Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 20, 2017 3:31 AM

Dec 2015
wow, this episode was a serious visual treat, I loved it.
Aug 20, 2017 8:48 AM

Oct 2008
Now that's kind of a different environment of an episode!
3/5.

Aug 20, 2017 11:02 AM

Jun 2016
Definitely one of my favourite episodes thus far. It was cute, but still dark. Kind of like a fairy tale.

She got into a coma, but it could have been because she learned about her friend dying and due to the starvation rates. She wanted to get back at the Pol, so she became a witch. Pol is already getting executed for his crimes, but while waiting he gets sucked into the dream world that Nene created. Nene wanted to destroy the kingdom, but she also wanted to see Pot, Pol, and Kuro again. Pol wanted to apologize before he left. (Knowing that this was loosely based on the real Pot Pol was interesting too)

At this point, Haruto can't really do anything since the moment Pol is executed the dream will end anyways. He was just an observer, which is similar to how his role in that one episode where the witch was avenging her family.

The episode was lovely. The art style may be cutesy, but each dream/director is different so it makes sense.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Aug 21, 2017 4:43 AM

Oct 2007
I really like how this episode is a thing in this series, but thank goodness the rest of it isn't like that, lol.
Aug 21, 2017 6:25 AM

Dec 2012
This was stunning! Absolutely gorgeous! I am so glad that they dared to do something as complex and abstract as this. It had me in tears at the end (with a very nice song may I add) and I really hope that there will be more episodes like this!

There is no meaning in trying to make complete sense if this to me, grasping the main story of the dream without searching for the reason is fine for me.

I also for some reason loved the Marie Antoinette reference, it explained how dire the situation was in a second.

2nd best episode of this show so far! I really hope that they don't go back to the half-crap animation after this.
The 2002 Tokyo Mew Mew adaptation is not as great as you remember it being.
Aug 21, 2017 6:58 AM
Mar 2012
Wow 1st episode to feel this immersive & heavy, that I didn't alt-tab.
The colorful pastel with rough texture on CG is rare & beautiful. Both the ost & characters were strong.

Mc's as observers: folks are wondering about this. It's unusual but some stories do have pov characters with minimal effect on the story. There's no requirement for Haruto to "be a hero" every time as well. This actually works with its theme of cold hard karma hitting Pol at the end. Symbolism of giant train, giant castle/rocket show the unchangeable course toward destruction. And mc's are locked in another room powerless.

The Joy & Pleasure parts were real nice, gives that simple happy feel like in kemonofriends, just with a strange love triangle potential & cute cat. Dead cat actually was sad & they achieved empathy for these characters in such a short time.
Anger & hate were epic. Nene destroyed Pol's country as a witch dreaming in Wizard of Oz style. Pol was the heartless Tinman, who shockingly & unwillingly became a Khmer Rouge style dictator. I think Nene woke up because she saw Tinman's remorse, finally recalling his crimes, and she wanted to return to the happier days. Or her anger is done, since the country's destroyed, and the "extra" news just came that Pol is executed. A depressing story where she's awake, but all her friends died.
As to the Witch's role, it served a minor purpose, but the real focus was Pol going thru karma.
'And then there were none' rap song quite dope.

Aug 22, 2017 2:23 PM

Dec 2008
This was the best and most interesting episode so far. The artwork was...different, but in a cute kind of way.

Perhaps I'm looking at this too deeply, but I believe Pol and Pot are the actually the same person. Nene was furious at Pot for killing Pol because what Pot actually killed was the good and warmth that was inside of him (Pol) for the sake of becoming a genocidal dictator.
Aug 22, 2017 2:57 PM
Aug 2017
I couldn't even finish the episode... I was upset the first 5 minutes. Not a fan at all of the direction this episode took, as far as the animation and art are concerned.

haha maybe I'll force myself to finish it before the next episode. Was it interesting?
Aug 22, 2017 8:25 PM
Jul 2017
can we just take a moment to appreciate how wonderful this episode was ? if disney and ghibli were to cooperate to make an episode , thats it . this was spectacular in every possible way ; the visuals , the soundtrack , the voice acting , and especially the storytelling , i did not really like this anime , but because of this episode , this anime will get a 10 from me .
Aug 22, 2017 10:06 PM

Mar 2016
I'm slowly losing interest in this show...

