Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 15, 2016 11:28 AM

Aug 2013
Am I the only one who just watches this show to see what gets animated and not really expect anything more than just my favorite action scenes shown in motion? If anything, I wished they would have let the studio who animated Kabaneri and Attack on Titan to do this since the styles have some similarities.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 15, 2016 11:47 AM

Nov 2014
They kept hand drawing some scenes and it was pretty damn good. SO WHY NOT THE ENTIRE SHOW UGHHHH
Jul 15, 2016 11:49 AM

Apr 2016
It could be great but this cgi...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Jul 15, 2016 12:01 PM

Jan 2009
lancer35 said:

Come on now. I found it pretty interesting.
The important idea in Berserk of why apostles are apostles.
Ok so I found this episode good, the downsides were the apostle in 3D and censorship of Farnese's crotch but good thing is this wont be censored in home release.
Damn that ending was old school Berserk though, in Windham. Lots of handrawn stuff.
Also many great handdrawn shots of Guts throughout the episode.

I was watching an interview of one of the managers for that anime, and ultimately it is told that the 3D is not used mainly for budget reasons, but for artistic reasons, trying to mix handdrawn & 3D. But they do point out that handdrawn is still vital to them, and to Berserk. I think this is highlighted in this episode, where all the great scenes are handdrawn (except rape horse scene lmao which was handdrawn I guess as 30000% fansservice by our Miura).

That closing Windham scene was really faithful to the manga and great.
I do hope the anime goes to 24 episode and secondly I hope they go 2D alot more, which I feel is foreshadowed by the Windham epilogue. These 3 episodes could really be a prologue to this entire series.

Oh come on, his backstory was literally just "I got beat up 'cus if was ugly/creepy, so I became a demon and killed everyone"
Like there's way more interesting Apostles whose backstory I wanna know. Not to mention all the Apostles whose backstory is already established and is actually somewhat interesting.
But noo they went with this fodder Apostole that no one cares about and is only remembered 'cus he's the first one Guts killed after the Eclipse.
I will admit that I liked the handdrawn stuff, too bad there's way way too little of it.

That just makes me feel worse. Like if this was 'cus of budget reasons I could understand, but nooo they actually decided to do it this way 'cus it's more "artistic". So yea someone actually decided that quality/good visuals are less important than being artsy. God that pisses me off to no end.

Well they skipped the vision/dream of the King, where Griffith appears as if to mock him. Not that big deal really, but I think I would have made a fine addition to the scene.
If they start cutting back on the CGI, I might start cutting the series a bit more slack.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jul 15, 2016 12:01 PM

Oct 2015
Owell, at least this episode was better than the previous 2.

I'm sure somebody has made this joke by now, but boobs are pointless without nipples.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jul 15, 2016 12:20 PM

Oct 2015
_Peksi said:
lancer35 said:

Come on now. I found it pretty interesting.
The important idea in Berserk of why apostles are apostles.
Ok so I found this episode good, the downsides were the apostle in 3D and censorship of Farnese's crotch but good thing is this wont be censored in home release.
Damn that ending was old school Berserk though, in Windham. Lots of handrawn stuff.
Also many great handdrawn shots of Guts throughout the episode.

I was watching an interview of one of the managers for that anime, and ultimately it is told that the 3D is not used mainly for budget reasons, but for artistic reasons, trying to mix handdrawn & 3D. But they do point out that handdrawn is still vital to them, and to Berserk. I think this is highlighted in this episode, where all the great scenes are handdrawn (except rape horse scene lmao which was handdrawn I guess as 30000% fansservice by our Miura).

That closing Windham scene was really faithful to the manga and great.
I do hope the anime goes to 24 episode and secondly I hope they go 2D alot more, which I feel is foreshadowed by the Windham epilogue. These 3 episodes could really be a prologue to this entire series.

