Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Sep 6, 2017 12:45 AM

May 2014
suzuya_mitsuko said:
Strawberrycake48 said:

In the middle of Monogatari now (after much reluctance) and I can vouch for this 100%

I think I'll hate the Harem genre even more after seeing the potential they could be fulfilling.
How many harem anime do you know that has the MC actually get with a girl at the beginning yet still somehow maintain a harem? Pretty sure there are still shipping wars.

Now all I need is the Reverse Harem equivalent and I'll be happy lmao

Dude, that's just sad.
Monogatari series is focused on mystery rather than harem. It just sub genre. Of course there won't be any harem remotely like that, if you look only on harem genre.

Yeah, and there's a reason for that.
It should just stay a subgenre.

I don't think there's even a handful of decent harem anime out there, despite all the time those sorts of series have to, I don't know, actually do something interesting with their characters. It might even make them more attractive.

But hey, TNA don't do much for me anyway since I'm a straight woman, so what do I know? I'm not even the target audience lmao
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2017 1:14 AM

Nov 2009
Dendritik said:
flannan said:

It's impressive how you manage to say "harem comedies", while ignoring the fact they are comedies.

Notice I didn't say "harem comedies", I said "harem anime". You're aware of the fact that there are tons of harem series that aren't comedies, I presume?

Of course I am aware of that. I am also aware of that your description only applies to harem comedies.
Battle harems have about as much plot, characterization, themes and so on as shounen battle anime of the same level. But with more girls and with power of love instead of (in addition to) power of friendship.
Sep 6, 2017 1:16 AM

Aug 2013
suzuya_mitsuko said:

Dude, that's just sad.
Monogatari series is focused on mystery rather than harem. It just sub genre . Of course there won't be any harem remotely like that, if you look only on harem genre.

Like, ekhm, 90% of 'harem' series? replace mystery with any other genre
And of course 'harem' is not even a genre. It's a stupid tag for elitists.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 6, 2017 1:19 AM

Aug 2017
Strawberrycake48 said:

Yeah, and there's a reason for that.
It should just stay a subgenre.

I don't think there's even a handful of decent harem anime out there, despite all the time those sorts of series have to, I don't know, actually do something interesting with their characters. It might even make them more attractive.

But hey, TNA don't do much for me anyway since I'm a straight woman, so what do I know? I'm not even the target audience lmao

Ah, I'm sorry if you mind I called you dude.

As much I want too, harem genre is fine to exist. It's a niche genre for us, but it's a mainstream genre for Japan. There are quite decent harem anime too out there.

Harem genre doesn't necessarily had bad character. It just mostly, they're like that because the viewer are easy catch (in japan.)
"I'm tired, Boss. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly at each other."
- John Coffey, Green Miles
Sep 6, 2017 1:24 AM

May 2016
flannan said:

Of course I am aware of that. I am also aware of that your description only applies to harem comedies.
Battle harems have about as much plot, characterization, themes and so on as shounen battle anime of the same level. But with more girls and with power of love instead of (in addition to) power of friendship.

If by this you mean that both battle harems and battle shounen generally have pretty much no plot, characterization or themes worth caring about, I'd certainly agree.
Synoptic93Sep 6, 2017 1:28 AM
Sep 6, 2017 1:31 AM

Nov 2009
Kuraokani said:
I enjoy the occasional haram like Food Wars, Monogatari and, well, I don't like any other harams.

That's not to say that I despise them and the people who like them, it's just that the genres not for me. I guess if they had more intresting stories and more unique characters I'd enjoy them more. I don't think that's what haram fans are looking for though.

Why change what you've got when people already enjoy it? Apparently it's popular with some people or they wouldn't make it anymore.

Oh by the way, Prison School and the Monogatari series isn't considered "haram".

No idea what shows are haram in your religion (and I don't care to know), but I can recommend you Sin: Nanatsu no Taisai. It is so unholy, it will make your priest explode.

YaDiList said:
iam not hated it just kinda disliked it when it comes to drama, if isn't too dramatic i probably like it though.
Why? a too dramatic harem anime it will be endup cliche and boring

Dramatic harem anime? You mean something like Key's works (Kanon, Air, Clannad, Rewrite)? They are just a minority among harems.
Those who are pure sugar are also somewhat rare, but I like them.

