Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (28) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Jun 26, 2016 6:47 PM

Nov 2012
Fai said:
Bananaoranges said:

A lot of people tend to put on a front to deal with specific things. As you said he uses bravado to mask his true emotions, it's a way for him to manage them and by doing so attempting to forget his troubles . What we say today was him breaking. He was never stable in the first place.

THEN SHOW IT. Just like Arc 2 did.
Yet in this Subaru's stupidity and shitty behavior is played 100% completely straight, instead of being a front.

........Subaru's behaviour is almost ALWAYS front. I think you just have some misunderstanding of the character a bit. They had undertones of it in this episode, not that they needed to, we shouldn't need to be reminded every moment that Subaru is partly a faker. Like I don't see why it needs to be shown anymore than already has, it's an established part of him.
Jaywalker.
Jun 26, 2016 6:47 PM

Jan 2011
Jagd84 said:
Bananaoranges said:

A lot of people tend to put on a front to deal with specific things. As you said he uses bravado to mask his true emotions, it's a way for him to manage them and by doing so attempting to forget his troubles . What we say today was him breaking. He was never stable in the first place.

I do believe some scenes that were left out would have /maybe/ been able to allow the events of this episode to be better understood. I guess it just comes down to how each of us see Subaru.

Right, but he was doing that when he died multiple times in 2nd arc and even Betty called him out on it when went into library to hide his fear. Or the series incidents that lead to Emilia giving him a lap-pillow. It would have just been redundant to bring it up again.

That makes sense, but I think they should've expanded on it if anything. I mean, sure. You can't just do a rinse repeat of development, but if we push the character into yet another unfamiliar scenario or show he still ain't good enough I think we can work on it depending on the portrayal.
Jun 26, 2016 6:48 PM

Mar 2010
QWERTYFish25 said:
Jagd84 said:

He never reverted into anything in first place but frankly I don't care if you can't see that or not. You free to denied what happens in the show to suit your bias. You're one wasting your time. Enjoy your fanfiction in your head.

"Bias?" For what? I thought Subaru was pretty cool in the last arc.

And also done things rudely to Betty by saying things that pissed her off. He also foot in his mouth with the maids touching sore points . He's acted both cleverly and he stupidity. There all be aspects of his character. Now got into situation where he's flawed characteristics can't be masked by his heroics.
Jun 26, 2016 6:49 PM
Jan 2013
Note: I'm not a Subaru hater or anything even if I think he is annoying at times. I well respect each char's role and development within the story. There are simply times when I like what he does and times when I'd wish he would back down just a little. Yes, I understand crucial plot buildup and stuff but I'm just stating my mere opinion on the sidelines ^^"

So, I feel like this episode was good for the most part if you were to exclude cringe-factor Barasu. I understand his motives and do feel sorry for him but damn did Whitefox do a splendid job of displaying his emotions with the ugly facials LOL. Poor Emilia thinking he's just a promise breaker. Misunderstandings are common but as the viewer I can feel the intense pain from both parties; what will continue to make this series great is how the do-and-resolve factor plays out and I'm sure the anime will deliver. At the very least, Subaru is definitely a more realistic and semi-reliable guy than the ones in typical (not all) shounen/harem or some other.

Personal note: I already miss my lovely Rem-chan ;-; but ofc I can't wait to see the election/battle in all its clashing royalty~
Jun 26, 2016 6:51 PM

Jun 2011
Epicenter said:
Rayla said:

I completely agree with you guys here.

For the past several minutes I've been attacked for being in Subaru's side in all this.

To be honest, I felt it was useless, because I wasn't going to change my opinions and see things their way.

I also felt really hurt because I felt like my viewpoints didn't matter and I felt like I was being bullied.

I told them how I felt one last time, and I tried my best to kindly tell them to back off.

I just want to say thank you for agreeing with me, and for talking about this maturely.

Having even a few people agree with me, makes me very happy.

Thank you so much.

Sorry for the bother.

IMO, you shouldn't apologize or feel sorry when you haven't done anything wrong or harmful. You shouldn't let these people hurt you either, it's just a discussion thread on the internet. Though, I think it's a stretch to say you were being bullied from what I saw. But like you, I do prefer mature manner of conversation.

I didn't say it was bullying, but merely felt like it was.

I've had very bad experiences in my lifetime with people, and I was I was bullied a lot as a child, so I have a habit of constantly apologizing and feeling like I was in the wrong, because I've been told my whole life that I am wrong.

However, backing off isn't my thing, because I want to voice my opinions out, even if it seems futile.

Instead of insulting, I try my best to talk things maturely.
Jun 26, 2016 6:54 PM

Nov 2012
Rayla said:
Epicenter said:

IMO, you shouldn't apologize or feel sorry when you haven't done anything wrong or harmful. You shouldn't let these people hurt you either, it's just a discussion thread on the internet. Though, I think it's a stretch to say you were being bullied from what I saw. But like you, I do prefer mature manner of conversation.

I didn't say it was bullying, but merely felt like it was.

I've had very bad experiences in my lifetime with people, and I was I was bullied a lot as a child, so I have a habit of constantly apologizing and feeling like I was in the wrong, because I've been told my whole life that I am wrong.

However, backing off isn't my thing, because I want to voice my opinions out, even if it seems futile.

