Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 12, 2016 10:29 PM

Jul 2015
Hey guys.

I've been on many different people's list, and I've noticed that a good handful of people had completed a lot of anime that they've rated below 5. To those who've rated certain anime below a 5, how did you do it?

I know for a fact that if/when I come across an anime that I think I'll rate below 5, I put them on-hold, which is the reason why I have so many anime on my On-Hold section, that I've seen no more than 5 episodes of each.

> Which anime did you find below average? What did you rate it?
> What made it deserve that rating (be cautious with spoilers too)?
> How did you overlook those flaws?

Share your tips LOL. I can barely get through one episode of an anime that I'd consider bad.

caught in the wonder
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 12, 2016 10:40 PM

Mar 2015
How did you overlook those flaws?
By making fun of it. Getting butthurt over some chinese cartoons is silly lol.
This salad is salty favored
Jun 12, 2016 10:42 PM

Nov 2015
> Which anime did you find below average? What did you rate it?
There are just so many you can go check out my list if you want to but for one I'd say Mirai Nikki

It was a spectacular trainwreck.
Here's what I said in another thread:

> How did you overlook those flaws?
I din't. I just laughed at it's terribleness.

And that's how I do it.
As long as a series is boring and provides entertainment even if it's through its terribadness I'm gonna watch it.

I guess I just derive sadistic pleasure through watching a series fail..
Jun 12, 2016 10:43 PM

May 2012
Depends how bad it is, if it's like Enride bad you just got to push through, if it's like Erased or Guilty Crown bad you just have to walk away.
Jun 12, 2016 10:45 PM

Jun 2015
I'm typing this while watching prince of tennis.

-my answer.
Jun 12, 2016 10:53 PM
Sep 2009
Watching it with a friend or two always makes a bad anime enjoyable for me.
Jun 12, 2016 10:54 PM

Nov 2013
By stopping every minute or so to write several hundred words about how much I hate it.
Jun 12, 2016 10:56 PM

Jul 2012
The two that pop out to me are Casshern sins and Blade of the Immortal for the first question.
Both cases fell I decided to grit my teeth and deal with it considering one of them wasn't long and I could watch other shows as a reward to myself. The other was on Toonami so it fell between shows I actually wanted to watch.
I gave them a 2 and a 3 respectively. I almost feel a 2 was generous for one but I really want to believe there are shows that could somehow be worse. The other I gave it slight props for concept but it was basically just as aggravating to watch.
You don't have to overlook the flaws, generally I'm much more of a silver lining type of viewer. I want to see the good in shows and rate primarily on enjoyment but those were two cases where I just couldn't.
Jun 12, 2016 10:59 PM
Sep 2015
Ma mama raised no quitter, ma mama raised a proper masochist!
Back on topic, I don't know, usually I have a pretty high tolerance to bullshit, if it's that bad then I just make my goal to enjoy hating it and get high on the feeling of grading it accordingly when I'm finally finished.
Usually anything with bad pacing and messy plot wakes up my inner ranting nazi. Also I don't mind an unlikable mc, but if they're also stubborn and unreasonable (with or without good reasons) then it's all abroad the rant train!
Jun 12, 2016 11:05 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah about half way if it's mediocre or just plain shit I'll typically drop it. I don't get how people can watch an entire series they don't like and then at the end of it be like wow that was horrible
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2016 11:07 PM
Jan 2013
Bad anime are literally the only worth anime watching right now
gone bai bai
Jun 12, 2016 11:13 PM

Oct 2015
Remind yourself that you'll get cookies after completing a bad anime.

Just me....?
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jun 12, 2016 11:16 PM

Oct 2014
You seemed to have avoided the words "show" and "series", so I'll assume this is about all anime rather than only TV series. All 54 anime that I have rated with 1s are shorts. I have spent a total of 5.37 hours on 1s which is about equivalent of a 13 episode anime, but this was stretched out over a fairly long period of time so it wasn't that painful. One anime that was painful to watch was Papillon Rose which is 6 full length episodes. I chose to watch it for the Anime Watching Challenge as an anime rated below 7.0 so I basically "had" to finish it as I felt that switching to using a different anime for the challenge would be chickening out.

