Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (28) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »
Jun 26, 2016 11:36 PM
Jun 2016
I know it isn't the best way to resolve this or the most interesting way but after cringing the whole episode, just Return by Death, Subaru, please. This will be a blot in your whole relationship. I hate blots in relationships, though they may be more realistic and even beneficial. But I hope he resets soon. He was just so humiliated and saddened by how she thought of him and disheartened by how she wants to put distance in between them. I feel bad for him. I know how he feels a bit.
Jun 26, 2016 11:39 PM
Jun 2016
This part make me feel.....hmmm
I will wait for eps 14
Jun 26, 2016 11:40 PM

Dec 2013
Xilium7 said:
I just can't get on this "Subaru is normal" train. Everything he does is stereotypical shonen protagonist BS, he just happens to suck at it. If he were normal, this show would have ended with episode 2 when, after dying and resurrecting the first time, he would be like "fuck this shit, I'm out". At best, we would have had an anime about him trying to get back home.

Instead, in typical shonen protagonist fashion, dude becomes obsessed with protecting the main heroine, because reasons, and develops some sort of hero complex. Unlike most protagonist though, he's weak and things don't just magically work out for him, which might have been interesting if not for the fact that he's immortal and that all just becomes a moot point.

The show sets this dude up as someone from the "real world". You would think that after realizing he wasn't some chosen one manga protagonist he would at least stop with the heroics. At the very least, you would expect him to become a more intellectual character given his circumstances but nope. Instead we get a guy that is constantly getting into fights he knows he can't win, creepily stalking the main heroine, becoming best buds with people that killed him, and frequently having emotional outburst/fits. Typical anime shit.

Normal, he is not. At best, he's crazy and needs to be put into a mental institution. At worst (and more likely) he's, by design, a shitty shonen protagonist. In any case, he's not an interesting character, he's just plain annoying and drags the rest of the show down.

^^THis x100 times
Jun 26, 2016 11:42 PM

Apr 2014
It only took 13 episodes for anti hype bandwagon to catch on lol

As for the show its consistently fun to watch.
Jun 26, 2016 11:42 PM
Jun 2016
What truly pisses me off is people have kept talking how lame mc like kirito are, now we finally get a good one like subaru with many faults and people still complain
Jun 26, 2016 11:46 PM

May 2016
moodie said:
It only took 13 episodes for anti hype bandwagon to catch on lol

As for the show its consistently fun to watch.
I don't think anyone should care because we know how the story it's going to turn out.

It's not a Kabaneri or Kiznaiver situation.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jun 26, 2016 11:48 PM

Apr 2014
mohamedgx said:
What truly pisses me off is people have kept talking how lame mc like kirito are, now we finally get a good one like subaru with many faults and people still complain
People complain when their anime doesnt go there way. Classic plebs imo.
Jun 26, 2016 11:50 PM

Dec 2013
Fai said:
TeamDalaiLana said:
The overreactions.... I can see people having a huge fit when the show ends.

Because it will NOT be your typical HAPPY ending show.

I honestly hope people are prepared for the absolute depressing nature of what's to come.

For me I think that's just beautiful. I love sadness and depression so it's perfect.

TeamDalaiLana said:

ummm no? That would be a very cliche protag.

A protagonist is simply the lead character. It could be a villain, an idiot, anyone.

He should not be despicable inconsistent stalker. Especially not in the show which is entirely based around viewers caring about the protagonist succeeding.

At least Akame ga kill had a clear direction, and the drama most of the time was well justified even if Tatsumi was ''i will protect u all'' nerd generic MC.It made sense. ''Burasu'' gives his life for a maid he met a few days ago, and in the previous time loup he killed him.LMAO
SubxaeroJun 26, 2016 11:55 PM
Jun 26, 2016 11:51 PM
Jun 2016
For starters, let me say that this ep is just great. It succeeded on jiggling my emotions up, I'm starting to see him as a human rather than a protagonist.

I can't say that I couldn't sympathize with Subaru though, I mean, suddenly teleported to another world where he literally knows no one. There the mary jane Emilia appeared and saved him, mentally and physically. Dying so many times just trying to make it better and he had to redo all from zero with one sided relationship, the unknown of what would happen from the result of something he does or doesn't.