Instead of insulting, I try my best to talk things maturely.

I see, alright that's cool.
Jaywalker.
Jun 26, 2016 7:00 PM

Nov 2012
Come to think of it, only Reinhard, Emelia's spirit animal guardian, and purple haired knight seem like relevant characters that aren't massively hiding things and always trying to mask their true character. I mean they might have some secrets, but at least they seem to have a semblance of frankness and realness to them that others do not with their infinite facades. Everyone else seems to be faking it almost all the time.
Jaywalker.
Jun 26, 2016 7:04 PM

Jan 2011
Jagd84 said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

"Bias?" For what? I thought Subaru was pretty cool in the last arc.

And also done things rudely to Betty by saying things that pissed her off. He also foot in his mouth with the maids touching sore points . He's acted both cleverly and he stupidity. There all be aspects of his character. Now got into situation where he's flawed characteristics can't be masked by his heroics.

That's fine, even by that logic I can't complain. Problem the way it was portrayed, largely felt unnatural.
Jun 26, 2016 7:05 PM

Dec 2009
Jotakak said:
Subaru's only human and sometimes humans have ugly feelings like this. He's been through a lot of shit and he can't tell anybody about it so it just builds up until he explodes, doing things he wouldn't normally do and saying thinks he doesn't really mean to say. This was his wake-up call and hopefully he improves from it but to see how much hate he is getting is ridiculous. I get this was hard to watch but he was thrown into this word with nothing and is only just realizing how powerless he really is when it comes to the big picture. So far he's built up everyone's expectations and was put on a pedestal. Like Emilia said, he had an ideal image of her in his head but she had one of him too and sometimes that image burns away to reveal a vulnerable human being, one that is selfish and stubborn. One that doesn't know when a enough is a enough. One that lashes out and says cruel things because the pain in their chest is too much. For me, this was definitely hard to watch because watching Subaru was like watching a part of myself that I don't always like to admit that's there. I think other people also see themselves in Subaru and because they hate that part of themselves too, they end up hating the character for it.

I agree 100%. Subaru isn't out of character, this is just him breaking down at the thought of being powerless to help the ones he cares for. I really don't understand the hate either, people acting like he deserves to die for acting like an actual fucking human being and having flaws is insane. If you think somebody should die for their mistakes, especially for ones as minor as this episode (Subaru self destructed here more than hurt anyone else) then there is something wrong with your way of thinking.
Jun 26, 2016 7:05 PM
Jun 2016
Jagd84 said:
Bananaoranges said:

I do believe some scenes that were left out would have /maybe/ been able to allow the events of this episode to be better understood. I guess it just comes down to how each of us see Subaru.

Right, but he was doing that when he died multiple times in 2nd arc and even Betty called him out on it when went into library to hide his fear. Or the series incidents that lead to Emilia giving him a lap-pillow. It would have just been redundant to bring it up again.

I do agree with you here, but that kind of psychological trauma isn't forgotten in such a short period of time. He's just able to mask it a lot better, and following the lap pillow the events that occurred with Rem and the dogs pushed him even further to the edge. The fear you mentioned was the fear of death, but currently he fears that he'll lose the people he cares about. His fears have yet to be resolved, and they've began to resurface. He still needs development, he was able to confront his demons back then, but that doesn't mean they won't resurface. He's never been a smart protagonist, he's the type of person who bottles up his emotions because he doesn't want to worry anyone. He'll eventually break, just like he did today.

Not that I don't agree with you, but there's always two sides to a coin. You and I are always going to have conflicting opinions but that doesn't mean I don't get where you're coming from. Glad you're handling this maturely and not trying to force your opinion on others.
BananaorangesJun 26, 2016 7:08 PM
Jun 26, 2016 7:06 PM

Jan 2011
oh man didn't think Subaru could be such a fuck boi had to pause so many times because he kept digging that hole even bigger normally i would feel bad for the guy but this time he royally fucked up and deserved it.

I get this was the Wake up call episode however Subaru seriously got a lot of redeeming to do in the future.

how about that Reinhardt and Felt though i'd pay to see that duo
Jun 26, 2016 7:06 PM

Sep 2007
Good grief, Subaru has been a complete dick this whole arc. Just had to throw all his chips in even after digging himself into a hole at the royal selection. He totally deserved the beating Julius gave him. And lol at him taking Nice Guy syndrome to the max at the end.
Jun 26, 2016 7:08 PM

Aug 2014
How exactly is Subaru not Naruto redrawn? It's basically him with way worse humor, accompanying a generic Disney princess. "I want all people to be equal"... Christ, seriously?

The obscure plot and enjoyable side characters are definitely what's making the show for me.
MaledictJun 26, 2016 7:21 PM
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Jun 26, 2016 7:10 PM

Oct 2015
Bananaoranges said:
Can we please stop the "omg subaru is out of character 1/10"?

Are you trying to tell me you've never acted out of character? Have you ever suffered from anxiety? He's not thinking straight, he's acting out of character because he's afraid. He's afraid of losing the people he cares about, namely Emilia and Co. He was worried about Emilia, hence why he followed her to the Palace. His motives may have seemed selfish but from his standpoint he was doing it for her. During arc 1 if he wasn't there Emilia would have died. During arc 2, if he wasn't around Rem and the children would have died. He's afraid that if he isn't there, and something does happen he has no way to undo it. Sure he has no ability to protect them, but he's most likely keeping in mind that he may be able to commit suicide to reset what has occurred. If he acts too late he may hit a checkpoint, which is exactly why he's so anxious and clingy when it comes to Emilia.

