Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 12, 2018 7:46 AM

Apr 2009
Well that was kinda sad but peaceful. I envy the wisdom of the ancient dragons, they must have a lot to teach us in all the long, long years they've lived.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 9, 2018 9:26 PM

May 2012
What a beautiful episode I must say, really enjoyed it even though it was sad yet so lovely!

Really looking forwards to see what's next.
Oct 1, 2018 2:00 PM

Feb 2012
England has mages and Iceland has dragons... very accurate.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 15, 2018 1:12 PM

May 2013
The animation was just breathtakingly SPECTACULAR.

I also loved Nevin <3 so wise :]

I guess this anime doesn't have any extra end credit bits :( what a shame. I wish it did, but it's alright.
Nov 7, 2018 6:07 PM

Apr 2015
Hatchlings are thicc Tamagotchis. Good bois.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 16, 2019 5:08 PM
Jan 2019
Loved it as it's where we first meet Lindell! Voiced by the amazing Todd Haberkorn in the dubbed version. His character is great to watch by the way he interacts with Elias and Chise, you can tell the he is much older despite his youthful appearance as he has a wise aura around him yet he's still very playful.
The scene with the old dragon became rather emotional, I had almost forgotten all about it since the first time I watched it and the scene where Chise was thrown into the river was funny but then dried off by Elias was very sweet.
Also love Ealis' little comments of 'die' throughout the series xD
Jan 17, 2019 11:22 AM

Oct 2014
I feel like it's a little overrated but it was beautiful <.<
Mar 14, 2019 2:59 AM

Jul 2013
Well that dragon's death was sad but Chise is right cause he's lucky to have died a peaceful way.
Apr 26, 2019 4:38 PM

Feb 2018
The oldest dragon is dead.
Oct 4, 2019 7:57 AM

Mar 2015
What an episode! The hatchlings were so cute and Nevin's last flight was gorgeous!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 3, 2019 9:49 AM

Sep 2018
A satisfying episode in which the narration is cloaked in magic and touching moments, one is not disappointed this time either. In the story we know new characters that will serve the story in the future, as will happen with those seen previously. Always well made drawings and backgrounds.
Dec 3, 2019 12:59 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really great episode once again, that world and the creatures are too beautiful
Feb 29, 2020 3:57 AM

Apr 2013
While the last episode felt quite fast, this one felt quite slow. Not much happened and that dragon mage is rude, I don't like him.
Apr 22, 2020 12:35 AM

Jun 2013
This episode was so heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. It is probably my favorite episode so far.

Perfect animation, voice acting, background music and story (for this episode).

It broke my heart but also made me happy when Uil asked her to make a staff out of the tree that he grew into.
臭い-
May 13, 2020 8:52 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Didn't expect to bawl my eyes out so soon. Knew immediately seeing Nevin that he'd be passing soon... holy fuck, for something that doesn't hit upon impact I can not stop my eyes from leaking. Beautiful, truly. Thank Chise for giving him something to look forward too. I wonder why they left Chise alone to do this.
May 23, 2020 8:06 PM

Mar 2010
Chise is right.. going out in that way in a beautiful place into a enormous looking tree would be a way to go. And to make it better you dream of flight and share your last words to the next generation.

This episode was so light hearted loved the little young dragons.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 27, 2020 10:40 AM

Jan 2015
ah, what i wouldn't do to play with little dragons
Nov 6, 2020 8:25 AM

May 2016
I can't deny this anime really fills some space in my heart, it beyond beautiful.
Dec 19, 2020 7:00 PM

Jul 2017
Sublime episode. The world building so far in this show is magnificent, loved Chise's interactions with the young dragons and when she met Uncle Nevin, who was an ancient dragon that lived a really long life but ultimately has to turn into a tree after passing on, especially to keep the forest alive. Her conversation with Uncle Nevin was quite the eye-opener, especially since she felt sad that her mother committed suicide on her and it affected her own mental health badly when memories of her past were shown. Uncle Nevin was glad though that she chose life, and that she has the opportunity to be with Elias and experience a truly blissful and magical life for once, and gives her his blessing by showing his own memories to her and how it feels to soar in the sky with the power of life.

