Forum Settings
Forums
Battle Angel Alita
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2010 9:17 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
It felt like the Mangaka was in a rush to finished the story, regardless the action was thrilling. I hope the movie adaptation will do a fine job not like the infamous DB evolution.
7/10
TuzoAnimeJan 23, 2010 9:22 PM
Feb 27, 2010 3:25 PM

Jan 2008
TuzoAnime said:

It felt like the Mangaka was in a rush to finished the story

I agree with that, plus I kind of wished she did ended up with Hugo in the end even though I knew he died... oh well, at least there's still a sequel of this manga who'll probably gives us more information about her past and the universe of this manga. (and more WTF'ing, hooray, that's one thing where the mangaka is REALLY good in I must say.) Maybe that's why it's kind of rushed, because the mangaka did already knew he would make a sequel? I don't know, but I have the feeling that one will get a better end than this one. (hell, I'm only 1 volume in and it's already a lot better than the prequel, but that's my opinion of course... heh.)
ZonakFeb 28, 2010 2:35 AM
Oct 5, 2010 4:29 PM
Nov 2009
I didn't like the ending at all, which is something everyone who has read this manga have in common. Other than that this was an amazing manga, to say the least. I won't read the sequel as I've heard both the storyline and the artwork take a plunge. Anyhow, nine out of ten.
Oct 22, 2010 3:45 PM
Jun 2010
I've read the 6 volume version of this series and it ended when alita's brain exploded because of the baby bomb and Nova collecting the brain, everything after that didn't happen.

I've read everything after that and I have to say it's totally crap and random lol

Anyway I rate the entire series 8/10 considering only the 6 volume version (ignoring the stupid end of the 9 volume version)

Let's attack last order now !

Jun 12, 2011 6:04 PM

Aug 2010
What can I say? It's one of my favorite manga!! Instant favorite of mine.
I don't see such a powerful character development of this level since Berserk. Alita is the most kick-ass female character i've witnessed.
IMO, great artwork, awesome battle scenes, gripping storyline, superb character development.
9/10 for this one. Loved it
Oct 4, 2014 10:54 AM

Jul 2008
Volumes one to eight were fantastic; I couldn't knock 'em. But the final volume and the ending -- too rushed, no substance. Seems like Kishiro might have been under a lot of pressure to quickly finish the series there and then; the pace and material just didn't fit well with the rest of the manga. I'm sad to see Ido was just forgotten about, too. I wish it did end after the baby bomb and picked up from there in Last Order*, where Kishiro had more time to continue the story in a more satisfying, wholly developed way... but I guess he might not have even considered the opportunity for a sequel at the time.

Despite the lackluster ending, the series was still a phenomenal read. Brilliant art, a captivating story -- amazing characters, too. Nova is such an interesting villain and Alita, in my opinion, is one of the best cyborg characters ever. Plus, those octopus lips! Now, let's see what the sequel has to offer...

* Just started Last Order; so glad to see it does!
ToukaOct 9, 2014 5:25 PM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jan 24, 2015 2:31 PM

Jun 2010
Excluding the ending which was rushed and non logical to me, the rest of the series was great. I guess i'ts time to read the sequel
Aug 17, 2015 5:01 AM

Feb 2012
Solid old school cybergore, but also mixed with a good amount of twists and concepts makes this a suprisingly worthwhile read for something with a title like "Battle Angel Alita."
Aug 31, 2016 1:58 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A very satisfying read. Great old school stuff. Agree with most here that feel the ending was rushed and not of the same caliber as the beginning and middle of this story.

Alita is a great character. I really hope Cameron tries to do a film version one day of this.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 6, 2016 3:01 PM

Aug 2013
This was a bizarre, violent, goofy, and corky read and I loved it. The pacing was a little off, but this series really had a unique sense to it, and some really great moments definitely looking forward to reading the sorta kinda sequel.
Nov 13, 2016 12:05 PM

Mar 2016
The beginning was great.

The middle was interesting.

The ending was bad.

I liked Alita throughout tho.
Jan 14, 2017 7:45 PM

Nov 2013
Really enjoyed the story, the characters and the artwork is amazing. The ending felt rushed and was too complex to fully understand.. How did Alita turn into that cocoon to save Tiphares? I guess she held the city in place while the tower was built to stabilize it? What the hell was the MIB? A few unanswered questions, but I had a fun time reading this epic mindfuck of a manga. I may read the sequel one day. Overall, I'm glad Alita made it out alive.

