Forum Settings
Forums

Why do you think japanese fans' tastes are so different for ours?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 12, 2016 3:25 AM

Oct 2015
Most people in Japan don't even watch anime. Baseball is more popular than anime in Japan. The whole "otaku" thing you people are bitching about, is a minority of a minority.

But of course a lot of western anime fans like to pretend that Japan is a 3rd world country to avoid insecurity about being a weeb.
Sep 12, 2016 3:30 AM

Feb 2010
They're people. We're people. People are different from each other.
The end.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 12, 2016 4:53 AM
Sep 2013
Lobinde said:
Most people in Japan don't even watch anime. Baseball is more popular than anime in Japan. The whole "otaku" thing you people are bitching about, is a minority of a minority.

But of course a lot of western anime fans like to pretend that Japan is a 3rd world country to avoid insecurity about being a weeb.

Maybe Base ball is more popular than late-night anime but anime in general including Ghibli/Disney movies to Sazae san,One Piece,Doraemon,I think it is more popular than base ball.
umashikanekoSep 12, 2016 5:04 AM
Sep 12, 2016 5:00 AM
Aug 2015
Darekmhn1 said:
Chiibi said:

Yeah, Japanese people don't have a brain at ALL.

That's why they're 10+ years ahead of us in technology.

LOL

It is also worth addimg that most of
western anime fans watch anime to jerk off as well

There is no shame in masturbating to eyegasmic smooth animation.
Sep 12, 2016 5:12 AM
Jul 2018
On_the_Lam said:
Darekmhn1 said:

There is no shame in masturbating to eyegasmic smooth animation.

I know that, everyone knows that, why would there be even a need to say that
Sep 12, 2016 5:38 AM

Jul 2013
Maybe because the culture and values of the Japanese people is different from the one the West have, I guess.
Sep 12, 2016 5:50 AM

Mar 2016
You said 'ours'?there was an asian too on MAL
For you question,it's only about culture dude.

For example :
You're from west and i'm from east.And we have different taste

Sep 12, 2016 5:55 AM

Feb 2016
Weeb_Noiz said:
Very very very intelligent people won't usually like any stuff

Quote of the day.

But as for taste, in my opinion, it all comes down to a question of cultural background (allowing, of course, that there is also the very significant factor of personal taste on top of that). For example, in my experience, Woody Allen films are ridiculously popular here in France, whereas their overall reception in the Anglophone countries I've lived in (Australia, England) is more lukewarm, excepting certain diehards. Just last night I went to see a French period drama that I thought was rather banal and one-dimensional; my native French companions insisted I simply didn't 'get' the film, as they felt it was brilliant and moving.

Obviously this is all anecdotal evidence, but in the end, I really do think that cultural background goes a long way in determining taste.
Sep 12, 2016 7:04 AM

Nov 2008
Fasolt said:
Weeb_Noiz said:
Very very very intelligent people won't usually like any stuff

Quote of the day.

Uh no. I'd like to see proof of this statement, please.

Sep 12, 2016 7:09 AM

Jun 2008
Dem atomic bombs really did a number on them....

Japanese fans always have shit taste, these people still have flip phones for god sakes!
Sep 12, 2016 7:14 AM

Nov 2012
-Trippwire- said:
Because the Japanese fans are weeaboos

You clearly don't know what a weaboo is if you think a Japanese person can be one.
Sep 12, 2016 8:26 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
because theyre not flooded with butthurt sjws, don't have crazy gun nuts or live in a super racist or super violent culture
Sep 12, 2016 8:30 AM

Jan 2014
We weren't exposed to cancer at a young age like the Japanese were.
Sep 12, 2016 8:34 AM

Jul 2014
The Japanese don't know anything when it comes to anime.

#superioranimerace
Sep 12, 2016 8:52 AM
Apr 2015
Ryo_Misaki said:
Most of japanese fans watch anime to just jerk off seeing lolis and dont have a brain.

