Forum Settings
Forums

Family-friendly anime? (As in, for a family that isn't really into anime)

New
Feb 17, 2017 9:56 PM

Oct 2016
Sometimes when my family watches tv shows together in the evenings what I really want to do is watch some anime, but I can't because I can't think of anything that would work.
My family doesn't watch anime, and my youngest sibling is only 11 while I am in high school. But tamer shows such as Pokemon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Yumeiro Patisserie wouldn't work because they're aimed for a younger and/or female audience, and my family watches things like The Flash and White Collar. Not too intense but not too tame, either.
Since they don't watch anime, the more popular ones like, say, Ouran High School Host Club or Blue Exorcist wouldn't work because of some anime tendencies that bother the rest of the world. I tried Detective Conan but that didn't work between subtitles and YouTube.
We enjoy genres such as Comedy, Mystery, Slice-of-Life, Fantasy, Sci-fi, and some Romance (not too much because my brothers are still in the Doesn't-See-Girls-In-That-Way stage). Tragedy and violence are iffy. Ecchi and horror are a no-no.
As a result of all this, I can't seem to find anything on my own. Any ideas? :)
ElleGraceFeb 17, 2017 11:33 PM
set made by Ale, circa 2016
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 17, 2017 10:07 PM

Mar 2016
one punch man or attack on titan would be pretty good choices

if you're talking about a non-anime fan you should also try to find something with good dubs as a non-anime fan will enjoy it more that way
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2017 10:12 PM

Sep 2016
You can probably try Wolf Children Movie.
Feb 17, 2017 10:13 PM

Oct 2014
Ghibli is the way to go. It's very family friendly and it's even licensed in a way that's intended for general audiences rather than anime fans. My mom really liked Tsumiki no Ie so you could try that. I bet Wolf Children and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 would also settle well with non-anime fans. It all depends on their taste, though. Just don't show parody/deconstruction anime or very Japanese anime like Saki and Chihayafuru first thing.
Feb 17, 2017 10:22 PM

Oct 2015
One Punch Man = superman that is lazy
My Hero Academia = Xmen kids in school
Death Parade = for the more quizzical kind of people
Jojo Bizzare Adventure = comic book brought to life
Ping Pong the Animation = if they like sports they'll love the philosophy behind this
Space Dandy = Rick and Morty

also all these have good DUBS to them so there's that option as well

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Feb 17, 2017 10:27 PM

Oct 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
Ghibli is the way to go. It's very family friendly and it's even licensed in a way that's intended for general audiences rather than anime fans. My mom really liked Tsumiki no Ie so you could try that. I bet Wolf Children and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 would also settle well with non-anime fans. It all depends on their taste, though. Just don't show parody/deconstruction anime or very Japanese anime like Saki and Chihayafuru first thing.

That's true. Thank you! :)
We have watched a few Miyazaki movies together, it's just that we don't usually have time for movies. :)
Feb 17, 2017 10:41 PM

Sep 2015
I'd recommend something along the lines Usagi Drop, Beck, Barakmon, Wolf Children, etc.
Feb 17, 2017 10:42 PM

Oct 2016
PraetorPat said:

also all these have good DUBS to them so there's that option as well

Yes, that's very helpful.
Although, I think I should clarify (not just because of the user I'm quoting, a few others, too). My youngest sibling is only 11, so when I say "family-friendly", I still sort of mean the usual definition. The difference being: Something people unused to anime can deal with, and something a family with both genders and a wide age-range (I'm in high school) can watch without someone being compromised.
We enjoy genres such as Comedy, Mystery, Slice-of-Life, Fantasy, Sci-fi, and some Romance (not too much because my brothers are still in the Doesn't-See-Girls-In-That-Way stage). Tragedy and violence are iffy. Ecchi and horror are a no-no. Probably should've mentioned that earlier. Sorry. I've edited the original post to include that.
ElleGraceFeb 17, 2017 10:46 PM
Feb 17, 2017 10:49 PM

Oct 2016
ya_hallo said:
I'd recommend something along the lines Usagi Drop, Beck, Barakmon, Wolf Children, etc.

Thank you! I looked those up and some of them seem like possibilities. :)
I'm hearing a lot of Wolf Children; that is actually one I was aware of, it's just that it is a movie, so it's living in the back of my mind on this subject along with many other Ghibli movies. :)
Feb 17, 2017 10:50 PM

Sep 2013
The only thing I can think of at the moment are either the Studio Ghibli movies, Madoka Magica, Mob Psycho 100, Wolf Children, Summer Wars, or The Little Witch Academia movies. You might want to look into these titles as I haven't seen some of them in a long time.