9/10
Aug 16, 2017 11:33 AM
May 2015
I strongly disliked volumes 1-5
I feel volumes 6-7 ok
I loved volume 8 and I absolutely loved the volume 9

Sadly I seem to be alone here.
Dec 11, 2017 9:33 AM
May 2012
I don't know, man. The romance kinda ruined it for me. Still, an alright Manga. I like the art and the cyborg designs. I don't know if I should still read the sequel.
Dec 11, 2017 11:23 AM

Dec 2015
Great revelations in the big last chapters, a disaster finale followed by an emotional epilogue (and important figures fates are all shown).

5/5 Great conclusion !

A very well drawn and atmospheric action cyber-punk manga, pretty good despite the notable slowdown during the sport period (who focused too much on the action ingredient). The ratio of each part wasn't well balanced (just compare the motorball section and the finale) in part because of the author's road accident but the manga's length was the right one, preventing any bogging down coming inevitably in a longer series.
The bad side of this is the lack of resolution for a few intrigues thrown along the way but is softened by this poetic ending.

Score: 8/10

@hubertpivert Not at all, you see?
ppara said:
I didn't like the ending at all, which is something everyone who has read this manga have in common.

Everyone, minus a few persons at the very least...

Zonak said:
Maybe it's kind of rushed because the mangaka did already know he would make a sequel?

No, he had to end his series (after a pause, I think) rapidly because of some incident who prevented him to work at the same pace as before (he got rid of all his assistants)

@Tengai Depends if you were satisfied with the conclusion or are willing to reject it for a few more infos, action, action and action.
Also, you must be highly sensible to have perceived romance in this series, to the point of being disturbed by it.

May 9, 2020:
@ArucardPL I don't even understand why people bother with problems of canonicity (at least, american people, who seem to consider this notion as almost holy). This was the first conclusion brought to the story and it works well enough inside its own series for anyone that wants a self-concluded story with a reasonable length. It's nothing more nor nothing less.
(also, it's better for a fiction to have a conclusion to its main story than to be left unfinished)

November, 2022
Marloges said:
I didn't really dislike the ending (the actual story beats are pretty good and make sense imo) but I agree that it's super rushed and lacks proper build-up. Stuff just happens in ridiculous pace. Glad they don't pick up from that ending in the sequel manga.

But the author, losing its new intrigue in a veeeery long fighting tournament, ended up suddenly replaying this ending (but gave it one or two tomes, this time).
Rei_IIINov 20, 2022 10:23 AM
Dec 11, 2017 11:50 AM
May 2012
Rei366 said:
@Tengai Depends if tou were satisfied with the conclusion or are willing to reject it for a few more infos, action, action and action

Hmmm...I'll probably read it someday.
Dec 12, 2017 5:18 AM
Oct 2010
While it was a rushed ending, but a good one nevertheless.
Jan 3, 2018 10:37 AM

Jul 2015
Tengai said:
I don't know, man. The romance kinda ruined it for me. Still, an alright Manga. I like the art and the cyborg designs. I don't know if I should still read the sequel.

There is no romance in LO, tho. Maybe only few expections.
Jan 5, 2018 1:15 PM
May 2012
LucisCaelum said:
Tengai said:

New characters? Or still Alita?
Jan 5, 2018 2:05 PM

Jul 2015
Tengai said:
LucisCaelum said:

New characters.
Alita just has dilema about FF, but it is not THAT type. I mean, question is not whether she loves FF or not.
There is no triangle for other characters, too.
Jan 6, 2018 6:29 AM
May 2012
LucisCaelum said:
Tengai said:

New characters.
Alita just has dilema about FF, but it is not THAT type. I mean, question is not whether she loves FF or not.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the heads up, bro!
Jan 6, 2018 6:32 AM

Jul 2015
Tengai said:
LucisCaelum said:

New characters.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the heads up, bro!

