Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 7, 2017 2:23 PM

Apr 2014
CatSoul said:

Pingu in the City is being fully made in Japan and broadcast on NHK. A significant amount of Neo Yokio's production was in America, and it was made for an English audience.

Pingu did not "penetrate" the DB rules; it follows them perfectly.
Hey kid, don't make me laugh, don't even try to lecture me here.
I know it's made in Japan. But was it even an anime?
It's a fucking claymation, a god damn clay animation! MAL was penetrated!
Haters always gonna hate.
Oct 7, 2017 2:58 PM

Jul 2012
Rayzer said:
CatSoul said:

Pingu in the City is being fully made in Japan and broadcast on NHK. A significant amount of Neo Yokio's production was in America, and it was made for an English audience.

Pingu did not "penetrate" the DB rules; it follows them perfectly.
Hey kid, don't make me laugh, don't even try to lecture me here.
I know it's made in Japan. But was it even an anime?
It's a fucking claymation, a god damn clay animation! MAL was penetrated!

1- It's fully CGI made by Polygon Pictures simulating the old series stop-motion (a studio especialized in Full CGI). Unless you wanna ban Sidonia, Ajin, the FF movies and other CGI titles from MAL, I recommend you to just deal with it. CGI is animation.

2- Stop-motion animation is freaking animation by the very overall concept of it anyway, and some even gained Oscar/academy awards in that category, your argument is more than invalid.
Oct 7, 2017 3:23 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
So I misspoke in my earlier post. Let's go back to basics.
Kineta said:
For everyone who doesn't know, MAL has two major defining points of "what" is anime:
1. Who created it.
2. Who they created it for.

The exact rule in the Anime DB Guidelines states that the Japanese staff needs to be involved in significant staff roles of the production. In other words, the animation cannot only be outsourced to Japan; Japanese staff must have some creative control over the final product.

Multiple websites are talking about Neo Yokio as being a joint Japanese-American production, but let's look at the staff lists closer.

So in terms of JP staff, this leaves us with:

Storyboards: Kazuhiro Furuhashi, Junji Nishimura (ep 4)
Preproduction producers: Yuichiro Akita
Preproduction: STUDIO DEEN Co., Ltd
Character designer: Hirofumi Morimoto
Prop designers: Hirofumi Morimoto, Moriyoshi Ohara, Okadochigai

Neo Yokio originally began as a series Production I.G. produced for Fox (American TV), and the creators and writers were American (Ezra Koenig & Nick Weidenfeld). This leaves only designing as the leg of the preproduction process that DEEN may have had involvement with (along with Hirofumi Morimoto, Moriyoshi Ohara, Okadochigai).

However, if you look at the credits list, you'll see that Neo Yokio was actually designed and animated by a South Korean company:

Design and animation by: MOI Animation
Production managers: Eunsun Jun & Aekyeong Lee
Background designer: Chanhee Kim
Character designer: Hyeojun Heo
Prop designer: Hyonho Jeong
Production director: Myeongsoo Song
Animation directors: Youngil Park & Seunghoon Yu
Animators: Kyeongho Choi, Sangshik Choi, Kyeongpyo Hong, Hangbeom Jo, Yunki Lee
Model Checker: Yangsook Kim
Clean up: Sunwha Beck, Haemi Lee, Eunsook Park, Jeonghoon Seo
Final checker: Younsun Ahn
In-between checker: Jeongsook Kim
In-between: Seungok Choi, Eunsun Kim, Hyeonju Kim, Minja Kim, Choi Lee, Eunah Shin
Ink and paint: Kyeongae Jeong, Jean Lee, Youngkyeong Noh, Juyeon Wu
Composite director Bongryong Noh

So the amount of design work JP staff did probably amounted to sketching initial character model sheets for the Korean company based on what Americans wanted. Animators in the Korean company then did the animation based on their own designers' revised work.

This leaves us with one major staff position that would allow JP staff to have creative input in Neo Yokio:

These are real anime industry professionals in a solid creative position for the work (and is probably why they're listed in the OP credits).
However, look at the credits from the ED:

Storyboard revisions: Ben Jones, Kiyoshi Nakazawa, John Pham [Nakazawa is an American]

Furuhashi needed three people to revise his work? His storyboards were that bad? The final episode lists five people for storyboard revisions.
So did Furuhashi and Nishimura really have any creative input to Neo Yokio's final product? Probably not.

Now, let's compare these staff positions with other joint-productions in the database:
Afro Samurai -- Look at all the JP staff positions there: director, script, screenplay, character design, sound director, animation director.
Oban Star-Racers -- storyboards, episode directors, animation director, sound, editing, design.

So, 1. Who created it.
Americans created Neo Yokio, Koreans animated it, and two Japanese studios tied their names to it for the purposes of business. JP anime professionals had no control in the creative process. Neo Yokio is an American production with animation outsourced to Korea.

2. Who did they create it for?
They created it for an American audience, to air on Fox TV, but Netflix eventually picked up the rights for it and spun it off to an international market.

Sorry guys, but we won't be adding it to the database since it doesn't pass criteria (1).
KinetaOct 7, 2017 3:45 PM
Oct 7, 2017 3:51 PM

Jul 2012
Kineta said:

I would argue that Madhouse literally owns Moi Animation and that they are much more like extra handwork than anything (see Berserk Movies and Aldnoah Zero productions).

Also, many of the staff of animators in all of anime are mostly composed by koreans and chinese working on them (pick any random anime and skip to the ED bit and read the credits, that huge chunk of names which aren't in moonrunes are all korean or chinese).

