Forums

"XXX character is unlikable/whiny, therefore bad."

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 4, 2016 1:16 AM
Jul 2018
Shiza-sennin said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

How can you like Light ? He's such a big meanie!

I agree with Light, but Mayuri? ;_; So cold..

Don't worry she hs just being tsun to tutturu. After all, it is becoz of her we are getting the saviour of animu s;g 0.
Feb 4, 2016 1:21 AM

Dec 2015
strider_91 said:
Shiza-sennin said:

Don't worry she hs just being tsun to tutturu. After all, it is becoz of her we are getting the saviour of animu s;g 0.

Yaasssss Savior of animu!
Still can't get down with the tuturu though.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 4, 2016 1:26 AM

Sep 2015
It's one thing if the character has good reason for acting like he does. Shinichi from Kiseijuu was a bullied kid got who thrown into a completely different world, and

He had a genuine reason for acting that way, but eventually grew out of it. He actually progressed and developed.

The only times I'll dislike a whiny character is when they stay whiny for the entirety of the anime. Having 0 character development doesn't usually sit well with me, especially when they have so much room to get better.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 4, 2016 1:29 AM

Oct 2014
How i think a character being unlikable/whiny as bad really depends on the anime. If the character fits appropriately in the anime, then i will either don't care about the character or think his good, otherwise his bad.
Feb 4, 2016 1:43 AM

Jan 2015
If a character is unlikable, and is supposed to be unlikeable, good job animu.
Feb 4, 2016 1:55 AM

Jan 2014
Gilgamesh is egoistic bastard, always talk about his collection and all aside from him and some peers he choose are stupid and not worth his time. But his not that bad he make Kirei an interesting villain and praise that wimp-of-a-master of Rider for being loyal as his subject.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Feb 4, 2016 2:06 AM

Mar 2014
-Senpai- said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

Lol I know that. That was my point I was trying to make before. I like his character design because he acts the way he's supposed to. He's still a dick regardless and I don't like him. Go L! L is hotter anyways.
I can see why people hate/dislike him, Light since the beginning has a pessimistic view of the world and suddenly he gets a God-like power, he set a high goal and the "end justifies the means" mindset just make him more dislikeable and basically all the story is him being a dick (a likeable dick btw) but idk, maybe if it was a person like that irl I would be like "Yeah, fuck that guy" but since it's just a work of fiction I just get lost in his evilness.

And, don't like Kona, we all know that the hottest of the Death Note cast was that afro guy...
Afro guy? Fucking shit taste

Matsuda > all
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 4, 2016 2:10 AM

Jul 2013
Fukcing plebs discussing why is Death Note's best boy when Ryuk is the true response.
Feb 4, 2016 3:17 AM

Jul 2015
I don't think they're bad at all. They entertain me. Plus, the average person would be whining even more than them in a similar situation.
Feb 4, 2016 3:41 AM

Nov 2015
strider_91 said:
Shiza-sennin said:

I see. There is much tsun tsun on this site, even toward the clearly amazing tutturu. :'D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 4, 2016 4:28 AM

Oct 2011
An unlikable character doesn't necessarily mean it's a badly written one.
Feb 4, 2016 4:35 AM

Nov 2011
I don't like whiny people so naturally I'll hate whiny bitch too. People only like whiny character when they stop being whiny at one point.

Feb 4, 2016 5:10 AM

Nov 2009
1) I disagree that being whiny is unlikeable, and tend to dislike people who claim that it is.
There is only one thing that is unlikeable. It's being evil.
When a character is doing the right thing, it doesn't matter if he lacks self-confidence and isn't a hot-blooded fool. Courage is not knowing no fear, it is knowing fear and acting despite it.

2) I think the logic in the opening quote is bad.
Sure, NGE or Mirai Nikki could have Momonga the Overlord as a protagonist. Would it make the show better? NO.
It sure wouldn't be NGE or Mirai Nikki anymore. If anything, it would have made the shows too easy for the protagonists. Evangelions can be so overpowered _because_ they can only be piloted by weak people. Kamina piloting Evangelion would have been boring and overpowered.

3) Some characters are just bad (as characters in a story). Some characters are unlikeable. These categories are not related.
Feb 4, 2016 5:14 AM

Nov 2009
Illyricus said:
I agree, who can hate Mayuri? I mean, how can you hate this cute, adorable and lovely face?

