Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 18, 2017 11:00 AM
Jan 2017
There has been a lot of hype for the return of Samurai Jack, and there were remarks by some that it is better than any anime out there. But I think it is undeniable that Kemono no Souja Erin (another anime mainly targeted for young audience), obliterate Samurai Jack in every way. Based on a novel written by an anthropologist, it is a very intelligent anime enjoyable for a person of any age group, which at the same time do not forget its main audience, the children. It is a complex tale told in ghibli-esque style, with much symbolism and serious themes explored

Those who havent seen the anime should check out its reviews, they are very well written
Quote from Archaeon: "This show has pretty much everything one could want from a series: politics, love, betrayal, assasination, history, religion, war, friendship, joy, sadness, terror, a touch of mysticism, and more besides."
Feb 18, 2017 11:06 AM

Feb 2013
sam jack is some overrated shit nostalgiafagging rose gogggles young and restless "is that profesor utonium?" neverending shounen
samurai flamenco is where the fun is at

that description of erin reminds me of Saiunkoku Monogatari (or ginei for that matter)
there is only so much politics, love, betrayal, assasination, history, religion, war, friendship, joy, sadness, terror, and touch of mysticism one can take in a lifetime
Feb 18, 2017 11:12 AM
Jan 2017
Buo said:
Samurai Jack better than any anime out there? How high do you have to be to say such nonsense?

Some people were actually saying that some days ago
Feb 18, 2017 11:16 AM

Mar 2014
Gaiga said:
and there were remarks by some that it is better than any anime out there

I don't really care, I just want to say that's retarded.
Feb 18, 2017 11:19 AM

Feb 2010
Do you have a source for the novel being a children's novel?
It doesn't seem like something particularly interesting for kids. I probably wouldn't have liked it before I was 20. To me it's one of these shows that have no age-based demographic. A quick research didn't get me anywhere, they just called it a novel and not a childrens novel.

But yeah, it is an amazing and underappreciated anime. Idk about Samurai Jack tho since I haven't seen it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 18, 2017 11:19 AM

May 2015
romagia said:
sam jack is some overrated shit nostalgiafagging rose gogggles young and restless "is that profesor utonium?" neverending shounen
samurai flamenco is where the fun is at

I'll fucking fight you irl right now mate, shit talk Sam Jack some more you Tympole bastard

Samurai Flamenco is good though.
Buo said:
Samurai Jack better than any anime out there? How high do you have to be to say such nonsense?

Shuichi2 said:
Gaiga said:
and there were remarks by some that it is better than any anime out there

I never knew there was so much fucking shit taste on the MAL forums.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Feb 18, 2017 11:24 AM

Mar 2014
RainyRai said:
Shuichi2 said:

I never knew there was so much fucking shit taste on the MAL forums.

I know this isn't being serious, but yes how dare someone on an anime forum think anime is better than some cartoon they never cared about.
Feb 18, 2017 11:29 AM

Feb 2016
I never knew there were so many people eager to call others wrong or retarded when they dont even recognize a hyperbole.

For your information Samurai Jack is the best shit eva. Ill try that Kemono ghibli stuff out some day.
But seriously Samurai Jack IS better than most anime, not the vast majority but definitely above average.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 18, 2017 11:45 AM

May 2015
I already have that anime in PTW and eventually watch it but it is still an anime and it is incontestable that Samurai Jack > any anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2017 12:03 PM

Aug 2009
Okay... thx for sharing your opinion. It doesn't mean it's right though.

I think Erin is a really underwatched and underappreciated show, but it can't really touch Samurai Jack. The stylistic choices and visuals alone put Jack on another level. Also you have to consider the medium. Anime is oversaturated with these types of dramatic sob stories with female leads. Samurai Jack is extremely unique among western T.V.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 18, 2017 12:06 PM

Jun 2014
Who is Jack and Erin? Is this like Jack and Diane, except Jack dumps Diane for some girl named Erin?

