Forum Settings
Forums

Animes you didn't expect to become your favorite until given a chance?

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2016 2:19 AM

Aug 2014
I would say Death Parade. Everything about it was just weird, the characters seemed boring, the concept was strange and the art was kinda awkward. Yet I loved every single minute of it!
Apr 11, 2016 2:30 AM
Nov 2008
I would have to say Gintama and Initial D for sure.
Apr 11, 2016 2:49 AM

Jan 2016
1) Natsume’s Book of Friends.

I thought it would be just central in Yokai like any other action supernatural anime but actually to be talking about life and the atmosphere is great. Turned up to be number 8 in my top 20.

"They come without asking, and then they leave just the same. But once you meet them, even if nobody ever knows it, that encounter will change your life for the better."
-Natsume Takashi-

2) Mushishi

I thought the slow pace will bore me but turned up dragging me to keep watching the next episode until finished. And the art is fantastic and thorough, intriguing atmosphere with natural elements. It’s in my ‘forever list’ anime.

"Just live normally. You'll be better off if you can catch some fish. Dig up the caves so you can set sail whenever you need to. It wouldn't be easy. But you have an endless amount of time ahead of you."
-Ginko-
Apr 11, 2016 2:50 AM

Mar 2016
K Project- My friend pushed me forever to make me watch it. But when i finished the first episode, it became one of my favorite series
Apr 11, 2016 2:57 AM

Dec 2015
Haikyuu - its a sports anine that is not my type because its kinda boring. But I did giving it a try and it looks great that I expected.
Apr 11, 2016 3:00 AM

Apr 2015
Gintama: How could one expect it to get good after watching those first 10-20 episodes?

Code Geass: Always hated Mecha and thought Code Geass was just another Mecha.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2016 3:20 AM

Mar 2016
Attack on Titan I thought it wouldn't be intresting for me but when I tried I totally got hooked.
Apr 11, 2016 3:42 AM

Oct 2014
Naruto (Shippuuden): Didn't expect to like it 'cause it's so popular and it seemed really childish and waaay too long, but it actually became one of my favorite shows. I completely understand why many people dislike it though.
Osomatsu-san: Seemed kinda shitty to me because of the artstyle, but it ended up becoming my favorite comedy anime.
Apr 11, 2016 3:47 AM

Jul 2015
Code Geass: dont like mecha anime at all. and thought the beginning was weird at first. also the character design with the long legs were weird at first.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Apr 11, 2016 3:57 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
I guess most of mine would fall into the category, but the prominent ones would be:
-Grisaia no Kajitsu
I went into it not knowing anything about it, other than it was based off of a visual novel, and it hooked me from start to finish and became my most rewatched series. I even checked out the visual novel and that became my favourite of all time with my main waifu being Michiru.

-Highschool of the Dead
Aside from the extreme amounts of fanservice the show has, I enjoyed this show a lot. The art and animation is sublime and the soundtrack is amazing. Zombies act like they should in this. Just a shame it will never get an actual ending or continuation.

-Persona 4
I'll just preface this by saying I've never played a Persona game, but that didn't stop me from watching the show. I loved every moment of it; art is simply outstanding and the soundtrack highly fitting for its flashy action sequences.

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Apr 11, 2016 5:07 AM
Apr 2016
shokugeki no souma, one punch man and noragami.
first of all, i tend to avoid everything ecchi related so i was really unsure to watch or not SNS and its 1st episode wasn't of much help but for some reason i decided to stick up with it and voila, i can't wait for its 2nd season.
i'm not a big fan of shounen either, and started OPM and noragami when i was at loss of anything else to watch and i'm really happy i did because as stupid as both MCs are, i love them all the same lol
Apr 11, 2016 5:13 AM

Feb 2015
Tatami Galaxy- dropped because of the fast dialogues and weird atmosphere
Aku No Hana- I couldn't get over the artstyle and it was to cringy in some situation

Not my favourites but 9/10 for both of them
Check out My List here

(Censored) said:
I have no clue what The Devil is a Part-timer. But I'm guessing it has to do with a devil, being a part timer. xd
You can watch Hataraku Maou-Sama!
It's about the devil Satan, who is a part timer in Mcdonald...

