Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 22, 2016 2:09 PM

Oct 2014
How can you detect one? I feel like irl sometimes I may be looked at as pretentious because of my engulfing intelligence. But I don't mean to intimidate.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 22, 2016 2:10 PM

Dec 2016
I'll show you something engulfing.

*unzips*
Dec 22, 2016 2:11 PM

Jun 2015
Nah, everyone respects and admires your intelligence.

Anyway, it's not really hard to tell when someone really doesn't know what they are talking about.

Dec 22, 2016 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
People who make spelling mistakes in their profile such as that @mochakawaiibear guy can be considered a pseudo-intellectual.
Dec 22, 2016 2:18 PM
Mar 2016
99% of the time, anyone who thinks they're an intellectual is most likely a pseudo intellectual

user5265111Dec 22, 2016 2:22 PM
Dec 22, 2016 2:20 PM

Oct 2014
codephat said:

Anyway, it's not really hard to tell when someone really doesn't know what they are talking about.
Thank you so much.

@redcloud those are intentional and ironic, made to be humourous
Dec 22, 2016 2:25 PM

May 2013
Anyone who actually thinks about things is technically an intellectual. The 'intelligence' is just like the fluid aspect of consciousness.

But your true pseudo intellectual is someone who's trying hard to come off as some great thinker, but instead is more like some asshat who drinks too much coffee.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Dec 22, 2016 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
mochakawaiibear said:
codephat said:

Thank you so much.

@redcloud those are intentional and ironic, made to be humourous

Sound like pseudo-intellectual excuse to me :^)
Dec 22, 2016 2:27 PM
Mar 2016
xrockxz89 said:
Anyone who actually thinks about things is technically an intellectual. The 'intelligence' is just like the fluid aspect of consciousness.

But your true pseudo intellectual is someone who's trying hard to come off as some great thinker, but instead is more like some asshat who drinks too much coffee.
everyone thinks about things. by that definition, we're all intellectuals, and so the intellectual category has no logical meaning, lmao
Dec 22, 2016 2:27 PM

May 2014
Someone who enjoys sounding smart.
I've been here way too long...
Dec 22, 2016 2:28 PM

May 2013
Argument-Sake said:
xrockxz89 said:

everyone thinks about things. by that definition, we're all intellectuals, and so the intellectual category has no logical meaning, lmao

yeah like you'd better be an intellectual lol

but actually, I think some people think more 'automatically,' not everyone really ponders things.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Dec 22, 2016 2:28 PM

Oct 2012
Easy! Ask them if they have a degree in anything!

If they don't, apply the necessary burns to light their paper-thin ego on fire ^.~

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 22, 2016 2:29 PM

Mar 2014
Take a look in the mirror and I'm sure you'll be able to detect one
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 22, 2016 2:36 PM

Dec 2015
TheConquerer said:
Someone who enjoys sounding smart.

People who try to sound smart are just the worst. That's why I always try my hardest to sound stupid.
Dec 22, 2016 2:49 PM

Oct 2014
@shoryu that's when I hit them with a shoryuken

@comic_sans VIP shitposter. uh yeah don't make me get foolish uh yeah I'll make you look stupid
Dec 22, 2016 2:56 PM

Aug 2016
Shoryu said:
Easy! Ask them if they have a degree in anything!

If they don't, apply the necessary burns to light their paper-thin ego on fire ^.~

I'm 15. Am I expected to have a college degree?
Dec 22, 2016 3:22 PM

Jan 2009
anyone that believes and preaches pseudoscience like astrology
Dec 22, 2016 3:28 PM

Apr 2015
I mean like the whole point of a pseudo-intellectual is that they're egocentric and narcissistic so if you're unsure whether or not they're a pseudo-intellectual, they're probably not one.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Dec 22, 2016 3:33 PM

Feb 2010
doubt smart people care if others think that they are smart, they have more important goals in life imo
Dec 22, 2016 4:23 PM

Sep 2012
you'll learn to spot them if you browse reddit enough

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Dec 22, 2016 4:31 PM

Feb 2015
OP, I'll agree in what @Comic_Sans have to say, to be honest, in what world- and why would you put this shit anyway? Just keep it to yourself...xD

Much better than roasting someone that will just roast you. Probably.
Dec 22, 2016 4:56 PM

Sep 2012
Anyone who has an annoyingly in-your-face vocabulary, those who cling on to maturity stereotypes, or has a habit of looking down on large amounts of people to buff up their ego is probably overcompensating with pseudo-intellectual bullshit as well.

