Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 16, 2016 6:31 AM

Oct 2009
I think this anime more like Gun Grave (minus zombies) than Baccano...
Good episode, btw...
Don't like it? Just stop watching/reading it. Why become a masochist that keep going through something you don't like and bitching in the end of it?
Jul 16, 2016 6:39 AM

Sep 2015
Great episode. The opening is really amazing. I hate Fango, he's such a disgusting bastard ugh. That cliffhanger tho, didn't expect that.
Jul 16, 2016 7:00 AM

Dec 2015
Great episode, I'm definitely hyped to see where this show is gonna go.

Did Fango just jump off a balcony and clear across the width of the street?
Because even a world record holding long jump champion wouldn't be able to make it that far.
Jul 16, 2016 7:01 AM

Feb 2014
jebus i didnt see that coming...this is gonna be one of my favs this season for sure
Jul 16, 2016 7:22 AM

Jun 2012
Knock on wood, but we may be looking at a classic in the making. 2 great first episodes, great music, beautiful backgrounds, appealing animation, interesting characters so far, a competent plotting MC, and a story that looks like it will have a solid-twist conclusion...

It could go to shit so I'm not gonna say it's the best thing ever just yet... but with the last few years being mostly dominated by cutesy high school shit, 91 days with its mafia killing is a breath of fresh air. Angelo packing a 1911 .45 is fantastic, great iconic weapon.

Also the OP kicks ass! It's really cool to see an American mafia story given this kind of treatment. When the OP chorus hits, magic...

Any show that has an OP which gives you Goosebumps is a keeper IMO.
Jul 16, 2016 7:30 AM
Oct 2011
wow, I am pretty blow away by these two episodes i binged...I was so thrown off by the BDSM scene, completely off guard lol.

I am loving it so but what a cliffhanger!!! :'(
Jul 16, 2016 8:20 AM

Feb 2016
I was in awe, that was fucking good.

Maybe the only good OP this season?

Hope it doesn't end up like K******* or E*****.
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Jul 16, 2016 8:45 AM

Dec 2015
A bit Baccano-style - at least with the mafia and the char design of some guys ha ha. Liked the episode. Looking forward to the next episodes.
Jul 16, 2016 8:54 AM
Sep 2015
Best opening of the season by far.
Jul 16, 2016 9:03 AM
Jun 2016
Kidwoohda said:
I was so hyped for this show, and thank god I was. This episode just sealed the deal for me. Amazing. Also, did anyone else watch after the ending? They pulling Rezero cliffhangers

this show will be puılling re:zero cliffhangers a LOT,I think and even tough we will hate it. It will worth it
Jul 16, 2016 9:09 AM

Apr 2016
The OP is amazing. I love it. Episode 2 was the bomb ; can't wait for episode 3!
:)
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."
~Einstein
(~.~)

Jul 16, 2016 9:10 AM

Apr 2016
raph589 said:
Best opening of the season by far.

Absolutely agreed!
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."
~Einstein
(~.~)

Jul 16, 2016 9:19 AM
Mar 2015
woooooooooow !!! this was really something
i think i'll give it 10 out 10 if the rest episodes was as great as this one
Jul 16, 2016 10:05 AM

Aug 2015
omfg this turned out to be good i felt it was going to be horse crap but it turned out to be decent. the opening was amazing. this series have potential.
Liking traps is gay and liking Lolis is Pedophila.
Come at me bruh!
Jul 16, 2016 10:43 AM

Apr 2015
ED gave me Evangelion vibes. OP was decent.

Great second episode. If this can keep up the tension for the next ten episodes, I'm sold.
Jul 16, 2016 11:31 AM

Jun 2016
when the op played..the only thing i thought of was "OSHIETE~~OSHIETE OH~~~"
Jul 16, 2016 11:47 AM

Jul 2015
Finally a MC who pulls through. Very interesting second episode and it shows a lot of promise.
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Jul 16, 2016 12:19 PM

Apr 2013
I'm already loving this MC, No hesitation and moral pondering about his revenge he just pulls the trigger. That ending had me hooked, can't wait for next week.
Jul 16, 2016 12:37 PM

Dec 2012
That was great, only episode 2 and we get an awesome twist like that.
Jul 16, 2016 2:12 PM

Sep 2009
This was a great episode. I can see this anime being one of the best this season for sure.

