Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 3, 2016 8:34 AM

Dec 2015
So, do you?

I feel western animation has really hit a high point these past few years, with some great shows like Rick and Morty, Gravity Falls, and Star vs the Forces of Evil setting the bar way above where it was 10 years.

oh yeah, and Adventure Time might be one of the greatest things ever created :p
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 3, 2016 8:35 AM

Jul 2012
Not a fan of episodic cartoons (even in Anime) so no, I don't watch many. And I don't like English voice acting that much. If anyone has recs that are similar to my favourite Anime, hit me up.
Feb 3, 2016 8:42 AM

Jan 2016
I do. It gets me entertained. But, I don't get out of my way to watch it.

I watch cartoons for kids like Regular Show, Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb and Adventure Time... They're both good watches.

I also watch cartoons with adult content like South Park, The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, Futurama, Family Guy, Cleveland Brown, American Dad and Family Guy.
They're a good watch if you just wanna laugh at things.
Feb 3, 2016 9:12 AM

Jan 2015
I like Spongebob, and who don't
Western should take old carl bark and don rosa for donald duck and scrooge mcduck , so many good story there

la critique de l'intention pure
Feb 3, 2016 10:26 AM
Feb 2014
Worst stories ever, worst styles ever (not everything but most). Sure I really really love some. But I cannot congratulate it as it can be way way greater. You all wanna see Adventure Time or Gfalls anime styled, well even anime style wouldn't save their ridiculous stories. It'd save the style but the stories are still weak comparable to anime which is always excellent to me.

If we talk about the styles which are used in most western animation:

The only animation works which can be 'recognized' on top, are the works by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Laloux René Laloux a french animator and director. He is a genius. Only has a few short animations which seem artistic haven't watched those and has 3 movie animations which are excellent.

This guy's worlds and stories and style are top notch. Uncomparable to american animations and is as great as anime. Granted anime style is much better for me, but if some creators don't want to use anime style then these are the only other acceptable styles to use.

I'm talking about Gandahar and Fantastic Planet. Time Masters is also great with the story but the animation/drawing styleis looking like something american which I don't like, on the other hand the backgrounds look like smth from Fantastic Planet which is great. But the character's look is in a style which should not be 'recognized' in Time Masters. It is not bad by any means. But as far as the characters drawing/animation style looks like, I can't say it's something I love.
Feb 3, 2016 12:09 PM

Aug 2014
yep, western animation has reached quite a high in recent years, while most new anime is pretty bland... also nobody mentioned over the garden wall yet. that's probably the best animated show of the past some years i've seen.
Feb 3, 2016 12:19 PM

Dec 2015
robiu013 said:
yep, western animation has reached quite a high in recent years, while most new anime is pretty bland... also nobody mentioned over the garden wall yet. that's probably the best animated show of the past some years i've seen.

Good call, I totally forgot to mention Over The Garden Wall.
Feb 3, 2016 12:30 PM

Mar 2014
Of course

Western animation and cartoon VO actors (not anime dubbers, obviously) are great and I like great things

One of my favorite movies of all time, Les Triplettes De Belleville, is an animated movie
semss said:
I like Spongebob, and who don't
Western should take old carl bark and don rosa for donald duck and scrooge mcduck , so many good story there
^This
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 3, 2016 12:38 PM

Nov 2014
I can't recall any Western TV shows that I like right now, but there are some Western animated movies that I really enjoy like Coraline, The Lion King, and The Incredibles—just to name a few. Some of them have great stories, and are stunning to look at.
Feb 3, 2016 12:41 PM

Jan 2013
Very rarely when I have to watch a movie but end up watching Disney
Feb 3, 2016 12:44 PM

Jan 2016
Before I knew about Anime I did watch quite some, but once I learned about Anime, then I stopped watching any Western Toon. It's only very rarely that I watch it now, like if it's with the family or something like that...
Feb 3, 2016 12:45 PM

Nov 2011
South park and Simpsons are better than most anime tbh. And yeah Gravity Falls is great and so is Adventure time and regular show.

I personally am a big fan of Ralph Bakshi especially Heavy Traffic. Also love The Yellow Submarine.
Feb 3, 2016 12:48 PM

Oct 2015
I like some of it, of course I watch Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks movies all the time.

I also like:

Rick and Morty
Gravity Falls
The Legend of Korra
Feb 3, 2016 1:01 PM

Dec 2015
MattKitsune96 said:
I like some of it, of course I watch Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks movies all the time.

I also like:

Rick and Morty
Gravity Falls
The Legend of Korra

Avatar/Legend of Korra - Imitating anime but still doing it better than a decent chunk of anime out there
Feb 3, 2016 1:04 PM

Aug 2013
and don't forget the newer shows look gorgeous

Feb 3, 2016 1:09 PM
Jun 2014
Nah not really. I watch TV shows though.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Feb 3, 2016 1:09 PM

Dec 2015
Spooks said:
and don't forget the newer shows look gorgeous

Yeah they do look great. However the method of animation they used for Gravity Falls left it with a fair share of animation errors.