Yes he ends up giving a cringe worthy speech at the end of how she owes him, but that's just him trying to blindly grab on to that last but of hope of keeping their relationship intact. Fear can do a lot to a person, it can even change how they carry them self so I'm not surprised how he handled himself.

This is just my two cents. I'm aware I've skipped over a lot of points but it's late over here and I doubt I can persuade much of you to appreciate how the author created such a great scene.

Which is why Emilia ending things with Subaru is important to his character growth. The way he is living right now is not healthy for him. People die, get hurt, and say stupid stuff all the time. He can't make things work in his favor all the time. The way things ended here is will be a good callus for his character growth.
Jun 26, 2016 7:13 PM

Jan 2014
This chapter made me really mad.

Emilia should get killed

Subaru should be eliminated from this anime. I just can't relate to this character at all in this episode. He knows he has no power. He knows the knights are powerful af. He KNOWS that he will lose a fight against them? What does he do? Fight a knight... *facepalm*

It would be awesome if he became an antihero and left emilia for a whole year or two, so he can train and actually get knowledge of how this world works but knowing this guy.. pfft... I can predict that he will still try to be the white knight of this anime and protect asada-san at all cost.

EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN EMILIA-TAN

Where is the sao meme guys? I NEED IT!

1/5.
Jun 26, 2016 7:15 PM

Jul 2007
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Jotakak said:
Subaru's only human and sometimes humans have ugly feelings like this. He's been through a lot of shit and he can't tell anybody about it so it just builds up until he explodes, doing things he wouldn't normally do and saying thinks he doesn't really mean to say. This was his wake-up call and hopefully he improves from it but to see how much hate he is getting is ridiculous. I get this was hard to watch but he was thrown into this word with nothing and is only just realizing how powerless he really is when it comes to the big picture. So far he's built up everyone's expectations and was put on a pedestal. Like Emilia said, he had an ideal image of her in his head but she had one of him too and sometimes that image burns away to reveal a vulnerable human being, one that is selfish and stubborn. One that doesn't know when a enough is a enough. One that lashes out and says cruel things because the pain in their chest is too much. For me, this was definitely hard to watch because watching Subaru was like watching a part of myself that I don't always like to admit that's there. I think other people also see themselves in Subaru and because they hate that part of themselves too, they end up hating the character for it.

I agree 100%. Subaru isn't out of character, this is just him breaking down at the thought of being powerless to help the ones he cares for. I really don't understand the hate either, people acting like he deserves to die for acting like an actual fucking human being and having flaws is insane. If you think somebody should die for their mistakes, especially for ones as minor as this episode (Subaru self destructed here more than hurt anyone else) then there is something wrong with your way of thinking.

You mean like he already did in previous arc? I mean in here we see him being rejected and having outburst over it, having to realize this is real, being forced to admit how selfish he is, so now he will have to bounce back, do selfless stuff, remake the bonds with people and...oh wait...

Didn't we saw Subaru:
- Spend Episode 4 being entirely out of place making a fool out of himself and garnering suspicion.
- Spend episode 6 realizing he is not being accepted and breaking down in Ep7 over them rejecting him and his nice guy savior attitude
- Spend the end of Episode 7 realizing he has been a selfish idiot and then throwing away his happy ending in order to save the maids life.
- Have a breakdown in Episode 8 over his realization of just how real everything is and how this is not a game but real life
- Spend Episode 9 and 10 putting his life on the line fully realizing its real and how expendable he is or how scary the situation is.
- Spend Episode 10 and 11 earning back everyone's trust.

Why is he doing the EXACT same things AGAIN, just in way less episodes, with less character justification and with more dumbness and cringe??!?!

Also there's absolutely nothing wrong with hating character who is literally this:

And delivers gems like:

or literally shouting this episode that Emilia should be GRATEFUL and REPAY him for being nice to her.

There's a fine thick line between making mistakes and turning into literally SAO villain.
AhenshihaelJun 26, 2016 7:20 PM
Jun 26, 2016 7:17 PM

Dec 2012
I was so disappointed in how lame Subaru was this entire episode. So very disappointed. They didnt even really leave us with a reason to want to see the next episode. This entire episode has been a disappointment.
Jun 26, 2016 7:18 PM
Sep 2012
So, I'm back here again. Glad to see the discussion isn't as surface level as it was before. I liked bits and parts of what Subaru did this episode and disliked other parts. I liked that he used his previous experiences as a basis to act independently,but I don't like that it in turn made him lose Emilia's trust by him breaking their promise and going to the meeting. I also liked that he stood up for Emilia when she was initially mocked at the meeting by the other candidates and elders as we already know Emilia is too feeble-minded to stand up for herself(She considers herself trash basically) and would continue being their punching bag. I also liked the fact that Subaru lied and said he was a Knight for Emilia(although it backfired for him personally) as it made Emilia seem in line with the other Candidates as they all had their own personal knights with them. I didn't like that Subaru mocked what it meant to be a Knight, but it's understandable considering he is from another world. I liked that he fought even knowing he would be crushed(he witnessed Reinhardts power firsthand) as if he didnt it would likely translate as Emilia having a shameless Knight/ companion. I loved the way Subaru handled the conversation with Emilia. Emilia has no confidence in herself and because of that she couldn't get herself to believe that Subaru was doing everything in his power for her. After experiencing everything Subaru has so far and not being able to share it, it's understandable that he'd snap at her at some point for questioning his obsession for her. Overall, I liked Subaru this episode. He was his usual self and there we're some consequences to be faced as a result of him being himself. Sadly, he didnt die during it so now he has to learn from it and deal with it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2016 7:19 PM

