Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Erased
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Mar 11, 2016 5:18 AM
Mar 2015
BLmatsu said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Seconded cause it's 100% true.
Very well worded, @turtletim. I agree as well.

Well, I'm glad to see that there are people on MAL with tastes and that aren't easily fooled by hype.
Mar 11, 2016 5:23 AM

Mar 2016
I need to see yashiro-sensei die.BTW because the red eye,like a pure evil men
Mar 11, 2016 5:36 AM

Jul 2015
Since most people say now "omg, that was sooo obvious" - maybe that's exactly the way they wanted it to be... to make you think that the teacher is too obvious in his actions, so the culprit is someone else. One of my friend even suggested, there could be more than one killer. Possible? Possible.

And I'm pretty sure, that if the kidnaper was, for example, somehow related to Kenya I'd hear probably the same "too obvious, Kenya's too perceptive for a kid" or sth like that. The series is not finished, so they have still 2 eps left to prove it's a decent anime
Mar 11, 2016 5:44 AM

Feb 2008
The episode did feel a bit rushed, however, the manner in which the killer's identity was revealed certainly was fitting.
Mar 11, 2016 5:58 AM

Jul 2015
Turtletim said:
BLmatsu said:
Very well worded, @turtletim. I agree as well.

Well, I'm glad to see that there are people on MAL with tastes and that aren't easily fooled by hype.

I agree with this too hype is one of the many epitomes wrong with the community

There's nothing wrong with being excited for a show, the real problems come when it recieves more hype than it deserves. People who hype the show up too much make it seem like it will be amazing but in turn some fails to live up to that hype. Fans can't call people out when others don't enjoy it as much because they are the ones who hyped the show up to be something amazing
terminador_2397Mar 11, 2016 6:07 AM
Mar 11, 2016 5:59 AM

Oct 2015
I saw this episode last night and all i could think was OH MAN ITS GOING DOWN!

First off i want to say i haven't read the manga (planning to once the anime finishes) so I'm saying this strictly from an anime viewers perspective. I don't think this episode was that rushed, i do feel that the other 2 girls had their sections rushed throughout the show though since the entire first half of the show was focused on Kayo and her story.

Any who back to the episode, It was pretty obvious it was the teacher from long ago, the signs were all there. Heck i remember reading that they show who it is in the freakin opening of the show if you pause it at the right times (when the screen turns red & when the bullet breaks the glass) but i never did just in case it wasn't who i thought it was. Also I knew that seat belt was going to be trouble... and i loved the foreshadowing done with the traffic light.

Now i have to sit anxiously for a week till the next episode...i hope they dont rush the last 2 too badly though a bit is expected.
Mar 11, 2016 6:00 AM

Nov 2012
I quite enjoyed the episode but kind of felt a bit let down since I guessed the culprit correctly and he was kind of fishy from quite a while back. Good episode though.

Mar 11, 2016 6:00 AM

May 2009
Well, the obvious happened. But still, a grappling experience watching this show. Having fun with every moment.
But man is the protagonist dense sometimes. I suspect that when he comes back in time, his brain actually devolves to that of a child. That's why he makes such childish mistakes.
Mar 11, 2016 6:09 AM

May 2010
Aya is pretty cute, would like to see more of her. And I'm glad the others are part of the mission, too, now. Was feeling bad for them.

Ahh, Satoru stop. You are talking to the killer...

As much as I loved this episode, and despite how sad the ending was, I feel somewhat dissatisfied. I feel like the show strayed a little on its path (?) I thought it was supposed to be about Kayo and her views about "the city where only she's missing" I thought she'd stick around till the end. Or maybe she could return the favor in one way or another. I don't know (Maybe I was expecting too much, and that's probably it-- I expected it to take the path I wanted it to) She eventually found a place that's far from Satoru, but she is most likely doing well. Then again, Satoru also said these words once in the 1st or 2nd episode i.e. "the city where only I don't exist" So, maybe it was a death flag all along.

Gah, I don't know. I still wanna know more about Yashiro, he's an interesting villain. Hope they explain in the next episode. Also, hopefully Satoru can have one last revival, and does something to reveal the teacher's true identity so that it ends up more satisfying.
Mar 11, 2016 6:10 AM

Jul 2013
Hijazi said:
... cause Satoru had seen the killer's face right before coming to this timeline. So if it really was the teacher then why was Satoru not cautious of him all this while? His name was even listed in the suspects list.