Other than that, I don't really have much to add, this still is a coproduction mainly produced in Japan.

The previously mentioned Telescreen is a major example of an entry that is much more problematic than Neo Yokio in all fronts, yet stays in the database without any trouble.

If you don't add Neo Yokio, you might consider taking all of those down as well, @Kineta.

Mod Edit: Spoilered quote of long post for redundancy and readability reasons.
DanpmssOct 11, 2017 5:05 AM
Oct 7, 2017 4:22 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Danpmss said:
I would argue that Madhouse literally owns by Moi Animation and that they are much more like extra handwork than anything (see Berserk Movies and Aldnoah Zero productions).
They are their own company, and have a history of production contracts with more American companies than Japanese.

Also, many of the staff of animators in all of anime are mostly composed by koreans and chinese working on them (pick any random anime and skip to the ED bit and read the credits, that huge chunk of names which aren't in moonrunes are all korean or chinese).
Animation in Japan is outsourced to Korea a lot, this is nothing new. Difference here is the creative control of the anime remains in Japan. Professional JP staff had no creative control in Neo Yokio.

The previously mentioned Telescreen is a major example of an entry that is much more problematic than Neo Yokio in all fronts, yet stays in the database without any trouble.
The Anime DB staff is happy to review this case, if it hasn't already been elsewhere.
Oct 7, 2017 4:55 PM

Apr 2014
Danpmss said:

1- It's fully CGI made by Polygon Pictures simulating the old series stop-motion (a studio especialized in Full CGI). Unless you wanna ban Sidonia, Ajin, the FF movies and other CGI titles from MAL, I recommend you to just deal with it. CGI is animation.

2- Stop-motion animation is freaking animation by the very overall concept of it anyway, and some even gained Oscar/academy awards in that category, your argument is more than invalid.
So it was a CGI? Didn't saw it as one, I thought it's still a clay animation considering how horrible it was.
Still my point is valid, Polygon Pictures penetrated MAL by taking projects from foreign companies.
Your examples that are done by that studio came from a Japanese manga, so it's irrelevant.
Inb4 MAL only permit hand drawn designs/characters. Now Polygon Pictures do something shit they are adding it.
Oct 7, 2017 5:32 PM

Jan 2011
@Danpmss,
Even if you eliminate Japan for the equation entirely for Neo Yokio, it still doesn't meet the 1st criteria which says "in Korea/China for the Korean/Chinese market;" because Neo Yokio was never released in Korea to my knowledge.

I took a look at Telescreen titles.

Geragera Boes Monogatari - normal. Lots of JP staff in influential roles like Director, I don't see any foreigners listed on staff. Telescreen is listed as a producer alongside TV Tokyo. Makes sense for Telescreen to be here since the intellectual property is a dutch comic and Telescreen was originally a dutch company. The show itself aired in Japan.

Dondon Domeru to Ron - same as above.

Chiisana Ahiru no Ooki na Ai no Monogatari: Ahiru no Kwak - a bit more foreigners working on this. The dutch worked on the music for the show alongside Japan for the OP/ED (dutch only for the OST). Same with the character art/design for the show (2 dutch, 2 japs). Director, planning, screenplay, photography, etc. were all Japs. Dutch intellectual property ergo Telescreen's involvement. The show aired in Japan. So this is a real joint production with almost equal amounts of work. Perfectly acceptable for MAL's DB.

Tanoshii Muumin Ikka - is fine. I see one foreigner listed out of all the staff: Dennis Livson as an executive producer. Makes sense since he's Telescreen's founder and Telescreen is listed as a production alongside TV Tokyo. Which is normal since the source is a foreign intellectual property which Dennis Livson partly owns. He's the dude who made the official Muumin theme park. The show itself aired in Japan.

Ningyohime Marina no Bouken - I see one foreigner listed out of all the animation staff: Jean Chalopin for the screenplay. Foreigners did the music. Aired in Japan. Perfectly acceptable joint production for MAL.

Tanoshii Muumin Ikka Bouken Nikki - same as Tanoshii Muumin Ikka's response.

Muumindani no Suisei - is fine. Lots of JP staff in influential roles like Director, I don't see any foreigners listed on staff. Several JP studios worked on it. Aired in JP theaters.

Bamboo Bears - not much staff is listed online in the first place but a quick scroll through an English dubbed ep on youtube credits shows a lot of foreign names. But I fear it's like what Saban did often with their Eng dubs--literally cut out the foreign staff from the credits. Like the Directors listed are Bernard Deyries and Christian Choquet but there was no mention of Kazuki Kasuga who was the Episode Director. This entry can be a contested entry with more research. I'd love to see the Japanese video's end credits and compare it to the Eng dub ones but I can't find a video for it.

Asides from Bamboo Bears, none of these entries are problematic nor remotely close to the issues Neo Yokio was having.
Oct 7, 2017 6:56 PM

Jul 2012
lanblade said:
@Danpmss,
Even if you eliminate Japan for the equation entirely for Neo Yokio, it still doesn't meet the 1st criteria which says "in Korea/China for the Korean/Chinese market;" because Neo Yokio was never released in Korea to my knowledge.

I took a look at Telescreen titles.

Geragera Boes Monogatari - normal. Lots of JP staff in influential roles like Director, I don't see any foreigners listed on staff. Telescreen is listed as a producer alongside TV Tokyo. Makes sense for Telescreen to be here since the intellectual property is a dutch comic and Telescreen was originally a dutch company. The show itself aired in Japan.

