Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 11, 2017 6:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, Nikaido is in mood this chapter. That outfit suits him pretty well (from chapter 43).

While the episode felt a bit gimmicky at first, I thought it was still very entertaining with the shogi theme they had going. Rather than a lot of psychology, it had a more feel of fun to it.

Also I'm glad to see more focus on the girls again. While the conversation felt silly with the food and shop with their grandpa, it added a nice element of relationship building with them together. Good episode overall.
Mar 11, 2017 9:44 AM

Jan 2012
Ah! Now that second half was just what I needed! So wonderful! XD Well done Hina, that's a wonderful goal you've decided upon. But damn, only problem is now I want sweets! XD Oh, and that next week's the finale. Any sense of closure it might bring will feel very incomplete, which is to be expected I suppose, but more on that next week.

And oh yeah, I'll admit it, Nikaidou really did look pretty spiffy in that getup. XD
Mar 11, 2017 10:09 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

The beginning with all the Human Shogi and stuff was pretty fun.
I really liked that moment when Rei smiled after seeing Shimada having fun, the conversation with the reporter was really nice too. Shimada is really a great guy, he's done so much.

Second half was excellent as well, been a while since we had a full section of the sisters. Coming up with that sweet was pretty cute, Hina and Akari at the sweet shop was so relatable. XD
Momo with the gum idea was gold. XD Anyway, well done Hina with your new sweet.

The ending was definitely the best part of the episode with Rei going the the sister's house after a long time, such a heartwarming scene. :)
Mar 11, 2017 10:13 AM

Apr 2013
Excellent episode as always. The Kawamoto sister's expressions were on top today and Momo almost broke grandpa XD

Also, I need a gif of Hina swinging left and right while waiting for Rei to pick up his phone.
Mar 11, 2017 10:22 AM

Jul 2012
I'm just left here craving sweets at 4:30am. ;^;

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Mar 11, 2017 10:28 AM

Oct 2013
A nice healing episode after the gloominess of the last few. The Shogi festival with live shogi was pretty cool. It also seems Shimada is really a great person that takes care of the old folks.

The second half reminds me of how much I missed the sisters, grandpa, and the cats.

Oh no, only 1 more!
Mar 11, 2017 10:37 AM

Jun 2015
Great episode. It's nice to see Shimada in high spirits. He's done so much for the elderly in his town. The Human Shogi was cool. I like how Rei smiled when he saw Shimada having fun. It was heartwarming to see the girls again. Then trying to come up with a new sweet was funny. Momo mentioning gum was hilarious. I loved this episode.
Mar 11, 2017 10:39 AM

Nov 2015
PLEASE let this get a second season! I'm really going to miss this show.

This episode was comparatively light but still had such emotional impact. I'm always impressed with how easy Shaft makes this look.
Mar 11, 2017 11:06 AM

Jul 2015
the second half with all the sweet making felt kinda boring for me. but the ending made up for it. i just love the rei-sisters combo
Galaxy__Mar 11, 2017 11:11 AM
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 11, 2017 11:08 AM
Oct 2015
It's been so long since Rei has met with the sisters, I'm glad that he finally did. It's also nice to see Shimada happy after being depressed for a while
Mar 11, 2017 11:25 AM

Apr 2016
And I cried again. I do understand better now why some people are fond of Shimada. Actually this guy is a saint, in a different manner than the teacher but a saint, still.

I laughed too with the "love me tendouuuu", the president and the cutting of the idyllic sakura scenery with the heavy rain was perfect.
Hearthwarming moments with the sisters in the second half and I cried again at the end when Rei and the Kawamoto (my bad, edited :) ) family was reunited. I've been waiting for it long enough.

That was a marvelous episode!
Ysad_ZiwezhanMar 11, 2017 11:41 AM
Mar 11, 2017 11:34 AM

Aug 2016
aaah, that ending <3
I wonder how they are gonne end this, only 1 episode left, I'm really hoping for a season2!
Nanika ga Okashii
Mar 11, 2017 11:39 AM
Feb 2017
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Hearthwarming moments with the sisters in the second half and I cried again at the end when Rei and the Yamada family was reunited.