Only a monster can hate that smile. We must protect it.

Mayuri from Bleach is just one big stain on the name of science.
I can understand it when the only scientist in the show is a perverted old man who designs giant robots that can only be piloted by little girls (but I still find in a bad thing). But to have all the show's scientists on the side of evil, and being the evilest beings on that side?
That's pure anti-intellectualism. I hate that.
Feb 4, 2016 10:01 AM

Jan 2016
What makes a character bad is not their unlikable traits but rather the less developed they are as characters. As long as the character in question has a reason for acting the way he/she does, I don't care whether or not he/she is likable or unlikable.
Feb 4, 2016 10:16 AM

Jan 2016
If the character is written that way and it makes sense in the overall story.... then that logic is just stupid. But if a character is just whiny just because.... that logic is sound.
Feb 4, 2016 10:19 AM

Jun 2015
AltoRoark99 said:
I never understood people's distaste for "whiny" characters. As long as they have a reason to complain, what's the problem? I'm sure all of you have been whiny at least once in your life.

There is a huge difference between "once in your life" and "EVERY FUCKING HOUR YOU SPEND AWAKE". When the character, especially if it is the MC, whines 99% of the episode's span, in 90% of the episodes, it just fucking sucks.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 4, 2016 10:44 AM

May 2014
Do some people seriously put Tokyo Ghoul and Mirai Nikki on the same level as Gurren Lagann and NGE?

OP: obvious answer is obvious, this logic is flawed. It has to be well done, though, otherwise it can be really cringe-worthy.
Feb 4, 2016 10:47 AM

Jun 2015
katsaroulhs said:
AltoRoark99 said:
I never understood people's distaste for "whiny" characters. As long as they have a reason to complain, what's the problem? I'm sure all of you have been whiny at least once in your life.

There is a huge difference between "once in your life" and "EVERY FUCKING HOUR YOU SPEND AWAKE". When the character, especially if it is the MC, whines 99% of the episode's span, in 90% of the episodes, it just fucking sucks.

Again, if they have a good reason to complain, then I don't see the problem. Shinji Ikari has very logical reasons to complain. I just can't imagine acting any differently if I were in his shoes.
Feb 4, 2016 10:57 AM

Jun 2015
AltoRoark99 said:
katsaroulhs said:

Again, if they have a good reason to complain, then I don't see the problem. Shinji Ikari has very logical reasons to complain. I just can't imagine acting any differently if I were in his shoes.

Shinji is a VERY special case. Like, 1 in 1000000.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 4, 2016 11:40 AM

Jun 2015
katsaroulhs said:
AltoRoark99 said:

But he is hated just because he is whiny. This proves the simple mindset people have where any character who whines is deemed a bad character.

Another example is Vincent Law from Ergo Proxy.
Feb 4, 2016 11:50 AM

Dec 2012
That's a valid thought process. If a character is supposed to be likable but he comes off unlikable then that could make him a bad character in the eye of the viewers.

When you get to it, there is no clear and universal definition of a good character. Most people perceive it differently, from superficial reasons to critical reasons. Being Whiny with good reasons really doesn't make it any less annoying.

This seems like a Shinji rationalization in particular. Sure, calling Shinji a bad character because he is a pussy isn't that valid but when it comes to it Shinji personality while intended to be that way can be looked at as badly written. The whole popular opinion of him being realistic is rubbish imo. His character never develops, it keeps going in a circle, this is particularly evident when after all Shinji went through in the TV series, he still keeps doing the same routine at the beginning of EoE with Misato.

Not all characters needs to develop but Shinji had many reasons and conflicts to develop. And development doesn't necessarily mean he should become a ''tough guy'' but his character needed to change and have some decisive mindset. How he was basically the same character on repeat was more annoying to me than his whining.
tsudecimoFeb 4, 2016 1:54 PM
Feb 4, 2016 11:52 AM

Jan 2012
They aren't bad, they are just less enjoyable, at least in my opinion.

It's sort of like in real life, no one likes a whiny person, so why are they going to like a whiny character. Doesn't make the character bad, just unenjoyable and/or annoying.
Feb 4, 2016 11:55 AM

Jun 2015
AltoRoark99 said:
katsaroulhs said:

But he is hated just because he is whiny. This proves the simple mindset people have where any character who whines is deemed a bad character.