Dondon Domeru to Ron - same as above.

Chiisana Ahiru no Ooki na Ai no Monogatari: Ahiru no Kwak - a bit more foreigners working on this. The dutch worked on the music for the show alongside Japan for the OP/ED (dutch only for the OST). Same with the character art/design for the show (2 dutch, 2 japs). Director, planning, screenplay, photography, etc. were all Japs. Dutch intellectual property ergo Telescreen's involvement. The show aired in Japan. So this is a real joint production with almost equal amounts of work. Perfectly acceptable for MAL's DB.

Tanoshii Muumin Ikka - is fine. I see one foreigner listed out of all the staff: Dennis Livson as an executive producer. Makes sense since he's Telescreen's founder and Telescreen is listed as a production alongside TV Tokyo. Which is normal since the source is a foreign intellectual property which Dennis Livson partly owns. He's the dude who made the official Muumin theme park. The show itself aired in Japan.

Ningyohime Marina no Bouken - I see one foreigner listed out of all the animation staff: Jean Chalopin for the screenplay. Foreigners did the music. Aired in Japan. Perfectly acceptable joint production for MAL.

Tanoshii Muumin Ikka Bouken Nikki - same as Tanoshii Muumin Ikka's response.

Muumindani no Suisei - is fine. Lots of JP staff in influential roles like Director, I don't see any foreigners listed on staff. Several JP studios worked on it. Aired in JP theaters.

Bamboo Bears - not much staff is listed online in the first place but a quick scroll through an English dubbed ep on youtube credits shows a lot of foreign names. But I fear it's like what Saban did often with their Eng dubs--literally cut out the foreign staff from the credits. Like the Directors listed are Bernard Deyries and Christian Choquet but there was no mention of Kazuki Kasuga who was the Episode Director. This entry can be a contested entry with more research. I'd love to see the Japanese video's end credits and compare it to the Eng dub ones but I can't find a video for it.

Asides from Bamboo Bears, none of these entries are problematic nor remotely close to the issues Neo Yokio was having.

Almost sure that all of the Telescreen shows aired in Europe before airing in Japan (years before, like in the case of Bamboo Bears apparently) if I so recall correctly. Airing in Japan alone means essentially nothing, we have western cartoons airing in Japan much like anime.

The shows were also heavily marketed and produced towards the western audience, and you will mostly find some names here and there of the Japanese staff only because they are either here on MAL or documented in ANN (japanese wikipedia too). But so was "Sekai Meisaku Gekijou", which is why I just find the whole point of "being directed to an especific audience" to be... unnecessary at best, as I explained above).

Any anime listed before 1994-1995 (when the company was sold and actually became japanese property, and not just had Japanese people working on it) should be in this case be deleted from the database (aka ALL of the entries, including Bamboo Bears, which is actually their last product before that, gaining releases in 1995 in France, and only apparently airing in Japan in 1997 (otherwise I wouldn't know were did that 1997 came from), by the time the company was already bought by japanese people).

Up to that point, it was a Finnish production with a non-exclusively yet considerabl high number of japanese main staff and producers involved, with the help of TV Tokyo.

Not much different at all from Neo Yokio, as I was saying (the difference is that there's more japanese people involved in the product), but the biggest difference is that, while Neo Yokio was a legit japanese co-production regardless of just how much stuff they did in the creative side of the work, Telescreen animations up to were basically a Finnish product with japanese staff and the help of some subsidiaries (Wako Production for example) involved with TV Tokyo: A co-production as well, but primarily Finnish, unlike Neo Yokio, which is by all means, primarily Japanese (or Korean, if you consider Moi Animation not to be a part of Mad House) as a whole.

By all means, both are co-productions with little other than the writers being non-japanese produced (or again, non-korean, for the case of Moi).

TL;DR: It technically makes Neo Yokio more of a japanese co-production than Telescreen's stuff up to 1994-1995, surprisingly (almost absurdly, to be completely honest, as big part of Telescreen staff was also Japanese working in these projects).
If it doesn't enter in here, nor should Telescreen though, as it isn't a Japanese production nor primarily made for japanese people.

---------

Also, if your problem is if it aired or not in South Korea, I'm rather sure, for the cases of ONAs like this one, Netflix should count as a valid place to be aired:
https://www.netflix.com/kr-en/Title/80152350
In each case, it indeed was.
DanpmssOct 7, 2017 7:52 PM
Oct 7, 2017 9:37 PM

Apr 2013
lanblade said:
@Danpmss,

it was released in korea

a mostly korean-animated series coproduced by two japanese studios and simulcast in japan with a japanese dub still should meet the db guidelines? it is officially a coproduction. hell production IG was the one that originally announced the series, back at anime expo 2015.

japanese storyboarding was done, no matter how minor you say, they were involved in the creative pipeline, they officially took credit for the series, it wasn't just outsourced animation. primary demographic shouldn't matter, tons of anime are intended for international audiences, look at flcl & its upcoming sequels, or afro samurai.

it has a full japanese dub, that wasn't just something thrown on by netflix after netflix picked it up. it was released in both korea and japan.

Kineta said:
Furuhashi needed three people to revise his work? His storyboards were that bad? The final episode lists five people for storyboard revisions.
So did Furuhashi and Nishimura really have any creative input to Neo Yokio's final product? Probably not.

it seems like a lot of stretches are being made due to people disliking the series. outright discounting people in the credits as lies is kinda silly
weeaboo is not a slur you fucking nerds
Oct 7, 2017 9:40 PM

Jan 2011
@Danpmss

> All of the Telescreen shows aired in Europe before airing in Japan (years before, like in the case of Bamboo Bears apparently) if I so recall correctly. Airing in Japan alone means essentially nothing, we have western cartoons airing in Japan much like anime.

