Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Oct 10, 2017 9:47 PM
May 2017
I had heard Black Clover was being written off as just a Naruto rip off... And I guess their not totally wrong. This show so far feels like a merging of Fairy Tale and Naruto which doesn't bode well for its future but I'll be positive first:

I liked that the animators moved the characters even when they didn't have too. I like how the setting is memorable with its giant rotting demon. Asta's voice is really irritating but I like how he was literally born spunky. Although Asta and Yuno's dream to become Hokage- I mean Pirate-... Sorry Wizard King has been done to death its nice that Asta has a pretty good reason for having such a goal: He wants to prove that someone like him can do it. That's good enough motivation for me though I hope it develops more. The thing with the 5th leaf containing a demon is another thing I liked. While it is an annoying shonen trope at this point along with the OP anti-magic thing, a boy with no power suddenly gaining the greatest power from the forces of evil is a story I know can be engaging. From what limited information we have so far it appears Yuno is a more complicated Emo looking Gary Stu then he appears to be.

One of the first problems I noticed is that for a show with a lot of heavy exposition I left the show having learned nothing from it. It completely ignored the questions that mattered like how magic works here or more importantly what its limits are along with these important questions:

Do people have a certain elemental affinity to start with? Do the Grimoires come pre loaded with unique spells or are they just stupidly designed batteries? Where do Grimoires come from? What's the story behind Grimoires?
Aren't Hope and Faith kind of the same thing? Who is the current Wizard King?
Oct 11, 2017 12:19 AM
Mar 2012
Art & bg rather good for pierrot. Magic, grimoire & rivalry all good, except mc is insufferable. Naruto wasn't that annoying, they copied it wrong.
Gandalf: a believing heart is your magic. Oh no just work hard & scream enough so deus ex machina brings you a demon grimoire.
Oct 11, 2017 12:46 AM
Nov 2016
Terrible voice acting. Cliched, predictable. This is by FAR the worst shonen I have seen, and the worst of the current season, and that says something.

Oct 11, 2017 8:37 PM
Jul 2018
Omgosh Asta's voice is so annoying. He's just constantly making random motorcycle noises with his mouth whenever it opens. I also called it that the main character would suddenly get the strongest grimoire ever after pretending that he was weak and useless for the first 20 minutes.
Oct 13, 2017 2:13 PM

Oct 2017
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, nice to meet you :)

I decided this episode would be the first one to comment because I got really good vibes from it while watching it.

I know that Asta's yelling was pretty disturbing to many of you but I was ok about it, a bit weird first but I got used to it.

Black Clover is exactly what I like from animes : artistically beautiful, funny characters, magic...It's not especially innovative but it has a credible world/background and I really want to know how a guy without magic will make it into this world of wizards.

I also saw the second episode that I also loved :)

Anyway, glad to be in the community now :)
Oct 13, 2017 6:55 PM

Jun 2013
I'm gonna be the Hokag... oh shit I mean the Wizard King but seriously though Asta's voice is fucking annoying
Oct 15, 2017 10:13 AM

Mar 2009
I don't understand why people bash it so much, yeah it's generic and probably not best of all in the world but if people thinks this is shit, they definately haven't seen much, or they just love hating something
For me it was OK, voice acting was good, and yeah Asta's voice is loud, but he is not shouting like that for whole episode, in the end I actually liked his voice when he kinda turned volume down a bit
Animation and designs are cool, the scenery, characters etc. I like it. CGI looks OK when it's static but yeah while moving or in some angles it's very bad XD
Also I don't understand why people mention Naruto so much (maybe it's only one anime they've seen or what), Black Clover puts out a lot of typical shounen themes which were in Naruto but are in many other shounens, so if they claim it's typical for Naruto they seriously need to watch or read more anime/manga
Oct 15, 2017 6:43 PM

May 2017
The manga is great, yuno and asta seem a bit like every anime/video game duo, small loud and stoic big, hinata kageyama, naruto sasuke, sora riku, shion nezumi.

Asta yells a little too much than necessary, I hope this series gets better as it goes along but so far, if it stays at this weird energy to about episode 5, it might not seem worth the time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 16, 2017 9:14 AM
Jan 2017
It was fine but Asta's voice is really annoying Dx
Oct 17, 2017 8:16 AM
Jun 2017
dub will be better.
Oct 17, 2017 4:54 PM

Jul 2007
I don't know, it seems like the worst elements of Naruto and One Piece have come here to breed.
Oct 18, 2017 2:41 AM
Jul 2018
topazio said:
Oh god, I just watched to see what the screaming was all about, but that shit was hilarious. What a stupid setting and plot.

