Forum Settings
Forums

How important is the opening song in an anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 11, 2016 12:06 AM

Sep 2015
Aikatsu's OP helps me get into the mood for some fantastic idol fun. It gets me pumped up and excited. The ED also acts as like a final attack of awesomeness further solidifying my fondness of the show. Incredibly important.
Dec 11, 2016 12:13 AM

Dec 2013
A great Ed theme used in the last couple minutes of the Ep makes the biggest impact imo. NANA played this to perfection.
Dec 11, 2016 12:50 AM

Dec 2009
@vakho777
It depends on the show. Many anime just slap something in there and roll along with it.

For some anime it's incredibly important. As it handles a lot of important mood setting, or has important lyrics that are relevant to the plot (sometimes the song is even part of the story itself).

A well handled opening and ending can really define your memory of a series. It's hard to forget a really good opening that fits a series extremely well. After watching that anime, every time you hear that song (if you liked it enough you'd have downloaded the song) you will be reminded of that anime.

Anyone who thinks the OP/ED isn't important just hasn't figured it out yet.

>Just to name a few catchy lyric ones that anyone will have stuck in their head:
Churu chu chu chuchu churu chu, yes help you!
Shan ran ran~
Jibun wo!
Kibou ni Tsuite!
Sonna yasashiku shinai de~
Oo-oh, oo-oh, yeah, oo-oh, oo-oh, yeah~
I can hear my heart bell~
...Uchuu senkan~ YAMATO!
Pipiru piru pipiru pi~
Database database!
I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was!

(i bet most of you can identify most of those, if you've been around any anime within the last couple decades)
There's a lot more that are memorable for melody than lyric.
And that's not even including endings.

Some openings/endings are as or more famous than the shows themselves: ie Hare Hare Yukai.

These aren't referring to ones that are really plot relevant... You'd have to look at stuff like Madoka, and AKB and others i can't think of atm, where the songs were actually made by characters in the story, or when they put the OP and the end because of lyrical significance. it always depends how it's handled.

Japan takes OP's and ED's pretty seriously. They're not like western tv openings where they're just kinda there. They're joint selling music to promote the anime, and the anime to promote the music. And at times it becomes greater than the sum of it's parts.

Failing to acknowledge them, is failing to fully understand what anime is about.
GenesisAriaDec 11, 2016 11:51 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 11, 2016 1:23 AM

Jun 2016
Gensan said:
Not doing any advertisement for him at all

I don't even know who that is... but oh well I can't prove it...
Dec 11, 2016 1:39 AM

Aug 2016
KuroudoAkabane said:
Werty800 said:

You are using the wrong definition of filler. Find a different word.
You can just skip it though, and you are complaining how it takes time away from the anime itself. It does not.

For me, and a lot of other people, it's not worthless, it gets me hyped up for the episode, and I found a lot of anime through openings.
And music is subjective, so because you didn't like the songs they should be gone?
Come on. Don't be that guy.
I get some parts of what you're sayin, the 20 odd songs I do like I LOVE THEM, ok not all of em, maybe 10. they are also sung by the waifu's seiyuu, so thats why.

we're not gonna get in the what is filler mess now are we?
hax//

sure the fairytail ops do work the intended effect, the ones I liked, although its got better ending songs though.

HOW do you find anime by openings? that makes no sense to me......

and I cant skip them , cuz I watch anime on tv

I found anime by openings through youtube. It's not that hard to figure out.

If you watch anime on TV, then go pee or make a sandwitch in the meantime, or check on facebook or something else. ANYTHING. I usually do that too. I just have the music playing in the background if I don't like the visuals.
Werty800Dec 11, 2016 1:59 AM
Dec 11, 2016 1:49 AM
May 2016
I think OP doesn't affect the quality of anime. I guess its kind of marketing strategy of the producers, to give some or few insights about the show, sometimes contains foreshadowings or spoilers.Contains music to set a mood for the audience, kinda like a warm up, when your about to do some work.
Dec 11, 2016 7:04 AM

Nov 2014
Eh. I mean Re:Zero was arguably one of the top 3 at least this season and I really didn't like the second opening song. Didn't keep me from watching the show. I think it was the over-use of autotune that really turned me off. When you've watched enough series the openings all seem the same mostly. People running around. Someone needs help. Shots from weird angles. Though some stick out like the Serial Experiments Lain opening which is super different and great. I think that might also be nostalgia though.