Airing in Europe first doesn't matter. No part of the database guidelines requires that it airs in Japan first. It just needs to have aired in Japan, which they did, which is good. That was the reason why Mega Man got removed recently, turns out that show didn't air in Japan even though a lot of staff were Japanese and in high ranking positions. So that's why I had written about the Japan airing for each show, to confirm that they legitimately did air in Japan, and that they weren't like Mega Man.

>The shows were also heavily marketed and produced towards the western audience, and you will mostly find some names here and there of the Japanese staff only because they are either here on MAL or documented in ANN (japanese wikipedia too).

???Joint productions which air in the one of the country's producers is marketed towards that country too? Wow who would have ever guessed. /s
Even so, if more non-Japanese people worked on it than is documented on 3 websites, it doesn't change the fact that the Japanese people that did work on it, were vast in numbers and in many job roles, and always included high-ranking roles like Director and Key Animator and Layout and Script. If foreigners also worked on these roles equally then it's still a valid joint production for MAL.

>The actual vast majority of the people working with most of its titles were from outside Japan, other than he listed staff (some of the staff listed aren't even japanese anyway, like the scriptwriter for Boes, Tom Wyner.

I see Tom Wyner credited as an English dub script writer on other sites. MAL does not care about such a position in reference to the original anime's script. Did he actually work on Boes' original script or was he one of the 30+ English dub script writers credited on wikipedia for Saban's release of the show 2 years after Japan? Especially since the dutch worked on the show too. Like how there are 8 American script writers for Fullmetal Alchemist but they are the Eng dub script writers. Not the show's originals script writers. Even the Anime Encyclopedia makes no mention of Tom as a script writer for the original show. He looks, along with most of the English staff credits in the Eng dub release, are credits attributed to the ADR production.

@Danpass @skeletonparty, I logged onto my VPN and went on the Korean netflix site and watched the trailer and no Korean subtitles were present. Did the actual show itself have Korean in it? I know some foreign films on Japanese netflix have no Japanese language settings even though they're advertised as such, some folks on Reddit griped about it when wanting to share a film with a significant other who can't speak English well.

I tried googling in Korean about the show and subtitles and nothing was coming up as a search result. Not even a screen cap from a Korean blogger or something.

Mod Edit: Merged double post
NoLiferSoulOct 13, 2017 2:52 PM
Oct 7, 2017 9:59 PM

Jul 2012
lanblade said:
@Danpmss

> All of the Telescreen shows aired in Europe before airing in Japan (years before, like in the case of Bamboo Bears apparently) if I so recall correctly. Airing in Japan alone means essentially nothing, we have western cartoons airing in Japan much like anime.

Airing in Europe first doesn't matter. No part of the database guidelines requires that it airs in Japan first. It just needs to have aired in Japan, which they did, which is good. That was the reason why Mega Man got removed recently, turns out that show didn't air in Japan even though a lot of staff were Japanese and in high ranking positions. So that's why I had written about the Japan airing for each show, to confirm that they legitimately did air in Japan, and that they weren't like Mega Man.

>The shows were also heavily marketed and produced towards the western audience, and you will mostly find some names here and there of the Japanese staff only because they are either here on MAL or documented in ANN (japanese wikipedia too).

???Joint productions which air in the one of the country's producers is marketed towards that country too? Wow who would have ever guessed. /s
Even so, if more non-Japanese people worked on it than is documented on 3 websites, it doesn't change the fact that the Japanese people that did work on it, were vast in numbers and in many job roles, and always included high-ranking roles like Director and Key Animator and Layout and Script. If foreigners also worked on these roles equally then it's still a valid joint production for MAL.

>The actual vast majority of the people working with most of its titles were from outside Japan, other than he listed staff (some of the staff listed aren't even japanese anyway, like the scriptwriter for Boes, Tom Wyner.

I see Tom Wyner credited as an English dub script writer on other sites. MAL does not care about such a position in reference to the original anime's script. Did he actually work on Boes' original script or was he one of the 30+ English dub script writers credited on wikipedia for Saban's release of the show 2 years after Japan? Especially since the dutch worked on the show too. Like how there are 8 American script writers for Fullmetal Alchemist but they are the Eng dub script writers. Not the show's originals script writers. Even the Anime Encyclopedia makes no mention of Tom as a script writer for the original show. He looks, along with most of the English staff credits in the Eng dub release, are credits attributed to the ADR production.

I edited my comment quite a bit for some things I progressively found out more stuff in my research, I also took out the comment about Tom, as it wouldn't be relevant or actually valid as a point at all considering the information I then gathered (I'm not sure for how much time you were holding this comment, probably more than 2 hours considering my last edit, so I do really apologize for that).

About the vast majority of the staff thing that was my mistake, I was talking about Bamboo Bears (which I have all of the non-japanese dubbed episodes of with me), which actually had a very international team behind it (way more than the usual Japanese staff).

