Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 15, 2016 8:36 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Hello everyone! This year will mark MAL’s 12th year in existence. That’s twelve years of providing anime and manga fans with a site to list, discuss and share their passions. As we’ve traveled this long path, we’ve always strived to do our best to maintain uptime, implement new features, and fix bugs. All of these duties require an immense amount of technical expertise (product analysts and developers), volunteer time (mod staff) and community support (you.) Ultimately, it all comes down to one thing that makes businesses run: money. And the bottom line is, we need to make more of it.

So, some of you may be thinking, “Rubbish! MAL is owned by DeNA, a billion dollar corporation! They could hire a hundred developers!” Sure, that’s possible, but one critical point to keep in mind: corporations aren’t run like charities. There are separate budgets for each business asset. Resources are usually allocated proportionate to their revenue. And MAL’s revenue is not where it needs to be.

“But Xinil, can’t you just put up more ads?” We’ve tried that, and everyone HATES It. We hate it too. “What about partnering with anime and manga retailers/distributors and make content sharing deals?” We’re already doing this as much as we can, and have big plans for more of it in the future. But that’s not near enough. So what else?

Enter: MAL Supporter Plan

Members now have the option to subscribe to our newly released ‘MAL Supporter’ plan. This new feature gives our passionate users a way to help MAL as well as receive a few benefits for themselves. We’ve heard your ideas, and so as a supporter, your account will have all ads hidden across the site. Not only that, but by committing to a plan and subscribing to either our monthly ($2.99/mo) or annual ($29.99/yr, 2 months free) option, you’ll be able to choose your own custom forum title. Plus, we’ll show off a slick MAL Supporter badge in your profile.

Depending on the reception from the community we hope to be able to continue to provide more development across MAL moving forward. That includes more features surrounding the MAL Supporter plan (we’d love to hear your suggestions!)

Happy watching/reading! Please support MAL if you love us. We’re eager to hear your thoughts!

Update October 21
I'm pleased to announce we've added a few additional perks to becoming a MAL Supporter. You now get double the favorites for each category (up to 20 from 10.) You can customize your profile progress colors. And you're also able to add double the ignored users (up from 30.) These are relatively small changes, but I hope our supporters enjoy the benefits!
KinetaOct 21, 2016 3:27 PM
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 15, 2016 8:41 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
We really appreciate everyone who considers signing up. It'll be a huge help. Of course, if you're willing to put up with a few ads instead, that's great, too.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 15, 2016 8:44 AM
Jan 2013
lololololol
the paid subscription title jokes ended up becoming a true thing

Nice side Overlord
gone bai bai
Sep 15, 2016 8:46 AM

Nov 2011
Now I can be more special than you plebs without Custom title. What a good way to show my superiority.

Sep 15, 2016 8:48 AM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
This is probably going to get some hate from some people, but please remember, it's OPTIONAL. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
And if you don't have the ability to buy the supporter plan but still wanna help MAL, you have the option to disable adblock, and that's more than
enough. :)

Good work to everyone involved. :>

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Sep 15, 2016 8:50 AM

Aug 2014
Start supporting people! Get awesome custom name titles! ┴┬┴┤( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬
Sep 15, 2016 8:51 AM
May 2015
$3 a month?? Yooo!! That's cheap, my nigga...

I might consider subscribing but I'll think about it first.

Sep 15, 2016 8:53 AM

Sep 2015
really cool.

you should turn the 30 char limit off for subscribers

Sep 15, 2016 8:54 AM
Jun 2015
as long as regular members don't lose features we already have and have to get them back by becoming a member I'm fine with this
Sep 15, 2016 8:55 AM

Feb 2015
And on this day, the communistic environment free of elitism once tended by this sacred site is now officially abolished.

Enter: The MAL Elites Supporters
Sep 15, 2016 8:57 AM

Mar 2008
Joms said:
And on this day, the communistic environment free of elitism once tended by this sacred site is now officially abolished.

WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?
Sep 15, 2016 9:00 AM

Aug 2014
Zach said:
as long as regular members don't lose features we already have and have to get them back by becoming a member I'm fine with this

Yes, it's all completely optional. This update changes nothing for those who don't want to or can't support MAL with this new feature :)

Mar 2015
But I can't afford it, I live in a cardboard box and use my neighbour's wifi.
*cries in a corner

Can't I just be a special exception and get the title for free?

