally experience. I mean how can you embrace film if you're too busy jotting down "plot holes" (ugh I really hate how that word has been transformed into something meaningless)

And yes, I like Violet Evergarden because the "pretty colors" add to the tone of the show.

I agree visuals are important, but pretty colors are not good visuals. While technically they might be good, there's no artistic flair.
Feb 10, 2018 5:36 AM
Oct 2017
Ummm actually yeah they are. Color and how it's used is very much a strong part of any show's visual language.
Feb 14, 2018 5:35 PM
Dec 2017
kingraptor724 said:
Honestly I was extremely unimpressed for what it was rated, and yet its still at the top of mal. What is so great about this anime, the characters werent even interesting. And the whole switching bodies with someone that wished a different life is not unique at all. The story was very simple like a disney movie with no exciting plot twists or anything... Why do people love this.

I guess you knew she was separated from Taki by three years right from the beginning? What do you mean no interesting plot twists
Feb 14, 2018 5:42 PM

Oct 2015
dc22 said:

Pretty colors.
this is pretty bs. The animation is merely a supplement and not the main reason why people like this show lmao.
Feb 16, 2018 7:09 AM

Jun 2017
I rated it 10 because it was the first anime I have ever watched and it was great experience. I feel like I wouldn't like it that much now but I won't rewatch it just for the purpose of changing my score

Feb 18, 2018 1:57 PM

Dec 2015
I was surprised as well. I thought it was just the same as Five Centimers per Second - which I also thought was overrated. But after watching it...it was actually nice but not that great though. I was surprised with how simple the story was but there's just something enchanting about it that's so hard to explain.
Mar 1, 2018 3:56 PM
Aug 2013
Why you feel disturbed when people love this anime???

~also, this thread should not exist in MAL discussion, just my opinion . . .
~ この 素晴らしい イマダ の 世界 に 神様 の 祝福 を !!! ~
~ Kono Subarashii Imad no Sekai ni Kamisama no Shukufuku wo !!! ~
~ God's Blessing on This Wonderful Imad's World !!! ~
Mar 1, 2018 8:00 PM
Dec 2016
it's really good i give you that(maybe because of the visual), but not THAT great
Mar 9, 2018 11:04 PM
Feb 2016
i dont understanr the reppetetive statement of "it moves us". Sure it was cool for a little bit, but man was it boring overall. My main gripe with it, after having great expectations, was the dipshit ending. The fk is the point of having anything in the movie happen if theyre just gonna walk past each other at the end. I get the whole saving the people thing, but they played so much on them connecting with each other just to have them "feign" interest in the other person at the end and ultimately act like they dont exist.
Mar 11, 2018 1:36 AM
Jul 2013
Yeah i watched it in Japan and i need to say it's well overrated. it all started already with the dumb "rating-before-it-comes-out-even" - an instant minus for me at least.
the style is beautiful, the music is awesome, the story is a good idea! but for my personal taste they could make it better in the end, plus i really think the ending is stupid :( so it was a half/half experience for me, half impressed, half disappointed MOSTLY BECAUSE OF THE PEOPLE WHO RATED IT BEFORE IT EVEN CAME OUT screw you... ^^

But yeah, it's like always a matter of taste, isn't it? I would never say it's a "masterpiece", such as Ghibli movies, but I can imagine for many people it is
Mar 14, 2018 3:05 AM

Aug 2014
dc22 said:

Pretty colors.