As I expressed down in my comments, Telescreen actual staff had many japanese people working in the other shows. Other than that, I really have not much to add. My point was made.
Oct 8, 2017 6:35 AM

Jan 2013
@SigmaticDoc
ONCE AGAIN:
if there are anime that are in the DB and do not follow the guidelines, they should be removed.
They are not an excuse to add more entries that break the rules.
Oct 8, 2017 6:51 AM

Nov 2016
If Pingu is on M.A.L So should Neo Yokio. Both are not originally Japanese works that but the studio making it is japanese and they are being simulcasted in both places. The reason Pingu Got to MA.L first is maybe the memes or it being pushed to it by its producer (The NHK) Or a Combination of both
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2017 6:54 AM

Jan 2013
-KaneKo- said:
If Pingu is on M.A.L So should Neo Yokio. Both are not originally Japanese works that but the studio making it is japanese and they are being simulcasted in both places. The reason Pingu Got to MA.L first is maybe the memes or it being pushed to it by its producer (The NHK) Or a Combination of both

Then should this be or not be in MAL?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2150/Tanoshii_Muumin_Ikka

A Finnish book series turned into anime.
Oct 8, 2017 7:00 AM

Oct 2016
If Shelter can be added to MAL then Neo Yokio should be added.
Oct 8, 2017 5:45 PM

Mar 2017
Funny how minus the storyboard revisions and animation being outsourced to A-1 Shelter basically gets away with the same thing
if MOI is in question then how are Haoliners shows on here? Because they have a Japanese Branch (Emon)? But MOI is owned by Studio Madhouse.

"Intended Audience" is a frail argument, mostly created from conjecture. Many fully Japanese produced shows are created toward western audiences as pointed out.
Blade Runner: Black Out 2022 for example is produced to promote an american made movie.

So you have Designs from IG as you said
Pre-Production Animation by Studio Deen
and Animation done by a Madhouse Owned South Korean Studio
Storyboards by Japanese Staff that were overlooked and revised by the American staff that hired them

From what it sounds like is that a lot of the early work on the show was done by Japanese staff, then overseen by the American company who's co-producing it then sent off to MOI and back to America.
We weren't involved so saying that them doing work in the early stages didn't influence at all is conjecture.

The storyboard revisionist are Ben Jones (The Director for the series), and two people he has worked with a lot in his career so saying that "Furuhashi needed three people to revise his work? His storyboards were that bad?" is misguided, having multiple revisionists in not uncommon in animation and the main Director choosing two people he has worked with is common practice and makes sense when you consider that this is a "Co-Production" not them just outsourcing production to the East

all in all while the writing and directing are American saying it wasn't co-produced between American and Japanese (and that one Korean studio everyone hates that's owned by a Japanese studio) studios is clearly false, to say " Professional JP staff had no creative control in Neo Yokio" is false as well given the staff you already listed
Oct 8, 2017 6:49 PM

Oct 2016
Hellkrai said:
Funny how minus the storyboard revisions and animation being outsourced to A-1 Shelter basically gets away with the same thing
if MOI is in question then how are Haoliners shows on here? Because they have a Japanese Branch (Emon)? But MOI is owned by Studio Madhouse.

"Intended Audience" is a frail argument, mostly created from conjecture. Many fully Japanese produced shows are created toward western audiences as pointed out.
Blade Runner: Black Out 2022 for example is produced to promote an american made movie.

So you have Designs from IG as you said
Pre-Production Animation by Studio Deen
and Animation done by a Madhouse Owned South Korean Studio
Storyboards by Japanese Staff that were overlooked and revised by the American staff that hired them

From what it sounds like is that a lot of the early work on the show was done by Japanese staff, then overseen by the American company who's co-producing it then sent off to MOI and back to America.
We weren't involved so saying that them doing work in the early stages didn't influence at all is conjecture.

The storyboard revisionist are Ben Jones (The Director for the series), and two people he has worked with a lot in his career so saying that "Furuhashi needed three people to revise his work? His storyboards were that bad?" is misguided, having multiple revisionists in not uncommon in animation and the main Director choosing two people he has worked with is common practice and makes sense when you consider that this is a "Co-Production" not them just outsourcing production to the East

all in all while the writing and directing are American saying it wasn't co-produced between American and Japanese (and that one Korean studio everyone hates that's owned by a Japanese studio) studios is clearly false, to say " Professional JP staff had no creative control in Neo Yokio" is false as well given the staff you already listed

Why isn't there an upvote button?
Oct 8, 2017 7:26 PM

Apr 2013
two japanese studios publicly saying they co-produced it and them being included in the credits should be the only thing needed for it to be included in the db. they openly took credit for the series and productions ig was the one that first announced it. there’s absolutely no reason to assume they had no creative control when they’re listed as co-producers and japanese directors also storyboarded the series

Mod Edit: Removed quote from deleted post
NoLiferSoulOct 13, 2017 3:03 PM
Oct 8, 2017 10:40 PM

Jan 2013
skeletonParty said:
two japanese studios publicly saying they co-produced it and them being included in the credits should be the only thing needed for it to be included in the db. they openly took credit for the series and productions ig was the one that first announced it. there’s absolutely no reason to assume they had no creative control when they’re listed as co-producers and japanese directors also storyboarded the series

By that definition, Inspector Gadget should be here.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085033/companycredits?ref_=ttfc_ql_5
Sunrise, Toei and Asahi Productions, along with many smaller studios that worked on various Ghibli films are there.
But I don't think you would even consider that this could be anime.
Oct 9, 2017 12:34 AM

Oct 2016
I think Gigguk's video on 'Is Anime Becoming Mainstream?' sums up this issue fairly well. Anime is becoming more of a global thing than ever before and it *might* be time to re-evaluate what 'anime' by definition actually is.
Oct 9, 2017 2:55 AM

