Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 27, 2016 1:24 AM

Sep 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ahahaha, the Jump Magazine saving Gin's ass. And with that, the shogun arc ends. RIP in Pieces Shogun. Living through all the shit and then to be killed by the likes of a poison needle. The new Shogun can go kill himself 'cause I hate his guts.

Overall I'd say a 9/10 Arc. Didn't like the animation at some points :[. Can't wait for next week; next arc begins.

;_;7
Jan 27, 2016 1:24 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Kagura and Kamui rescue Gintoki and Takasugi. The Shinsengumi disobeying Nobu Nobu is great! We also get some Oboro and Shoyo-sensei (and Nobume) flashbacks. Gintoki/Kagura and Takasugi/Kamui go in separate directions.

Lol, Sougo still trolling. Gintoki with that JUMP magazine T_T. Takasugi’s in coma, so yeah, don’t expect him to go back in action soon. Meanwhile the Shogun decides to leave Edo to gather some comrades to fight against Nobu Nobu and the Tendoshu.

Probably one of the major deaths in Gintama happened today as the Shogun actually got assassinated. The arc title isn’t just for show. Soyo’s letter (which is pretty positive) is pretty sad, and how it was placed made the feels even bigger. Shige Shige died as a brother not as a shogun. R.I.P Shige Shige-sama. Yep, so this event is sure to change the political state in Gintama.

Ovarall great arc. A few animation hiccups and directing choices, but overall packed with amazing action and emotions.

Next arc is the FA arc (not sure if I should actually say the arc name or not ‘cause it might be spoilers). Personally I like the FA arc more than the Shogun Assassination arc, but that’s just me! For those who are disappointed that Katsura wasn’t in this arc, they will sure love the next arc! Next arc should be 9 episodes making it the longest arc in Gintama.

Screenshots:

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerJan 27, 2016 1:31 AM
Jan 27, 2016 1:48 AM
Jul 2014
Quality in terms of storyline was good and similar to the original manga as can be. Quality in terms of art and animation weren't as well as I would have hoped for but hey there's always bd. I cried. Still crying. Probably will cry more with the saraba shinsengumi arc in the following weeks. Dang it if it wasn't for gintama I wouldn't be putting myself through this kind of pain on my birthday( ง ᵒ̌皿ᵒ̌)ง⁼³₌₃
Jan 27, 2016 2:12 AM

Jul 2014
it's like john F. kennedy get killed 50 years ago ..
he was killed by unknown persons.
abgJan 27, 2016 2:32 AM
Jan 27, 2016 2:27 AM

Nov 2013
Great ending to a fantastic arc. 10/10

Can't wait for my most favorite arc to be animated!
Jan 27, 2016 2:41 AM

Dec 2015
my god this episode ;_; just Gintama greatness!
10/10 for this arc despite the art in some eps
Jan 27, 2016 3:14 AM

Feb 2012
It was at this chapter that we manga readers knew....

Shigeshige was dead for sure this time. T_T Thanks for all the great comedy moments Shogun-sama, sleep peacefully. T_T

Great overall arc, really enjoyed it despite some animation and cutting issues, as a manga reader I'm quite happy how they adopted it all.

And I'm hella hyped for the FS arc, they really are going all out huh, real shit starts in this arc lol.

Oboro still the realest.
Jan 27, 2016 3:19 AM

Jul 2014
This episode just killed me, the ending was just amazing! the entrance of that ending song and the whole segment... just... deyum.... I have no words.
Jan 27, 2016 4:17 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
R.I.P. Shigeshige-sama... :'(

The SA arc was totally amazing! Now I can't wait to see what's in the next arc.
Jan 27, 2016 4:20 AM

Nov 2007
So many lives were lost to keep him alive and in the end he lost his life in a place where he was supposed to be protected. The ending was masterfully done. Shigeshige will be missed. Sayanora.

Let's not forget how he lived. :')

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 27, 2016 4:23 AM

Apr 2012
I should have known better then to think for one second Sougo would be nice to Hijikata XP even if he was just giving him a lighter

As for Shigeshige's death and his last few moments with Soyo... ;_; Just thinking of her finding out he's not napping....
Jan 27, 2016 4:24 AM

Dec 2013
RIP. Too many feels. For a moment I actually thought he was going to live through this but apparently not. I'm depressed now ;_;

Overall this was a great arc and next week will be the start of yet another series arc. Hype!
Jan 27, 2016 4:30 AM

Aug 2010
F***! I cried like a little bitch at the end. I don't know if it's just because of the moment but was that the saddest OST I've heard in my life??? Or maybe when I think about it it's gonna be like Dango. Whenever I hear it I'm gonna cry ;_;

Absolutely beautiful ending. RIP Shigeshige (T^T)7
And Soyo's calming voice made it even sadder :*(

The ep was a nice "conclusion" to the arc and nice set up for what's coming.
Loved seeing Loli Nobume/Mukuro. She was being taught by Shoyo too :O
I really wonder what Shoyo meant by he used to plunder from others.