The music was exceptional, especially during the flying scene and the animation/artwork continues to be really stellar too. The dragons were really well animated and fit beautifully with the scenery, with nothing sticking out whatsoever. WIT Studio did such a good job in carefully drawing everything out and making it all harmonize together, clearly passionate about the work they've done for this project. Overall a slow, but beautifully crafted episode and a superb start to this show. Already showing some of the best signs of world building in a fantasy anime so early on, which most fantasy anime have been lacking for the past decade. The setting feels magical and mesmerizing to watch, even if its just a modern setting with a fantasy/supernatural twist rather than a completely new setting altogether.
Mar 16, 2021 3:55 PM
Mar 2018
That was incredibly beautiful.
May 14, 2021 6:06 AM

Aug 2019
damn another amazing episode, really liked their ideology of life and death
Jul 3, 2021 3:16 PM
Sep 2020
So that Lindel is definitely mischievous but he is good at heart i think !!! Ainsworth really know some interesting people huh !

This was like a emotional episode with the death of that dragon Nevin !!! It was still a lovely episode !!
Sep 26, 2021 10:23 AM

Aug 2011
"When he died, there was such peace." I loved the way this anime depicts dragon lore and their process of returning back to the earth once they die. It's so beautiful how Chise was able to heal some of her own wounds while soaring thru the skies in Nevin's memories. I felt so at peace watching this episode, especially the way dragons aren't afraid to die because they've lived their lives to the fullest so that there's no regrets.
desu desu binches
Oct 17, 2021 12:36 AM

Jan 2021
this show is truly beautiful........

"this is the work of nature.... they are at peace with becoming the seedbeds for other life."

I relate enormously with Chise. I have envied the dead, especially those who were able to pass peacefully.
Oct 24, 2021 2:45 PM

Jan 2021
I'd like to point out a small detail that Chise wasn't riding on top of Nevin during his final dream but next to him. This gave her the feeling of true flight as if she could fly herself. Its not a massively important detail, but something that I noticed while watching that gives a little more meaning. It was a nice touch
Dec 6, 2021 9:15 AM
Nov 2020
I cry every single time. That slow, heavy mature voice of the ancient dragon just strikes the feels so deep when he speaks and his kindness to Chise is overwhelming. I will never think of dragons the same after this episode.
Sep 14, 2022 6:10 PM

Jan 2009
Wow that episode was amazing. What a beautiful show, both in presentation and nataration. Really liking this so far.
Sep 18, 2022 5:25 AM
Aug 2018
Beautiful and nice plot at the beggining but then almost no rpogression in the firsts episodes
Oct 19, 2022 1:18 PM

May 2020
Dragon guy wasn't evil or something like they depicted him in last cliffhanger, in fact he was a mage too, the caretaker of Dragon land. Though that conversation between Chise and Nevin despite being filled with age long melancholy had each word of it giving the soothing sense of peace.

Also the dream sequence was beyond beautiful.
Dec 22, 2022 5:48 PM

Nov 2022
How bittersweet... It touched upon the topic of transience- the old and young were juxtaposed in striking harmony with each other, and in a way offers an alternative to the saying "beauty is only temporary". The dragon died peacefully, satisfied with life and pleased to become a bed for new life to flourish. "The living should not envy the dead". I hope Chise will learn to embrace life with the same elegance as the dragon embraced death.
Dec 31, 2022 9:12 PM

Jul 2022
I don't know how to feel about it with some ways of thinking I've seen in this anime...
Feb 11, 2023 12:03 PM

Jan 2021
I can't say anything other than this whole episode is beautiful, majestic and magical.

Mar 10, 2023 8:41 PM

Feb 2019
The best episode so far; this one really hits you with that mystical and peaceful atmosphere and just makes you feel so wonderful. The bit with the dragon dying and how it affected Chise was surprisingly poignant, I'm really interested to learn more about her and see her develop
"Do you believe in gravity?"
Mar 11, 2023 9:29 AM
Jan 2022
Unexpected tears...
Mar 16, 2023 5:30 AM

Jun 2019
This was such a beautiful episode. It made me emotional to see Nevin die in peace like that. RIP.
Mar 28, 2023 12:31 AM
Mar 2020
It was perfect, the character development of the dragon was astonishing and hit me right in the feelings.
Apr 6, 2023 11:21 PM

Jan 2010
I think Chise has been headpatted by every single character she's met since getting bought by Elias. He wasn't kidding when he called her a puppy, I suppose.

