Forum Settings
Forums

Calling All Writers! MAL Articles Opens for the Community

New
Apr 6, 2017 12:38 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
MyAnimeList has always strived to build and grow a community-contributed and user-moderated site. As such, the Featured Articles section of the website has always had the long-term intention of being a place where the community could write articles for the community.

To achieve this, we need your help.
  • Readers: users who will give feedback (in the club) on articles they would like to see more of and potential ideas for new articles.
  • Writers: users interested in writing articles, based on their own ideas or requested content.
  • Editors: possessing good grammar skills, these users will ensure all submitted articles read well.
  • Admins: the facilitators tasked with ensuring good communication between all members, identifying which articles would do well on our Facebook/Twitter pages, and identifying which writers are skilled enough to "graduate" from the club to columnist status.

As a writer, this is your chance to have your writing featured to not only the MyAnimeList community, but our 230K Facebook and 42.2K Twitter followers. With future development, any articles you write should also be displayed on your profile (like reviews are currently).

For readers and editors/admins, this is a great opportunity to get more involved with MAL.

To join the MAL Articles project:
  1. Join the club

2. Readers: use the Topics & Ideas thread and feel free to submit suggestions.
    Writers: read the guidelines and start submitting articles.
    Editors/Admins: apply for the position.

Thank you everyone for your interest!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 6, 2017 12:57 PM

Jan 2009
nice idea MAL, maybe i can suggest some topics/ideas for articles sooner or later
Apr 6, 2017 1:34 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
I wanna be writer :o because I always wanted to have a blog on anime, and this website features it but it's better on the website himself :o
As I don't know how to join the club I don't know if I should write a submission introduction so I can join it or if the members only need to add me, but take the absence of infractions on my account as guarantee that I won't do anything unfruitful on MyAnimeList.
(he said with mutliple supressed threads and posts merged in another post and not researching forum, but please be nice :x)

Apr 6, 2017 1:37 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
@Lolsebca I meant to set the club to public before posting, but forgot. You're in the club now.
Apr 6, 2017 1:40 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Kineta said:
@Lolsebca I meant to set the club to public before posting, but forgot. You're in the club now.

I love you guys and the staff of MyAnimeList ! How many political and religious anime am I gonna publish now? I bet I'm going to crash into the guidelines about unnecessary stuff about politic, religion, ethnicity...
Lil' teaser maybe the first article I'll publish will be on "Democracy in Anime" or "Place of Mahjong in Anime".

Apr 6, 2017 2:39 PM

Oct 2014
Oh so you're telling me, I won't get to see top 10 anime redheads that'll blow your minds type articles now? Where will I blow my load now? :(
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apr 6, 2017 3:04 PM
Jun 2011
My wholesome write ups will be 一番
Apr 6, 2017 3:32 PM

Mar 2012
Nice! I look forward to reading some quality articles.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 6, 2017 6:16 PM

Feb 2016
Ironically I was reading your official response to why we can't comment on articles yesterday, and here you are with this news. The world works in mysterious ways.

I'm looking forward to this :D.
Apr 6, 2017 7:41 PM

Apr 2015
I'm a writer on an gadget apps called Anime Amino so I want to ask about something...can I copypaste my writing there on MAL Articles when I write something? I can confirm if the user who wrote the blog there is me.
Apr 6, 2017 8:02 PM

Feb 2016
When should we expect to hear back if we applied for a position?
CareBearApr 6, 2017 8:07 PM
Apr 6, 2017 8:04 PM

Mar 2015
You said:
I'm a writer on an gadget apps called Anime Amino so I want to ask about something...can I copypaste my writing there on MAL Articles when I write something? I can confirm if the user who wrote the blog there is me.

Yes, so long as you can provide proof (e.g. screenshot of your homepage while logged in) that those works were written by you.

OneNaughtyBear said:
When should we expect to hear back for a position we applied for?

For applications sent in today, you should hear back sometime this weekend - most likely within the next 48 hours.

Mod Edit: Merged double post.
KinetaApr 6, 2017 10:50 PM
Apr 6, 2017 8:07 PM

Feb 2016
Congress said:
OneNaughtyBear said:
When should we expect to hear back for a position we applied for?

For applications sent in today, you should hear back sometime this weekend - most likely within the next 48 hours.
Thanks. And will the new articles have a comment section?
Apr 6, 2017 11:14 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
@Josh If you have some free time, I wouldn't mind reading something you wrote either.

Congress said:
You said:

Yes, so long as you can provide proof (e.g. screenshot of your homepage while logged in) that those works were written by you.
@You To add to this, I think you should refrain from submitting any articles you have written elsewhere until you are columnist in your own right. Since the club will act as a "vetting" process for new writers, I think it's best to first write original content and transfer those other articles later.