YEP
Apr 11, 2016 5:29 AM

Feb 2016
mahou shoujo madoka magica: i thought it just only about cute girls playing fun against monster with warm colorful animation. but the plot twist, mystery, and tragedy it's so damn good.

mitsudomoe : the story about 6th grader at the elementary school. i thought it something about CGDCT (cute girl doing cute things). but it's totally different. the MC are cute loli, but they doing a freak things. that makes this anime so pretty hilarious

Jun 19, 2016 7:34 AM

Nov 2015
@MiziTami @Hikari-Shiki @Mezeru
Mine would be Code Geass...Wbu guys?
Jun 19, 2016 8:32 AM

Mar 2016
Maybe cromartie highschool & detroit metal city

Almost drop both of them , but after watch the next episode somehow it's too damn hilarious

Now both of them are my favourite
Jun 19, 2016 8:46 AM
Aug 2014
Texhnolyze for sure.

Made such a huge U-turn which broke it into my top five.
Jun 19, 2016 1:40 PM

Aug 2007
One Piece. I had avoided this anime for years, I've always heard people raving about it but I wasn't a big fan of pirates and Luffy could've have looked more silly to me, plus the series was really long too.

Now I love silly Luffy more than ever and One Piece is one of my favourite Shounen series. I love its humour, the characters: how diverse they are, the different shades of grey and how each Straw Hat has their own goal and brings something different to the table. I love that the female Straw Hats aren't useless or love sick over some guy, that's refreshing. It's truly an adventure.
Jun 20, 2016 4:58 AM

Jun 2016
Onmyou taisenki - the adventure I had to go through to even finish this anime is one for the books. When I first saw it way back in 2006, I only caught 3 episodes at the end of the series raw(episode 50, 51, and 52). I had no idea what was going on but I knew even though that was the end that I wanted to watch that series again. Fast forward to a year later in 2007. I find a site that had 28 episodes on board. But the quality was very poor and by episode 28 the quality got so poor that any major movement would just lag the entire video. Once again I didn't give up on seeing this anime because even though it took a while to hop back on board I still managed to do so. Fast forward again to 2013, found all the episodes watched them all and was glad I did it <3 It may not be the most well known anime in the world but I'm so glad I finally got to see the series, finish and enjoy it. Unfortunately due to the fact it's not licensed in the US I will probably never own it or have any means to. But I'm still glad to call this series one of my favorites.
Jun 20, 2016 5:19 AM

Jul 2015
well. basically all of them. because i watched them without knowing what they are about or how good they are
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Jun 20, 2016 5:33 AM
Sep 2015
Naruto/Naruto Shippuden i used to think that it was overrated and not good before even watching it but it ended up becoming my most favorite anime.
Jun 20, 2016 7:04 AM
Feb 2015
Berserk

When I first started watching it, I heard about how there was a lot of gore and rape, making it very graphic and that the main character Guts was such a badass. After watching the first episode, I thought it was about some brawlic guy with a big sword that fights monsters on a daily basis, (well it kinda is with the exception of the Golden Age arc πŸ˜‚) But it's way more than that, it's got great main characters, a masterpiece of a story, along with good foreshadowing and a great plot. I love Berserk to death.
"While many can pursue their dreams in solitude, other dreams are like great storms blowing hundreds, even thousands of dreams apart in their wake. Dreams breathe life into men and can cage them in suffering. Men live and die by their dreams. But long after they have been abandoned they still smolder deep in men's hearts. Some see nothing more than life and death. They are dead, for they have no dreams."
-Griffith, Berserk
Jun 20, 2016 7:13 AM
Jan 2016
parasyte :- I was keep on clicking the random button on a particular website and it was keep on showing me the parasyte .But i didn't like the cover pic and the description was not so good so kept ingoring it .But after few months i didn't have anything to watch so i give it a try and i was amazed .
Jun 20, 2016 8:30 AM

Jul 2014
Claymore.