Some nice comedy too. Sougo's troll towards Toshi and Sacchan in Gin's bed were lol

Kamui respecting Kagura was EPIC!!

FS ARC INCOMING
Jan 27, 2016 4:42 AM

Jul 2014
AND HERE ENDS A GREAT MAN.
I'LL ADMIT, I NEARLY CRIED. AND I DON'T CRY MUCH WHEN IT COMES TO FICTION.

And that's why the SA arc is the point of no return, they can't exactly go back to the good old comedy now that one of the regular cast is dead...

But anyway... I think a lot of people would have expected Zura to show up in this arc.
Boy do I miss Zura.

Edit: also, I find it kind of funny that they're talking about the beginning of a new era and stuff, since I just started watching Rurouni Kenshin and that's set in the Meiji period (the one right after the Edo period)
toblynarutoJan 27, 2016 4:45 AM
Jan 27, 2016 4:47 AM

Nov 2011
RIP Shogun. Do you guys realize why we can't go back now after this arc? The world is changing.

Nobume was also taught by Shoyo. Make you wonder how will that affect the future story.

The next arc will just be as epic as this one.

Jan 27, 2016 4:56 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Did anyone notice that the credits and the lyrics at the end had shadows?
Jan 27, 2016 4:56 AM

Jan 2013
Damn, I predicted episodes ago that Shigeshige would die but I didn't think I'd be right (more like I hoped I'd be proven wrong, then I felt at peace until he started seeing those men and I knew someone was going to turn on him).
That last scene was depressing : (

This arc was great. Hyped for the next one!
Jan 27, 2016 5:03 AM

Dec 2007
I cried my eyes out! T^T
Jan 27, 2016 5:10 AM
Dec 2014
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Did anyone notice that the credits and the lyrics at the end had shadows?

Yep i thought it was a really neat touch.
Jan 27, 2016 5:11 AM

Dec 2014
Did the shogun really die . I hope he isn't dead though
Jan 27, 2016 5:12 AM

Mar 2015
Why is it always raining on Wednesdays...

Next arc is going to give us many many great episodes so look forward to it.
Jan 27, 2016 5:14 AM

Dec 2015
Did Bansai get a new voice actor or something? It might be my ears, but he sounded a bit different. It's probably me, though.
Jan 27, 2016 5:16 AM

Aug 2010
45 minutes later...still replaying the last minute over and over.
I'm such a Masochist T^T
Jan 27, 2016 5:16 AM

Apr 2012
ibraheem234 said:
Did the shogun really die . I hope he isn't dead though

Sadly, yeah =/ right when it seemed he was safe...>>;

ZonicTHJan 27, 2016 5:41 AM
Jan 27, 2016 5:24 AM

Feb 2008
Okita the master troll strikes again...

After living through such hardships, falling to a poison needle... A fine ending, nevertheless.
Jan 27, 2016 5:34 AM

Sep 2012
epic...

i read above comments about " poison needle " and how did he fall for it or something like that,
well Shigeshige said that he want to meet them as a friend so he never doubted anyone of them..

Jan 27, 2016 5:46 AM

Mar 2014
All the bloodshed in vain, he eventually did die. Great arc

Please people refrain from spoilers especially with the names of the upcoming arcs. I don't want to go read the manga just because of some folks can't contain their fanboying.
Jan 27, 2016 5:48 AM

Jan 2016
I was a little bit disappointed by this episode, I don't know how to explain it but after all those fights the shogun finally died T_T ...
Anyway it was a great arc, probably the best arc in Gintama so far. I liked the action, we got to know about Gintoki's past and that Gintoki vs Shinsuke fight was just epic.
I'm looking forward to see what'll happen in the next arc.
Jan 27, 2016 5:50 AM

Dec 2015
Repose said:
Did Bansai get a new voice actor or something? It might be my ears, but he sounded a bit different. It's probably me, though.

yeah my thought's the same, and if it's true I kinda like the old voice more ._.
Jan 27, 2016 5:56 AM
Dec 2014
Katsurap-da-yo said:
Repose said:

yeah my thought's the same, and if it's true I kinda like the old voice more ._.

Nup, it's the same voice actor.
Jan 27, 2016 6:02 AM

Nov 2007

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 27, 2016 6:06 AM

Dec 2015
Repose said:
treedude said:

Nup, it's the same voice actor.

Huh..maybe he was sick or his voice has changed a bit over the years. I really think it sounded deeper and different.

