Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 18, 2017 6:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh man, this episode was funny. Nikaidou's personality was so amusing to watch during the shogi game in the beginning. I think they adapted the manga expression pretty well. The amount of strategy discussed in this episode was also insightful.

The style of what Rei experienced (as he describes like a river) was pretty well done too imo.

Really enjoyed the balance of the comedy and more tense moments this episode.

Feb 18, 2017 9:45 AM

Jan 2012
Interesting watery visuals for Rei. Well we all knew Shimada was doomed against silver-haired Rei going in, so no shock there. So glad the sisters showed up, even if only for a bit. Enjoy Squirrely Teacher Momo! XD
Feb 18, 2017 10:12 AM

Apr 2014
How does every episode become the best episode so far. Its insane how enjoyable this has become. The second half is surely stronger in terms of narrative and visuals.
Feb 18, 2017 10:20 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

The workshop game between Rei and Shimada had some excellent visuals. Glad that Rei is trying his best to learn from the workshop.

Second half was definitely the stronger part of the episode.
I teared up when Hayashida-sensei acknowledged Rei for having accomplished so much and doing his best all the time. Must have been a really uplifting moment for Rei, I cried along with him. T.T Honestly though, when someone acknowledges all the hard work you've done in your life, it's probably one of the most uplifting and emotional moments you can ever have. Soundtrack was excellent for that scene as well.

Glad to see Hina and Momo again, Rei managed to tell them nothing was wrong but looks like Akari realized why Rei left his old home.

Shimada lost, I hope he wins next game. :(
Lelouch0202Feb 18, 2017 10:24 AM
Feb 18, 2017 10:25 AM

Nov 2014
Hayashida's words really struck into my heart. I was about to shed my tear.

Hina is so caring. Love her so much I want to hug you.. hope someone like her to be by my side.
Feb 18, 2017 10:33 AM

May 2015
I know that this show is about Rei and his shogi, but I love sisters part way more.
Momo is the best. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 18, 2017 11:51 AM

Jun 2015
The workshop scenes had great visuals. I loved the Star Wars reference. Glad that Rei is learning from the workshop. His scene with Hayashida-sensei was heartwarming. I teared up when Hayashida-sensei acknowledged Rei for accomplishing things he couldn't do when he was a teen. Happy to see Hina and Momo again. Rei cleared up the misunderstanding they had. Sad to know Shimada lost.
Feb 18, 2017 12:01 PM

Aug 2016
I was hoping we would see the sisters again this week, then the bell rang :D
Nanika ga Okashii
Feb 18, 2017 12:22 PM

Sep 2015
Very good teacher. In America, most teachers can't really go this far on helping a student because classrooms are overpacked and they have too many other kids to deal with during school and after school(where they might grade a bunch of paper).
Feb 18, 2017 12:53 PM

Jun 2014
That was a really nice moment between Rei and his teacher. Teachers like that are hard to come by, so it's good see one who really does care.

It sucks to know that Shimada lost but it was expected I guess.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 18, 2017 12:59 PM

Apr 2010
would have been 100x better if Kyouko suddenly burst into Rei's room when Hina and Momo was there.. can't wait for more of this interaction in the future..

also GTH.. Great Teacher Hayashida
Feb 18, 2017 1:14 PM

May 2010
God i wish they focus entirely on Rei and the sisters and kyouko.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 18, 2017 1:15 PM

Nov 2015
What a great teacher.

Feb 18, 2017 1:57 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode as usual and slow paced.
The waves were so well animated. I felt strangely anxious seeing the water overflowing in the bathtub after he nearly drowned and hearing how he was so weak and too sore to move.
Feb 18, 2017 2:07 PM

Dec 2012
LOL that Star Wars Reference.

That torrent of water imagery was cool to see.
Rei just barely passing. Well Congrats.
Hayashida Sensei is the best.

Akari seems to know what is going on with Rei.
Lovely End card.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Feb 18, 2017 2:27 PM

Jun 2013
what the hell was that at the start shogi wars?! lol
Feb 18, 2017 2:29 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Shimada's game thoughts....what an amazing scene visually. That was SHAFT going hard.

Hayashida-sensei is still a godsend, what a guy. Rei was crying from that conversation.

Hina visiting Rei <3
Feb 18, 2017 4:20 PM

May 2015
Sensei is such a great teacher. Also, it felt like they stepped it up in this episode with visualizing the thoughts of the characters. I liked it.