Yamada family.... I do not know that this anime is made by Studio Ghibli. Kidding aside, Shaft is getting better. My only issue with the early episodes is that Shaft is getting overboard with the comedic moments but they are on point in this episode. I love the restraint they are showing in the second cour.
Mar 11, 2017 12:16 PM

Sep 2015
Dat animation in the last scenes!
Mar 11, 2017 12:18 PM

Jun 2014
Been a while since the sisters were in an episode for this long, but this was a nice way for them to come back. Their parts of the episode, especially at the end, were fun to watch.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 11, 2017 12:48 PM

Apr 2015
thebrentinator24 said:
Been a while since the sisters were in an episode for this long, but this was a nice way for them to come back. Their parts of the episode, especially at the end, were fun to watch.

ikr

I literally died at this point xd

Well, last episode next week?
From the preview I get the feeling of the Spring, and I like it as it seems so fun.
Plus it is my favorite season so... well, yeah.
Mar 11, 2017 12:49 PM

Feb 2012
the one who is a terrible cook wants to run the shop lol hope next week bring up rei graduation/ sis & stuff
Mar 11, 2017 1:06 PM

Sep 2014
Good feels when Hinata opened the door for Rei :)

One more episode left, damn. I'm going to miss getting Rakugo on Fridays and San-gatsu on Saturdays.
Mar 11, 2017 1:29 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode.

Shimada such a sweet guy getting the elderly to play Shogi.
Human Shogi is interesting.

Great to see the Kawamoto Sisters again. So adorable seeing them excited over sweets.
Wonderful seeing Rei with them again.

1 more ep to go. Hopefully a 2nd Season.
Santoryu_XBurnerMar 11, 2017 1:33 PM
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 11, 2017 2:01 PM

May 2015
I know that this show is about Rei and his change in society and stuff, but the sisters are 3/4 fun of this show. Loved that episode. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 11, 2017 2:03 PM
Aug 2012
Tendo city is traditionally known for its production of the wooden shogi pieces.
Human Shogi is held in April every year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfHf9KRIdjk
Mar 11, 2017 2:04 PM
Feb 2017
abecyo said:
Tendo city is traditionally known for its production of the wooden shogi pieces.
Human Shogi is held in April every year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfHf9KRIdjk

I guess that's explain the "Love me TENDOur" pun.
altctrlshiftMar 11, 2017 2:07 PM
Mar 11, 2017 2:21 PM

Nov 2015
The first was pretty colorful and amazing. The second half was really heartwarming and beautiful. The human shogi is interesting though.

Mar 11, 2017 2:26 PM

Jan 2011
The pain of my cold-dead-heart thawing.
Mar 11, 2017 2:35 PM

May 2016
The idea of this show ending in a week simply hurts, especially after the last part of this episode.

I'm usually not one to ask for second seasons, I like when good stuff ends, but I cannot possibly imagine ending 3-gatsu no Lion in a truly satisfactory way with 24 minutes of runtime.
Mar 11, 2017 2:42 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The gum scene was great, i loved the art in this scene with Momo and the grandpa xD

And once again Rei and Hina at the end were fantastic. And the music kicking in. Please be a thing, yeah?

Shimada ended up being happy about going back to his home after all. Good stuff.
Mar 11, 2017 2:51 PM

Jul 2013
And finally, the sisters and Rei get reunited after so long. The last scene (and the sisters segment in general), was pure heartwarning. So was Shimada finally returning to his home.

