Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 29, 2015 2:59 PM

Sep 2014
I don't get it. I watched many long running shounen anime with tons of fillers and enjoyed every single part of them. I even read the manga of some of them and thought the fillers were so well made. They are just like OVAs so if you liked the anime, you'd want to see more, right? What exactly makes you think "fillers, ugh, need to skip them" when you wouldn't have if they were extra chapters in the manga?! It's so weird!
I'd think that it's because some people just wanna rush through an anime, but why rush through it when you willingly started it? Why not just drop it if it makes you bored?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 29, 2015 3:00 PM

Oct 2014
because they are useless and boring as fuck
Dec 29, 2015 3:02 PM

Aug 2014
Long series are already way to long as it is. Why waste your time watching a bunch of filler when you could watch multiple 11-25 episode series of far superior quality.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Dec 29, 2015 3:02 PM

Sep 2014
gabrielrroiz said:
because they are useless and boring
They wouldn't be boring if you liked the characters and were invested enough in the anime itself.
Dec 29, 2015 3:03 PM

Aug 2014
Because some fillers are terribly placed (like Bleach's that just appears randomly in the middle of a seriouc arc), and quite often those fillers are a hit or miss.
Dec 29, 2015 3:03 PM
Jul 2015
gabrielrroiz said:
because they are useless and boring as fuck
this, they rarely contribute anything worthwhile and often detract from a series in general. Of course there are exceptions however
Dec 29, 2015 3:04 PM

Sep 2014
black1bait said:
Long series are already way to long as it is. Why waste your time watching a bunch of filler when you could watch multiple 11-25 episode series of far superior quality.
But they help you know more about the characters and what they would do in their free time for example. I would want to know that if I liked the anime. Filler arcs are also fun if you like the anime. If I didn't like it, I would drop it fillers or not.
Dec 29, 2015 3:04 PM

Apr 2015
Most fillers start and end with the status quo preserved, every character being the same as they started out. That's why they're called fillers...they're there to fill time until the relevant stuff comes along.
Dec 29, 2015 3:06 PM

Aug 2014
yaoi_renee said:
black1bait said:
But they help you know more about the characters and what they would do in their free time for example. I would want to know that if I liked the anime. Filler arcs are also fun if you like the anime. If I didn't like it, I would drop it fillers or not.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose but if I wanted SOL I would watch SOL and if I wanted a show with a plot then I would watch a show with a decent plot and good pacing- fillers really fuck with story pacing.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Dec 29, 2015 3:08 PM

Jan 2014
Fillers done well are good and can sometimes not be a bad thing at all. One thing I disliked about Fairy Tail was how quickly one major even led to another. With Fairy Tail being so dramatic, two filler episodes in between the arcs is no where enough. (Especially when Luccy is always the cause of stuff).

Naruto Shippuden, on the other hand, is a perfect example of how fuller can ruin a great series. If I remember correct, I heard somewhere that Naruto Shippuden only had 8 cannon episodes this whole year. The fillers aren't even interesting.

Bleach's Zanpakutō Rebellion was actually a good filler arc but Naruto can't get that stuff right.

Dec 29, 2015 3:09 PM

Oct 2014
yaoi_renee said:
I don't get it. I watched many long running shounen anime with tons of fillers and enjoyed every single part of them. I even read the manga of some of them and thought the fillers were so well made. They are just like OVAs so if you liked the anime, you'd want to see more, right? What exactly makes you think "fillers, ugh, need to skip them" when you wouldn't have if they were extra chapters in the manga?! It's so weird!
I'd think that it's because some people just wanna rush through an anime, but why rush through it when you willingly started it? Why not just drop it if it makes you bored?
Fillers are trash, but those who make the fillers are worse than trash.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Dec 29, 2015 3:09 PM

Jul 2011
Because they don't contribute to the plot and sometimes they even contradict canon stuff.
Even if some character get some development during filler,said development can be negated the moment in which the canon stuff it's back.
Dec 29, 2015 3:11 PM

Jan 2014
Horatio_Nelson said:
yaoi_renee said:
Fillers are trash, but those who make the fillers are worse than trash.

