Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 5 Discussion

WorldEnd: What Do You Do at the End of the World? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us?
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 9, 2017 3:30 PM

Apr 2009
Fai said:
Rydako said:
Well that was the worst episode so far. They stripped the content so much it doesn't even resemble the original Novel, they don't even try to make the scenes flow.

They literally have not skipped ANYTHING important at all

If anything t his episode ADDED ON to the novel stuff.

They stripped the essence of every scene, turning them into something they weren't. Making each scene be interpreted differently compared to the novel.

Feels like they suck the impact out of every scene. While the scenes are there and not skipped, they're changed. The characters act differently compared to the novel for example.

What bothers me the most though, is they're not even trying to adapt this. The scenes don't flow, and feel unnatural. This isn't an anime adaption, this is a collection of loosely related scenes stitched together into a 24min episode. They're not even trying.
RydakoMay 9, 2017 3:44 PM
May 9, 2017 3:33 PM

May 2015
CaptainJumBo said:
Kittens-kun said:

Poorly written? Fucking how?

lmao if u gave an 8 to re;zero then that's self-explanatory already.
It's a garbage written script.

10/10 explanation there bud.

May 9, 2017 3:34 PM

Apr 2016
I wonder if Chtholly got cursed or something and what was the deal with this new beast. It doesn't look good but at least she saw her prince, who almost had to take responsibility for touching the stomach of the new tsundere of the show. What a strange world!

Tiat is really funny : "Willem is like a bad guy!" "funny how he speaks" and of course "I am not a kid anymore", ... like all the kids. This show is really on point at showing how cute children can be.

One more week to wait!
May 9, 2017 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
Kittens-kun said:
CaptainJumBo said:

lmao if u gave an 8 to re;zero then that's self-explanatory already.
It's a garbage written script.

ayyyy
May 9, 2017 3:36 PM

May 2015
CaptainJumBo said:
Kittens-kun said:

ayyyy

Still doesn't explain how this is poorly written.

May 9, 2017 3:38 PM
Jul 2018
Kittens-kun said:
CaptainJumBo said:

ayyyy

it's pretty much the same concept imo to be honest they're TriHarding too much to be Re;Zero with some added lolis and harem, except here the mc is op af. It's poorly written because things get out of proportion every 5 minutes randomly, ain't gonna argue anymore random scenes that would be better a couple of episodes are becoming real too early. But hey that's my opinion so don't take it for granted.
May 9, 2017 3:42 PM

Mar 2016
Rydako said:
Well that was the worst episode so far. They stripped the content so much it doesn't even resemble the original Novel, they don't even try to make the scenes flow.

This honestly feels like all they're doing is animating skeleton scenes from the novels into shorts, and then attaching them together. This is not what an anime adaptation should be like, what the fuck is even going on. Fucking useless Director.

/Rant

Lol what the hell? Did we read the same novel ? All they did was make willem staying behind and kutori being upset less dramatic. Do you honestly expect a 1:1 adaptation from one medium to another ? The script and series composition is being handled by kareno akira, the writer. Slight changes will be made and are inevitable when going from one medium to another especially LNs. If this is terrible anime adaptation , then what do you call tokyo ghoul adaptation lol strip essence of scenes ? Last i recall the same message has been conveyed in both anime and novel with willem wanting to fight . How is that changed and stripped for example ?
May 9, 2017 3:44 PM

May 2015
CaptainJumBo said:
Kittens-kun said:

it's pretty much the same concept imo to be honest they're TriHarding too much to be Re;Zero with some added lolis and harem, except here the mc is op af. It's poorly written because things get out of proportion every 5 minutes randomly, ain't gonna argue anymore random scenes that would be better a couple of episodes are becoming real too early. But hey that's my opinion so don't take it for granted.

It's nothing like Re:Zero. There's no harem and how is Willem OP? Every criticism you have for this show really doesn't make any sense.

May 9, 2017 3:46 PM

Apr 2009
DragonSlayer_19 said:

If this is terrible anime adaptation , then what do you call tokyo ghoul adaptation lol

Absolute horse shit, that's what I'd call the Tokyo Ghoul adaption. That adaption was so terrible lol.

DragonSlayer_19 said:

All they did was make willem staying behind and kutori being upset less dramatic.

I really think you should re read the novel... There were a lot more changes than that. Even so, the emotions and actions of the characters make the scenes. If you take them out, the characters just feel hollow and bland, and the scenes just feel awkward and strange. That is what they're doing. No character in this adaption has any personality, it's all been stripped out.