Oh come on, his backstory was literally just "I got beat up 'cus if was ugly/creepy, so I became a demon and killed everyone"
Like there's way more interesting Apostles whose backstory I wanna know. Not to mention all the Apostles whose backstory is already established and is actually somewhat interesting.
But noo they went with this fodder Apostole that no one cares about and is only remembered 'cus he's the first one Guts killed after the Eclipse.
I will admit that I liked the handdrawn stuff, too bad there's way way too little of it.

That just makes me feel worse. Like if this was 'cus of budget reasons I could understand, but nooo they actually decided to do it this way 'cus it's more "artistic". So yea someone actually decided that quality/good visuals are less important than being artsy. God that pisses me off to no end.

Well they skipped the vision/dream of the King, where Griffith appears as if to mock him. Not that big deal really, but I think I would have made a fine addition to the scene.
If they start cutting back on the CGI, I might start cutting the series a bit more slack.

It does piss me off too but I guess this is 2016 and some anime studios are experimenting more with this. You're right it wasn't the most interesting apostle, especially compared to the count. Miura clearly intended this fight to be a mix of count/snakebaron story-wise. I still feel somehow even if its not ideal, Miura was looking out for the fans in that episode, which I appreciate.

This episode gets me hopeful for episode 4. Lets just cross our fingers that they are really putting in the work to make this great. Episode 1 was a big shock, but I feel we've gone some way from there.
Jul 15, 2016 12:35 PM

Feb 2015
At least we got a bunch of gore this episode.
One said:
I'm sure somebody has made this joke by now, but boobs are pointless without nipples.
It's hilarious we get to see Guts ripping through monsters with his sword and turning the scene into a bloodbath, but a woman's nipples have to be censored.
Ramkec said:
I'm a simple man, I see Mozgus and his deformed torturers in the preview, I get hyped.
Those guys were the best.
MilenninJul 15, 2016 12:41 PM
Jul 15, 2016 12:40 PM
Dec 2014
Kind of was fun..Apostle's voice was pretty awesome.

That animations though :S
Jul 15, 2016 12:50 PM

Mar 2014
That scene with the horse was one of the most awful things I've seen recently, not only did it look comical it was also missing frames and looking like it doesn't even belong in this anime. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry

And here I was thinking that Mayoiga was going to get the "worst CGI monster" award this year, I was wrong

What's up with this sound design??!! Gut's sword impact sounds the same whether he slices through skeletons, ghosts or hounds!
Jul 15, 2016 12:54 PM

Oct 2013
Well, rape horse scene was bad. Manga felt infinite times more intense.

I feel like it's getting better and better with each episode, maybe I'm getting used to it but tbh I no longer give a fuck about animation, the only problem I had was everything 5x zoomed in in the first episode. They almost fixed it in the 2nd and 3rd episodes and I no longer have any complaints.

Everyone can cry all they want while I sit down and enjoy the rest of the eps.
Jul 15, 2016 1:07 PM

Nov 2011
lancer35 said:
_Peksi said:

It does piss me off too but I guess this is 2016 and some anime studios are experimenting more with this. You're right it wasn't the most interesting apostle, especially compared to the count. Miura clearly intended this fight to be a mix of count/snakebaron story-wise. I still feel somehow even if its not ideal, Miura was looking out for the fans in that episode, which I appreciate.

This episode gets me hopeful for episode 4. Lets just cross our fingers that they are really putting in the work to make this great. Episode 1 was a big shock, but I feel we've gone some way from there.