Mar 2010
Bananaoranges said:
Jagd84 said:

I do agree with you here, but that kind of psychological trauma isn't forgotten in such a short period of time. He's just able to mask it a lot better, and following the lap pillow the events that occurred with Rem and the dogs pushed him even further to the edge. The fear you mentioned was the fear of death, but currently he fears that he'll lose the people he cares about. His fears have yet to be resolved, and they've began to resurface. He still needs development, he was able to confront his demons back then, but that doesn't mean they won't resurface. He's never been a smart protagonist, he's the type of person who bottles up his emotions because he doesn't want to worry anyone. He'll eventually break, just like he did today.

Not that I don't agree with you, but there's always two sides to a coin. You and I are always going to have conflicting opinions but that doesn't mean I don't get where you're coming from. Glad you're handling this maturely and not trying to force your opinion on others.

Yes, I'm just saying these facets of that. It's all connected. :)
Jun 26, 2016 7:22 PM

Sep 2013
The cringe was massive during that episode. I was cool with him going to the ceremony, after all, we need to be there for this exposition stuff, but Subaru needs to be a bit more rational.

That said, we can't blame him too much. He's breaking again. :( Hope he cools down! I'm actually glad he didn't decide to do a hard restart.
Jun 26, 2016 7:23 PM

Jan 2014
stupid episode, if it were me i would just restart enough time to i could finally humiliate that stupid Knight but nooo subaru had to be pathetic
Jun 26, 2016 7:25 PM

Mar 2010
siradix said:
Bananaoranges said:
Can we please stop the "omg subaru is out of character 1/10"?

Are you trying to tell me you've never acted out of character? Have you ever suffered from anxiety? He's not thinking straight, he's acting out of character because he's afraid. He's afraid of losing the people he cares about, namely Emilia and Co. He was worried about Emilia, hence why he followed her to the Palace. His motives may have seemed selfish but from his standpoint he was doing it for her. During arc 1 if he wasn't there Emilia would have died. During arc 2, if he wasn't around Rem and the children would have died. He's afraid that if he isn't there, and something does happen he has no way to undo it. Sure he has no ability to protect them, but he's most likely keeping in mind that he may be able to commit suicide to reset what has occurred. If he acts too late he may hit a checkpoint, which is exactly why he's so anxious and clingy when it comes to Emilia.

Yes he ends up giving a cringe worthy speech at the end of how she owes him, but that's just him trying to blindly grab on to that last but of hope of keeping their relationship intact. Fear can do a lot to a person, it can even change how they carry them self so I'm not surprised how he handled himself.

This is just my two cents. I'm aware I've skipped over a lot of points but it's late over here and I doubt I can persuade much of you to appreciate how the author created such a great scene.

Which is why Emilia ending things with Subaru is important to his character growth. The way he is living right now is not healthy for him. People die, get hurt, and say stupid stuff all the time. He can't make things work in his favor all the time. The way things ended here is will be a good callus for his character growth.

Well put. It's growing phase that is needed for him to deal with his insecurities.

10char
Jun 26, 2016 7:26 PM

Jul 2012
HAHAHA! THAT FACE YOU MAKE WHEN YOU PLAY GALGE FOR HOURS WITHOUT SAVE ONLY TO GET THAT BAD END.

Jun 26, 2016 7:29 PM
Jun 2016
Fai said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

You mean like he already did in previous arc? I mean in here we see him being rejected and having outburst over it, having to realize this is real, being forced to admit how selfish he is, so now he will have to bounce back, do selfless stuff, remake the bonds with people and...oh wait...

Didn't we saw Subaru:
- Spend Episode 4 being entirely out of place making a fool out of himself and garnering suspicion.
- Spend episode 6 realizing he is not being accepted and breaking down in Ep7 over them rejecting him and his nice guy savior attitude
- Spend the end of Episode 7 realizing he has been a selfish idiot and then throwing away his happy ending in order to save the maids life.
- Have a breakdown in Episode 8 over his realization of just how real everything is and how this is not a game but real life
- Spend Episode 9 and 10 putting his life on the line fully realizing its real and how expendable he is or how scary the situation is.

Why is he doing the EXACT same things AGAIN, just in way less episodes, with less character justification and with more dumbness and cringe??!?!

Also there's absolutely nothing wrong with hating character who is literally this:

And delivers gems like:

or literally shouting this episode that Emilia should be GRATEFUL and REPAY him for being nice to her.

There's a fine thick line between making mistakes and turning into literally SAO villain.