For the full length TV series I've given 3s to:
Glasslip: This anime is basically a meme so I felt like completing it. The nice artwork helped me get through it and the teases they make around it possibly having a story later in the anime made me want to watch more, but it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience.
Absolute Duo: Started it when it was airing because of a gif I saw of the teacher. First four episodes were good and I kept watching hoping the ending could possibly match the quality of the beginning and it was just as disappointing as the rest of the last 8 episodes.
Ao Haru Ride: I did already plan to watch it, but I also put it down for an anime with a live action adaption in the 2015 anime challenge. I downloaded it to my laptop and didn't have internet access for a while after so it was fairly easy to mark the episodes off as I didn't have anything better to do. It wasn't that fun, but it was still more enjoyable than just sitting there staring at the wall.
WataMote: This was recommended to me by someone I can't even remember. I had originally given it a 6 as a sort of "meh" score, but looking back on it there really wasn't anything I liked about it.

4s:
I don't even consider 4 to be too harsh of a score. For TV shorts (<15 minutes/episode) this is a pretty common score. The full length series I've given this score to are A-Channel, Another, Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai, Plastic Memories, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (2009), Sword Art Online, and Sword Art Online II. I don't feel like going over why I completed all of them. I had my reasons, but generally they weren't all that painful to watch, but they were either generic and forgettable or just didn't have much going for them.
Jun 12, 2016 11:17 PM

Mar 2008
The "bad" ones I've completed, for the most part, I didn't completely dislike them... e.g. Brynhildr at least has a nice OP, Black Bullet had an interesting antagonist...
If I REALLY completely dislike an anime I don't bother finishing it and I just drop it, but since I've gotten a lot more selective with what I watch, I usually am able to complete it.
Jun 12, 2016 11:22 PM

Jul 2013
Of two ways, or by willpower (like the case of Mahouka), or because I followed them weekly (Chaos Dragon, Divine Gate...). Not that this really matters, as I'm a completionist.
Jun 12, 2016 11:23 PM

Jan 2010
While I may rate a number of shows below a 5/10, they're all still worthwhile to watch for their own reasons, whether if they had just one quality among a number of flaws, to understand how they failed in the context of their genre, or maybe it was just a fun trainwreck. Who knows.

I don't want to speak on specific titles, but I always enjoy a bad show, as it informs me about my own tastes in addition to letting me know what doesn't work in narrative. It's one thing to stay within my comfort zone and only watch shows I'm sure to enjoy, causing such shows to become stale after a while of elongated exposure. It's another to challenge myself by venturing into unknown territories and broadening my horizons, finding mounds of crap upon crap before coming upon a gem that, while still reeks, is a treasure to behold. That first-hand knowledge of what makes a show bad really gets you to appreciate how rare well-made shows are.

At least, that's what I tell myself when I watch shows that somehow manage to offend me as both an anime fan and a person. My goodness.
Jun 12, 2016 11:26 PM

Jul 2015
I haven't seen a TERRIBLE anime, yet. My lowest is a 4 for Pupa. I usually find the bad and low rated anime somewhat entertaining because it's funny or interesting somehow.
Jun 12, 2016 11:40 PM

Sep 2015
Getting together with your friends binging and roast the shit out of it.
Jun 12, 2016 11:48 PM

May 2016
Sheer force of will. And the knowledge that at least I'll be damn motivated to write a scathing review.

Though, of course, some atrocities are too horrendous to relive via review. And we will not be discussing those motherfucking chocolate cornets anytime soon.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 13, 2016 12:04 AM

Sep 2015
Off topic: I stumbled upon someone who has a mean score of 4. Now I'm sitting here thinking this guy is some edgy, critical, elitist when it comes to anime so I check out his list to see how hard he rates. Turns out, about 75% of shows that he's watched are like 2-5 minute shorts that are absolutely horse shit. Shorts that are legit a 1 (appalling). Like absolutely horrid forms of entertainment. Anyways I'm sitting here thinking about how cool he is for trying to achieve a low mean score when he's barely even watched a proper decent series.

