Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 29, 2016 6:56 AM

Jan 2016
Lordwen said:
Shimoneta was actually dumb if anything, lol. A dystopia only based on sexuality's repression and well, let's forget about its "humor" for good. I guess that's what you get from someone calling an anime smart anyway.

A dystopia about sexual repression is dumb? Well, if you think so... then the jokes in it becomes dumb too... Then again there are people out there who really wants to repress sexuality...you know, people called 'Puritans' and are pretty serious about it. We see their influence in entertainment with censorship and stuff.

The show plays with that idea(what if the 'Puritans' have taken control over society) and runs with it. All the elements of the show including the humor(even the self censorship the show has is a stroke of genius) which is rooted from that and is executed to perfection.
Jan 29, 2016 7:03 AM

Nov 2009
A lot of people were caught unaware of Rokka no Yuusha being a mystery/detective show, not an action adventure about slaying the demon god.
Jan 29, 2016 7:16 AM

Jun 2015
KonaKoffee4 said:
AltoRoark99 said:

Kill la Kill has many of the typical anime tropes, such as the fanservicey clothing and many other usual shounen tropes. But it's so self-aware that it plays out as a satire.

Episode 4 is a satire of filler episodes. A bunch of crazy shit happens in it, and then the day ends off like nothing ever happened. Also, do you remember the recap? Most viewers expected it to last a whole episode like most but it went by in a heartbeat.

Yup!
KLK is more than just a "fanservice" series. I originally was never going to watch it because I had biased assumptions, but it proved me wrong.

Everyone has their own idea on what it's about, so I kind of got over trying to convince people otherwise lol

If only @Clebardman was here. He could set these people straight easily. :P
Jan 29, 2016 8:01 AM

Jun 2015
CapitalistGod said:
Lordwen said:
Shimoneta was actually dumb if anything, lol. A dystopia only based on sexuality's repression and well, let's forget about its "humor" for good. I guess that's what you get from someone calling an anime smart anyway.

A dystopia about sexual repression is dumb? Well, if you think so... then the jokes in it becomes dumb too... Then again there are people out there who really wants to repress sexuality...you know, people called 'Puritans' and are pretty serious about it. We see their influence in entertainment with censorship and stuff.

The show plays with that idea(what if the 'Puritans' have taken control over society) and runs with it. All the elements of the show including the humor(even the self censorship the show has is a stroke of genius) which is rooted from that and is executed to perfection.
I don't even see how inserting penis and vagina every two sentences makes something funny, to make it perfectly executed humor for pseudo-censoring it all the time. The show by itself had a ridiculous premise, not a smart one whatsoever. And don't misinterpret me there, because a questionable premise can be made into a good result. Only if it were the case. At the end it's just one of those 1-cour shows with incomplete stories that does a whole bunch of nothing.
Jan 29, 2016 8:14 AM

Jan 2016
Lordwen said:
CapitalistGod said:

I don't even see how inserting penis and vagina every two sentences makes something funny, to make it perfectly executed humor for pseudo-censoring it all the time. The show by itself had a ridiculous premise, not a smart one whatsoever. And don't misinterpret me there, because a questionable premise can be made into a good result. Only if it were the case. At the end it's just one of those 1-cour shows with incomplete stories that does a whole bunch of nothing.

I really can't see why the concept of a sexually repressive dystopia is ridiculous. Puritanism is still prevalent and lingering in modern society. A comedy lampooning it is a stroke of genius. The show takes it into consideration that people on that society may not know what sex is and just took the comedy in that direction.

Now, I understand if you may find the humor unfunny since humor is highly subjective but it's not a stupid show.
Jan 29, 2016 11:34 AM

Jan 2013
CapitalistGod said:
Lordwen said:

I really can't see why the concept of a sexually repressive dystopia is ridiculous. Puritanism is still prevalent and lingering in modern society. A comedy lampooning it is a stroke of genius. The show takes it into consideration that people on that society may not know what sex is and just took the comedy in that direction.

Now, I understand if you may find the humor unfunny since humor is highly subjective but it's not a stupid show.

