Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2017 8:18 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was classic! Loved the beginning with the servant action and epic music. I had some doubts about A-1 animating the action elements but I am satisfied from what I saw from the first episode.

They introduced quite a decent amount of characters as well and I'm really happy to see Jeanne and Mordred in animated form. Waver and Kairi are also a nice sight to see. I got high expectations for this show now considering that it was recently announced with 25 episodes. Might be getting a full adaptation? I hope so.

Stark700Jul 1, 2017 8:24 AM
Jul 1, 2017 8:25 AM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
Great first impression, a good example of giving information on motion. I am having high expectations now. The animation is good.
PipeJul 1, 2017 8:32 AM

Jul 1, 2017 8:27 AM

Feb 2015
The animation actually was pretty good and there wasn't any CGI, that's a pleasant surprise. Though A-1 might tried to make first episode look really good and quality will drop from the second one.
So far the fights were enjoyable, really glad to see Shirou and Red team animated.
Golems looking like SW prequel droids though.

So, which group is going to sub this?
BitchOnTheBeachJul 1, 2017 8:30 AM
Jul 1, 2017 8:30 AM

Sep 2014
El melloi 2's face was terrible, Christ.

They changed Mordred's intro, but I guess this fits too.

Also the way her helmet merged with her armour was a cool touch.

ED(OP?) was nice.
mira-pyonJul 1, 2017 8:37 AM
The sun is a deadly laser
Jul 1, 2017 8:32 AM

Jul 2007
Okay first episode with decent action animation. Nothing too creative or insane but good enough for A1. Apo's (only) strength is the fighting so hopefully it is kept up on this level.

Otherwise quite typical content as expected. Some character designs bug me in the wrong way but oh well. Characters are nothing to write home about but that is to be expected so hopefully at least the content of the characters that I liked gets handled well before it all goes to shit. Since its full two cour adaptation maybe add some anime original material to those characters that get shafted latter on. Would be cool but I am not gonna expect that.

Cinematography and music side of things also does not stand out. Its all competent enough for this adaptation I guess, at least it is not as bad as FGO OVA was, even though bot adaptations have similar intent(marketing) and both production teams clearly were not out to make anything too grand or stunning.

Let's just hope all the action animation remains top notch to make it worth putting up to all the utterly dumb things to come in this story.

7/10
Jul 1, 2017 8:38 AM
Apr 2017
Anyone know who's got the broadcast rights for this outside of Japan? Need to see if i've got legal access to it.

It's one of the ones ive been looking forward to this season but i can't find it right now.
Jul 1, 2017 8:40 AM

Jul 2007
Brotox said:
Anyone know who's got the broadcast rights for this outside of Japan? Need to see if i've got legal access to it.

It's one of the ones ive been looking forward to this season but i can't find it right now.

Netflix got the rights
Jul 1, 2017 8:59 AM
Jul 2010
Fai said:
Brotox said:

Netflix got the rights

Has it been announced when it will air on Netflix for US watchers?
Jul 1, 2017 9:02 AM

Sep 2016
First episode was awesome really enjoyed but sad we aint see Lancer of black massacre in a coool way :P having my faith in A1
Jul 1, 2017 9:22 AM

Sep 2014
daftphunk said:
Fai said:

Netflix got the rights

It says on the 3rd in the Apo website, but I dunno if that's just for JP or for Netflix in general.
Jul 1, 2017 9:41 AM

Apr 2016
Fai said:
Brotox said:

Netflix got the rights
Fuck, only Netflix?! There goes any hope of anyone outside of Japan watching it legally within the time of airing since Netflix never ever releases currently airing series on their steaming service until after the show is already over. as a How I Met Your Mother fan and someone who wanted to watch LWA, boy do I have experience with this
Jul 1, 2017 9:54 AM

Apr 2017
Just keep in touch from it's animation can easily tier up ufotable but this seems actually much more decent. With great budget, Dealing any scenario from that kind of flaw takes effort. And It's going to LIT as HYPE.

>Well What an Intense fresh outgoing intro to start an episode.
>Might rewatch the subs later
-HippySnob-Jul 1, 2017 9:58 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jul 1, 2017 9:56 AM

Aug 2012
What the fuuuuuuu i'm i supposed to watch this season then ?

Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu ? CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE

This season is going to suck big time.
Jul 1, 2017 9:57 AM
Apr 2014
Is this even out on Netflix yet?
Jul 1, 2017 9:59 AM

Aug 2012
Neji1809 said:

It's Netflix japan only.

