Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 19, 2015 10:32 AM

Jun 2014
Well this final fight, while predictable, was entertaining to watch and was decent. I liked the animation of it as well, and how they used the OP during the fight (no climactic final battle is complete without the OP playing in the background).

While it had its moments, this show didn't feel like anything special, 3-4/10 for me (I'll probably stick with 4 for now, but I could lower later). I'll still watch the second season in April to see what happens, especially after that cliffhanger, but I won't expect much from it (not sure why I was expecting much from this season now that I think about it).
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 19, 2015 10:32 AM

Sep 2013
8/10 that sisterly bonding :'(
The vampire sisters lost :'(
But the vampire lux got destroyed, will she use a normal one now? :(

Ayato's secret is out, and new characters teased :O
Dec 19, 2015 10:37 AM
Oct 2014
Always loved the transition to the ending. Cannot wait for second cour.
Dec 19, 2015 10:52 AM

Mar 2014
that was some nice animation during the fight
Dec 19, 2015 11:25 AM

Jun 2013
i think his face went into rotoscope mode when ha did that attack fucking weird
Dec 19, 2015 11:32 AM

Sep 2015
Yes the fight was predictable. But to me what gets me watching a series like this is the characters. Irene is such an interesting character that I can't help but love how her little story is playing out so far. Also the little bit at the end . I'm sure anyone can guess what's gonna happen but for me it's all about how it's gonna happen with these characters. I'm invested in their stories and look forward to how they achieve them. Looking forward to Spring's continuation.

Credit goes to the guys at Minimalistic-Animoo Deviantart Group for the vectors.
Dec 19, 2015 11:41 AM

Dec 2011
And the kissing scene got interrupted. >.<

Will look forward to the second season.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 19, 2015 11:59 AM

Nov 2011
i need more Claudia
2nd season better give me more.
Hate Keeps me warm
Dec 19, 2015 12:02 PM

Apr 2014
Hm....meh.
During the fight Julis look a bit chubby...lol
Too many questions still left unanswered...
7/10, don't mind a second season.
Dec 19, 2015 12:06 PM

Jul 2012
A real good episode to end the season with backstory, action, good music, and a lot of build up to the next season. For this episode It was really interesting to learn more about Irene and Priscilla's past and how everything happened which added to the build up of this final fight and overall the fight was good. It wasn't like amazing and fast paced but it was cool to see the strategy and synergy of Ayato and Julis and right when the OP came on I was hyped man seeing Ayato destroy that scythe was awesome! But now of course everyone knows Ayato's weakness and looks like he has a lot of eyes on him which will be interesting for the next season. I was so excited for that kiss at the end but of course this is a harem but was funny to see the face to oppai moment though lol. Last was the mysterious guy at the end which will probably be something big in the next season and I can't wait for it!

Here is my full review on the episode and season overall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTncR6dBEYE&feature=youtu.be
Dec 19, 2015 12:11 PM

Aug 2011
Wow so we finally saw a glimpse of the villain at the end?!
Looking forward to more details ..... in April.... T_T I hate waiting

I'd give this show an 8/10. I liked pretty much everything about it but the characters felt a bit flat to me. But whatever, hyped for April now.
Dec 19, 2015 12:14 PM

Feb 2015
if i was the director, i will make it more better that this. seriously, i'm a little bit disappointed with this episode. i thought they will end it with a good cliffhanger, like put the ED animation themed aside and put only the song while Ayato went berserk and then end.... that would be more better to me. but it's not like i hate this one. i like it too, but i felt a little bit of a disappointment to this episode. the fight was pretty good, not amazing and intense, just good. i hope for more good fight in the season 2.
i give this 9/10 just becasue i enjoy it. the art was really good, the fight sometimes felt good too, the plot was meh.... the soundtrack was really nice and i enjoy it. if i enjoy it, usually i give it a 9/10.
Dec 19, 2015 12:22 PM
Jul 2018
This episode (and the series overall) was just ok, not amazing and not terrible, just ok; though, I found it quite funny that a minute or so of the end was spent moving between a handful of character, all of them saying the same thing (pretty much)--One character: "So, that Ayato has a limiter too...I guess we don't have to worry about him..."; Other character: "I don't know about that, I feel like there are still a few surprises out there..." | So, basically, all the other characters on the show were saying, over and over again, "I bet y'all watching think you know what's going to happen next, but you don't!" 'cause, of course, that's what any show ever wants to achieve; I just got a few chuckles out of that. :P
Dec 19, 2015 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
It was so good! The last fight scene was the best.