I'm double-checking internally to ensure this is okay, as well. There may be some reason we haven't thought of restricting this.

OneNaughtyBear said:
And will the new articles have a comment section?
No code development has been made to the page yet, so any articles posted to the Featured page will not have a built-in comments section. If the club does well, then we'll have more reason to look at putting more dev time into the section. Until then, we'll need to pseudo make-do with threads inside the club.
Apr 7, 2017 12:23 AM

May 2016
Going to apply as an editor & maybe writer since I'm resigning as an Auditor soon, so I will finally have some time to try out these stuff & other hobbies :)

Good luck to other applicants!
Apr 7, 2017 5:26 AM

Apr 2015
Kineta said:
@Josh If you have some free time, I wouldn't mind reading something you wrote either.

Congress said:

@You To add to this, I think you should refrain from submitting any articles you have written elsewhere until you are columnist in your own right. Since the club will act as a "vetting" process for new writers, I think it's best to first write original content and transfer those other articles later.

I'm double-checking internally to ensure this is okay, as well. There may be some reason we haven't thought of restricting this.

OneNaughtyBear said:
And will the new articles have a comment section?
No code development has been made to the page yet, so any articles posted to the Featured page will not have a built-in comments section. If the club does well, then we'll have more reason to look at putting more dev time into the section. Until then, we'll need to pseudo make-do with threads inside the club.

Hmm okay noted, let's see where I can pull this. Probably will use google docs since the template for the article text is too small.
Apr 7, 2017 5:52 AM

Apr 2014
Just filled out the application within a rather short timeframe, let's see how we go! Good luck to everyone else participating!
Apr 7, 2017 8:26 AM

Jul 2016
Good job, MAL. It's too long overdue. Now you can get better quality articles and you don't even have to pay them.

Hopefully those stupid listicles (even though god knows how they seem to have the most views) is no more allowed.
Apr 7, 2017 11:09 AM

Jan 2016
Will this be something that's as relaxed as MAL Rewrite? I mean this in the sense that I've enjoyed not having any pressure on me from the Rewrite project during the times when my life gets busy, and would hope that the MAL Articles group would operate roughly the same :)
100 Push-Ups, 100 Sit-Ups, 100 Squats, and a 10K Run, EVERY SINGLE DAY!!
Apr 7, 2017 12:51 PM
Feb 2017
Do writers have to stick to a schedule or anything? For example if I'm a writer and one day I'm busy, feeling too tired/lazy to write anything, or just have no ideas for what to write, would I get in trouble, or is it relaxed enough that I can write whenever I feel like it?
Apr 7, 2017 1:21 PM

Mar 2015
Foobanana said:
Will this be something that's as relaxed as MAL Rewrite? I mean this in the sense that I've enjoyed not having any pressure on me from the Rewrite project during the times when my life gets busy, and would hope that the MAL Articles group would operate roughly the same :)

Except for admins, yes. :)

LAPX said:
Do writers have to stick to a schedule or anything? For example if I'm a writer and one day I'm busy, feeling too tired/lazy to write anything, or just have no ideas for what to write, would I get in trouble, or is it relaxed enough that I can write whenever I feel like it?

Nope. You can submit an article whenever you want. To clarify, "writer" is not a position; anyone who sends in an article is a writer.
Apr 7, 2017 3:11 PM
Apr 2014
Regarding editors, is it necessary to join the club when submitting an application, or could I just wait and see whether I get the position and join if/when I do?
Apr 7, 2017 3:21 PM

Mar 2012
Kineta said:
I will Probably (TM) submit something. I've written down scattered thoughts on anime, I just have to spend the time to turn them into coherent pieces.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 7, 2017 4:29 PM

Mar 2015
Achachan said:
Regarding editors, is it necessary to join the club when submitting an application, or could I just wait and see whether I get the position and join if/when I do?

You don't have to join to submit an app.
Apr 7, 2017 4:52 PM
Apr 2017
If we do, can we post links to our own Facebook pages or blogs at the end of our articles?
Apr 7, 2017 5:42 PM

Nov 2012
This actually seemed interesting to me at the start.

Might try it out if I come across a topic that intrigues me. For the most part, I have only been writing scientific papers, so how that will translate into another medium will be a good litmus test for me.
Apr 7, 2017 5:58 PM

Jul 2014
I've actually been debating about changing my major and possibly going for editing, so this might be the perfect opportunity for me to, not only, practice my skills, but to also see if this is something I'd be good at and actually enjoy.
I'll definitely be trying out for the editor position :)
Apr 7, 2017 6:48 PM
Apr 2017
Alright, just finished my app for the editing position (hopefully my proofreading for the press in college will pay off haha.) Good luck to everyone else who applied!
Apr 8, 2017 10:12 AM
Oct 2012
Are any of these positions paid?
Apr 8, 2017 11:34 AM