When love and death embrace.
Dec 11, 2016 7:26 AM

Apr 2016
it's somewhat important but it doesn't really change how I think about the anime itself

sometimes there is good anime with shit openings and shit anime with good openings
zero_omarDec 11, 2016 7:29 AM
Dec 11, 2016 9:38 AM
Feb 2016
If it has a good opening, it makes the whole anime at least somewhat memorable. At least for me.
Dec 11, 2016 10:09 AM

Jun 2015
IMO, it is really important.
Imagine mushishi opening with the one from OPM.
Dec 11, 2016 10:17 AM

May 2014
The OP means more than the garbage that comes after.
Dec 11, 2016 10:46 AM

Jan 2013
For me as a watcher, no, they are not important. Sometime they are catchy and I like them, but it would do if they were "just there" as in western show.
For Japanese audience, it is important though. Songs are part of things that actually sell and are inseparable part of the presentation.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Dec 11, 2016 10:51 AM
Aug 2016
it matter
for example Fairy Tail openings make you want finish it
Dec 11, 2016 10:52 AM
Sep 2016
i think it's tooo much important some anime maybe they are not good to the point i remember them but the opening remind me about them cuz i like to listen to good opngs such as owari no seraph, bokura wa minna kawaiiso,hanayamata,....
Dec 11, 2016 11:00 AM

Oct 2016
I can't say that I find it all that important. I've seen shows with openings that I didn't enjoy much but the show itself was great and vice versa. But having a good opening, ending, or soundtrack definitely adds to the all around beauty of an anime, at least in my opinion.
Dec 11, 2016 11:57 AM

Dec 2009
Gensan said:
Not doing any advertisement for him at all
This is pretty accurate. Though he fails to really elaborate on it and get to the bottom of the subject.

Need a Digibro video on OPs/EDs.
GenesisAriaDec 11, 2016 12:02 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 11, 2016 12:04 PM
Dec 2016
I feel that some anime openings are very good at showing a bit of the future of the arc but without showing to much,but most opening have terrible music and show stuff that has nothing to do with the arc
Dec 11, 2016 12:07 PM
Dec 2016
Hello I just got here and want to see what is here.😀
Dec 11, 2016 12:17 PM
Dec 2016
best opening in all anime history is hits in deep and gives quite a dark feeling and connection to the character all and all tokyo ghoul opening 1 "UNRAVEL" is an awsome opening.
Dec 11, 2016 12:24 PM

Aug 2015
Openings are great for setting the mood, the OP of Prison School always got me hyped for the new episode. I also think it's neat when they do subtle changes like in the newest episode of Girlish Number or add in some stuff like in JoJo.
Endings can be used as kind of insert songs, as they often did in Re:Zero.

A bad OP doesn't affect the quality of the anime, but a great song might stick with me and I might listen to it again, which in turn will make me think about the anime again.
Dec 11, 2016 12:36 PM

Jul 2014
Its not that important ..... but it can make the anime more attractive
Dec 11, 2016 1:32 PM

Aug 2013
vakho777 said:
Does it influence the quality of the anime?

For me if an anime has a good opening it gets bonus points, but if it doesn't it's not too much of a trouble.

It's the same for me. Obviously if the anime is about music and it doesn't have good music then well... I don't know what that says about the entire anime...
Dec 11, 2016 1:51 PM

Feb 2016
0 importance. If I like the song I watch the OP, if I don't I skip it
Dec 11, 2016 3:28 PM

Dec 2015
I've skipped almost all openings after one listening, except for Shingeki no Bahamut, since it's opening was amazing and by a band a liked.

So tbh I don't think it does anything to the actual anime, pretty sure Darker than Black never had an opening and I loved that since I didn't have to skip it all the time

It can only add something since you can skip it otherwise
Dec 11, 2016 7:55 PM
Sep 2014
The openings is very important to me. It somehow sets the mood for the anime and that's how i choose my anime, the mood I'm in at the moment. Even if the openings bad.(its weird but : //)

But there have been some cases were the op and the mood don't match up.
Dec 11, 2016 7:56 PM
Sep 2014
A bad opening does not deter from an anime or really change much. A good opening (both video and music) really does increase the enjoyment of the anime.
Dec 11, 2016 10:13 PM

Jan 2013
Not that important, but the OP&ED songs definitely make the experience better for me.
Also 90% of my music library is anime OP&EDs so.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2016 10:50 PM

May 2016
For me the opening will let you describe the type of anime and encourages you to watch anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2016 11:28 PM

May 2012
The opening song has no relation to the anime, but sometimes it brings me in the mood it's intending to get me into.....like Mushishi or The Tatami Galaxy
And the mood is unrelated then it doesn't matter
If the openings not good, just skip it
Fancy Quote
Anime isn't Life
But what's Life without some Anime, NEEEEEEE!!!!!
Dec 12, 2016 1:31 AM

Jan 2015
Definitely. Look at JoJo, where the openings can get you hyped and Steins;Gate where it prepares you for the mindfuckery. An opening can get you in the right mood.