Exactly my thoughts. Why was he so suprised, when he has seen his face? I started suspecting him since the second episode, but still I can't even think of a cause for his doing (he's working as a teacher in elementary school), so I'm looking forward to finding out why.

And also, about the revival, maybe it's all just in Satoru's head. Maybe the fact that he couldn't save any of the victims while they were next to him the whole time destroyed his life in a way in which he constantly repeated what happened and what could have happened. This is just a speculation, but since this is a psychological anime, it could end in a similar way.
Shimai_niMar 11, 2016 6:19 AM
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Mar 11, 2016 6:18 AM

Dec 2015
It was pretty good, the episode ends sadly where I thought it would instead of starting to show the professor's background story.
I doubt we will see a lot of it in the next episodes, since there are almost 2 volumes to cram in.

Comic_Sans said:
Might as well just call it "Obvious answer is obvious – The Animation"

(And yes I am aware of the fact that you're supposed to wonder "why" instead of "who" but still)

The anime had absolutely no subtlety in how they pointed out the culprit-to-be almost since his first scenes, the manga was not as heavy as the directorial choices around that. (but the direction is pretty great in all other things)
I read a few hours ago an article praising the director work in this adaptation and I can't disagree with it but the writer went to the extent of including this red eyes obsession as something nice and I sincerely can't see why. Am I alone to dislike those red eyes present in the animation?
Mar 11, 2016 6:24 AM

Nov 2014
Verumir said:
aikaflip said:
I didn't really like how cartoonishly evil Sensei looked when he confessed to being the killer. Aside from that, it was a predictable but great episode. The suspense was built up well.

What do you think you are watching?

A cartoon, obviously. By "cartoonishly" I meant overly. When the characters turn "evil" in this series, their squint their eyes and smirk. It looks a little silly compared to how naturalistic everything else is played out.
Mar 11, 2016 6:30 AM

Nov 2011
Well, that was lame. Who actually think this deserve to be in top 10? I have no idea what good taste is.

Mar 11, 2016 6:31 AM

Sep 2014
Lmfao. The Anime just continues to become shittier with each episode. This is hilarious. I still find it hard to believe people call this masterful writing. It's quite obvious that the MC'll live via time reset or is saved and falls into a coma. Definitely gonna have a trashy ending too. Quite fitting for an Anime like this. ^_^
Mar 11, 2016 6:42 AM

Jan 2016
I already suspected the teacher, but when it took force for Satoru to buckle his seatbelt that was an obvious giveaway. Also the teacher was wearing black gloves.
Mar 11, 2016 7:02 AM

Jun 2012
bigbusiness said:
Actually, I have another thought here guys, but bare with me.

Could the teacher actually be Sataru?

They looks pretty similar. Both wear glasses (older Sataru wears glasses). Given that the intro has Sataru getting shot, is it possible (although it may be a slim one), that Sataru is trying to kill himself in order to prevent the death of his mother (some sort of dilemma in the timeline).

That could explain why the teacher had affection for Sataru's mom during episode 9. Maybe he really loves his mother dearly, but at some point in time decided to become a killer?

Sure, this would be a longshot, but if written well enough, I could get on board with an ending like this, and it seems somewhat plausible given Sataru's line "I can see your future" this episode.

It would also explain the title of the anime. Sataru is attempting to "Erase" himself from existence.

Holy shit, you people love to throw crazy plot twists around. Your theory leaves a shit ton of plot holes behind, how could Satoru with 11 yrs old and 29 yrs old coehxist at the same time as himself as a Teacher (like 15-20 years old than himslef) and as a Politician (again, older than himself). Also, Satoru's mom doesn't look like so much older than the teacher. I'd rather not follow this kind of theory because it makes no sense at all.
Mar 11, 2016 7:09 AM

Oct 2015
aikaflip said:
I didn't really like how cartoonishly overly evil Sensei looked when he confessed to being the killer. Aside from that, it was a predictable but great episode. The suspense was built up well.

Ya it was a good episode. I kinda suspected it was the teacher. The cliffhanger at the end though. Will Satoru die? The title is ominous(The town without me).

Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don’t care.
Mar 11, 2016 7:11 AM
Nov 2010
LightBladeNova said:
Sourire said:
people still not realizing that the point of the show is not to make you wonder "who did it" but instead "why did he do it"

there's no way the last 2 episodes aren't extremely rushed..

Focusing on the "why" is not an excuse for writing such a poorly executed mystery in general, imo. A good mystery should excel at both aspects, the "who" and the "why" (and the "how", and the red herrings and clues and foreshadowing and stuff like that). Erased doesn't get a pardon just because it's supposed to be a godly anime as deemed by the masses. It was just far too blatant with the "who" and that shouldn't be something to just ignore and say "Oh, who cares about that", given that this anime is labeled a mystery.

I agree with you that the "who" and the "why" are fundamental aspect of a mystery but there are different ways to do mystery. Erased is maybe a little too obvious for mystery fans and I think that it is aimed at the general public so even the most simple-minded viewer can find out the culprit. I must admit that I prefer a simple mystery like the one in Erased to a tricky or dishonest mystery where the author use story-telling techniques to fool the audience just for the sake of it. Complex mystery are intellectually challenging and are the most enjoyable for true mystery fan but can be confusing for the general public, the perfect balance is hard to achieve.

With that said I think the clues were a bit too straightfoward all of them leading to the same culprit. A few scene could make us think that yuki was after all the culprit but not enough of them to make us doubt him as he is labelled too strongly innocent. Having another potential culprit could have added suspense , I think.

As for the label mystery, even if it's a simple one, it still fit in the general description as label are more than often innacurate at some point and only gives a general idea of the plot. ( when I think about all those animes labelled seinen and their actual content I've lost faith in label )
Mar 11, 2016 7:16 AM

Aug 2013
This episode ends with a cliffhanger of satoru drowning, But since it’s not the last episode so the protagonist is definitely not going to die. There is either going to be a bullshit time reset once again, or he is going to be plot armored and survive because, well, the show hasn't ended yet and plot convenience.
Mar 11, 2016 7:31 AM
Oct 2013
FarrelSal said:
This episode ends with a cliffhanger of satoru drowning, But since it’s not the last episode so the protagonist is definitely not going to die. There is either going to be a bullshit time reset once again, or he is going to be plot armored and survive because, well, the show hasn't ended yet and plot convenience.

It's not really impossible to survive from that though. And from what I know, he would receive an injury afterwards thus the title.
Mar 11, 2016 7:40 AM

Aug 2013
SigOpram said:
FarrelSal said:

It's not really impossible to survive from that though. And from what I know, he would receive an injury afterwards thus the title.

It is indeed not impossible to get out from that situation, The protagonist could just slip out of a jammed seat belt, which is something even an adult can do. But judging from the show, they are mostlikely going to pull an asspull instead of that.
Mar 11, 2016 7:45 AM
Jan 2015
Great, I love with this episode, well i dislike teacher's eye however i hope this anime will be top 10 now i confused with kayo's condition ._. any spoiler for next ep?
Mar 11, 2016 7:51 AM

Dec 2012
I fucking knew it!

Mar 11, 2016 7:52 AM

Feb 2014
Wow, a lot of reveals this episode.

I think Satoru should have taken the list of suspects more seriously. Of course you become skeptic if your mothers name is on the list too, but he should have taken everything into consideration.

About the reveal: I liked it. I thought it was well executed. But.. I think most of us disregarded Yashiro because there were almost too many obvious things and clues. I thought that this was intentional and that the author wanted to confuse us or make us very suspicious.

So if you either thought:

Yashiro was the kidnapper because of all the clues

or

that he wasn't since there were so many things pointing at him, like a neon sign

I'd say you're disappointed.

The identity of the kidnapper is the main focus point of this show, and it wasn't an ༼ ⨀ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿⨀ ̿༽ง moment for me at all.
Mar 11, 2016 7:52 AM

Nov 2015
Another good episode and, as expected, the teacher is the kidnapper.
Mar 11, 2016 8:30 AM

Jul 2015
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa???!!!!