I don't expect a 1:1 adaption, but I expect quality, and not half assed crap like this.
RydakoMay 9, 2017 3:54 PM
May 9, 2017 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
Kittens-kun said:
CaptainJumBo said:

It's nothing like Re:Zero. There's no harem and how is Willem OP? Every criticism you have for this show really doesn't make any sense.

kek m8 u blind then. ur mind thinks everything is a fact. nope. some stuff r opinionated and might not make sense to people like u.
May 9, 2017 3:54 PM

May 2015
CaptainJumBo said:
Kittens-kun said:

kek m8 u blind then. ur mind thinks everything is a fact. nope. some stuff r opinionated and might not make sense to people like u.

If it all comes down to opinion, then why am I "blind" if my opinion is different than yours? Try not to contradict yourself next time.

May 9, 2017 3:55 PM

Jun 2011
CaptainJumBo said:
Kittens-kun said:

The fact that you can't even type like an intelligent human being let alone posting a Gigguk video invalidates your opinion.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
May 9, 2017 3:59 PM

Nov 2016
This show is wonderful. The episodes feel too short.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 9, 2017 4:00 PM

Apr 2009
@Ahegyao

I have to ask - what's the meaning behind your signature? Trying to make people rage? Hahaha
May 9, 2017 4:01 PM

Jun 2011
Rydako said:
@Ahegyao

I have to ask - what's the meaning behind your signature? Trying to make people rage? Hahaha

A little bit of everything. Their fault if they get mad.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
May 9, 2017 4:04 PM
Nov 2016
Nothing important was really done here. Felt underwhelming, but in no way boring.
I don't care about the town, and doubt it will matter in the long run.
Blue-haired girl's schizoprhenia came outta nowhere, but will no doubt play a bigger role.
MC has a past with some guy mentioned near the end, and from the looks of it, shit's gonna get REAL.
Some furries are out to kill human-looking creatures.
Aside from Natsume's Book of Friends, this is the best anime airing this season.
May 9, 2017 4:09 PM
Nov 2016
[quote=Fai message=50667444]Dog Girl is the Best Girl of the show confirmed. Top level design and personality. Literally stole the episode, holy shit.

This episode is a bit tainted by the whole "you must be peaceful no matter" what nonsense which especially is coming at the wrong time in our world when people are shamed for standing up for their rights and demonized for fighting for their rights. It would have worked in the past but now Willem's speech at the start about how "being right does not mean you can resort to violence" feels a bit problematic. Sometimes peaceful speeches and stuff does nothing. I know it is rooted in japanese culture and all, but it is alright to punch a nazi in the face because they won't give you time to talk when the time comes and they come for you just because you are different. Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice. Willem's logic is understandable in many ways of life but not when a matter of one's rights and equality is at question.

I guess I can write that off as Willem being overtly sensitive to the topic, what's with his whole race being dead due to and all. Not to mention he clearly was making up excuses to not deal with the fact that he can't do anything and is frustrated by it, hence why him being allowed to DO something was so glorious and cathartic in regards of his experiences in previous episode. Its a natural continuation of what the viewer and Willem experienced there and I am liking the more aggressive choices Willem is allowed to make in adaptation because he REALLY needed that.

Likewise this episode also helped to expand the lore of the town even more, showing it's customs, traditions and political problems giving us even a bigger window into the world.

Glad I'm not the only one bothered by that. The topic of morality is FAR more flexible, confusing, and most of all, subjective, especially when dealing with violence. Sometimes, it literally is impossible to deal with violence with talking. That's reality, and it always bugs me how much anime tries to deny this.
May 9, 2017 4:10 PM
Nov 2016
Rydako said:
DragonSlayer_19 said:

If this is terrible anime adaptation , then what do you call tokyo ghoul adaptation lol

Absolute horse shit, that's what I'd call the Tokyo Ghoul adaption. That adaption was so terrible lol.

DragonSlayer_19 said:

All they did was make willem staying behind and kutori being upset less dramatic.

I really think you should re read the novel... There were a lot more changes than that. Even so, the emotions and actions of the characters make the scenes. If you take them out, the characters just feel hollow and bland, and the scenes just feel awkward and strange. That is what they're doing. No character in this adaption has any personality, it's all been stripped out.

I don't expect a 1:1 adaption, but I expect quality, and not half assed crap like this.