It's just different if i have to compare it to Okabe, since Okabe doesn't die in the story. On the other hand Subaru has to die first before 'reset' happens. Looking from Subaru's perspective it's probably not fair that Emilia could go somewhere to do something that he doesn't know shit. After all, he literally died that many times to save her. To have our hard work (in this case, death) goes unpaid, could things be shittier than that?

on the other hand Emilia could only see but a person weirdly attached to her, overly energetic, overly positive average dude with no common sense in that world, suddenly going off about doing things for her and blabbing nonsense.

Now I'll just read the Web novel. can't wait for another week
Jun 26, 2016 11:52 PM

Jun 2007
Jakez123 said:
eso18 said:
In the middle of episode I was preparing myself to hate on Subaru on few forums. How his character suddenly degreased and how he suddenly does one stupid thing or another for Emilia, without considering her situation at all. Generally I wanted to hate on him for being stupid MC who started doing stupid stuff all just for story purposes so the story can continue with election with Subaru taking part in them as well. Show has to include it's protagonist in the show's main storyline.

Still as much as I wanted to hate on him, when the last scenes appeared it hit me, that even though the second arc was successfully completed, Subaru is far from being mentally stable... quite the opposite in fact. He took part in two arcs, and with his effort those two stories ended up good but at this point he has reached the assumption that if he doesn't do well, the next problem will continue until he saves the day again, and before that happens he will have to die, times and times again.

I'm getting the same vibes, think of his mentality, at the start he's half decent. But as he goes on, he keeps dying, no one remembers who he is, he has to constantly re-live the days over and over again until he gets a good outcome for everyone. He has to then constantly rekindle his relationships with his friends over and over again.

He's obviously becoming mentally unstable.

It reminds me of Steins;Gate, in that Okabe slowly goes mad from continuously time leaping over and over again. Going from someone who cared about his friends and being genuinely sad by Mayuri's death, to someone who would stick around to see how she would die or try and get Daru run over to see what would happen - His entire reason for time leaping was to protect people, yet at the end he wanted to hurt and rape his friends. I think Subaru is going through that, but in his case - it's kind of worse than Okabe's, Okabe has friends to rely on (Makise, Suzuha, Daru etc.), Subaru has no one, he can;t get help, he's essentially on his own. I feel bad for him.

But yes, I was thinking "Go jump off the roof and reset you scrub, you done fucked it up".

Or at least keep committing suicide until you can beat Julius, that would be pretty sick, from other people's perspective,he goes from absolute loser with mediocre skills to a swordmaster in the blink of an eye. And then everyone will be like "wtf?"

I agree. The poor guy's been getting killed over and over again for about a month or two and people expect him to still be mentally stable? This episode was proof that he's hit the breaking point. I can only hope that the next few episodes will revolve around him regaining at least some of his sanity but my suspicion is that wont be the case. He'll probably be killed by a knight or something stupid.
Jun 26, 2016 11:56 PM

Dec 2012
Barusu goofed real hard at the end there. Hopefully his next checkpoint isn't after that if he happens to die sometime in the near future..
Jun 27, 2016 12:00 AM

Sep 2015
Subaru got put in his place! Man, I really feel for him, I'm surprised he hasn't just absolutely lost it by now, well I guess he will soon? Oh Emilia if only you knew.

ReZero ranked 39?! Wow.
Jun 27, 2016 12:01 AM

Apr 2015
Subaru committed only one mistake.. be a human

Post Traumatic 2 War Soldiers can anwser your question about Subaru actions.
Jun 27, 2016 12:07 AM
Jun 2016
Maybe something happened in Emilia-tan's past that has made her think everyone is selfish and is out for their own goals. Not that I don't think Subaru was being selfish but remember she always thinks of her good deeds as her selfishness. I think they are connected. It's like she doesn't trust Subaru, she looked mortified when she saw him with Priscilla, like she thought that he changed sides. She may have a fault too, a wrong mindset, though I'm just speculating.
Jun 27, 2016 12:21 AM

Sep 2015
Man that was REALLY Hard to watch.......while I'm sure this is what would happen with classic PTSD, It still doesn't make it less cringe worthy. This is the first episode in this series that I not only didn't like but hated. Hopefully he gets himself in a stable mind set though I doubt it. Hope next weeks episode is better.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Jun 27, 2016 12:27 AM

Jul 2012
QcK_Dagger_HeaT said:
Man that was REALLY Hard to watch.......while I'm sure this is what would happen with classic PTSD, It still doesn't make it less cringe worthy. This is the first episode in this series that I not only didn't like but hated. Hopefully he gets himself in a stable mind set though I doubt it. Hope next weeks episode is better.