Hahahaha

-
Your message must contain 30 characters except BBCode tags and quotes.

Dec 29, 2015 3:15 PM

Sep 2014
Acheroh said:
Fillers done well are good and can sometimes not be a bad thing at all. One thing I disliked about Fairy Tail was how quickly one major even led to another. With Fairy Tail being so dramatic, two filler episodes in between the arcs is no where enough. (Especially when Luccy is always the cause of stuff).
Reasonable. On contrary though, in my opinion, I thought Fairy Tail managed a great pace to the episodes and the change of arcs, just with the good amount of episodes in between for picky people not to be bored (I'm not picky myself, I would watch 100 episodes between every arc if it had a good story to it, where I get to see more of the characters.)
Dec 29, 2015 3:17 PM
Jul 2015
I do like fillers, they are funny and get to see our characters in a lighter athmosphere. Also helps me to relax and forget about all the shit that's going on for a little.
The problem is when they put fillers in the worst possible moment, like before a final battle or something.
Dec 29, 2015 3:19 PM

Sep 2014
FrozenWhiskers said:
I do like fillers, they are funny and get to see our characters in a lighter athmosphere. Also helps me to relax and forget about all the shit that's going on for a little.
The problem is when they put fillers in the worst possible moment, like before a final battle or something.
Oh goodness, finally somebody I agree with! I still don't think they are bad when they make sense, not just cut through important scenes ^o^
Dec 29, 2015 3:21 PM

Sep 2015
- I probably wouldn't watch the OVAs for a long running series; there's enough episodes already
- It's often times poorly placed. When the anime catches up to the manga in the middle of a fight, and suddenly there's 30 new episodes to go through before you can get back to that fight... (Bleach, I'm looking at you) it just makes you want to skip through them to get back to where you were
- There seems to be little thought put into a lot of filler and it just ends up being really stupid and nonsensical

So yeah, a lot of the time filler is just unenjoyable, and can't really be compared to OVAs.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Dec 29, 2015 3:23 PM
Dec 2013
Just recently watched episode 126 of Fairy Tail, a filler episode which involved the Butt Jiggle Gang, and it's one of the worst and disgusting episodes of anime I've seen, let alone the worst episode of Fairy Tail. Filler episodes just always feel like a waste of time because they're usually not as good as canon episodes, and they're sometimes stupid and just not fun to watch. I hear that Sailor Moon (1992)'s fillers are worth watching, though (and supposedly make the overall show better).
wildhoodDec 29, 2015 6:30 PM
Dec 29, 2015 3:25 PM

Jan 2013
Much of fillers are not welcomed at all. It's all right for a few scenes but the entire episode? ...yeah not really interested. There are some exceptions that are done quite well especially if the original author is involved but those are the rare ones I've come across. The bad thing on fillers too is they can introduce elements that contradict the original storyline or introduce plot holes. For some anime's where I don't know the source material I can sometimes feel a filler is being done and I start to lose focus on the anime. This has happened to me several times. I agree with leonstone, the many I seen it is like they don't even try especially if it's a long episode count. I just can't comprehend it how can they not know about the source material being involved so long and fail on fillers? It's bad enough watching bad adaptions but bad fillers too? Come on now...
Dec 29, 2015 3:32 PM

Jun 2015
yaoi_renee said:
gabrielrroiz said:
because they are useless and boring
They wouldn't be boring if you liked the characters and were invested enough in the anime itself.