I swear I watched that thing when I was 12 or sth and well, let's just say it creeped me out pretty badly back then. After giving it a shot, though, I finally realized that it was one of the best decisions of my life. I didn't know I was such a big fan of gore until I watched it either lol.
Doctors want to check me
Poke me and dissect me
What do they expect?
Feelings from a wind-up toy?
I don't think so

Jun 20, 2016 8:45 AM

Jun 2014
For me it's definitely Durarara!!. I can't recall what I was thinking about it before even seeing many other series, but I know I stumbled upon the name and/or characters sometimes, when I searched for different things. Later on, when I became immersed with watching tons of various anime, I guess they were starting to get boring, so I looked at it again. I was also attracted by the main cast, so I decided to watch it and was amazed by how eerie yet solid the story was.

I guess that's also the kind of relationship I have with Osomatsu-san - I may have stumbled upon the anime's main page once or twice, but I gave in to @Mayuka 's bait and thanks to that, it has become another one of my favorites.
Jun 20, 2016 9:20 AM
Mar 2016
That's how I felt about Kimi ni Todoke. All the tropes in shoujo romances really irritated me and I hadn't seen anything that I liked in those genres since Toradora two years earlier. Aside from the characters being socially retarded most of the time, season one turned out to be fantastic and it's one of my favorite anime, now. Season two screws you over as a viewer tho :(
Jun 20, 2016 9:28 AM
Jan 2016
@MiziTami @Hikari-Shiki @KiriZama

Mine would be "Bleach" . I avoided Bleach for a long time because my friends told me that it has a lot of fillers & it has some 366 Episodes. For Some reason I have always avoided long animes with fillers , ya and that's the reason I haven't watched "Naruto Shippuden" yet. But, I gave it a try and I was not disappointed a bit.

MezeruJun 20, 2016 9:38 AM
Jun 20, 2016 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
@Mezeru @KiriZama

Interesting. Without a second thought, Charlotte comes to mind. Everyone, and I am saying everyone said that it was a total trainwreck; sort of like SAO where they wasted potential.

And also Kiri & @Hikari-shiki said that it was 'OK'. But then I watched it during SA2 at deadnights and the rest is history. Will never forget the feeling I got while watching episdoes 6-13 in one go.<3
Jun 20, 2016 5:52 PM

Jun 2014
Trigun. At first I thought it was kinda boring and did not see why people thought it was good. I started to like it after the slow start. Oh, and the art is not that impressive.
Jun 20, 2016 5:56 PM

Jul 2015
Hunter x Hunter 2011, I didn't think I would like it, (Looked Childish and not for me at first) boy I was wrong
Sup...
Jun 20, 2016 6:09 PM

Sep 2014
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi:
Only gave it a go originally because a friend of mine with completely opposite taste called it the worst most boring anime he'd ever seen :D Checked out the premise after that and decided to watch. Loved it.

Zetsuen no Tempest:
My first not exclusively action/comedy show. Was still convinced at that stage that anime was just for the luls.

Shakugan no Shana 3:
I'd been told I would like it but season 2 was awful so was very doubtful.

Spice and Wolf....Nope called this one :D

Jun 20, 2016 6:41 PM

Apr 2015
Definitely Shigofumi. Horror's never been my favorite genre, and I wasn't going off any great reviews or anything...I just thought the OP sounded cool.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 20, 2016 7:15 PM

Jan 2016
I would say Death Parade and Cowboy Bebop, Bebop because it's so much older than anime I'm used to and longer but it grew on me after awhile and while it wouldn't be in my top 10 or anything I enjoy it. Death Parade just came across as boring at first from previews ect. so it was on hold a long time then I was hooked after the 3rd episode and the ending definitely earned it a spot in my favorites.
The Prince Is Awake, Your Sh*t Is Wrecked
Jun 20, 2016 7:18 PM

Jul 2015
Hajime No Ippo - I've really never been big on sports, let alone sports anime, and usually drop them relatively quickly. I'd heard of this series, and great things about it as well, but never was interested in watching it. But found a fight online and thought it was cool, and decided to give the series a try. Now it's one of my current favourites, and I think I think it's excellent, with lovable characters, engaging fights, and good protagonist.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - I had heard of this anime, a lot, and all the praise and love it seemed to receive. But, I shoved it off, thinking it would be just another typical magical girl anime. A year or so later, I saw it on Netflix and decided to give it a shot. At first, I was really bored, but ended up loving it. It's now a favourite.