Don't mind him. Some people literally can't see anything past fanservice. It's like a wall of light is hindering their perception.
Jan 29, 2016 6:24 PM

Mar 2015
i probably get hate for this, but rail wars.

ok, i admit that fanservice is overblow, but seriously, the world building is very interesting, they explain train system very well done. also soo may informative about train system i get from this series. but yeah, at least i got dumb enjoyment according to most people i talk with.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 29, 2016 6:42 PM

Jan 2015
>Japanese cartoons
>smrat

Nothing on record atm. Next
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jan 29, 2016 7:51 PM

Oct 2014
Meaning like the antithesis of pretense? So far the only one that really comes to mind is Yuyuko Takemiya's 2 more popular works. I wouldn't use the term "smart", though, probably instead use deeper, or more complex.

Not sure if it's just a victim of being pidgeonholed in the rom/com category, but her works have really interesting underlying themes that I think is greatly undervalued and underappreciated.
Jan 29, 2016 9:28 PM

May 2013
One Punch Man comes to mind, to mention a recent example.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Jan 29, 2016 9:33 PM

Sep 2012
Bokura ga Ita is a soup with the ingredients of philosophical and psychological musing that's packaged as and tastes like a cute and mushy shoujo romance.
Jan 30, 2016 12:30 AM

Jul 2015
Look at what my minions are doing to this place. I don't even need to post anymore, every topic turns into a KlK argument on it's own now. MWAHAHAHAHAHA

OP: it doesn't fit the description, but you should definitely watch Utena.

OT: Kill la Kill obviously, and to a lesser extent everything by or with Imaishi, except Inferno Cop. Inferno Cop is just extremely dumb and hilarious ("I'm immune to your bullets!" "ME TOO!" "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!")
Jan 30, 2016 12:59 AM

Feb 2013
Love Live is actually very smart, it actually tells you how idols are slowly taking over the world.

Jan 30, 2016 1:14 AM

May 2015
ItsMaz said:
One Punch Man since it touches on the effects of depression, and how it can stem from never being challenged.

Really? I'm interested in how. I mostly found it as a nice satire of celebrity culture/popularity contests.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 30, 2016 4:05 AM

Sep 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
ItsMaz said:
One Punch Man since it touches on the effects of depression, and how it can stem from never being challenged.

Really? I'm interested in how. I mostly found it as a nice satire of celebrity culture/popularity contests.

He is unmotivated to do anything in life other than finding a worthy opponent. He struggles with immense boredom due to the fact that he is never being challenged. Unmotivation and boredom are some symptoms of those who suffer from depression.
It can often be found in children who are far more inteligent than they should be for their age and find school too easy, for example.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jan 30, 2016 4:31 AM

Jun 2015
TTGL for me.
Seemed like it was going to be one of those shows that focused solely on style but wound up exploring some neat ideas. It still focused more on style but I was pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and FLCL. I watched it when it first aired and just loved the presentation and randomness. Had no clue how smart it was until a recent rewatch.

Jan 30, 2016 5:25 AM

Dec 2015
codephat said:
TTGL for me.
Seemed like it was going to be one of those shows that focused solely on style but wound up exploring some neat ideas. It still focused more on style but I was pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and FLCL. I watched it when it first aired and just loved the presentation and randomness. Had no clue how smart it was until a recent rewatch.

FLCL is like a drunk homeless man stood on the street corner yelling at passing cars and taking intermittent swigs from a brown paper bag. I'm sure he's trying to make some kind of point, but I just can't cut through the crazy.
Jan 30, 2016 6:12 AM

Sep 2014
Honestly, I really don't see how TTGL is intelligent or something like that.
But I admit It has two points in this show I find ""smart""...(You believe this? I'm gonna say something good to TTGL!!)

-The fact Simon, in the contrary of most of shonen heroes, is come from NOWHERE. He hasn't a special power, hasn't come from a special family, didn't born under a good star or hasn't the savior of a random prophecy. So the message "Believe in yourself and don't give up and you can make great things" is more powerfull than in Naruto or One Piece for instance.