Feb 18, 2017 4:34 PM

Oct 2013
I want to watch an episode of Squirrely Teacher. Only 4 episodes left.
Feb 18, 2017 4:53 PM

Jul 2014
One good thing about this show is that whenever there's any metaphorical scenes like the tidal wave one in this episode, they don't take up a lot of the episode's running time.
D-ohnutsFeb 18, 2017 5:04 PM
Feb 18, 2017 5:08 PM

Jun 2011
moodie said:
How does every episode become the best episode so far. Its insane how enjoyable this has become. The second half is surely stronger in terms of narrative and visuals.

I know, right? This show is crazy. Every episode has some sort of leg-up on the last one, there's no way I could drop the show even if I tried.

Really good episode this week. The scene with Rei and Shimada near the beginning was stunning. I'm not sure if the visual metaphors are Shaft's doing or if they were in the original manga, but either way, they're brilliant. They really drag me into the scene as a viewer. The visual motif below is from one of the early episodes (when we hear Kyouko call Rei worthless in his thoughts for the first time), and it's one of my favourites. Reminds me a little bit of Hyouka.

5/5 for this episode. Hoping Shimada manages to get back to his hometown for the sixth game. He deserves at least that much.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Feb 18, 2017 5:11 PM

Oct 2012
First part was pretty meh again (I really don't like when they are just saying screming moves at each other, there is no way normal viewer could understand without showing on the board and they even acknowledged that by the need to use explanation - btw those star wars references didn't really fit there) but the second part was kinda good. The mood was right but even when time is flowing it still feel like the main character moved nowhere.

All those Shaft-isms and visuals really can't save this series now.
Feb 18, 2017 6:19 PM
May 2010
That raging water visual was an immersive experience, I can feel the tension of the scene. Wished I could see Rei explaining to Shigeta/Nikaidou so that I could see both of them shocked or something, I guess when you're doing something for so long, your instinct/subconscious can tell if something is wrong.

Also I was worried that the one pushing the doorbell was Kyouko, thank god it was the sisters.
This is a signature.
Feb 18, 2017 6:25 PM

Mar 2013
Hina's relief after learning Kyouko is Rei's sister was cute. It seems like she developed some feelings for the protagonist.
Feb 18, 2017 6:33 PM

Aug 2015
Wow, Sensei is like a father to Rei. Always looking out and wanting the best for him.
Feb 18, 2017 8:56 PM

Aug 2013
Isn't the end card drawn by Ume ? It looks like her art
Feb 18, 2017 9:50 PM

Sep 2014
Hayashida is such a good teacher. He kind of reminds me of reigen, if reigen wasn't such a troll. I always love it when there is a mentor there to help someone younger than him when they're in trouble. It is always very heartwarming to see.

Shimada lost :(
Feb 18, 2017 10:33 PM

Mar 2016
Yet another amazing episode :D

Hayashida is the best. What an amazing teacher. His speech was really touching. I legit shed a tear in that scene. Really heartwarming. Love that guy :')
Momo calling Kyouko a witch makes me laugh every time. That is so cute the way she tells it haha. Glad to see the sisters again. Hina is so caring for Rei <3 Looks like Akari has figured out why Rei left his home. I hope things get better for the siblings.
Shimada lost again. That sucks :/ I really want to see more of Shouyo. How good is he :O
Only 4 more episodes left. I want more of this series T_T

Feb 19, 2017 12:19 AM

Oct 2013
FrozenRaider said:
I know that this show is about Rei and his shogi, but I love sisters part way more.

While the show is kinda about Rei and his shogi, I think this anime is definitely more focused on how Rei fights his past and faces the future. I feel like the sisters are very very important to the show
Feb 19, 2017 1:07 AM

Jul 2014
Even though the rest of the episode was really good and impressive, I really hate the scenes at the workshop when all four of them are there; they just aren't funny at all and simply drag on way, way too much. That aside, I liked how the teacher called Rei out on his claim that he hasn't accomplished anything, and it was interesting how Momo and Hina accepted what Rei said about Kyouko at face value while Akari was able to think about it further and understand something a little closer to the actual truth.
Feb 19, 2017 6:46 AM

Nov 2011
The teacher is one of the best characters in this anime. he really goes above and beyond for Rei even if he fails sometimes. His development is awesome as well.