Is This a Zombie? - It's a harem anime, so I didn't really have night exceptions. I decided to give to a try after seeing a YouTube reviewer praise the show, and actually make it sound interesting. But my expectations weren't high. This shows hilarious, I love the characters and situations they get into.
Jun 20, 2016 7:18 PM

Jan 2016
WrongPriest said:
RWBY, I put it off for ages and then finally starting watching it just so I could bag on a friend of mine that enjoyed it.

Now I spend my days crying myself to sleep and climbing mountains of fanart.
xD I watched the first 2-3 episodes (cant remember) and haven't came back to it yet, it's that good? I did enjoy the first few episodes somewhat so I'd be willing to go back and give it a shot again.
The Prince Is Awake, Your Sh*t Is Wrecked
Jun 20, 2016 7:50 PM

May 2014
oOXeonOo said:
WrongPriest said:
RWBY, I put it off for ages and then finally starting watching it just so I could bag on a friend of mine that enjoyed it.

Now I spend my days crying myself to sleep and climbing mountains of fanart.
xD I watched the first 2-3 episodes (cant remember) and haven't came back to it yet, it's that good? I did enjoy the first few episodes somewhat so I'd be willing to go back and give it a shot again.

I'd say so, episodes are short so it doesn't take too long to get through.

Old mate Monty (rest his soul) didn't get to finish all the animation for Volume 3 so it takes a pretty big hit in some scenes, but it get's somewhere special by the end.

Looking forward to more.
Jun 20, 2016 7:56 PM

Jun 2015
Durarara
Shin Sekai Yori
Yuri Kuma Arashi
Gatchaman Crowds
The Irregular at Magic High School
A certain Magical Index/Scientific Railgun
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
Classroom Crisis
Grimgar season 2 please!!!!
Jun 20, 2016 7:59 PM

Mar 2016
I thought Highschool of the Dead looked overrated, but watched it when it hit Netflix and was very pleased. I also didn't have an interest in Nadia till its Blu Ray release.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 20, 2016 8:37 PM
Apr 2016
I heard a lot of negatives about Hai to Gensou no Grimgar and that kind of anime wasn't exactly my style but I loved it.It became better and better progressively.
Jun 20, 2016 8:54 PM

Apr 2016
Mine would have to be Haikyuu!! I thought I wouldn't enjoy it as I normally don't enjoy anything sports related, but the comedy made me stay & I'm really enjoying it so far.
Jun 20, 2016 9:19 PM

Apr 2016
i thought ore monogatari would be about some dumb fat perverted loser trying to get cute girls that's like way out of his league. now even i want to have gouda takeo as my boyfriend.
Jun 21, 2016 5:13 AM

Sep 2012
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Not because of its age like many people, but because I've never, EVER been into space fiction at all. Turns out LOGH was more about politics which happens to be much more up my alley, so it ended up quite high in my favorites.
Jun 21, 2016 5:16 AM

Aug 2013
Steins;Gate. The first episodes were boring as hell and I remember dropping it. But a friend watched it, started to talk crazy about it so I decided to give it a chance and I fucking loved it.
Same happened with Bakemonogatari. I dropped it because it was really weird and dialogue-heavy, but mi ex-girlfriend insisted A LOT on me to give it another chance, and well, now Monogatari is one my favourite franchises and Senjougahara is my favourite female character in any media.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2016 5:24 AM

Jul 2015
Mawaru Penguindrum. I thought I was gonna absolutely despise it, but... apparently not lol
At first I also didn't like OHSHC. It was so cringeworthy. But after sticking with it for a few episodes, I ended up finding its ridiculousness hilarious.
Oh, and Gunslinger Girl. I was NOT expecting the show to be like it actually was.
Jun 21, 2016 5:28 AM

Feb 2015
Fairy Tail, because I thought it was just another generic battle shounen that was going to start sucking after the first arc or two like Naruto and Bleach. Not saying it's not generic - it very much is, but in good ways and avoids many of the things that I dislike about long battle shounen in general.