Check these out
Bobby2HandsFeb 3, 2016 1:13 PM
Feb 3, 2016 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
South Park will forever be my favorite series, so yeah.
Feb 3, 2016 1:16 PM

Apr 2015
Sometimes on TV.

I think my favorite is The Amazing World of Gumball. It's funny.
Feb 3, 2016 1:48 PM

Jan 2015
is awesome I guess, or magnificent...

Feb 3, 2016 2:07 PM

Mar 2014
semss said:
Indeed

Though I've heard most Americans today don't know who Barks and Don Rosa are (which is pretty sad imo)
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 3, 2016 2:40 PM

Jul 2015
Yes when I was younger. The most recent western animation I've viewed is Wakfu.

Wakfu
Batman Beyond
Samurai Jack
Megas XLR
Futurama
Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Ed Edd and Eddy
Courage the cowardly dog
Feb 3, 2016 2:44 PM

Apr 2014
RWBY

Eh, just RWBY mostly. I don't really watch TV anymore.
Feb 3, 2016 2:59 PM

Feb 2016
When I was a kid I used to watch a ton of cartoon like the ones mentioned above. Nowadays I watch shows like Family Guy and South Park but even that very rarely, as I find them to be less and less funny.

I did enjoy Bill Burr`s F is for Family, too bad it had only 10 or so episodes.
Beautiful Betsy oversells her indifference. The schizophrenic takes note.
Feb 3, 2016 3:07 PM

Aug 2012
Used to but not anymore. Think the last western cartoon I watched that I really enjoyed was star wars the clone wars.
Feb 3, 2016 3:11 PM

Dec 2012
Only adult comedy like Rick and Morty and Archer for example.
Feb 3, 2016 3:18 PM

Aug 2013
Yes as much as anime. Steven Universe season 2, Adventure Time season 7, Regular Show season 7, Mickey Mouse 2013 season 3, Southpark season 19 , Moonbeam City, Clarence season 2 are far more entertaining than the anime I'm watching this season except for Assclass season 2. I'm also really looking forward to Batman the Killing Joke , Justice League vs Teen Titans and Kulipari Army of Frogs more than any anime being released this year.
Feb 3, 2016 3:21 PM

Dec 2015
DrGeroCreation said:
Yes as much as anime. Steven Universe season 2, Adventure Time season 7, Regular Show season 7, Mickey Mouse 2013 season 3, Southpark season 19 , Moonbeam City, Clarence season 2 are far more entertaining than the anime I'm watching this season except for Assclass season 2. I'm also really looking forward to Batman the Killing Joke , Justice League vs Teen Titans and Kulipari Army of Frogs more than any anime being released this year.

Killing Joke and Justice League vs Teen Titans should be good considering DC Warners track record.
Feb 3, 2016 3:22 PM

Aug 2013
Bobby2Hands said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Killing Joke and Justice League vs Teen Titans should be good considering DC Warners track record.
Yeah plus Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil are reprising their roles as Batman and the Joker respectively for the Killing Joke.
Feb 3, 2016 3:29 PM

Aug 2013
Forgot to mention that I'm also looking forward to a second season of Justice League Gods and Monsters Chronicles although Warner Bros hasn't announced it yet and Long Way North getting subbed or dubbed.
Feb 3, 2016 4:00 PM

Dec 2015
DrGeroCreation said:
Forgot to mention that I'm also looking forward to a second season of Justice League Gods and Monsters Chronicles although Warner Bros hasn't announced it yet and Long Way North getting subbed or dubbed.

Didn't know that was happening. The first Gods and Monsters was pretty decent but I'm hesitant to say that it needed a sequel.
Feb 3, 2016 4:39 PM

Jan 2014
Of course. They have some of the best stuff out there.

Rick and Morty, and Gravity Falls are certainly the best of the newest series, and Over the Garden Wall is the best cartoon miniseries.

The Venture Bros is also back, so that gives me something to keep up with.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 3, 2016 7:06 PM

Jan 2015
Comic_Sans said:
semss said:
Indeed

Though I've heard most Americans today don't know who Barks and Don Rosa are (which is pretty sad imo)
yeah, pretty sad hear that, it's just like the old story about don rosa, that even his neighbor in america not know what his job was, damn, murica...
karambiaFeb 3, 2016 7:43 PM

Feb 3, 2016 7:38 PM

Aug 2015
Would enjoy Spongebob Squarepants any time, although I don't watch it deliberately. If by some chance i get presented with it, then i'll watch at my pleasure.
蒼穹を舞う。
Feb 3, 2016 7:51 PM

Aug 2013
Bobby2Hands said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Didn't know that was happening. The first Gods and Monsters was pretty decent but I'm hesitant to say that it needed a sequel.
Well it's not a sequel to the Gods and Monsters movie but a second season of the Gods and Monsters Chronicles mini series which was only 3 short episodes . I'm interested in seeing it because it could greater expand on this new alternate world and give backstory for the other alternate DC heroes.
Feb 3, 2016 8:20 PM

Jan 2013
they were my childhood summed up. was really fond of samurai jack and totally spies among a few others but i forgot the name since i didn't understand english back then xD
last time i watched any was gravity falls when it first came out but there's no heart to watch it now.
Feb 3, 2016 8:37 PM

Dec 2015
Yes I will always prefer western animation over anime. So many good shows have came out this past decade.