Well this is complete bs, I loved this movie but I dislike Violet Evergarden and find it very boring, it is not all about the animation and "pretty colors" in my opinion, the story is the main reason I loved this movie
Mar 20, 2018 7:57 PM

Aug 2016
No idea. I watched it and thought it was decent. It didn't really make me feel anything. Just a visually appealing movie with a simple story. I don't know where all these people are pulling masterpiece scores from.
Aug 10, 2018 6:53 AM

Aug 2016
I remember liking this movie when I first watched it, but it started to get worse and more nonsensical with each revisit. Then I realized I never liked it at all, the beautiful visuals just did a great job at tricking me.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Aug 10, 2018 7:16 AM

May 2018
1. Its art is amazing
2. Its poster is amazing
3. This movie was created for teens
4. A calm natured movie [In short you can say its seinen genre]
5. Story is good
6. Its over-rated so lets go with a flow and make it more over-rated xD

And keeping all these points in mind , Makoto shinkai slashes out everyone and repeats same things in each and every movie...He describes love in various ways and some of his movies are half-baked which is really good...As people want something more creative...
Aug 16, 2018 6:05 AM

Jul 2014
dc22 said:

Pretty colors.

hahaha that was me, colors blinded me to rate this a 7. A 6 is generous but rated because musubi.
Aug 17, 2018 8:23 PM
Oct 2017
personally i wasn't the biggest fan either, but people will like what they like. i totally get why people love this movie. imo the best part about it was the beautiful animation; it was absolutely stunning.
Aug 17, 2018 9:05 PM

Sep 2017
it is not a really good movie,but at least it did well in the box office and critical reception and brought some respect to anime.
Aug 17, 2018 9:25 PM

Aug 2018
My heart aches after watching this movie. People just have different tastes in what they like. As for me, I didn't think A Silent Voice was all that great but a lot of people think otherwise and that's completely fine.
Aug 25, 2018 12:05 AM
Aug 2018
I was so let down by this movie, the only thing it has going for it was the art and even then it was spotty at some points. It's especially bad that compared to the the amazing "A Silent Voice"
Aug 25, 2018 12:38 AM
Aug 2018
I believe the concept and the story of the movie is mediocre, but everything else is outstanding.

• The visuals of the film is 10/10 because it was well made, and I consider on-par with Ghibli made films.
  • The music was very good, since it really conveyed the feelings that was needed to be projected in the film.
  • The characters became something I quickly fell in love with, especially with their top-class voice acting.
  • There is something very appealing about the folk religion in the folm

Aside the very cliché ending, Kimi no Na wa. is a very good film, but as the director of the film, Makoto Shinkai, said that he'd like to have given more time to refine the film.

In contrast, Koe no Katachi (The Shape of Voice/The Silent Voice) gave me a lesser emotional impact than Kimi no Na wa.

In a nutshell, we people have different tastes and rate things differently, yet we have something similar, and it is being otakus.

Cheers!
jagdpanzer38tAug 25, 2018 12:46 AM
Aug 25, 2018 9:21 AM
Aug 2018
the music is like really awesome
the plot is nothing extravagant but the great art and music made the movie just great
If you only face forward, there is something you will miss seeing
Aug 31, 2018 8:03 AM
Dec 2015
It certainly isn't as great as some people think it is. Forget about the overrated aspect, the story was nothing special.
Sep 7, 2018 7:42 PM
Jun 2009
suncitygril said:
mainly music and animation

decent plot although I would have much prefered it if in the end they forgot each other and moved on with their lifes

Personally I like twisted endings, no happy ends, all that stuff. And well thats like 95% of Makoto Shinkai´s movies. So I am glad he don´t do that again. I was afraid, that as he did so in his previous works, he will do that here too. And it was such a relief that this movie has such ending as it does. I dont need another 5 centimetres per second. I need new movie. And so I got it. I am greatfull to Shinkai for it.
Sep 7, 2018 7:55 PM

Jan 2015
kingraptor724 said:

Why do ppl like frozen? Cuz they are a bunch of idiots
Why do people like Disney? Same answer
Why do ppl like this whatever anime movie? It's slightly better art than Disney but I digresss

ur opinion = shit
Sep 7, 2018 8:19 PM

Jul 2017
I honestly have no idea why they like this film, sure it has it's merits and whatnot but in characters and plot execution is where it fails at.
Sep 7, 2018 10:23 PM

Oct 2015
Daisetsu-Kun said:
I honestly have no idea why they like this film, sure it has it's merits and whatnot but in characters and plot execution is where it fails at.
Would like to know how it fails to execute its plot properly? Sure I can agree with the characters but hey, most movies tend to work out the same given its duration be it an anime film or an international one.
Sep 7, 2018 11:34 PM

Jul 2017
EGOIST said:
Daisetsu-Kun said:
Would like to know how it fails to execute its plot properly? Sure I can agree with the characters but hey, most movies tend to work out the same given its duration be it an anime film or an international one.