Apr 2013
CondemneDio said:
skeletonParty said:

By that definition, Inspector Gadget should be here.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085033/companycredits?ref_=ttfc_ql_5
Sunrise, Toei and Asahi Productions, along with many smaller studios that worked on various Ghibli films are there.
But I don't think you would even consider that this could be anime.

that wasn’t simulcast with a japanese dub & those associations are far more tenuous than being billed as a coproduction but yea you could make that argument

the majority of anime studios revenue comes from overseas as of the last several years. its asinine to shut out series that japanese studios worked on in co-production over arbitrary criticisms of the series and primary demographic

i dont think this debate would be happening if the series didn’t make so many people so mad
Oct 10, 2017 5:13 AM
Mar 2016
This and The Red Turtle should be listed here over that Pingu thing.
Oct 10, 2017 6:21 AM

Mar 2016
skeletonParty said:
why was the last thread closed without addressing the fact that the show was produced by studio seen & production IG? it also simulcast in japanese, and it was also storyboarded by kazuhiro furuhashi and junji nishimura

personal taste doesn't change the fact that huge parts of the production were japanese. there are several co-produced series already on MAL

If this is all it takes for something as trash as Neo Yokio to be considered anime, there will be a full movement initiated on my part to have Avatar the Last Airbender included in this database as anime as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2017 3:07 PM

Mar 2017
_Poochyena_ said:
skeletonParty said:
why was the last thread closed without addressing the fact that the show was produced by studio seen & production IG? it also simulcast in japanese, and it was also storyboarded by kazuhiro furuhashi and junji nishimura

personal taste doesn't change the fact that huge parts of the production were japanese. there are several co-produced series already on MAL

If this is all it takes for something as trash as Neo Yokio to be considered anime, there will be a full movement initiated on my part to have Avatar the Last Airbender included in this database as anime as well.

Sure but Neo Yokio is a Japanese-American Co-Production
Oct 10, 2017 9:32 PM

Apr 2013
_Poochyena_ said:

i dont think you read this thread at all. avatar wasn't officially co-produced by two japanese companies and didn't have wellknown japanese directors storyboarding with their names officially attached
Oct 13, 2017 3:15 PM

Apr 2014
Thread cleaned

As Shocked has already said, please keep the discussion to Neo Yokio.
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong
Oct 25, 2017 6:33 AM

Mar 2017
Still nothing yet?
as I mentioned earlier I don't think anything conclusive can be said about how much the japanese artist's involvement have or have not influenced the work.
Though it is very clear that this is a co-production and that should hold enough grounds for it to be added.
Nov 7, 2017 8:26 PM
May 2016
Hellkrai said:
Still nothing yet?
as I mentioned earlier I don't think anything conclusive can be said about how much the japanese artist's involvement have or have not influenced the work.
Though it is very clear that this is a co-production and that should hold enough grounds for it to be added.

crazy... all points for not adding it have been totally refuted, seems database admins will bend the rules to include/omit whatever they want regardless of the facts

still waiting...
Nov 8, 2017 2:58 AM

Apr 2013
Cladocera said:
Now, no matter what the definition of anime is, MAL guideline is there. You're using MAL, you must follow its rules. If you can't then just use another site, there're plenty of them out there.
Though, the rules are written by humans, can not be without errors. And it can be changed time to time, so if you find anything inconsonant, please make a thread requesting for rules changing and they will look at it, instead of yelling here like crazy.

it meets the current MAL guidelines tho

kineta's reasoning is saying that the officially-released credits for the series are lying and exaggerating for promotional reasons. which is silly
Nov 8, 2017 4:56 AM

Mar 2016
This is what happens when people outside of Japan think they can define anime for Japanese people.

Anime is all animation.

The database doesn't need to be so picky about what they put in the database anymore. It's ridiculous. They're trying to be so specific about what can be anime and what can't be, and when they have a bold face anime suggested to the database, they outright reject it cause they don't like it??? Even though it fits all their made up criteria???

This is a simple matter. If it looks like anime; it's anime. Just put it in the database and be done with it. And when I say anime, I refer exclusively to Japan's style of animation since MAL seems abhorrent to the idea that Spongebob Squarepants is also in fact an anime (but they have no problem addressing Pingu as an anime just because it was "made in Japan"). If Spongebob suddenly had production credited to Japan, would it be registered in the MAL database too? Just a thought.

Just add Neo Yokio to the database and stand by your word, MAL. Don't be hypocrites.
Nov 8, 2017 6:10 AM

Mar 2016

Thanks for conveniently breaking up my post and leaving parts out. I said:

_Poochyena_ said:

This is a simple matter. If it looks like anime; it's anime. Just put it in the database and be done with it. And when I say anime, I refer exclusively to Japan's style of animation since MAL seems abhorrent to the idea that Spongebob Squarepants is also in fact an anime (but they have no problem addressing Pingu as an anime just because it was "made in Japan"). If Spongebob suddenly had production credited to Japan, would it be registered in the MAL database too? Just a thought.

And of course I didn't read the whole thread. That wasn't important to me. I'm just here to voice my opinion.
Nov 8, 2017 6:11 AM

Jul 2015
still nop animo dis neo yokekio
Nov 8, 2017 7:50 AM

Jul 2015
Ask some Japanese people if Neo Yokio is an anime. If they say it is, add it. If they say it isn't, don't add it. Success!
"I died long ago. This is just a bad dream"
Nov 11, 2017 10:32 PM

Mar 2015
_Poochyena_ said:
This is what happens when people outside of Japan think they can define anime for Japanese people.