They used him as fodder because we skipped the arcs where he first encounters Apostles. This was the anime showing us 'This is Guts' objective' since the first two episodes didn't establish 'Apostles' yet. It's preparation so they don't have to explain some things during the next arc. It'd be easy for them to go straight into the stuff, but they're keeping new viewers in mind as well.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jul 15, 2016 1:09 PM

Jan 2009
lancer35 said:

Yea it get that it's the "new" thing right now. Too bad it seems it'll take a while until it's actually good.
Reminds me of watching old movies from when CGI was a new thing...
Yea Apostles like Count and Roshiu were actually interesting and had somekind of personality. Not to mention all the cool apostles from later on. Heck I'd be pretty much more interested in the backstory of the insect knights from Lost Childred lol. Like atleast they put a fight against Guts in the manga.
Yea now that you mention it, it kinda does take all the stuff you learn in those fights and just crams it into this one. Well ya know exept for the part of the Count fight, where Guts shows up a bit of his softer side. I always liked that part a lot, since it shows that even thought Guts seems like a monster, he still has that "softer" human side to him.
I can appreciate the thought, too bad it really wasn't executed well.

Well I still have my Behelit that I got from an old gypsy fortune teller. Maybe Idea of Evil will make the Berserk anime great again, if I sacrifice something.

Jul 15, 2016 1:19 PM

Jan 2009
Ragix said:

They used him as fodder because we skipped the arcs where he first encounters Apostles. This was the anime showing us 'This is Guts' objective' since the first two episodes didn't establish 'Apostles' yet. It's preparation so they don't have to explain some things during the next arc. It'd be easy for them to go straight into the stuff, but they're keeping new viewers in mind as well.

and that's exactly what pisses me off. They skip good arcs completely and then attempt to patch up the story/continuity with this crap. They could have just come up with an anime original Apostle and that would have been fine, well not fine, but better than this atleast.
'cus then they could have made the Apostle actually interesting and it would/could have made more sense that Guts didn't just murder it in 5 seconds.
Also they only established his objective and there's was a lot more stuff in the arcs skipped. Stuff about Behelits, God Hand etc.
and on that subject, if they skip the Count completely. Then that means they skip the first encouter with Griff/God Hand and Guts after Eclipse. and that's some serious BS right there.
Yea they keep new viewers in mind by cutting of lots of plot/character related stuff and instead get to the important stuff. Aka. a random namless fodder Apostle and rape horse

Jul 15, 2016 1:22 PM

May 2015
Hootja said:
Hongu said:
So this is the big Rape Horse scene all the manga readers were hyping up? This is what constitutes as a good Berserk scene?
Stuff like this reminds me of why I haven't read the manga. It's so edgy and full of shock factor, I'm surprised more people aren't calling it out for it, since there's such a hatred towards that type of stuff nowadays. The scene came off as more hilarious than disturbing or shocking. I mean, a horse with a big fat grin raping a girl? Really?

You're right, it's a shit scene.

The manga tanked after the golden age arc and never recovered.

If you watched the original anime then you already got the best this series has to offer. The storytelling in golden age was superb. Since then, there's really been nothing but gratuitous edgelord shit.

What a shame, I really liked the old Berserk anime but if the rest of the manga is like this I would rather pretend they all died in the eclipse day.
Jul 15, 2016 1:37 PM

Nov 2011
_Peksi said:
Ragix said:

and that's exactly what pisses me off. They skip good arcs completely and then attempt to patch up the story/continuity with this crap. They could have just come up with an anime original Apostle and that would have been fine, well not fine, but better than this atleast.
'cus then they could have made the Apostle actually interesting and it would/could have made more sense that Guts didn't just murder it in 5 seconds.
Also they only established his objective and there's was a lot more stuff in the arcs skipped. Stuff about Behelits, God Hand etc.
and on that subject, if they skip the Count completely. Then that means they skip the first encouter with Griff/God Hand and Guts after Eclipse. and that's some serious BS right there.
Yea they keep new viewers in mind by cutting of lots of plot/character related stuff and instead get to the important stuff. Aka. a random namless fodder Apostle and rape horse

Let's be honest though, I guarantee you Berserk would be getting a lot of shit right now if it didn't include 'rape horse'. Hell, you can see it in this thread already that apparently it's what people wanted. People who weren't even mildly interested in Berserk before were getting oddly hyped for that. I agree they could have created a new much more interesting apostle, but I guess that isn't what Miura had in mind (Since apparently he personally had a big hand in this episode)