Hope these titles work out for ya!
Feb 17, 2017 11:01 PM

Dec 2015
umm, do you guys use Netflix, Hulu or Crunchryoll?
no
Feb 17, 2017 11:06 PM

Oct 2016
Roronoa said:
umm, do you guys use Netflix, Hulu or Crunchryoll?

We use Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube (not usually for shows, but it has access to our tv). :) Personally, I also use kissanime, but that doesn't work in this situation because it can't connect to our tv. (I do have a personal code when it comes to illegal streaming, before anyone worries me about it.)
ElleGraceFeb 17, 2017 11:31 PM
Feb 17, 2017 11:11 PM

Mar 2015
Would recommend movies like Summer Wars or Wolf Children. Dunno about Wolf Children, but I remember watching Summer Wars in English dub when I was twelve and thinking that the dubs were quite good. While both are worth watching and about family bonds, I would recommend Summer Wars because it has a bit of comedy in it and is more action-oriented.

As for an anime series, am seconding One-Punch Man, Boku no Hero Academia and Mob Psycho 100.
Feb 17, 2017 11:16 PM

Jun 2014
A new anime that is airing that you might find appealing is Little Witch Academia. I rec trying the movies too because its a good ride!

I would rec kid titles as Kamisama Cocotama and Digimon Universe and Aikatsu Stars, but I don't think you seek kiddy anime.
Feb 17, 2017 11:30 PM

Oct 2016
Kagami said:
I would rec kid titles as Kamisama Cocotama and Digimon Universe and Aikatsu Stars, but I don't think you seek kiddy anime.

It depends on the 'kiddy anime'. Sometimes, anime geared towards kids has enough of a deeper level to it that I don't think it would be an issue, but other times, you can tell, like Pokémon. No offense meant to Pokémon. It's fine, it's just more obviously geared towards kids.
Feb 17, 2017 11:43 PM
Jun 2016
Yeah, I think they could enjoy one punch man or boku no hero academia, my dad likes it so I think they could like it as well :) Little witch academia also has a light Harry Potter feel to it.
Feb 17, 2017 11:45 PM

Nov 2016
Usagi Drop is a good one. Also Nichijou.
Feb 18, 2017 12:33 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Thread moved from Anime Discussion
Feb 18, 2017 12:52 AM
Aug 2011
punkrockrobot said:
The only thing I can think of at the moment are either the Studio Ghibli movies, Madoka Magica, Mob Psycho 100, Wolf Children, Summer Wars, or The Little Witch Academia movies. You might want to look into these titles as I haven't seen some of them in a long time.

Hope these titles work out for ya!

I second mob psycho but I definitely wouldn't watch madoka with your whole family. I tried watching it with my little brother who is the same age as yours and he was very very bored..... then very very scared.
Feb 18, 2017 11:47 AM

Nov 2016
rosurose said:
I second mob psycho but I definitely wouldn't watch madoka with your whole family. I tried watching it with my little brother who is the same age as yours and he was very very bored..... then very very scared.

Your brother has no taste if he was bored of such a masterpiece.
Feb 18, 2017 1:20 PM

Oct 2016
Pixel_Vapour said:
rosurose said:

Your brother has no taste if he was bored of such a masterpiece.

Thank you, @rosurose! That is one of the things I'm trying to keep in mind with all of this. :)
Please be kind, @Pixel_Vapour. These are 11-yr-old children. They are still growing mentally and physically and still learning what they enjoy and what they don't. Also, different people enjoy different things. :) Thank you for your suggestions!
Thank you, @punkrockrobot, @Viburnum, @Mariecat1, and @Kagami! :)
Feb 18, 2017 1:39 PM

Mar 2015
you need comedy sol. that's right. you should definitely try barakamon or silver spoon or like all studio gibli collection. Perfect anime to watch as family
Feb 18, 2017 2:18 PM

Oct 2016
Thank you, @muthubasha! :)
Feb 18, 2017 2:19 PM

Jun 2016
Steins;Gate Will probably work.
Feb 18, 2017 2:29 PM

Oct 2016
jak said:
Berserk. Definitely Berserk.

Hahahahahahahaha!
...I assume you are joking, @jak? My apologies if not. :)

Thank you, @IcyGlacier! I've seen that around before; it is one that I am more likely to check out for myself rather than with my family. The suggestion does makes it float more towards the front rather than the back of my mind, though. :)
Feb 18, 2017 2:39 PM

Oct 2012
Hey yo I think something casual is much more fitting, like e.g. Ghibli movies.
You will want to show them something that is for once something familiar, not too unknown, while obviously still being anime so they get hooked on the medium.

