Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 26, 2023 3:36 PM
Jan 2021
Can you add My Daemon anime? Even though it’s produced by a Thai based company the language is in Japanese which makes it eligible to be on MAL. Thank you. It released on Netflix.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 26, 2023 4:38 PM

Oct 2018
You could always submit it yourself. Whether or not it'll be accepted or not, is up to the DB mods (as far as I can tell, it seems to be a joint project between Thailand and Japan, so it should qualify, but I wasn't a DB mod, so don't quote me on that).
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Nov 27, 2023 6:44 AM
Oct 2019
i also would like to know
Nov 27, 2023 1:37 PM

Mar 2013
It has already been rejected for arbitrary reasons
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2023 1:42 PM
May 2020
Reply to BignGay
It has already been rejected for arbitrary reasons
@BignGay the mods are doing that again? omg why are they like this
Nov 27, 2023 2:29 PM
Jan 2022
Need it to have a posting so I can give it a 6 out of ten.

That shit actually gave me motion sickness
Nov 29, 2023 1:29 AM
Feb 2020
I loved it the art grew on me and it was an amazing story. This should be added! If Boku No Pico is on this site anything else should!
Nov 29, 2023 3:48 PM
Apr 2016
This anime was on the list, but got removed in the past week... WTF?
If the 1 minute youtube short Chicken Papa has a listing, then 'Boku no Daemon` should be here too! Original lnk for Boku no Daemon: https://myanimelist.net/anime/57333/
Nov 29, 2023 5:35 PM
Jan 2009
It's a subtitled animation by a Japanese author with Japanese as the original audio by professional Japanese voice actors. What more do they need?
amf85Nov 29, 2023 5:53 PM
Nov 30, 2023 1:41 AM
May 2017
it's more anime than fucking lookism
Nov 30, 2023 6:51 PM
Jan 2013
Can we have an explanation why My Daemons don't have anime list? Should anime must be made by location which is Japan?
I'm not sure why, but I really hate MAL because of this. My Daemons storytelling really awesome, it has good storyline like motivation, needs, objective, goal, and feeling that are beautifully crafted.
I'm not sure who is the admin here, or some corporate that prevent My Daemons to be in MAL.

Nov 30, 2023 7:06 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to restush
Can we have an explanation why My Daemons don't have anime list? Should anime must be made by location which is Japan?
I'm not sure why, but I really hate MAL because of this. My Daemons storytelling really awesome, it has good storyline like motivation, needs, objective, goal, and feeling that are beautifully crafted.
I'm not sure who is the admin here, or some corporate that prevent My Daemons to be in MAL.
@restush like how barangay 143 isn't anime but they partnered with japan and japan is the one that drew the animation.
Dec 1, 2023 12:02 PM
Dec 2022
How does My Daemon get rejected but Chinese and Korean anime have listings?
Dec 6, 2023 7:16 AM
Mar 2017
does anybody know now why they removed My Daemon from MAL?
Dec 6, 2023 8:14 AM

Feb 2014
Boku no Daemon (57090): Thailand animation.

Not that hard to look it up.

Machy

<--- Animelist
Mangalist --->
Dec 8, 2023 12:46 AM
Feb 2019
The narcissistic viewpoints of what doesn't qualify anymore is ridiculous.

I'm leaving this app and finding a new tracker.

This was supposed to be about finding, tracking, and rating anime.

Not sure what it's become now when you can't even list half the stuff people are watching for a select views "righteous" views.
Dec 11, 2023 10:12 AM
Apr 2015
For the love of God, I ended up in the discussion on this forum because I finished watching My Daemon on Netflix and it was an incredible work, I didn't give even 1 dollar thinking that it was going to try to be a bad copy of Pokémon but more realistic, and Although it does not even come close to being a masterpiece, it tells a great story of personal development in a child's journey of wanting to change the world, and that in the end that becomes a pact with the final villain, pardon my redundancy, I mean. Please, it only has collaboration from Thailand but it has everything Japanese..... I like to use this site a lot because I use it for exactly the title of the website, which is my anime list, to be able to give them my rating and sometimes if I want a small review or comment, and my daemon is 200% worth it being on this site, since there are animes and mangas that are worthless and are, why not this one? For the love of God, administrators, don't be so greedy and let my daemon be on this website, it deserves it 800%
Dec 13, 2023 12:56 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to hyper_sphere
This anime was on the list, but got removed in the past week... WTF?
If the 1 minute youtube short Chicken Papa has a listing, then 'Boku no Daemon` should be here too! Original lnk for Boku no Daemon: https://myanimelist.net/anime/57333/
@hyper_sphere Chicken Papa is Japanese Animation, Boku no Daemon is a Thai animation. Japanese animation is allowed, Thai isn't. It's really that simple.
You all need to watch Nami.