Feb 18, 2017 12:09 PM
Jan 2017
Pullman said:
Do you have a source for the novel being a children's novel?
It doesn't seem like something particularly interesting for kids. I probably wouldn't have liked it before I was 20. To me it's one of these shows that have no age-based demographic. A quick research didn't get me anywhere, they just called it a novel and not a childrens novel.

But yeah, it is an amazing and underappreciated anime. Idk about Samurai Jack tho since I haven't seen it.

I grew up watching it, along with other children in Japan (part of my childhood was spent in Japan), and most children really liked it. I think I was around 10 at the time. Children are not dumb, and can understand almost any theme presented to them (as long as nothing sexual). I really cant understand why children are underestimated like that in west, judging from the entertainment targeted to them..

The original novel isnt targeted to children, but the anime seem to be, as is apparent from its art style.
Another quote from Archaeon: "the show is very clearly labelled and marketed as a children's series"
Feb 18, 2017 12:14 PM
Jan 2017
zal said:
it is still an anime and it is incontestable that Samurai Jack > any anime

This line basically basically an admission of being a bigot. I dont want to argue, so I will leave it at that...
Feb 18, 2017 12:20 PM
Jan 2017
HamburgerSpike said:
I never knew there were so many people eager to call others wrong or retarded when they dont even recognize a hyperbole.

For your information Samurai Jack is the best shit eva. Ill try that Kemono ghibli stuff out some day.
But seriously Samurai Jack IS better than most anime, not the vast majority but definitely above average.

You seem to be few of the only non extremist among the cartoon backing people, and thank God for that. But there is nothing significant about being above average, so it really is too much of a hyperbole
Feb 18, 2017 12:25 PM

Nov 2016
I liked Samurai Jack when I was a kid but I wouldn't say it's better than anime in my opinion.
Feb 18, 2017 12:26 PM

Apr 2014
Not gonna lie I thought of Jacksfilms when I read this title
Feb 18, 2017 12:29 PM
Jan 2017
LoneWolf said:
The stylistic choices and visuals alone put Jack on another level

Can you convince me with some video pls
Feb 18, 2017 12:29 PM

May 2015
Gaiga said:
zal said:
it is still an anime and it is incontestable that Samurai Jack > any anime

This line basically basically an admission of being a bigot. I dont want to argue, so I will leave it at that...
You said you don't want to argue yet you created this thread and answered to my comment, that's rather contradictory.

You said "undeniable that Kemono no Souja Erin obliterate Samurai Jack in every way", but when I say basically the same thing (but with Samurai Jack being the praised one) I am being a bigot.

You call me a bigot because I have a different opinion yet you are intolerant towards those holding different opinions which by the way is the definition of bigot.

The only way you could make me care less about your opinion is being an (probably) alt with less than a month from your creation... oh wait...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2017 12:33 PM

Jan 2016
In the end they are both animation and i like them, a flaw of Erin is the comic relief characters. God they are freaking annoying.

I would give Samurai Jack the same score i gave to Erin.
Feb 18, 2017 12:37 PM
Aug 2014
I have yet to see Jack, but Erin is certainly an excellent show. Easily one of my favorite anime and I was even able to write a "review" on it. I see it as far more than a simple coming of age story, a tale of far more, encompassing existentialism, the will to live, inspiring change, shattering codes, boundaries, and obtaining free will.
KonakanaFeb 18, 2017 12:47 PM
Feb 18, 2017 12:41 PM
Jan 2017
zal said:
Gaiga said:

You said you don't want to argue yet you created this thread and answered to my comment, that's rather contradictory.

You said "undeniable that Kemono no Souja Erin obliterate Samurai Jack in every way", but when I say basically the same thing (but with Samurai Jack being the praised one) I am being a bigot.

You call me a bigot because I have a different opinion yet you are intolerant towards those holding different opinions which by the way is the definition of bigot.

The only way you could make me care less about your opinion is being an (probably) alt with less than a month from your creation... oh wait...