I still cannot belive next week this is coming to an end. I hope Shaft makes a season two in the future, really.
Mar 11, 2017 2:54 PM

Jul 2014
I liked the focus on the Kawamoto siblings in the second half.
D-ohnutsMar 11, 2017 2:57 PM
Mar 11, 2017 3:25 PM

Oct 2013
This episode was absolutely beautiful and bittersweet. I feel bad for Shimada because he absolutely wanted to bring the tournament home to prove his strength; even amidst his disappointment and frustration, we see his joyful interactions between him and the townspeople. It was absolutely heartwarming. Also, seeing Shimada turn around at the end makes me tear up. Then we end on a reunion of Rei and the sisters. Powerful episode.
Mar 11, 2017 3:33 PM

Oct 2008
I really hope the last ep won't be as half-assed as this one :<
It's entertaining and all, but no way to end a good anime.
Mar 11, 2017 4:25 PM

Oct 2012
First half = it's okay, I guess, but I can't feel it. Kinda meh. 5/10
Second half = great part, sisters are back and contemplation on new sweets was great! 8/10

As I was saying before, it's like two different shows in one anime, one has boring shounen-like style with MC being more of an observer than protagonist lately (lot of 'Am I good enough?' insecurites included) and another is touching slice-of-life full of little everyday's pleasures and difficulties (counting Kyouko too).

Should the original story moved shogi battles more to the background it would be for the best.
Mar 11, 2017 4:36 PM

May 2015
Quite the heartwarming episode. Rei gets to have dinner with the sisters and family again after such a long time.

Kinda sad that next week will be the finale. Hoping for a decent wrap-up.

Mar 11, 2017 4:52 PM

Jan 2014
My god this episode was so great, like every other episode before this, how can Shaft achieves this feat, thank god for them.

One more episode to go, I feel sad to say goodbye but yeah, season 2 onegaishimasu <3

Going back to Tendou was a restoration for Shimada.
"You can only be forgiven by the people you love."
Every now and then we try to seek salvation from our dearest ones, and in Shimada's place, the elders.

Then Kiriyama was reunited with the sisters.
My heart literally melted for seconds.
OH MY GOD
After so many build-ups, he is coming home, coming to the place where he is accepted <3

Lighthearted episode as it was yet it carried so much weight, this is why I'm still watching anime <3
You will soon learn that a heart that choose to exist, even in a life filled with pain, will one day allow us to meet again.
With the world's blessings, we will meet again and again, forever returning to the homeworld we've yet to see.
Many, many times.

Mar 11, 2017 5:31 PM

Feb 2016
First half was supreme, the second should be a little shorter but I guess some people are into that...

GUM! was an amazing gag tho

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 11, 2017 7:13 PM

May 2009
This show is so warm sometimes ;_; I bet this is how it feels to sit under a Kotatsu.
Mar 11, 2017 8:15 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Man, im gonna miss this anime a lot.
I really hope we get a second season announced after the final episode next week.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 11, 2017 9:00 PM
Jun 2011
Anyone know where I can hear the train station melody online? It plays in this episode at about 3:27 mins.
Mar 11, 2017 9:02 PM

Sep 2016
We need more episodes with sisters >.>
Mar 11, 2017 9:02 PM

Apr 2014
first half was gold, finally shimada visits his home
second part was let's say ok 😅
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Mar 11, 2017 10:31 PM

Oct 2012
Wow, the human shogi think looked really cool and dignified. I would love to watch something like this. The subtle support and kindness that Shimada received from everyone was very heartwarming to see, I'm glad the series developed him like they did.
Second half was our return to the sisters' household, and it was just as good if not better. Seeing Hina work hard thinking of sweets and working with Akari and her grandfather was really nice to watch. The entire scene starting from when she thought about calling Rei to the end was absolutely terrific. The way they animated the scene made it seem so magical, I absolutely loved it. Definitely one of my favorite scenes ever.

spigot said:
Anyone know where I can hear the train station melody online? It plays in this episode at about 3:27 mins.
I may be wrong but I think it's Toryanse? A traditional song that's played at crosswalks in Japan.
gust11Mar 11, 2017 10:34 PM
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Mar 11, 2017 11:39 PM

Jun 2015
No offense, but anyone that calls this episode filler is trash.
Mar 12, 2017 12:10 AM

Feb 2017
I do love Rei, and he must be protected from bad step-sisters and abusive shogi players, but sometimes it is just as good to see secondary characters getting the spotlight too!