Shinji is hated because he is whining during times he shouldn't.

And I didn't know Vincent was being hated. I found him awesome.
Seiya0890 said:

Wise words.
Feb 4, 2016 12:24 PM

Mar 2015
bad character doesnt mean bad writen.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 4, 2016 12:26 PM

Dec 2015
I think the terms "likeable" and "unlikeable" are so poorly defined that they are basically useless.
Feb 4, 2016 12:58 PM

Jun 2015
katsaroulhs said:
AltoRoark99 said:

And I didn't know Vincent was being hated. I found him awesome.

Whining during times when he shouldn't? What do you mean by that?

Kuma said:
unlikeable character doesnt mean bad writen.

FTFY
Feb 4, 2016 1:03 PM

Jul 2013
flannan said:
Illyricus said:
I agree, who can hate Mayuri? I mean, how can you hate this cute, adorable and lovely face?

Only a monster can hate that smile. We must protect it.

I can understand it when the only scientist in the show is a perverted old man who designs giant robots that can only be piloted by little girls (but I still find in a bad thing). But to have all the show's scientists on the side of evil, and being the evilest beings on that side?
Mayuri is actually very awesome, and he is not a bad guy.
Feb 4, 2016 1:33 PM
Jul 2018
I more often see criticisms directed towards people who like characters who are extremely morally corrupt as supposed to whiny.

Take one of my top favs. I have been a target of such criticisms for liking him.
"How can you like someone with so few morals? Eww, you're so gross!"
Choke me.

Character preference has nothing to do necessarily with the person who prefers them as far as personality goes, given the fact that I've had a pretty difficult life, and I'm a messed up person, and so is Nasujima, but that does not mean to any degree I approve of the fact that he's implied to abuse girls, launder money, and other acts that are questionable if not actually illegal. Of course I have a standard of moral, I just like messed up characters, I don't understand why that's so unfathomable? By no means does my favoritism towards a fictional man actually mean I support rape or misogyny in any way, and people need to stop comparing fiction to reality, especially in a series where the general consensus seems to be that everyone is in need of intense therapy due to the fact that they're all fucking nutcases.
removed-userFeb 4, 2016 1:41 PM
Feb 4, 2016 1:39 PM

May 2012
tsudecimo said:
That's a valid thought process. If a character is supposed to be likable but he comes off unlikable then that could make him a bad character in the eye of the viewers.

When you get to it, there is no clear and universal definition of a good character. Most people perceive it differently, from superficial reasons to critical reasons. Being Whiny with good reasons really doesn't make it any less annoying.

This seems like a Shinji rationalization in particular. Sure, calling Shinji a bad character because he is a pussy isn't that valid but when it comes to it Shinji personality while intended to be that way can be looked at as badly written. The whole popular opinion of him being realistic is rubbish imo. His character never develops, it keeps going in a circle, this is particularly evident when after all Shinji went through in the TV series, he still keeps doing the same routine at the beginning of EoE with Misato.

Not all characters needs to develop but Shinji had many reasons and conflicts to develop. And development doesn't necessarily mean he should become a ''tough guy'' but his character needed to change and have some decisive mindset. How he was basically the same character on repeat was more annoying to me than his whining.

I don't even really get how some people can relate to Shinji. I mean you need to be exceptionally pathetic to be able to.

There were several moments in the show that when things got better for shinji, they got worse soon after. When he made friends and one of his friends was going to pilot the eva and he had to fight him. That is a reason for him to fall back into despair. I don't think you considered how messed up the people who surround shinji are. They all use him and treat him rather poorly yet he still performs his tasks exceptionally well. You act like there has to be some linear progression to character development when that doesn't necessarily has to be the case. Especially in the case of evangelion, when the ending is shinji reaching that point where he accepts the pain and problems of others because that is the nature of human relationships. And he has to accept himself. Both the original end of the series and the movie say the same thing.

Also, nice job insulting people. Jesus...
Feb 4, 2016 1:56 PM

Dec 2012
katsaroulhs said:

Precisely. I still remember the moment where I facepalmed the hardest watching EVA.