This is so ignorant. Not everyone wants to see "mature" and "serious" anime. If we wanted to watch those, we'd stick with another medium instead of watching anime.
Sep 12, 2016 8:59 AM

Sep 2015
Because they were raised in a different way..?
Sep 12, 2016 2:52 PM

Nov 2008
Nigami_Shin said:
Chiibi said:

USA, so nope.
Um.....
Did you look for it? They're building robots that look completely human now.

i haven't seen those robots anywhere :D - also you could say that your own country is 10 years ahead because you have those "google driverless cars" (in one city) or print artificial organs in some labs.

by the way the advancement of a robot isn't determinated by how human it looks. making them look like us is actually pretty useless (ok maybe less scary for children and elderly people)

Chiibi said:

*glares in disgust*
If you're defining "weeb" as an immature teenager who dresses up in cosplay every day and misuses the five Japanese phrases they know and claim that Japan is the best country in the world in every aspect, no, I am not a f*cking "weeb". I am a well-versed student of the language for +10 years and I actually know my shit. Not from anime but from studying professionally.

k

Um, you could apologize, you know?

"Weeb" is a very insulting, derogatory term so I don't like being accused of being one, thanks.

Sep 14, 2016 2:57 AM

May 2015
Japan has a radically different culture than ours. Globalization hasn't blurred it yet. Look how they get hyped over cute things way more than us, and how macho bullshit isn't a big deal there.

It's not a 'they have better taste' thing. They just seem more invested in bright colors and smiling faces rather than muscles and grim looks.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 25, 2020 1:00 PM
Jul 2018
I found this video where the guy asks random people in Akihabara what their favourite anime is.

What's interesting is that the girls like shounen and fight anime whereas the guys tend to like slice of life and romance lol.

it's so weird. the Japanese don't seem as judgemental about taste and also when asked about why they like the anime they answer simply whereas the american guy had to tell his whole life story
removed-userFeb 25, 2020 1:16 PM
Feb 25, 2020 1:04 PM
Apr 2016
Wake me up when there is a rule against "bumping" exhausted threads. I will report each and every piece of human then...
...But since I am here, might as well put up a show.
TheBrainintheJar said:
Japan has a radically different culture than ours. Globalization hasn't blurred it yet. Look how they get hyped over cute things way more than us, and how macho bullshit isn't a big deal there.

It's not a 'they have better taste' thing. They just seem more invested in bright colors and smiling faces rather than muscles and grim looks.

Than "ours" WHOSE culture? Bird culture? Japanese people have one of the most developed cultures and societies, in every aspekt - spiritually included. Most popular series to the westerners (and outside Japan) are the action series which require a) little brain power to compute b) little level of cultural advancement (since action is quite a universal concept, beating each other has been a thing for every barbarian species since BC). So, yeah, for the westerners such simple action series are the most popular, since they are the easiest to digest. It is the MacDonalds to them, a food they go through without having any gain except for having "enjoyed" it. The art is so much more, thankfully.
Daniel_NaumovFeb 25, 2020 1:09 PM
Re:formed
Feb 25, 2020 1:32 PM

Sep 2018
Different culture.

And wtf is "our", if you mean western audiences. We all do not have the same taste. I think FMA:B and SNK are average Shounens and many people disagree with that....
Feb 25, 2020 1:51 PM

Jun 2019
Well Japanese people's taste is not that much different from us. Just see how much they love One piece Attack on Titan and other animws like My hero academia is also quite popular in Japan. Although there is only one odd thing about Japanese people and that is they love idol anime so much.
Feb 25, 2020 1:58 PM
Apr 2016
Mullerio said:
Different culture.

And wtf is "our", if you mean western audiences. We all do not have the same taste. I think FMA:B and SNK are average Shounens and many people disagree with that....

They might agree with you if, when you exclaim so, you support your thoughts with reasoning and analysis.
Feb 25, 2020 8:05 PM

Oct 2017
Korishi said:
I found this video where the guy asks random people in Akihabara what their favourite anime is.

What's interesting is that the girls like shounen and fight anime whereas the guys tend to like slice of life and romance lol.

it's so weird. the Japanese don't seem as judgemental about taste and also when asked about why they like the anime they answer simply whereas the american guy had to tell his whole life story

Probably likely that girls into action shonen like the more male dominant casts and guys into SOL are more into series where female casts dominate.That isn't too far off from our dedicated anime communities.

As for why they aren't as judgemental I mean IDK I heard 2Chan and some of those more dedicated communities can be incredibly critical but i can't say. Anime/manga is seen more as disposable medium over there though so that may be a reason.