I like that their changing art styles and stuff... :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2017 3:00 AM
Oct 2014
I love the art. And something in this series reminds me of paranoia agent. Anyone? Or is it just me?
Aug 23, 2017 4:21 AM
Jul 2017
firasu said:
I love the art. And something in this series reminds me of paranoia agent. Anyone? Or is it just me?

omg this is exactly what i thought ! the atmosphere and the surrealism of the entire episode reminds me of satoshi kon works .

does anyone know who is the director ? he has to be a big shot , otherwise he wont make an episode of such quality
Aug 23, 2017 12:17 PM

Jan 2010
OH MY GOD, WHAAAAAAT
THIS EPISODE WAS AMAZING!!!
The setting was unbelievable, such a warm and fuzzy fairy tale feeling at first. I really felt I was spending a childhood with those characters, really made me care about them. And that bitter development made me actually FEEL the story. It hurt, but it was so beautiful, but it hurt. The art left me in awe of what I was seeing, so colorful, so surreal yet not really chaotic, everything was fitting nicely in an explosion of those five emotions. I feel like I'm beginning to exaggerate, but I simply fell in love with this. The children's book aesthetic combined with a more serious development made me feel like I've never seen anything like this before. I feel so fulfilled even with that bitter ending.

About what actually happened I feel like there were of course no king and no real kingdom, but still a real friend of the girl had done something horrible, I'm guessing killing another friend (and maybe killing himself after that too) and then she fell asleep from the shock. I suppose the setting she saw was just all influenced by the stuff she was hearing around her which transformed the traumatic event into a dark fairy tale/dream. But that's just a far fetched headcanon, that's my take on it.
Aug 23, 2017 12:36 PM

Jun 2012
If the opening hadn't been the same I probably wouldn't have realized i was still watching the same anime... Thought the change of animation was interesting, and honestly a relief from the shitty quality that we were starting to get, though the end of the episode wasn't looking to hot.
This episode did have one of the more compelling story lines, 20 mins seems to be a bit short to actually tell an entire narrative, so i kinda wish they'd spend some more time telling a complete story instead of these seemingly random snippets.
--"The world isn't as bad as you think"--
Aug 24, 2017 8:06 AM

Jun 2012
Best ED song so far. And this animation was quite surprising, looks like it's worth expecting for more erratic vibes for the upcoming episodes.
Aug 26, 2017 5:33 PM
Aug 2016
I really must find out who was behind the visual design and animation direction for this episode, I want to see more of their work. If anything, this episode feels like it is constrained by the baggage of being a 24-minute episode that has to be part of the larger 18if series- the recurring characters feel entirely superfluous, and the short run-time feels upsettingly restraining.

Considering the wealth of thematic motifs being addressed here, it seems like the episode was intended to be a 1-hour feature. Unfortunately, this smaller format does not allow for enough time to address all these motifs- Pol Pot, Wu Xing, the Cambodian Genocide, the Wizard of Oz, cat's cradle, all of these struggle to assert themselves within an already-truncated story about the terribly oppressive nature of dictatorships and the misery they cause. "Less is more" is obviously not a creed followed by the team behind this episode.

And yet, in a way I respect that. This episode is so maddeningly brimming with ideas and inspiration, and it's sort of exhilarating to see a creative project that had so much unexplored depth put into it. I would prefer to see more creative cluster-piles like this rather than Uninspired Boringly-Animated Male Self-Empowerment Show The 39th.
Aug 26, 2017 6:16 PM

Jul 2010
To me this just seemed to be a pilot for another show, and not just because of the different art style. Haruto doesn't interact with the main characters at all, so why is he even there. Isn't the main purpose of him being stuck in this world is that he's supposed to help these people to awaken from the Sleeping Beauty Syndrome. Kanzaki is also absent for most of the show except to add exposition. And I don't recall seeing Lily at all. It made no sense why they were even there. Stiil overall I am enjoying this show. If it continues like this it will definitely be part of my future Blu Ray collection.
Aug 27, 2017 2:33 PM
Apr 2017
kidlat020 said:
kougai! kougai! kougai!

no, I don't understand what the hell is going. I'm gonna assume that since this is an anime adaptation, the original game explains the arc in further detail and the anime can't possibly elaborate everything in 24 minutes

and the game will never be translated.