Ill just list some already mentioned ones, who I can agree with

Barakamon (comedic with a tinge of drama)
Little Witch Academia (very child-friendly)
D-Frag (comedic)
Senyuu (short, comedic)
Natsume Yuujinchou (tearjerker)
Flying Witch (very relaxing)

I just wanted to add that I think it is really sweet that you are trying to hook your family while being very considerate. Good job!
Feb 18, 2017 2:55 PM

Oct 2016
Tiyelle said:

I just wanted to add that I think it is really sweet that you are trying to hook your family while being very considerate. Good job!

Thank you, @Tiyelle! That's really nice of you. :)
Feb 19, 2017 3:43 AM

Nov 2016
Ah sorry I guess that was uncalled for @ElleGrace. Maybe when they get older they will appreciate how good Madoka really is.
Feb 19, 2017 3:47 AM
Dec 2014
Maybe go with:
Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Usagi Drop
One Punch Man
Barakamon
Boku no Hero Academia
Death Note maybe.
Feb 19, 2017 4:00 AM

Jan 2015
+ Usagi Drop

Hanasaku Iroha
Great Teacher Onizuka
Kotonoha no Niwa
Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette
Flying Witch
Nodame Cantabile
DamanksFeb 19, 2017 4:04 AM

Feb 19, 2017 10:32 AM

Jun 2016
There are people who are much better qualified to anwser this question then me.
But I just couldn't stop when I saw nobody mention:

Mushishi
Feb 19, 2017 1:09 PM

Apr 2010
Gekkan shoujou nozaki-kun is a comedy, so may fit.

Ikoku no meiro croise is a seinen but is rated G (nothing sexual or violent).

Feb 19, 2017 1:22 PM

Jan 2014
+1 on Ghibli films. They're family-friendly, except the ones that involve death.. obviously.

If not, then you can just look for anime with good dubs, such as:
- Steins;Gate
- Soul Eater
- Fate/Zero
- Baccano!
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Maybe even something like Fairy Tail?
I don't know.. it depends on their taste.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Feb 19, 2017 3:10 PM

Oct 2016
Thank you for apologizing, @Pixel_Vapour. :)
Thank you for the suggestions, @thehewson, @Damanks, @XAnima13X, @EfiChan, and @Zelev! Everyone has been a big help. :)
Feb 19, 2017 4:24 PM

Aug 2011
Well, speaking from experience, I got one of my cousins who'd never watched anime before pretty much hooked on Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (the dub version).

My little sister, who's more of a casual watcher, really loves Baccano! (the dub), Steins;Gate & Death Note.

Also, when I was in high school, around my last year, I found people who had never talked about anime getting really into it because of Attack on Titan, so there's that.
Feb 20, 2017 9:41 AM

May 2012
My first choice would be Uchuu Kyoudai about two brothers who want to become astronauts. It has adult protagonists but appeals to kids as well. It aired in Japan in two kid-friendly time slots, early Sunday morning and late Saturday afternoon. The music video for the first OP, "Feel So Moon," emphasizes its all-ages appeal: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs0g3n_feel-so-moon_music

Unfortunately for you it streams on Crunchyroll. If you have a PS3/PS4 connected to the TV, you can watch CR through that. You can sign up for a two-week free trial which would give you a chance to view the large catalog available. Subtitles only though.

Of the shows streaming on Netflix, the only one I can suggest is Magi. Still your parents would need to be okay with young Aladdin's tendency to smoosh his face between the breasts of amply-endowed women. Other than that there is nothing especially objectionable. For instance, Morgiana wears a "magic skirt" that reveals nothing even when she vaults into the air and is updside down.

I browsed the offerings for anime on Amazon Prime and didn't find anything worth recommending. Amazon has moved a lot of anime to its new "Amazon Strike" tier which costs another $5/month on top of a Prime subscription with a free seven-day trial. I was stunned to see Nodame Cantabile there, which has never been legally available in North America since Sony dropped it from its Crackle service. Amazon has both the dubbed and subtitled versions. You and your parents might like this story about aspiring classical musicians, but it would probably bore an eleven-year-old.

Full Metal Alchemist with the dub is available on Strike as well.
SeijiSenseiFeb 20, 2017 9:49 AM
Feb 20, 2017 10:27 AM

Oct 2016
Thank you, @kstadtfeld and @SeijiSensei! :)
Feb 20, 2017 10:44 AM

Oct 2013
You need suttin they can connect to. Going str8 into the anime world is not ognna work and OUR anime gateway anime are not gonna work (eg. Death Note) It has to seem more realistic or more mature and quick to engage people, especially parents who will not see cartoons the same way as us.