Also this is an old thread but i don't really agree that their tastes are that different. Most titles that sell in the top ten are popular in the West too. Sure you have series here and there where one is more popular in Japan the other in the West. That can be a variety of reasons. One easy one that is common to identify Western fans value realism and grit more than say Japan who likes idealism more. Though again these are generalizations.
Feb 25, 2020 8:10 PM

May 2016
TolkienFan365 said:
Probably likely that girls into action shonen like the more male dominant casts and guys into SOL are more into series where female casts dominate.That isn't too far off from our dedicated anime communities.

Actually, it's because Japan has been experiencing a cultural shift in the past ~30 years or so, where the women are becoming the more assertive and aggressive sex. It's a slow and gradual shift, but Japanese ladies have become more outspoken and go-get-'em while expecting the men to follow suit, but the men have become more inward and passive over those same years. This is a generalization, of course, but that's been the trend since the so-called "lost decade" in the early 90s.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Feb 25, 2020 8:13 PM

Oct 2017
Zelkiiro said:
TolkienFan365 said:

Actually, it's because Japan has been experiencing a cultural shift in the past ~30 years or so, where the women are becoming the more assertive and aggressive sex. It's a slow and gradual shift, but Japanese ladies have become more outspoken and go-get-'em while expecting the men to follow suit, but the men have become more inward and passive over those same years. This is a generalization, of course, but that's been the trend since the so-called "lost decade" in the early 90s.

I don't see what that has to do with preferring action series over SOL. That's a pretty far out assertion that if you are more aggressive and assertive you like action. I wouldn't agree. At the very least I mean I wouldn't doubt that there have been studies done but you would have to show that. The biggest reason again why stuff like Haikyuu has a majority female audience is because the boys are cute. It isn't that hard. Battle shonens are gold mines for Yaoi dojin writers due to the male dominated casts and close male friendships literally the same reason CGDCT anime are mainly male dominated.
Feb 25, 2020 8:17 PM

May 2016
TolkienFan365 said:
Zelkiiro said:

I don't see what that has to do with preferring action series over SOL. That's a pretty far out assertion that if you are more aggressive and assertive you like action. I wouldn't agree. At the very least I mean I wouldn't doubt it but you would have to show studies showing that. The biggest reason like again why stuff like Haikyuu has a majority female audience is because the boys are cute. It isn't that hard. Battle shonens are gold mines for Yaoi dojin writers.

Pure sex appeal is also part of the equation, but you gotta consider the reason Japanese teenage girls flock to hot-blooded action anime instead of more low-key stories like Free! or that other show about high school boys but that's literally its title. Conversely, why shows like Queen's Blade aren't really being made anymore but super-tranquil slice-of-life shows are huge with Japanese teenage boys.

Feb 25, 2020 8:25 PM

Oct 2017
Zelkiiro said:
TolkienFan365 said:

I don't see what that has to do with preferring action series over SOL. That's a pretty far out assertion that if you are more aggressive and assertive you like action. I wouldn't agree. At the very least I mean I wouldn't doubt it but you would have to show studies showing that. The biggest reason like again why stuff like Haikyuu has a majority female audience is because the boys are cute. It isn't that hard. Battle shonens are gold mines for Yaoi dojin writers.

Pure sex appeal is also part of the equation, but you gotta consider the reason Japanese teenage girls flock to hot-blooded action anime instead of more low-key stories like Free! or that other show about high school boys but that's literally its title. Conversely, why shows like Queen's Blade aren't really being made anymore but super-tranquil slice-of-life shows are huge with Japanese teenage boys.

Well teenage girls do flock to those shows as well. Free sold very well. One of the bigger titles for women in general the last few years was Yuri on Ice which has plenty of cute relaxed SOL moments.

As for why they have gone to Jump well because magazines like Jump in general are popular. It's the Marvel of Japan and if you are into anime/manga you read it. Plus wide conclusions off a video with selective sampling doesn't help.

It's not like guys aren't super into battle shonen they are. Also tranquil SOL does exist for women it's mainly in shojo and josei anime/manga. Often CGDCT anime are just stress reliever for a lot of overworked guys.