Dec 13, 2023 12:57 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to Pegasus363
For the love of God, I ended up in the discussion on this forum because I finished watching My Daemon on Netflix and it was an incredible work, I didn't give even 1 dollar thinking that it was going to try to be a bad copy of Pokémon but more realistic, and Although it does not even come close to being a masterpiece, it tells a great story of personal development in a child's journey of wanting to change the world, and that in the end that becomes a pact with the final villain, pardon my redundancy, I mean. Please, it only has collaboration from Thailand but it has everything Japanese..... I like to use this site a lot because I use it for exactly the title of the website, which is my anime list, to be able to give them my rating and sometimes if I want a small review or comment, and my daemon is 200% worth it being on this site, since there are animes and mangas that are worthless and are, why not this one? For the love of God, administrators, don't be so greedy and let my daemon be on this website, it deserves it 800%
@Pegasus363 What is and isn't added isn't decided based on quality of the work. That would completely defeat the purpose of an anime database.

Dec 13, 2023 12:58 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to JShepp
The narcissistic viewpoints of what doesn't qualify anymore is ridiculous.

I'm leaving this app and finding a new tracker.

This was supposed to be about finding, tracking, and rating anime.

Not sure what it's become now when you can't even list half the stuff people are watching for a select views "righteous" views.
@JShepp Shocking news, anime database has only anime added, for tracking non-anime you'll have to a non-anime database, like IMDb.

Dec 13, 2023 10:24 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Reply to abystoma2
@JShepp Shocking news, anime database has only anime added, for tracking non-anime you'll have to a non-anime database, like IMDb.
@abystoma2
AniDB has the series because they allow Thai animation (though interestingly they have it tagged as a Japanese production): https://anidb.net/anime/18285
Also:
ANN: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=26385
aniSearch: https://www.anisearch.com/anime/18789,my-daemon
Kitsu: https://kitsu.io/anime/my-daemon
MAL may possibly expand to other countries in the future too. I'm aware Kitsu lists things based subjective metrics like style which I don't care for, but it is not inappropriate to ask work which many other competitors allow.
KwanthemasterDec 13, 2023 10:37 AM
Dec 13, 2023 1:55 PM
Oct 2018
Reply to abystoma2
@Pegasus363 What is and isn't added isn't decided based on quality of the work. That would completely defeat the purpose of an anime database.
@abystoma2
>You all need to watch Nami.

"This page doesn't exist."

nice
Dec 13, 2023 3:20 PM

Oct 2008
I mean, some of the chinese stuff in here has as much to do with anime, as any western cartoon.
So they might as well allow Thai animation, that has at least some Japanese involvment.
Minor stuff, like THE writer, or voice actors.
Dec 16, 2023 2:18 AM
Jan 2021

The completely arbitrary rule seems to be: Chinese; yes, Korean;Yes, Malaysian;yes, Thai; No. I think they made up to rule some time after putting stuff on their list and tried to be "consistent" as they already had stiff from some other countries in. If they want to restrict themselves to Japanese productions they should do so, and either eliminate or grandfather stuff from other countries.

I find Mal's definition of "anime" rather silly. Still stuff I like about the site
William Hughes

Complex systems exhibit unexpected behaviour
Dec 19, 2023 12:29 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to old_geezer

The completely arbitrary rule seems to be: Chinese; yes, Korean;Yes, Malaysian;yes, Thai; No. I think they made up to rule some time after putting stuff on their list and tried to be "consistent" as they already had stiff from some other countries in. If they want to restrict themselves to Japanese productions they should do so, and either eliminate or grandfather stuff from other countries.

I find Mal's definition of "anime" rather silly. Still stuff I like about the site
@old_geezer Malaysian is also no.

And iirc the "loophole" with Chinese and Korea is that at some point both of those countries were under Japanese control.

Dec 19, 2023 3:13 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to old_geezer

There's Malaysian stuff on the DB?
Dec 21, 2023 3:54 PM

Mar 2010
The stupidest animes get a listing for the stupidest reasons (biased mods) but my daemon is not when it is an anime made in japan, joint project or not and this website is called my ANIME list
The hell. What kinda stupid kids do they set up for mods. I gave up submitting oldschool anime titles cause some kept getting rejected cause they were to stupid to confirm for themselves whether they were real or not because of age
Dec 29, 2023 5:14 PM
Dec 2023
Signed up to join this interesting debate, as my request to add this on Anime-Planet also got rejected.