I could see some Godfather inspiration in this episode, when Angelo tried to kill Fango, it reminded me of the scene where Vito Corleone went to assassinate Don Fanucci with a pistol wrapped in a towel to drown down the noise from the shots, just like Angelo had in this episode.
Jul 16, 2016 2:14 PM

Jul 2015
The wedding scene kinda reminded me of The Godfather wedding scene.
Jul 16, 2016 2:53 PM
Jun 2016
I'm just gonna stop here and admire the OP.

(WARNING: ESSAY AHEAD and FIRST POST EVER)

First of all, love how it's not just a random mash of scenes and actually reflects a lot about the story, and may even shed more light on Avilio's character. The OP begins with MC walking alone on a bridge, with what seems to be a church in the background. Since the camera is zoomed out, the audience can see the contrast between his size and that of the towering bridge. It's Avilio against the whole world. Questions arise, where is he heading? With such dark colors, cloudy skies, and gloomy atmosphere, we can come to the conclusion that his destination will not be a clear-cut and happy one. The place of worship in the distance can also illustrate that wherever Avilio is headed, he is traversing away from God.

The next scene shows MC running in the woods as a young adult, when it suddenly leaps into the past. Back into the night when he escaped from his family's murderers while stumbling through the forest. Throughout the entire OP, Avilio receives bursts of memories and hallucinations. He sees his parents and his little brother walking in the streets.

A light guitar string trembles as flashes of small hands putting out a candle's wick are overlayed in sepia. Small candle flames symbolize life, and putting it out foreshadows death. There's a scene in first person where you witness MC's younger brother escaping the security of the closet, jumping into the light and view of the mafia. This is the brightest of all the "flashback/memory" scenes, and perhaps illustrates Avilio's greatest regret and core of his guilt.

But it doesn't end here! He's suddenly jolted back into the present, back into reality by none other than Nero! Gone (for now) are the drabby hues of gray and white, and we get to see the festivities of a political marriage. Of course, the sense of fragile peace don't last for long, as the OP suddenly rushes into a scene with Avilio and Nero facing each other, sitting in a candle lit room with only moonshine and themselves to keep company. Oh, and Avilio has a firearm leaning by him. The room doesn't look to be a regular conference room of the Vanetti's, a painting is hung crookedly in the background. Therefore, this may be a semi-spoiler that Avilio and Nero will be partners in an operation sometime in the future.

Next are 2 second flashes of close ups featuring Nero and Cortero, respectfully. This may signify that there is more to these characters than what they are revealing in public. Especially so is the fact that Cortero's eyes are hidden by the reflection on his glasses.

After a montage of more scenes and images dictating the operations Avilio and co. will soon face, comes my favorite scene in the entire OP. It's the closeup of MC's hands holding a pistol, palms shaking and arms twitching in what seems to be nervousness and grief. As he bring's the firearm to rest by his forehead, most of his face is out of view, and instead we are introduced to flashbacks of his brother's smiling inquisitive face and his parent's jovial laughter. He grips the pistol's handle with his right hand, the barrel with his left, eyes shut tight as he steels himself. All the while he seems to caress the gun over his forehead. It isn't until he relives his mother and younger brother's shooting do his eyes pop open and the shaking stops.