Girls are flocking more to battle shonen because they are looking more for action oriented stuff which isn't as commonly found in demographics oriented to them. You got more titles featuring female characters. Honestly anime like The Ancient Magus Bride feels way more like a YA girl's novel but it shonen. Again just because a series has hot blood action does not mean you are assertive at all.
Feb 25, 2020 8:30 PM

May 2016
TolkienFan365 said:
Again just because a series has hot blood action does not mean you are assertive at all.

I think it's a correlation-not-causation thing. It's absolutely a social trend that Japanese women are becoming more active and Japanese men becoming more passive, and I think it makes sense that the snapshots we're seeing of girls liking action anime and boys liking slice-of-life anime reflect that societal change. Correlation, not causation.

Feb 25, 2020 8:56 PM

Oct 2017
Zelkiiro said:
TolkienFan365 said:
Again just because a series has hot blood action does not mean you are assertive at all.

I think it's a correlation-not-causation thing. It's absolutely a social trend that Japanese women are becoming more active and Japanese men becoming more passive, and I think it makes sense that the snapshots we're seeing of girls liking action anime and boys liking slice-of-life anime reflect that societal change. Correlation, not causation.

Well it's not like this hasn't been a thing before MSG and LOTGH were aimed at male audiences but found tons of female fans because again homoerotic subtext and cute boys. The only thing that has really changed is the massive increase in moe SOL shows.

I can't really comment on Japan's society but I just wouldn't argue that much has changed. Guys have always liked cute girls and girls vice versa. The only thing really different is more of these relaxed SOL shows which again I just think is more a reaction to Japanese work life and maybe like say sports anime becoming huge for girls which more has to do with the art styles in many of these shows compared to the past.
Feb 25, 2020 11:44 PM

Jul 2010
If they differ, it is only in the context of the mentality and history of the country, probably
May be some anime?
Feb 26, 2020 12:01 AM

Dec 2018
Different culture. That’s really all it is.
Feb 26, 2020 12:07 AM

Dec 2018
Lobinde said:

I am no sure about that , how can you say anime is unpopular in Japan, when before expanding of the internet One Piece have sold 30 milion copies of manga per year ( only in Japan ) each new volume sold around 6 million copies and I dont know how it looks in Japan, but in Western countries even more people watch anime than read manga .
ReegrezSNKFeb 26, 2020 12:15 AM
Feb 26, 2020 12:38 AM

Jan 2020
What's their top 5 ? I'm really curious.
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Feb 26, 2020 12:55 AM

Mar 2016
Culture Most likely. Japanese people are more reserved and quiet; their walls are literally paper thin. They also have a weird culture of isolationism not many foreign influences. Most anime is consumed by children and considered to be childish in nature to watch and consume. Satoshi Kon and Yuasa illustrate this in many of their works.

Hello kitty is also like a God over there.
The Pickled Cactus Himself.
Feb 26, 2020 1:00 AM

Jul 2019
I think it is just cultural differences. I mean I think white people hate raw fish but Japanese folks love that stuff.
Feb 26, 2020 1:02 AM

Jul 2016
AnimeSuckABit said:

Omitting anime of the same genre, they are:

1. Tiger & Bunny
2. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
3. Love Live! School Idol Project
4. Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch
5. Osomatsu-san

Maybe Japan's taste is different than the elitists who are active, but Japan's taste is pretty similar to mine.
Feb 26, 2020 1:04 AM
May 2018
--ALEX-- said:
Dem atomic bombs really did a number on them....

Japanese fans always have shit taste, these people still have flip phones for god sakes!

In terms of design, flip phones are far, far better than smartphones. The smartphone design wasn't made because it was good, but because it is far cheaper to produce. In technology, cheaper usually means bad, and you can see that by the fact that smartphones are much more fragile than flip phones. You really don't want that if you have a brain.... eh, I mean, choice, lol.

Smartphones are only better when it comes to software, but those same software could be used with flip phones and computers.

Anyway, back to the topic. Japanese don't have the same tastes as us for the very simple reason that they don't even have the same tastes between one another. I know, it's difficult to imagine, but Japanese don't all have the same tastes, just like us!

The OP talked about polls, but polls are never representative of anything, because they're always made with extremely small samples. You'll always get different results, even between western polls...