It's bland, cliched and has bad exposition. I'm not surprised.
Oct 18, 2017 6:02 PM

Aug 2016
Truly stunned at the amount of people who gave this a good rating. I struggled to get through one episode; it took me an hour, starting and stopping it. I skimmed through the second episode and cringed the whole way.

The main voice actor is awful beyond words. It's full of shonen tropes without any kind of fresh spin on them. The "magic" is no different than ki/chakra/nen/reiatsu (and of course the annoying main character gets a giant sword and has a demon inside him...why does that sound familiar?).

Every attempt at humor was a failure. Not a single character is likable. The animation is barely passable (imagine what it will look like in the middle of its run...steaming garbage). Why does this exist???

Oct 19, 2017 11:58 PM
Jan 2017
BoardGameBrawl said:
Truly stunned at the amount of people who gave this a good rating. I struggled to get through one episode; it took me an hour, starting and stopping it. I skimmed through the second episode and cringed the whole way.

The main voice actor is awful beyond words. It's full of shonen tropes without any kind of fresh spin on them. The "magic" is no different than ki/chakra/nen/reiatsu (and of course the annoying main character gets a giant sword and has a demon inside him...why does that sound familiar?).

Every attempt at humor was a failure. Not a single character is likable. The animation is barely passable (imagine what it will look like in the middle of its run...steaming garbage). Why does this exist???

There have been several great animations in our time that have earned a 10/10 rating from many users of this site. Whether it was FMA's characters, Kimi no Na wa's animation, Your Lie In April's music - SOMETHING helped you place meaning to the arbitrary numerical number "10" and set the bar for every other show you have watched and will watch in the future.

But we must never forget the other end of the scale. So many of us are quick to fill in our definitions of 8, 9 or even 10; we forget to take a step back and ask ourselves: "what exactly does a 1 mean?". Black Clover is a very important anime because we now have precedent - a template for what a 1/10 in every category (except animation) should look like. This will allow many fans of anime to hone their senses of perception and judgement to make more incisive reviews and council prudent ratings in the future.

Black Clover has cemented its place in anime history. To question its existence is nothing more than a churlish retort.
TuestresfatOct 20, 2017 12:03 AM
Oct 20, 2017 6:26 PM

Jun 2017
I was so sure I was watching naruto at first lol. There are no rules saying you have to be original to be good, so I enjoyed it!
Oct 20, 2017 9:16 PM

Jun 2011
Am I the only one that genuinely liked the first episode, and isn't too annoyed with Asta's voice? I mean, I think ever since watching Myself; Yourself I got used to shit voice acting, but it honestly isn't so bad.

Asta reminds me of Natsu for some reason, he's loud like him :P
Plus I'm a fan of the underdog.

Will definitely see this anime through the end.
Oct 21, 2017 8:23 PM

May 2013
My thoughts about it are just..WEW 😂😂
Idk if I should laugh or what but it reminds me of Naruto. LOL.
Well the story isn't really similar with Naruto but the main characters Asta and Yuno remind me of Naruto and Sasuke.
And especially since Asta is a loud troublemaker who doesn't give up he really reminds me of Naruto.
And how sometimes(okay maybe most the time) he can be reaaaallly foolish 😂
And then we have Yuno who is the cool and composed type of character who doesnt giv a shyt about stuff who is the center of attraction which also reminds me of Sasuke. 😂😂
Hnn, I still dunno if I like this series or not but I find myself laughing.Idk why.
The story is hmmm, idk what to think about it too. But I guess I'll try continuing it. I thought it was pretty obvious that Asta was a powerful late bloomer as well so yeaaa.

I also din notice his screaming voice tho! Not until Noble-senpai said it and when I read the comments😂

"Insert cheesy ass quote here"

💙
Oct 24, 2017 11:05 AM

Apr 2016
Honestly coming into this anime blind not having seen the OVA, or read the manga, I was interested, this series was hyped to me as one of the new big manga in shonen jump, so here are the pros and cons to the first episode

Pros:
+Not a bad premise
+Animation wise looked decent
+Character Design while nothing special was completely passable, and decent

Cons
---Asta's Voice Actor was unbearable
Oct 26, 2017 2:19 PM

Oct 2015
if fairy tail and Naruto had a baby they would name it black clover. That Asta is one loud MC but he seems promising even if he is a ripoff of Uzumaki.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 30, 2017 2:11 AM
Dec 2012
Honestly the story and premise has got immense potential but it got executed in such a bullshit way, really frustrating to see such things. Also, who the fuck thought that making Asta scream every few seconds was a good idea... gives me a bloody headache -_-
Oct 30, 2017 10:49 AM