-Simon & Kamina relationship. We discover they need each others. Simon is inspired by Kamina enthusiam and Kamina moves on because Simon believe in him. (but I would like he shows it more cleary)
Frankly, TTGL will be more interesting if It has only those two characters. (And if Kamina isn't such a jerk)

But everything else around this show destroys any chance I'll watch this show with my brain...
Jan 30, 2016 6:20 AM

Jan 2013
Balong said:
Honestly, I really don't see how TTGL is intelligent or something like that.
But I admit It has two points in this show I find ""smart""...(You believe this? I'm gonna say something good to TTGL!!)

-The fact Simon, in the contrary of most of shonen heroes, is come from NOWHERE. He hasn't a special power, hasn't come from a special family, didn't born under a good star or hasn't the savior of a random prophecy. So the message "Believe in yourself and don't give up and you can make great things" is more powerfull than in Naruto or One Piece for instance.

-Simon & Kamina relationship. We discover they need each others. Simon is inspired by Kamina enthusiam and Kamina moves on because Simon believe in him. (but I would like he shows it more cleary)
Frankly, TTGL will be more interesting if It has only those two characters. (And if Kamina isn't such a jerk)

But everything else around this show destroys any chance I'll watch this show with my brain...

Those two main things are super important. It's weird you're going to turn off your brain for it. Is it the fanservice turning you off of it, or the giant robots.
Jan 30, 2016 6:46 AM

Sep 2014
TitanAnteus said:
Those two main things are super important. It's weird you're going to turn off your brain for it. Is it the fanservice turning you off of it, or the giant robots.

They're a part why I hate this show but there is more...
I find most of characters horribly annoying/unlikeable (Kamina) or useless (Yoko) or both (Nyu) for instance but I have made a loooong post to explain what others things get on my nerves int this show...

Jan 30, 2016 7:02 AM

Nov 2013
Kimi to Boku.
i don't know why i crying for watching this anime, lol

someone tell me plz
Jan 30, 2016 7:05 AM

Jan 2013
Balong said:
TitanAnteus said:

I find most of characters horribly annoying/unlikeable (Kamina) or useless (Yoko) or both (Nyu) for instance but I have made a loooong post to explain what others things get on my nerves int this show...

Whoah. Forget I asked.

You took that show too seriously.
Jan 30, 2016 7:07 AM

Aug 2015
Gangsta, takes the raw dark side of bad neighborhoods (ghettos) and explores them from within letting you see how much it can affect people.

Feb 12, 2016 2:54 AM
Mar 2014
TitanAnteus said:
Balong said:

Whoah. Forget I asked.

You took that show too seriously.

He most certainly did not. I'm disappointed in you for not trying to further understand a show you like so much, especially when the guy took so much time to write what he got out of it.

@Balong
Usually I'd type up a long ass response to try and explain it since you actually did get a grasp of some things in the show and just missed the points the show tries to get across with those things, but there's a guy who made a 40 minute long video that addresses pretty much everything you talked about, and it's great. I'd definitely recommend it if you want to actually understand Gurren Lagann and maybe end up liking it. The guy needs more exposure too, since he really is great at this.

If you don't want to watch it, let me know and I might just type it out for you or try to explain it myself, but he does it much better, especially since it's very well edited and much easier to understand as a result.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Feb 12, 2016 2:59 AM

May 2015
MSMM may look like something worse than Hanayamata but in reality, it's about the realtionship between the mains and is really deep
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Feb 12, 2016 3:06 AM

Aug 2013
One of recent anime that surprised me was Yuri Kuma Arashi.
Basically their plot / story unfold as the episode goes on (kinda like baccano?)

Although Im aware it is not for everyone since yuri tone and symbolism everywhere.
As for entertaining, yes it is quite good because it is not your usual animation style.
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Feb 12, 2016 6:28 AM

Sep 2014
omfgplzstop said:

@Balong
Usually I'd type up a long ass response to try and explain it since you actually did get a grasp of some things in the show and just missed the points the show tries to get across with those things, but there's a guy who made a 40 minute long video that addresses pretty much everything you talked about, and it's great. I'd definitely recommend it if you want to actually understand Gurren Lagann and maybe end up liking it. The guy needs more exposure too, since he really is great at this.
If you don't want to watch it, let me know and I might just type it out for you or try to explain it myself, but he does it much better, especially since it's very well edited and much easier to understand as a result.