Ok, I was afraid he is the kidnapper but Satoru ignored him as a suspect? Unbelievable.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 11, 2016 8:35 AM

Oct 2015
As was expected, teacher turned out to be the killer. With that evil grim, he looked like some bond villain , lol. Overall the episode was OK . If the killer wouldn't be so dam obvious, this episode would be a huge one, with the reveal and stuff. Obviously Satoru is going to survive, but i wonder how. Still with 2 episodes left , i got the feeling that the ending will feel a bit of rushed.
gvelionMar 11, 2016 8:38 AM

Mar 11, 2016 8:35 AM

May 2013
Heartman said:
Not to make it sound like an echo chamber here, but I would have liked it if there was more effort put in to maintain a larger suspect pool. The lack of focus on possible alternatives such as Yuuki's father and the co-worker made guessing the killer incredibly easy. That said, the subtle signs leading up to the reveal such as the jammed seatbelt and sensei's dialogue and body language were effective and the tunnel transition was chilling. Its just a shame that the reveal lost a lot of its impact because everyone basically knew who the killer was.

If it was to make it so obvious they could just showed the teacher was the killer all the time and build suspension moments based off that, otherwise it just feels like a cheap trick.
Mar 11, 2016 8:46 AM

May 2015
Rei366 said:
It was pretty good, the episode ends sadly where I thought it would instead of starting to show the professor's background story.
I doubt we will see a lot of it in the next episodes, since there are almost 2 volumes to cram in.

Comic_Sans said:

(And yes I am aware of the fact that you're supposed to wonder "why" instead of "who" but still)

The anime had absolutely no subtlety in how they pointed out the culprit-to-be almost since his first scenes, the manga was not as heavy as the directorial choices around that. (but the direction is pretty great in all other things)
I read a few hours ago an article praising the director work in this adaptation and I can't disagree with it but the writer went to the extent of including this red eyes obsession as something nice and I sincerely can't see why. Am I alone to dislike those red eyes present in the animation?
I think the red eyes were a trick used to throw some suspicion on other characters without changing the story, I didn't mind them that much until this episode. Why the teacher had no red eyes in this episode? At least be consistent.

The lack of subtlety is present in the manga too but it is less evident because has some more material especially cap 1-6 compared to ep 1.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2016 8:52 AM

Jul 2015
Whelp, I was already certain this would become a trainwreck since episode 5, no surprises here.
Mar 11, 2016 9:11 AM

Aug 2014
It's kind of ironic that Satoru saved all the previous murder victims but ultimately became one himself. But seriously, the pacing went super fast this episode. I kind of wish the teacher wasn't the killer. He was so nice up until that car scene.

On a lighter toned note, seeing Kenya sweating bullets is a new one for me ^^ I think that's the first time he's lost his cool and to Aya no less.

Wouldn't this create a time paradox? If Satoru dies in the past what will happen to his future? Of course I'm jumping the gun, Satoru could still be alive via the 'saved at the last second' cliché

Moon           Lovers
                  
Rainbow                For You                Bluebird

Mar 11, 2016 9:27 AM

Oct 2013
I readed a lot of comments now, and I often read that the self reveal of the teacher was cartoonish.

Can someone tell me how this is cartoonish? It's an anime
Mar 11, 2016 9:29 AM

Aug 2014
Diwo said:
I readed a lot of comments now, and I often read that the self reveal of the teacher was cartoonish.

Maybe it was the way Yashiro was smiling? To be honest his reveal smile may have been a bit exaggerated to emphasize how 'evil' he is.

Moon           Lovers
                  
Rainbow                For You                Bluebird

Mar 11, 2016 9:34 AM

Oct 2013
MoonlightReverie said:
Diwo said:

Maybe it was the way Yashiro was smiling? To be honest his reveal smile may have been a bit exaggerated to emphasize how 'evil' he is.

Hehe; it reminds me a bit of Aizen Sousuke (the main antagonist in Bleach) but for me it really was never cartoonish
Mar 11, 2016 9:37 AM

Oct 2014
Kinda saw this coming, especially after last week's episode. The scene with the lollipops was just really suspicious. Can't wait to see what happens in the next episode.
Mar 11, 2016 9:43 AM

Jan 2014
Kittens-kun said:
PaperCutAssassin said:

Considering it's a mystery... I'd say yes
There's only two episodes left. You people are acting like it's been obvious the entire time...
People have been repeatedly calling the teacher since episode 3, so yeah, for some users it's been obvious the entire time.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Mar 11, 2016 9:45 AM