I have seen how anime vs cartoon threads turned out, so I really dont want to argue about it. You havent seen KnSE, and yet say 'it is still an anime' to say that it is inferior, meaning you dont care how good it might actually be, and just by being an anime, its value is pre determined. I did not say samurai jack is inferior because 'it is still a cartoon', and instead I have actually seen some episodes of Samurai Jack
Feb 18, 2017 12:53 PM

Apr 2013
This show really fascinated me when I was younger.
Feb 18, 2017 12:55 PM

Sep 2015
Hongu said:
Not gonna lie I thought of Jacksfilms when I read this title
Yeah I also came into this thread ready to talk about Jacksfilms x)
Feb 18, 2017 12:59 PM

May 2015
Gaiga said:
zal said:

I have seen how anime vs cartoon threads turned out, so I really dont want to argue about it. You havent seen KnSE, and yet say 'it is still an anime' to say that it is inferior, meaning you dont care how good it might actually be, and just by being an anime, its value is pre determined. I did not say samurai jack is inferior because 'it is still a cartoon', and instead I have actually seen some episodes of Samurai Jack
KnSE is indeed still an anime, isn't it?

I wouldn't say its value is predetermined but more like limited to be inferior to Samurai Jack.

I don't see how not caring about how good the anime is would make me a bigot.

You can say that KnSE obliterates Samurai Jack but I cannot say that Samurai Jack > all anime?
Feb 18, 2017 1:03 PM

Feb 2016
Gaiga said:
LoneWolf said:
The stylistic choices and visuals alone put Jack on another level

If you have seen at least some episodes you would notice its very distinct look like LoneWolf mentioned. Although I dont think you should be comparing both shows qualities while having only one of them completed. I might find some cool vid in the near future.
I think the hyperbole was just fine, like any hyperbole :D

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

Feb 18, 2017 1:15 PM

Apr 2014
Well, that is their opinion, and you have your opinion, so why try to change that?
Feb 18, 2017 1:17 PM

Jun 2015
well samurai jack is the most one dimensional character ever.

but he is still more likeable than most anime mc.

that show is basically a CN made battle shonen.

and while it cant touch shows like fairy tail, hxh, gb, rk etc, jack is still a better mc than most battle harem, echhi romcom, nose bleed never getting laid tsunderefags, so yes samurai jack is[the old one was] better than many anime. but its not better than all anime.

btw @op why the fuck are you comparing a sad lil girly story with a violent edgy slasher show?

whats next? compare southpark or someother shit like that to moe shows?
Feb 18, 2017 1:19 PM

Feb 2016
KuroudoAkabane said:

and while it cant touch shows like fairy tail, hxh, gb, rk etc, jack is still a better mc than most battle harem, echhi romcom, nose bleed never getting laid tsunderefags, so yes samurai jack is[the old one was] better than many anime. but its not better than all anime.

btw @op why the fuck are you comparing a sad lil girly story with a violent edgy slasher show?

He isnt one dimensional. His past and motivations are clearly shown in the first episode, he also learns and progresses throughout the series
SpaghettiSpikeFeb 18, 2017 1:27 PM

Feb 18, 2017 1:26 PM

Jun 2015
HamburgerSpike said:
KuroudoAkabane said:

He isnt one dimensional. His past and motivations are clearly shown in the first episode lol
1st ep? who the fuck remembers that?

did it have a 1st ep?

all I remember is that he is teleported into a parallel universe or the future by aku, and he wants to destroy him cuz he is evil ..........

lemme guess though, his motive is revenge isnt it?
Feb 18, 2017 1:28 PM
Jan 2017
HamburgerSpike said:
Gaiga said:

If you have seen at least some episodes you would notice its very distinct look like LoneWolf mentioned. Although I dont think you should be comparing both shows qualities while having only one of them completed. I might find some cool vid in the near future.