The game is on mobile. It's translated for the most part, don't know how much, search it up and you'll realize what kind do of game was used for this series
Then everything will make sense
Aug 27, 2017 8:02 PM

Oct 2015
God damn I find the characters in this show stupid and what the hell is wrong with those vehicles lmao. But wow adult nene was hot af. Still love how their experimenting all kinds of things in the show, the script just needs a little more polishing
Sep 1, 2017 9:16 AM

Mar 2009
I can't believe Gonzo actually made a good anime again.
Sep 3, 2017 4:14 AM

Dec 2015
I wasn't surprised by the style change, it happened before and will surely happen again. But the mere mention of Pol Pot in a confidential series born out of a cellular puzzle game took me off guard.

4/5 I wonder if it was done at Gonzo, back then they were reputed for their good use of CGI in 2D animation.

@kidlat020 The game should exist in english: it has an english presentation webpage . But there is prob@bly nothing to find relevant to the anime apart from the basic concept and heroes designs.

@ToG25thBaam If only they didn't try to force a big story beyond the anthology aspect...

ToG25thBaam said:
wish it would've stayed creepy/gory like the first episode, and continue to build on it, eventually address the issue of being a killer in a dream

Well, the anthology concept was what seduced me so I was always fine with the show going from one thing to another entirely different (either in theme or artistic vision). As much as I loved the fact they referenced Nightmare on Elm Street with the second or third episode, more of that and I'm sure I wouldn't have bothered to watch 13 episodes.
Rei_IIINov 23, 2017 11:33 AM
Sep 4, 2017 2:22 PM

Nov 2016
I was so confused until I realized Pot put the box there the second time intentionally. He was mad about Pol becoming ruler. (you can see in the flashback that he's like why don't they just eat cake if they're starving and he's looking down, ashamed) Also when he gets taken away by the guards instead of being run over Pots hands are in fists and he looks mad asf.
Ah, I understand now. The guards aren't just assholes. xD
Nov 4, 2017 8:41 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was tiresome to watch.
Nov 11, 2017 6:15 PM

May 2012
What an impressive episode! Really interesting art style and story! Really loved this one I must say!
Nov 19, 2017 10:59 AM

Jun 2011
I can kind of see why this show is rated below 7 on MAL now, more than half of the total episodes in and we still do not get a general direction for the series. The first 2 episodes were great but everything else so far have been mediocre.

Who gives a shit about this story, that came out of nowhere. The show is wacky but it tries so hard to be just that sometimes that it just doesn't work as well.

Rei366 said:
@ToG25thBaam If only they didn't try to force a big story beyond the anthology aspect...
Agreed. Also wish it would've stayed creepy/gory like the first episode, and continue to build on it, eventually address the issue of being a killer in a dream but carrying it to real life, yet facing zero consequences for the action, etc. Just finished the series and it's very disappointing.

Rei366 said:
Well, the anthology concept was what seduced me so I was always fine with the show going from one thing to another entirely different (either in theme or artistic vision). As much as I loved the fact they referenced Nightmare on Elm Street with the second or third episode, more of that and I'm sure I wouldn't have bothered to watch 13 episodes.
Staying episodic would've been nice as well, but the series hinted at a bigger story from the very first episode. It would've been awkward if they didn't somehow address it, not to say that it isn't awkward now because there are certain plot points they've introduced that they just flat out ignored (due to time constraint?) I agree it's definitely a shame though, think of all the fun and creative stories that they could've written being excusable because they're not bound by the limitation of realism.
ToG25thBaamNov 23, 2017 4:23 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 23, 2017 11:41 AM

Aug 2012
I liked the unique artstyle but i have no idea where this show is going.
Dec 18, 2017 3:17 PM