Julis was almost close to kiss Ayato! I really liked how the three girls came in the room and hugged him!
Dec 19, 2015 12:24 PM

Sep 2014
A decent series for me 7/10. Will watch the second cour in april I think.
Dec 19, 2015 12:28 PM
Oct 2013
Well, if only people who rant pay attention to the details in anime instead just skim through it (if you think it's deliberately put in there you are so wrong), and the dialogue spoken by the characters...
Well, I just knew Gakusen's not suitable to become an anime, because of many foreshadowing it have, and deliberate way of the author to reveal the mysteries later in the novel..
Rakudai just suitable for someone who wanted a straightforward shounen and a simple world building, the non harem is treat for them too I guess, although as I have read both Rakudai and Asterisk, clearly Rakudai is more inferior to Asterisk in terms of story and world building...

8/10 for Asterisk s1 and they shouldn't make it a split core, it's a bad move because of course people will forget this first part and the details it have in it..
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Dec 19, 2015 12:46 PM

Mar 2013
Nice generic angsty backstory, your imouto's still annoying as sin though.

I also haven't seen rotoscoping that obvious since Aku no Hana lmfao.

3/10, not bothering with season 2. Genuinely terrible show. Even Claudia couldn't save it.
Dec 19, 2015 12:50 PM

May 2015
That was a decent ending, enjoyed the episode. Fight was pretty damn good. Even though that ending was generic, I liked it. Definitely looking forward to the second cour. This show was one of the shows that I enjoyed the most this season, so 9/10.

Dec 19, 2015 12:56 PM

Jan 2015
Sylvia-sama!!!! 6/5 just for her. Fight was nicely animated. 2nd season is going to be a whole lot better than this one.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Dec 19, 2015 1:03 PM

Jan 2013
Epic episode!!! What a great ending of the 1st season.
That fight was epic, Ayato too strong, nerf please ahahaha
That vision he had with the sword, was that his sister and blood? Is she dead?Because in the end we can see her glasses on the ground with blood so she is probably dead...because if she is alive, i bet they will fight in the finals :/
Irene & Priscilla life story..at least we know what happened to them and how they ended up in that tournament.
Claudia "healing" Ayato ahahaha 10/10 I mean Claudia,Kirin & Saya healing Ayato too good :D
I loved this anime more than i expected, really good plot & story. A strong 8/8.
(Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry is also very good), they are both very similar animes, and both are great.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Dec 19, 2015 1:53 PM

Oct 2014
"I wonder how this is gonna end?" With the ending theme of course followed by a next season preview! Don't you watch anime?

Accidental fourth wall breaking ftw. Best two episodes of the show. Still was meh overall but at least its not all terrible.
Dec 19, 2015 2:36 PM

Aug 2014
Alright, I've gotta ask: was that almost-kiss in the LN as well, or was it just bait for the second season?

Aside from that, the episode was okay+. The fight was nice (even though I expected Ayato to destroy the scythe with a bit more zeal), and I liked how the evil Ogre Lux was destroyed, instead of the vampire befriending it or some crap like that. The two sisters... seem really close. Nevermind, good for them.

The hugs could've been easily skipped for a bit more of what's to come, but eh... I guess it's inevitable for a harem anime. Needles to say I have no idea what the ending scene means or who that guy was.

To be honest, I enjoyed this anime, more so than Rakudai, surprisingly. It's nothing too special, but it's definitely above your average harem.

- The characters were... meh, for the most part, but they're okay.
- The story seems good, though I wish we were told more.
- Animation was good for the most part, the art was pretty cool.
- Soundtrack was definitely appealing.
- Enjoyment was overall above average for me.

I'll definitely watch the second season. I'm going to be a filthy casual for this series, and rate it higher than it actually deserves:

Final episode: 4/5
Series overall: 7/10

What I'll most miss about this anime is that glorious ending theme. It's just amazing, ending of the season without a doubt.

Dragon_Slayer_X said:

Ser-Veresta in the novel looks way bigger than it does in the anime.
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Dec 19, 2015 3:00 PM

Feb 2015
Decent but predictable episode. The series has some great animation and a fantastic soundtrack. However it struggled to be different from the endless battle anime's we get every year. It's a shame its gone down the generic harem route as Cavalierly went down the full on romance route and was far more satisfying and added to the character development.

That said I've quite enjoyed the series and will be watching the second season 7/10
Dec 19, 2015 3:07 PM

Aug 2013
I really like the ending. The fight scene was better than the last one and I'm glad turn out a little longer than I expected. Saya is still best girl and I like the foreshadows in this episode. Ayato and Julis's relationship seems to progress a little but I'll wait and see where it goes in Season 2. Nice to see it's getting a second season so I'm definitely going to watch it. I hope it Ayato finds more clues about his sister in the next season. 8.5 out 10.
Dec 19, 2015 3:10 PM

Jul 2009
Noxeria said:
Mediocre, yet mundane series which had pretty much average storyline, characters and soundtracks. All that I loved is an ending song.
Grade - C (5/10)

This.