It was in EoE, a bit in the beginning and their base was under attack or something and Shinji did the whole fetus position routine with Misato. Felt like I was watching the TV series from the beginning.
Feb 4, 2016 2:02 PM

Aug 2014
Well, he'd just been traumatized by killing Kaworu.
Feb 4, 2016 2:31 PM

May 2014
tsudecimo said:
katsaroulhs said:

Precisely. I still remember the moment where I facepalmed the hardest watching EVA.

It was in EoE, a bit in the beginning and their base was under attack or something and Shinji did the whole fetus position routine with Misato. Felt like I was watching the TV series from the beginning.

It's not like Shinji had pretty legitimate reasons for being depressed.
Feb 4, 2016 3:48 PM

Mar 2014
Too much whining is annoying. If all they do is whine, then I won't like them.
Feb 4, 2016 4:22 PM
Sep 2011
I definitely don't agree that an unlikable character is automatically badly written.

I've already said my feelings on characters who are whiny in this thread.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1474775&show=50#post80

I can't speak for those who have actually SEEN shows like Mirai Nikki or Evangelion, but you could argue that a character considered whiny is disliked because they don't do the things expected of them as the protagonist.

Instead of facing the threats and trials head-on, they behave "realistically" and spend the whole show crying and angsting, which can easily wear out its welcome. It says a lot that Madoka Magica's weakest aspect is almost unanimously considered to be its title character.

Whether or not these characters are well written is a different story.
Feb 4, 2016 4:29 PM

Jun 2013
People say that Makoto from School Days is a bad character because he's unlikable all of the time. They also say the same for Sekai from the same show for similar reasons, though I actually think she's a great character.

RLinksoul said:
I definitely don't agree that an unlikable character is automatically badly written.

Instead of facing the threats and trials head-on, they behave "realistically" and spend the whole show crying and angsting, which can easily wear out its welcome. It says a lot that Madoka Magica's weakest aspect is almost unanimously considered to be its title character.

Madoka doesn't just sit there and cry though, she tries to help her friends out on multiple occasions throughout the series. This argument doesn't hold any weight
Eva1936Feb 4, 2016 4:32 PM
Feb 4, 2016 6:49 PM

Oct 2015
Nah.. altering between hate and love at one character is easy, don't sweat it.

I'm agree with that logic, what makes whiny character pissed me off is how their poor action, decision affect the whole series and change good anime into shitty/crap anime. a lame chara like TTGL's simone doesn't affect that much since kamina really takes the lead, and as the series continue he is change, he become better chara with good self-insert.

But not many character like that, character's personality doesn't change fast, and watching a whiny character over 10/20-ish or even 1 season without change is annoying.
Feb 4, 2016 7:48 PM
Jul 2012
That's very weak criticism made by bored sociopath nerds who had limited human interactions and want to keep living in their bubble of mediocrity. "Wahhh evangelion isnt super robot anime number 183748 the main char actually questions stuff wahhhh"

If I "hate" a character is because he's terribly written/extremely one note. I hate all chars in mirai nikki, yuki sucks not because he's whiny but because he has literally no character except for wearing a hat, being good at darts and liking some crazy horrible waifu with no personality either(show has shit art too, fapping to anime is bad as it is but some of you be fapping on that mediocrity? Smfh). Elfen Lied characters aren't "realistic and flawed", they simply act in a way that actual humans wouldn't, but this is a stupid show with mindless violence so they GOTTA keep the drama going. Bonus one from a show that isnt offensive garbage that insults your intelligence: ginko from mushishi is bad too, how can you watch over 26 eps of him doing the same thing over and over? He's simply dull as hell and his rare humorous moments feel simply random, good episodic shows like Cowboy Bebop and many others actually has memorable multi-dimensional characters
Feb 4, 2016 7:58 PM

Jun 2013
Tarextherex said:
That's very weak criticism made by bored sociopath nerds who had limited human interactions and want to keep living in their bubble of mediocrity. "Wahhh evangelion isnt super robot anime number 183748 the main char actually questions stuff wahhhh"