I am very curious then. How was an exact scene from the light novel executed differently vs the anime? What you say especially fascinates me when novels don't really have the ability to convey emotions through sound and animation like an anime.
May 9, 2017 4:20 PM
Apr 2012
CaptainJumBo said:
Kittens-kun said:

???

1. Trying to be/Same concept as Re:Zero? What?
2. Main Char OP? Are you high? He can't even fight...
3. The animation seems to be in proportion to me...
4. "random scenes that would be better a couple of episodes are becoming real too early" What the fuck does this mean?

um...

ok...your opinion duly noted.
May 9, 2017 4:36 PM
Mar 2017
I told myself from the start of the first episode that this shit was gonna be sad and pick at my heart and soul slowly, but it's so good.

Does anyone know the VA for Phyr? I know that I know that voice but I just can't put a name to it.
May 9, 2017 4:38 PM

Apr 2009
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

I am very curious then. How was an exact scene from the light novel executed differently vs the anime? What you say especially fascinates me when novels don't really have the ability to convey emotions through sound and animation like an anime.

There's a very big difference between the potential for more depth, and actually using the extra dimension of an anime to give more depth. Sure an anime has more methods to convey information, but if you cut out the information instead of conveying it in a different form - then that is just loss of information and depth.
That's what I'm talking about. If you cut out the emotion and the way characters act/react, instead of conveying it in a different form then you're not creating a good adaption. That's what I mean when I say this is a bad adaption. Adaption of written to visual is like an art form, you have to translate the content in a way that works for the different media.

Anime do this in one of two ways (Or both)
1. Internal monologues or narrators used to describe how the characters are feeling, and translate the depth written form can have

2. Using the extra dimension you get to convey the information in a different form - music, facial expressions, scene transitions, camera angles or techniques, scene art etc.

This anime does neither, and just strips the extra information out, and animates the scenes.

They're not translating the content into visual form, they're just cutting down the information, and animating loosely connected scenes.

Hope this explains my point a bit more clearly.

On a good note - I do like how they handled the memory flashbacks for Chtholly - that's a perfect example of translating the written content into visual form. (But not how they handled her getting them, they cut out all the information around that! Lol)
RydakoMay 9, 2017 4:57 PM
May 9, 2017 5:00 PM
Nov 2016
Rydako said:
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

There's a very big difference between the potential for more depth, and actually using the extra dimension of an anime to give more depth. Sure an anime has more methods to convey information, but if you cut out the information instead of conveying it in a different form - then that is just loss of information and depth.
That's what I'm talking about. If you cut out the emotion and the way characters act/react, instead of conveying it in a different form then you're not creating a good adaption. That's what I mean when I say this is a bad adaption. Adaption of written to visual is like an art form, you have to translate the content in a way that works for the different media.

Anime do this in one of two ways (Or both)
1. Internal monologues or narrators used to describe how the characters are feeling, and translate the depth written form can have

2. Using the extra dimension you get to convey the information in a different form - music, facial expressions, scene transitions, camera angles or techniques, scene art etc.

This anime does neither, and just strips the extra information out, and animates the scenes.

They're not translating the content into visual form, they're just cutting down the information, and animating loosely connected scenes.

Hope this explains my point a bit more clearly.

On a good note - I do like how they handled the memory flashbacks for Chtholly - that's a perfect example of translating the written content into visual form. (But not how they handled her getting them, they cut out all the information around that! Lol)

I perfectly understand that. What I was asking for was a specific scene the anime adapted: how it compared to the light novel. Say, the scene where MC has to leave at the end of the ep--how did it play out in the anime vs the novel?
May 9, 2017 5:07 PM

Aug 2008
CplDarkeye said:
I told myself from the start of the first episode that this shit was gonna be sad and pick at my heart and soul slowly, but it's so good.

Does anyone know the VA for Phyr? I know that I know that voice but I just can't put a name to it.

Phyr's VA is Inoue Kikuko's daughter Honoka !!! She's still a rookie it seems, but she did a great job in this episode, wouldn't mind hearing her again.