I don't know if the scene above is an actual scene or custom for the OP. However, I believe it illustrates just how complex Avilio's character is. Episode 1 and 2 showcased Avilio as clever, manipulative, and cunning, but only in this scene in the opening do we see a more vulnerable side to him. I hope there are more instances of this nature in the series, as it will help flesh out the MC into someone the audience can better relate to. As of now, he is still one of my favorite MC's, but I am hopeful that he will become my favorite.
Jul 16, 2016 3:06 PM

May 2015
Wow, I'm really glad I ended up watching this. It's a bit out of my comfort zone, but that's okay! Everything's going great so far, from the story to the art to the characters. Great opening too. And I'm glad they decided to end with a cliffhanger, that way I'll look forward to it next week, rather than how I felt this week. I kept on putting off the episode because I thought it'd be boring. But not anymore!
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Jul 16, 2016 4:57 PM

Dec 2015
This type of show is why I watch anime~!
Jul 16, 2016 6:05 PM

Mar 2015
Ling Tosite Sigure back at it again. Already a 10/10 for me.
Jul 16, 2016 9:37 PM
Feb 2015
MORE TK GOODNESS, YES OP.
cant wait to whats gonna happen next ep!!
Jul 16, 2016 10:06 PM
Jan 2016
wooo.... that was surely better than first now it's got in my expectation well i like the op more than ed
Jul 16, 2016 10:55 PM
Sep 2014
The opening feels so emotional.

Synopsis says Angelo will infiltrate the family but then they're suddenly pointing guns at each other. How in the world can I wait for one week with this cliffhanger
Jul 17, 2016 12:33 AM

Nov 2012
This was my reaction to that cliffhanger

Personally I don't think Serpente actually died.... it didn't show blood or him actually getting hit.
Jul 17, 2016 4:31 AM
Jun 2016
Ok if I got the names right, it seems that the people from the Vanetti family Avilio was befriending were the ones that killed his parents?
Jul 17, 2016 6:02 AM
Apr 2014
What unlucky turn of events. I'm wondering who removed the body. Maybe he wasn't even dead considering there isn't a single drop of blood around that grave.

This way Angelo can't proof he is innocent in the slightest. I mean he won't die there but this was truly unlucky for him. Should have checked if that guy is actually dead and hide the bodies a little.
Jul 17, 2016 6:04 AM
May 2007
His eyes so pretty. The color ♥
Jul 17, 2016 7:40 AM
Mar 2016
My guess is that for whatever reason, Vanno didn't actually shoot... uh well I forget his name but you know who I'm taking about. Man, this episode was really good. I honestly was caught off guard when Angelo shot Vanno. I have very little doubts in my mind now that this anime will be worth the watch.
Jul 17, 2016 7:44 AM

Feb 2015
Loved it, OP was brilliant, action and immersive feel great. Though I really don't understand the names and families and whatever, I am able to get a good feel of the story. The vengence and deception. That cliffhanger though!
Jul 17, 2016 7:49 AM

Jan 2014
The OP was very good, well so far I liked everything about this series.

The MC is pretty smart, he really pulled this very nice even though he's not experienced enough. I guess the one who took the body is this blonde maniac.
Jul 17, 2016 9:44 AM
Apr 2016
Z-nab27 said:
Ok if I got the names right, it seems that the people from the Vanetti family Avilio was befriending were the ones that killed his parents?

Yes, the man with ginger hair and a revolver in the end scenes, his father and the guy already shot are the ones who came after his family.
I believe Serpente was shot and Angelo did see it all happen since he had to prepare the scene for mafia's examination. What happened is either Serpente survived, divine blessing upon, or got dragged away by someone, could be his former boss.
I believe Fango and Angelo get together and obviously in the end Angelo helps Nero instead of carrying out his vengeance and both retire from the Mafia business... Classic.
Daniel_NaumovJul 17, 2016 9:47 AM
Re:formed
Jul 17, 2016 10:47 AM

Nov 2015
The only character that has stood out so far is Nero. Characters are bland. They need to work on this.
Jul 17, 2016 4:33 PM

Aug 2013
did god write this anime?

5/5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2016 5:20 PM

Jul 2016
dragonofmars said:

5/5

Its really great so far isn't it? Finally something more unique and not the same old generic garbage that we keep getting.

