Forum Settings
Forums

Finding a job is exhausting and soul-crushing.

New
Jun 5, 2016 4:22 PM
Jul 2014
How are you guys faring in job search. (for the unemployed) Also, what was your field of study?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 5, 2016 4:31 PM

Jan 2015
This is a required step in your eventual metamorphosis into a basement dwelling NEET. Do not fret, evolution awaits you perfect lifeform.
Jun 5, 2016 4:37 PM

Jan 2009
im a Computer Science graduate but i never had a programming job other than being an EDP staff (Electronic Data Processing)

back when i was still applying for a job it takes like months and a lot of resume sending to the job center here before i get 1 interview lol so ye the world job market right now sucks big time and worse because of overpopulation there is a lot of applicants competing for limited available job offers

if you are unemployed for a long time now i suggest you do volunteer work like a data encoder or clerical assistant in an office so that you still can acquire job experiences that way and help your resume, its also good to do short term courses to increase your skills and expertise and thats good for your resume again
Jun 5, 2016 4:41 PM

Apr 2013
Jobs are for squares. Are you a square?
Jun 5, 2016 4:42 PM
Jul 2014
skitzo said:
im a Computer Science graduate but i never had a programming job other than being an EDP staff (Electronic Data Processing)

back when i was still applying for a job it takes like months and a lot of resume sending to the job center here before i get 1 interview lol so ye the world job market right now sucks big time and worse because of overpopulation there is a lot of applicants competing for limited available job offers

if you are unemployed for a long time now i suggest you do volunteer work like a data encoder or clerical assistant in an office so that you still can acquire job experiences that way and help your resume, its also good to do short term courses to increase your skills and expertise and thats good for your resume again

Yea I would def. take in internships or volunteer work while I am unemployed to build up experience. I think that is a good idea but you would need some money to fund this.
Jun 5, 2016 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
All about that NEETlife

Moving out of the city since finding a job here is suffering
Jun 5, 2016 4:58 PM

Oct 2014
I had a job as a fast food worker, got fired, and now have a job as a dishwasher. I will get a more highly ranked job sometime in the future.
Jun 5, 2016 5:16 PM
Jul 2014
sleeplesstown said:
All about that NEETlife

Moving out of the city since finding a job here is suffering

What was your field of study? Hang in there man!
Jun 5, 2016 5:36 PM
Jul 2018
CrimBlacklotus said:

What was your field of study? Hang in there man!

Going to go into trades once I get everything all sorted out.
Jun 5, 2016 6:43 PM

Nov 2008
If you think you have it rough, take a look at this, you'll need a teddy bear or have something happy and positive close by as it's incredibly depressing.

https://twitter.com/y_u9n/status/738163044811837440/photo/1

Jun 5, 2016 6:47 PM

Jan 2009
Hoppy said:
If you think you have it rough, take a look at this, you'll need a teddy bear or have something happy and positive close by as it's incredibly depressing.

and worse only few to none of them will be interviewed or hired lol
Jun 5, 2016 6:48 PM
Jul 2014
Hoppy said:

Can you explain what that is? I don't get it. I am going to need a little bit of context.
Jun 5, 2016 6:50 PM

Nov 2008
CrimBlacklotus said:
Hoppy said:

Can you explain what that is? I don't get it. I am going to need a little bit of context.

Japanese job hunting in a nutshell. it's same-y and overtly conformal to the point that it's empty and depressing.

Jun 5, 2016 7:30 PM
Jul 2014
Hoppy said:
CrimBlacklotus said:

Japanese job hunting in a nutshell. it's same-y and overtly conformal to the point that it's empty and depressing.

I don't get it. Isn't it the same like in most countries?
Jun 5, 2016 11:31 PM
Jul 2018
Job searching was a pain for me
When I finally got my current; and first job, it was like the crushing weight of rejection had been lifted from my shoulders.
Jun 5, 2016 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
ModeratelyHuman said:
This is a required step in your eventual metamorphosis into a basement dwelling NEET. Do not fret, evolution awaits you perfect lifeform.

That was way too funny to me, for some reason.

Anyway, the only job I've had was one in the same building where my mom worked, so I didn't really have to try. Before that, I looked all over the place and no one even called me back. It was stupid.

