Forum Settings
Forums

Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5

New
Pages (85) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »
Dec 29, 2016 9:08 AM
Jun 2016
One punch man.
I get that it's a gag show and most of the time I love me some Japanese gag humor but for some reason OPM's brand of humor got boring after three episodes. I dropped it during the season it was airing because the same thing every week got old. Maybe I'll try it marathon style but not anytime soon.
Dec 29, 2016 9:10 AM

Aug 2010
jak123 said:
And I'm not talking about the people who dislike it for no other reason aside it being popular. (There are those kinds of people.)

I'm saying those animes that while you could understand why people like them, you just can't seem to get into them.

Example: For me, it has to be Orange:

Pff please, Orange is just bad. The relationships between the characters are just so bad ahh. It's like the mangaka never had actual friends (which probably is the case).
Dec 29, 2016 9:11 AM

Jul 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Aquamirror said:

Well, incubators didn't lose anything. Girls still die, and they still make energy.
They lost Madoka who would have provided a huge amount of energy.

Tenshi_Shura said:

He is bound by contract. He did not anticipate Madoka making a wish like that and has no choice but to do so.
That is pretty stupid then because a potential magical girl with prior knowledge could just wish for the Incubators to have never existed which would make him basically delete himself.

That scenario is impossible because no other girl has as much magical potential as Madoka to have a massive wish like that granted. Madoka was just a special case because she was an anomaly.
Dec 29, 2016 9:11 AM

Oct 2016
Goku said:
jak123 said:
Example: For me, it has to be Orange:

That is weird that you would say that. When I was watching Orange the one thing I really liked about the anime was Suwa's character.

Dec 29, 2016 9:14 AM

Mar 2016
Code Geass - I still haven't checked it out and I've seen quite a lot of anime, it's just that I accidently watched a video where it shows a major spoiler, and haven't tried to watch it.

Steins Gate - I know it looked really good, but I just really didn't feel like watching it. In the end I watched it as my 100th anime. It amazed me.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - Magical girls, Magic, I can't stand those. Although I didn't know that it was a thriller, otherwise I would've watched it sooner.
Dec 29, 2016 9:17 AM
Sep 2015
Sigh, so many of them and yet I push myself to complete them.

• One Piece: I'm keeping up with it and I consider it above average but I could never really get into it. I had to force myself to watch past the Alabasta arc and I eventually switched to the manga.
  • K-On: I like SoL shows, but I consider this impossible to get through. Every episode feels like it lasts a century and yet nothing funny or interesting has happened.
  • Cowboy Bebop: Couldn't keep me interested at all. I give it props for being one of the most influential anime of all time, but I don't like it.
  • Mirai Nikki/Angel Beats: Appear dark and deep but everything feels forced and not real.
  • Monster Musume: God, why does this even exist?

Dec 29, 2016 9:30 AM

Aug 2013
Tenshi_Shura said:
DrGeroCreation said:
They lost Madoka who would have provided a huge amount of energy.

That is pretty stupid then because a potential magical girl with prior knowledge could just wish for the Incubators to have never existed which would make him basically delete himself.

That scenario is impossible because no other girl has as much magical potential as Madoka to have a massive wish like that granted. Madoka was just a special case because she was an anomaly.
From the anime wishes don't seem linked to potential magical power. The main Madoka is supposed to become a very powerful magical girl because of Homura's actions regardless of whatever wish she made
I've never seen it stated in the anime or implied that wish granting is dependent on the hidden magical potential of the soon to be magical girl. My understanding is that Kyubey is just supposed to grant any wish in exchange for the girl becoming a maho shoujo.
Dec 29, 2016 9:43 AM

Jul 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

From the anime wishes don't seem linked to potential magical power. The main Madoka is supposed to become a very powerful magical girl because of Homura's actions regardless of whatever wish she made
I've never seen it stated in the anime or implied that wish granting is dependent on the hidden magical potential of the soon to be magical girl. My understanding is that Kyubey is just supposed to grant any wish in exchange for the girl becoming a maho shoujo.