So everything that occurred prior just didn't happen? He's just supposed to forget all the trauma he went through? Sure he 'threw' away his selfish attitude at that point in time, but hat doesn't mean it wont resurface. His suffering can be portrayed as a vicious cycle, he may have overcome the first hurdle but he's come across a second. When anxious and/or afraid you begin to make bad decisions.

Yes he's a little too attached to Emilia, and yes he reacted poorly to the situation but she was the very first person he got close to. In a world unknown to him, a stranger reached out of him, and to quote "saved him" I can somewhat see why he's so attached. A bit excessive, but hey,to each their own.

As for the part where he had said she owed him, he was just trying to cling onto the last silver of hope he had left. Yes, he tried to manipulate her so she wouldn't leave. Yes, people do that, but only when they've reached a point where they're desperate.

He could have definitely handled it better, but he didn't. He's only human, and we make mistakes.

I apologise for trailing off topic, it's late and I should be asleep so I'll just ask you to continue with the anime and hopefully if you're unable to accept how he acted, at least put it to the side and try to enjoy it for what it is.
Jun 26, 2016 7:31 PM
Sep 2012
MadLane said:
stupid episode, if it were me i would just restart enough time to i could finally humiliate that stupid Knight but nooo subaru had to be pathetic

"Had to be pathetic"
Subaru is a normal civilian without any real physical or magical prowess. Of course he got handled and looked pathetic. Julius trained everyday of his life to become a Knight, an exceptional one at that. He didnt choose to be pathetic it just happened. Go watch SAO if you want an OP MC(I like SAO BTW).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2016 7:38 PM

Mar 2013
You know your country is fucked when your best option for commander in chief is a fucking communist.
Jun 26, 2016 7:40 PM

Jul 2007
Bananaoranges said:

So everything that occurred prior just didn't happen? He's just supposed to forget all the trauma he went through?

Not really. He should still be traumatized.
Sure would be nice if show itself remembered that instead of playing Subaru's stupidity 100% straight and forgetting he is supposed to have PTSD. The show remembered to do that in Arc 2, but not it seems to have completely forgotten arc 2 ever happened so...

Sure he 'threw' away his selfish attitude at that point in time, but hat doesn't mean it wont resurface. His suffering can be portrayed as a vicious cycle, he may have overcome the first hurdle but he's come across a second. When anxious and/or afraid you begin to make bad decisions.

Sure why not.
Let's have Arc4 be him acting idiotic around Felt, till she slaps him and makes him realize he is selfish, learning his mistake.
Then let's have arc5 have him act idiotic around Reinhard, till same happens.
Let's do it till we run out of characters.

I think you can already see why going in circles is bad writing and not how characterization is done. Character progression involves character either changing or reaffirming his path for a reason. Having a character literally be a revolving door does not make a consistent character.

As for the part where he had said she owed him, he was just trying to cling onto the last silver of hope he had left. Yes, he tried to manipulate her so she wouldn't leave. Yes, people do that, but only when they've reached a point where they're desperate.

And anyone who goes to lengths Subaru did at the end of this episode deserves a restraining order, instead of his own anime.
A protagonist is supposed to be someone you can understand or at least have empathy for. It should not be a character you want to see die in most painful way.
Jun 26, 2016 7:41 PM

Oct 2015
MadLane said:

The thing is you don't know where your reset point will be. The knight can also easily refuse to fight you again even if you find out your reset point. It's a bad gamble at trying to git gud.
Jun 26, 2016 7:42 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I still believe Subaru didn't do anything wrong, until his outburst at Emilia.

First off, that one knight is a smug, cocky, arrogant asshole. I can't blame Subaru for hating him. Subaru did nothing but try and defend Emilia against those who judged her simply by her looks.

After all the bullshit he's went through, the pain, the suffering, and the stress, of course he's going to start going insane because he can't tell anyone. He was thrust into an unknown foreign world, taken from his own home for unknown reasons, this only piles on to the stress.

None of those pussy ass knights have gone through what Subaru has had to endure.

I'm almost disappointed in Emilia, but she just doesn't understand. So it really is hard to blame her. But at least he went up to bat for her when no one else would. Even one of the elder's themselves said Subaru is a good knight.

Now Subaru is alone again. I genuinely hope he gets revenge on that douche shithole knight.
Jun 26, 2016 7:44 PM

Aug 2015
Fai said:
And anyone who goes to lengths Subaru did at the end of this episode deserves a restraining order

You're at it again... you seem to have a very narrow mind.
And in this world, does it even exist in the first place? You could just kill the guy.
"Vaut mieux se suffire à soi que finir assoiffé dans le monde des apparences."

Jun 26, 2016 7:49 PM

Jan 2008
Subaru was quite ugly in this episode, so much so that it was pitiful to watch him babble on. He says it was for her, which he isn't wrong about, but Emilia also wasn't wrong when she claimed Subaru was doing things to feel better about himself and his own ego. No matter how selfless someone is, even if they were to give up their own life...if the other person never asked for it, then a person's actions are always done for one's self before it's for another person's sake.