I am watching this show also. I get the argument for omitting it from Anime websites, while it is a Thai/Japanese joint production, looking at the credits it is largely Thai so I can see it being debatable and not added.
But what bugs me, is if we go by the definition of how Japanese a production is, why are we including Chinese and Korean productions which have no Japanese involvement whatsoever? This is not exclusive to MAL, and I've seen other anime trackers and databases follow suit, like AniDB and Anime-Planet. These used to be pure anime websites but when did Chinese and Korean animations become anime? I saw somebody mention about it could be due to these territories were at one point under Japanese control, but isn't that foregone history and no longer the case when judging modern day content? Seems like a very frivolous detail to look at when deciding eligibility, as others have pointed out it feels like arbitrarily moving the goal post. If Japanese rule and influence is the reason, America also occupied Japan, so with that same logic you could you argue that American animation is also anime or that Japanese anime is actually American??? Afterall, the God of Manga and Anime himself, Osamu Tezuka was heavily influenced by Disney, Fleischer Bros and American media.

I do find this debate fascinating and I'm genuinely interested in why the eligibility of what qualifies as anime seems to have changed over the past few years across many veteran and revered websites, and started to include animations from other countries other than Japan?
Jan 3, 3:15 AM
Apr 2015
Reply to abystoma2
@abystoma2 Well, let's forget about all the quality of my daemon, let's pretend that it doesn't exist, but it is a series made jointly by Japan and Thailand, and it has very little about "Thais", it has all the nuances of a conventional anime, and it is a It's not very elitist to leave it out just because "it's not 100% Japanese" when it's a product made jointly (and largely) by Japan, apart from, as you say, it's an anime database, and just like it happens with music, There are genres that can be mixed, like rock and pop for example, why can't anime be mixed with another style of animation, or another nation? I say if this were not feasible and we were all elitist, there would be no avatar of the legend of Ang, a piece of masterpiece, which I also think, although it was not made in Japan, Ang's style is called amerimanga, and although there been created in the United States, half of its origin is basically the Japanese anime drawing style, call it whatever you want to call it, excuse yourself however you want to excuse yourself, from my point of view both my daemon should be in this database and avatar the legend of ang too.
Jan 3, 3:29 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to Pegasus363
@abystoma2 Well, let's forget about all the quality of my daemon, let's pretend that it doesn't exist, but it is a series made jointly by Japan and Thailand, and it has very little about "Thais", it has all the nuances of a conventional anime, and it is a It's not very elitist to leave it out just because "it's not 100% Japanese" when it's a product made jointly (and largely) by Japan, apart from, as you say, it's an anime database, and just like it happens with music, There are genres that can be mixed, like rock and pop for example, why can't anime be mixed with another style of animation, or another nation? I say if this were not feasible and we were all elitist, there would be no avatar of the legend of Ang, a piece of masterpiece, which I also think, although it was not made in Japan, Ang's style is called amerimanga, and although there been created in the United States, half of its origin is basically the Japanese anime drawing style, call it whatever you want to call it, excuse yourself however you want to excuse yourself, from my point of view both my daemon should be in this database and avatar the legend of ang too.
@Pegasus363 If it's predominantly or even equally as Japanese production, it passes the MAL rules and should get added. But remember, it's *production*, not just oursourced animation.

"Anime" isn't about how it looks. Avatar is pure american animation and absolutely does not belong here.

As a rule of thumb, if you're using the same arguments that people use for saying Avatar should be added, it's most likely not going to be added.

Jan 3, 5:00 AM
Mar 2011
Reply to abystoma2
@Pegasus363 If it's predominantly or even equally as Japanese production, it passes the MAL rules and should get added. But remember, it's *production*, not just oursourced animation.

"Anime" isn't about how it looks. Avatar is pure american animation and absolutely does not belong here.

As a rule of thumb, if you're using the same arguments that people use for saying Avatar should be added, it's most likely not going to be added.
@abystoma2 your so called "reasons" dosnt make any sense! stop acting like a kid and grow up!
Jan 3, 5:01 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to Hermiyas
@abystoma2 your so called "reasons" dosnt make any sense! stop acting like a kid and grow up!
@Hermiyas Ad hominem is not a great start for you in path to be taken seriously, but do tell, what doesn't make sense to you?

Jan 3, 5:10 AM
Mar 2011
Reply to abystoma2
@Hermiyas Ad hominem is not a great start for you in path to be taken seriously, but do tell, what doesn't make sense to you?
@abystoma2 you guys dont have any "real" criteria about what is acceptable or not. Can you write these so called "criterias". inform us!
Jan 3, 5:25 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to Hermiyas
@abystoma2 you guys dont have any "real" criteria about what is acceptable or not. Can you write these so called "criterias". inform us!
@Hermiyas I'm not sure who is "you guys" but sure, here, literally in the same forum section you're posting in as a pinned topic: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101

Jan 7, 9:28 AM
Dec 2018
So Chinese animations are allowed here but not my daemon? Lmao this site is funny
Jan 16, 9:55 AM
Jan 2021
Reply to Kumorini
So Chinese animations are allowed here but not my daemon? Lmao this site is funny
@Kumorini

