Forum Settings
Forums

I start college in less than 2 weeks. Really nervous

New
Aug 11, 2016 1:11 PM

Jan 2016
I have orientation next week. Tomorrow I plan on ordering a bunch of school supplies from Amazon. Honestly I am just really nervous. Not really sure what to expect. I am kinda excited to have a life again though. Looking forward to get back into the habit of studying and doing well on tests and such.

Aug 11, 2016 1:55 PM

Sep 2012
Just keep in mind that there are a bunch of freshman that are probably just as nervous as you.

The more social you are, the better you get along in college, so make sure to take advantage of the fact that everyone is trying to get adjusted to expand your social circle.

Freshman years are easy. You have plenty of time to just focus on getting adjusted before the work becomes anything resembling difficult.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Aug 11, 2016 1:59 PM

May 2015
Well if you like studying, then that's a good mindset to have when going into college. Anyway, since you're about to begin college, everyone will probably be just as nervous as you. Just stay calm, know when and where your classes are, and pay attention to your professors. College is basically high school, but with a greater workload. However, you are given more freedom with your time, so if you manage your time well with your studying, you'll do fine...

Then again...that depends on how strict your college is...
Aug 11, 2016 2:41 PM

Apr 2013
First off, congrats. You'll have fun in college.

Second, think of college like HS, but with more time to do things for yourself and 110% less bullshit. College years are fun so study hard and enjoy your time.

Third: get a job. You have a lot of time to do things for yourself, but consider getting one, especially on-campus. It's good to have the extra pocket money, plus you won't be relying on your parents to pay for everything.

There's a lot more I'd tell you but those are the three I want to share for now.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Aug 11, 2016 3:04 PM

Mar 2014
Like others have already pointed out, most guys will be just as nervous as you are. It's fairly easy to socialize, even if you are not anextrovert person. It is pretty cool that you are taking it seriously and plan on studying. The good part about college is that you are more independent in every aspect.
I was a freshman at my uni last year and I was incredibly nervous. I know saying this doesn't really help, but it isn't as big a deal as it seems at first.
Aug 11, 2016 7:12 PM

Jan 2013
It's good that you already have a pretty good attitude towards studying at college, keep it up! Socializing at college is easier than it seems at first, so don't worry.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Aug 11, 2016 7:30 PM

Aug 2010
I think it is just like starting school again... There's nothing to worry about.
One thing I learned on my first year of college is that people are more mature in this new stage.
I think you should be worrying with the enormous ammount of work most colleges ask you to do and even while you're having exams!

Besides that, college is a new phase in our lives and it's always good to experience that! Don't worry, I am sure you will fit in right away ;)
Aug 11, 2016 7:38 PM

Aug 2014
In a way, you've been through colleges a lot of times already.
If you have transferred from elementary school to middle school
middle school to high school
high school to college
it's all the same.
just a stepping stone in life.
Aug 11, 2016 7:41 PM

Apr 2014
College is scary because literally everything is expensive, but once you get used to everything college is like, pretty dope.
Aug 11, 2016 9:06 PM
Jan 2015
I remember i was nervous as hell my first day of college, but i remember sitting in my first college class and thinking this is just like high school. As far as studying you are probably going to have to step up you game but other wise college is easier than high school, you have way way more freedom and you don't have to stick to high school schedules. my biggest advice I can give to anyone is to find a career you can get passionate about, when you have a goal to look forward to it makes the whole process less stressful.
Aug 11, 2016 9:19 PM

Nov 2009
I went to a university kind of far away from home so I lived in the dorms, they had freshman move in like a week before classes started so it wasn't too bad. I was more nervous when I saw that a normal bowl of cereal was $6 at the dining hall.
Aug 11, 2016 9:58 PM

Feb 2015
Make sure you join a club or three when you're still starting. Being actively involved in that sort of stuff will really help you build up a social circle and will keep you doing productive things related to your actual hobbies.

EliasRock said:
My biggest advice I can give to anyone is to find a career you can get passionate about, when you have a goal to look forward to it makes the whole process less stressful.

Better to work that out while you're still starting than to find out you don't give a flying fuck about the degree you're studying during your final year.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Aug 11, 2016 10:06 PM

Jul 2012
Just ask questions. Be punctual. Be Positive. Take care of things ahead of time instead of the day of.