Just hope it sells well in Japan, don't think they like this kind of anime though.
Jul 17, 2016 6:36 PM

Aug 2013
Omni_slash95 said:
dragonofmars said:

5/5

Its really great so far isn't it? Finally something more unique and not the same old generic garbage that we keep getting.

Just hope it sells well in Japan, don't think they like this kind of anime though.

on me, this is better start you can ask for in an anime. but yeah, i kind of feel the same. i dont know for certain but i doubt their will be a huge demographic for this kind of anime. alot of the characters or more laid back & gritty as opposed to wacky & filled with quirks. then their's no moe or bishounen either + no super powers or ecchi.

so yeah, not sure what fanbase is gonna back it. but hopefully that fact (as of now) it's masterfully made is enough to make it money. because i'd definitely love grounded, crime dramas to be the next big trend in anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2016 11:10 PM
Dec 2014
Did Vanno definitely die? Im confused by the after-credit scene
Jul 18, 2016 2:09 AM

Sep 2014
Opening song Kreygasm , on the other side Ending song is pure masterpiece

Felt like Vanno died very quickly ( If he actually died) and as of it.. Angelo now needs just to kill off one member - Nero ? The rest of episode will be 1v1 ? Naah I didn't expect things will be like that but I love the show as it is.
Jul 18, 2016 2:12 AM

Dec 2012
And the opening of the year goes to..

It's always amusing when these mafia guys pray. They're cold blooded killers but they'll always say grace before a meal and give a shoutout to God right before they execute someone. Reminds me of that iconic scene in the first Godfather movie during the baptism.

The ending both before and after the credits blew me away. I thought for sure the killers would be in the Orco family, my jaw literally dropped when Angelo pulled the trigger on Clemente. Then while I was putting it back in place during the ED, they had to make it drop down even lower with the cliffhanger. I think it was especially brilliant how Angelo set it up to look like he had never killed before and more than likely spared Fango to hammer down that he didn't have the guts. Then he just blasts away Clemente without a second thought. Daaaamn.
Jul 18, 2016 4:04 AM

Dec 2012
Ling Tosite Sigure made another great opening! I think I love all their songs used in anime.
The episode was full of plot twist. Avilio had planned such a good plan, but Serpente's body disappeared. Awesome episode, I hope the mafia stories will keep that quality.
Jul 18, 2016 4:48 AM

Oct 2015
Kidwoohda said:
I was so hyped for this show, and thank god I was. This episode just sealed the deal for me. Amazing. Also, did anyone else watch after the ending? They pulling Rezero cliffhangers

Man this episode was great. One of the top shows this Season.

Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don’t care.
Jul 18, 2016 7:38 AM

Mar 2015
Sakaitsu said:
Ling Tosite Sigure made another great opening! I think I love all their songs used in anime.

In fact, it was only TK. Ling Toshite Shigure is a different band, in which he takes part in.
Jul 18, 2016 8:08 AM

Jul 2012
Jusssttt greeeaaatt.
Jul 18, 2016 8:17 AM
Nov 2015
TK-san ; his voice made me remember Psycho Pass. Probably one of the best OP ever !

And about the episode? This one was a decesive one. If it didn't entertain me, I would've dropped this show. But I liked it from the beginnng (From the OP precisely). I expected Oroku family was the one after his family's death. But it was those half-decent people, and that person supposed to be dead ... ?

4/5
Jul 18, 2016 9:04 AM

Jun 2012
This show is solid. Really enjoying it so far. Look forward to where it will go. I hope it's not too short. And that OP is so good.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jul 18, 2016 12:04 PM

Mar 2010
Wow, after it revealed that Vanno killed his parents now that Serpente mysteriously disappear from grave.

Good anime, can't wait for next episode.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2016

449 by pontes13 »»
Apr 3, 4:31 PM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2016

183 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 14, 11:38 PM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

213 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 11, 12:53 AM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2016

119 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 8, 7:21 AM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2016

210 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 5, 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.