Now I've been a full time student for the past several months, so I haven't been working again. Yaaaaay, student debt.
Jun 6, 2016 12:21 AM

Jun 2016
Stop being self-righteous and get on welfare; so long as other people work, you don't have to.
Jun 6, 2016 12:27 AM

Apr 2015
Literally just asked for a job at some pizza place and got given it, it really isn't that hard.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jun 6, 2016 12:39 AM

May 2013
One of the two things I feel bad for those living in developed countries is this job searching. In developing countries, it's not as difficult. Only difficult if we're trying to get into that big company. I myself only applied 4 times and had 2 interviews before I got mine.
Jun 6, 2016 12:54 AM

Jan 2009
FlameWingman21 said:
One of the two things I feel bad for those living in developed countries is this job searching. In developing countries, it's not as difficult. Only difficult if we're trying to get into that big company. I myself only applied 4 times and had 2 interviews before I got mine.

thats not always the case though i live in a poor country too and its hard to get hired in a decent paying job if you do not have a backer (nepotism sucks) or your education background and credentials are not good enough, and worse most of the decent paying jobs here are mostly in one place only (the metro manila) while we here in the provinces only have few decent jobs available so we end up doing jobs on the factories or work overseas
Jun 6, 2016 1:13 AM

May 2013
skitzo said:
FlameWingman21 said:

thats not always the case though i live in a poor country too and its hard to get hired in a decent paying job if you do not have a backer (nepotism sucks) or your education background and credentials are not good enough, and worse most of the decent paying jobs here are mostly in one place only (the metro manila) while we here in the provinces only have few decent jobs available so we end up doing jobs on the factories or work overseas

I think it's normal that we can't get a decent paying job if we don't have convincing / good education background or other skills. Any company would rather play safe and give the job to those convincing ones. I know I would if I owned one.

Living in a too poor town sucks of course. No way a company can pay much when they can't earn much themselves. Consider moving to slightly bigger ones. In my case, I live in one of the only few big cities my country (still nothing when compared to those of a developed country obviously).
Jun 6, 2016 1:45 AM
Jul 2014
FlameWingman21 said:

I thought it would be harder to get jobs in developing countries...
Jun 6, 2016 1:47 AM

Jan 2009
CrimBlacklotus said:
FlameWingman21 said:

as someone living in a poor country i thought so too considering a lot of people here for example look for work overseas

but he said he is living in a big city though so that may explain his circumstance
Jun 6, 2016 2:23 AM

May 2013
CrimBlacklotus said:
FlameWingman21 said:

Depends on how poor it is I guess.

I got an office job with only my high school certificate. That's just how low the standard here. Don't think it's possible in any developed countries. Not to mention how low the quality of human resource here. The number of people who is computer literate is still quite low.
Jun 6, 2016 2:45 AM

May 2015
I'll never accept something that doesn't pay or the pay is low because of my age
Jun 6, 2016 2:48 AM

Aug 2013
man I feel you I did games development and journalism but upon leaving uni I had to get a job so landed in a sales assistant role for around a year. Then that job ended and Ive been unemployed for a year now. Markets hard, only jobs within reach of where I live tend to be caring for old people.

Problem is your CV can get to look a certain way if you take jobs out of necessity. My training is not in sales assistant and warehouse roles and yet those are the only jobs taking people. Eventually when you do get interviews in places you're trained for they ask you "Why are you applying for this office role when your experience is in sales and warehousing"
If I take another sales or warehouse job im literally tailoring myself into a job category and I'll have no chance of landing a job in my actual field but you gotta get money its a trap, a trap designed to stop higher educated lot leaving the lower fields more empty theres not a lot of higher wage stuff about so trap a bunch of college leavers in the warehouses out of necessity until thats all they're good for. I'm 25 and theres plenty of younger uni leavers who are more enticing to employers.
Jun 6, 2016 3:17 AM

May 2014
I would say that living like a NEET is exceptionally more soul crushing.
So keep trying OP because the alternative is hell.