Nov 2009
Why does the MC scream all the time, geez... and such shrilly unnatural-sounding screams, too... it starts getting on the nerves real fast, not endearing the protagonist to me in the slightest. Otherwise it's a decent shounen - nothing special, but just what you'd expect from a Shounen Jump title. It helps that the animation is good. I only wish Asta cut down on those long ear-bleeding screams.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Oct 30, 2017 10:57 AM
Apr 2015
Dub voiceover for Asta is def a lot better. There are still a few vo artists that I would have preferred but I shouldn't really complain as the episode was def more enjoyable in dub.
Oct 30, 2017 7:03 PM
Jul 2014
alpha_shadow said:
I honestly got a headache trying to watch this. Dropped within the first 5 minutes. Good luck tolerating Asta's voice actor, the series is already bad enough as it is. Animation was pretty shitty and you know Pierrot, I won't be surprised if they put in a lot of effort in the first episode, even if it doesn't show much and the rest is going to be downhill and much worse.
animation was fine stop nitpicking every thing.
Oct 31, 2017 4:24 AM

Jun 2014
Unleashed_SM said:
alpha_shadow said:
I honestly got a headache trying to watch this. Dropped within the first 5 minutes. Good luck tolerating Asta's voice actor, the series is already bad enough as it is. Animation was pretty shitty and you know Pierrot, I won't be surprised if they put in a lot of effort in the first episode, even if it doesn't show much and the rest is going to be downhill and much worse.
animation was fine stop nitpicking every thing.

I'm not nitpicking, this series is fundamentally flawed, from the core and the anime studio adapting the manga is also incompetent. I don't consider the animation to be good, if you don't like that, not my problem. The animation is shitty and I also dislike studio Pierrot's visual style, I hate their sloppy use of digital filters and the gradient effects they use on the characters look bad. Also, why quote me after such a long time, episode 1 aired ages ago already. I'll ignore you from now on.
:3
Nov 3, 2017 12:25 AM

Jul 2016
Hmm so i liked the ending because it proves that the mc is not hopless :) looking forward to watching episode 2 now to see what this sword of his can really do
Nov 3, 2017 7:01 PM

Feb 2017
This is my first time dropping an anime this fast, I wasn't able to watch more than 5 minutes thanks the atrocious' performance of Asta's voice actor. Who the h*ll told the director that making a voice actor doing obnoxious screams like a goat would help the characterization of a character like Asta? It was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen in an anime. And that is just one big problem, the pacing is of course the another one.
Nov 5, 2017 9:55 AM
Oct 2017
I watched the first episode in its entirety and it about as much as I could stand...

I have absolutely no interest in watching the rest of it.
Nov 5, 2017 10:03 AM

Sep 2007
Tuestresfat said:
Black Clover is a very important anime because we now have precedent - a template for what a 1/10 in every category (except animation) should look like.

It's more an example of what a 5/10 anime looks like: mediocre in every way, with its standout points balanced against its bad points to be perfectly in the middle of the spectrum. Everything in it feels like something we've seen a million times already.
Nov 8, 2017 12:14 AM

Jan 2014
basically,

Naruto + Rock Lee = Asta
(treated like a trash + no chakra/magic)

Sasuke + Neji = Yuno
(handsome skilled + talented)

let's see how it play. I kinda interest with the story to be honest. please don't dissapoint me.
Nov 8, 2017 12:09 PM

Apr 2016
My ears are bleeding!
Nov 11, 2017 1:42 AM

Dec 2016
I dropped this one after 15 minutes of watching when Asta screams i wanna jump of a bridge so i can’t hear his scream anymore. The story looks interesting though but i really can’t handle that irritating scream.
Nov 18, 2017 1:11 PM
May 2016
Identifiquei reverência a inúmeros animes.
Promissor, se o Asta parar de gritar! rss
Nov 20, 2017 8:03 AM

Dec 2015
Ow my ears hurt...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 3, 2017 8:40 AM

Sep 2012
I'm pretty impressed that Toonami already picked this up just a couple months behind the Japanese broadcast. I really had no interest in watching this, but I guess I'm in for it now :[ I want to refrain from judging fantasy Naruto by its cover, but I don't have high hopes.
Dec 3, 2017 11:29 PM

Dec 2012
Two babies got dropped off. lol
Damn. Dat kick. Got him leaking.
They're names are Asta and Yuno.
Who is that generic looking character?
He wants to become the Wizard King when he gets older? Sounds familiar.
Oh snap! He's proposing to a girl with the promise he'll become the ME. Boss!
WTF! She's everyone's sister? She a hoe.
He can't use magic? Sounds familiar.
Lol at Asta calling the church shabby and ugly.
Of course Asta didn't get his grimoire.
Yuno is attacked. Petty focks.
He's attacked by another dude.
Unlimited Chain Works.
A grimoire appeared before Asta.
A sword?
5 leaf clover. A demon?

