Forum Settings
Forums

How important is the opening song in an anime?

New
Dec 10, 2016 3:11 AM

Jun 2016
Does it influence the quality of the anime?

For me if an anime has a good opening it gets bonus points, but if it doesn't it's not too much of a trouble.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 10, 2016 3:15 AM

Apr 2013
Its not important at all....but I def like it when a series has a good opening.
Dec 10, 2016 3:17 AM

Sep 2015
A great opening can get you into the right mood right from the start.

If the opening is nothing remarkable or maybe even bad, you can always skip it. I don't think that a bad opening will lower the quality at all.
Dec 10, 2016 3:28 AM

Nov 2015
For me, personally, the OP matters. Not enough to actually dislike the anime or anything of the sort, but as a musician I definitely appreciate good openings. Even more if it sounds lovely on piano! :D
Dec 10, 2016 3:44 AM

Aug 2013
Nothing to do with the quality whatsoever. But i guess if it's cool i look forward to hearing it in the next episode.
Dec 10, 2016 3:55 AM

Nov 2011
If its good then the anime is gonna be great.

Dec 10, 2016 3:59 AM

Nov 2014
A relaxing one for a relaxing show, an intense one for an action or something along these lines? Other than that, really it's the anime that makes me love the opening rather than the other way around.

Also love good vocals, it makes me more likely to listen to it outside of the anime.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 10, 2016 4:01 AM

Oct 2016
I usually skip it.

But if the series is quite good, I do save a copy in my machine.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Dec 10, 2016 4:02 AM

Jul 2014
Doesn't affect my enjoyment in the slightest.
Dec 10, 2016 4:11 AM

Nov 2016
I usually skip them to avoid any form of spoilers, but listen/watch them when I'm finished with that season. It doesn't matter too much, well not enough to make me dislike the anime, but if it has a good opening then I like the anime more.
Dec 10, 2016 4:56 AM

Jun 2015
the op n ed is the plague of anime.

its a waste of time. in a 24 min ep, it takes away about 4 6 mins that like an entire scene.
Dec 10, 2016 7:09 AM

Jul 2016
How long it is so i can skip it right from the start
Dec 10, 2016 7:22 AM

Oct 2013
I wouldn't really say its important
but its always nice if the first opening is really good since some shows play it in the final battle of the series. Shakugan no Shana’s first opening fits perfect for the final battle unlike how they used Zero no Tsukaima’s first opening in the final battle when the second opening would of been so much better
But Im glad FMA used its second opening at the end instead of the first opening which I didn't really like
Dec 10, 2016 7:30 AM

Aug 2016
KuroudoAkabane said:
the op n ed is the plague of anime.

its a waste of time. in a 24 min ep, it takes away about 4 6 mins that like an entire scene.

They don't take away anything. The episodes would be shorter without them. They are there to fill in airing time. That's it.
I can't believe that there are still people that believe otherwise.
Dec 10, 2016 7:31 AM

Jul 2016
It's not very important, It's not a deal breaker if its bad.
But It's of course nice to have a good song in the start
Dec 10, 2016 7:36 AM

May 2016
I agree, good OPs (and EDS) are like bonus points ... but if the provider (legal or otherwise) decides to skip the OP then I'm going to switch to a different version.
If I don't like the song, I usually have it play in the background while I do stuff like visiting anime forums.
Dec 10, 2016 7:40 AM

Oct 2014
Well a good OP and ED are only important for setting up a mood and expectations.

They don't enhance a dam thing in the show.
Dec 10, 2016 7:41 AM

Apr 2015
I Absolutely Love It When An Anime Has Amazing Opening Song And Also A Nice Story :)
Dec 10, 2016 7:49 AM

Jun 2008
I usually skip the OP and ED unless it's really good.
To me the OP isn't that important.
Dec 10, 2016 8:56 AM

Apr 2014
They set up the mood, and I usually like a minor spoiler in the OP, it makes me looks forward to future event and how it will unfold.
Dec 10, 2016 9:04 AM

Sep 2015
not really important, they are a added bonus
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Dec 10, 2016 9:17 AM
Jul 2018
YES THEY ARE IMPORTANT! Especially more so when they have hidden aspects like in Re:ZERO's OP1 and BokuMachi's OP. It sets the mood and also somewhat gives you an idea of the production quality of the show. Peace.
Dec 10, 2016 9:21 AM