Yeah it was pretty cringe worthy but I think that's how they intended it. I enjoyed it although I enjoy episodes where he is in control of the situation a lot more but this is his first try on this part so of course it never goes down perfectly, He can't always be in control and he still doesn't completely understand the world he's in or how his action effects those around him.
Jun 27, 2016 12:30 AM

Sep 2011
At this point, he should kill himself now because he already lost the reason to live. Unless one of the candidates(Most likely Priscilla or Felt) will adopt him and make him more mentally stable.

I do understand Subaru since I was on that same boat as him but Emilia is right, he's doing those for himself and not totally for her. Resetting and make different choice will be the best option for him.

Jun 27, 2016 12:35 AM
Jun 2016
QcK_Dagger_HeaT said:

judging from the flow, next ep would be just the same atmosphere i think, with all the consequences of all shit he done being thrown straight into his face.

I'd take 2 or more ep till he bounces back and appear as a changed man. Remember, there's 24 ep lol
Jun 27, 2016 12:37 AM
Jun 2016
Tennouji said:
At this point, he should kill himself now because he already lost the reason to live. Unless one of the candidates(Most likely Priscilla or Felt) will adopt him and make him more mentally stable.

I do understand Subaru since I was on that same boat as him but Emilia is right, he's doing those for himself and not totally for her. Resetting and make different choice will be the best option for him.
Agreed, with all those knights aiming at his neck, he'd be better restarting. Though restarting would mean worsening his mental states even more
Jun 27, 2016 12:45 AM

Sep 2011
Tyrina said:
Tennouji said:

Agreed, with all those knights aiming at his neck, he'd be better restarting. Though restarting would mean worsening his mental states even more

Well of course he shouldn't just simply restart without making a plan and not making himself dedicated to his next choice/path and be now stable/rational. Take at the episode where he kills himself after discovering Rem is the one who's attempting to kill him(Or Ram wants to kill him, I forgot which) as his best example.

Jun 27, 2016 12:47 AM

Feb 2015
stone616 said:
Tevens said:
I can only see people insulting this anime just because the mc being stupidly cringe in this episode so....i'm out of this thread. Looks like many people doesn't give a fuck with the plot development, characterization and the plot development anymore.....so im out.

The anime would be so much better with a mc who was actually a likable person and who had decent sense.

The idea of him being her knight is laughable. He's just a human punching bag who's only real value is to make mistakes and die so he can later avoid them.

He thought some black smoke was gonna be the difference between him and a guy who likely trained all his life to be what he is.

That being said I'm at least curious about the plot points they keep avoiding like the curse, witch, and why he was brought to the world so I keep watching in hopes that the source material has actually reached a point to explain any of that so it can be animated.

well, someone finally understand what's going on. i can't talk back if you dislike what subaru did in this episode cause i really dislike it but the execution, imo, really great. well, most people would obviously dislike the mc if the mc did a very stupid thing xD
Jun 27, 2016 12:47 AM

Apr 2014
Subxaero said:
mahoupenisu said:

ngl...this anime being ranked #39 of all time bothers me. i get that everything on this site is wildly overrated, but #39?

WHat bothers me is that this anime is not even a good anime that has been overrated to ''classic'' but its an overall mediocre anime with many flows. I myself dont like a few top 50 animes, but every single of them has something to justify it.THis anime is a total mess,

Dude. Why are you bothered about people liking this show and rating it high? You do realize not everyone have the same tastes and preferences right?
Jun 27, 2016 12:49 AM

Feb 2015
bacapo said:
Tevens said:
I can only see people insulting this anime just because the mc being stupidly cringe in this episode so....i'm out of this thread. Looks like many people doesn't give a fuck with the plot development, characterization and the character d
evelopment anymore.....so im out.
Maybe they are shock, most anime only give good things from good side. Can't deny Subaru character is ugly and bad but that make him normal realistic naive human boy, and it's more interesting how story will developing him.

yeah, i can't deny that too. i really dislike subaru in this episode. but if we think at how they executed the plot and character development, i think it was a great execution for subaru and emilia character in this episode.
Jun 27, 2016 12:52 AM

Feb 2015
Tennouji said:

agree. and probably we will be seeing another death in the next episode lol xD
i just don't know how he will die tho....
Jun 27, 2016 12:58 AM

Sep 2015
Tyrina said:
QcK_Dagger_HeaT said:

judging from the flow, next ep would be just the same atmosphere i think, with all the consequences of all shit he done being thrown straight into his face.