Nov 2011
Wish the title is cooler because I can do better lol.

Sep 15, 2016 9:01 AM

Feb 2015
Ckan said:
Joms said:

WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?

I shall see myself becoming a lowly plebeian beneath the elites supporters. I fear that day shall come.

Liar said:

Can't I just be a special exception and get the title for free?

No; you shall come with us plebeians and fester under the horses of these elites supporters
JomsSep 15, 2016 9:05 AM
Sep 15, 2016 9:04 AM

Jun 2008
Heh, noticed a little typo on the picture: http://i.imgur.com/LViIitd.png (Overload vs Overlord)
Sep 15, 2016 9:05 AM

Mar 2015
Cryo_ said:
Have my money.

Really? Thank you so much :3

@Joms Noooo, I don't wanna be a pleb!
Sep 15, 2016 9:19 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Joms said:
This will not become an elitist system. It is something that we are completely against and were very aware of when considering supporter features.

We are very grateful to users who have disabled their adblock to support the site until now, and we're aware that many people may not be able to contribute financially to the site directly. Users who disable adblock are supporting MAL just the same as users who contribute money directly, and we value their experience on the site just as much.

There is absolutely no goal here of creating an "upper tier" of users. And all suggestions for the subscription will be viewed through that lens.
Sep 15, 2016 9:23 AM

Aug 2016
I just started using this site a few weeks ago but when i first started using it i was switching from Se7ensins and i always used a monthly subscription there so im glad you guys added this :) ill definitely be getting this!
Sep 15, 2016 9:37 AM
Jun 2014
Is there any chance that they will update the payment options so we can use our paypal to securely pay for this service?
Sep 15, 2016 9:39 AM

Feb 2015
Kineta said:
Joms said:
This will not become an elitist system. It is something that we are completely against and were very aware of when considering supporter features.

We are very grateful to users who have disabled their adblock to support the site until now, and we're aware that many people may not be able to contribute financially to the site directly. Users who disable adblock are supporting MAL just the same as users who contribute money directly, and we value their experience on the site just as much.

There is absolutely no goal here of creating an "upper tier" of users. And all suggestions for the subscription will be viewed through that lens.

I hope it would, but I doubt people would be enticed (for long-term period) to subscribe just to get rid of ads, and have a simple flair on the top of their forum avatars. They would demand for more, I am certain, but I don't see the problem of this project if financial sustenance is the issue here. I'm just really doubting that you could ascertain us that it would not affect the current state of the community, at the same time make this subscription worthwhile to its subscribers.

Nonetheless, I hope that the community would remain fair and serene to each other (for non-supporters and supporters) just like you had promised, despite this change.
Sep 15, 2016 9:42 AM
Sep 2014
Is there any plan for PayPal support or will it be CC only?
Sep 15, 2016 9:43 AM

Jan 2013
I will consider this if they turn that 30 char shit off for premium users. Until then...
Sep 15, 2016 9:44 AM
Sep 2014
Klad said:
I will consider this if they turn that 30 char shit off for premium users. Until then...
I also think this would be a good idea, you could assume that premium users aren't going to be low-tier garbage posting so the character limit makes no sense
Sep 15, 2016 9:57 AM

Apr 2014
My mum is afraid that you guys will spend money on her credit card secretly
Sep 15, 2016 10:05 AM

Apr 2014
This is pretty cool I want to contribute & i probably will in the future once i can get a fucking credit card & a damn job but as of rn the only thing i can give is a promise of my future payment I love mal but i aint turning off my adblocker
Sep 15, 2016 10:06 AM

Mar 2013
Bambi said:

Which is the only right approach. Direct credit card transactions should only be used at trusted websites/traders, and to be honest, MAL's current owners haven't really done anything to earn their credibility. Trusting them with credit card information would be quite stupid, especially for a person that has probably never heard or used MAL before. Your mom is wise.

But that's why PayPal exists.

On the topic of feedback, you already got mine here.
Sep 15, 2016 10:13 AM

Dec 2013
Clearly the plan is to create new revenue streams for MAL.
This is very much like microtransactions in video games these days.
Most Anime watchers are gamers and are use to the skepticism that everyone has on microtransactions.
What exactly are you taking away or will take away in the future behind a paywall?
How does this effect new features in the future?
What will be the ratio of new features for free and behind the paywall?