Yeah, no problem.
Nov 14, 2018 10:33 AM
Aug 2016
This manga makes me want to end myself

Never since Berserk had I witnessed such great potential

Then chapter 35 hits with its unsightly garbage "romance"

Then I manage to get a hold of the DEMON inside me who makes me extremely psychorigid towards SHITTY romances and I continue reading

And it's terribad, super rushed, filled with unfitting comedy and deux ex machinii

Life is shit and there can be no true beauty in it
Dec 23, 2018 8:43 PM

Jan 2018
awesome manga, and i liked the ending. also those blue oyster cult references throughout the whole thing were a nice touch.
Jan 2, 2019 5:23 PM

Aug 2016
As a whole, less than mediocre, cant believe how overrated this manga is
:v
Aug 29, 2019 3:55 AM
Apr 2016
I also think is a overrated, great art and action scenes and fights but i didn´t like how many events just happen a bit too fast without proper build up like Gally falling in love with Yugo almost instantly or the motorball arc or some ilogical or stupid decisions made by some of the characters, or how one dimensional most of the antanogists are, the best one was Nova, he was interesting but the rest not so much, i liked it though, it just that i expected it to be better, i rated it a 7/10, not sure if i will read the sequel.
Dec 11, 2019 12:29 AM

May 2015
A bit rushed at the end, but overall the manga was really good and Alita was a great character. Although at times, her actions and behavior would sometimes bother me, it was more so the times that the mangaka tried to add romance to the story. It just felt so unnecessary and forced. But that was really the only thing I had a problem with. Other than that, I'd give this manga a solid 9/10.
Apr 22, 2020 2:33 AM
Apr 2020
anime always looks great and classic.

May 9, 2020 3:29 AM

May 2008
I don't get why everyone has such problem with the ending, it's not even considered canon...

According to the edition I have (published in 2018), the final canon chapter is Fight 51 "Epitaph" and the story continues in LO, while "Conquest" is considered to be just an alternate ending.
Jun 26, 2020 9:15 AM

Sep 2017
The idiosyncratic references to past philosophers -- Nietzsche, Goethe, Descartes -- was generally superficial and would be considered 'fluff' by most people's standards. Surely, though, the brazen approach is worthy of some praise...it certainly made me bust a gut.

Overall, 'Battle Angel Alita' was exhilarating. The characters, obviously, were run-of-the-mill archetypes with little-to-no nuance, but I wasn't expecting much from the outset. While the ending was satisfactory and provided logical explanations for everything that happened previously, it did leave me wanting more in terms of existential themes and whatnot. It felt like they teased our expectations just enough for a grander explanation to come to the fore, but it never materialized. Not surprising...but still.
Jul 23, 2022 10:35 AM
Dec 2017
good manga overall but the whole ending yeah it does feel rushed as hell.

Nov 6, 2022 3:56 AM

Oct 2012
I didn't really dislike the ending (the actual story beats are pretty good and make sense imo) but I agree that it's super rushed and lacks proper build-up. Stuff just happens in ridiculous pace. Glad they don't pick up from that ending in the sequel manga.
Jan 11, 2023 8:54 AM
Mar 2017
The ending and the revelations about Zalem were underwhelming.
solid manga, shame the quality declined in the final 15 chapters. 
nice to see Alita alive
Oct 10, 2023 1:50 PM

May 2019
IMAGINOS! Lol another BÖC reference. I love you Kishiro sensei.

Yeah this was very rushed, but man I still enjoyed so much of this "ending" that isn't really the ending. So many great plot revelations here. I look forward to what Last Order will be like. I got to say, Alita is such an great character and she is now one of my all time favorite anime/manga characters.
Dec 13, 2023 7:12 PM
Feb 2022
A nice story. Koyomi grown up into a beautiful adult. Good for figure, and Gally for finding themselves again. I will read last order at some moment.

Spanish translation:
Una buena historia. Koyomi creció en una adulta hermosa. Bien por Figure y Gally el haberse encontrado otra vez. Leeré last order en algun momento.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gunnm Chapter 11 Discussion

joe_g7 - Sep 14, 2017

5 by mistercb »»
Mar 25, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Gunnm Chapter 50 Discussion

joe_g7 - Oct 19, 2017

3 by FedeMetal »»
Dec 13, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Gunnm Chapter 49 Discussion

joe_g7 - Oct 19, 2017

2 by FedeMetal »»
Dec 13, 2023 8:09 AM

Poll: » Gunnm Chapter 48 Discussion

Farabeuf - Aug 20, 2016

4 by FedeMetal »»
Dec 12, 2023 7:04 PM

Poll: » Gunnm Chapter 47 Discussion

joe_g7 - Oct 19, 2017

2 by FedeMetal »»
Dec 12, 2023 5:54 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.