You are the center of karmic destiny from many different timelines.
So, no matter how enormous your wish, it most definitely will come true.

These are the exact words that Kyubey said to Madoka on episode 12. Kyubey's wish-granting capabilities have been stated to be limitless, which is true, until that particular episode where he uttered those words. That alone implies that a certain amount of energy is required to grant a wish and that other magical girls could not possibly achieve such a wish. Kyubey's nature of being unable to lie further proves it but even with that, it still wouldn't pose a problem to the Incubators. That's exactly why they chose to harvest energy from adolescent girls.
Dull_LullDec 29, 2016 10:08 AM
Dec 29, 2016 9:49 AM

Apr 2016
I have quite a lot that i couldn't get into. For example:

Durarara
Steins Gate (though i'm planning on giving it another chance)
Monogatari Series
Haikyuu
Toradora
Jojo (also planning on giving it another chance, someday, probably)
I was going to add One punch man since i tried it out and dropped it the first episode, but came back to it later and once i finished it, it kind of grew on me i guess, though i still have some mixed feeling about it. Idk why so many people overhype this show, if it's just because it's a parody, to me it's nothing special. I'll most likely forget about it in a couple of months.
Dec 29, 2016 9:57 AM

Jul 2014
Adapted from YLIA subthread......

OppaiSugoi said:
I'm pretty much going to drop this one. Damn Kaori and company keep toying with Kousei and his phobia of the piano. Seriously they are very insensitive of his feelings that would drive someone to suicide. I had this on a long hiatus on ep11, got around to rewatching it again from the beginning, and now triggered by dumbshits having a laugh on Kousei basically to where I'm now again having this on hold at ep11 since I can't stand this shit anymore. Kousei's liking for Kaori should've never happened.

Basically Fuck this Shit.
Dec 29, 2016 9:59 AM

Oct 2016
Vlad4o said:

Durarara
Monogatari Series
Haikyuu
Toradora
I was going to add One punch man since i tried it out and dropped it the first episode, but came back to it later and once i finished it, it kind of grew on me i guess, though i still have some mixed feeling about it. Idk why so many people overhype this show, if it's just because it's a parody, to me it's nothing special. I'll most likely forget about it in a couple of months.
OPM for me is definitely a fun fight show. I think the one thing I don't like about it is that it's too overloaded with side characters. Aside from Saitama and Genos, no one else gets enough screen time to develop especially characters like Tornado.
Dec 29, 2016 10:07 AM
Apr 2016
Fate/Zero: It felt overbearing. Animation is fantastic (because ufotable), but it wasn't nearly enough to keep me hooked; furthermore, the world design seemed kinda restrictive and almost suffocating, due mostly to the lighting. I never really "got it."

ERASED: I'd describe this show as "conceited." It seemed to think it was somehow above everything else (of course, that can't be substantially proven, so I don't care to try). So many elements of the show were poorly fleshed out, and I couldn't enjoy it.

Akame ga Kill: I don't know what the consensus of this show is on this site, but my friends loved this show for some reason. It was insulting, in that it genuinely thought it could be considered good on grounds of THE FRIGGIN' FACT THAT THEY KILL CHARACTERS WITHOUT ESTABLISHING ANY REASON FOR THE VIEWER TO CARE. You couldn't pay me to watch more of it.

Sword Art Online: Everyone hates it now, but I hated it the second it came out. Yeah, this totally sounds like I'm saying that I hated it "before it was cool," and... yeah, I kinda did. I don't think I need to explain why.

Your Lie in April: I actually went into this show expecting that I'd like it, but there are a few reasons why I just couldn't get it. BUT THE FIRST OP ISN'T ONE OF THEM, because I adore the song. One reason why I dislike the show is because I always felt that it had an improper disparity of priorities (in that, to me, music in the show ironically felt unimportant). That, among others, made it boring and unenjoyable.