But actually, I can't remember the last time I heard him say anything, it was the first time in this arc, right? And last time was...Odds or Evens? I don't know >_>

again, my thought's exactly XD

#longlive30limit
Jan 27, 2016 6:15 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
That ending reminded me quite a bit of the Chimera Ant arc to say the least

Still seems to be quite a lot of aftermath to clear up from this before we can move on though, but I guess that's why we get a new arc right away starting next week

Think I'd have liked SA more if everyone hadn't been hyping up as the second coming of Christ but I'd still give it an 8.5/10 or so
Jan 27, 2016 6:42 AM
Jul 2014
THIS IS WHY WE LOVE GINTAMA!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT FOR NEXT ARC!!!! Gin-SAAAAAAANNNNNN!!! :* :D
Jan 27, 2016 6:43 AM
Jun 2008
MUST.....NOT....CRY.....MUST.....NOT........BUAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!
Jan 27, 2016 6:58 AM

Jan 2012
It was a great final ep for the arc as they made the tensions quite high class. Overall, I think they adapted the arc pretty well but of course like everyone says the animation was pretty bad at some point in the story but at some other extremly good.

Now I guess there is no turning back for all those comedy chapters that got skipped then, oh well, Now I"m just worried if they are going to be low on budget for the upcoming arc which in my opinion is my favourite in the entire series.

Please stuido don"t screw this arc up!
How I love a game
Jan 27, 2016 7:14 AM

Apr 2012
Zack312 said:
It was a great final ep for the arc as they made the tensions quite high class. Overall, I think they adapted the arc pretty well but of course like everyone says the animation was pretty bad at some point in the story but at some other extremly good.

Now I guess there is no turning back for all those comedy chapters that got skipped then, oh well, Now I"m just worried if they are going to be low on budget for the upcoming arc which in my opinion is my favourite in the entire series.

I thought they only skipped one arc o_o were there others ?

and the entire time I was alittle worried that at the end of this arc they'd stop the anime like they did with the other three Gintama anime
Jan 27, 2016 7:25 AM

Jan 2012
Shogun-sama :(

One of my favourite Gintama characters....
Jan 27, 2016 7:34 AM

Jan 2012
[quote=ZonicTH message=44445054]
Zack312 said:

I thought they only skipped one arc o_o were there others ?

and the entire time I was alittle worried that at the end of this arc they'd stop the anime like they did with the other three Gintama anime[/

Actually Its like 5 comedy arcs that they are skipping plus some single chapters stories. Well, as much as I think Its a Pity that they didn't animate all of them I should be glad that the series manage to animate most arcs that were in some way plot related to this arcs right now
How I love a game
Jan 27, 2016 7:39 AM

Jun 2015
OMFG someone tell me this is an alternate bad end, and we get to see a route where the shogun lives!!!
Jan 27, 2016 7:52 AM

Nov 2011
Splakitengteng said:
OMFG someone tell me this is an alternate bad end, and we get to see a route where the shogun lives!!!

I'd tell you but then I would be lying.

Jan 27, 2016 7:59 AM
Dec 2013
Shogun Assassination Arc is finally over. Great ending IMOHO. Saraba da, Tokugawa Shigeshige AKA SHOGUN KAYO. But the bad news for me, FSA is starting next week; I'm not yet ready for another serious arc. SA is one heck of a train wreck for my feels and mind...
lagba2Jan 27, 2016 9:28 AM

NANDESUKA KORE?
Jan 27, 2016 8:19 AM
Jul 2018
Damn, I didn't see that ending coming :'(
Jan 27, 2016 8:27 AM

Jul 2015
Bow full of fights to save the Shogun and in the end he dies ;-;
Jan 27, 2016 8:32 AM

Sep 2013
The arc was good, but it's one of the lowest serious arcs to me.

ShigeShige wanted democracy? XD
Jan 27, 2016 8:33 AM

Jun 2013
so it finally comes to an end it was an awesome arc to say the least oh shit the poor shogun
Jan 27, 2016 8:43 AM

Jul 2014
Preferred the manga over the anime. The visuals and animation were really off putting at times and it doesn't help that Sorachi's art improved. His panels and artwork was amazing and the anime couldn't measure up to it, especially when most of the staff changed.

The manga is way better than the anime tbh. I am still pissed they skipped so many good arcs just for the Shogun Assassination and Saraba Shinsengumi. It would have nice to see the Mimawarigumi chapter animated as they are important in this later arc. The Ikumatsu Arc might be important for later when it comes to the future of Zura. The Kagura Boyfriend Arc really shows how important her Earth family and her real family is to her which is vital for later parts of the current arc.

Jan 27, 2016 8:46 AM

Oct 2014
Shoguns death was better in the anime than in the manga.

The OST when Shogun went to sleep on Soyos lap shouldve been better tbh.

Jan 27, 2016 8:47 AM

Jul 2015
Ok No time for Jokes after witnessing a tragedy, dem another epic arc will begins 」( ̄▽ ̄」)
Jan 27, 2016 8:50 AM

Jan 2013
i knew this would happen since it was foreshadowed all over the place and i did not like shogun anyway
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

251 by ThalosShrine »»
Apr 15, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Jan 13, 2016

251 by Nymbris »»
Mar 10, 6:09 AM

» Thoughts on this season (Spoilers)

RahulSenpai - Mar 8

13 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Mar 10, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 38 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

-Stray - Dec 23, 2015

140 by Nymbris »»
Mar 10, 3:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.