Anime is all animation.

The database doesn't need to be so picky about what they put in the database anymore. It's ridiculous. They're trying to be so specific about what can be anime and what can't be, and when they have a bold face anime suggested to the database, they outright reject it cause they don't like it??? Even though it fits all their made up criteria???

Just add Neo Yokio to the database and stand by your word, MAL. Don't be hypocrites.

aren't you that being picky and hypocirte? you said all animation, and sudenly prefer "japanese look like"? WTF?

of course i would glad if shaun the sheep and corious gorge in here, since they are also loved by japan... they are currently on top on anime tv viewership ranking... higher than one piece... and yes, spongbob will be!

TonhaoNoXablau said:
Ask some Japanese people if Neo Yokio is an anime. If they say it is, add it. If they say it isn't, don't add it. Success!

japan call every animation as anime, even full blown western one like frozen...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 12, 2017 7:02 AM

Jul 2015
Kuma said:

TonhaoNoXablau said:

japan call every animation as anime, even full blown western one like frozen...

K, fair enough.

Anyway, just add it, come on!
"I died long ago. This is just a bad dream"
Nov 12, 2017 7:16 AM

Jul 2012
Sigh, give up people.

Kineta's words are probably his/her last in this topic, though there are some points in this very thread yet to be revisited about its overall production and all (and also the fact I don't buy the bullshit that "it must be directed towards a japanese audience", we have many anime, including pretty much every single one from Watanabe, that were especifically produced with the western viewers in mind).

In any case, as much I legit think (and also gave arguments why) Neo Yokio has enough attributes to be in the database much like similar titles which are also here, I doubt this will go much further after Kineta's input above.

Unless someone want to add any other argument to the table after all what we said above, there's no reason to continue this, being this choice a mistake or not.

Don't bother with shallow arguments either, you will just get cleaned sooner or later because of your sole ignorance within the topic in mind (aka people talking about Pingu in the City, which is literally 100% japanese production besides its origins).
Dec 16, 2017 2:00 PM

Feb 2015
Kineta said:
Kineta said:
For everyone who doesn't know, MAL has two major defining points of "what" is anime:
1. Who created it.
2. Who they created it for.

The exact rule in the Anime DB Guidelines states that the Japanese staff needs to be involved in significant staff roles of the production. In other words, the animation cannot only be outsourced to Japan; Japanese staff must have some creative control over the final product.

Multiple websites are talking about Neo Yokio as being a joint Japanese-American production, but let's look at the staff lists closer.

Neo Yokio originally began as a series Production I.G. produced for Fox (American TV), and the creators and writers were American (Ezra Koenig & Nick Weidenfeld). This leaves only designing as the leg of the preproduction process that DEEN may have had involvement with (along with Hirofumi Morimoto, Moriyoshi Ohara, Okadochigai).

However, if you look at the credits list, you'll see that Neo Yokio was actually designed and animated by a South Korean company:

In-between: Seungok Choi, Eunsun Kim, Hyeonju Kim, Minja Kim, Choi Lee, Eunah Shin

So the amount of design work JP staff did probably amounted to sketching initial character model sheets for the Korean company based on what Americans wanted. Animators in the Korean company then did the animation based on their own designers' revised work.

This leaves us with one major staff position that would allow JP staff to have creative input in Neo Yokio:

These are real anime industry professionals in a solid creative position for the work (and is probably why they're listed in the OP credits).

Storyboard revisions: Ben Jones, Kiyoshi Nakazawa, John Pham [Nakazawa is an American]

Now, let's compare these staff positions with other joint-productions in the database:
Afro Samurai -- Look at all the JP staff positions there: director, script, screenplay, character design, sound director, animation director.
Oban Star-Racers -- storyboards, episode directors, animation director, sound, editing, design.

So, 1. Who created it.
Americans created Neo Yokio, Koreans animated it, and two Japanese studios tied their names to it for the purposes of business. JP anime professionals had no control in the creative process. Neo Yokio is an American production with animation outsourced to Korea.

They created it for an American audience, to air on Fox TV, but Netflix eventually picked up the rights for it and spun it off to an international market.

Sorry guys, but we won't be adding it to the database since it doesn't pass criteria (1).

Of course this is all under the assumption that they didn't have much creative input, but what if they did and the revisions were on a smaller scale?
The main director was Furuhashi, with Junji Nishimura handling Episode 4.
Of course they also storyboarded it, given the fact that they did it does mean they still had creative input, and as I said, the revisions could've been small scale. And even if they weren't, they still had to stick to the overall storyboard Furuhashi and Nishimura did.

and MOI animation shouldn't even be taken into account, since they're just an outsourced studio, at least according to your own guidelines, it shouldn't be.

Most of your reasoning is just going purely on assumptions. And finally, the market which it was aimed at.
If you stick to the point you made, please quickly remove Space Dandy from MAL. Everything Watanabe made, he himself said that he made with a western audience in mind. Not to mention that Space Dandy aired in the US first. But judging by the fact that Cowboy Bebop was the first anime to be added in the database, I assume you might be biased? But what good is bias in a site like this.
You also have to remove Afro Samurai's manga publication. Because it published with western audiences in mind and in the US before it did in Japan.
If you keep it, then add Neo Yokio in order to not make yourselves look like hypocrites.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Dec 16, 2017 2:31 PM

Feb 2016
SigmaticDoc said:
Kineta said:

So, 1. Who created it.