And a ton more like Fairy Tail, Haikyu (sometimes) Re:Zero, Golden Time, Parasyte, Shokugeki no Souma, and Yuri on Ice to name a few.

Not too sure of the general consensus on these shows on this site, though. Mainly basing assumed consensus on hearsay. Bleh.
Dec 29, 2016 10:18 AM

Oct 2016
RoyFarrite said:

Sword Art Online: Everyone hates it now, but I hated it the second it came out. Yeah, this totally sounds like I'm saying that I hated it "before it was cool," and... yeah, I kinda did. I don't think I need to explain why.

Except you do because it's still an incredibly popular anime and the games have gotten quite popular as well.
Dec 29, 2016 10:18 AM

Apr 2016
jak123 said:
Vlad4o said:

Durarara
Monogatari Series
Haikyuu
Toradora
OPM for me is definitely a fun fight show. I think the one thing I don't like about it is that it's too overloaded with side characters. Aside from Saitama and Genos, no one else gets enough screen time to develop especially characters like Tornado.

It's a fun show, not going to deny that, and a few things i can really praise are the animation, which was amazing, and the soundtrack which was GODLY, i even listen to some of the songs today, the fights were also cool and the characters designs were good, but as you said, most of them were sidelined and it felt like a waste. Also i didn't like Saitama as much as others did, he just kind of destroyed every single moment that the anime built up.
Dec 29, 2016 10:34 AM
Apr 2016
jak123 said:
RoyFarrite said:

Except you do because it's still an incredibly popular anime and the games have gotten quite popular as well.
I mainly said I don't need to explain it because other people have done it so much better than I can.
Dec 29, 2016 10:39 AM

Oct 2016
Probably Psycho Pass. The only good thing about that show was the main villain and even that can't save itself from being such a borefest.
Dec 29, 2016 11:03 AM

Oct 2011
NGE & Berserk:tried watching them again and again over the span of a decade never completed them never will they just dont have "IT"

"When the time is yours,
the future is waiting,
The person you become,
and the people you're creating.
"
Dec 29, 2016 11:11 AM

Dec 2014
Baccano - I mean, I know that it MUST be good, but I've tried twice and I can never get through the first episode? Like, there's nothing really wrong with it, but I suppose that, whenever I get around to watching it, I'm just never in the mood for it perhaps? The same goes for drrr, though that's probably because of the slow start
Dec 29, 2016 11:20 AM

Apr 2016
I had a bit of trouble getting into Steins;Gate at first, though now it's a favorite of mine. A better example would be Mob Psycho 100, I was watching it normally for a while then for some reason I but it on a massive hold.
Dec 29, 2016 11:30 AM

Jun 2015
Glad to see people on here who couldn't get into Bungou Stray Dogs either. I really tried, but I ended up just watching it for the animation and comedy/Mamoru Miyano's voice acting.
Dec 29, 2016 12:27 PM

Apr 2015
I definitely have quite a few shows like that:

- Psycho Pass: I understand why people like it, and it has an interesting concept, but I just found it boring. This was a few years ago though so I'll probably give it another chance

- Hataraku Maou-sama!: The first few episodes were glorious but after around episode three or four everything went downhill. Fast.

- Code Geass: Some parts were interesting but overall, I was pretty bored with the show. Maybe cause mecha isn't my thing?

- AnoHana: I could see why it's seen as a "tearjerker" show, but I just couldn't empathize with any of the characters

- No Game No Life: Didn't like any of the characters. Characters were too OP and the fanservice, which is supposedly comedic didn't click for me.

- Zankyou No Terror: I can't really come up with an explanation of why I didn't like it tbh, I just...didn't

- Natsume Yuujinchou: So many people recommended this show to me. I tried liking the show - I really did - but I just couldn't. I liked the characters, but everything just went too slow for me. I guess I'm not really into the mellow, peaceful type of anime

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Dec 29, 2016 12:39 PM

Aug 2016
I remember when I couldn't get into Steins;Gate. It was so boring and still, after watching it, felt like I couldn't love it like everyone else.