YaDiList said:
plus it will be the best if it's doesn't have-or most likely have less vulgar shots/scenes, and not beings racist nor trolling here but what could i expect. otaku especially japanese will said like this "Harem anime without pantie shot? pfttt... boring" (am really apologized brothers for my word)
so, it's rare to have harem anime without an ecchi genre tagging along with it

First, harem anime are more likely to get "ecchi" tag when they're not particularly ecchi.
Second, Nisekoi is one of the most popular harems, and it doesn't have any pantyshots (and lacks sexual fanservice in general). And it got a second season, which goes to show it was popular in Japan too.

Japanese people don't have much understanding of racism, so I can give you no guarantees you will not encounter any in any anime. Maybe Centaur's Worries will fix things. But most likely it won't.

Dendritik said:
flannan said:

If by this you mean that both battle harems and battle shounen generally have pretty much no plot, characterization or themes worth caring about, I'd certainly agree.

It's up to you what you consider worth caring about. But yes.
Sep 6, 2017 1:37 AM

Aug 2017
rsc-pl said:

Read my post earlier.

IMHO, Harem is a genre. Genre is a convenience to differ. You can tell a harem show and a show with harem.

Harem show :
- Hachi Ichi
- Infinite Stratos
- Hundred
- Masou Gakuen HxH

Show with Harem genre:
- Monogatari
- Yahari Oregairu
- Classroom of Elite

etc.
Sep 6, 2017 1:41 AM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Hmmm....anime is a matter of preference, they say, so obviously, there should be a division of preferences, hate it or not. As for me, I love it. They must hate because of reasons, like, they don't want the main character cheating off the female heroine, or maybe just utterly disgusted by it. WHY?! THEY ARE SO GOOD, YET THEY HATE THEM?! ARRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!
Sep 6, 2017 2:20 AM

May 2014
Harem is the genre I hate the most. I don't even mind watching or reading Yaoi TBH.

Harems have the densest MCs, no proper conclusion, if there is a conclusion your favorite girl never wins, the most cliched story and characters (childhood friends ewwwww) and basically no plot.

Although there were a few Harems that had something different to offer like Hagani (weird characters), School Days (the ending), DxD, Hayate to name a few.

And the worst of the worst are reverse Harems. Don't even wanna get started on those crap.

The only harem that stood out me was The World God Only Knows (the manga). Katsuragi was a complete different character imo, although my favorite girl didn't win, it had an ending that took me by surprise (the girl he chose) and great comedy.

The best would be Key's works (Clannad, Kanon) if they are considered as harems.
BakaSenpaiiSep 6, 2017 2:23 AM
Sep 6, 2017 2:25 AM

Jul 2015
@BakaSenpaii
same for me
twgok is the only harem who stand out even that it have a garbage ending
i wanted an elsie or tenri ending :/

but a harem where the best girl wins don't exist and maybe will never
this is why harems work better in visual novels
Sep 6, 2017 2:29 AM

May 2014
tragedydesu said:
@BakaSenpaii
i wanted an elsie or tenri ending :/

Sep 6, 2017 2:36 AM

Nov 2009
MangoAllergy said:
I think it's just because most harem media are poorly executed. I don't think any studio that has made any great releases has tackled the harem genre, nothing I can remember from the top of my head anyway.

There might be some hidden gems but they're easily drowned out by the terrible ones. Fanservice is a pretty easy way yo make money.

Well, I have no idea what you mean by "great releases", and so I just looked at your favorites.
J.C. Staff, which made Shimoneta, has made their share of harems, like Zero no Tsukaima, Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko, Arcana Famiglia and Hidan no Aria (why isn't it marked "harem"?).

Kyoto Animation, which made Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Chuu2koi and Clannad, doesn't have any anime marked "harem" on MAL. Which is weird, because I'm pretty sure Clannad is supposed to be a harem. And SHnY should be marked as such too. And Musaigen Phantom World. Well, I guess when Kyoto Animation tries to make a harem, it ends up not haremy enough to get a tag on MAL.

Madhouse, who made Overlord, did ChäoS;HEAd and Ichigo 100%. And a bunch of other anime not marked as harems like Overlord or Mahouka or Oda Nobuna no Yabou. And I got tired at the second page of their shows, and they seem to have 2 more.

White Fox, who made Steins;Gate (which some people describe as harem), made Utawarerumono: Itsuwaki no Kamen and Tears to Tiara (which aren't marked as harems either).

A-1 Pictures, who made Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, made a lot of popular stuff like SAO, Gate and Oreimo (which aren't marked as harems), and stuff that is actually marked as harems, such as Asterisk, Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata, Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru.