Too bad most of the time they deviate from the main style, and look dumb. There ARE good fillers, but most of them are pretty bad. IMO at least.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Dec 29, 2015 3:36 PM

Mar 2015
Becausese fillers have nothing to do with the main story and ruin the pacing of the anime,.
Dec 29, 2015 3:38 PM

Jun 2011
JumpinJC said:
Just recently watched episode 126 of Fairy Tail, a filler episode which involved the Butt Jiggle Gang, and it's one of the worst and disgusting episodes of anime I've seen, let alone the worst episode of Fairy Tail. They just always feel like a waste of time because they're usually not as good as canon episodes, and they're sometimes stupid and just not fun to watch. I hear that Sailor Moon (1992)'s fillers are worth watching, though (and supposedly make the overall show better).
It's not just a single filler episode, that episode belongs to a whole filler arc (Key of the starry sky). I'm watching it right now too ;p
The other arcs are better, but I still enjoy this one.
I'm feeling thank you
Dec 29, 2015 3:41 PM

Sep 2013
Filler episodes cannot change or contradict anything that is canon (or rather schould not). So, fillers have no influence on the overall show and the story returns at the end to where it was before the fillers. This leads to most of them being boring and/or of bad quality and often the additional characterization or world building is contradicted throug the canon content later on. Long story short, they are a waste of time.
Dec 29, 2015 3:48 PM

Aug 2013
I only understand the hate when it's for something ongoing. You can just skip it otherwise.
Though I guess everything must of been ongoing at some point, so it's probably just an ever lasting bias a lot people are gonna have that were invested in the plot of certain shows. /shrug

Some fillers can be good.
Dec 29, 2015 3:52 PM

Sep 2015
You don't want to wait a week to get a filler episode of your chinese cartoon.

You just lost the game
Dec 29, 2015 3:56 PM
Dec 2012
Acheroh said:

Naruto Shippuden, on the other hand, is a perfect example of how fuller can ruin a great series. If I remember correct, I heard somewhere that Naruto Shippuden only had 8 cannon episodes this whole year. The fillers aren't even interesting.

Bleach's Zanpakutō Rebellion was actually a good filler arc but Naruto can't get that stuff right.
Naruto is a perfect example of a series where the author puts minimal effort into it and gets praised to high heavens so the fillers are just as fitting for series like that. The fillers aren't ending until mid 2016 anyway.
Dec 29, 2015 3:56 PM
Sep 2014
They suck, and annoying when you get caught up to a long running shounen.

Filler are an instant -1 in score for me
Dec 29, 2015 3:58 PM
Feb 2011
The fillers usually make me like the main characters less and less. That's how bad and worthless they are.
dfsafsafDec 29, 2015 4:03 PM
Dec 29, 2015 4:02 PM

Jan 2015
Tylaen said:
Most fillers start and end with the status quo preserved, every character being the same as they started out. That's why they're called fillers...they're there to fill time until the relevant stuff comes along.

This....

#fuckthecharacterlimit.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Dec 29, 2015 4:03 PM

Apr 2014
Most filler offers little to no development towards the character and the storyline while creating it still takes a considerable amount of money and effort to make.
Why waste something that could be used to polished the main storyline production on something that mostly not even relevant to the story.
That's the reason why most people hate filler.
But in fact for a long running series adapted from ongoing manga, a filler is absolute necessary to avoid catching up to manga.
And they can't take hiatus, there's a contract between the TV Station, that's why they make filler to fulfill those contract.
tr1ckst3rDec 29, 2015 4:06 PM
Dec 29, 2015 4:04 PM

Sep 2013
I blame naruto.
Ruining "anime original" name and making it into "filler".
ichii_1Dec 29, 2015 4:16 PM
Dec 29, 2015 4:13 PM

Jan 2008
People complain all they want about the TV series fillers but rarely do you see complained about a movie or special that's non-canon or doesn't affect the main series.

I honestly think it's more because it simply doesn't follow the manga, as simple as that. These people want perfect adaptions, no side stories, get to the point, etc. For starters, anime only watchers wouldn't even know if something was or wasn't a filler, only way would be actually looking it up or people who've read/played the sourcec posting crap in the comments.
Dec 29, 2015 4:16 PM

Sep 2014
Paul said:
People complain all they want about the TV series fillers but rarely do you see complained about a movie or special that's non-canon or doesn't affect the main series.