How do I complete bad anime? I don't. Off to the drop list they go!
Jun 13, 2016 12:07 AM

Jun 2007
To me, 4-5 is below average and flawed in some way, but not downright awful or unbearable to watch. Many shows I've rated in that range could be described as "guilty pleasures" that're enjoyable enough to watch for the cute girls, boobs, pantsu, and ecchi situations, even if I give them a relatively low rating on their overall objective merits.

As for the "serious" anime that slide down the slippery slope or go off the deep end... alcohol can help, as can the "so bad it's good" factor that allows one to enjoy unintentional comedy. I'd describe shows like RahXephon, Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, and Code Geass R2 that way.

Some shows can seem fairly good for most of their run, but have their ratings torpedoed down from 6-7 to 4-5 at the very end. There are certainly more than enough 300-600-minute source-book commercials with "go read the manga/LN suckers!" cliffhanger non-endings out there to create that last-minute downgrade phenomenon.
Jun 13, 2016 12:12 AM

May 2016
Low rate doesn't mean unwatchable for me, it's dropped that means unwatchable.
Jun 13, 2016 12:20 AM

Apr 2014
i either make fun of how bad it is or hope that it will better overtime
Jun 13, 2016 12:27 AM

Oct 2014
Zalis said:
As for the "serious" anime that slide down the slippery slope or go off the deep end... alcohol can help, as can the "so bad it's good" factor that allows one to enjoy unintentional comedy. I'd describe shows like RahXephon, Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, and Code Geass R2 that way.
I've never heard anyone refer to Code Geass as "so bad it's good". I know R2 was definitely worse than R1, but it was a pretty average show overall and even had some aspects done quite well. The animation was high quality, the voice acting was done well, and even the writing wasn't that bad. Maybe I'm not really one to talk seeing as I consider Elfen Lied to be "so bad it's good" even though some people enjoy it in the way it was intended to be enjoyed ("so bad it's good" is actually an objective term, surprisingly, so one should never be allowed to "consider" something to be "so bad it's good" when anyone can believe it to be good for its own merits), but putting Code Geass in that category is going a bit too far. A "guilty pleasure" is a subjective term that simply means you enjoyed something and either feel bad about liking it in general or about liking it in the way you did. "So bad it's good" would be something like the Mario Peach-Hime movie which was so poorly done that it was hilarious and cringe worthy. There was some intentional comedy, but it was done in a way that you could laugh at the humour for being shitty rather than just cringing at how forced it is. The term "so bad it's good" could also be compared to hot water feeling cold. If water is lukewarm then calling it "so hot it's cold" would be a pretty stupid thing to say.
Jun 13, 2016 12:30 AM

Apr 2015
I for one is a viewer who tends to mercilessly drop, but either one of liking a character or being curious of the ending can help you trawl through a series you don't like
Jun 13, 2016 12:31 AM

Apr 2010
Sometimes the end can ruin it all. For me anyway.

Jun 13, 2016 12:34 AM

Feb 2014
It really depends on one's ranking scale I believe. Animes I rate with a 5 or 4 are most of the times shows that are watchable and might just be fun sometimes but if you break it up and try to actually find pros within all aspects then you're gonna have a hard time.

Otherwise it could also be one of those moments when the show is bad but it's so bad that its good. Like you can't help but be amused by how bad it actually is.
Jun 13, 2016 12:34 AM

Apr 2014
im secretly hoping it would get better ;-;
Jun 13, 2016 12:54 AM

Jan 2015
My anime ratings are based on how good/bad I think shows are relative to each other. So if I dropped all the shows that, right now, would get under a 5, I would just have to give other shows a score under 5 to properly represent how all shows stand in comparison to each other. (That being said, I do consider the anime I've rated under 5 to be "bad.")
Here's the gist: there's a difference between being "bad and boring" and being "bad and entertaining." My 2 and 4 scores are for the former, my 1 and 3 scores are for the latter. Counting down from 4, here are some examples:
4/10 -- Dagashi Kashi, because while it is entertaining at some moments and Saya's cute, overall it is boring. However, I do not have major quips about it. It's tolerable, but not worth a 5.
3/10 -- Charlotte, No.6, Mirai Nikki; because those shows aren't so terrible to be worth a 1, and at least were engaging and kept my attention, despite their numerous problems.
2/10 -- A Certain Magical Index, Kuroshitsuji; because they were so boring that I could barely pay attention, and when I was paying attention they were bad.
1/10 -- SAO, because at this point even the aspects which can be considered "redeemable" do not manage to redeem it.
It's not a matter of overlooking flaws, but of realizing that sometimes you need to put yourself through shitty anime in order to appreciate the anime which do get things right, and also to understand how things can be done wrong.
Also, making fun of bad anime is entertaining in and of itself. If I rated only on entertainment value, Dance with Devils would get a 10/10 instead of the 3 it currently holds.