Jan 2016
Satoru is the only one who's surprised lol
マジ Saitama 殴り
Mar 11, 2016 9:48 AM

May 2013
best cliff hanger of the season hahaha
Mar 11, 2016 10:19 AM

Jan 2014
jTiKey said:
Boku dake ga Shit Mystery
Mystery Dake ga Inai Machi
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Mar 11, 2016 10:19 AM

Oct 2015
terminador_2397 said:
Turtletim said:

There's nothing wrong with being excited for a show, the real problems come when it recieves more hype than it deserves. People who hype the show up too much make it seem like it will be amazing but in turn some fails to live up to that hype. Fans can't call people out when others don't enjoy it as much because they are the ones who hyped the show up to be something amazing

Same happened to me with SnK. During it's run , that show was so hyped, as ,, the best thing '' ever, so when i picked it up , i had very high expectations and was left disappointed. I didn't hate it or anything, but certainly i would've enjoyed it more.

Mar 11, 2016 10:20 AM

May 2014
FarrelSal said:

Even though you're right, you could have at least credited the snob or something.
Mar 11, 2016 10:24 AM

Dec 2015
zal said:
The lack of subtlety is present in the manga too but it is less evident because has some more material especially cap 1-6 compared to ep 1.

Thanks for being more precise than me. ^^

MoonlightReverie said:
Diwo said:

Check the "grim" smile in the manga, it's even more exaggerated.

While I'm back here, I just noticed a few comments about how this anime is in fact a lot less cool than "everyone" pretended it to be. This way of turning your back to something you previously praise (far) too much is a bit awkward. I thought it could be good based on the first tomes I had read, it was indeed relatively good (I think they made until now the best they could do on this format despite some little things bothering me), and of course: no, this was never going to be the new Holy Graal of the japanese animation (exactly like SAO or Shingeki no Kyôjin), this is a well done adaptation where the animation team was able to express a bit of its talent, nothing more but certainly nothing less either. All in all, a good and entertaining visual tale but not the "masterpiece" or revolutionary work others claimed it to be.

And for those who either sang to the glory of the general story or its badness, well it has nothing to do with this anime, they did the job to transcript the manga's scenario.
Mar 11, 2016 10:55 AM

Oct 2007
terminador_2397 said:
Turtletim said:

It doesn't exactly help fans that might pick it up later accurately gauge whether to do so or no. That's definitely annoying though when you get a hype show and then suddenly you apparently can't criticize anything about it ever or you're being a hater which is just so childish IMO. I remember Kyoani shows used to get that all the time and even moreso and it was pretty annoying and silly. IMO they also shouldn't be able to call people out either especially when their defenses are often limp wristed but hype gives people a strength in numbers kind of mentality where they feel they can just marginalize your opinion because you're amazingly enough in the minority for not losing your shit over a show and summarily declaring it a 10/10 masterpiece. Anime community is just so fucked basically.

I don't know how people could possibly not see the teacher coming. Maybe they really aren't just paying any sort of attention and are just here for the hype. Frankly I don't know what people see when they watch shows nowadays or what frame of mind they are even in with a lot of the comments I see. It's just....weird.
Mar 11, 2016 10:56 AM

Oct 2014
Nooooo I didn't want him to be the murderer!(≧ロ≦\)But unfortunately I suspected him from the moment I saw the man under the umbrella (≧.≦)
Mar 11, 2016 11:02 AM

Jul 2014
arms98 said:
eworm said:

When the hate comes from the same people who, just episode ago, were the hyping ones...

Look, I don't want to ridicule anyone's opinions, but I can't help but see people criticizing the show simply because it didn't go the way they thought it would. Despite the show's best efforts, many people still expected a surprise culprit (as opposed to the one the show pretty much hinted at from the start to prevent such expectations) and now it's the show's fault we didn't get OUR surprise culprit? You can't enjoy a story if you're "backseat-writing" it at the same time. You are allowed to demand things to happen, but only when the show promises you they'll happen. There was no promise of a surprise culprit - only a promise that Satoru will save his potential victims. And that has happened indeed, though not without sacrifice.