Yeah it does have unique animation, but was doubtful about it putting Samurai Jack on another level. But I guess you are right about the comparing thing :-)
Feb 18, 2017 1:34 PM
Jan 2017
KuroudoAkabane said:

I'm comparing two shows aimed at younger audience. And Erin is seriously not a 'sad lil girly story' :/

It is written by by an an anthropologist, and mainly explore sociocultural differences
GaigaFeb 18, 2017 1:58 PM
Feb 18, 2017 1:40 PM

Feb 2016
KuroudoAkabane said:
HamburgerSpike said:

He isnt one dimensional. His past and motivations are clearly shown in the first episode lol

did it have a 1st ep?

all I remember is that he is teleported into a parallel universe or the future by aku, and he wants to destroy him cuz he is evil ..........

Well why not let out your opinion when you not only remember jackshit(kek) about the show but also about character depth, right? Youre right with the rest of your previous post tho

Feb 18, 2017 1:51 PM

Jun 2015
HamburgerSpike said:
KuroudoAkabane said:

did it have a 1st ep?

Well why not let out your opinion when you not only remember jackshit(kek) about the show but also about character depth, right? Youre right with the rest of your previous post tho
you expect me to remember 1 ep from what 20 years ago?

oh I looked it up,

he is one dimensional.
Feb 18, 2017 1:56 PM

Feb 2016
KuroudoAkabane said:
HamburgerSpike said:

oh I looked it up,

he is one dimensional.

idk if youre trolling but going by your definition Natsu, Gray and Lucy are all also one dimensional.

Feb 18, 2017 1:58 PM

Jun 2015
Gaiga said:
KuroudoAkabane said:

I'm comparing two shows aimed at younger audience. And Erin is seriously not a 'sad lil girly story' :/
I read the shows summary. reads like a shojo.

also, your saying they are aimed at similar demographics makes no sense.

samurai jack was aimed not at small children but teens. it aired during other teen shonen type shows, like swat katz, centurions space ghost and ccs etc.

didnt you say you watched that erin anime when ur 10? in japan?
Feb 18, 2017 2:04 PM

Jun 2015
HamburgerSpike said:
KuroudoAkabane said:

oh I looked it up,

he is one dimensional.

idk if youre trolling but going by your definition Natsu, Gray and Lucy are all also one dimensional.
natsu has not shown any change despite going thru a lot and being taught a harsh lesson on tenrojima by gildarts, he's still the same. he just doesnt learn.

he is one dimensional.

gray has more development, juvia is 1 dimensional [gray yandere]

I love natsu as an mc despite no real meat.

someone being one dimensional doenst make it a bad thing, I like one dimensional.
Feb 18, 2017 2:08 PM
Jan 2017
KuroudoAkabane said:
Gaiga said:

I read the shows summary. reads like a shojo.

also, your saying they are aimed at similar demographics makes no sense.

samurai jack was aimed not at small children but teens. it aired during other teen shonen type shows, like swat katz, centurions space ghost and ccs etc.

didnt you say you watched that erin anime when ur 10? in japan?

Those cartoons are for young teens and children. Erin is aimed at the same demographic too, although it is made to be enjoyable for any age group, being based on a novel aimed for older demograhic

But if you disagree with it, its all right. We can agree to disagree
Feb 18, 2017 2:27 PM

Feb 2016
KuroudoAkabane said:
HamburgerSpike said:

natsu has not shown any change despite going thru a lot and being taught a harsh lesson on tenrojima by gildarts, he's still the same. he just doesnt learn.
he is one dimensional.
gray has more development, juvia is 1 dimensional [gray yandere]
I love natsu as an mc despite no real meat.
someone being one dimensional doenst make it a bad thing, I like one dimensional.

I know people like throwing these terms around without having any knowledge but its just incorrect. One dimensional MC's are actually really rare. What you mean is a character development and the ones mentioned are mostly static(not dynamic) characters.
SpaghettiSpikeFeb 18, 2017 2:40 PM

Feb 18, 2017 2:50 PM

Sep 2012
Milk_is_Special said:
Well, that is their opinion, and you have your opinion, so why try to change that?