Feb 2013
i only watch the opening and the ending
Dec 10, 2016 10:12 AM

Nov 2011
definitely important: it shows off the character designs and plot, if applicable, which lets people know what to expect from the show and tries to hook new-comers - hoping that some of them will eventually buy the blu-ray volumes. a well-done OP has no noticeable flaws in animation, contains no spoilers and has a catchy opening theme (which is critical for bringing nostalgic feelings...which increases the chance of people buying the disk)
example of recent well-done opening includes "Is The Order a Rabbit?!" and "Love Live Sunshine".
opening with flaw in animation: sailor moon crystal
opening with major spoilers: Log Horizon 2nd opening

of course, even with a bad opening, a series may still sell well. it's also true that a series with great opening may still have trouble with bd sales.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Dec 10, 2016 10:50 AM

Mar 2016
For me at least, I don't judge an anime if the OP isn't good. A bad OP doesn't reflect a bad anime; however, I always felt like a great OP represents at least a good anime.

Personally, you can tell if an anime is at least pretty good if it looks like they spent a lot of time crafting an OP as if it was an actual episode in the series. This goes from everything from obviously the music, to the visuals/artstyle, to the plot hints/references/inside gags, to literary devices such as symbolism and foreshadowing. Normally anime that spends this much time into an OP show that they care about all the little details and extra stuff in the actual series.

I don't need a good OP to enjoy an anime, but a great OP tells me that this anime is gonna be a delicious treat.
Dec 10, 2016 10:54 AM
Jul 2018
It for sure is a plus if the anime has a nice OP, in more atmospheric series (Mushishi for example) the music can be used to set up a really good mood for the series.

If it is bad I usually just skip it but I most of the time end up liking the OPs enough not to skip them but I do not call the anime shit because of a 1:30 minute video in the beginning.
Dec 10, 2016 10:55 AM

Mar 2013
I've seen quite a few spoilers from the OPs, so now i avoid watching at the screen during it. If i like it, it's purely on my music taste and it has nothing to do with how i feel about that anime or what i expect from it. So yea, one more vote for ''not important''.
Patiently waiting for the best day of my life, the day when i die.
Dec 10, 2016 10:57 AM

May 2015
A good opening always makes a show better, but I won't judge it any less if the op's trash

Dec 10, 2016 11:03 AM

Apr 2016
many times I look at thanks to a an op watch Anime ... for me it is important to do an op because usually this is the postcard of an Anime. But I am very biased because I love the op of Anime
Dec 10, 2016 11:05 AM
Apr 2016
People have already said that it sets the mood and tone for the show, and yes, that's what I think, too, but OPs and EDs have a more specific importance to me.

While some shows start the episode off with the OP, others have a brief scene right before the OP; a lot of them do, unless I'm remembering wrong. Usually, I reflect on that little snippet during the OP, just to make predictions or consider their intention and reasoning for having that scene at the very beginning of the episode. Practically the same thing for the ED: I reflect on everything that happened in the episode, set to the song the creators chose for the "settling period" of each episode. It gives me time to organize my thoughts when exiting the episode that just passed and entering the upcoming episode. And yeah, this is more of an appreciation for the SEGMENT of the OPs and EDs and the brief 1:30 time window they provide, rather than for the actual content therein. So... eh. And it's not like anyone's gonna read this, so I don't care to talk about the content. What I said probably doesn't make sense.

TL;DR: It gives me time to think before and after each episode.
Dec 10, 2016 11:05 AM
Sep 2016
its not important
i don't even care about it since i skip them

being good is a +
Dec 10, 2016 11:06 AM

Apr 2015
Does the OP reflect the quality and story of a show? No! then it doesn't matter. But having a good OP is always a nice bonus.
Dec 10, 2016 11:06 AM

Nov 2011
by the way, the opening is meant to try and make people in Japan to buy the disks. it's not there to please the western audience...most of them watching illegally without paying a dime.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Dec 10, 2016 11:19 AM

Jan 2015
It doesn't really matter to me. I usually skip it unless it's really good.
Main:
Bonus: x3
Dec 10, 2016 11:20 AM

Jul 2010
Well many of you may not be able to fully appreciate the OP's impact if you don't understand Japanese. A good OP is one that thematically relates to the show and a good one can really leave an impact on how you perceive the story overall.