edit: I feel like I've gone off on a tangent
Jun 13, 2016 1:12 AM

Jun 2016
Even though I've only got two shows on my list, I've used to rate on hummingbird. I don't rate based of on enjoyment alone. So even though I somewhat enjoyed watching a show, I can rate it lower because of other factors. Not to mention, a five does really mean average for me, so a show I would rate a four, doesn't necessarily have to be that /bad/ to me.

For example, Diabolik lovers was lovely to hate watch, but I rated it lower because of the awful plot, awful characters, and lazy animation. However, like I said before, it was fun to watch for a number of reasons.

As for watching boring shows (Boring =/= bad, since enjoyment is very personal), I just stop watching shows I find to be boring.
Jun 13, 2016 1:19 AM

May 2012
orosan said:
im secretly hoping it would get better ;-;

This was my reasoning for continuing Golgo 13 past the first season. Now, even though I find it repetitive as all hell and have had it on my watch list practically since joining this site, I'm too close to the finish line to drop it.
Jun 13, 2016 2:11 AM

Sep 2015
Well first and foremost, I don't like dropping anime. I like seeing stories through to the end, even if I'm not particularly fond of the anime. By the time I establish just how much I'm enjoying a series, I'll think to myself "I'm already halfway through, so I might as well finish it". It would bug me to no end if I looked through my list and saw a bunch of anime that I never saw the end of.

But aside from that, there are plenty of shows that I gave a 4 to which were enjoyable in their own right, and just sadly were pulled down by other factors. I did have a fair bit of enjoyment from SAO at first, but its myriad of other problems tanked the score. Nurse Witch Komugi-Chan R was an okay anime, but it wasn't really to my taste so I dropped it from 5 to 4; I didn't think it was bad, but it just wasn't for me.
I mean, if you look at 5/10 as being just "average" then 4/10 really isn't that bad. It's only a single point below, so it's not like it suddenly has absolutely no enjoyment whatsoever. I can still get a few kicks out of it, so continuing on and watching it doesn't become that hard. I am perfectly fine watching something I consider a 5/10. I liked Yuru Yuri and it made me laugh a fair few times, but it was a little too repetitive, so a 5/10 seemed fitting for it.

As for everything that's lower, it definitely gets a little harder to watch but even then, if it doesn't piss me off by being full of terrible tropes that I hate then it's still not overly difficult to power on through. Sengoku Basara might have been a fairly terrible anime but as far as I'm concerned, but I like the Sengoku era and anime based on it, so my interest there let me keep on going. It didn't have any awful tsundere cunts - which is a surefire way for me to hate an anime, for instance - so watching each episode wasn't that bad.

I don't have many 2s and 1s, but those cases are just willpower. I have to see things through to the end, and at least by watching them until the end, I get more of a right to disparage and criticise them. No one can say "Well actually, you didn't see it through to the end so you don't know what you're talking about". I don't see them as a waste of my time, because at least by seeing some fucking awful anime, I can appreciate the better ones that much more. There's always something that you can take from each anime, whether it was a masterpiece or irredeemable sewage.
MazJun 13, 2016 2:14 AM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jun 13, 2016 3:35 AM

Oct 2009
I don't. I can't, unless it turns really bad just 2-3 eps left before it ends. Then I rant on the discussion thread a LOT :>

Jun 13, 2016 3:37 AM

Feb 2013
they don't
watching anime is all an elaborate ruse
Jun 13, 2016 3:39 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I was able to complete those anime I rated below 5 because deep down in my heart I believed it was going to have good ending........Absolute Duo for example.....but....