EDIT: A young guy just came at me on the street asking for change to buy food ... now thats what i call soul crushing.
Jun 6, 2016 6:37 AM

Dec 2015
I am unemployed and I am enjoying it. (Germany - where I live - has good social security.) Not too lazy to work. But I do not like the application stuff and job interviews. (I was extremely introvert in real life ... it got a bit better. Job intervies are still something that makes me feel uncomfortable even though I have gotten more used to it.)

More like: Less motivation to apply - for me.

Hate those lying and exaggerating which often seems to be required/expected in job interviews (at least in my country). I usually try to be more realistic or underestimate my own abilities. And I do not like to say "wow this is the job I have dreamed about for my whole life and I have always wanted to work for this company". I just say "it is okay - I'd do it and I need the money". But usually to companies this seems like a less/lower motivated person - even though I am not often ill and can do the work (as long as there is enough work - and it is not getting boring - and the co-workers are okay ... anything would be fine as long as I can manage it with my physical strength).
Jun 6, 2016 6:41 AM

Nov 2011
Finding it is easy, getting it is another story. It took me about 4 months to get a job after I quit my last one for being so tedious and lame.

Jun 6, 2016 11:16 AM

Jun 2016
Working one might be even more so. :D
Jun 6, 2016 11:44 AM
Apr 2013
Thanks, I'm going to be looking for my first job in around two weeks from now
> <
Jun 6, 2016 12:32 PM

Feb 2012
The last time I worked was 2011, which was a summer job at a chemical factory. After that I've been in one interview for a railroad company. To be frank, I think my money and time are better spent trying my odds at the lottery than pretending I have a chance at getting hired. That ship has sailed ages ago.

I don't have any good advice, but I can tell that when I was still a normal person, I got all my jobs through either contacts (was literally told there is this and this job) or just dumb luck (spam net applications). I've never got a job through the "correct" method with the CVs and interviews.
mecharobotJun 6, 2016 12:45 PM
Jun 6, 2016 10:54 PM
Jul 2014
55Snakes said:
Thanks, I'm going to be looking for my first job in around two weeks from now
> <

What jobs are you going to look for mostly?
Jun 6, 2016 10:57 PM

May 2016
Yes... yes it is. Interviews are terrifying. I'm good for now, but, come September, my temporary contract is up and then I don't even want to think about it... but I guess I should. I'm a Lab Technologist.
Jun 6, 2016 11:01 PM

Feb 2008
It's only difficult to find employment if you're unwilling to leave your country. Plenty of places in Asia are looking for foreign workers, and doubly so if you know one of the languages there.
Jun 6, 2016 11:13 PM

Mar 2016
Try finding a job when you have limits like your RFC (Residual Functional Capacity) is Light work only and are partially paralyzed from the waist down.
It's a real bitch. >_>

Here in the US it's like no place wants to hire someone that is willing to work but has a disability that can get worse.
At most the Forest state park lets me volunteer, so that's nice.

Jun 7, 2016 12:59 AM
Jul 2014
Zepton said:
Yes... yes it is. Interviews are terrifying. I'm good for now, but, come September, my temporary contract is up and then I don't even want to think about it... but I guess I should. I'm a Lab Technologist.

How come they are so terrifying for you? As long as you can articulate your skills and qualifications then you are good.
Jun 7, 2016 8:44 AM

May 2016
CrimBlacklotus said:
How come they are so terrifying for you? As long as you can articulate your skills and qualifications then you are good.

I'm not great at communication... get really anxious. Might be better now that I've got some more experience than just university, like I might have more answers to questions they could ask, still nerve-wracking though.
Jun 7, 2016 9:12 AM

Jan 2013
It sure is. After sending many resumes, I finally got a few interviews and then a job.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2016 12:33 PM
Jul 2016
Finding a job is challenging but great!
Aug 2, 2016 1:07 PM

Mar 2014
I was lucky enough to find my first job in a field that is always hiring everywhere in the world. Nobody wants to take care of disabled kids apparently, but it's not stressful or difficult at all unless you have kids with heart conditions or seizures or something, but after about a year you usually get offered a full time position and you can wait to accept one that's less disabled, like teaching deaf kids of something. Unless you're a convicted felon you should have no problem getting hired as a substitute AI which makes $11-$15/hour depending on the district, and a bit more than that if you're a full time employee. Department of Defense schools offer the same positions, and full time employees there can make as much as 30k a year starting salary. This is a job that requires no more than a high school diploma and experience which you get by subbing. Making much more than this will likely require higher education.