(Yes I look down on League players but that's mostly due to pure salt.)

You will find a lot of these kind of people on places like MAL, where the environment caters to your average asocial person. If you feel out of place socially and you're insecure, naturally you'll want to cling onto what makes you feel good.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Dec 22, 2016 6:25 PM

Sep 2009
Anyone who identifies themselves as a "Classical Liberal".
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Dec 22, 2016 7:45 PM

Aug 2014
Korrvo said:
Anyone who has an annoyingly in-your-face vocabulary, those who cling on to maturity stereotypes, or has a habit of looking down on large amounts of people to buff up their ego is probably overcompensating with pseudo-intellectual bullshit as well.

(Yes I look down on League players but that's mostly due to pure salt.)

You will find a lot of these kind of people on places like MAL, where the environment caters to your average asocial person. If you feel out of place socially and you're insecure, naturally you'll want to cling onto what makes you feel good.

Korrvo pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Basically anyone who tries to make themselves look smarter or superior while simultaneously putting others down to make themselves look even better by comparison is probably some sort of pseudo-intellectual asshat.

The Pseudo part of Pseudo-intellectual can also become obvious if they have no idea what half of the words they're using actually mean.
Dec 23, 2016 5:11 AM

Mar 2013
AnnoKano said:

Anyone who believes that their political ideology is objectively correct without any evidence
Dec 23, 2016 7:02 AM

Aug 2012
Anyone who sounds like me is positively a pseudo-intellectual.
Dec 23, 2016 7:04 AM
Mar 2013
People who try too hard to sound smart
Dec 23, 2016 7:10 AM

Jul 2016
The ones who call others pseudo-intellectuals. I was called that on a Zelda hacking forum, but then I posted my findings to prove I actually figured out how Link's animations worked in the N64 games.
Dec 23, 2016 7:25 AM

Aug 2013
It's pretty easy to spot when someone is talking about something he knows nothing about.
Copy one of their sentences into google. They tend to copy shit from random places and steal from other peoples posts and blogs.
Also, they speak in a very condescending way, even tho their own arguments(which are very rare) lack basic structure.

I really like this one definition from Urban Dictionary:
"Can probably be found with a thesaurus in hand, while in a chat room, looking up new insults that are synonymous with "stupid" in order to boost his or her own undeserved ego."
Dec 23, 2016 8:08 AM

Jan 2015
codephat said:
Stop it, he doesn't understand sarcasm.
Dec 23, 2016 8:09 AM

Nov 2015
There are no pseudo intellectuals. Only bad attempts at being intellectual. And if you can't tell them apart, then under the right circumstances, you are one yourself.
Dec 23, 2016 8:21 AM

Sep 2016
zippidyzipthree said:
I'll show you something engulfing.

*unzips*

Yikes! Try some manscaping, then your bush won't be engulfing anymore ;-)
Dec 23, 2016 8:53 AM

Sep 2009
Ivich said:
AnnoKano said:

Anyone who believes that their political ideology is objectively correct without any evidence

Anyone who thinks that it's possible for an ideology to be 'objective' or 'correct'.

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."

Dec 23, 2016 9:49 AM

Jun 2016
People who try to get the high ground in debates by using redundantly complicated and obscure vocabulary, that's the most obvious one among many other signs.
There's a time and place for everything, and that applies to vocabulary as well.
Dec 23, 2016 10:16 AM

Mar 2016
The people I would consider to fit into this category are the ones who purposely use uncommon and high-level vocabulary to confuse the other parties in a debate rather than relying on their own argumentative points themselves.