Reading the subs translated isn't the same either as certain phrases just don't translate well into English. But great OPs and EDs too are like an icing on the cake... it'll make the show just greater

An example I can think of right now was Gundam Seed Destiny.. it's use of Life Goes On and PRIDE really made subsequent episodes more impact-full for me due to the song's meaning and what the characters were going through
Dec 10, 2016 4:12 PM

Jun 2015
Werty800 said:
They are there to fill in airing time. That's it.
yeh but its worthless filler

you literally just said that!

i can list 20 or so songs that I have liked in my near 25 yrs if watching anime.

I get end credits, as credits would be or opening credits for live action. and some of them go on to long too. most of them.

plus the annoying subtitle anims they make for these songs are really off putting too.
Dec 10, 2016 4:16 PM

Nov 2014
hahahaha, what the hell, how the fuck can it ever be important?
Dec 10, 2016 4:17 PM

Jan 2008
It's enough for me to watch a show solely because of it but not enough for me to drop a show as I can always skip it.
Dec 10, 2016 4:19 PM

Aug 2016
KuroudoAkabane said:
Werty800 said:
They are there to fill in airing time. That's it.

i can list 20 or so songs that I have liked in my near 25 yrs if watching anime.

I get end credits, as credits would be or opening credits for live action. and some of them go on to long too. most of them.

plus the annoying subtitle anims they make for these songs are really off putting too.

You are using the wrong definition of filler. Find a different word.
You can just skip it though, and you are complaining how it takes time away from the anime itself. It does not.

For me, and a lot of other people, it's not worthless, it gets me hyped up for the episode, and I found a lot of anime through openings.
And music is subjective, so because you didn't like the songs they should be gone?
Come on. Don't be that guy.
Dec 10, 2016 4:30 PM

Jun 2015
Werty800 said:
KuroudoAkabane said:

You are using the wrong definition of filler. Find a different word.
You can just skip it though, and you are complaining how it takes time away from the anime itself. It does not.

For me, and a lot of other people, it's not worthless, it gets me hyped up for the episode, and I found a lot of anime through openings.
And music is subjective, so because you didn't like the songs they should be gone?
Come on. Don't be that guy.
I get some parts of what you're sayin, the 20 odd songs I do like I LOVE THEM, ok not all of em, maybe 10. they are also sung by the waifu's seiyuu, so thats why.

we're not gonna get in the what is filler mess now are we?
hax//

sure the fairytail ops do work the intended effect, the ones I liked, although its got better ending songs though.

HOW do you find anime by openings? that makes no sense to me......

and I cant skip them , cuz I watch anime on tv
Dec 10, 2016 8:06 PM

Nov 2016
I agree in that I think while a bad opening doesn't do too much to take away from a show, a good opening does add to it. The OST matters a lot more in my opinion because it ties into the anime more directly. Still, I sure love a strong opening.
Dec 10, 2016 8:16 PM

Dec 2008
I have a bad habit of skipping the openings and endings. I only watch them at the end of the season because I'm super paranoid about spoilers.

I'm a weirdo haha
Dec 10, 2016 8:18 PM

May 2016
A good OP is an excellent mood setter or a nifty little window into what you're about to watch.

A bad OP is just a good reason to increase your APS (anime per second) by skipping a minute and a half of useless fluff.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 10, 2016 9:39 PM
Jul 2018
Not important. Shinsekai yori has no opening and it's awesome.
Dec 10, 2016 10:14 PM
Jul 2018
The opening song is important because it can get you in the right mood for the show.
Dec 10, 2016 10:22 PM

Jul 2014
Not doing any advertisement for him at all
Dec 10, 2016 11:14 PM

Aug 2016
Good song good anime. Well for me that is.

Set by SenpieX
Dec 10, 2016 11:27 PM

Mar 2008
The ED theme is a lot more important to not mess up the mood from the last scene and to build up a stronger feeling.
Dec 10, 2016 11:27 PM

Oct 2015
The opening is very important, it makes you want to actually continue watching a show.
Dec 10, 2016 11:31 PM

May 2015
I don't get why people care so much about OP's.

I always skip them. Life is short.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - Yesterday

43 by yodebqzz »»
56 seconds ago

» Has anyone noticed how sequel bias is an anime only thing?

APolygons2 - 20 minutes ago

6 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 11 hours ago

23 by JessicaKari »»
4 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Yesterday

60 by -YaoiBoy- »»
6 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Apr 25

79 by Gator »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.