I'd take 2 or more ep till he bounces back and appear as a changed man. Remember, there's 24 ep lol

Haha yea that's true and I think the third novel will be adapted for the rest of the episodes from what people were discussing. I think this arc is a pretty big arc. Hopefully we will bounce back though
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Jun 27, 2016 1:05 AM

May 2016
Great episode! Subaru feels really real, at least in comparison with other similarly-placed characters in fantasy worlds. Can't wait for more.
Jun 27, 2016 1:07 AM

Dec 2013
Subxaero said:
Xilium7 said:
I just can't get on this "Subaru is normal" train. Everything he does is stereotypical shonen protagonist BS, he just happens to suck at it. If he were normal, this show would have ended with episode 2 when, after dying and resurrecting the first time, he would be like "fuck this shit, I'm out". At best, we would have had an anime about him trying to get back home.

Instead, in typical shonen protagonist fashion, dude becomes obsessed with protecting the main heroine, because reasons, and develops some sort of hero complex. Unlike most protagonist though, he's weak and things don't just magically work out for him, which might have been interesting if not for the fact that he's immortal and that all just becomes a moot point.

The show sets this dude up as someone from the "real world". You would think that after realizing he wasn't some chosen one manga protagonist he would at least stop with the heroics. At the very least, you would expect him to become a more intellectual character given his circumstances but nope. Instead we get a guy that is constantly getting into fights he knows he can't win, creepily stalking the main heroine, becoming best buds with people that killed him, and frequently having emotional outburst/fits. Typical anime shit.

Normal, he is not. At best, he's crazy and needs to be put into a mental institution. At worst (and more likely) he's, by design, a shitty shonen protagonist. In any case, he's not an interesting character, he's just plain annoying and drags the rest of the show down.

^^THis x100 times

Pretty much what me and few other guys have been saying since the start of the series. Even a normal human being would learn from his mistakes and figure that there are certain things that can and cannot be done in a weird situation like his. Seriously it shouldn't take 10+ deaths for someone to start fitting into a world that doesn't belong to himself, and yet after all the times he's died, Barusu is still his same stupid old self with his same-ass attitude problems and "I'm the shounen MC, everything should work for me" mindset.

This episode was particularly enjoyable for me to watch, though I really wish Julis actually crippled him or something. This idiot needs to learn his lessons faster than the speed he is right now. If dying 10+ times cannot cure you of your stupidity, you really should just kill yourself and never revive. Emilia is way too kind, though to be fair she was telling the truth in the throne room. Barusu isn't her attendant nor her knight, he's just a lowly servant of Rosewall.

One thing I didn't appreciate was how they chopped and changed up the priestess' speeches, which were way more epic than the silly one-liner we got here. I guess they really want to finish the arc in its entirety if they're skipping stuff like that.

Seeing a little more of Emilia was nice here, but considering she'll be disappearing for another 7 or 8 episodes after this.... it still doesn't debunk my image of her being just a plot device.

It's a shame we don't get more of Barusu's suffering. Time to go rewatch this episode XD
L-RyoshiJun 27, 2016 1:11 AM
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 27, 2016 1:16 AM

Jul 2014
Subxaero said:
Xilium7 said:

^^THis x100 times

All true, THIS!
some people may think that Subaru is normal, that what he said to Emilia is the most humane thing to do, as for me no it is not, I woulda fled in an instant after dying the first time, I aint stickin with someone thats targeted just to go with her on a date or just because I have a thing for her, most of all I AINT GONNA BE FRIENDS WITH PEOPLE THAT I KNOW KILLED ME. Then again if Subaru was normal we wouldnt be able to get this story right now so lets go BS story with our mc head over heels or rather obssesed with a girl that simply saved him from getting trashed.
Jun 27, 2016 1:17 AM

Nov 2011
I knew suffering was coming but damn...
I guess there are more ways to show that than just straight up physical pain. He looks like he suffered here more than any of his previous deaths.
Jun 27, 2016 1:18 AM
Nov 2012
totally speechless at the end. The feels in this episode were too powerful. :0000
“Townsperson B has its own kind of awesomeness” — Shōyō Hinata
Jun 27, 2016 1:22 AM

Dec 2012
Cmterio said:
Subaru committed only one mistake.. be a human

Post Traumatic 2 War Soldiers can anwser your question about Subaru actions.