Or just the ones that talk big all the time but can't properly communicate their point, lack reading comprehension and barely manage to counter argue. Don't jump into a debate if you can't hold your own. Although I do enjoy lurking around and seeing these people lol.
Dec 23, 2016 11:20 AM

Aug 2013
A pseudo-intellectual to me is somebody who is arrogant/conceited and purposely uses unclear language and esoteric vocabulary in order to fool others into thinking that they know what they're talking about, which is meant to disguise their faulty reasoning and logic. They do this because they want to showcase their intelligence and receive positive affirmations. In contrast, most intelligent people don't care too much about showing off, because they don't have the same level of insecurity or attention seeking that the pseudo-intellectuals do. You can say that a legitimately wise and intelligent person engages in discussions for the sake of gaining knowledge, while the pseudo-intellectual does so because they are more interested in winning the discussion/argument, rather than seeking a meaningful discussion that yields new knowledge or truth. Pseudo-intellectual doesn't necessarily equal to "unintelligent," though, so if you're unfamiliar about the topic that they're going on about, it can be difficult to expose them behind the wall of bullshit that they're presenting; it is easiest to detect one when your knowledge exceeds theirs.
MoogDec 23, 2016 12:33 PM
Dec 23, 2016 12:07 PM

Dec 2009
@mochakawaiibear
Detecting pseudo-intellectuals is either one of 2 things:
1) You know more than them, thus once they say something false, it's obvious.
2) An art of tracing necessitative arguments as opposed to being dazzled by pretentious arguments.

I'd say a notable indicator, is whether what they say actually bears fruit, or whether they're just flapping lips. It's really not hard to tell if someone is technobabbling or legitimately talking about something that is well beyond you, because it has sophisticated structure, and implications beyond your line of sight.

Most obvious indicator is this: they choose words, or twist your words for the sake of winning an argument, and have no clear interest in the underlying truth. A mutual discussion to find truth is called a dialectic, one in which controversies are compared is a debate, one in which someone seeks to feel better about themselves through victory, is an argument. If they are arguing, they're dumb, even if they happen to have coincidentally intelligent information. The wise person takes the coincidentally useful information without the awareness of the arguer, then moves on.

Be careful not to let random pseudo-intellectuals give opinions on what they think pseudo-intellectuals are like (thinking they are not one of them). Personally, i'm a scientist and natural philosopher, but i'll let you decide whether you think my words hold water.
GenesisAriaDec 23, 2016 12:47 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 23, 2016 12:14 PM

Apr 2015
What makes it easiest to tell is the way they speak/type. Psuedo-intellectuals make their sentences super unnecessarily complex and awkward to make themselves sound smarter, and to try to make their points seem more valid.
Dec 23, 2016 1:03 PM

Mar 2013
AnnoKano said:
Anyone who thinks that it's possible for an ideology to be 'objective' or 'correct'.

You seem pretty convinced that liberalism is objectivity incorrect
Dec 23, 2016 1:11 PM

Sep 2012
AnnoKano said:
Ivich said:

My anime taste in anime is objectively better than yours
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Dec 23, 2016 1:14 PM

Nov 2015
Blahkabelison said:
What makes it easiest to tell is the way they speak/type. Psuedo-intellectuals make their sentences super unnecessarily complex and awkward to make themselves sound smarter, and to try to make their points seem more valid.

99.99% of the time, people who complain about complex vocabulary are just illiterate. I don't think that's a good criteria to go by.
Dec 23, 2016 1:15 PM

Oct 2012
I define pseudo intellectuals as:
-Using platitudes (e.g. Eastern philosophy sayings that you find on inspiration websites) as if they're deep
-Passing stuff they've read off verbatim as if it's their own thought
-Using big words to pass off for lack of content
-Claiming wrong facts that they've discovered through "independent study" of unreliable sources
-Attempting to make arguments that are either clearly fallacious or vague, in the sense that he is unable to make progress in clarifying them

It's actually quite easy to tell if someone is doing this most of the time, but it requires you to be intellectual in some things to spot an imposter. Pseudo-intellectuals prey on the ignorant.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 23, 2016 1:34 PM

Dec 2016
So you can find out that the kid who you suspect is the Pseudo-Intellectual really is by these reasons.

1. If you are in a on-going forum chat where people post every 4~10 seconds, you'll see that the "Smart" kid takes like an hour to post that results in the comment making no sense or meaning.

2. They use "But I digress" a lot, but I digress.

3. They always try to justify themselves when they are caught wrong. For instance, he/she says "I have become aware of the verity that what I have divulged was unerring. Cease your idiotic acts. The fact that you said that she was acting like an imbecile concludes that you called her stupid." Translation: I realized that what I got into was concluded by all-mighty me. Stop acting stupid. Since you said that she acted like a idiot basically mean that you called her actually stupid.