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jun 13, 2016 3:43 AM

May 2016
Eh all the anime that goes below 4 in my list, are all pestered to watch by my IRL friends, i know i won't enjoy them, but still i'll watch till the end because i respect them.
if i watch an anime by myself and consider it bad, i'll drop it instantly without even rating them.
Jun 13, 2016 3:43 AM

Apr 2015
watch it as u play a video game. i have a wii u so i watch anime on it all the time but a bad anime comes i watch it and play my xbox
Jun 13, 2016 3:50 AM
Jan 2016
It does really come down to how bad the anime really is... For me something like Divine gate, which I really did not enjoy, I just pushed on despising every minute and second.....However there are anime that are just a meh rating...those are the ones that I can watch and at least get some fun from it.
Jun 13, 2016 3:56 AM
Jul 2018
First of all i don't pick a anime that has a reputation of being bad.
Jun 13, 2016 12:52 PM

Jul 2015
tyler-hoshi said:
watch it as u play a video game. i have a wii u so i watch anime on it all the time but a bad anime comes i watch it and play my xbox

Doesn't that work only if you're watching dubbed? Unless if you can understand Japanese. I personally always watch subs

amk_2397 said:

But that's only if you have friends that actually watch anime tho. Almost all of my friends do not.

caught in the wonder
Jun 13, 2016 12:55 PM

Feb 2010
life seems too good sometimes so i torture myself with chinese cartoons
Jun 13, 2016 12:55 PM

Jun 2013
Easy. I'm a masochist. I've never dropped a single anime in my life.
Jun 13, 2016 7:16 PM

Jun 2015
I dont understand either. There are very few anime that i completed and hated, those anime being akame ga kill, charlotte, toradora, and chivalry of a failed knight. The rest of the anime i didnt like, i dropped. I watch anime to have fun, not to brag about how many anime i completed or to add to my list or give low scores to everything in an attempt to sound smart.
Grimgar season 2 please!!!!
Jun 13, 2016 7:19 PM
Jul 2018
It's so you can lower your average rating to make you look more patrician.
Jun 13, 2016 7:22 PM

Sep 2013
With the Willpower to finish what I have started
Shirobako is AOTY 2015. Deal with it.
Jun 13, 2016 7:33 PM
Jun 2016
my motto is if i start an anime i gotta finish it, cause something must have caugh my attention to start it. of course when its too bad that i feel like puking i get trough it much slower but i guess its another experience in itself ;) and when i finally find a gem that i really love out of all the "not so good' one it make it shine even more. and sometime sticking with it pays off, thinking about steins gate, at first i wasnt so thrilled about it, yet after finishing it i can place it in my favorite list!
Jun 13, 2016 9:45 PM

Jul 2015
If it's a short or a short OVA, I will just laugh at how terrible is until the end, for example, Pupa or Wonder Momo.

If it's a 12 episodes anime, if I watch it while airing I might finish it because it's just a weekly episode, if it isn't I just won't bother because I know that if I stop watching it, the next time I won't have the motivation to watch the next episode, example, the Asterisk Wars (well, but I dropped season 2, I just couldn't handle more of that).

More than that number of episodes? Hell no.
Jun 13, 2016 10:54 PM

Feb 2015
to get rid of it on my list. and to show meh guts :p i rarely ever drop.
Jun 13, 2016 11:46 PM

Sep 2015
Striktlyy said:
tyler-hoshi said:

Doesn't that work only if you're watching dubbed? Unless if you can understand Japanese. I personally always watch subs

amk_2397 said:

But that's only if you have friends that actually watch anime tho. Almost all of my friends do not.
Well find some friends who watch anime. If not, then just power through it.
Jun 13, 2016 11:54 PM

May 2015
Parasyte, BTOOOM!, Ore Twintails!

These were anime with decent ideas and premises. Sometimes they started really good. Parasyte was enjoyable for the first 3 episodes or so. But then they crumble - falling back on cliches, becoming boring and having no sense of fun.

I continue watching to see whether it'll improve. They're not too long.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

5 by Vaturna »»
9 seconds ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 44 minutes ago

4 by SgtBateMan »»
2 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 2 hours ago

11 by Catalano »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 58 minutes ago

13 by WatchTillTandava »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

27 by Rhaelynne »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.