I'd say....

Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
Beck - I'm not too sure about this one tbh, it features some cussing too in English regardless if its sub or dub.
Cross Game - Might be a lil slow for em but they might get hooked after seeing the ed of episode 1
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki - Not sure about this but its a very good movie
Colorful (Movie)
Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Death Billiards - 25 minute short movie that'll have em guessing wtf is going on and STILL have em debating n questioning the end.
Studio Ghibli Movies - There like the universal anime studio for all ages that can enjoy. Family friendly, not too kiddish but not too adult, tends to hit the middle ground.

Make sure you tell them what each anime is like in tersm of content n shit and also for future reference, I'd suggest you should stick to movies as there short and sweet where as a series wlll take time to get into. You need to have click right into it.
TheNoseOfDeathFeb 20, 2017 10:50 AM
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Feb 20, 2017 7:44 PM

Oct 2016
Thank you very much, @daAmazinFatB0y! :)
Feb 20, 2017 8:01 PM

May 2012
Another good movie option is Summer Wars. It has a lot of material about family ties, and some well-animated sequences that take place in an online world. You can rent it from Amazon for $4, and It has a dub.

My avatar comes from this film.
SeijiSenseiFeb 20, 2017 8:05 PM
Feb 20, 2017 10:14 PM

Oct 2016
Thank you again, @SeijiSensei! I think our library has it in which case we still pay but it's about $3 cheaper. :)
Which makes me happy. I really want to see that one myself, family aside. :)
Feb 21, 2017 4:01 PM

Oct 2016
Thank you for the abundance of suggestions, @silverwhirlwind! :)
Feb 21, 2017 4:12 PM

Mar 2014
One Punch man
Steins Gate
Akame Ga Kill (only reason I'm putting this here is because I had a friend that wasn't into anime but enjoyed this one a lot. Not saying the same applies to others because I still wonder why was this so special to him)
Feb 21, 2017 4:26 PM

Oct 2016
Thank you, @L0bsterman! (That comment made me laugh, by the way.)
Feb 22, 2017 6:23 AM

May 2012
I'll toss out one other possibility, Time Travel Shoujo: Mari Waka to 8-nin no Kagakusha-tachi, an educational sci-fi comedy about discoveries in electricity and magnetism. Mari travels through time in search of her missing father and encounters men like Edison, Franklin, and Hertz along the way. Here's the first episode at YouTube; the rest streams at Funimation.

Feb 22, 2017 6:40 AM

Apr 2015
Do you prefer dubs or subtitles for them?

Someone recommended Beck, which might be fine in the original Japanese but there are a lot of F-bombs in the English dub.

My little sister loved Keroro Gunsou/Sgt. Frog and Azumanga Daioh, despite not really liking anime at all.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 22, 2017 9:35 AM

Jul 2015
According to the genres you mentionned, I'd say Aria? That's not what I'd show to people who start watching anime, but take a look at that one.

also
https://myanimelist.net/anime/3167/Eve_no_Jikan
The main characters find a bar where androids and humans are treated as equal.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/28735/Shouwa_Genroku_Rakugo_Shinjuu
Two dudes try to keep rakugo alive in a post-WWII Japan. Give that one a chance, it's actually quite funny on top of being awesome.

Millenium Actress and Tokyo's Godfathers from Kon are good picks too.
Feb 22, 2017 9:59 AM

Aug 2016
SenpieX said:
You can probably try Wolf Children Movie.

bestiality xdddd
Feb 22, 2017 10:08 AM

May 2013
Ghost in the Shell (1995)?

+1 for Full Metal Alchemist (surprised only one person mentioned it)

Code Geass (has a couple romantic moments and a kiss scene or two), it's a Mecha anime and a very good one which I would classify as second only to the Gundam and Evangelion series when talking about mecha.

Maybe Hatakaru Maou Sama aka The Devil is a Part Timer?

All anime I've provided have English dubs and they're all good in my opinion, can't say for certain about Hatakaru Maou Sama though because I never re-watched it completely in english dub.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» short shonen anime recommendations, max 2 seasons

Mari_NN - 6 hours ago

6 by AzafuseKingTora »»
2 minutes ago

» Can someone please put me on to some sad anime

Fischer77 - Apr 19

15 by Khashishi »»
6 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Apr 25

13 by Khashishi »»
7 hours ago

» Best horror anime?

Matteye - Apr 27

17 by Matteye »»
Today, 8:48 AM

» For romance anime fans....I NEED YOUR HELP.

Animystics - Apr 28

2 by JoeChip »»
Today, 7:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.