Another VA who did a great job is the creepy child's VA XD
Gosh, so creepy! If they used such a voice and creepy ramblings in a horror anime it would be a sure win!
AtomicNunMay 9, 2017 5:10 PM
May 9, 2017 5:09 PM

May 2016
CaptainJumBo said:
Kittens-kun said:

You are embarrassing yourself at this point, especially when you take Gigguk's video seriously.
May 9, 2017 6:32 PM

Oct 2015
-Abyss_Walker- said:
CaptainJumBo said:

You are embarrassing yourself at this point, especially when you take Gigguk's video seriously.
yeah he instantly lost the argument after that
May 9, 2017 6:39 PM

Oct 2014
EGOIST said:
-Abyss_Walker- said:

yeah he instantly lost the argument after that

He doesn't even realize that Gigguk is joking when he does his "series in insert number of minutes" videos.
May 9, 2017 6:57 PM

Dec 2016
These visions that Chtholly keeps having is making me worried.

That was pretty clever of Willem using them as bait to get the job done.

Pretty impressive how he beat them all using coins like that.

Chtholly confessed her love, hooray, hopefully we see more romance between in the the upcoming episodes.

That ending though, what the hell just happened and who is this Souwong Kandel.
May 9, 2017 7:48 PM

Jan 2013
Yes yes yes!!! Chtholly said it xD
I don't get why Willem had to stay and not go with them.. i hope he keeps his promise!
Loving this anime but the feels :/
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 9, 2017 7:54 PM

Feb 2017
I'm starting to get the hang of this. They sell you a first half with a little comedy, everyone is happy, and you get happy for the character's happiness. Then, the atmosphere slowly turns into a more serious one and everything is a little confusing. Finally, they stab you with a dramatic turn. But it is too late now, you're already invested in these characters.

Chtholly's confession sure was nice, tho.
May 9, 2017 7:58 PM
Apr 2017
I say this anime the best anime romance in 2017 years

How you think gaeys this anime ? And thanks for respond

Mod edit: Combined double post
ArdanazMay 12, 2017 2:31 PM
May 9, 2017 8:04 PM
Apr 2017
I think so, plot romance this anime is very good

Ato character good, and how many episode this anime ??

Mod edit: Combined double post
ArdanazMay 12, 2017 2:31 PM
May 9, 2017 8:57 PM
Mar 2017
Wow epic plot romance, i liked this anime and how many episodes this anime ? Thanks your answer gaeys
May 9, 2017 9:02 PM

Jan 2013
Those hallucinations were well done, quite the unique child's voice.
Interesting love confession
May 9, 2017 9:29 PM

Jun 2013
I love a show that's got a lot going on underneath the surface.
May 9, 2017 9:45 PM

Dec 2009
I think this speaks for itself...

❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
May 9, 2017 10:47 PM

Dec 2014
Rydako said:

Guys can we at least watch the full episode before saying they cut stuff?
From the preview of ep6 we see that next week they will animate the rest of the fight and the explanations that come with it. As well as the chapter they skipped to explain who Suwong and possibly visitors are.
Rearranging =/= cutting.
The most stuff they cut in this ep were a couple of tsun pouts from Chtholly and a pointless dialogue about the well of wishes. Does it even matter?
Chtholly's actions made more sense in the anime. She fought to get back to him.
The dialogue at the end was changed for the better too. Willem acted like a dick to her there, it was way more romantic and natural in the anime.
The fight in the city made sense too, he did want to have a fight in the novel too, as pointed out by Chtholly. In the novel he talked his way out but imo it was better to see these pricks getting beaten up and get arrested, than let them escape even if harmless.

Lastly I hope you know that the author is working on the anime too. Blaming the director won't bring you anywhere. If the author chose to rearrange scenes and dialogues to deal with the awful time constraint.
We have the novel to enjoy all nuances about this awesome story. We all knew that compromises were to be made for the anime. Still we got splendid animation, music and voices. It's not perfect, but when looking at other adaptions this is an example of a good one.
AnathorMay 9, 2017 10:52 PM
May 9, 2017 10:51 PM

Dec 2015
A nice episode, I wonder what that name they mentioned at the end was.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 9, 2017 11:21 PM

Feb 2012
Willem is a spirit detective??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 9, 2017 11:35 PM

Aug 2015
Well executed episode, Chtholly's subtle confession (I wonder if Willem hear that) I giggled a bit on that part. The Chtholly and Willem scene felt bittersweet.

I guess they like to end the episode with a slap or punch.

Ps: lmao at that Gigguk video.
SeijiroUshioMay 9, 2017 11:40 PM
May 9, 2017 11:39 PM

Dec 2014
The morality of righteousness was very tacked on and didn't flow with a story that's totally headed somewhere, right? The tone shifts left and right between SOL and serious fantasy allowing scenes that should've had more impact like Chtholly's confession fall pretty flat.