Also, Netflix only releases series when they are completed so don't expect this to be on Netflix japan until the end of broadcast.
Jul 1, 2017 10:02 AM

Jul 2007
mira-pyon said:
daftphunk said:

It says on the 3rd in the Apo website, but I dunno if that's just for JP or for Netflix in general.

Netflix JP will most likely get it per episode
Netflix Global will get it binge way like other anime on netflix.
Jul 1, 2017 10:12 AM
Jul 2018
never read the novels, this first ep is quite confusing with so many characters looks i'll have to watch again to remember who's who. A1 burned a lot of cash for that opening fight scene, i hope they can keep up that quality.

also the ED (or is it the OP) by egoist is disappointing.
Jul 1, 2017 10:36 AM

Nov 2013
sinkershel said:
Neji1809 said:

It's Netflix japan only.

Also, Netflix only releases series when they are completed so don't expect this to be on Netflix japan until the end of broadcast.

Netflix Japan does weekly simulcasts.

Other Netflix territories do binge-style.
Disappear. This chair is an eyesore. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair.
Jul 1, 2017 10:42 AM

May 2016
is great opening episode 1 i'm watching before no sub but I understand you make exciting them
I don't care
Jul 1, 2017 10:49 AM

Sep 2014
edwd2 said:
never read the novels, this first ep is quite confusing with so many characters looks i'll have to watch again to remember who's who.

No need for that,

(not really a spoiler, but mods)
Jul 1, 2017 10:51 AM

Apr 2015
edwd2 said:
never read the novels, this first ep is quite confusing with so many characters looks i'll have to watch again to remember who's who. A1 burned a lot of cash for that opening fight scene, i hope they can keep up that quality.

also the ED (or is it the OP) by egoist is disappointing.

That's the nature of Apocrypha, a very large cast. That can be a benefit or a bane for the series depending on how they handle it.
And that was not exactly on the budget but simply having people like Shun Enokido & Takahito on board.
It's quite useful to have a staff stacked with web gen animators, some of which are familiar with the Fate franchise due to their involvement in the FGO CMs
Jul 1, 2017 11:11 AM
Jul 2018
The episode was good, I didn't read the novel (still stuck at the Japanese version of F/Z), the premise seems interesting though I couldn't help spoiling myself to clarify some stuff. The relationship between Roche and his servant (which I thought would be reverse) caught me off guard.
Jul 1, 2017 11:18 AM
Apr 2014
Any subs groups say if they were going to sub this? lol
Jul 1, 2017 11:46 AM

Sep 2015
SabrinaKhuntia said:

Thank you:) But Caster of Red, can he even fight?
valvravetruthJul 1, 2017 11:58 AM
Jul 1, 2017 11:58 AM
Aug 2015
Is this how it would feel if you watch a fast paced fights in real life? They move as if their body are teleporting (or should i say what i saw was an aftereffect?). Well not that i'm complaining, actually that was awesome!!! Hope i can see more fights like this in the upcoming episodes. Good job A-1!
Jul 1, 2017 12:33 PM

Aug 2010
Autobot Mordred is pretty cool looking.

Overall, very well animated, but the level of detail on the non-action scenes is pretty yucky. I guess they know where prioritize their time and budget, but damn, at least don't make them look this derpy when the camera is just a few meters away.

Dat Waver tho.

A pretty nice start. I haven't read Apocrypha, so this should be interesting to experience a Fate for the first time, from an anime no less.

I'd rate this episode 8.5/10. It'd have been a 9.5 if it wasn't for some of the dodgy animation.
Jul 1, 2017 3:00 PM

Sep 2015
So you can only watch this Fate only on broadcast for now? can't even find raw
Into the Internet!
Jul 1, 2017 3:02 PM
Apr 2014
ZBlastHistory said:
So you can only watch this Fate only on broadcast for now? can't even find raw

It is Raw on Gogoanime
Jul 1, 2017 3:26 PM

May 2016
Quite decent actually, but the animation is purely great which I always asked like "Why's the animation is so good?" Although A-1 Pictures has got a shot to adapting those episode, so we'll see how it goes.
Jul 1, 2017 3:39 PM

Jul 2013
Well, it was a good beginning. Typical infodump episode presemting some characters in the typical Fate fashion, who doesn't bothers me at all, tbh. Shishigou looks GAR as Hell, and I'm liking that, Fate without GAR is like an ocean without water. Mordred looked cool too. Well, the Servants who appeared in the episode looked cool overall, cannot wait to see Saber of Black in action too (this episode teased a bit his battle against Mordred, but I want more...)