I bet they're planning to do a flashback episode with Guts and Griffiths' relationship now that we saw that they are doing like 2D flashbacks. The stuff they cut is done, we can't go back, all we can hope for is they don't fuck up the Conviction Arc, which is what they originally planned for anyway. That first episode was as stomach-churning as it can get for me, but if they can really deliver on this Conviction Arc, I might just bite my tongue and say fuck it.
Jul 15, 2016 1:50 PM

Dec 2007
Well i felt that it was better then episodes before. Maybe they rushed this 3 episodes so they can explain a little back story when the skipped so much and now they will go slower. Well lets hope....but i am still enjoying it couse i read manga a long time ago and thoase 2D moments were good.
[center]If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.
Jul 15, 2016 1:50 PM

Jan 2009
Ragix said:
[
Let's be honest though, I guarantee you Berserk would be getting a lot of shit right now if it didn't include 'rape horse'. Hell, you can see it in this thread already that apparently it's what people wanted. People who weren't even mildly interested in Berserk before were getting oddly hyped for that. I agree they could have created a new much more interesting apostle, but I guess that isn't what Miura had in mind (Since apparently he personally had a big hand in this episode)

I bet they're planning to do a flashback episode with Guts and Griffiths' relationship now that we saw that they are doing like 2D flashbacks. The stuff they cut is done, we can't go back, all we can hope for is they don't fuck up the Conviction Arc, which is what they originally planned for anyway. That first episode was as stomach-churning as it can get for me, but if they can really deliver on this Conviction Arc, I might just bite my tongue and say fuck it.

Yea I get that, even I had to give the props for not cutting it completely. Just 'cus it's one of those things you'd expect to get completely censored.
It really weirds me out know that Miura was a major player in this this ep. 'cus you'd think he would know better. Well it doesn't really matter at this point, what's done is done.

You're probably right and that might not be a bad idea, as long as they execute it well.
Sigh true enough. I'm just pinning my hopes(only a fools hope) on the fact that the time-line/continuity is already screwed, so they might include things in different order. I wouldn't mind a shortened versoin of Lost Children or the Duke arc. Heck at this point I'd take anything I can get lol
Yea lets hope they atleast do Conviction arc right. Hopefully they also go bit beyond it, simply 'cus I wanna see that duel on the hill of swords animated(no matter how badly).
Yea I'm kinda on the same boat on this. I'm willing to forget(but not forgive) everything up to this point, if it gets the rest right.

Jul 15, 2016 1:51 PM
Sep 2013
I have one serious issue with this episode...
There were 2 scenes, where they just put 2D picture of character and made it go up and down to simulate walking. One scene was with 'walking' Farnese, the second one was with the general in the end. They just put a pic of a character and shake it...

Also, horse's face look.. funny. Not creepy, just funny. The "painting" was creepy.
Jul 15, 2016 1:58 PM

Nov 2011
_Peksi said:
Ragix said:
[

Yea I get that, even I had to give the props for not cutting it completely. Just 'cus it's one of those things you'd expect to get completely censored.
It really weirds me out know that Miura was a major player in this this ep. 'cus you'd think he would know better. Well it doesn't really matter at this point, what's done is done.

You're probably right and that might not be a bad idea, as long as they execute it well.
Sigh true enough. I'm just pinning my hopes(only a fools hope) on the fact that the time-line/continuity is already screwed, so they might include things in different order. I wouldn't mind a shortened versoin of Lost Children or the Duke arc. Heck at this point I'd take anything I can get lol
Yea lets hope they atleast do Conviction arc right. Hopefully they also go bit beyond it, simply 'cus I wanna see that duel on the hill of swords animated(no matter how badly).
Yea I'm kinda on the same boat on this. I'm willing to forget(but not forgive) everything up to this point, if it gets the rest right.