Overall, MAL seems to have some problems with properly marking harems.

suzuya_mitsuko said:
rsc-pl said:

Read my post earlier.

IMHO, Harem is a genre. Genre is a convenience to differ. You can tell a harem show and a show with harem.

Harem show :
- Hachi Ichi
- Infinite Stratos
- Hundred
- Masou Gakuen HxH

Show with Harem genre:
- Monogatari
- Yahari Oregairu
- Classroom of Elite

etc.

In other words, you arbitrarily assign this division depending on whether you like a show or not.
Note how Infinite Stratos and Hundred are action shows with harem components.
Sep 6, 2017 2:43 AM
Sep 2016
Yo lo odio principalmente por el típico protagonista princeso y genérico
Y en algunos hay romances sin sentido,se enamoran del protagonista pues porque sí,así sin más y por eso.
Sep 6, 2017 3:08 AM

Aug 2017
flannan said:

In other words, you arbitrarily assign this division depending on whether you like a show or not.
Note how Infinite Stratos and Hundred are action shows with harem components.

You probably see my list. But no. XD

I will explain if you don't mind reading it :

Sep 6, 2017 5:45 AM

Jun 2016
@flannan

What about the main character, they always have a lack of confident and very Normal
And then guess what, the most beautiful girl pops and tell him "I always loved you"
That's why I hate harem
Sep 6, 2017 5:49 AM

Jul 2015
AhmadJR said:
@flannan

What about the main character, they always have a lack of confident and very Normal
And then guess what, the most beautiful girl pops and tell him "I always loved you"
That's why I hate harem

lmao , he dont even chose her in the end
Sep 6, 2017 6:06 AM

Jan 2010
- They don't gave us reasons to why all girls fall for the MC other than because he is the protagonist in a harem anime and so all the girls are figthing to get into his pants.

- Dense and one-dimensional characters. Rely too much on character archtype

- I find most of the comedy unfunny

There are exception to this like Monogatari series I guess (I'm not a fan of it simply because harem is just not my kind of anime after all but at least I know it's a good harem anime)
Sep 6, 2017 6:09 AM

Aug 2009
At some point, my dislike for harems became less about the shows themselves, and more about how people kept bothering me about them. So, I already didn't care for them, but the fanboys just make it worse.

Sep 6, 2017 6:32 AM

Nov 2009
AhmadJR said:
@flannan

That's why I hate harem

This is an unfair generalization.
1) While there is indeed a lot of protagonists who claim to be normal (outside of harems too), many are quick to prove themselves more than that.
Whether they're surviving supernatural battles with just their wits and plot armor, reveal extraordinary powers or just have a personality that makes the world around them a better place.

2) Stories heavy on wish fulfillment often feature confident and mighty protagonists who get all the girls. These stories are harems too.
Dark Shneider, the titular character of anime Bastard, gets a special mention for his plans to take all the girls in the world for himself.

3) And there are many cases in-between. Protagonists who are actually good-looking (whether cute like Negi Springfield or tall bishounen like Kyon), cool and popular guys who aren't exactly a wish-fulfillment fantasy, protagonists with obvious personality flaws - all kinds of protagonists.
Sep 6, 2017 8:52 AM

Aug 2008
Shicchi said:
- They don't gave us reasons to why all girls fall for the MC other than because he is the protagonist in a harem anime and so all the girls are figthing to get into his pants.

This. According to an interview with Hideaki Anno, most anime makers are autistic. Perhaps, that is why we see all the girls like the MC for no reason even though he's just average(or below average) just because he's the MC or the MC show a bit of kindness then the girls just fall for him.

Here's the interview with Anno. The part I quoted is on the lower right of the article.

But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 6, 2017 11:57 AM

Jul 2014
Harem anime are often riddled with annoying cliche's. "Beta" MC, tsundere loli, just to name the things I hate the most. They also pander to the lonely people who self-insert into the MC's place, which can be boring and very unappealing to a lot of people, me included. Most of the time, they're all basically the same. The harem anime where the MC doesn't choose a girl by the end is so frustrating too.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Nov 3, 2017 7:49 AM
Jul 2015
Harbur said:
I've noticed that there is a very strong hate for it, and I don't really know why. For Example, I saw someone say, "Shokugeki No Souma is a Harem and is terrible." I just want to see for myself on this site, whether the hate is real or it's more or less than what I thought.

Note: I watch harem myself and as long as the anime is good I don't get why it should be scolded for being a Harem anime.