Of course this is all under the assumption that they didn't have much creative input, but what if they did and the revisions were on a smaller scale?
Of course they also storyboarded it, given the fact that they did it does mean they still had creative input, and as I said, the revisions could've been small scale. And even if they weren't, they still had to stick to the overall storyboard Furuhashi and Nishimura did.

and MOI animation shouldn't even be taken into account, since they're just an outsourced studio, at least according to your own guidelines, it shouldn't be.

Most of your reasoning is just going purely on assumptions. And finally, the market which it was aimed at.
If you stick to the point you made, please quickly remove Space Dandy from MAL. Everything Watanabe made, he himself said that he made with a western audience in mind. Not to mention that Space Dandy aired in the US first. But judging by the fact that Cowboy Bebop was the first anime to be added in the database, I assume you might be biased? But what good is bias in a site like this.
You also have to remove Afro Samurai's manga publication. Because it published with western audiences in mind and in the US before it did in Japan.
If you keep it, then add Neo Yokio in order to not make yourselves look like hypocrites.
Does it really matter who any of the staff is beside the pre-production producer, bet you didn't know this, but he does over 90% of the work ya know.
Dec 16, 2017 2:35 PM

Feb 2015
avory said:
SigmaticDoc said:

Does it really matter who any of the staff is beside the pre-production producer, bet you didn't know this, but he does over 90% of the work ya know.

In terms of producing, yea. He's the main producer, the rest take on the same roles he did but all are separated evenly among more people and actually do less work than the pre-production producer does.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Jan 10, 2018 7:30 AM

Jan 2013
Kineta said:
with animation outsourced to Korea.
Woah stop the presses! Looks like over half of currently airing anime made today isn't actually Japanese!
Jan 10, 2018 7:54 AM

Apr 2014
Syrup- said:
Kineta said:
with animation outsourced to Korea.
Woah stop the presses! Looks like over half of currently airing anime made today isn't actually Japanese!
Touché, they better remove those garbage too. MAL was just being picky as always.
Well, lets hope the anime industry won't go full blown Neo Yokio like production.
Or else, they will lost a lot of "anime" titles on the database.
Jan 10, 2018 4:17 PM

Apr 2013
Rayzer said:
Syrup- said:
Touché, they better remove those garbage too. MAL was just being picky as always.
Well, lets hope the anime industry won't go full blown Neo Yokio like production.

do you think japanese anime studios are creating animation thinking "uh oh we gotta mark off enough checkboxes for the japanophiles or they wont have it on their website"
Jan 11, 2018 5:56 AM

Apr 2014
skeletonParty said:
Rayzer said:

do you think japanese anime studios are creating animation thinking "uh oh we gotta mark off enough checkboxes for the japanophiles or they wont have it on their website"
Go tell that to Netflix, they already infiltrated Hollywood Movie and TV scene.
They already done manga adapted to live action, now their next target was to infiltrate anime industry.
Inb4, "This is a web series, this can't be added on the database.' (MyDramaList stupidity)
RayzerJan 11, 2018 5:59 AM
Jan 19, 2018 1:14 PM

Jul 2016
The mods have a secret rule that they can add or remove any show based on their own discretion. That’s why they’re scared to talk in this thread, they don’t have any legit reason not to add it
Jan 19, 2018 1:22 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Smpavement said:
The mods have a secret rule that they can add or remove any show based on their own discretion. That’s why they’re scared to talk in this thread, they don’t have any legit reason not to add it

That may be it... OR you could have actually checked the thread and see that the admin has analysed in a few posts as to why it doesn't get accepted and she or any other moderator do not need to give the same answer every time someone decides to bring the thread back from the dead. But hey, I bet being scared is the true reason :P
Jan 19, 2018 4:01 PM

Jul 2016
Maffy said:
Smpavement said:

That may be it... OR you could have actually checked the thread and see that the admin has analysed in a few posts as to why it doesn't get accepted and she or any other moderator do not need to give the same answer every time someone decides to bring the thread back from the dead. But hey, I bet being scared is the true reason :P

They posted an original response full of flawed logic and haven’t responded to the many valid rebuttles. MAL is a database, and if several Anime staff and IG are officially credited in Neo Yokio, it’s by definition a co-production. It’s not for a database to make guesses and assumptions that they didn’t have enough of a creative role, for all intensive purposes, if the 4th episode is officially credited to an anime writer in the storyboard, it’s his episode from the databases perspective.
Jan 19, 2018 9:40 PM

Apr 2013
Maffy said:
Smpavement said:

ah yes saying the official credits are lying and exaggerating is very analytical
Jan 27, 2018 1:28 PM

Mar 2017
It's 2018 and still MAL refuses to recognize Neo Yokio as the anime it rightfully is avoiding any and all questions and concerns for why it's not in the database.

Oct 29, 2018 6:26 PM
Apr 2018
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-09-07/netflix-reveals-neo-yokio-animated-series-collaboration-with-production-i.g-studio-deen/.121032
This series is a collaboration between Netflix and two Japanese studios along with a Korean studio.
This is a legitimate anime and isn't in the database.
I request that you add it to the database.
Oct 30, 2018 10:08 AM

Jan 2010
Merged Waro9's thread "Neo Yokio"
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8686 by JohnnyNumbuh28 »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

681 by SurgingSoulZX »»
Apr 24, 7:33 AM

» My Daemon ( 1 2 )

marcolacson - Nov 26, 2023

50 by veduHMY »»
Apr 23, 3:36 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.