Then, do your best to explain me why this show is so "smart"....
Because It'll take a great effort to make me like a jerk like Kamina....
BalongFeb 12, 2016 6:32 AM
Feb 12, 2016 6:48 AM
Mar 2014
Balong said:
omfgplzstop said:

@Balong

Then, do your best to explain me why this show is so "smart"....
Because It'll take a great effort to make me like a jerk like Kamina....

I already linked you to the vid. Do you mean you want me to type it out for you? That'll take much more time since I neither have the time to do so atm nor do I really feel the need to repeat something the guy in the video has stressed and explained so well already. He literally addresses all of your points.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Feb 12, 2016 6:57 AM

Oct 2015
We without wings (I forgot the Japanese name) took me completely by surprise. I thought it was a simple, mildly entertaining show with some ridiculously trashy fan service. I don't know what it was that made me want to stick it out, but I'm very glad that I did.
Feb 12, 2016 7:05 AM

Dec 2015
Strawberrycake48 said:
Off the top of my head, I'd say Gintama and Hetalia...
just seem like mindless comedy and parody anime most of the time, but then BAM!
They hit you with feels, politics, and complicated & diverse characters/relationships.

I also had the same idea with Gintama but DAMN! It hit me hard with dem feelings & badass actions.
Feb 12, 2016 7:09 AM

Sep 2014
omfgplzstop said:

I already linked you to the vid. Do you mean you want me to type it out for you? That'll take much more time since I neither have the time to do so atm nor do I really feel the need to repeat something the guy in the video has stressed and explained so well already. He literally addresses all of your points.

Simply the fact, each time I see the characters (especially Kamina) or anything about this show, I just don't want to continue. Yep, I really don't like this show...

So I prefer to read a text without seeing something like this ugly boomerang-like red glasses...
Just try to resume...
Feb 12, 2016 7:45 AM

Apr 2013
Eve no Jikan - Slice of life set in futuristic Tokyo with robots. Don't want to spoil but it pretty much deals with the ethics and morals between how androids/robots should be treated and what rights they should have in comparison to humans, and whether or not androids should be allowed to act with "free will".

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
Feb 12, 2016 8:48 AM

May 2012
I see Kill la Kill more as a satire on the fascistic impulses in Japanese culture with the regimentation imposed by military-styled school uniforms as one example. The show puts it cards on the table in the very first scene where Mikisugi is teaching a class about Hitler.

The screenwriter for KlK, Nakashima Kazuki, also penned a stage play called Oh! Edo Rocket that was adapted into anime by Mizushima Seiji and Madhouse. It satirizes the repression of independent thought and entertainment by the Shogunate via the Tenpou Reforms. Surprisingly those same themes reverberate throughout AKB0048 where entertainment is also banned.

I think the second installment of Gatchaman Crowds, GC Insight, is even deeper than the original series. Once again the theme is fascism though of a friendlier, and thus more dangerous, sort.

Political satire seems pretty uncommon in Japan because of its more authoritarian culture. However, as these examples indicate, shows about political repression and fascism have become more prevalent of late. Probably these types of shows represent a response to the growing pressures and legislation designed to make anime and manga "cleaner" than they used to be. I also suspect that anime creators also tend to lean left and are concerned about the re-emergence of right-wing nationalist politics since Abe became Prime Minister. Kill la Kill and GC Insight in particular seem informed by these concerns.
SeijiSenseiFeb 12, 2016 11:43 AM
Feb 12, 2016 9:34 AM

Jan 2011
post your fav overhyped anime here

Feb 12, 2016 10:33 AM

Sep 2014
Fairy Tail. It really gets me thinking tbh. I never thought that with friendship all problems can be solved. Very well thought out concept. People will be able to look back at anime in the 2100s and realize how far the world has come because of true friendship inspired by Fairy Tail.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 47 minutes ago

1 by MasterTasuke »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 5 hours ago

14 by Lucifrost »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

42 by Doutei-kun »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

30 by 707supremacist »»
7 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

61 by billybub »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.