There's also the fact that he's also in a completely unfamiliar place, there are most likely a number of things weighing down on him mentally as a result of all this that aren't just what could be developing into a very severe case of PTSD. Especially now that he's been rejected by what he considered to be the anchor of his mental stability. I'm very much looking forward to the next episode
Jun 27, 2016 1:26 AM

Jan 2013
-Stray said:
Subxaero said:

^^THis x100 times

All true, THIS!
some people may think that Subaru is normal, that what he said to Emilia is the most humane thing to do, as for me no it is not, I woulda fled in an instant after dying the first time, I aint stickin with someone thats targeted just to go with her on a date or just because I have a thing for her, most of all I AINT GONNA BE FRIENDS WITH PEOPLE THAT I KNOW KILLED ME. Then again if Subaru was normal we wouldnt be able to get this story right now so lets go BS story with our mc head over heels or rather obssesed with a girl that simply saved him from getting trashed.

Subaru is more plot device than the character.

Show (and more importantly, its plot) wouldn't even exist without him.

This is something that hardcore fans of the show actually realise too. He must act the way he acts because otherwise there won't be any story.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jun 27, 2016 1:29 AM

Nov 2011
It took like a good 9 episodes for me to finally warm up to Subaru and now he lost it again at episode 13.

The way they put his emotions into play feel way too forced and this time it seemed like he really had to go out of character just to have things play out this way. The Subaru advertised usually always had something snarky and uplifting to say while showing his determination and loyalty to Emilia. In this episode he did a complete 180 and started having crazy eyes simply by being asked what makes him a knight.

It was very out of character and although he had his 'crazy moments' already, it seems very far-fetched to be so aggressive with a guy he literally had only spoken to before for a single minute. Who knows though maybe that's the fault of the adaption and the source material explains it better.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jun 27, 2016 1:32 AM
May 2015
I had to watch this episode 2 times to truly understand what Subaru was doing..

Subaru is not your typical perfect shounen protagonist where everything will go his own way just because the plot demands it. He was trying to be a "Self Proclaimed White Knight" (Title at the end of the episode) just because he's in a fantasy world. Bud, that's not how real life works. You can't just do whatever the hell you want and expect things to go your way. This was even presented in the last episode when Subaru decided to break Emilia's promise (again) by going to the castle after she specifically said no. There's a reason why she told him to stay because she knew Subaru would act like he did in this episode. She knew that she would get treated badly because of her "half-witch" side which would piss Subaru off and cause a scene which all happened in this episode.

Anyways, Subaru broke this promise because he thought that things would just work out fine. He also acted like a dumbass by bad-mouthing the Knights. He was not only doing this for Emilia but mostly for his own selfishness too and that's his MAJOR FLAW. That's his hidden side that we have never seen before. I loved this episode because it shows us that the MC is not as perfect as you might think he is. He's not some perfect protagonist but rather, a human being with flaws. All of us has flaws and we improve upon it and I assume that's what Subaru is going to do next. He's probably going to realize that his current actions will not take him that far. If you guys hate the protagonist right now then the author did his job because that's what he intended to do and that's part of Subaru's character development. Man, this is why My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO is on my favs. list. It's one of those shows where you have to analyze the characters and know what they're going through.

That end scene was super difficult to watch because both characters crossed the line and I don't blame them for doing so. I'm going to look first at Subaru's POV. He's a selfish asshole and we know that. When he said that he deserves something in return, I knew at that point that he fucked up. Look at it this way though, he's been through a lot and he died countless times just to save Emilia, Rem, Ram and the rest of the characters. It's sad that he did all this shit and since he has feelings for Emilia, he was probably expecting Emilia to fall in love with him. Now I'm going to look at this from Emilia's POV. What does she owe him in return? Why does Subaru treat Emilia so different than the other characters? Why is she the special one to him? She will never understand because she doesn't know what Subaru has gone through to save her life. In her POV, Subaru is just a ramdom guy that popped out of nowhere in this singular timeline and started treating her like he's her long-lost childhood friend. She doesn't know because Subaru can't explain to her the reason why he treats her so special. I don't blame both characters for doing what they did.

If I see more complex character behaviours from this show then I'm going to consider ignoring the pacing issues that this show currently has now and I'll give it a 10/10.

Btw, POV means Point of View, I'm writing it down here just in case
jc9622Jun 27, 2016 2:21 AM

Jun 27, 2016 1:32 AM

Jul 2014
beast_regards said:
-Stray said:

All true, THIS!

Subaru is more plot device than the character.

Show (and more importantly, its plot) wouldn't even exist without him.

This is something that hardcore fans of the show actually realise too. He must act the way he acts because otherwise there won't be any story.