Also, for me they're like trailers but better as they don't directly take scenes from the show, instead they just give subtle hints.
Dec 12, 2016 2:38 PM

Jul 2012
Not very important. But it's a nice touch.
Dec 12, 2016 3:53 PM

Apr 2014
Very important

themanualreader@proton.me
Dec 12, 2016 4:10 PM

Sep 2015
Opening if its good may make you continue to remember the anime better I guess?
Dec 12, 2016 4:35 PM

Aug 2016
A good opening is always a plus but a good overall soundtrack is something I look for in every anime.
If A good anime has a fantastic soundtrack, chances are it'll be close to my favourites list if not in there outright

e.g Madoka Magica

slán abhaile corcaigh
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

☘ ☘ ☘

Currently stealing your heart,
your women and also your job

Dec 12, 2016 10:09 PM

Jul 2010
Not very important at all, just nice addition though if it's good.
Dec 12, 2016 10:21 PM

Sep 2016
EGOIST said:
The opening is very important, it makes you want to actually continue watching a show.

I agree, the op is what brings all the hype.
"No one looks up anymore,
'Cause you might get a raindrop in your eye,
And heaven forbid, they see you cry,
As we fall in line."
Dec 13, 2016 2:34 AM
Nov 2016
I sometimes watch shows because of the how good the OP is, so pretty important for me.

Dec 13, 2016 2:59 AM

Feb 2015
It's not the most important thing but animes with good OPs are more memorable to me
And well I have started shows because of how good the OP is (in particular 91 days)

they say they'll hold on tight
but is that really the truth?
if i'm let go of now,
i'll just fade to blue

●    ●
Dec 13, 2016 3:04 AM

Sep 2016
It can be striking to people, just as the opening of Tokyo Ghoul "Unravel" is of enormous importance to me.
"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths." ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Dec 13, 2016 3:19 AM

Jul 2014
It doesn't really affect me if the OP isn't that good but when it is, it actually makes me feel more hyped up to watch an episode.
e.g. Haikyuu season 1 & 2 (first show to pop in my head since I recently finished season 3 lol)
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Dec 13, 2016 8:53 AM

Jul 2009
It doesn't matter if the opening isn't to my liking, since I can always skip it. Of course I'd like all the series I watch to have a good op, but it's not possible, considering how many openings are being made each year.
Dec 13, 2016 10:20 AM

Jul 2015
Imo it just sets up the mood and because you can skip it, its not that important. Neither will a bad opening stop me from watching a good anime, nor will an awesome opening make me continue watching a garbage show. But a good opening can make me give a show a better ranking, e.g. 7,5 or 8 out of 10 instead of 7.
Dec 14, 2016 7:30 AM

Nov 2014
Not really.. While a good op/ed are always appreciated, it won't affect the quality as a whole for me, given that if you don't like it you can always skip it anyway..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Dec 14, 2016 5:49 PM

Dec 2012
Extremely unimportant, I skip it and get straight to the show 9 times out of 10 anyway unless I really like the song.

Even then, if I like the music I'll just go buy/download the full version of the song instead of watching the opening over and over.
KruszerDec 14, 2016 5:55 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 14, 2016 10:22 PM
Mar 2016
It's really important and sometimes it's not cause the opening usually foretell the ending and events but the music is good sometimes too
Dec 14, 2016 11:21 PM

Nov 2016
Doesn't really matter to me if the OP and ED are good or bad. But I do prefer a good OP and ED. I'm really into music and it can be a nice motivator if its done well.
The rest of the soundtrack is more important to me because I need music that fits the tone/mood of a scene.
Dec 15, 2016 5:25 AM

Jun 2015
the op is important, thats the reason i was able to finish those shitty animes

if those shitty animes had shitty ops, i'd drop the shit man
This...is what i love to do

dun get me wrong, juz cleaning metal rods
Dec 16, 2016 2:32 AM

Mar 2016
Depends how good the opening song is..I prefer ending song more than opening song most of the time.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Dec 16, 2016 2:43 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I find that a good OP can really get me in the mood to watch something, which makes the whole experience better for me. On the other hand, I find that a bad OP can really annoy me and put me off and make watching what it's for a bit of a trudge.

I consider it to be pretty important, kind of like a support character in a party. Sound quality in general could take that role, if anything, but OPs stick out the most to me.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

26 by FanofAction »»
10 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

15 by NubFix »»
10 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

33 by -YaoiBoy- »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

70 by Merve2Love »»
13 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 1 hour ago

4 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.