I for one am glad Subaru got his ass handed to him, because he really didn't know his place, his boundaries, or his limits....but above all, because he went full retard in his selfishness. With a girl he has feelings for that values promises highly, he nonetheless easily broke it to satisfy his own curiosity and ego. He claimed he was her knight, without knowing the ramifications that came with it. He accepted a duel, that would only burden Emilia if he got injured more than he was already than before. It's a noble thing to exploit his immortality to save people around him because of noblesse oblige, and it's another to force himself in other people's business that he has no right butting into. And at the end of it all, Subaru acted like an emotional entitled little bitch that can't get laid so he essentially lists all the reasons why Emilia owes him something, when she doesn't have to give him jack shit. It's like saving someone from drowning, expecting them to give you head because you saved their life--it just isn't logical. Subaru seriously needs to kill himself and try again.

And can they make Roswaal's sinister smirk anymore obvious? I never even read the novels but I'm now completely certain he is evil, or at the very least not what he seems, with his usual cheery persona being some kind of act to further some goal.
Jun 26, 2016 7:51 PM

Apr 2015
Fai said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

Didn't we saw Subaru:

And delivers gems like:

We'll probably get this explanation next episode
but keep in mind the dude was already losing it after getting humiliated like 4-5 times. So he's having a nervous breakdown and NOTHING is going his way so he brings out the most selfish thing from his heart and says it in front of Emillia. Is that what he really thinks? No. But a small part of him thought that and so he brought it out due to stress. Should he get forgiveness? That depends on Emillia. Was he wrong? Very much so. Should he atone for that? Yes.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth or anything but idk its like looking at a Parent and Their Teen Daughter arguing and the Teen blurts out something like " I DONT NEED YOU AT ALL MOM I WISH YOU'D JUST DIE YOU'RE A BURDEN"
then the parent dies then the teenager gets sad not only because they said that horrible thing but really they cared for their parent deep down adn that "hatred" part was just a small part of their relationship.
Jun 26, 2016 7:54 PM

May 2016
The overreactions.... I can see people having a huge fit when the show ends.

Because it will NOT be your typical HAPPY ending show.

I honestly hope people are prepared for the absolute depressing nature of what's to come.

For me I think that's just beautiful. I love sadness and depression so it's perfect.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jun 26, 2016 7:55 PM

Dec 2011
Damn. Subaru is just so cringe worthy, he always has been, but this episode he just broke down, have to admit there is a lot of drama and emotion this episode. I really hope he mellows down and put more thinking into his actions on the next episodes.
Jun 26, 2016 7:57 PM
Mar 2009
Ah Subaru, got himself a beat-down he truly did deserve. Sometimes he's embarrassing to watch. He throws on these grand gestures and opens his mouth to let out the stupid without the skills to back it up. He's seen Reinhardt in action, he knows if a knight has only a fraction of Reinhardt's skill, that person is someone you shouldn't mouth off to. Much less a room full of them. Again, a beat-down he truly deserved. And after all that, a second beat-down by Emilia...

I do think Emilia is right by showing him the view from her side. Even though he can't tell her what he's gone though due to the curse stopping him and causing him to basically have an emotional panic attack leading to declare how much she owes him. Oops. Big oops. Major loss of points with Emilia there I'm sure.

It's almost like Emilia just realized she's been living with her very own creepy stalker.

Felt for Queen. She'll bring about change! ...by civil war basically. but change nonetheless! Yay!
bear808Jun 26, 2016 8:04 PM
Jun 26, 2016 7:58 PM

May 2016
Fai said:

A protagonist is supposed to be someone you can understand or at least have empathy for. It should not be a character you want to see die in most painful way.

ummm no? That would be a very cliche protag.

A protagonist is simply the lead character. It could be a villain, an idiot, anyone.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jun 26, 2016 8:00 PM

Jul 2007
TeamDalaiLana said:
The overreactions.... I can see people having a huge fit when the show ends.

Because it will NOT be your typical HAPPY ending show.

I honestly hope people are prepared for the absolute depressing nature of what's to come.

For me I think that's just beautiful. I love sadness and depression so it's perfect.

There's nothing wrong with depressing or painful as long as it is well written and not badly produced Akame Ga Kill level of edge for sake of edge.

Pretty much nobody expects this to be a happy show.

TeamDalaiLana said:
Fai said:

ummm no? That would be a very cliche protag.

A protagonist is simply the lead character. It could be a villain, an idiot, anyone.

He should not be despicable inconsistent stalker. Especially not in the show which is entirely based around viewers caring about the protagonist succeeding.
Jun 26, 2016 8:03 PM
gokigenyou~

May 2013
Y'all faggots need to stop calling Subaru the jerk here. Emilia is clearly insanely insecure and continues to project her own insecurities onto everyone else. Subaru has saved her fucking life so many times, and after him telling her that she gets asshurt and then just leaves him.

Emilia started the screaming match, and then continues to not take anyone else's perspective or feelings into consideration. Did you really expect Subaru to stay put in a room? Are you really that fucking stupid?

Like, this is clearly not Emilia's fault. Subaru is a fucking idiot, and deserved to be yelled at, because partly he did do what he did for himself. It was obvious, but still Emilia is a fucking haughty ass cunt, and Subaru is much better off with Rem.

I already know the spoilers for arc 4, and that they make up and blahblahblah, but you faggots can't actually even slightly take into consideration Subaru's point?

You people really need to pay more attention or at least get some goddamn empathy.

I cannot believe Emilia just dropped him like a fucking sack of potatoes. Fuck Emilia a lot.