The fight scenes at the beginning looked good, hope the studio keeps maintaining the level. Wish they would show some more of Jeanne, but she will appear in all her glory eventually.

I would never thought the golems of Avicebron looked like droids from Star Wars, lol.
Nice Matsuoka character and GAR Waver, btw.

Also
IllyricusJul 1, 2017 4:25 PM
Jul 1, 2017 3:40 PM

Jun 2014
The battle at the beginning was good and entertaining, as well as the Servant summonings at the end. Other than that, I don't really have much else to say about this episode since I watched it raw and couldn't understand what they were saying. I'm sure it was mostly expository stuff that's setting up the foundation of what we're getting into.

EDIT: Just watched the sub and I was pretty much right, standard first episode for a Fate series that explained the Holy Grail War and introduced the different Masters and whatnot. Also it's pretty cool how they're changing things up a little and making it a 7 vs. 7 team deathmatch.
thebrentinator24Jul 2, 2017 2:56 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 1, 2017 4:26 PM

Sep 2015
So

and

are master in this Fate huh?

And

are Homunculus in this Fate
Into the Internet!
Jul 1, 2017 5:15 PM

Nov 2013
Sooo, I've got to admit it, it looks way more promising than I expected. A-1 really tried to imitate ufotable and the result wasn't half bad (still the backgrounds, detail and color of ufotable is better, but it's passable). There's also the great(like really good) cast, so many people, Sawashiro Miyuki as Red Saber(Mordred), Sakamoto Maaya as Ruler(Jeanne), Uchiyama Kouki as Shiro and Hayami Saori as Red Archer.
This is shaping up to be really something, I just hope the quality doesn't drop.
Jul 1, 2017 6:08 PM

Feb 2016
oh boy the hype is real...

the animation looks really promising, hope A-1 doesn't mess up and ends dissapointing
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jul 1, 2017 10:10 PM

May 2015
jeanne waifu is here

animation is decent hope they keep it up
fight between mordred and sieg was mediocre(its just bits so can be probly forgiven)
the summoninng was hype tho XD
Jul 2, 2017 12:03 AM
Jul 2018
Watched this RAW because the temptation was a lot to handle. Didn't really got a lot of context but I did got the main idea of it so far regarding on the plot, and as a introduction it didn't at least bored me I suppose xD Mordred though looks awesome.
Jul 2, 2017 12:24 AM

Jun 2012
Its a decent animation at least, and I didn't expect to see Flatt in this episode...I'll give A-1 pictures 10/10 for that. But please leave fate/strange fake to ufotable XD.

The summoning was hype!!
LOL, Mordred just gave her name after being summoned, that's a nice change in script, honestly.
Jul 2, 2017 2:14 AM

Apr 2015
Couldn't wait anymore and watched Russian fandub. Now waiting for Eng subs to compare
Jul 2, 2017 2:59 AM

Jul 2015
Fate entries never fail to deliver their first episode infodump of doom. I know I have a pretty bad attention span, but I'm still not sure how all of you mates manage to stay focused while tons of character (dat designs...) and lots of stuff get introduced all at the same time.
Jul 2, 2017 3:11 AM

Nov 2014
Lel. Transformer Mordred.
Actually better than her light novel intro.
Jul 2, 2017 5:19 AM

Jun 2017
Interesting first episode and the Mordred vs SiegF fight was awesome <3
Jul 2, 2017 6:50 AM

Apr 2013
I'm honestly having some reserve with that fight at the beginning. That fight between the two saber class was generic and the two hougu looked identical AND bland at the same time. I hope that in exchange of having two times the amount of servant, we're not getting two times more generic powers from them.

Jul 2, 2017 7:04 AM
Apr 2015
So were the people that got impaled by lancer on stakes the so called "first rate" magi they send to dispose of Yggdmillennia? If yes, couldn't they made them look even more like generic office workers? At least the manga gave them capes.

Different style is something to get used to, atleast mordred looks kinda cool with her helmet.

Wow, they really aren't hiding who the sadist is going to be in this one...