Feb 3, 2016 9:06 PM

Feb 2016
-Beavis and Butthead
-Courage The Cowardly Dog
-King of The Hill
-Ed, Edd and Eddy
-Samurai Jack
-Rocko's Modern Life
-Here's one ya'll might vaguely remember. Reboot

The cartoons of my youth.
Feb 3, 2016 9:07 PM

Jul 2014
Is there a site like MAL for american cartoons? i feel like it'd be easier to get more into them if there was
Feb 3, 2016 9:16 PM
Jul 2015
I watch more western cartoons than anime.
I watch everything going on Cartoon Network (but not Ben10) I love Amazing World of Gumball, Clarence, Regular Show and MAD. Steven Universe its okay, but I think its a little overrated lol
Disney Channel and XD are cool too, Gravity Falls, Kick Buttowski and sometimes Phineas and Ferb (though that one is pretty boring and repetitive) I watch Nickelodeon sometimes, Penguins of Madagascar are awesome and I also watch the Simpsons and Futurama too if im really bored.

Old school cartoons are okay too, but I prefer the new ones.
Feb 3, 2016 10:07 PM

Mar 2014
semss said:
Comic_Sans said:
Indeed

yeah, pretty sad hear that, it's just like the old story about don rosa, that even his neighbor in america not know what his job was, damn, murica...
Lmao yeah I think I read that in an interview in one of the Don Rosa collection books that came out here in Scandinavia a few years ago (they're really nice by the way, I own two of them)
Nico- said:
Feb 3, 2016 11:42 PM

Aug 2013
teeawgo said:
Is there a site like MAL for american cartoons? i feel like it'd be easier to get more into them if there was
There is no Mycartoonlist.com but there is Toonzone.net to talk about cartoons , Cartoonbrew for cartoon news , Big cartoon database for episode guides and production information and Traktv to record the latest episodes of cartoons you are watching.
Feb 3, 2016 11:47 PM

Aug 2015
No I don't. I find none of them interesting enough to watch in any way.
Feb 4, 2016 12:06 AM

Jan 2014
Watch some "adult cartoon", but ain't liking the humor of Family Guy so only watch few their episodes and like to try a South Park, it seems great.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Feb 4, 2016 12:40 AM

Jan 2015
Comic_Sans said:
semss said:
Lmao yeah I think I read that in an interview in one of the Don Rosa collection books that came out here in Scandinavia a few years ago (they're really nice by the way, I own two of them)

@o@

so he's really popular in europe not just a statement especially in scandinavia, that's make it clear for me, the last story i read is about that quest of kalevala, if i'm not mistaken

Feb 4, 2016 2:04 AM

Mar 2014
semss said:
Comic_Sans said:

@o@

so he's really popular in europe not just a statement especially in scandinavia, that's make it clear for me, the last story i read is about that quest of kalevala, if i'm not mistaken
Hähä sörry lål

I'm not sure about the rest of Europe but yeah Don Rosa and Barks are really popular here in Scandinavia

Donald Duck is still popular in most European countries I think, especially in Scandinavia and Italy
Nico- said:
Feb 4, 2016 2:32 AM

Jan 2015
Comic_Sans said:
semss said:

@o@

Hähä sörry lål

I'm not sure about the rest of Europe but yeah Don Rosa and Barks are really popular here in Scandinavia

Donald Duck is still popular in most European countries I think, especially in Scandinavia and Italy
i think i read it somewhere long ago, but my memory could be mistaken about the detail, but clearly his work appreciated by his fan outside, compared to america, but look like ppl in the future maybbe forgot about him and his work, sadly.. even kid today not buy donald duck comic anymore, especially in my country... if only there some interest to take his work to life, i mean in animated version
karambiaFeb 4, 2016 2:38 AM

Feb 4, 2016 3:05 AM

Jan 2013
Better than anime tbh

Especially in humor. Damn does Japan need to work on that.
Feb 4, 2016 4:33 AM

Apr 2015
Family guy, simpsons, and the cleavelands, watches these.. Although I also watch gravity falls and stevey wonders.
Feb 4, 2016 4:43 AM

Jan 2012
Nope. The last western animation I watched was Legend of Korra's first season and that was it.
I did think of trying Adventure Time after everyone I knew kept pestering me about it but never really got to it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is Kung Fu Panda 4 worth watching (NO SPOILERS)

Fukoku - Mar 24

3 by Fukoku »»
22 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7582 by Maumuu »»
6 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3383 by 3miL »»
7 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4817 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
12 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
Today, 6:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.