Preferred the OVA version compared to this. Lily looks less attractive compared to the OVA version.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 4, 2017 12:11 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The big Demon in the middle of the meadow is cool!!!
Dec 4, 2017 12:20 PM

Jan 2013
saw the dub on tv and while its still pretty boring but my god my ears (or whats left of them) didnt die a horrible death here! dub wins this round!
dannymilkDec 4, 2017 12:25 PM
Dec 9, 2017 4:56 PM

Feb 2010
Wtf is wrong with this MC screaming constantly.. his VA makes it even worse

Dec 12, 2017 6:53 PM

Feb 2013
Interesting enough, I'm in.
Jan 1, 2018 12:03 PM

Mar 2013
The main character (Naruto or is it Boruto? I guess it's Naruto) is laughed at by everyone. His rival, the black haired Sasuke can do anything apparently and is super cool.
There will be a chuunin exam (or how was it called?) in six months - I wonder about it. Anyway:
Naruto wants to become Hokage ...err pardon wizard king and marry Sakura... but she can't and probably wouldn't anway.
But then Naruto faces off against Orochimaru.
Orochimaru is stronger but then the power of the tailed beast awakens inside of him. Will he be able to defeat Orochimaru and save Sasuke?
This and everything in the next episode of - wait Black Clover? Not Naruto? Okay apparently at least the name of this thing is original lol
Crystalis777Jan 1, 2018 12:18 PM
Something something something
Jan 11, 2018 10:07 PM

Jun 2014
This episode was OK, but I would definitely have enjoyed it more if it weren't for Asta's annoying constant cries. Damn! My ears are hurt. The studio couldn't have come up with a more off-putting feature -_-'
Jan 24, 2018 11:13 AM
Jul 2011
Just watched the first episode...
Will he ever stop screaming?
Jan 24, 2018 12:07 PM

May 2012
Sankha said:
Just watched the first episode...
Will he ever stop screaming?

No, but you will get used to it. It does not bother me now like the early episodes.
Aug 29, 2018 4:05 PM

Jul 2013
Seems interesting. I'm always a fan if it comes to magic, so I'm definitely looking forward to see more.

Damn Asta is almost non stop screaming. At the very beginning I wasn't sure if this is normal for him, but I think I got used to it. That ending was pretty bad ass. I wonder what happened between Asta and Yuno but it seems this will be clarified next episode?

Let's see what he can do with his sword :o

Oct 8, 2018 8:12 AM
Nov 2017
Apesar do ar clichp, ele consegue passar os desejos dos personagens e seu esforço por ele de uma forma bem simples ,e isso passa uma sensação de vc querer ver onde que tudo irá se iniciar
Oct 17, 2018 10:17 AM
Jan 2018
It was an OKAY episode. I get where it comes the references for the cliche stuff. What kind of bothered me was that Asta´s realization that he has magic was meh. I thought he was going to be more excited or show some kind of emotion. Hopefully it gets better as the season goes.
Nov 30, 2018 6:26 PM

Dec 2012
Now I know WHYYYYYYYYY people keep talking ABOOOOOUUUT Asta's VOOOOIIICE! I think I FINALLYYYYYY UNDERSTAAAAAAAAND!!!

I'm glad I went into this knowing about his voice. It feels more like a meme than an actual nuisance. I was practically crying every time he SAID A LIIIIIIINE! Other than that, Black Clover's got my interest. I saw the third OP and decided to have a go at it on a whim.
Feb 17, 2019 11:21 PM

Mar 2016
Okay, it's been more than a year, I guess it's time to see what's up about Black Clover...

Holy shit, what others are saying is true. Asta is fucking LOUD AND ABONOXIOUS! His constant yelling and acts are incredibly hard to get used to, even for a shonen MC.

However, the story seems promising, how Asta will be the Wizard King using his demonic 5 leaf clover grimoire with no magic whatsoever. And how his rivalry with Yuno might be like, it's actually pretty interesting.
ShadowkillZFeb 19, 2019 5:44 AM
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2020

75 by DrCarlosRamos »»
Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 144 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2020

35 by Vindicater »»
Yesterday, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 143 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2020

49 by Vindicater »»
Yesterday, 3:49 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 142 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2020

71 by Vindicater »»
Apr 24, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 141 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2020

75 by Vindicater »»
Apr 23, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.