I honestly think it's more because it simply doesn't follow the manga, as simple as that. These people want perfect adaptions, no side stories, get to the point, etc. For starters, anime only watchers wouldn't even know if something was or wasn't a filler, only way would be actually looking it up or people who've read/played the sourcec posting crap in the comments.
This is exactly what I was getting at. Thank you.
Dec 29, 2015 4:17 PM

Mar 2015
filler in here is original anime material, or something that don't contribute to plot in general?
i dislike the first part usually, except it have to do and executed well (which is rarely case).
for second part, as long as it entertaining, i don't have any problem.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 29, 2015 4:19 PM

Apr 2014
Paul said:

Fillers come out at the expense of the canon material while Movie/Special is in completely different format that as far as I know, never hindering the flow of the canon material in the TV Series.
tr1ckst3rDec 29, 2015 4:23 PM
Dec 29, 2015 4:20 PM

Aug 2015
because they're boring
30 30 30 characters??

☁ cyborg robot squirrels ☁
Dec 29, 2015 4:22 PM

Jan 2013
Paul said:

It's pretty obvious which episodes are fillers in long running anime.

this is a pretty baseless assumption.
Dec 29, 2015 4:23 PM
Mar 2013
Fillers can be good or bad. A lot of people forget that.

However, that doesn't change the fact that they essentially pointless. Any characters, powers, , locations, items or character development from them will be forgotten afterwards. In some rare cases, these things will be mentioned again but it is usually brief. This brings us to the question: Why waste time watching something that ultimately contributes nothing when you could skip them and watch the episodes that actually impact the story?

I don't really mind fillers too much personally. But if I had to choose between fillers and canon I would always choose canon.
Dec 29, 2015 4:23 PM

Oct 2014
Paul said:

OVAs, specials and Movies are more like an optional way for the viewer to know more and "invest the characters" but fillers in TV aren't, I would like you to take this in consideration

I have to agree tho, many people complain about fillers, they might be enjoyable, but not every filler is enjoyable and/or really investing something valuable in the characters or the story, so I gotta say it depends on the main tv series, how good is the filler and how much does it add to our view of the characters, story etc ..

Dec 29, 2015 4:24 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Just a little is alright ... but the naruto-level of filler is a big no.
DatRandomDudeDec 29, 2015 4:25 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 29, 2015 4:28 PM

Jan 2014
When said fillers make up more than 40% of the show, people have a right to give a damn about them.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Dec 29, 2015 4:29 PM

Jan 2013
yaoi_renee said:

You're being a bit closeminded.

What exactly makes you think "fillers, ugh, need to skip them" when you wouldn't have if they were extra chapters in the manga?! It's so weird!

Did you ever stop to think and realize that manga "fillers" don't ever last more than a few chapters, if that. Compared to, say Naruto shitpooden, which had 8 canon episodes this year. 44/52(?) episodes were filler. Nobody is going to drop a manga with hundreds of chapters, over 1 or 2 fillers here and there. That's a ridiculous comparison.

This statement makes zero sense. Are you asking people not to judge an anime because of its fillers? If fillers impact a person's enjoyment in watching a series, they have all the right to judge and dislike the fillers. Maybe they don't drop it, because they still enjoy the actual show outside of the fillers?
Dec 29, 2015 4:29 PM

May 2015
Honestly I don't mind the odd filler, they can be enjoyable. Although, anime like Bleach have filler ARCS in the middle of a fight scene... Like wtf.
Dec 29, 2015 4:30 PM

Sep 2014
shuryukan said:

I have to disagree. I never noticed the fillers from Fairy Tail, Gintama, D. Gray-man and Hunter x Hunter.
I reread the manga for Fairy Tail and DGM but also still didn't find much difference in the main story.
Dec 29, 2015 4:34 PM

Jan 2013
yaoi_renee said:
shuryukan said:

I have to disagree. I never noticed the fillers from Fairy Tail, Gintama, D. Gray-man and Hunter x Hunter.
I reread the manga for Fairy Tail and DGM but also still didn't find much difference in the main story.