If I "hate" a character is because he's terribly written/extremely one note. I hate all chars in mirai nikki, yuki sucks not because he's whiny but because he has literally no character except for wearing a hat, being good at darts and liking some crazy horrible waifu with no personality either(show has shit art too, fapping to anime is bad as it is but some of you be fapping on that mediocrity? Smfh). Elfen Lied characters aren't "realistic and flawed", they simply act in a way that actual humans wouldn't, but this is a stupid show with mindless violence so they GOTTA keep the drama going. Bonus one from a show that isnt offensive garbage that insults your intelligence: ginko from mushishi is bad too, how can you watch over 26 eps of him doing the same thing over and over? He's simply dull as hell and his rare humorous moments feel simply random, good episodic shows like Cowboy Bebop and many others actually has memorable multi-dimensional characters

I agree with everything you said except for the Mirai Nikki part but only because I find Yuno an actually pretty good character. Other than that though, spot on
Feb 4, 2016 8:13 PM

Jun 2015
I disagree completely. Unlikable characters have their place and can still be well made. Unlikable people are everywhere and a well written piece of fiction can represent this well. Usually it's with 'evil' actions but doing it with 'whinny' or 'useless' actions is the same concept.
Feb 4, 2016 8:22 PM

Dec 2015
Kuma said:
bad character doesnt mean bad writen.

Exactly.
Sometimes a character is written in a way where you're not really supposed to like them.

This is why I don't complain about people who dislike a certain character.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 4, 2016 8:33 PM

Jul 2015
A character could be considered "unlikable" or "whiny" while still being a "good" character in their own right.

Of course, that depends on your definition of a "good" character. If that definition is "a character that I like", then they would not be a "good" character according to those standards. Alternatively, if that definition is "a character that is well-written", then they could possibly be considered a "good" character.

I personally am in the latter group and tend to differentiate the characters that I just acknowledge as a "good" character from the characters I like. An example of this would be Lelouch Lamperouge, who is a character that I acknowledge as a well-written, complex character. However, he annoyed the fire out me.
Feb 4, 2016 10:40 PM

Nov 2009
Illyricus said:
flannan said:

I've never watched Bleach that far. All I remember is him being pointlessly evil and unable to even make a convincing "for science!" argument. He's killed all the quincy for his personal enjoyment, and hasn't actually invented anything, except not dying when he is killed (which is a bad thing of itself) .
Feb 4, 2016 11:09 PM

Nov 2009
dizzyur said:
I more often see criticisms directed towards people who like characters who are extremely morally corrupt as supposed to whiny.

Take one of my top favs. I have been a target of such criticisms for liking him.
Choke me.

Character preference has nothing to do necessarily with the person who prefers them as far as personality goes, given the fact that I've had a pretty difficult life, and I'm a messed up person, and so is Nasujima, but that does not mean to any degree I approve of the fact that he's implied to abuse girls, launder money, and other acts that are questionable if not actually illegal. Of course I have a standard of moral, I just like messed up characters, I don't understand why that's so unfathomable? By no means does my favoritism towards a fictional man actually mean I support rape or misogyny in any way, and people need to stop comparing fiction to reality, especially in a series where the general consensus seems to be that everyone is in need of intense therapy due to the fact that they're all fucking nutcases.

I find liking morally corrupt characters to be very hard to understand. What's good about them?
Are all those Sudou/Oberon fans trolling?

I mean I get it, Gilgamesh and Gasai Yuno are true to themselves and unconstrained by morality, and that makes them cool. But why corrupt characters?

(By the way, I dropped Durara at about episode 1, so I have no idea what that teacher is like)
Feb 4, 2016 11:20 PM
Jul 2018
flannan said:
dizzyur said:

Choke me.

I find liking morally corrupt characters to be very hard to understand. What's good about them?
Are all those Sudou/Oberon fans trolling?

I mean I get it, Gilgamesh and Gasai Yuno are true to themselves and unconstrained by morality, and that makes them cool. But why corrupt characters?

(By the way, I dropped Durara at about episode 1, so I have no idea what that teacher is like)

Well, I don't know how exactly to explain, at first I was kind of just drawn to him at first. He is really disgusting as far as mannerisms go, but I don't know. Completely putting aside any physical attraction I have....

I think I was just really roused mostly by the idea that he may have had a really dark backstory, which I ended up creating myself in my spare time, and the fact that he was likely very psychologically damaged, it's highly unlikely that someone acts like him by choice. At first it's apparent that he's a creep and assailant, but secondarily in a latter arc of the series he starts acting downright psychopathic.