Despite all that, I'm not sure how I should view this show. If I frame it as a SOL about Willem watching over a bunch of battle lolis, then this is pretty good.
I need sleep.
May 10, 2017 3:22 AM

Jul 2014
Chtholly's visions are a lil creepy...
Dunno what awaits her and Willem now.
May 10, 2017 3:50 AM

Jan 2017
this anime is very good so far, one of my favourites of this season, along with hero academia, and sakura quest, out of the ones im watching

there's not a lot of actions, and a lot of building up, but thats okay. for some reason, i just really like Willem and im not sure why.
May 10, 2017 5:53 AM

May 2016
CaptainJumBo said:
Kittens-kun said:

ayyyy
Ay lmaoooo
This shit is so funny even though i like Re:Zero
GenesisAria said:
I think this speaks for itself...

I thought im the only one that remembered that :)

This season sure has plenty of MCs with balls and guts…
May 10, 2017 7:35 AM
Apr 2017
Anathor said:
Rydako said:

Guys can we at least watch the full episode before saying they cut stuff?
From the preview of ep6 we see that next week they will animate the rest of the fight and the explanations that come with it. As well as the chapter they skipped to explain who Suwong and possibly visitors are.
Rearranging =/= cutting.
The most stuff they cut in this ep were a couple of tsun pouts from Chtholly and a pointless dialogue about the well of wishes. Does it even matter?
Chtholly's actions made more sense in the anime. She fought to get back to him.
The dialogue at the end was changed for the better too. Willem acted like a dick to her there, it was way more romantic and natural in the anime.
The fight in the city made sense too, he did want to have a fight in the novel too, as pointed out by Chtholly. In the novel he talked his way out but imo it was better to see these pricks getting beaten up and get arrested, than let them escape even if harmless.

Lastly I hope you know that the author is working on the anime too. Blaming the director won't bring you anywhere. If the author chose to rearrange scenes and dialogues to deal with the awful time constraint.
We have the novel to enjoy all nuances about this awesome story. We all knew that compromises were to be made for the anime. Still we got splendid animation, music and voices. It's not perfect, but when looking at other adaptions this is an example of a good one.

Yea..the battle at the beginning was cut after kutori's dark vision and i remember in the novel there's more things going on in that battle, and based on preview it does show kutori generate quite amount of venenom so maybe next episode will spend some time to explain the rest of that battle..

Author is series composition but final decision will be on director, author may not have full rights of deciding final cut of episode..so both of them must reach the same understanding on how to execute the story...apparently i heard that director is quite new to anime directing so if there are some mistake i wouldn't be surprised, but i hope they doing well on this adaptation

Although they left out quite a lot of info, but they did a good job on following the source material
May 10, 2017 7:36 AM

Jul 2016
kinda creepy visions of Chtolly, I wonder what those meant.

pretty good episode, that confession scene look chillin and sweet
May 10, 2017 8:39 AM
Mar 2017
Hahaha detective william, and why re zero ??
May 10, 2017 8:42 AM

May 2016
This episode is the weakest but last scene was nice.
Tiamat is so cute !
May 10, 2017 11:44 AM

Jul 2012
So, I didn't read the novels, so I can't talk about adaptation, buuuuuuuuuuuuut, this episode felt kinda weird to me, it was just...not flowing right? Bad direction, maybe.
Kutori's visions are so CREEPY! I'M SO CURIOUS! WHAT THEY MEAN? WHO IS THE CREEPY CHILD TALKING? D:
I loved the dog girl, she was really cool. Bunny guy has an amazing hair, look at that SO FABULOUS!

Not really feeling Kutori and Williem, tho. Like, really not feeling.
But, I'm curious about the world, what is going on and what is going to happen.

May 10, 2017 1:11 PM

Jul 2015
Kinda weak episode, looks like a build up episode for calm before storm.
Hope it could get better next week 3/5 for this eps
May 10, 2017 5:42 PM

Jun 2012
Didn't get why all that drama when he decided to stay... Does she know where his going? If the bunny wasn't punched in the novel, why now in the anime, he didn't say something so terrible for that did he?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2017

460 by -ODA- »»
Apr 26, 9:48 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2017

133 by toralbabs »»
Nov 6, 2023 7:11 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2017

148 by toralbabs »»
Nov 6, 2023 6:34 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2017

144 by toralbabs »»
Nov 5, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 30, 2017

130 by toralbabs »»
Nov 3, 2023 8:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.