Apr 2017
This was quite the messy episode. Ngl, I had a hard time understanding what story was it trying to tell me. I loved the visuals and the music though.
Mar 12, 2018 10:25 PM

Apr 2016
This anime is really f*cked up in many ways but this episode is probably the highlight so far. I think this episode is more of a short story anime rather than being a part of 18if itself, there really was no point in putting the MC and that proff here LOL.
CzeroCMar 12, 2018 10:33 PM
Dec 16, 2018 6:07 PM

Dec 2014
Pol Pot was a murderous dictator of Vietcong. From wiki
Those regarded as enemies of the new government were killed. These mass killings, coupled with malnutrition, strenuous working conditions, and poor medical care, killed between 1.5 to 3 million people of a population of roughly 8 million (about 25%), a period later termed the Cambodian genocide.
.. There is references to it in the headlines. I have to rewatch this knowing this info.
Feb 26, 2019 4:18 AM

Apr 2017
The artwork was beautiful, too bad that I'm too dumb to understand anything

buy mochi at the mochi store
and friends at the friend store

Jul 2, 2019 2:40 AM
Jan 2019
inspired by Oz?
the art really change but still it's good
i fill it's dictatorship that king was force i feel sorry for him
Feb 20, 2020 12:34 PM
Jan 2017
the sleek and wierd artstyle made me think at 1st this was some kind of Studio Ghibli Parody but apparantly this was supposed to be wizard of the OZ!?!
this was defintely a strange episode
Jun 5, 2020 6:52 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I mean, what? First time Haruto doesn't resolved the problem of Sleeping Syndrome by his self. Lol with the episode direction. It felt like a rollercoaster. I don't even know if i am watching the same show or not. Because, yeah, the direction feel weird and disgusting. I mean, look at the Introduction using some 3DCGI out of nowhere, portraying the dream that needed to awake the girl. Feels bad with the king and his friend. Feels bad for Haruto and the profesor cat by doing nothing on this episode. Its confusion make me wonder, why am i watching this show?

Fortunately, the closure still same every episode, make me need to continue watching. Thats it for this episode. Glad i survived such a long sighed like this show. Lmao.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 5, 2020 7:32 PM

Jul 2016
So the robot was pol? And he was forced to kill pot or he would not become king and the girl.. her name was nene i think. She got mad and destoryed his kingdom? 0_O this episode was such a mindfuck
Aug 30, 2020 4:58 AM
Feb 2020
Did they REALLY just pull a Marie Antoinette...?
Nov 19, 2021 10:07 AM

Jun 2015
This was a wonderful episode. It was a big surprise. I loved the art. With some tweaking, it can be a stand-alone movie.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 9, 2022 1:22 AM
Dec 2019
this is one of the best episode in this show ! so impressive
In short, the episode talks about political corruption
And how the main character strives to be a good king but ends up starving his people and executing them
So he executed his friend!
I think his friend represents the educated class that rejects corruption and oppression

So the rulers saw the need to get rid of it because it was a threat to them
But what was somewhat incomprehensible was that Pol intentionally? Or is it controlled?
Is he a culprit or a victim?
This is similar to what happened with the Khmer Rouge led by Pol Pot - the names of the main characters -
The episode talked about karma, so the main characters didn't enter because Haruto said he'd get what he deserved
The episode is sad and heartbreaking and made a great impression
I think Nina misses the good old days she spent with her friends and the cat
she finally decided to take revenge and destroy the kingdom
Jan 26, 2022 10:16 PM

Mar 2010
This episode kinda annoyed me. EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA.

Seemed like a way different anime. This was a sad story.
Oct 16, 2023 2:17 PM
Aug 2019
this short outstanding doesn't deserve to be relegated in this shitty anime.
Oct 16, 2023 2:38 PM
Aug 2019
this short outstanding doesn't deserve to be relegated in this shitty anime.
Feb 25, 3:43 PM
Feb 2024
I had no clue what was happening but at least the art style was unique i guess?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » 18if Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2017

45 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 26, 12:48 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 25, 2017

28 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 26, 12:34 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2017

39 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 3:27 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2017

48 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 2:55 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2017

75 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 20, 8:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.