I'm not too sure where Miura's train of thought was either. This episode was weird to say the least because it had the right 'context' from the manga to still make Farnese fucked in the head for the future arc, but took some strange turns. Like the apostle was just 'wat' cause he's pretty much pulled straight from the manga earlier as the Dragonslayer's first victim.

Gotta just stay hopeful for this next arc. Been waiting for a Berserk anime for a long time that actually takes place after the Golden Age Arc, but I don't think any of us were expecting it to turn come out like this.
Jul 15, 2016 2:07 PM

Mar 2013
This episode reminds me of what Berserk used to be... Loved it
Jul 15, 2016 2:11 PM
Jul 2018
Hongu said:
So this is the big Rape Horse scene all the manga readers were hyping up? This is what constitutes as a good Berserk scene?
Stuff like this reminds me of why I haven't read the manga. It's so edgy and full of shock factor, I'm surprised more people aren't calling it out for it, since there's such a hatred towards that type of stuff nowadays. The scene came off as more hilarious than disturbing or shocking. I mean, a horse with a big fat grin raping a girl? Really?

It's a joke. No one actually considers it a good Berserk scene, it's a meme.

Anyways, I liked the new story. It was alright. But the animation I feel got even worse. There are parts where it is so goddamn choppy I wanted to cry. The camera direction is a mess, and the pacing is atrocious. This isn't acceptable for a professional animation.
Jul 15, 2016 2:12 PM
Mar 2016
Knight231 said:
Farnese looks so weird without nipples lol
the fight between guts and the apostle is total shit though

Farnese without the nipples, agree, they even have to black out her pussy, even thought we won't be seeing any of her bush.
Jul 15, 2016 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
Kidwoohda said:
They kept hand drawing some scenes and it was pretty damn good. SO WHY NOT THE ENTIRE SHOW UGHHHH

Are you kidding? The frame rate of the hand-drawn scenes was horrendous. Not 'pretty damn good' in the slightest.

revengerofdeath said:

I will agree that I enjoyed the dark tone and disturbing scenes, but they handled it horribly.
Jul 15, 2016 2:18 PM

Jan 2009
Ragix said:

I'm not too sure where Miura's train of thought was either. This episode was weird to say the least because it had the right 'context' from the manga to still make Farnese fucked in the head for the future arc, but took some strange turns. Like the apostle was just 'wat' cause he's pretty much pulled straight from the manga earlier as the Dragonslayer's first victim.

Gotta just stay hopeful for this next arc. Been waiting for a Berserk anime for a long time that actually takes place after the Golden Age Arc, but I don't think any of us were expecting it to turn come out like this.

Yea it's really weird in that sense. It's like they what they were doing, but on the same time they had no idea what they were doing. Like it accomplises what it was supposed to when it comes to Farnese and her character, but it completely drops the ball outside of that.
Yea they totally just went
"oh crap I forgot we need an Apostole for this scene, but we can't use any of cut ones or the ones relevant later on"
Then they decided to take the one Apostle that people would totally forget, if it wasn't first one Guts kills with Dragonslayer and then quickly slapped on a backstory(pretty half-assed on at that)
His only purpose and reason for existance was to show off Guts and his new arsenal in the manga.
So yea obviously there wasn't that much effort put into creating him in the first place. Bringing him back now just seems so wrong.
Then again what do I know. He might be Miura's personal favorite or he might a huge underground fanbase lol

Hope is pretty much all we got left at this point, so might as well cling to it as long as possible.
I've been waiting for this since I first read the manga(after watching the anime) So yea it's just been a bit over decade lol
I was afraid it would turn out something like this, but I refused to belive it unti lthe first ep.

Jul 15, 2016 2:32 PM

Mar 2014
HikariJake said:
Kidwoohda said:

Are you kidding? The frame rate of the hand-drawn scenes was horrendous. Not 'pretty damn good' in the slightest.

revengerofdeath said:

I will agree that I enjoyed the dark tone and disturbing scenes, but they handled it horribly.