Gurren Lagann too, mecha is so . . .
Dec 29, 2016 2:01 PM

Feb 2016
Cowboy bebop, everyone seems to worship it but I just can't get into it.
Mushishi, people compare it to natsume which I love but, I found it extremely boring and slow.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 29, 2016 4:36 PM
Jul 2018
two examples that come to mind are Akira and Roka No Yuusha. I know Akira is a movie, but i found it jumbled, with poor character development and awkward deviation in pacing.

Roka on the other hand was very interesting at the start with its action, but then became a large cluster of direction changes, and illogical setups. I just found it to be very artificial feeling, and the mystery aspect to be a bit ridiculous.
Dec 29, 2016 4:36 PM

Aug 2016
Kill la Kill

I watched 15 episodes casually and couldn't get into it.
But I'm gonna try again in hope I will get more enjoyment out of it the second time around.
Dec 29, 2016 5:14 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Attack on Titan always gets a lot of praise from people I know, but not me. Sure, the series is awesome, but I'm just not really that fond of it.

Same goes for Oregairu. Sometimes the character interactions are too confusing or they would just make me fall asleep. It does have some "feel good" moments but I won't deny that I've felt really bored from most of the episodes that I felt like they were a chore to watch.

For Puella Magi Madoka Magica, same reaction as Attack on Titan.

For the Monogatari series, I've only watched up to Nekomonogatari. Planning to watch the rest of them someday. However, with deep but fast-paced dialogue such as that, I mostly rewind the video to better understand the characters' cryptic dialogue.

I couldn't empathize with most of the characters in AnoHana. I watched through the entire show and I liked the final episode, but not enough of a tearjerker for me, tbh. :/

The anime that I've completely enjoyed where I never grow bored of watching them and have become my top favorites will always get a score of 10 from me. but all anime I listed above never made it. These 5 are brilliant in their own way, but not enough to grab my full interest in them.
Dec 29, 2016 5:42 PM
Oct 2016
That's how I feel about Re: Zero. Everyone said it was so awesome and Subaru "suffered" so much. But to me he was a boring character as well as Rem and Ram or whatever their names were. The whole "going back to fix things" genre is cool; Higurashi, Mirai Nikki, and others have proven that. But Re: Zero just didn't do it for me.
Dec 29, 2016 5:48 PM

Aug 2015
I think Sword Art Online is going to be on everyone's hit list.

But man, uh, I cannot watch Legend's of Galactic Heroes. I try watching even one episode and I just cannot bring myself to complete it.
#itsnomasterpiece #lies

jayhiei said:
That's how I feel about Re: Zero. Everyone said it was so awesome and Subaru "suffered" so much. But to me he was a boring character as well as Rem and Ram or whatever their names were. The whole "going back to fix things" genre is cool; Higurashi, Mirai Nikki, and others have proven that. But Re: Zero just didn't do it for me.

This too, he broke down after failing a small number of times. In addition to what you already have, Steins;Gate which is extremely successful (and made by the same studio) makes a whole story about it.

I'm still scratching my head over how Rem has acquired 10k favourites. Is it because everyone feels sorry for her in having poor taste in men?
NoobAsianDec 29, 2016 5:54 PM
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Dec 29, 2016 7:21 PM

Apr 2007
TTGL. Not sure where the story was trying to go and just too much fan service.
Dec 29, 2016 8:15 PM

Aug 2016
skinny_disaster said:
Controversial: I couldn't get into Cowboy Bebop at all even though I was told "You can't even say you watch anime if you haven't seen CB".
This.