I hate most Harem Anime due to the simple fact that all of the female cast that appears in such shows all have their attention focused on the single male MC, and other males are mostly non-existent and sidelined just to make MC the only one male that gets all the goods.

There are more reasons that I can think of, which are the same as what these guys too have been saying >> http://hayabusa.open2ch.net/test/read.cgi/livejupiter/1473067798/

Quote : äø»äŗŗå…¬ä»„å¤–ć®ē”·ć‚­ćƒ£ćƒ©ćÆēš†ę‚Ŗę„ć‚„č£ć®é””ćŒć‚ć‚‹

Translation : Other than the MC, all of the male characters have bad intent and a devious ulterior face.

My Comment : In other words, all males in such show other than the MC are mostly antagonized and sidelined just to make the MC look good.

Then, please read this : http://2gigenchan.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3940.html

22 ļ¼šä»„äø‹ć€ļ¼¼(^o^)ļ¼ć§VIPćŒćŠé€ć‚Šć—ć¾ć™ļ¼š2014/05/15(ęœØ) 19:03:00.47 ID:KdwXAStd0.net
é­…åŠ›ć®ćŖ恄äø»äŗŗå…¬ćŒćƒ¢ćƒ†ć¦ć‚‹ć®č¦‹ć¦ć‚‚ę„½ć—ććŖ恄恠恑

Translation : It's just not fun watching an unappealing MC becoming popular with the girls.

33 ļ¼šä»„äø‹ć€ļ¼¼(^o^)ļ¼ć§VIPćŒćŠé€ć‚Šć—ć¾ć™ļ¼š2014/05/15(ęœØ) 19:13:58.14 ID:IY39JKy50.net
č‡Ŗåˆ†ć®å„½ććŖć‚­ćƒ£ćƒ©(äø»äŗŗ公)ćŒć‚‚ć¦ć‚‹←ć‚„ć£ć±ć‚Šäø»äŗŗå…¬ć‹ć£ć“ć„ć„ćŖ
č‡Ŗåˆ†ćŒå„½ę„Ÿć‚’ć‚‚ć¦ćŖć„ć‚­ćƒ£ćƒ©ćŒć‚‚ć¦ć‚‹←ꭻ恭

꜀čæ‘å„½ę„Ÿć‚’ć‚‚ć¦ćŖ恄謎ćŖćƒćƒ¼ćƒ¬ćƒ äø»äŗŗå…¬å¤šć™ćŽ
å¼·ć‘ć‚Œć°ć„ć„ć£ć¦ć‚‚ć‚“ć˜ć‚ƒćŖ恄悓恠悈ćŖ

Translation : A character that one likes ( The MC ) becomes popular with girls <<< As expected, the MC is so cool ! A character that we don't find appealing becomes popular <<< Die !

Lately, there has been too much weird Harem MCs who are not appealing ( in personality ). Just being strong or OP is not enough for us to find the MC likeable ( especially if he has a bland and boring personality )

My Comment : I agree with that Poster. Case in point is Ayanokouji Kiyotaka from Classroom of Elite. The MC might be OP, but as a character he's just too bland and boring. An other example would be Tatsuya from Irregular Magic anime. Both of them are robotic self-insert MCs whom I can't find to like.

Most of the other comments spouted hate and jealousy for the MC that monopolizes all the female cast in Harem Anime.

That's why we need a new boom of Double Male Lead Harem Animes, where there will be 2 males in the main cast that both each gets their own harem of girls, to make us feel less jealous of one harem leader. Since each harem leader would have different personalities, if we find that we don't seem to like the one MC, we can always root for the 2nd MC and his harem, which could be more funnier and interesting to watch than the 1st MC's harem group.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Nov 3, 2017 8:50 AM

Aug 2014
There are only 3 harems that i have liked.

Shuffle (actually pick a girl)

zero no tsukaima (nostaliga??)

Oreshura (don´t even know why)
Nov 3, 2017 8:54 AM

Sep 2017
tragedydesu said:
Because the best girl never win

Every harem with a tsundere ending must be burned in hell

Childhood friend never wins
onee sama never wins
incompetent beta cuck mc
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 3, 2017 8:54 AM

Jan 2014
Love rivals are hatefull, harem makes it worse
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Nov 3, 2017 5:24 PM

Apr 2017
Harems usually have a bland, generic, self-insert MC. The girls are drawn well, but there isn't much actual story or character development. There is, however, a lot of plot

I though Fruit of Grisaia was interesting because the MC was a badass with really deep backstory. And the other girls had interesting backstories as well; Ouran HS club had good characters as well.