Man I was hoping for some kind of Romance in this anime but it probably won't happen. Akari is now aware of why Rei really left his home. I wish she was more involved in this season because I feel Akari and Rei would be the best pair.

That end card was really nice.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 19, 2017 7:47 AM

Jul 2015
what an amazing episode as always
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Feb 19, 2017 8:03 AM

Feb 2014
Shimada's thought prowess with Rei was very intense. Nicely animated as well. =)

Nikaidou being called a steamed bun was hilarious! XD

Rei's teacher is awesome. Hearing Rei say that he didn't contribute much to himself successfully going into his second year as a high school student must've felt painful for his teacher, who rightly reminded him just how much Rei does, not only inside of school, but outside as well. He reminds me of a few of my teachers during my time at school, who always helped out their students, no matter the problem and no matter how busy they were. =)

Hina and Momo visiting Rei at his apartment was a surprise, but at least it gave him a chance to clear the misunderstanding with Hina about him and Kyoko not too long ago. Hina looked super pleased about it, that I can't help but feel that she might a small crush for Rei now, even though she always has a crush for the baseball player though.

Not only that, but it gave Akari more insight about Rei and his reason for leaving home to live on his own.

Great episode once again and the ending card is really sweet too. =)
Feb 19, 2017 9:10 AM

Apr 2016
We needed this anime to see a Darth Vader mit cat ears and rosa cheeks! Thank you Shaft! I enjoyed the fight between Nikaidou and Shigeta, that made me smile while Hayashida Sensei made me cry, again. He is too good to be true. If Rei can't get out of his depressive state with this guy next to him and all the other amazing people, then there's no hope for anybody.

About the support, Hina and Momo were on duty in this episode though Momo seemed still anxious that the witch might appear suddenly to catch her. How cute! In a short shot it is revealed that this witch could have been nice to Rei back then when they were kids, despite the fights. More background.

Great episode as always. Also it might be late, but OP and ED grew on me. I really like them a lot now.
Feb 19, 2017 10:36 AM

Aug 2016
I have been waiting for the sisters to visit Rei's apartment. I feel like the anime really portrayed Rei in that moment well, while he was trying to figure out what to serve them. He's never really had children over to his place, or visitors in general, so this is a nice change of pace for Rei. Momo's constant looking around all scared was adorable.

Hayashida, Rei's teacher, seriously cares for him and looks up to him in a way because he didn't do much back when he was Rei's age, and Rei is constantly trying his best to maintain school and earning a living. I think Hayashida is one of the best supporting characters in this anime so far.
Feb 19, 2017 11:08 AM

Nov 2009
Very satisfying to watch as usual. Both Shimada's and the Kawamoto's part was pleasant. The ED card was nice as well.
Feb 19, 2017 12:22 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
One-san gets it. That's no normal brother sister relationship.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 19, 2017 12:59 PM
Apr 2014
Very good episode, incidentally, as always, this anime / manga is wonderful, I feel because the end is already close and the best in history, will not give time to be shown. Cheer for a second season.
Feb 19, 2017 2:05 PM

Oct 2014
Man.. i hope there's 2nd season of this anime because after reading the manga until the last updated chapter, it was sooo gooood.. i want to see them get animated.
Feb 19, 2017 2:56 PM

Dec 2012
20:57 why did akari say that's it's a worse situation that kyouko is rei's sister? Can someone please explain Akari's reaction? Why did she have the white blank eyes reaction face?
Feb 19, 2017 3:15 PM

Apr 2016
PoLoBreak said:
20:57 why did akari say that's it's a worse situation that kyouko is rei's sister? Can someone please explain Akari's reaction? Why did she have the white blank eyes reaction face?

Maybe because the way Rei and Kyouko were fighting wasn't just a little quarrel. She probably sensed the tension was too big to be "normal" and she then supposed it was the reason why Rei decided to live alone even though he was only 16 or 17 when he did so.
And she is right.
Maybe too she is aware it's harder to cut off definitely the tie with the family, even if it hurts to stay in contact. Kyouko is not a random acquaintance he could forget or ignore as if he just met her some weeks ago. She is family (and maybe more) and they have a long shared convoluted past.
Ysad_ZiwezhanFeb 19, 2017 3:25 PM
Feb 19, 2017 9:26 PM

Aug 2013
Meta_Yoshi said:
Hina and Momo visiting Rei at his apartment was a surprise, but at least it gave him a chance to clear the misunderstanding with Hina about him and Kyoko not too long ago. Hina looked super pleased about it, that I can't help but feel that she might a small crush for Rei now, even though she always has a crush for the baseball player though.