Also, seeing as Gintama "doesn't get good until after the first few episodes," and I don't know how much better that is, I'm having trouble getting into it.
Dec 29, 2016 8:37 PM

Aug 2016
Re Zero most definitely. When watching it it was rather enjoyable but after taking a break episode 15 I realized that I didn't really care for any of the characters all that much other than the MC who I had very mixed feelings towards and that really eccentric villain that kills Rem, his name was Betelgeuse or something like that, he was fun. but other than those two the cast was largely forgettable to me. I may go back to rewatch it but for now I don't plan to.
Dec 29, 2016 8:42 PM
Mar 2015
Bakemonogatari: Like the poster above, I found it boring and the animation gratuitously 'look at me'

Naruto: found it kiddish, eye-rollingly silly at times, basically a poor man's HunterxHunter

Natsume Yuujinchou: Found it boring with no character development and little plot; also, the MC is a bit too good to be true - at one point, he dresses like a youkai [at a lot of peril to himself] and participates in a race of some sort so that he can win a prize for a random youkai

One Piece -> Found it silly. Between Usopp's bucketloads of tears and the inane Chop Chop villain, I soon had enough

Samurai Champloo -> irreverent, directionless, repetitive - Mugen (or was it JIn?) gets tempted by a seductress and drugged ... in two different episodes, all style no substance
Dec 29, 2016 9:38 PM
Feb 2014
The first thing that comes to my mind is Madoka Magica especially after finishing Raising Project and thinking it's the better magical girl anime.
Dec 29, 2016 9:48 PM
Jul 2018
Time to show off my hipsterism...

Well first of all: 5 centimeters per second but then I can't really bring myself to hate it because well.... there was nothing happening in this fucking movie at all.

Death Note... considering it's the most popular show on here and I value my life I shall just keep silent about that one. Didn't hate it that much tho.

actually I don't think there is any anime I truly detest and hate... no wait.

Zero no Tsukaima, I hate it, I hate the shit out of it but then it is not really that loved by many or anything.

Edit:

I'm saying those animes that while you could understand why people like them, you just can't seem to get into them.

Fuck, I haven't notice this part, well, death note is the only that stays relevant then..
removed-userDec 29, 2016 9:51 PM
Dec 29, 2016 10:04 PM

Apr 2014
Death Note:

I don't know why, but I just can't get into it. I know it has cool characters, a cool soundtrack, etc., but it's just the whole plot. I guess I don't like the idea of god complex characters (because to be honest they are really bratty and a nuisance).
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Dec 29, 2016 10:13 PM

Dec 2011
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya. I had to force myself to finish the first season and every episode I kept asking myself "Why am I still watching this crap?" The only episode that made me laugh was the one where they were filming the movie about the time-travelling battle waitress, everything else ranged from average to horrible. I heard the movie is better though, I certainly hope so.
Dec 29, 2016 10:15 PM
Dec 2016
Love Live Sunshine. Animation is bad, but not terrible. I dropped after one episode. Everything were fine, but this is just not my cup of tea.
Dec 30, 2016 1:10 AM

Apr 2016
I think there's lots, I think I'm resigned that I can be a pretty niche customer of Anime. Especially since I tend to be busy so don't watch much.

Everyone goes bonkers for Panty and Stocking and I'm just confused why. Attack on Titan wasn't for me, and neither was Death Note.

I think it's best to say that Anime isn't a genre, it's a medium, like TV Series with it's own Genres. And there are plenty of TV Series I love that others don't and visa-versa. That's what makes them diverse mediums as they can cater to a wide-audience now with hopefully something for everyone.
Dec 30, 2016 5:03 AM

Apr 2010
Death Note. It just screamed history lesson (we just learned about fasism in Europe in early 20th century)

Dec 30, 2016 5:38 AM

Jul 2015
I can't get into death note. I found a lot of the dialogue boring. Then there's that cast change half way through the series.
Dec 30, 2016 6:36 AM

Feb 2012
Shinsekai Yori: I actually liked the plot, but didn't care much for the characters. The pacing and the absolute lack of any climax at any point during the show killed it for me.

Boku no Hero Academia: I can somehow see the appeal, but to me this was by far one of the most boring shows I've watched this year. Topped only by Orange.