And yeah, people expect their girl to win, but she usually doesn't because the odds are against her or you get an open ending where no one does.
iSpadeNov 3, 2017 6:44 PM
Nov 3, 2017 7:28 PM

Feb 2016
Is D-Frag a harem ? If it then it would be my favorite of its genre alongside Monogatari.

Harem like everyone said is very cliche, generic most of the time that exist to show 'plot' but i don't mind it as much as other people.
Because we're stupid that we love to have fun
Dec 9, 2017 5:29 AM
Jul 2015
SAO Author mentioned about this Harem stuff >>> https://anime-lab.net/1414

That's why we need more Light Novels and Anime where there would be Multiple Couples with some of the female cast liking another male character that's not the 1st Male Lead or MC, like in Dragon Ball Z, Yuyu Hakusho ( Yuusuke-Keiko and Kuwabara-Ice Demon Yukina ), Gamers!, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, KimiKiss, Ef a tale of memories and melodies, ect, etc............

Who needs Harems when we can have Multiple Couples instead ?
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Jan 13, 2018 4:36 PM
Jan 2018
I hate harem because is disrespectful for us women.
Jan 13, 2018 7:12 PM

Jan 2018
Most of them have debatable plots and retarded characters. If even the humor is meh then there is no reason to watch them for me.
Jan 13, 2018 9:15 PM

Feb 2017
i love harem series,but i can guess why other people may dislike the.

-huge majority of harems are generic at a tragic level.
-you either love their endings or hate it.
-most of the mc in harems are grass eating pussy.

but there are exceptions too.

Jan 13, 2018 9:24 PM

Aug 2015
I kind of dislike harem, but doesn't really mind it if the plot still progressing...

But, in the end I still not fond of it because best girl rarely wins...

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jan 13, 2018 9:31 PM
Jan 2018
For me it depends on the series. The only thing I don't like about them is that the MC so sometimes or always dence as hell and doesn't know a girls feelings which makes them mad then there's the whole MC didn't do anything wrong and the girls are angry at him for nothing. To love ru never ends with a harem I think it's still open ended
Jan 13, 2018 9:35 PM

Mar 2016
There's only one harem anime that I've enjoyed, and that was Shoujo Sect.

All other harems I've seen have had super cliched characters and unrealistic romances. I don't hate harems for being harems, I hate them because for some reason every single one I've seen besides Shoujo Sect has just been awful.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Jan 13, 2018 9:51 PM
Jul 2018
1) the best girl never wins
2) almost all harem anime has a pretty cliche plot
3) a lot of times mc is either cliche or just poorly written (it’s porn, so the ones that watch won’t care, right?)
4) it’s far away from being realistic. Because a group of girls would never fall in love with one guy at the same time (not with a guy like mc in harem anyway)
5) because it’s literally all the same, and even girls are usually just the same characters with different faces and names.
Jan 31, 2019 5:57 AM
May 2017
I absolutely love harems. All the best ingredients of my perfect kind of anime are mostly included in harems, funny characters, comedy, romance, and a bit of cliche and drama make them more enjoyable to watch than normal romcoms.
Jan 31, 2019 6:05 AM

Jan 2015
because its a trash self insert genre, just like isekai

also monogatari is bad as well, overrated
BestBoiErenJan 31, 2019 6:10 AM
Jan 31, 2019 6:13 AM

Jun 2017
It's not like we hate harem anime. What we really hate are DUMB mc, a terrible plot and lastly childhood friend never wins šŸ˜¢
"You can't tell how brightly you sparkle on your own. You don't have to reach your goal to sparkle. The way you deal with all your inner concerns and inner conflicts... The process itself, as you can see, is just as beautiful."
- Ayato Matsumae (Hanasaku Iroha - Home Sweet Home)
Jan 31, 2019 6:17 AM
May 2016
some people just don't enjoy junk food, they're way too uptight and only want to eat high quality stuff
Jan 31, 2019 6:22 AM
Nov 2018
Also the Osananajimi (childhood friend lol) never wins

That's a fact~![/quote]
danilitoleon said:
tragedydesu said:
Because the best girl never win

Every harem with a tsundere ending must be burned in hell

Also the Osananajimi (childhood friend lol) never wins

That's a fact~!