True, I did admit that, if he was normal we woulndt be able to get the story we have now.
Jun 27, 2016 1:41 AM

Dec 2013
Ragix said:
It took like a good 9 episodes for me to finally warm up to Subaru and now he lost it again at episode 13.

The way they put his emotions into play feel way too forced and this time it seemed like he really had to go out of character just to have things play out this way. The Subaru advertised usually always had something snarky and uplifting to say while showing his determination and loyalty to Emilia. In this episode he did a complete 180 and started having crazy eyes simply by being asked what makes him a knight.

It was very out of character and although he had his 'crazy moments' already, it seems very far-fetched to be so aggressive with a guy he literally had only spoken to before for a single minute. Who knows though maybe that's the fault of the adaption and the source material explains it better.

Think of it this way, he has an ability to revive after death AND he's been transported to some strange world. In his mind, he's the hero of this show and the world is his oyster. I think his admission that Emilia should be owing him just showed that perfectly. In his mind, she's suppose to be his property (or someone who will be in the future). It's not him being loyal to her (otherwise he wouldn't have even gone to the palace), it's him trying his utmost to prove to her and everyone else in this world that he's some sort of special existence that he is worthy of being the King to her Queen.

He hasn't even bothered much to find out the mechanics of this world he's been transported to, much less the proper etiquette or the way he should be acting towards others of higher standing than him. He relies mostly on his own LN shounen knowledge to get by most of the time, and any knowledge of the world that he comes into contact with is always just something that happens to have been mentioned by others around him, but not because he asked about it.

He's your typical spoiled brat who cannot take criticism, even if it's the absolute truth, and would rather use sneak attacks and throw sand in the face of his opponent rather than back down and apologize for running his own mouth at the Royal Imperial Order of knights because he felt that Julis was trying to NTR Emilia away from him (he was being polite and kissing her hand for fuck sake, chivalry really is dead). Plus, he doesn't even think of the consequences of his own actions towards those around him, how considerate of others is he really?

If you think of most of the things he's done, then what he did this episode really isn't all that out of character.
L-RyoshiJun 27, 2016 1:44 AM
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 27, 2016 1:46 AM

Jul 2014
1st time seeing subaru do a wrong move there
but i don't blame, his mind is depressed from death by death happening to him, i feel sad for him....
overall good episode, we need the next episode right now though :D
8/10
Jun 27, 2016 1:51 AM

Nov 2011
L-Ryoshi said:

Think of it this way, he has an ability to revive after death AND he's been transported to some strange world. In his mind, he's the hero of this show and the world is his oyster. I think his admission that Emilia should be owing him just showed that perfectly. In his mind, she's suppose to be his property (or someone who will be in the future). It's not him being loyal to her (otherwise he wouldn't have even gone to the palace), it's him trying his utmost to prove to her and everyone else in this world that he's some sort of special existence that he is worthy of being the King to her Queen.

He hasn't even bothered much to find out the mechanics of this world he's been transported to, much less the proper etiquette or the way he should be acting towards others of higher standing than him. He relies mostly on his own LN shounen knowledge to get by most of the time, and any knowledge of the world that he comes into contact with is always just something that happens to have been mentioned by others around him, but not because he asked about it.

He's your typical spoiled brat who cannot take criticism, even if it's the absolute truth, and would rather use sneak attacks and throw sand in the face of his opponent rather than back down and apologize for running his own mouth at the Royal Imperial Order of knights because he felt that Julis was trying to NTR Emilia away from him (he was being polite and kissing her hand for fuck sake, chivalry really is dead). Plus, he doesn't even think of the consequences of his own actions towards those around him, how considerate of others is he really?

If you think of most of the things he's done, then what he did this episode really isn't all that out of character.

I agree with that sentiment, which is probably a huge reason why I dislike his character. Subaru comes from glorious modern-day Nippon, is a NEET and loved manga, etc. Like you said, he didn't really 'flip out' about the whole transportation thing, etc. because he thought, "FUCK YEAH, IN MY OWN ANIMU."; However, what I don't like about his character either is that he can't decide to 'evolve' or stay static. The reason why I think it's so out of character is because after experiencing all those harrowing deaths, meeting companions, etc. he began to have more composure and a sense of duty than he started with. Then, as soon as we get to this episode, all that flies out the window that he learned because he reverted back to his, "I AM ANIME MC" Form.