Jan 2011
I would also like to join and become a writer! It's been my long dream to write stories but at the moment I'm not very good at it. However being a writer on here and expressing my passion for anime, maybe it will help me improve my own personal writings!
Apr 8, 2017 12:25 PM
Memelord Mcgee

Jun 2014
Do any of these positions include profile badges?
"Ayyy lmao" - Lil B
Apr 8, 2017 12:47 PM

Aug 2015
Freaking finally!! Been asking this for so long.. ;_;
Apr 8, 2017 3:24 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Joshuawaddles said:
If we do, can we post links to our own Facebook pages or blogs at the end of our articles?
Your MAL profile will be clearly linked on each article and you can advertise anything you like there. Users interested in you and not only your article will likely visit there. Inside the article though, we'd need to discuss. The purpose of this effort isn't to pull users off of MAL to external blog websites, but for MAL to become a place where writers feel comfortable sharing their knowledge and opinion.

Cinefil_original said:
One question: why would writers want their work to be featured on social meadia?
As a reviewer, I believe that acknowledgment comes with being good at whatever you do, in this case writing, so if one is good at it, having their work recognized will come in no time.
Being featured is one form of recognition. The more people who read the content, the faster good work becomes acknowledged. It basically helps kick start the process. Of course it also opens up the door for more criticism as well.

Smashking said:
No. All positions on MAL (both official projects and moderating staff) are voluntary. They are suited for users who want to get involved with, and give back to, the community.

fofo808 said:
Do any of these positions include profile badges?
We haven't discussed profile badges because we're not sure how the articles/club set-up will work long-term. If the club is a stepping stone to a more streamlined process on site, then we may consider more "mod-like" positions. If the club remains in a MAL Rewrite fashion, then we'll consider badges. A lot of this depends on the amount of interest and momentum we can generate.

KinetaApr 8, 2017 4:05 PM
Apr 8, 2017 5:27 PM
Jul 2018
Hope I get a response today, I sent the application two days ago.

Best of luck to all others.
Apr 8, 2017 5:27 PM

Feb 2016
@Kineta so profile badges are only a possibility? What about this?
Congress said:
We plan to add profile badges for both positions soon!
Apr 8, 2017 5:30 PM

Mar 2015
OneNaughtyBear said:
Congress said:
We plan to add profile badges for both positions soon!

Oh, sorry. That's deprecated information that I forgot to remove.
Apr 8, 2017 5:52 PM

Feb 2016
Congress said:
OneNaughtyBear said:

Oh, sorry. That's deprecated information that I forgot to remove.
K, no problem.
Apr 9, 2017 12:07 AM

Feb 2016
Will I get a reply if I apply and DON'T make the cut?

Smashking said:

LOL how much were you expecting? ;p

Mod Edit: Merged double post.
KinetaApr 9, 2017 1:47 PM
Apr 9, 2017 2:28 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Cool! One day I'd love to write articles. o: Writing about things I actually have to go out and research seems like it'd be interesting!

I also want to write about certain fandom things. For example, writing articles on cosplay, useful convention tips, the convention scene in general, and other fandom stuff would be fun, but I don't know if those are okay topics.;;

I have to brush up on my grammar though. I just type the way I talk right now.;;

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 9, 2017 10:41 AM

Mar 2015
Euhin said:
Will I get a reply if I apply and DON'T make the cut?

Yes, we will let you know.
Apr 9, 2017 11:57 AM

Feb 2015
Are editors required to meet any quotas or are they able to work at their own pace?
ReinhardApr 9, 2017 12:03 PM
Apr 10, 2017 12:09 AM

May 2014
Was this by chance already done in the past? Supporting the writers or something
Apr 10, 2017 1:31 AM
Apr 2017
Apr 10, 2017 2:09 AM

Jul 2014
KamSung said:
Was this by chance already done in the past? Supporting the writers or something

there's been a bunch of recruitment posts for MAL Rewrite (which is a totally awesome club you should definitely apply for)
Apr 10, 2017 2:12 AM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
What this person who I definitely don't know said ^
Apr 10, 2017 4:44 AM

Dec 2016
Cheap plug for the win! (Join Rewrite)
Apr 10, 2017 5:05 AM

Jul 2009
Good luck to all the applicants! Also check the link in my sig for another cool club called MAL Rewrite!
Apr 10, 2017 5:22 AM
Aug 2015
When will we know if we've made the cut or not?
Apr 10, 2017 11:11 AM
Aug 2016
this is actually a pretty good idea. wouldn't mind being an editor
Apr 10, 2017 2:29 PM

Jul 2016
I just submitted my editor application today, when will I know if i made the cut or not?
also, I see many have already applied for the position, is it possible that they've already accepted all the people they need and probably won't bother considering my application? :ss
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

225 by Baldo_zz »»
2 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.