Ig you haven’t seen shuffle
Jan 31, 2019 6:26 AM
Jan 2019
15e said:
I hate harem because is disrespectful for us women.

yet you stay silent when there’s objectification of men in sexist genres shoujo,josei, Yaoi, reverse harem, shounen ai,
Jul 11, 2019 6:18 PM
Dec 2016
i hate harem animes because people offten label them as romance!!!!

when i wanna see a romance anime i want a real love story not a story where the male character is a pervert and plays with the feellings of 3-5 girls or where the female characters doesnt respect themselves and literaly let the male character do what he wants with their feellings.

and in the case of reverse harem its the same, characters doesnt respect themselves and the girl its often shown as an inocent person but like, your a whore!! you kiss and deliverly flirt with diferent guys that are fiends with eachother (most of the time)

so yeah i wouldnt hate harem animes that much if people would stop calling them romance animes beacuse THATS NOT ROMANCE! and if i have to label them as romance i would say its an abusive or toxic romance
Jul 11, 2019 6:33 PM

May 2009
I don't really mind this plot premise.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 12, 2019 1:22 PM

Aug 2009
Almost two years later: I'm still apprehensive about harems and I still have animosity towards harem fans. But trying to watch DxD is inspiring me to watch the shorter things on my plan-to-watch list, so, there's that if anything.

Jul 14, 2019 12:36 PM

Jul 2015
Well, if you take a series like Gabriel Drop Out, put in a male character that all the girls fall in love with, then it becomes a harem anime. If you remove Keitaro form Love, Hina, then that series becomes more like Gabriel Drop Out. Basically, it's an offshoot of a Teen Girls Bonding/Friendship type of anime, or a teen friends anime or cartoon, (like Archie). The girls, or sometimes guys, may be rivals, but they form strong bonds of friendship or loyalty to each other in the end, in most series.
If you want to differentiate anime from cartoons, then the fine artwork and sex appeal may differentiate an anime series form a plain cartoon like an old Hanna-Barbera cartoon series. Harem anime is just part of the anime/otaku culture and should be celebrated as such, as just part of the fun.
If anybody takes anime too seriously, they should just stop watching anime and watch shit like The Bachelor instead.
Jul 14, 2019 7:43 PM
Mar 2016
The MC is almost always dense
They make the girls too good or they make them flat/generic
They fall in love with the main dude wayyy too easily
The screentime is split and we don't see much scenes of the main couple
^ probably the biggest reason for me
Jul 14, 2019 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
Not sure why this is. I'm reading through To Love-Ru at the moment, and like what I'm reading. Wouldn't go as far as to say I love what I'm reading, but I definitely like it. I think as long as the series has a fun and entertaining story with lots of fun characters, it shouldn't be so hated upon. I mean, unless a person has seen a bazillion Harem anime and is just sick of reading about the same stuff all the time. Redundancy and over use of repetitions in anime can be one of its greatest downfalls.
Jul 16, 2019 12:48 AM
Dec 2017
I don't hate harem anime; I just don't really watch them. I can understand some of hate it gets though. I mean, just think about it.

-Some people might find it annoying that a boring MC has so many girls around them.

-They might want a certain character to be with the MC but the MC chooses someone else.

-Cliches (This is also a reason for the hating of other genres like shounen and isekai.)

In all honesty though, I don't mind harems. In Shield Hero, Naofumi kinda has a harem but they're all likable and serve a purpose. Plus, Naofumi being in a harem isn't very important in Shield Hero. The most important aspect of Shield Hero is Naofumi getting through his struggles and the people close to him being there to stop him from sinking into the darkness.

Sakurai_AoiJul 16, 2019 1:02 AM
Jul 16, 2019 1:09 AM

May 2018
It's always unrealistic and cliche and it's always extremely low quality. Because the only purpose for this genre is self-insertion for miserable otaku jerks (or just fap material)

Jul 16, 2019 4:57 PM
Oct 2018
My main concern every time I see a show with the harem tag is an inconclusive ending. The majority of harem shows (at least of ones I have seen/read about) do not have a proper ending; the MC never picks a girl, it's almost always open-ended. Inconclusive endings annoy me greatly, as many harems are character-driven and don't have a substantial plot outside of their characters/relationships.

I loved the recent 5-toubun no Hanayome - one of the very first things it did was "guarantee" the MC picks a girl, although the anime will unlikely cover it.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 8 minutes ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
12 seconds ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 57 minutes ago

5 by Yuri-Crusader »»
41 seconds ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 39 minutes ago

9 by Archean-Return »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 2 hours ago

7 by Lhundrup »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 2 hours ago

16 by deg »»
11 minutes ago
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.