It fails to bring the same flow as it did after like the first half of the movie and the later half just doesn't feel that engaging when I take it in comparison of course that is my opinion and honestly my score for it should be lower but the visuals and audio saved it from being so.
Sep 7, 2018 11:45 PM

Oct 2015
Daisetsu-Kun said:
EGOIST said:

It fails to bring the same flow as it did after like the first half of the movie and the later half just doesn't feel that engaging when I take it in comparison of course that is my opinion and honestly my score for it should be lower but the visuals and audio saved it from being so.
Yeah, I do agree with the latter half being sub par compared to the beautiful exposition.
Sep 12, 2018 12:44 AM

Jan 2010
"What Makoto Shinkai offers isn't being "brilliant mind" (like Christopher Nolan) nor "comedy" nor "action" but rather just "emotion and growth""

well, you know, you can do a movie about "emotion and growth" and still be "brillant mind", "comedy", and "action", all at the same time.

this is what are shows like "steins;gate", "fullmetal alchemist brotherhood", "clannad" or movies like "akira", "ghost in the shell", "Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo", "nausicaa", etc...

when you have no story, no action/comedy/anything, no characters, and the only things you have are emotions and good graphics, then your movie seriously lacks of what you should call "the best animated movie of all time".

that doesn't mean the movie is bad, that only means there are better movies, and that's a thing you should accept.
Final Fantasy VII is a shitty game.
Sep 12, 2018 12:54 AM

Jan 2018
HolyDeathMacabre said:
Kimi no na wa is a movie that I personally believe can only be experienced in the cinema theater as its most powerful aspects were music and art.
A 7 in a pirated version
10 in the big screen

Re-posting this in 5,3,2, and boom. Nah, at least a blu-ray will do. Hope nobody mentions blu-ray yet in this thread so.
Sep 12, 2018 9:27 PM
Apr 2008
zebdal said:
"What Makoto Shinkai offers isn't being "brilliant mind" (like Christopher Nolan) nor "comedy" nor "action" but rather just "emotion and growth""

well, you know, you can do a movie about "emotion and growth" and still be "brillant mind", "comedy", and "action", all at the same time.

this is what are shows like "steins;gate", "fullmetal alchemist brotherhood", "clannad" or movies like "akira", "ghost in the shell", "Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo", "nausicaa", etc...

when you have no story, no action/comedy/anything, no characters, and the only things you have are emotions and good graphics, then your movie seriously lacks of what you should call "the best animated movie of all time".

that doesn't mean the movie is bad, that only means there are better movies, and that's a thing you should accept.

This was a grounded show that realistically portrayed what it would be like if one were to suddenly be in their shoes, minus the expected sexual curiosities. There's no grand heroism, just absolute relatability: the ultimate "what if" scenario.

Of the examples you listed, I found Steins;Gate, FMA: B, Akira, and GitS movie to be grossly overrated. They didn't connect as well, and were clearly much too fantastical to relate with. It doesn't make them bad, just different demographic appeal.

This is a completely pseudoscientific statement, but I reckon we who like Kimi no Na Wa are those who intensely crave for adventure in our lives, and we greatly desire to be a part of something much bigger than what we live currently. I never felt that sort of connection with the prior mentioned series: I was observing these stories rather than living them like in Kimi no Na Wa; excepting Clannad and Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1385 by Takai_Shinji »»
Apr 15, 3:40 PM

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

adharshcs - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.