Fairy tail - if you can't tell which episodes are filler, I really don't know what to say lol. That's just your lack of perception.

Gintama - is for the most part sol comedy. Why you even brought gintama up is questionable. Not to mention Gintama doesn't even have that many actual filler episodes to begin with.

Hunter x hunter - you do realize there are like 2 filler episodes in the ENTIRETY of the series right? 2/148. Ofc you wouldn't notice.

haven't wacthed DGM.
Dec 29, 2015 4:40 PM
Mar 2013
shuryukan said:
Fairy tail - if you can't tell which episodes are filler, I really don't know what to say lol. That's just your lack of perception.
I didn't know they were fillers when I first watched FT either...

DGM has really good fillers though. I can vouch for that.
Dec 29, 2015 4:40 PM

Sep 2014
shuryukan said:
Did you ever stop to think and realize that manga "fillers" don't ever last more than a few chapters, if that. Compared to, say Naruto shitpooden, which had 8 canon episodes this year. 44/52(?) episodes were filler. Nobody is going to drop a manga with hundreds of chapters, over 1 or 2 fillers here and there. That's a ridiculous comparison.
I never watched Naruto, but I would probably enjoy it having not read the manga. What if it was an original source-less series?! Nobody would even bother with complaining because those episodes would become canon as well. Maybe I'm being "closed minded" but as I have previously stated, if I liked an anime, I would enjoy it filler or not.

shuryukan said:
This statement makes zero sense. Are you asking people not to judge an anime because of its fillers? If fillers impact a person's enjoyment in watching a series, they have all the right to judge and dislike the fillers. Maybe they don't drop it, because they still enjoy the actual show outside of the fillers?
Rushing through an anime is the worst thing a person can do to himself. It makes them dislike it; and that's where I was getting at. I'm not going to force people to like fillers, but they shouldn't bash an anime for having a lot of them, as long as they make sense which most of them do.
reiyniiDec 29, 2015 4:41 PM
Dec 29, 2015 4:41 PM

Jun 2015
Tylaen said:
^ the problem is not canon vs original. The problem is that they don't have any nature of progression
Dec 29, 2015 4:42 PM

Jan 2008
shuryukan said:
Paul said:

I'm sure it would be for more experienced viewers with the mentality of "oh, this is a long going series, it's gonna have fillers, I better look out for them" versus the more casual viewers who simply just watch whats in front of them.

Not all fillers are long either, One Piece for example has several small filler episodes scattered throughout the entire series I'm sure even experienced viewers wouldn't notice unless they've read the manga and it's not like fillers are in long running anime only.

And don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm on the side of fillers, it's just I find people to look down a series too often because of fillers. Skip them if they're a such bother.
PaulDec 29, 2015 4:46 PM
Dec 29, 2015 4:42 PM

Jan 2013
JD2411 said:
shuryukan said:
I didn't know they were fillers when I first watched FT either...

DGM has really good fillers though. I can vouch for that.

You didn't know eps 125-150 and ~205-225 were fillers?

Are you guys trolling me now, or were you guys oblivious to the random changes in storyline and overall decrease in quality of production?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is there any hentai manga/anime with great plot ? I mean the story is better than the sex scenes.

GoodBoy0069 - 35 minutes ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 28

43 by Yonahim_Zz »»
5 minutes ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre?

decco6226 - 7 hours ago

18 by Multilynx »»
14 minutes ago

» Can background characters be best girls?

Catalano - 5 hours ago

11 by Ahiru89 »»
18 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - May 1

98 by Nerdcatlady »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.