It would be more interesting to check the sales figures. As far as I know, the bestsellers in Japan are the same as the international bestsellers (One Piece, Shingeki no Kyojin, ...).
Dante012Feb 26, 2020 1:10 AM
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Feb 26, 2020 1:09 AM

Nov 2010
It does seem like japanese people are more into idol shows and cute girls than western audience which is most into shonen action. But I think lot of animes that are known and popular in west are still known and popular in Japan as well.

One show that I was surprised Japan liked more than west seems to like is Tiger and Bunny. I really like that show, but it seems less popular and watched in west (MAL for example) than I thought it was.
Feb 26, 2020 1:28 AM

Nov 2013
Really? Almost the same imo. Listed below are both popular in Japan and international.

Big shonen : Naruto, OP, KNY, MHA, etc
Original anime : Code Geass, Madoka, Psycho pass, etc
Sports : Slam Dunk, Kuroko, Haikyuu, etc
A bit bloody action : Jojo, Titan, Fate/Z
Isekai : KonoSuba, Overlord, NGNL
Cute : K-On!, Gochiusa
Feb 26, 2020 1:46 AM
Jul 2018
actually in the video I linked (from 2019), most popular answer was Sword Art Online. The same survey from 2016 showed Love Love! as the popular choice among a random selection of people that were in Akihabara at that moment. And basically no one mentioned any newer shows that were popular in the west at that time.

https://youtu.be/51kkZXYuAb8
vs
https://youtu.be/SrPid1A-eKw
removed-userFeb 26, 2020 1:49 AM
Feb 26, 2020 5:07 AM

Nov 2016
Holy hell why did we revive a thread from 2016

Feb 26, 2020 5:12 AM

Oct 2018
Because we live in a society. And I’m serious, what some people see as disgusting here like lolis is fine over there, which is completely fine. Anime should have never came to the West.
Feb 26, 2020 5:15 AM

Jun 2017
Rabb2t said:

How does someone even find threads from 2016?
http://steinsgate.jp/10th/ FGO:591,495,201 (NA)
Feb 26, 2020 5:16 AM

Dec 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
AnimeSuckABit said:

Omitting anime of the same genre, they are:

1. Tiger & Bunny
2. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
3. Love Live! School Idol Project
4. Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch
5. Osomatsu-san

Maybe Japan's taste is different than the elitists who are active, but Japan's taste is pretty similar to mine.

I’m pretty happy with their number second ^.^
Feb 26, 2020 5:22 AM
Jul 2018
Gamefan121 said:
Rabb2t said:

How does someone even find threads from 2016?

it's called the search function. keywords 'japanese fans'.
Feb 26, 2020 5:50 AM
Jul 2019
No offense but Japanese people can be weird sometimes. I mean, look at their commercials and shows and products. Their culture is completely different from western or country outside of Japan. Isolationism is probably a factor too.
Feb 26, 2020 7:00 AM

Sep 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
Mullerio said:
Different culture.

They might agree with you if, when you exclaim so, you support your thoughts with reasoning and analysis.

I did on multiple occasions, but many still disagree with me and there is nothing wrong with that. My point was that saying "our" in this matter seems pretty foolish to me since there is no such thing as "our" taste when we talk about masses like OP did.
Feb 26, 2020 7:03 AM
Jan 2017
ya_hallo said:
Darekmhn1 said:

Kimi no na wa is an epic masterpiece.

I dropped it after 30 minutes. It was super boring.
Feb 26, 2020 7:29 AM
Apr 2016
Mullerio said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

I did on multiple occasions, but many still disagree with me and there is nothing wrong with that. My point was that saying "our" in this matter seems pretty foolish to me since there is no such thing as "our" taste when we talk about masses like OP did.

I can agree that trying to generalize people here is as foolish as walling off borders.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Great Anime that have 5 seasons or more that is underwatched.

RjtheGreat14 - 2 hours ago

6 by Toooooooooohru »»
29 seconds ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Apr 23

51 by Toooooooooohru »»
4 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

76 by DoctorWasabi »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » are mal reviews full of destructive criticism or constructive criticism?

deg - 10 hours ago

12 by LordSozin »»
13 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

74 by pludel2 »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.