Seto no Hanayome, because it seemed like it was going to be a boring romance show at the start, but then quickly learned it's nothing like that.

Not really a favourite, but still one that I consider one of the better anime I've watched, Hajime no Ippo. I don't care at all about boxing or sports, but my friend convinced me to watch it and I ended up liking it very much.
Jun 21, 2016 1:54 PM

Aug 2011
Gintama: I thought Gintama was just going to be another failure of an anime that tried to be funny and then would give me fanservice because that's the only way most anime can be funny for hundreds of episodes. I was very wrong. Very very very wrong. I have had a spectacular ride with Gintama. It has made me laugh my ass off so much. The funniest anime I have watched in my life.

One Piece: I dropped One Piece at like episode 70 or something. I was really bored and it was moving pretty slow. A year later I watched it again and caught up to the Marineford arc (Which was the current arc in the anime at the time). I was so hooked on this show that I couldn't stop watching. I believe One Piece has the best world building.

Hunter x Hunter: I thought Hunter x Hunter was going to be some kind of happy-go-lucky anime about an innocent kid who wants to go on an adventure and fight bad guys. Little did I know that "happy-go-lucky" show would become a seinen disguised as a shounen and have one of the most detailed narratives I've seen in anime.

Kuroko no Basket: I used to refuse to watch sports anime, but then I watched Haikyuu and I loved it. I decided to give Kuroko no Basket a chance and found it better than Haikyuu. I was thinking at first "Oh great...basketball superpowers, lazer beams and shit" But I found it really enjoyable and it followed the rules of basketball. It's just overexaggerated with all the moves, like with Kuroko's tap passing.

Code Geass: I used to hate all mecha anime because I thought giant robots fighting were boring. Gundam was the only thing I found somewhat enjoyable, but then I watched Code Geass. Now that was great.
Jun 21, 2016 2:03 PM

Dec 2014
Natsume Yujinchou. First season didn't do much for me. I kind of just coasted along and until the second season, I really started to adjust to the atmosphere and setting of the show. Just let the relaxing tone of the show ease your emotions after a hard day. Grow closer to the characters each episode.
Jun 21, 2016 2:10 PM

Aug 2015
Xarvyn said:

Code Geass: I used to hate all mecha anime because I thought giant robots fighting were boring. Gundam was the only thing I found somewhat enjoyable, but then I watched Code Geass. Now that was great.

Pretty much this. Avoided mecha for a long time without giving it a real chance.
Jun 21, 2016 2:18 PM
Jul 2018
I found Mawaru Penguindrum dull, un-entertaining, and confusing at first episode. But each episode after that I slowly grew to love it.

I thought Ouran HSHC was gonna be a generic reverse harem at first, but it's actually great.
Jun 21, 2016 2:21 PM

Apr 2013
Jojo, the dialogues and fighting scenes are so over the top, in a good way
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jun 21, 2016 2:26 PM

Dec 2015
Psycho Pass because I took a break at the time it was airing and started just to watch other stuff the 1-2 seasons later that was airing then and ignoring the seasons I skipped. I think Guilty Crown (not in my favorites but it was okay ... not that bad as haters say) was also affected by that.

Really thought Psycho Pass would be another one of those hyped overrated showas until I gave it a try.

And Madoka which I watched only years later. Did not think that studio could produce something that good - they only animate boring source material most of the time.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Visual Novels β€” General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Yesterday

50 by Shizuna »»
12 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 7 hours ago

22 by GoddessLove »»
18 minutes ago

» What are you watching right now??

Nashiro18 - Apr 21

44 by ProGoddess »»
18 minutes ago

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 54 minutes ago

9 by Otakupervert890 »»
21 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

27 by Ratris_Decision »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.