Hina's just a little too relieved to find out that she was his sister, haha.
Feb 19, 2017 9:52 PM

Sep 2015
At the risk of sounding hyperbolic what a stunning episode. It starts off light but strong with the workshop antics. The Star Wars shogi cats was quite amusing too. But it immediately gets into really emotional territory with Shimada and Rei's game the next day. Shimada's speech about his home town was really touching and thought provoking. And the titular "torrent" when he and Rei play was gorgeously animated. As well as a really fantastic visual metaphor for playing a game with a seasoned veteran.

Though not quite as powerful. I also really liked the scene with the teacher this episode. His speech about his disaffected youth was both extremely relatable and a little sad. Though he seemed like a disposable stock character at first. The teacher has become a really compelling character in his own right. The episode ends with Rei finally having a face to face with Momo and Hina after they saw him with Kyoko last episode. It was a fine and cute scene. But I'm also not sure it added much to the plot. Or our understanding of the characters.

What I found more interesting was Akari's reaction after the fact. Her comment made me question Rei and Kyoko's relationship. And why he did leave his step dad's house in the first place. Though maybe it's nothing new from what we already knew. I could be overthinking things. Hoping if Shimada does get blown out next episode, we actually get to see the match.
Feb 19, 2017 11:43 PM

Oct 2011
Amazing episode
That star wars shogi match
Shimada vs Rei Torrent
Sensei praising rei
momo!!!!
Feb 20, 2017 12:39 PM
Oct 2016
Hinata said:
Very good teacher. In America, most teachers can't really go this far on helping a student because classrooms are overpacked and they have too many other kids to deal with during school and after school(where they might grade a bunch of paper).

Or they just don't want to deal with them, because at the end of they, all they are interested is that pay check at the end of the month :/
Feb 20, 2017 12:44 PM
Oct 2016
''Come on, now. Haven't accomplished anything? Don't say that. You've been coming to school while working, doing your laundry, taking out your trash, making your meals, you fight, make money, pay rent.... When I was 17 I thought I could be a big shot while reading manga, watching TV, playing games.......So don't tell me you haven't accomplished anything! I saw it! You fight!!'
GOD DAMN THIS SHOW IS WAY TOO MUCH FOR ME TO HANDLE!!!
WE ONLY HAVE 4 EPISODES OF THIS MASTERPIECE.... ONLY 4
Feb 21, 2017 9:53 AM

Jul 2009
Wow, another amazing episode. The Star Wars battle was great, but then seeing the "torrent" was really well done and showed how it felt to face a strong professional. Plus we have another great scene between Rei and his teacher telling him that he's been doing a lot. I mean, for sure I wasn't living by myself when I was in high school! Seems like Akari's the only one who sort of "gets" Rei's relationship with Kyouko after that. Ahhhh man, I'm so sad that Shimada lost again! T_T I was hoping he'd be in better shape, especially given how he was talking about his hometown at the beginning ... he really wants to be able to play there :( You can do it!!! Although now he has to win 2 in a row to get to the 6th match ... dang, Touya sure is scary huh D: I can't believe this show is coming to an end soon ... nooooo :'(
Feb 21, 2017 5:24 PM

Oct 2008
lol at the very obvious star wars reference!
its good news to see how a kind teacher Rei has!
Akari already knew what's going-on with Rei & Kyouko and her intuition already says that the two aren't really siblings.
Shimada couldn't even make 1 win against Souya meijin!
4/5.
matias067Feb 21, 2017 5:28 PM

Feb 22, 2017 11:06 PM

Dec 2014
well the premise is so better when the sisters are involved....well four episodes to go...I don't know how will they end it all....
Feb 22, 2017 11:57 PM

Nov 2008
Unless Shaft throws a curveball by going with an anime original ending when they've been following the source material almost to the letter up to this point, I'd expect them to finish of at the end of the arc, but I'm not sure how they'll make it seem like a strong finish for a season.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

161 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 24, 8:32 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

162 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 23, 3:29 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

168 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 22, 8:05 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.