Pirating_Ninja said:
I was more nervous when I saw that a normal bowl of cereal was $6 at the dining hall.

Ouch, Were you not on a meal plan or anything because that food is kinda pricey otherwise.
Aug 11, 2016 10:17 PM

Jan 2014
Just chill OP, you will be fine.

Going in my second year, and let me tell you. Skip as much as you can, as long as you know you can pass the tests. College 90% of the professors don't take attendance, and if it's something easy like history then you can just sleep in at your dorm.

Obviously don't skip a class that you struggle with, but you get the point ^^

Also if you hear the fire alarm go off whenever it's nighttime, DON'T go out. When it's past 8:00 it's some ass hat who pulled the alarm for shits and giggles. They kept pulling it at my dorm at 1:00 to 3:00 in the morning
DoctorWasabiAug 11, 2016 10:21 PM
Aug 11, 2016 10:23 PM

Nov 2009
Coolspot said:
Just ask questions. Be punctual. Be Positive. Take care of things ahead of time instead of the day of.

Pirating_Ninja said:
I was more nervous when I saw that a normal bowl of cereal was $6 at the dining hall.

Ouch, Were you not on a meal plan or anything because that food is kinda pricey otherwise.
I was, that was their excuse for charging more - $1,000 = $1,200 meal plan, however you can kind of see how that is still a shit ratio. Ironically, since I only ate 1-2 meals a day, I actually struggled spending all of my cash.

However I've determined that is just college in a nut shell, the dorms cost something like $15,000 a year for a three person room in an area where you could rent a 2 story, 5 bedroom house (including utilities and furniture) for $1,200 a month.
Aug 11, 2016 11:22 PM

Aug 2013
Wew. I start college too in 2 weeks, right before my birthday. xD I'm gonna study programming and media development. It kinda sucks I'll have to start paying around 1k euros once I turn 18 next year though. But I'm lucky with the books. We literally only use one. So I bought that one as well as some sort of math program, cost like 60 euros. Still quite pricey.

waifu4laifu.
Aug 12, 2016 12:08 AM

May 2013
Make sure you kick someone's ass on the first day or you'll have to be a bitch.

Ohhh right this is college not prison. Well then, study hard man! Work hard play hard that really is what works.

And try to be vocal in your classes... professors will look much more kindly upon students who contribute and give them the time of day.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Aug 12, 2016 2:33 AM

Jul 2016
most people are in a very similar boat to you. and so unless you chose to go to a university where you know a low of people will have known each other since childhood, most people will be completely new to you and to each other. it's best to just appear approachable, if you're afraid of openly introducing yourself the best you can do is to appear friendly and perhaps others will approach you.

if your classes are all preselected then congrats! if they're not - better hussle and start begging professors now >< ... maintaining a good relationship with professors is a good idea - in college it's generally a good thing to ask your professors questions after class.
also, if you can, try to speak to upperclassmen - they usually have good advice on what societies to join or advice on which courses will be the easiest to pass ^^

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
Aug 12, 2016 2:36 AM

Apr 2014
Ratchetdude231 said:
I have orientation next week. Tomorrow I plan on ordering a bunch of school supplies from Amazon. Honestly I am just really nervous. Not really sure what to expect. I am kinda excited to have a life again though. Looking forward to get back into the habit of studying and doing well on tests and such.

Make sure you get a anime mouse pad with boobs it will calm you down or one with ass if thats what you prefer
Aug 12, 2016 4:32 PM

Jan 2016
Gonna be ordering school supplies from Amazon tomorrow. Outside of the usual stuff is there anything in particular you guys would recommend.

Aug 12, 2016 4:44 PM

Sep 2015
I remember skipping the first week of college and no one gives a shit about it.

So you'll probably be fine whatever you do.
Aug 12, 2016 6:43 PM

Jan 2014
Tainted said:

Should have just skipped the entire semester like I did with most of my classes. As long as you do good on the exams, then they don't give two shits if you're there or not
Aug 12, 2016 7:15 PM
Apr 2011
I'll be starting graduate school next week, and move in this Sunday, so I'm a bit nervous like you are albeit for different reasons.