My interest may mostly stem from the fact that I'm fascinated by psychology, more so than that, highly imbalanced people who are to a point where they're irreparable... I watched a lot of crime shows when I was younger, and I was always interested in the nature of the people that were often profiled, even though they were, obviously, extremely bad people. Aside from all that I'm a highly messed up individual myself, obviously not a rapist or psychopath, I just happen to have a very heavy past that weighs on my shoulders, and a series of issues, so I guess that factors into why I like 'badly behaved' characters as well. Perhaps all this just a mechanism to try and curb my very violent mental urges stabbing me in the gut on a constant basis. I don't know. Truly, I really don't, I've written probable explanation after probable explanation but I'm not entirely sure what besides physical attraction first drew me, so I cannot say it's fully comprehensible to me.

I never really liked Izaya, honestly, but I always liked him, it's odd. I feel like Nasujima is similar to Izaya in certain ways, except the connotation associated with sexual crimes is severer, ergo, he's almost mutually hated, and in addition was given far lesser development than much of anyone else (as I said, I did a lot of developing on my own accord, because my mind needed something to keep me awake, alive and breathing at the time I first started liking him, I basically felt like dying everyday)- but not entirely. I feel like he's actually got reason beneath his motive, or ultimately his mannerisms stemmed from a highly unhealthy environment or something. You know, the abused, becomes the abuser, that cycle. I have a hunch that he was raised in that kind of environment, and has a lot of vices, except he does nothing to help them, and instead embraces the insanity for all it is, though this is mainly applicable later on.
removed-userFeb 4, 2016 11:26 PM
Feb 4, 2016 11:24 PM

Nov 2009
dizzyur said:
My interest may mostly stem from the fact that I'm fascinated by psychology, more so than that, highly imbalanced people who are to a point where they're irreparable... I watched a lot of crime shows when I was younger, and I was always interested in the nature of the people that were often profiled, even though they were, obviously, extremely bad people.

Thank you for your explanation, now it makes a lot more sense.
(But as I don't have interest in psychology myself, I still can't like that kind of characters)
Feb 4, 2016 11:40 PM

May 2014
Whining is fine with me, and it's usually pretty realistic given the ridiculous settings in some anime. It's silly to expect everyone to immediately turn into the team leader (or even the take action) type if they were thrown into a life or death situation.

Though I do get really annoyed with protags who are physically weak or powerless in general, refuse to use underhanded tactics (because muh honor), and basically just go around preaching their morals while they stack up every possible disadvantage for themselves up till the last episode where they run at the big bad head-on. And win.

I ain't about that.
Feb 4, 2016 11:57 PM

Mar 2015
Whiny characters are annoying as hell especially if they lack common sense... sometime sIm able to ignore them though unless they do something so stupid and/or whiny that makes me roll my eyes way back I see my brain
私はサイタマ様が大好きです。私は彼の雌犬です!
Feb 5, 2016 12:53 AM

Jul 2013
flannan said:
Illyricus said:

I've never watched Bleach that far. All I remember is him being pointlessly evil and unable to even make a convincing "for science!" argument. He's killed all the quincy for his personal enjoyment, and hasn't actually invented anything, except not dying when he is killed (which is a bad thing of itself) .
If you watch the Hueco Mundo arc and this last arc, you will understand why the Soul Society needs him. He doesn't stop to being a jerk, but he is actually useful (saves Ishida and Renji, makes Ichigo reach the battlefield against Aizen, neutralizes an enemy who turn people into zombies, defeats an elite enemy along Nemu who makes everyone thanks him...) and his "evil" aspect is toned down. You have that image of him because you have only watch the arc when he is presented in the most negative light. I suggest you to watch Bleach entirely to have a better view of his character.
Feb 5, 2016 1:45 AM
Feb 2015
My main issue is that people think Shinji in NGE is a bad character - simply because he isn't immediately likeable or doesn't act like any other mechs protagonist does not make him a badly written character; the fact that he reacts realistically is what makes him so good.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

38 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 39 minutes ago

4 by filjoh »»
24 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

43 by EpicO4 »»
26 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
38 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 42 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.