You can apply at any fast food establishment and make minimum wage, If you work hard and impress your employer, you can move up to shift manager, and eventually store manager. One of my friends did this in less than 5 years and now makes about 40k. Not everyone will be able to move up obviously, so you need to pick up extra shifts, volunteer for extra work, and do a good job. I worked in fast food for about a year, and soon had more hours than any other employee except managers.

These are two position that are always hiring. School districts interview in groups, usually twice a year, so you may need to wait a few months.

I have never found job searching stressful, just mildly annoying, but most things are like that. You don't get in good shape if you don't work out, you won't do well in school if you ignore your homework, don't expect much out of life unless you put in at least the bare minimum. You might have to settle for jobs you believe are beneath you. Job searching is not soul crushing, being a parasite is soul crushing.
merryfistmasAug 2, 2016 1:11 PM
Aug 2, 2016 1:37 PM

Dec 2009
I have one now but I remember the worst part in all interviews for me was

"why do you want this job?" and "how much experience do you have?"

lol like bruh I just want fucking $, I don't have a good reason other than that and for the second one my answer is always none.
Aug 2, 2016 8:54 PM

Sep 2014
shotz_ said:
lol true. but the sad thing is is usually the job itself will be more soul crushing than the search. you have a lot to look forward to.

especially if you're in a job that makes pennies and involves alot of dull work.
Aug 2, 2016 9:37 PM

Jan 2012
I volunteered at a dog kennel and it was so depressing that I couldn't stand it. In the end I decided to go into accounting and we'll see how that goes. I had a good offer from a close friend who needed some an accountant to help them out in book-keeping and it'd give me experience.
Aug 2, 2016 9:42 PM

May 2014
I'm a 17, soon to be 18 year old who didn't graduate on time so I have to go back in the fall.. I won't be going to actual classes though, I'm finishing by completing an art credit at home and doing an internship so I could easily have a full time job. So employers get really confused all the time and it's getting to be a chore explaining everything because they're older and don't understand today's school system. I think I'm better off looking for a job after I have my diploma.
TharjaAug 2, 2016 9:45 PM
Aug 2, 2016 10:25 PM

Oct 2012
Cookies said:
Literally just asked for a job at some pizza place and got given it, it really isn't that hard.

I might have a theory on why "it really isn't that hard".

Aug 2, 2016 10:40 PM

Jan 2013
FontSize72LOL said:
Cookies said:

The earth will be inherited by robots and females.
Aug 3, 2016 12:20 AM

Apr 2015
FontSize72LOL said:
Cookies said:

You can literally walk up to any laid back food place and just ask for a job and there's a 5% chance you'll get one, just keep going until one says "sure" lol.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Aug 3, 2016 12:23 AM

May 2013
go on craigslist man. If you want a job, you'll find one there. I've found restaurant work and a job delivering newspapers via craigslist, it's actually just a question of following up on the ads.

that is, if you think those jobs are for you...
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Aug 3, 2016 12:35 AM

Jul 2015
merryfistmas said:
being a parasite is soul crushing.

Unemployed = parasyte is a myth. A capitalist society wouldn't give money to useless people. Unemployment is beneficial to the system, it keeps minimum wage workers under pressure.

The parasytes are the one who are literally doing nothing useful for society and making money out of it. Who needs fucking supermarkets, they're literally producing 0 and taking all the money of the alimentation business lol.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» "IT'S KILLING TIME, BABY!"

LenRea - Yesterday

12 by RainyEvenings »»
32 minutes ago

» What are the best and worst reaction image sets?

Commit_Crime - 12 hours ago

7 by GinInYourJuice »»
39 minutes ago

» skincare advice?

reimirin - Aug 4, 2021

6 by kidsfun768 »»
44 minutes ago

» Why do people abandon their friends for relationships?

Amityblight - Sep 20

48 by Meusnier »»
2 hours ago

» How much of your personality should be in your writing?

Nette - 3 hours ago

2 by SimplyBrazen »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.