I will say this, if you are an extrovert, it will not be hard to make friends in college. You will make friends almost everywhere you go.

As an introvert, I was without friends initially during my freshman year in college...it took a bit before I could find my circle. And granted, once I found my circle, it expanded pretty largely, but INITIALLY it was hard to make just ONE good friend. I would advise to join clubs and extracurricular activities that you are really interested in, as well as trying to make friends with the people on your floor.

As far as the academics goes...unless you are doing Physics, I wouldn't be too worried. Just keep up with your homework from the beginning.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Aug 12, 2016 8:52 PM

May 2013
I'm in the same boat as you. Other than the nervous part. I'm super excited and not really scared at all. I don't expect it to be that different from high school. Just new people, clubs and ways of teaching from profs. Don't worry too much about it.

I don't know about you, but I did that whole pile-up-on-school-supplies for the first day of highschool and I didn't even need half of the shit I bought.
Aug 12, 2016 10:13 PM

Sep 2015
DoctorWasabi said:
Tainted said:

Should have just skipped the entire semester like I did with most of my classes. As long as you do good on the exams, then they don't give two shits if you're there or not

Our university is stricter you need to attend class at least once a week or else you get fucked.
Aug 12, 2016 10:18 PM

Jun 2015
I'm literally in your same situation.

My parents are always getting on my case to get ready when college starts but you just gotta tell yourself that everything's gonna be just fine.

We will survive, man. We will survive.
Aug 13, 2016 12:19 PM

Jan 2016
Ussesa said:
I'm in the same boat as you. Other than the nervous part. I'm super excited and not really scared at all. I don't expect it to be that different from high school. Just new people, clubs and ways of teaching from profs. Don't worry too much about it.

I don't know about you, but I did that whole pile-up-on-school-supplies for the first day of highschool and I didn't even need half of the shit I bought.

I was just about to buy 100 dollars worth of school supplies and than right before I ordered them I realized I have a lot of supplies as it is. So really all I need now are a couple binders and some pens and pencils and that is about it.

Aug 13, 2016 12:47 PM

May 2013
I was just about to buy 100 dollars worth of school supplies and than right before I ordered them I realized I have a lot of supplies as it is. So really all I need now are a couple binders and some pens and pencils and that is about it.

You just saved yourself so much money! :) Goodluck at school!
Aug 13, 2016 1:06 PM

Jan 2016
Ussesa said:

Yeah thanks. I have to go register for classes on Monday and than I have to pay for everything by Wednesday. I haven't applied to financial aid yet. Not really sure how financial aid works anyway but I am trying to get approved for Financial aid before I have to pay.

Or maybe it doesn't matter when I apply for financial aid. Perhaps everything I pay for is covered by financial aid even if I apply for it after paying for everything.

Aug 13, 2016 1:19 PM

May 2014
ugh... I was really excited too until i realised that It was just going to be plain Tiring ..... Now m used to turnin my brain off whenever m in college.
Aug 13, 2016 1:23 PM

Sep 2015
Me too, except it's at the same place as my high school lol and I already know lots of people. Don't really have any proper advice though, so I'll just wish you good luck
Aug 13, 2016 3:14 PM

May 2013
Ratchetdude231 said:
Ussesa said:

Yeah thanks. I have to go register for classes on Monday and than I have to pay for everything by Wednesday. I haven't applied to financial aid yet. Not really sure how financial aid works anyway but I am trying to get approved for Financial aid before I have to pay.

Or maybe it doesn't matter when I apply for financial aid. Perhaps everything I pay for is covered by financial aid even if I apply for it after paying for everything.

Hm, i'm not too sure about how financial aid works in your country but over here, if school starts in Sept then you have to have had to apply for financial aid by June/July (so around 3 months prior to the start of school) because it takes time for them to calculate income, finalize forms and distribute the money. I applied in June and I'm still getting it at the end of September. I defer my fees and pay for the first semester when I get the money from the government.

Financial aid is likely different for everyone due to the amount of income you or your parents receive. Some of my friends receive a couple thousands more than I do because they are either the oldest sibling with multiple children under 18 in the household or their program requires higher tuition and etc.

You should research this up and apply as soon as possible!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

27 by Dracowyn »»
1 hour ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

23 by Ejrodiew »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.