The reason I began warming up to him is because I noticed the progression and changes he was making to be a better well-rounded character. It only took half of an episode to just chuck that progression we made from episode 1 to now out the window and start from the beginning again as our half-baked hero.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jun 27, 2016 1:54 AM
May 2015
mohamedgx said:
Because people expect perfect fucking protagonists all the time. Also, it's super hard to please these guys.
jc9622Jun 27, 2016 2:23 AM

Jun 27, 2016 1:57 AM

Dec 2013
Ragix said:
L-Ryoshi said:

I agree with that sentiment, which is probably a huge reason why I dislike his character. Subaru comes from glorious modern-day Nippon, is a NEET and loved manga, etc. Like you said, he didn't really 'flip out' about the whole transportation thing, etc. because he thought, "FUCK YEAH, IN MY OWN ANIMU."; However, what I don't like about his character either is that he can't decide to 'evolve' or stay static. The reason why I think it's so out of character is because after experiencing all those harrowing deaths, meeting companions, etc. he began to have more composure and a sense of duty than he started with. Then, as soon as we get to this episode, all that flies out the window that he learned because he reverted back to his, "I AM ANIME MC" Form.

The reason I began warming up to him is because I noticed the progression and changes he was making to be a better well-rounded character. It only took half of an episode to just chuck that progression we made from episode 1 to now out the window and start from the beginning again as our half-baked hero.

Trust me, I've been having the same problems with his character since the middle of the first arc. I agree with your sentiments 100%
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 27, 2016 2:02 AM
Aug 2015
Seconding the "Subaru is a plot device" assessment. When you take ALL of his actions into account, they flip-flop as dictated by the plot. The other characters remain on a static route and are predictable, with apparent development created by giving each one secrets to reveal to Subaru and the viewer. Subaru then serves as the "vessel" for plotting by entering a business-as-usual situation and forcing it drastically off course despite having no powers or skills. This makes Subaru more implausible than most anime MCs, because at all times he acts in the way that twists the plot the most, which often means he is an unlikable jerk.

There are moments in all arcs where he is apparently clever and acts productively to manipulate events for a common good. There are also moments where he is completely unaware of himself, does not show a good grasp of logic(how long did it take him to figure out he was dying?) and destroys situations by acting selfishly.

Likewise, Subaru experiences various episodes of mental breakdown, but in relatively short order bounces back like a rubberband into either a cool and confident or naive, careless person, just in the nick of time to force the plot into motion again. This is not a thing real human beings do, and it isn't explained by character traits.

One way to read Re:Zero's construction is as the reframed mystery(a common method for time-loop stories): First to assess how each scenario would turn out without Subaru's existence, then how he will have to resolve it in order to achieve his goals, and then work backwards from the resolution towards the introduction in an order that gradually dribbles out clues. Rather than having a clever detective figure everything out just in time to resolve the story, we have a dumb detective who figures it out with trial and error.

I enjoy the show, but this approach can grate on me since it means that every scene has to be very mechanical in service of the plotting, and can't allow the characters to develop more freely.
Jun 27, 2016 2:05 AM

Sep 2014
Subaru is the most annoying character in anything, ever. How anyone can stand him is beyond me.
Jun 27, 2016 2:06 AM

Jan 2014
Reading this thread makes me lose faith in MAL users again *sigh*

Anyone who thinks this is character consistency or a dumb forced drama should take a psychological class or force a professional psychologist to watch this series and listen to his/her opinion. It's beyond of a doubt that the difference in Arc 2 and current arc is obvious, Arc 2 has a goal which is survive, Arc 3 does not. Subaru's character progression in Arc 2 is supposed to be adapt him in situations like Arc 2, which is something that is insanely unwanted happens to him. Arc 3 story meanwhile isn't even similar to Arc 2 hence his second psychological breakdown as his personality is unable to face that the fact in Arc 3, there is no goal or mission or any kind of goals....

Let's put it on a much simpler form... Arc 1 and Arc 2 develops Subaru personality from "Oh boy I'm in a fantasy world! I bet I'm the MC! Now where's my superpower?!" to "Oh boy this is tougher than I thought, but as long as I have the composure and think about this predicament realistically I still can be an MC of this show!". Now what Arc 3 does is nothing but a plain, simple "Oh no... I'm not the MC..."

Hm, Maybe that's too simple of an analogue, eh it's the main point anyway and the only way to explain it to you dense knuckledaggers.