Shimada-san is a great man, an inspiration to Rei and other shogi players that aspire to be a little like him. I really liked the highlight he had over these last chapters, because after defeating Rei we all got to know him more, to know how even he, that is an adult, has confidence and anxiety problems, something that Rei can relate to. People just loves him, and he deserves that love.

On the other hand, the sisters keep being as cute and cheerful as always, it is impossible not to love them (especially Momo! that one is the purest child in the whole world!). It was nice to see Hina and Akari losing control over sweets is just like me, I can relate so much to the both of them. Hina's connection with Rei, tho. I was expecting some kind of interaction towards the end f the episode between the Kawamoto sisters and Rei, but he actually appeared suddenly at their front door --without being dragged there this time!--, and it was so sweet of him that he thought of them.

I cannot talk about this anime with objectivity, I'm so biased right now because I love the entire cast. <3
Mar 12, 2017 1:09 AM

Jul 2014
Excellent episode, and not just because of Rei seeing the sisters again. Shimada reuniting with all the people from his hometown was nice as well, and even the comedy stuff was well-executed this week.

With only one episode left though, I have to wonder how this will end, while also hoping eagerly for a second season considering that there's definitely a lot more stuff still to be dealt with at this point.
Mar 12, 2017 3:36 AM

Mar 2016
Unpopular(?) opinion: I need more Tsujii in my life
No seriously.
Mar 12, 2017 4:38 AM

Nov 2014
I always feel relaxed from Kawamotos'. If each week I have such this kind of calmness, sure is wonderful. At the end of the episode was very heartwarming.
Mar 12, 2017 6:00 AM

Jun 2015
The sweets part was definitely whatever, but Shimada's fragment made up for the whole episode.
Mar 12, 2017 7:23 AM

Nov 2013
yay finally an episode with the sisters, hina is my favourite but i like them all lol
was cute and funny to see rei and hina on the phone or momo eating the cat ear

rip 5 days of family food cause of a sweet pahahahaha
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Mar 12, 2017 10:07 AM

Sep 2013
The animation of Hina-chan greeting Rei was outstanding,just wow.

I'm really going to miss this show,seeing Rei change episode by episode to be this blooming young adult who show his emotions was a terrific experience,a season 2 would be great there's so much to use in this story please make it happen
Deep dark fantasies
Mar 12, 2017 11:48 AM

Feb 2014
The first half of the episode had a slight bittersweet taste to it. Seeing Shimada coming back home for the Shogi competition with Rei and Nikaidou made me imagine what it would've been like if Shimada was able to get to play in his hometown in the Lion King Tournament.

Either way, at least the charming elders was able to greet him with plenty of smiles and made Shimada himself smile once more. =)

The second half was dedicated to the Kawamoto sisters and their grandpa as they brain-stormed for new ideas for traditional sweets to sell in their store. I can relate to Hina and Akari though. You want to treat yourself on a slight budget, but I can't resist choosing the more expensive sweets, with added toppings to boot too! =P

In the end, the sweet that they decided on looked lovely. The scene was made even funnier when Momo decided to try and eat her cat's ear though! XD

The end part was awesome too. Hina called Rei and with god-like timing, he was right outside her house, so she greeted him with a huge smile on her face. Top marks for Shaft as they made the scene's animation look superb. =)

One episode left now. I'll miss this show once it ends. D=
Mar 12, 2017 2:32 PM
Oct 2013
i need the song at 11:05
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

163 by astoneon »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

169 by astoneon »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

78 by LotteGiants »»
Today, 4:20 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

161 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 24, 8:32 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.