Is that someone with a brain that I have spotted? Like holy shit this is ridiculous, if you didn't like the anime up to this point that's one thing but trying to bash it because YOUR expectations were let down is complete bullshit. Not a single attempt was made by the main character in trying to track down the culprit, they've made it pretty clear that that isn't what this show is about

@eworm

I tried to offer a reasonable criticism without making it seem like I was just blindly bashing on the show. Imo, the problem is that Erased *inherently* brought this mystery element upon itself with its very premise: an *unknown* killer on the loose whose identity was not explicitly revealed to us early on, and *part* of the final objective was to identify said killer and bring him to justice. That premise itself should fundamentally present Erased as a story with at least *some* mystery elements, which I don't think were handled well. It doesn't matter how obvious the show tries to make the "whodunnit" seem over the course of the story; the problem is with its premise, and Erased also scatters clues/red herrings (like the culprit knowing Hiromi is male, and Sachiko's reaction to seeing the culprit in episode 1), and shows us some investigation-like moments in the present (first half of episode 1, and episodes 5-6, I believe). All of this combined does set up some expectations that Erased is supposed to be a competent mystery; the show didn't "promise" a good mystery, but it sure did set up those expectations. A lot of people were hoping for the red herring route, just because Erased was so blatant and obvious, but that didn't happen. So basically, Erased may not be strictly a full-fledged mystery, but it has *some* mystery elements in its presentation, and that is why I will not excuse or ignore the obvious, in-your-face treatment of them, regardless of its tags and labels.

Here's the cold, hard truth: many people are at least somewhat disappointed with this culprit reveal, and that shows that Erased *did* set up some expectations for an interesting mystery; to say otherwise would mean that you're claiming all of these people somehow made up these expectations for themselves, and weren't led on by the anime in the slightest. Are you going to take that position? That everyone who is disappointed just somehow conjured up these expectations out of thin air?

See, if only a few people were disappointed, then you'd have a case, but there are *many* who are disappointed; that proposes a likely conclusion that something about Erased's presentation is off, something that is reasonable to criticize. Now, I'm not saying that just because many people think so, that it makes the criticism correct, but this fact makes the criticism *more reasonable* as a valid opinion.

I can find one main counterargument to all of this: that the mystery of "who" is not supposed to be the focus, since the show has been so blatant with it; rather, it's the "why" and "how", and the other themes.

You can argue that as the show went on, the lack of focus on the "who" became more apparent, and that the people who didn't catch on are at fault, but that will never change Erased's initial premise: again, that an unknown killer is on the loose with *an* (not "the") end objective to identify and catch him. Like I said earlier, it is this very premise, coupled with the clues/red herrings presented, which brings about that expectation of at least a decently competent mystery. You can argue that Satoru's objective was not to catch the culprit, but to save lives, but then I'd call a problem with Satoru's character; he expects to save people by simply changing their deaths in the past, without actually trying to catch the culprit? What guarantee does he have that the culprit won't end up somehow killing them still, or that he won't kill anyone else? It's not enough to just prevent imminent deaths and ignore the root cause of the problem.

Furthermore, you say you're interested in the "why" - the motives - of Yashiro's killing. Are you really going to expect much out of a psychopathic murderer though? You expect something "deep", maybe justifiable? No, it's just going to be something messed up. Is something like that going to satisfy people and "wow" them? What other possible motive could there be? (and also, it's entirely possible the anime could skip out on Yashiro's backstory, since there are only 2 episodes left).

Moreover, I'm not asking for a "surprise" culprit; I'm asking for a respectably well-handled mystery. Those are different things. If Yashiro was the culprit, *but* there were also other reasonable suspects scattered throughout the show, then that'd be fine. That's the main thing I'd like to add: *more suspects*. That's like the bare minimum for a decent whodunnit mystery. Also, don't make all the clues point towards Yashiro, and don't make them so *blatant*. There's no subtlety at all with that, and even if this weren't a mystery, I find a lack of subtlety to generally be poor writing. For example, the breakfast scene with Kayo in episode 8: that was probably the most well-done emotional moment of the show, because the story presents the consequences of Kayo's abuse through her reaction to seeing such a warm, normal meal. That's a good example of subtlety. The mystery was not (red eyes, candy, the unidentified culprit looking like the teacher, etc).