Bakemonogatari: The pretentious animation style just kills me. I want to give it another chance, I want to think that the plot might interest me and make me forget about the SHAFTness of this show, but I just find it so repulsive that it's hard to get over it.
Dec 30, 2016 7:03 AM

Dec 2014
Nodame Cantabile. Everyone loves it, but i just died of boredom.
Dec 30, 2016 7:45 AM

Apr 2016
angel beats
yuri on ice (i can barely stand straight bishounens)
re:zero (i'd love to watch this, but i'm afraid of the gory stuff)
shingeki no kyojin
ergo proxy
any hyped mecha animes

sometimes i feel really bad for not following these shows, but the heart wants what it wants, man
Dec 30, 2016 8:09 AM

Sep 2015
I didn't like No Game No Life. I got really bored watching that show
Dec 30, 2016 9:03 AM

Dec 2016
I actually didn't really like Kimi no Na Wa. I know a lot of people haven't watched it yet, but those who have clearly loved it. I can't say it was bad, it just wasn't a stunning masterpiece everyone is making it out to be (same goes for YOI, cough cough). I don't think it handled its own grandness well. If it were a simpler story, I'm sure I would have liked it much better. Or maybe if it were a series, not a movie. There is too much happening in those two hours, and the two main characters lack personality because their development was sacrificed in favor of a larger-than-life plot.
I know people call Shinkai "the next Miyazaki", and then there are those who say he's a great director in his own right, but I'd say that to be on par with Miyazaki, you have to create truly relatable, "real" characters. He said himself that "you need to create characters that could well exist in this world", and that you can only do this if you spend time watching real people. I think he brings this on whole new level, and that's what added magic to his works. His characters could literally sit and do nothing but talk for two hours straight and his movie would still have had that special charm of his. That's what Shinkai totally lacks, in my opinion.
I do recognize though that if people like it that much, it must've resonated with them. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think I'll be able to see it anyway.
Dec 30, 2016 10:10 AM

Aug 2013
One Piece.

I just hate the art. The big heads, hands, legs?

Dec 30, 2016 11:22 AM

Feb 2016
Chibi-Alice said:
Code Geass and Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Not a mecha fan....

Me too although I don't get the wrap around Kill La Kill either
I know why people love it I just cant get into it :/
Dec 30, 2016 11:27 AM

Feb 2012
One Piece. I can't get past the art and ridiculous silliness of it all.
Haruhi Suzumiya Series was meh. The movie, on the other hand, is great. The absence of that annoying girl was probably it.
Fate/Zero - Tried to watch it but couldn't get past that boring 10 minute monologue at the beginning. Or I did 9?) but none of the characters were interesting to me enough to want to keep watching all their drama. I think I stopped around some fight between the blonde chick and a guy in gold.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - this one I might give a second chance, but I dropped it around episode 3 because its gimmicky drama was boring/cringey to me.
VyudaliDec 30, 2016 11:32 AM
Dec 30, 2016 11:48 AM

Nov 2013
*Kill la Kill. Felt like it was trying to be TTGL 2 but forgot the reasons why I liked it.
*Gintama. Just not funny at all. Don't feel like watching 50 episodes of it in the event it might get good.
*Hunter x Hunter. Alright until CA, in which the pacing goes down the shitter and it just feels like they needed to hit an episode quota.
*Clannad. It's the embodiment of every single bad anime drama I've ever seen, from the flaccid characters and shitty melodrama. Afterstory was almost alright though.
*Madoka. Not bad but I couldn't escape the thought while watching that NGE did the same thing but is better in every way.
Dec 30, 2016 2:35 PM

Feb 2012
It was always Higurashi/When They Cry for me. I just couldn't get over the character design lol.
Pages (85) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 7 hours ago

10 by meyve »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 8 hours ago

16 by Maou_heika »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 9 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
3 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

8 by mshfqtny »»
6 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 5 hours ago

25 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.