Jun 26, 2016 8:06 PM

Dec 2009
Fai said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

Didn't we saw Subaru:

And delivers gems like:

Listen Fai, you don't need to quote every single person that puts out a different opinion than you. I've seen the last 10 pages worth of discussion, so I already know your stance. We'll just agree to disagree on the point of Subaru because it isn't going to lead to anything but pointless fighting. I'm going to keep watching and not hate him over 2 episodes of realistic emotions and reactions, you're free to do what you like.
Jun 26, 2016 8:07 PM

Jul 2009
nny92 said:
For a guy who has died that many times, snapping like that might've been healthier and more accurately portrays his humane features. Memories with the girl of your dreams that technically don't exist and deaths that no one remembers would be enough to break anyone. Apologies to anyone shaming Subaru but anyone calling him weak is either arrogant or lacks perspective.

Fappa said:
I somehow get the feeling a good chunk of people here can't comprehend non linear character development.

By getting himself into a situation that is such large scaled compared to what he is used to, he got emotionally backed into a corner, became desperate and eventually made several steps back in his development. In other words this means falling back into old patterns that are amplified by the circumstances -> "Subaru what's going on with you?".

He is sent to the lowest low, the absolute bottom by his own actions and now has the chance to reconstruct his character bit by bit.

Or in short. By getting confronted with his own faults he broke but can now put the pieces together in a way that create a better man.

I going to echo both posts because some people in 11 pages of discussion still don't understand this.

Subaru is immature, childish, imprudent, ignorant, selfish and has no awareness about the situation he is in? Yes and he was learning it little by little but in this episode he got overwhelmed by not only his actions/behavior but also by the lack of memories of Emilia from his past lives.

Also how many times have he died? It isn't easy to handle your own death several times while alone and acting like it's nothing because sometimes you will break down like how he did in this episode and to make things worse everyone in that room was acting like an asshole towards Emilia, the girl which he was saved by.

I don't think it will be easy for him to handle this situation now since it is unlikely for him to have a restart because the price for it is quite high.
Jun 26, 2016 8:07 PM
Jul 2015
the cringe was sooooo real, i swear a 24 minute episode took me nearly an hour to finish because i kept pausing, i thought so many times this episode "SUBARI, JUST KILL YOURSELF" you know so that he can reset and shit, but pumped for the next episode was pretty dramatic overall and subaru really deserved that beating...
Jun 26, 2016 8:08 PM
Jun 2016
I think if you actually take the time to analyze Subaru and his actions, his characterization is completely on point.

He has always acted selfishly, from the very beginning.
He is an Otaku, with limited interaction with the outside world.
Upon arriving in this new world, he immediately disassociates himself from his own identity, making up a fake MC hero type to mask his confusion and fear. Before he has time to process any of this, low and behold, a beautiful girl who saves him from thugs and gives him her attention. Of course he is bedazzled by her and devoting himself to her is a welcome excuse from the new stark reality he has been dumped in. He immerses himself so deeply into becoming this heroic saviour for Emilia (and later Rem/Ram) that he creates a cloak around himself, shielding the real subaru inside.

As the story progresses, I think he genuinely begins to care for Emilia, but in a very unhealthy way. He then begins to further disassociate himself from reality by the lack of any real consequences from his actions. As he so blatantly says "I made it all work out, didn't I?" When he is finally confronted with reality, with who he really is, his faux identity is shattered, and the panic and fear and lack of understanding of this world pierces through the fake subaru. This is the real him.
Selfish, indignant, a coward. The Otaku subaru is finally here. He is being forced to see his actions do carry real consequence, that he IS NOT some MC hero, and that the world will not bend to his will simply from restarting over and over, that Emilia is not a jar of cookies for him to reach into when he wishes.

With all that said, I've never met an anime character more human, more relatable, and more real than Subaru. He is just a raw bundle of human experience and emotion. I really hope he can confront his true self, and work on creating an image of the real Subaru that he can be happy with.
Jun 26, 2016 8:09 PM

Dec 2009
Fai said:
Bananaoranges said:

So everything that occurred prior just didn't happen? He's just supposed to forget all the trauma he went through?

Not really. He should still be traumatized.
Sure would be nice if show itself remembered that instead of playing Subaru's stupidity 100% straight and forgetting he is supposed to have PTSD. The show remembered to do that in Arc 2, but not it seems to have completely forgotten arc 2 ever happened so...

Sure he 'threw' away his selfish attitude at that point in time, but hat doesn't mean it wont resurface. His suffering can be portrayed as a vicious cycle, he may have overcome the first hurdle but he's come across a second. When anxious and/or afraid you begin to make bad decisions.

Sure why not.
Let's have Arc4 be him acting idiotic around Felt, till she slaps him and makes him realize he is selfish, learning his mistake.
Then let's have arc5 have him act idiotic around Reinhard, till same happens.
Let's do it till we run out of characters.

I think you can already see why going in circles is bad writing and not how characterization is done. Character progression involves character either changing or reaffirming his path for a reason. Having a character literally be a revolving door does not make a consistent character.

And anyone who goes to lengths Subaru did at the end of this episode deserves a restraining order, instead of his own anime.

