Forum Settings
Forums

Turkish referendum might allow Erdogan to be president til 2029

New
Feb 10, 2017 7:26 PM
Jul 2018
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/10/turkeys-president-erdogan-approves-constitutional-boost-to-his-powers?CMP=twt_a-world_b-gdnworld

Turkey’s president has approved a bill granting him broad new powers under an executive presidential system, paving the way for a referendum in mid-April on the proposed changes.

The 18-article bill was passed by parliament last month without garnering the two-thirds majority needed to become law. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s approval allows the proposed constitutional changes to go to a public vote.

Senior Turkish officials have said the referendum is likely to take place on 16 April.

The constitutional overhaul would allow Erdoğan to run for two more terms in office, potentially governing as a powerful executive until 2029.

If this passes he should stop hiding what he wants and just call himself a Sultan already.
removed-userFeb 10, 2017 7:29 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 10, 2017 8:02 PM

Mar 2008
What would it take for it to not pass?
Feb 10, 2017 8:14 PM
Jul 2018
traed said:
What would it take for it to not pass?
The Turkish Miliary has a history of getting rid of Presidents who try to turn it into a Neo-Ottoman Empire, if they did a coup...oh wait they tried that.

All Hail Erdogan, Caliph of Islam, Commander of the Faithful, Padishah, Sultan of the Neo-Ottoman Empire, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques then.
removed-userFeb 10, 2017 8:18 PM
Feb 10, 2017 8:35 PM

May 2010
Nice knowing you Turkey.
Feb 10, 2017 8:44 PM

Nov 2008
That referendum will allow a regressive tyrant to rule the country, get him out of office, he's done nothing but horrific things recently.

Feb 10, 2017 9:30 PM

Aug 2010
Oh my God. That is some seriously dangerous shit. A guy like him with that much power, lets not forget he's blackmailing the EU as well. Jesus.

Just when I thought 2017 was just going to be about the french presidential election, this shit just blows it out of the water in terms of priorities.
Feb 10, 2017 9:44 PM

Dec 2014
They call anyone not voting yes terorist sypmatizer even though they were the ones ramping up terror, stealing, cheating, lying. They ruined almost everything about the country. They recently removed many academics for supporting fethullah gulen. These academics were fighting their whole lives against islamists and for kids to have a bright future yet when erdoğan says they are feto, people do not question. What a fucking joke. Whole country is a playground for one man.
Feb 11, 2017 9:38 AM

Jan 2012
@ThRippJck

@Hoppy people do like him

anyway we need to retake Constantinople

Feb 11, 2017 9:42 AM
Feb 11, 2017 10:56 AM
Feb 2016
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck that guy.

Feb 11, 2017 8:27 PM

Dec 2007
This was so obvious the only surprise was it took this long for it to come out. It was clear from the response to the coup attempt that Erdogan intended to become an elected dictator. All he needs to do is consolidate his imperial powers and declare himself emperor.
Feb 11, 2017 8:30 PM
Mar 2011
yet turkey te allowed in nato trump fucked up on one of this promise amd that was sort out nato
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 11, 2017 8:39 PM

Mar 2015
kemal will laugh in his graveyard hearing this...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 12, 2017 12:39 AM

Mar 2014
The Islamic Republic of Turkey

Inb4 Erdoğan legalizes polygamy and pedophilia
Neane93 said:
The Turkish Miliary has a history of getting rid of Presidents who try to turn it into a Neo-Ottoman Empire, if they did a coup...oh wait they tried that.
Which reminds me... is there any chance of the military recovering?

Because oh boy oh boy I don't want no Islamic republic near the European border
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 12, 2017 5:56 AM

Feb 2012
Isn't Turkey like 98% Muslim anyways, so what's the problem.

If this is the people's will, then be it, let the man rule.
Feb 12, 2017 6:41 AM

Aug 2015
Comic_Sans said:
The Islamic Republic of Turkey

Inb4 Erdoğan legalizes polygamy and pedophilia
Neane93 said:
Which reminds me... is there any chance of the military recovering?

Because oh boy oh boy I don't want no Islamic republic near the European border
Not really the coup was set up by erdogan himself to get rid of military so that he can run things smoothly.
Feb 13, 2017 9:22 AM

Dec 2007
Ramkec said:

Yes, he was democratically elected. But so was Chavez. As soon as democratic institutions are undermined, the "will of the people" argument dies instantly. You can't point to the "will of the people" when that will is being suppressed. Incarcerating tens of thousands of people whose only points in common are government service (or being public figures) and having advocated different views from the ruling party - well that goes far beyond just undermining the democratic institutions. Mass incarcerations of political prisoners can't occur in a functioning democracy. If they do happen, it can only be a formerly functioning democracy.

The question of legitimacy is thus already settled - he is a tyrant by the proper definition of the word (arguably both definitions). The real question is whether Erdogan is actually going to rule as an Islamist, or if he was merely using them to gain power.
ErwinJAFeb 13, 2017 9:25 AM
Feb 14, 2017 10:31 AM

Dec 2014
Ramkec said:

He lies so easily and without a care and uses religion immensely, he created a dumbfuck generation in this age who use everything modern age bring while cursing at it. Some hijabi girls curse at regular women while forgetting it was actually those women who brought them every right. This arrogant but completely devoid of any sense or reason attitude is their youth.
Feb 14, 2017 10:59 AM

Jul 2009
Till 2029, only? Why not go all the way and make it till he die, or get killed, and why not make the one who killed him take the crown?!
Oh wait...
Feb 14, 2017 11:05 AM

Sep 2013
War is on the horizon so they can't afford to change leaders anymore.
Feb 15, 2017 2:48 AM

Mar 2009
Yes! Yes! Yes! Give that idiot more power!
Make him feel confident to do something really stupid.
That will be his downfall and he's gonna drag his entire country down with him.
Long overdue...
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Feb 15, 2017 3:18 PM

Aug 2014
Turkey wants their Ottoman empire influence back.

Sultan 101 Russian error found, please abort operation immediately.
Feb 15, 2017 10:41 PM

Dec 2007
yurkin said:
Till 2029, only? Why not go all the way and make it till he die, or get killed, and why not make the one who killed him take the crown?!
Oh wait...
By then elections will only be a sham, but he'll still be able to hold a veneer of legitimacy by continuing to hold them. Kind of like those Egyptian, Venezuelan, etc. dictators who were regularly "reelected."
Feb 21, 2017 6:53 PM

Feb 2017
He is already powerfull. When he turns the system to presidentship it wont change much. The important thing is, he will be able to cover evry bad shit he did in the past... lets say 13-15 years. He will erase evrything and he wont be able to be judged.

If the people from Turkey want to blame on something. Blame it on the people that kept voting for him the past 12+ years and the other party's like mhp / chp not doing much to prevent bad things happening to TR atm.

People talk about sultan or ottoman w/e you can call. This has nothing to do with that, its much more complex if you dont know whats happening
BallardoFeb 21, 2017 6:59 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.