All out war between golems, magi and those dragon tooth warriors (from F/SN)? Looks like they finally managed to kill something, unlike in F/SN where they failed to kill even a failed magus boy.

Alot of things going on (including flash backs, flash forwards etc.) Hard to keep track on what is going on or understand.

B rock battle droid was the best character so far ;)
Jul 2, 2017 7:47 AM

Dec 2015
didnt get a lot of things from the raw , will watch again after the sub , but it look nice , didnt expect egoist to do the OP
Jul 2, 2017 7:53 AM

Jul 2007
Zefyris said:
I'm honestly having some reserve with that fight at the beginning. That fight between the two saber class was generic and the two hougu looked identical AND bland at the same time. I hope that in exchange of having two times the amount of servant, we're not getting two times more generic powers from them.

While powers are quite varied I would not expect too much varied use of them. Apo is a lot more like a shonen tournament than other fate works.

Also most of Sabers are pretty much high-stats turtles with various types of beamswords. Its pretty much a class that is all about melee bullshit and laser beams and no creativity. Its a class whose sole purpose is to bash others with a sword and overwhelm them via higher stats.

Archers and Casters usually have something unique, with Archers usually being most specialized in terms of NP utility(as in its more situational and tactical rather than an attack).
Rider class servants are somewhat mix of both in that it could be just overwhelming beamspam or it could be something cool.
Berserkers usually don't need to use their NP or have something that is active passively as an NP.
Assassins 99% of times have NPs that are meant to kill people rather than to fight another servant.

Alas, considering this is Apocrypha, prepare for a lot of beams and attacks instead.

frenze12 said:
So were the people that got impaled by lancer on stakes the so called "first rate" magi they send to dispose of Yggdmillennia? If yes, couldn't they made them look even more like generic office workers? At least the manga gave them capes.

Why should they? Magi want to blend in and would not look like anything but normal people. Touko looks like office worker herself after all.

All out war between golems, magi and those dragon tooth warriors (from F/SN)? Looks like they finally managed to kill something, unlike in F/SN where they failed to kill even a failed magus boy.

That "failed magus boy" was a great fighter in top notch human condition tho? Not exactly failed.

Also they did plenty in the bad ends.
AhenshihaelJul 2, 2017 11:04 AM
Jul 2, 2017 8:03 AM

Jun 2013
A decent episode where we get enough background to get us started. Seems like fights will be excellent ( assuming animation quality stays the same until the end ) and that characters will be exploited as they should be.

And I laughed at how they did Mordred's armor, it acts like something right out of Iron Men or Dead Space and not magical Medieval Age. xD

Now two things that bothered me here:

-showing that battle in the beginning.

While I get why they did it it was really not necessary to do anthill other than Sieg and Mordred charging up their NP's.

-Jeanne's formation of contract.

This thing really irks me as they gave to this 10 whole seconds after credits roll. And Jeanne is beside Sieg and Astolfo basically MC of the series. And they do it like that?

People who read Fate/Apocrypha manga Chapter 3 ( entire Chapter dedicated to her formation of the contacts btw ) will know what I am talking about.

Jul 2, 2017 9:10 AM

Aug 2014
Hmm that Mordred intro change...
Well I guess it's alri

Good episode
Jul 2, 2017 10:07 AM
Jul 2015
I decided against watching the episode in RAW, despite the temptation.
For those who did watch it, does it look like it will have a PG-13 rating? or a +17 one?
Jul 2, 2017 10:45 AM

Sep 2016
better than I expected, 7 vs 7 war, cool animation, cool designed characters and familiar top notch seiyuu
whats with the backstory setting? there is kotomine-like shirou and his servant has pretty familiar seiyuu
and fuyuki war is 60 years ago??? is it distant sequel or alternate universe where that immortal guy won the fuyuki city grail war?
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 2, 2017 10:46 AM

Aug 2014
Gyappu said:
I decided against watching the episode in RAW, despite the temptation.
For those who did watch it, does it look like it will have a PG-13 rating? or a +17 one?

probably 17 hurrdurr character count
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» A Guide to Fate/Apocrypha

OneBetta - Mar 14

2 by OneBetta »»
Mar 14, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

97 by TheBiggestAm »»
Mar 9, 7:31 PM

» Who is your favorite character from Apocrypha?

Omarumba - Feb 25

28 by Manthors »»
Mar 1, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2017

278 by PirateHasan »»
Jan 5, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

86 by PirateHasan »»
Dec 28, 2023 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.