Hah you jest. This is MAL you know...
Feb 18, 2017 2:52 PM

Apr 2014
sasalx said:
Milk_is_Special said:

Hah you jest. This is MAL you know...
I know, that's exactly why this needs to be addressed.
Feb 18, 2017 2:55 PM
Apr 2016
I like Samurai Jack but most of those people are surely just blinded nostalgia.

But... I guess it is better than MOST anime considering that a lot of anime is actually quite bad. Still I'd rather check out the first 500 anime on MAL.
Feb 18, 2017 3:10 PM

May 2015
Blood-Typemaster said:
Would you say 2 years were enough for me to develop blinded nostalgia?
Feb 18, 2017 3:10 PM

Aug 2009
Gaiga said:
HamburgerSpike said:

Yeah it does have unique animation, but was doubtful about it putting Samurai Jack on another level. But I guess you are right about the comparing thing :-)

Well there's no guarantee I can convince you, but here are two scenes from the same episode with vastly different tone and feel.

Its not really Jack as a character that is the strength of the show, but the unique visual style. The backgrounds and the environments of the show are what give it character. There is a great deal of variety in the type of atmosphere and the tone of the episodes evoke. You never really know what to expect when you watch a new episode. It is very minimalist and optimal not just in it's dialogue but also the visuals. It's hard to explain if you haven't even bothered to finish the show. Erin is a good show though and more people need to watch it. I just don't feel like it is breaking any barriers or doing anything particularly new or innovative. It is pretty much a World Masterpiece Theater anime done in the late 2000's. Plus those thief brothers were awful character and added absolutely nothing to the series.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 18, 2017 5:20 PM
Apr 2016
zal said:
Blood-Typemaster said:
Would you say 2 years were enough for me to develop blinded nostalgia?

Only two years might mean you're suffering from the honeymoon phase than nostalgia.
Feb 19, 2017 12:04 AM
Jan 2017
LoneWolf said:
Gaiga said:

Well there's no guarantee I can convince you, but here are two scenes from the same episode with vastly different tone and feel.

Its not really Jack as a character that is the strength of the show, but the unique visual style. The backgrounds and the environments of the show are what give it character. There is a great deal of variety in the type of atmosphere and the tone of the episodes evoke. You never really know what to expect when you watch a new episode. It is very minimalist and optimal not just in it's dialogue but also the visuals. It's hard to explain if you haven't even bothered to finish the show. Erin is a good show though and more people need to watch it. I just don't feel like it is breaking any barriers or doing anything particularly new or innovative. It is pretty much a World Masterpiece Theater anime done in the late 2000's. Plus those thief brothers were awful character and added absolutely nothing to the series.

Thanks for your opinion. Here's my take on it. The style is certainly unique, but it is still a huge stretch to call it anything extraordinary. You can easily find anime with the same thing done just as well.

Erin is unlike any other show aimed at children, so it really is breaking many barriers, especially with the deep themes it explore. It is truly a masterpiece, showing life,people and society from all kind of perspectives. You are right about the thief brothers though. They were added in anime to lighten the tone and make the story more enjoyable for children, but from adult perspective, they really werent needed in the anime
Feb 19, 2017 3:33 AM

Mar 2014
HamburgerSpike said:

Assuming this was aimed at me, I never called anyone retarded. I meant it was retarded to consider one cartoon better than every single anime out there, serious or not.

More topics from this board

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect.

Gashadokur0 - 4 hours ago

33 by Toooooooooohru »»
2 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Apr 27

45 by FanofAction »»
10 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 4 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

153 by FFandMMfan »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » What type of manga -> anime adaptation do you prefer

Ventus_S - May 17

29 by Vendicator »»
12 minutes ago

» Courage the Cowardly Dog Anime

ZakuF_ - 5 hours ago

16 by traed »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.