I agree with the 2D not looking very good (mostly because of the number of frames), but considering the amount of 2D they're actually using (like, maybe even half of the running time?) I do have to wonder why they went with CGI in the first place, what's the point? (I mean, look at that rape horse, half of it was (horrendous) 2D and the other half 3D, why go through the trouble of making an entire 3D model for one scene?!) Might as well have hired a bunch of talented 2D animators and do they entire thing in 2D. I mean there's a bunch of animators out there who worked on the Berserk movies not too long ago, they could've hired them.
Jul 15, 2016 2:38 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
LMAO, it's kinda funny how Rape Horse-san was actaully adapted. Nice jot there :D

4/5
Jul 15, 2016 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
This really burned my brain and my eyes already. And the CGI Horse is on a whole new level of bad.
Jul 15, 2016 2:59 PM
Dec 2012
A new episode, yay

Soo far, the series pros/cons are:

Pros:
-Based on berserk

Cons:
-Everything else
Jul 15, 2016 3:05 PM

Jun 2016
I basically just keep on watching this show to have some good laughs.
THE SMITHS ARE THE BEST BAND
Jul 15, 2016 3:31 PM

Jul 2014
I like how they decided to explain that Guts is hunting Apostles by going to the mansion. I think Miura did a good job with this episode.

I totally didn't expect them to adapt the rape horse scene and the possessed Farnese scene to be perfectly honest (although it was quite censored).

Farnese going through a traumatizing experience was needed for her to believe in demons and give her the needed character development that she needs for the future.

Really dug this episode..can't wait for next one.
Jul 15, 2016 3:59 PM

Jul 2011
lancer35 said:
AvidAnimeViewer said:
Jesus Christ why do they even bother using 2D if it's gonna look even shittier than the CG? Even the 2D in Kingdom wasn't that bad.

Why complain about 3D and 2D when there is Horse-D?

Lies that horse didn't had a D, it was clearly castrated!

Now onto more serious matters.

Hongu said:
Teacher_Priest said:
The point of all those scenes are to traumatized Farnese. The edgyness has a point. I can totally believed that she is traumatized from this experience.
That's a pretty cheap and hamfisted way of garnering sympathy for a character. I know Miura has a huge fetish for rape but it's the cheapest method in the book for trying to develop a character with a 'tragic past', especially when the rape is as silly and comical as this.

This episode adapted 2 whole chapters + a bad silly filler, into a baldly passed 20 min of bad CGI which removed the tension and a lot of the exposition that the manga provided, for example if you are to include an apostle, then there's no real need for the horse, really, the apostle already had the role of the horse covered... plus since this shit ignored the previous arc in which Farnese appears for the first time and explains some of the reasons for why she is hunting Guts, her character loses part of her background as a person immersed in denial.
Farnese is supposed to be a devote believer with a fetish for sadism, although badly done, it was explained in this episode, who doesn't believes in evil spirits or none of that stuff, again explained in this episode in a rushed way, as a result she blames Guts for a bunch of crimes committed in the previous arc (which were product of an apostle and some evil spirits, not really Guts fault, that part was not covered in this series, and probably will not be).

On this episode she was to come face to face with the reality of things, her world view and faith would be confronted and shattered as a possessed horse attempted to rape her (because the demon dogs were not enough for her to face the truth of the matter), then as she is possessed she has to face the fact that not only is she not all that much of a believer she is just some pervert woman, and a big coward that excuses her actions with a cheap religious discourse. After realizing this, she decides to hide the truth by trying to silence Guts for neither she nor the world can know that she is just some sinner like everyone else, for Farnese this is a huge deal, no idea if this piece of shit anime will do a good job exposing this, but Farnese has a thing for burning people at the stake, so being reduced to their level is a serious issue.