I guess this anime is 2deep4u lots.
Don't attribute maliciousness when stupidity is enough to explain what happens
Jun 27, 2016 2:16 AM
May 2015
Wind_God_Girl said:
Reading this thread makes me lose faith in MAL users again *sigh*

Anyone who thinks this is character consistency or a dumb forced drama should take a psychological class or force a professional psychologist to watch this series and listen to his/her opinion. It's beyond of a doubt that the difference in Arc 2 and current arc is obvious, Arc 2 has a goal which is survive, Arc 3 does not. Subaru's character progression in Arc 2 is supposed to be adapt him in situations like Arc 2, which is something that is insanely unwanted happens to him. Arc 3 story meanwhile isn't even similar to Arc 2 hence his second psychological breakdown as his personality is unable to face that the fact in Arc 3, there is no goal or mission or any kind of goals....

Let's put it on a much simpler form... Arc 1 and Arc 2 develops Subaru personality from "Oh boy I'm in a fantasy world! I bet I'm the MC! Now where's my superpower?!" to "Oh boy this is tougher than I thought, but as long as I have the composure and think about this predicament realistically I still can be an MC of this show!". Now what Arc 3 does is nothing but a plain, simple "Oh no... I'm not the MC..."

Hm, Maybe that's too simple of an analogue, eh it's the main point anyway and the only way to explain it to you dense knuckledaggers.

I guess this anime is 2deep4u lots.
Hehe, this guy completely gets it. For the mean time, I think I'd rather read the discussions on reddit than MAL because most of the guys there understood what happened and why the MC was acting like that. In here, it's completely different. It's like they never went to college before.

Jun 27, 2016 2:17 AM

Dec 2013
L-Ryoshi said:
Ragix said:

And thats my issue with the writer of the anime,i mean its 1 thing to make a dumb and annoying character that makes some sense. But all i see is ''Barusu'' being a complete muppet in his hands, making irrelevant and random twists and then bring forced drama to the table.

We are talking about a guy that dies every few days and who got immensely pissed of(to the point he held a grudge against a knight that made a (knightly) gesture on EMilia.ANd not only that but he goes to heights of ruining the whole royal procedure and bashing the knights.

In the writer's head'' How do i justify SUbaru's outburst, and create a cliffhanger once again in a very important part of the episode.''a Ahhhh i will just use the stupid Subaru,his stupidity and overeaction justifies everything and i can get away with it... i will also add some drama just to be sure'''
Jun 27, 2016 2:22 AM
Jul 2018
Here come the communist Emilia memes.

Also anarchist Felt.
removed-userJun 27, 2016 2:27 AM
Jun 27, 2016 2:25 AM

Jan 2014
jc9622 said:
Hehe, this guy completely gets it. For the mean time, I think I'd rather read the discussions on reddit than MAL because most of the guys there understood what happened and why the MC was acting like that. In here, it's completely different. It's like they never went to college before.

I know right! I honestly feel like I'm looking at 4chan instead of MAL. Reddit users definitely have more brain in them and can make sense on why this episode presents this twist and character development.
Don't attribute maliciousness when stupidity is enough to explain what happens
Jun 27, 2016 2:34 AM

Jun 2013
Damn this guy is way too obsessed with her, this episode clearly showcased that. I mean I understand why he digs Emilia so much who wouldnt but he's at that straight up cringe level. I hope if he dies he "respawns" some time before the selection or something otherwise holy shit bro you fucked up big time.
Jun 27, 2016 2:35 AM
Aug 2012
jc9622 said:

No people understand why Subaru lost his shit but that doesn't make it justifiable or make his character likable. Like Ragix said in his post, people started warming up to his character but now we got another drama brought on by Subaru's own idiotic and selfish actions. Character Degradation right after some Development isn't really going to click with everyone. Being a possessive stalker + hero wannabe adds more negative points.

It would have worked if he at least tried to learn about things by himself (Arc 2 stuff happened because he got involved not because he tried to learn things by himself) or used his head a bit or worked towards mastering his powers or anything that showed that he is trying to LEARN about his situation by himself or learned something from his previous mistakes instead of going all Emilia-tan is my waifu crap.......PSTD isn't enough to justify his actions this episode.
Dragon_Slayer_XJun 27, 2016 2:39 AM

Jun 27, 2016 2:41 AM

Sep 2015
So does Subaru's respawn points only trigger when he comes close to death? If that's the case, then he won't be able to change any of this which is probably a good thing in terms of character development. Fail hard and learn from your mistakes. Would make the show more interesting at least.
Pages (28) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

21 by Okeanix »»
Apr 27, 4:29 PM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.