Indeed. I suspect that the first not-totally Japanese anime, as long as they were "eastern" were just accepted without much thought. Then when it became clear that this could explode an attempt was made to write some rules that justified the earlier choices. This lead to a rather silly set of rules.
William Hughes

Complex systems exhibit unexpected behaviour
Jan 18, 7:51 PM

Jun 2017
Reply to Kumorini
@Kumorini That seems to be the rule. Either the MAL staff are racists, or they're afraid that Beijing will be upset with Thai products listed alongside China's. It's probably both
Jan 27, 3:18 PM
Jan 2019
This whole "what is anime" is BS. If it was strictly about Japan... ok. But... let's add China for fun, Korea for fun, and Taiwan. But there is a line. Why? Who knows. We just like those countries, that's all. Ridiculous.
Feb 2, 6:10 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to rassilon
@Kumorini That seems to be the rule. Either the MAL staff are racists, or they're afraid that Beijing will be upset with Thai products listed alongside China's. It's probably both
@rassilon Considering that Taiwanese animation is in the database that's a wild reach, and I'm going to guess you don't actually believe that, you just wanted to use that as a silly argument.

Feb 2, 6:34 AM

Jun 2017
True, but it's certainly suspicious that such a popular show was actively rejected by MAL.
Feb 7, 10:59 AM

Mar 2010
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=26385
Oh look. Its on ANN. But MAL mods are a bunch of racist piss ants and refuse to allow it on their website..Funni meme.
Feb 27, 9:38 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to MoonFox
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=26385
Oh look. Its on ANN. But MAL mods are a bunch of racist piss ants and refuse to allow it on their website..Funni meme.
@MoonFox Fun fact: just because you accuse someone of racism doesn't mean that your argument magically becomes correct.

Mar 24, 11:11 PM
Apr 2018
Reply to abystoma2
@hyper_sphere Chicken Papa is Japanese Animation, Boku no Daemon is a Thai animation. Japanese animation is allowed, Thai isn't. It's really that simple.
@abystoma2 https://myanimelist.net/anime/39675/ chinese cgi movie is also allowed? I don't know man, Mal is a funny site.
Mar 24, 11:21 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to Chishido
@abystoma2 https://myanimelist.net/anime/39675/ chinese cgi movie is also allowed? I don't know man, Mal is a funny site.
@Chishido Yes, Japanese, Korean and Chinese animation get added to the database. My Daemon is none of those.

Mar 25, 11:55 AM
Dec 2015
I agree that if chinese animated and voiced content are on here, anything else similar should be as well. If you really wanna get specific about it then the fact it is jp voiced and animated, as well as set in japan should be enough.
Mar 30, 2:12 AM
Jan 2024
can you add my daemon to this list? im just watched the anime and its so good
Apr 3, 6:50 AM
Aug 2023
Reply to abystoma2
@abystoma2 But then how come they turn a blind eye and allow Hanguk Aeni and Donghua shows to be listed. I know it's simply the case of Chinese, Korean and Japanese being under the Asian umbrella but then its starting to be a double standard cause Thai is also under the Asian Umbrella is it simply cause it's SE Asians (Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar) works and that they only allow East Asians (CJK) works?
Apr 3, 8:24 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to Una_Sama89
@abystoma2 But then how come they turn a blind eye and allow Hanguk Aeni and Donghua shows to be listed. I know it's simply the case of Chinese, Korean and Japanese being under the Asian umbrella but then its starting to be a double standard cause Thai is also under the Asian Umbrella is it simply cause it's SE Asians (Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar) works and that they only allow East Asians (CJK) works?
@Una_Sama89 Specifically Japanese, Korean and Chinese animations are allowed, yes. It's not "turning a blind eye", it has been like this basically from start of this site. My Daemon is neither of those, so it doesn't get added.

Apr 5, 6:04 AM
Aug 2023
Reply to abystoma2
@Una_Sama89 Specifically Japanese, Korean and Chinese animations are allowed, yes. It's not "turning a blind eye", it has been like this basically from start of this site. My Daemon is neither of those, so it doesn't get added.
@abystoma2 But why not Thai animaton, Thai is also asian
Apr 5, 9:53 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to Una_Sama89
@abystoma2 But why not Thai animaton, Thai is also asian
@Una_Sama89 Because it's not about just asian, but those three countries in particular. Same reason Indian animation also doesn't get added.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8688 by Kai_JackBox »»
Yesterday, 3:40 PM

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

682 by eblf2013 »»
Yesterday, 1:39 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Official French/German/Spanish Titles Here

Kineta - Nov 10, 2021

45 by Vaturna »»
Apr 18, 3:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.