I wasn't sure what to expect from The Ancient Magus' Bride, but I knew that its name rang of great mysticism and wonder. It's been a long time since there's been an anime that interested me purely from the title. I've since been aware of the manga's existence for a while, so I was surprised to hear its adaptation announced after so long. The anime itself feels...lacking in some respects. To dispel any misunderstanding, I love the atmosphere and how the story feels like a longstanding rehabilitation for Chise, but I feel like either a film adaptation or spaced out monthly OVA releases would have fit the anime better. I think this series could have greatly benefitted from having enhanced visuals in order to accentuate the grandiose magics and sprawling locations Chise visits. Although, this might be due to my familiarity with other titles featuring magical elements added to daily life, such as something akin to some Ghibli films and whatnot. I would have really liked to see more flare added to the series, but that's probably because it's what I'm used to. At its current state, I suppose the series is fine for what it is. 

The Ancient Magus' Bride feels small in scale, featuring a tight-knit community of magi with Chise exploring a dying magical world. That tight scope could work to the show's benefit, as it focuses on Chise's world without getting overburdened with extraneous, convoluted plots. The most harrowing thought presented thus far was Lindel's posturing of Chise possibly being of the final generation of mages. As such, it does make sense that the anime also feels small. I like how the anime feels like Chise's personal journey, where the tone shifts from mysterious, to traumatic, to comedic, then to sentimental within a five minute timespan. She's experiencing a whirlwind of emotions as she attempts to settle into her new life, despite still harboring deep scars in her heart. 

It's still a bit early to tell if I enjoy The Ancient Magus' Bride or not, but I'm certainly fascinated by its world and its functions. That being said, I can only wonder how the series conducts itself once the introductory segments are done. At the current stage, the series still feels fresh with great ambitions for further developing Chise and her new world, so I'll stay patient and wait for the series to progress. 
Apr 7, 2023 9:52 AM
Apr 2023
The way they used colors to describe the feelings of Chise was really beautiful
Apr 23, 2023 12:29 PM
Apr 2022
The history is complex and the OST is sooooo good, the characters and History-telling is so unique, is the one of the bests anime i had watched in these years, its sad with isekais taking the scene with generic plot, i fell sad cause that anime is not too known and the second season its being adapted now (2023) and the enjoyers was waited for too long for a new season
btw that its and you know how the inc is so complex and that anime suffed with that complex
lol i lov that anime with all of my heart.
May 9, 2023 1:15 AM
Mar 2020
Its such a magical show with an amazing view on the fae and not just lame stupid lil pixies and instead folklore beasts itself
Jun 11, 2023 7:49 AM

May 2020
Episode 3 yet it feels like ive watched a whole movie. Time flies so slow when watching this anime ♥️. The art, scenery, bg music and everything is so perfect that it made a spot in my 10/10 favorites.
Jun 22, 2023 12:48 PM

Jul 2008
Damn Chise doesn't want to live....but from what I've seen so far can I blame her for feeling that way?
Jun 26, 2023 2:12 AM
Jul 2022
No way I'm crying over a dragon I've only known for 15 minutes - what even is this? Absolutely beautiful, scenes and music. I'm glad he was kind to Chise even though he didn't know her for very long. If all the episodes are like this, I singlehandedly, will stop worldly droughts.
Jul 2, 2023 9:50 AM
Feb 2020
the dragon episode is one of my favourite. Very philosophical.
Jul 9, 2023 9:40 PM
Jul 2023
Estou apaixonado pelo universo e pela dinâmica, tudo é muito mágico e bonito.
Aug 12, 2023 4:42 PM

Aug 2019
that was kinda cool. chise passes out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2023 6:27 AM
Jul 2023
I tried hard not to cry. It was an episode that really increased the emotions inside people.
Feb 21, 8:09 PM
Sep 2019
rewatching show but what the actual figgity duck. ok but this episode was a wild ride on the simulation. philosophy and whatnot. this. this got me thinkin. then my brain just frizzed out for 5 minutes with no thoughts. anyone else have this reaction.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

376 by SingingDove »»
Jul 12, 4:34 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

267 by animeciyusuf020 »»
Jun 23, 3:08 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2018

108 by Shocked »»
Jun 16, 7:46 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2018

111 by Shocked »»
Jun 16, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2018

93 by Shocked »»
Jun 16, 5:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.