So people will continue to be wary about this going forward.
Sep 15, 2016 10:13 AM

Jan 2014
Sep 15, 2016 10:14 AM
Sep 2014
Subpyro said:
Bambi said:

Which is the only right approach. Direct credit card transactions should only be used at trusted websites/traders, and to be honest, MAL's current owners haven't really done anything to earn their credibility. Trusting them with credit card information would be quite stupid, especially for a person that has probably never heard or used MAL before. Your mom is wise.

But that's why PayPal exists.

On the topic of feedback, you already got mine here.
According to the small disclaimer at the top of the payment page all CC information and the payment itself are stored/processed in/through Stripe, not MAL
Sep 15, 2016 10:16 AM
Jun 2014
That doesn't really change the risks behind it, and honestly at least offering paypal as an option opens the door to people who prefer to use that for their online payments.
Sep 15, 2016 10:17 AM

Mar 2013
Darkfoxtrooper said:
That doesn't really change the risks behind it, and honestly at least offering paypal as an option opens the door to people who prefer to use that for their online payments.

I honestly have no idea why PayPal is not offered as an option; agreed.
Sep 15, 2016 10:20 AM

Jan 2009
I'm too lazy to get a Credit Card, but if there were a Possibility to use a Debit Cards/normal Bank Cards for an Online Transaction, I would do so and pay even Double of the Amount. ~5 Dollars per Month isn't that much more compared to paying ~2.5 Dollars per Month.

Else, the Member Group Titles look nice and very convenient, though using a Yellow Background with a white Font isn't a very good Choice.

p.s.: I'm putting up with the Ads on my Phone for as long as I'm not getting annoyed with Redirects.
Sep 15, 2016 10:24 AM
Sep 2014
Putting any information online puts you at potential risk, though I'm not arguing against PayPal support. What I am saying is that it isn't MAL that has to be compromised for your CC to be at risk, it's Stripe.

Noboru said:
I'm too lazy to get a Credit Card, but if there were a Possibility to use a Debit Cards/normal Bank Cards for an Online Transaction, I would do so and pay even Double of the Amount. ~5 Dollars per Month isn't that much more compared to paying ~2.5 Dollars per Month.

Else, the Member Group Titles look nice and very convenient, though using a Yellow Background with a white Font isn't a very good Choice.

p.s.: I'm putting up with the Ads on my Phone for as long as I'm not getting annoyed with Redirects.

Most debit cards can be charged as if they were credit cards. As long as it is a supported carrier (Visa, MasterCard, etc.) you should be in the clear.

You could also buy a prepaid Visa the next time you pass any general store and use that if you either don't have a credit card or are really not okay with giving Stripe your card info

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ShockedSep 15, 2016 9:40 PM
Sep 15, 2016 10:27 AM

Mar 2013
Tsun said:
Putting any information online puts you at potential risk, though I'm not arguing against PayPal support. What I am saying is that it isn't MAL that has to be compromised for your CC to be at risk, it's Stripe.

Assuming we trust MAL that the transaction is pushed through Stripe in the first place. Other than that, for me, this is the first time I hear of Stripe, to be honest. PayPal is much more reputable for many people, I believe.
Sep 15, 2016 10:27 AM
Jun 2014
Tsun said:
You could also buy a prepaid Visa the next time you pass any general store and use that if you either don't have a credit card or are really not okay with giving Stripe your card info

This right here is probably one of the best ideas for anyone who is worried about the security of their cards.
Sep 15, 2016 10:28 AM

Mar 2013
Darkfoxtrooper said:
Tsun said:

This right here is probably one of the best ideas for anyone who is worried about the security of their cards.

If you can be bothered, then sure.
Sep 15, 2016 10:29 AM

Sep 2011
Subpyro said:
Darkfoxtrooper said:

I honestly have no idea why PayPal is not offered as an option; agreed.
Pretty sure PayPal takes a % cut if you were to use them, so... yeah. And when it comes @ $2.99/month, the money taken and the money gain is even smaller.
Sep 15, 2016 10:31 AM

Jan 2009
Tsun said:
Most debit cards can be charged as if they were credit cards. As long as it is a supported carrier (Visa, MasterCard, etc.) you should be in the clear.
Thanks, but "most" unfortunately doesn't include mine. But Prepaid Cards sound like a good Alternative. Are there any additional Fees for an international Transaction?
Sep 15, 2016 10:32 AM

Mar 2013
Tyrel said:
Pretty sure PayPal takes a % cut if you were to use them, so... yeah. And when it comes @ $2.99/month, the money taken and the money gain is even smaller.