4. They usually get REALLY mad when they can't answer your request of "What does it mean then?"

5. From the one on the top, they usually link you to Dictionary.com

6. You can beat the shit out of them in the "Comment War" by asking what Etc stands for/what it means. (Et cetera)
Religion is a parasite, and the only way to exterminate it is to accept facts that can be proven by regular every day activities.
Dec 23, 2016 2:38 PM

Oct 2014
@genesisaria have you met any of said fellows on this site? I also saw a lot of your responses in the science thread so I think your words hold plenty of weight.
Dec 23, 2016 2:40 PM

Oct 2012
mochakawaiibear said:
@genesisaria have you met any of said fellows on this site? I also saw a lot of your responses in the science thread so I think your words hold plenty of weight.
I hope you're satisfied GenesisAria in misleading children on the internet.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 23, 2016 2:46 PM

Oct 2014
katsucats said:
mochakawaiibear said:
I hope you're satisfied GenesisAria in misleading children on the internet.
Do you not believe the words they say? I think they're a good person
Dec 23, 2016 3:10 PM

Sep 2009
Ivich said:
AnnoKano said:

You seem pretty convinced that liberalism is objectivity incorrect

Not at all. I am liberal myself in some respects. The attempt to poipularise the label "classical liberal" in the modern era is what I object to.

As for claiming any ideology is objectively correct, that is just ridiculous.

Korrvo said:
AnnoKano said:

My anime taste in anime is objectively better than yours

You've got Clannad AS in your top five, so you are wrong.

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Dec 23, 2016 3:29 PM

Apr 2013
Dude my Facebook feed is full of those and I'm not even friends with any one of them. Fuck that shit. Everyone and their self-righteous ideals that hold no true value.

That's why I've resorted to making them all mad.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Dec 23, 2016 3:43 PM

Dec 2009
mochakawaiibear said:
Unfortunately i don't wish to point fingers, because my goal is never to be a victor of interpersonal conflicts, or to look down on individuals. Just pay close attention, and you'll figure it out.

I'll always side with truth, but not everyone has to; people can believe what they want, i just prefer to remind them that beliefs and facts don't belong in the same discussion. Facts don't refute beliefs, and beliefs don't refute facts. The only wrong is confusing them.
GenesisAriaDec 23, 2016 3:47 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 23, 2016 4:20 PM

Aug 2013
A pseudo-intellectual will care about how intelligent they sound, and only people that care about how intelligent they sound would go out of their way to talk deeply about stuff that is beyond them. Showing pretentiousness when they think they're being insightful and eloquent. Most of us are able to tell if we are making cogent points and arguments. The pseudo intellectual will disregard this, being more verbose or trying to use advanced grammar to compensate for their lack of good points.

Sometimes they become so deeply entrenched in their delusions that they lose sight of what makes a genuinely intelligent post. Pseudo-intellectuals value people believing their posts are intelligent as much as anything, so any attempts to criticise their approach and enlighten them of their pretentiousness can often end bitterly and to no avail. They can still often be fairly intelligent people, so I believe in a more careful and convincing way of giving them advice. Although I suppose it can depend on how pseudo-intellectual they are. I for one don't take pleasure in attacking a person's character just for the sake of it.

I used to be quite pseudo-intellectual, actually, though I'd like to think I've corrected most of that. When you have an advanced vocabulary and sense of grammar you naturally write in a way that can still be interpreted by some as being somewhat pretentious. I take pleasure in my writing so I still like to write about and debate issues on the forums from time to time, but I'm perfectly content talking without any big words and advanced punctuation. If I think the other person or community is going to judge me badly for it then I'll just abstain. I find MAL a pretty reasonable place for that sort of thing as long you're not being blatantly pretentious.
JustaCratDec 23, 2016 5:27 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

23 by Dracowyn »»
6 minutes ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
9 minutes ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

46 by Dracowyn »»
16 minutes ago

» Looking for friends | Cultural exchange and otaku conversations

KMIR - 18 minutes ago

0 by KMIR »»
18 minutes ago

» What jobs do you all have? ( 1 2 )

AnxiousMike - Feb 11, 2023

83 by Dracowyn »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.