Lastly you are not supposed to feel sympathy for Farnese, for the most part she is a despicable character, you are not supposed to pity or feel sorry for her, and if you somehow relate to her then you have made some bad life choices, you only have to know where she is coming from, and how she reflects the current state of the world, as the story advances we come to know that Farnese is just one of many in a similar sinking boat. Farnese is not really traumatized by Rape Horse's attempted rape (the one traumatized by rape are Guts and Casca, for Farnese the shocking factor is that the horse was possessed by something that should not exist and is now talking and acting with evil intentions, a betrayal of everything she believes in), she already was traumatized from the start by some completely different circumstances which pushed her to become who she was, Rape Horse role was to make Farnese realize that her life was build upon a big lie but in order for that to happen she had to be intimately approached twice in the most forceful of ways.

As a manga reader i am really disappointed with this adaptation, and seeing as how anime only watchers missed the point of this whole intervention with the horse and the possessing spirit, which where clearly downrated by an annoying retarded apostle, i can reaffirm that this is indeed is just a trashy product. It gets even worse knowing that Miura approved this... BTW the popularity of the rape horse is just because it serves as meme material, not because of its "key" role in the story.
DoomroarJul 15, 2016 4:05 PM
Jul 15, 2016 4:04 PM

Mar 2016
Hongu said:

You're letting a bias towards lesser works affect your mentality on a manga you've never once given a chance.

Berserk isn't about shock. It's a dark story and it needs these horror elements otherwise the story would have virtually no weight.

You can't judge a scene in this anime to represent the same tone as the manga. It's 17 volumes in, firstly (and you've been with Guts that entire time and know why he's tormented) and it comes off as genuine horror in the manga when that horse attempts to rape Farnese and then Guts immediately flashes back to the Eclipse and Casca.

You're judging apples and oranges here. Don't bring up the manga with criticism until you've actually read it, thanks.

Quetzaly said:
Hootja said:

You're right, it's a shit scene.

The manga tanked after the golden age arc and never recovered.

If you watched the original anime then you already got the best this series has to offer. The storytelling in golden age was superb. Since then, there's really been nothing but gratuitous edgelord shit.

What a shame, I really liked the old Berserk anime but if the rest of the manga is like this I would rather pretend they all died in the eclipse day.

Don't go on this idiot's opinion alone, especially if you've never actually READ THE MANGA yourself (not just the first anime). He's in the extreme minority.
CrimsonCWJul 15, 2016 4:51 PM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jul 15, 2016 4:22 PM
Oct 2010
After the eclipse how is the rape horse even considered shock value? How is it more shocking than what happened during the eclipse? Or even stuff they showed prior to the eclipse? Some of you guys are true jokers.

Shock factor is truly one of the most meaningless things thrown around these days. Nothing can have graphic scenes without them being considered shock value. News flash, the graphic nature is used to further portray how fucked up the world is. After them showing so much stuff already, how do scenes like this still be considered shocking?
Jul 15, 2016 4:53 PM

Oct 2013
Is it just me that's getting used to the CGI or was the animation actually better than the first two episodes? It didn't really bother me as much this episode
Jul 15, 2016 5:02 PM

Apr 2012
I'm enjoying it, I just couldn't make out what was happening at a few points.

Don't know why his sword is making metal-on-metal sounds when he's killing animals...
Jul 15, 2016 5:05 PM

Oct 2010
Really need a containment thread for all the CGI haters.

Yes, we get it, you think it looks like shit. That was made abundantly clear in the Episode 1 thread.
Jul 15, 2016 5:10 PM

Feb 2016
Is there a reason why the girl doesn't have nipples?
Jul 15, 2016 5:10 PM

Dec 2013
CGI is still pretty poor but I still enjoyed this episode. So happy that the rape horse got animated lol
Jul 15, 2016 5:19 PM

May 2012
Another good epsiode. best one so far. Glad to see some of the old characters like Charlotte and her father.