And that concludes my long-ass post, sorry about that. Hope my position is more understandable. Again, I'm not trying to blindly bash on Erased.
LightBladeNovaMar 24, 2016 2:32 AM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Mar 11, 2016 11:04 AM

Oct 2007
Rei366 said:

Comic_Sans said:

Keep in mind this is the same director that gave us scenes like this and the scene in SAO Alfheim online where the sneering villain literally licks the MC's girlfriends tears right in front of him as he's under a binding spell just to be douchey in a way modern otaku would revile the most cause damn that's NTR man etc. It shouldn't really come as too much of a surprise that he'd go with that sort of portrayal which for him might as well be toning things down a little.

A-1's primary directors and producers mindsets are so trashy and otaku thought process oriented even when doing seinen manga adaptations that they're lucky that the anime medium has rock bottom standards nowadays and thinks edge and "suspense" automatically make a show a masterpiece and that NTR is the worst crime a human can inflict upon another. Worse than murder I would imagine since as I recall that guy never actually killed anyone, but the MC is perfectly fine being buddy buddy with the mass murderer original villain by that point for reasons....anyway different show same old kinds of A-1 storytelling and directing issues IMO.

eworm said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

When a hype show gets criticized it's only cause of blind hate, never blind hype in the picture, just hate.

When the hate comes from the same people who, just episode ago, were the hyping ones...

Look, I don't want to ridicule anyone's opinions, but I can't help but see people criticizing the show simply because it didn't go the way they thought it would. Despite the show's best efforts, many people still expected a surprise culprit (as opposed to the one the show pretty much hinted at from the start to prevent such expectations) and now it's the show's fault we didn't get OUR surprise culprit? You can't enjoy a story if you're "backseat-writing" it at the same time. You are allowed to demand things to happen, but only when the show promises you they'll happen. There was no promise of a surprise culprit - only a promise that Satoru will save his potential victims. And that has happened indeed, though not without sacrifice.

Well people have clearly let the hype run away with them and have insane expectations about the show now or in some cases just don't care and have been saying the same general hype comments that have for weeks only tailored a bit more to the episodes events. I just again feel like there's no self-awareness of the fact that people do a lot of these things to themselves, like they're mad that the culprit was super obvious, but apparently the execution was fine even though I find it pretty ridiculous and over the top (though expectedly so since it's how this director does things) which to me strikes me as mad for the wrong reasons but what else is new. People predict that viewers will get mad for silly reasons next week and though I have my doubts knowing what it is now just because of the hype bubble the show is in, knowing the sorts of things that piss off modern anime fans and what they seem to care about I could see how it could shake them out of it. Honestly I'm more interested to see the conclusion to peoples reactions over this show than I am the actually finale.
PeacingOutMar 11, 2016 11:15 AM
Mar 11, 2016 11:14 AM

Mar 2010
A mediocre episode. The initial scene with Aya and the other kids was outright terrible ("Don't make fun of hideouts!", the reaction shots) and Satoru might be brain dead - he was not only watching the bathroom but ruled out Yuuki (and his family). Apparently, this is when the the manga gets "less good."
Mar 11, 2016 11:32 AM

Apr 2014
HOLY FUCK, THIS SHOW NEEDS TO BE NUMBER ONE ONE MAL, IT IS SO FUCKING GOOD!! Especially the way it can build tension and all that stuff.
Mar 11, 2016 11:37 AM
Nov 2014
TonyTheme said:
...he was not only watching the bathroom...

That's exactly what gets me. Satoru literally watched her walk into the bathroom, yet believes the sensei when he says that she went outside... what?
Mar 11, 2016 11:41 AM
Aug 2015
I think a lot of people who bash on this anime do so because they are expecting a mind bending mystery in a world where anime has a shortage of true mysteries and this one started off giving viewers the expectation that this would be a mystery with more superpower use. In reality this is a drama/suspense that uses mystery simply as a plot device, kind of like how Death Note did it (except this one is more feely than cerebral). If you look at it that way, it succeeds at what it does. I don't think that anyone can argue that even with flaws this is not a competent anime relative to most other anime out there
Pages (19) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2016

1399 by bakakisima »»
Apr 23, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2016

1108 by bakakisima »»
Apr 23, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2016

769 by Jocku »»
Apr 17, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2016

498 by bakakisima »»
Apr 11, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2016

581 by bakakisima »»
Apr 11, 12:06 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.