If you want to watch a person die because of an emotional freak out, you have problems. No one deserves to die, and that would be pretty fucked up logic to use even in the real world.
Jun 26, 2016 8:09 PM
gokigenyou~

May 2013
4kicks said:
Subaru was quite ugly in this episode, so much so that it was pitiful to watch him babble on. He says it was for her, which he isn't wrong about, but Emilia also wasn't wrong when she claimed Subaru was doing things to feel better about himself and his own ego. No matter how selfless someone is, even if they were to give up their own life...if the other person never asked for it, then a person's actions are always done for one's self before it's for another person's sake.

I for one am glad Subaru got his ass handed to him, because he really didn't know his place, his boundaries, or his limits....but above all, because he went full retard in his selfishness. With a girl he has feelings for that values promises highly, he nonetheless easily broke it to satisfy his own curiosity and ego. He claimed he was her knight, without knowing the ramifications that came with it. He accepted a duel, that would only burden Emilia if he got injured more than he was already than before. It's a noble thing to exploit his immortality to save people around him because of noblesse oblige, and it's another to force himself in other people's business that he has no right butting into. And at the end of it all, Subaru acted like an emotional entitled little bitch that can't get laid so he essentially lists all the reasons why Emilia owes him something, when she doesn't have to give him jack shit. It's like saving someone from drowning, expecting them to give you head because you saved their life--it just isn't logical. Subaru seriously needs to kill himself and try again.

And can they make Roswaal's sinister smirk anymore obvious? I never even read the novels but I'm now completely certain he is evil, or at the very least not what he seems, with his usual cheery persona being some kind of act to further some goal.

How unempathetic, did you seriously just weaken this down to "lol cuz he didn get laid XDDD"?

Is it really this hard to point this shit out to you people? Subaru clearly is in love with Emilia, and although he did some stupid shit, he did not deserve to be completely cut off from Emilia. They're both wrong in their own ways, they're both bad people in their own ways, and they both don't seem to understand each other.

I honestly think Subaru is better off abandoning Emilia, and just staying with Rem.

Jun 26, 2016 8:11 PM
Jun 2016
It's about time. I've disliked Subaru from the very beginning. His arrogance has gone unchecked but it finally caught up to him and he was put in his place.

I honestly hope he actually grows from this experience because the last two episodes he's become nearly unbearable.
Jun 26, 2016 8:12 PM
Jul 2007
I'm loving this show so far because it's stepping away from the "conventional/likable" MC. And in Subaru's defense, I think he's really frustrated and stressed out from dying so many times and not being recognized at all. And i read somewhere what's the point of being invested in the story if he can just reset? Well, I'd like to see you kill yourself and see how easy that is? Maybe he's not quite at that point yet of being desensitized to death. And I think Subaru does need someone to tell him to learn how to take situations CALMLY (ex: keeping his mouth shut during the royal selection). That's just a simple matter of rage taking over, which a lot of people actually go through and are forced to subdue. That is one of the hardest things to keep your mouth shut when a domineering person in the workplace starts talking ****. If you don't understand his character, you probably don't have any real life experience. For once, I feel like this character is very well written because it's not making me ask myself if this is corny or just happening for the sake of moving the story along, and I feel invested.
Jun 26, 2016 8:13 PM

Jan 2013
Venator25 said:
It's about time. I've disliked Subaru from the very beginning. His arrogance has gone unchecked but it finally caught up to him and he was put in his place.

I honestly hope he actually grows from this experience because the last two episodes he's become nearly unbearable.
I think emilia's harsh but true words at the end will make him come to realization of his poor decisions in the past two eps. Might still be a long road towards redemption though
Jun 26, 2016 8:13 PM

Mar 2015
Reinhard was so damn cool! I can't blame Emilia for ditching Scrubaru, he's lost his marbles man. Getting annoyed with his character to be honest. He was just a jealous kid trying to beat a knight with a big mouth. As a shut in gamer/otaku he should know that knights fight with swords not tongues. *sigh* Sad little boy. Then he tries to grief Emilia thinking she owes him because his past lives? Come on man. He can never be a knight with that attitude.
Jun 26, 2016 8:14 PM
Jul 2013
Subaru is annoying as hell

Dumbest MC ever
Jun 26, 2016 8:15 PM
Jun 2016
LoliSatan said:
4kicks said:

How unempathetic, did you seriously just weaken this down to "lol cuz he didn get laid XDDD"?

Is it really this hard to point this shit out to you people? Subaru clearly is in love with Emilia, and although he did some stupid shit, he did not deserve to be completely cut off from Emilia. They're both wrong in their own ways, they're both bad people in their own ways, and they both don't seem to understand each other.

I honestly think Subaru is better off abandoning Emilia, and just staying with Rem.

No he actually made some pretty good points. Subaru's arrogance and selfishness have been a part of his character from the very beginning. It was only a matter of time before he finally fucked up massively.
Pages (28) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ferris and Subaru

Daddi4900 - Jun 3

10 by Daddi4900 »»
Yesterday, 4:04 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1724 by ShadowkillZ »»
Jun 1, 10:23 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

589 by ShadowkillZ »»
Jun 1, 3:39 AM

» What happened to Emilia’s votes?

KillLaKillGOAT - May 29

7 by Phloup »»
May 29, 8:55 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2016

617 by AnimatedAddict »»
May 26, 9:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.