There's no fee to use PayPal to purchase goods or services. However, if you receive money for goods or services, the fee for each transaction is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you receive.
Sep 15, 2016 10:33 AM
Sep 2014
Subpyro said:
Tsun said:

Assuming we trust MAL that the transaction is pushed through Stripe in the first place. Other than that, for me, this is the first time I hear of Stripe, to be honest. PayPal is much more reputable for many people, I believe.
I'm not 100% on the legality but it would make sense that explicitly claiming to use a service and then not using the service and performing xx operation oneself is fraud

Additionally, after doing some brief research Stripe seems to be more secure than PayPal. What they lack in branding and legacy they make up for with PCI compliance as MAL never sees any of your data thanks to the way their service works. It seems they have all the security features of PayPal + this extra feature
Sep 15, 2016 10:34 AM

Sep 2011
Subpyro said:
Tyrel said:

There's no fee to use PayPal to purchase goods or services. However, if you receive money for goods or services, the fee for each transaction is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you receive.
That's what I meant. DeNa loses money.
Sep 15, 2016 10:35 AM

Mar 2013
Tsun said:
I'm not 100% on the legality but it would make sense that explicitly claiming to use a service and then not using the service and performing xx operation oneself is fraud

Additionally, after doing some brief research Stripe seems to be more secure than PayPal. What they lack in branding and legacy they make up for with PCI compliance as MAL never sees any of your data thanks to the way their service works. It seems they have all the security features of PayPal + this extra feature

I don't see how fraud is any worse than a scam.

But yeah, they do appear to be quite trust-worthy. It's just a shame that they are, I believe, not that famous. A well-known good name in public is essential for companies offering services such as what Stripe does.

Tyrel said:
That's what I meant. DeNa loses money.

Better than getting no money at all from a customer that won't purchase the service purely because there is no PayPal option available.
Sep 15, 2016 10:35 AM
Sep 2014
Noboru said:
Tsun said:
Thanks, but "most" unfortunately doesn't include mine. But Prepaid Cards sound like a good Alternative. Are there any additional Fees for an international Transaction?
I wouldn't think so but I would imagine you would be notified if there was at the point of purchase. Because stripe seems to be multi-national I don't think there will be a problem.
Sep 15, 2016 10:38 AM

Aug 2016
Tsun said:
Klad said:
I also think this would be a good idea, you could assume that premium users aren't going to be low-tier garbage posting so the character limit makes no sense

yas please do this D:
Sep 15, 2016 10:39 AM
Sep 2014
I've never heard of Stripe until now so I would agree that they aren't as household famous as PayPal, mostly because they seem to only really deal with businesses. Looking at their page they are involved with some big companies such as Adidas, BestBuy, and Under Armour.

I'm going grocery shopping in a bit so I'll pick up a prepaid Visa and see if going through the process itself helps answers any questions

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ShockedSep 15, 2016 9:40 PM
Sep 15, 2016 10:45 AM

Sep 2012
Mkim said:
lololololol
the paid subscription title jokes ended up becoming a true thing

Nice side Overlord

That's what I thinking the entire time.

Let the new VIP titles emerge.
Sep 15, 2016 10:45 AM

Jan 2009
Tsun said:
Noboru said:
I wouldn't think so but I would imagine you would be notified if there was at the point of purchase. Because stripe seems to be multi-national I don't think there will be a problem.
The Problem is, my combined Card doesn't support International Transactions at all if it isn't booked from my Bank Account.

I'm going grocery shopping in a bit so I'll pick up a prepaid Visa and see if going through the process itself helps answers any questions

Alright, I'm eager to know whether or not it works.
Sep 15, 2016 10:55 AM

Dec 2012
Never understood why people in any site would go premium. I wouldn't pay for something that is free even if I was a millionaire.

Though it's still surprising that it only know they made this. Most smaller sites had this years ago. I guess MAL is slower in everything modern.
Sep 15, 2016 10:58 AM

Apr 2012
So pray tell, why the hell would I pay for this if I can just make my image smaller and put the title there?

I know you guys are short on cash, but this is too desperate.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

208 by hawkpelt5 »»
Today, 1:49 AM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.