Rekien said:
A new episode, yay

Soo far, the series pros/cons are:

Pros:
-Based on berserk

Cons:
-Everything else

It seems that you spend your time on analyzing the animation instead of enjoying the anime. I did not even see the image you posted when I were watching the OP, nobody is going to notice this one frame when playing the video.

Story is more important to me than visual/animation. I rather have good action story with bad visuals (I personally don't find Berserk visuals bad. I say it is average or acceptable) than having boring slice of life/school anime with ufotable visuals
Jul 15, 2016 5:22 PM
Jan 2016
how could someone enjoy this artwork i mean look at Farnese she was mostly naked in this episode but i didn't have slightest of erection while watching what with those boobs which don't bounce even she runs around

overall i enjoyed the episode(well the story was interesting)
Jul 15, 2016 5:37 PM

Jun 2013
that poor horse and she has no nipples
Jul 15, 2016 5:42 PM

May 2012
OneNaughtyBear said:

How can they show nipples on TV ?! I prefer no nipples than putting white clouds to hide the boobs like most ecchi anime that air on TV
Jul 15, 2016 5:47 PM

Feb 2016
thepath said:
OneNaughtyBear said:

How can they show nipples on TV ?! I prefer no nipples than putting white clouds to hide the boobs like most ecchi anime that air on TV
Um, what? The same way they show nipples in movies and subscription TV channels. Berserk is rated R. Besides, with all the blood and gore, along with horse rape, how are nipples bad?
Jul 15, 2016 5:47 PM

Nov 2014
It was enjoyable overall, but it seemed to pass too quickly on some important parts.

Jul 15, 2016 5:50 PM

Feb 2016
Aww shit. She was already a machoist and the spirit turned her into an extreme machoist.

Rub that big fat sword in my sensitive spot Guts while I choke you with string. Oh, oh, oh yessss.
Jul 15, 2016 6:00 PM

Sep 2012
I can't say that this is a good anime because it clearly isn't (since the visual construction is that bad), but I think that the story make sense up here. I know they're skipping somethings and changing others, but I can get the plot and the feeling of the characters and if I get used to the animation I can have a good time watching it. I wish they would have more money for the project...
Jul 15, 2016 6:57 PM

Jan 2009
Wait that ending calling Griffith got me so hyped!!
Jul 15, 2016 7:26 PM

Feb 2014
They actually did the horse rape scene, I'm impressed.

So, anyone can explain me why the apostle became one in the first place and what happened to the girl? I didn't quite understand.
Jul 15, 2016 7:27 PM

Dec 2012
Guts smashing those dogs & that Apostle.
Farnese getting possessed & nearly getting raped by a Horse.
That sure pissed off Guts.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jul 15, 2016 7:38 PM

Jun 2010
Episode scrapes by on just being okay IMO. The new Apostle was necessary to give some background on Guts journey, but it was only necessary because they cut out the Snake Baron, the Count and Rosine arcs. Framerate was inconsistent and choppy during actions scenes and I honestly found the fight pretty hard to follow (took a while for me to register how the Apostle had Guts's leg in his jaw and how Guts managed to end up below the stairs). The Apostle himself had pretty lack-lustre characterisation too, coming off as a poor man's version of the Count. It's going to be jarring to see Guts going from fighting this goober to Mozgus in this adaptation :-S. Although with Mozgus so close now they must be adapting up to just before the Fantasia arc, which is way further than I was expecting them to go. Oh well, least that means we'll get to see plenty of Serpico.

Also I was legitimately surprised they adapted the rape horse considering how much they've already changed. Guess they like all of the stupid jokes people make about it too.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

990 by Bruh69XD »»
Apr 30, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

181 by Xxbrunoguerra »»
Mar 12, 6:58 PM

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

30 by Old_School_Akira »»
Dec 31, 2023 6:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2016

285 by Ere14 »»
Nov 11, 2023 4:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.