Could be a little better but well, let's see how this will go with the 2nd cour.
Dec 19, 2015 3:17 PM

Oct 2011
Everyone knows his secret. Hopes he overcomes it in the next season.
Dec 19, 2015 3:21 PM

Mar 2013
8/10, Looking froward to 2nd season. Only knock is this is more base on a Harem and Rakudai is more love story. I like the bond Ikki and Stella has over Ayato and Julis + the rest of the girls.
zetsubousei_heroDec 19, 2015 3:24 PM
Dec 19, 2015 4:11 PM

Jul 2015
7/10. Pretty decent. Liked it overall but wasn't anything special. Definitely watching season 2 in april. Hopefully things get better from there
Dec 19, 2015 4:27 PM

Aug 2013
Great end, I quite liked of the fights in the latter episode, as well as the development that left for the next battles, Ayato ended up revealing his secret, but still has a lot to happen, moreover Sylvia has appeared also, she and Julis are the best girls in my opinion, I am really looking forward to the next season of the anime and continue following the LN ..
Dec 19, 2015 4:38 PM

Aug 2014
What a great battle! Amagiri-san defeated Irene-san when she was awaken because of her weapon... Ser Veresta is really an interesting weapon! ^.^
Julis was very good too. And Priscilla, I like her innocent face. Is so pretty! :D
Now I just need to wait for the second season which will be on air on next Spring season!
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Dec 19, 2015 5:29 PM
Nov 2015
The last fight scene could have been a little more intense but overall it was a very good end to the first season. Hopefully there will be more.
Dec 19, 2015 5:33 PM
Sep 2013
Hmmm currently give it a 6/10, the story for me seems to be building up to something rather interesting and if season 2 concentrates on this more instead of the cringe-worthy harem moments then it could score even higher. However if it doesn't it may end up with a score as low as 3.

Characters are a so-so for me as some I find meh like Ayato and Kirin. Whilst there are ones I like (Claudia). Apparantly Sylvia is an entertaining character so I'll be keeping an eye on her next season.
Dec 19, 2015 5:59 PM

Jul 2015
so split cour? seee ya boys im reading the manga 8/10 music was my second favourite thing of this series, second to Claudia Enfield of course.
Dec 19, 2015 6:02 PM
May 2015
Whoa, hoooo, Ayato reward......... boob diving with them girls, except for JUlis.
Dec 19, 2015 6:17 PM

May 2015
for julis, you're almost there, but this is anime world, if you wanna try to kiss someone at last episode of a harem typical anime, you're gonna be trolled as fuck
Dec 19, 2015 6:28 PM

Apr 2012
Meh, everything is rushed and mediocre story. Songs are good, especially ending one. Characters are likeable, I think. However, this show reprove why I don't like series with ecchi/harem and action genres with each other. Story can be more interesting, but just too fast and deviate usually.
Dec 19, 2015 7:09 PM

May 2015

wut happened
7/10 that last episode was so bad tho
Dec 19, 2015 7:34 PM

Jan 2013
Alright ending, cliche kiss interruption. Not like it would have happen anyway.
Dec 19, 2015 7:41 PM

Jan 2011
kurikinton said:

wut happened
i couldn't stop laughing who thought animating that kind of face was a good idea

just another run of the mill LN adaptation saving graces were Claudia Kirin and the OP/ED and i just overall liked the character designs

i'm still super curious even now to how on earth this already had a 2nd cour in the works and a game Why?!
Dec 19, 2015 7:43 PM

Feb 2011
Ayato talking about keeping his promise felt like déjà vu. Have I seen this situation somewhere before? Anyhow, great way to end it.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Dec 19, 2015 8:19 PM
Jul 2018
This should be a 5/10 but I'll go 6, it just grows on you. LN is still better but I've seen worse adaptations. Glad I got a fight that lasted longer than 2 minutes, solidly choreographed. Excited for the second half. Gonna miss that ED though :(

To anyone worried about ecchi harem shenanigans in the future, in the LN that shit is almost an afterthought, so breathe easy.
Dec 19, 2015 8:38 PM

Jun 2015
The early bits with pricilia burried under the ruble were disturbing. Didn't enjoy the episode at all. The fight was meh and lacked /intensity/seriousness[you know those instances where the opponents are really out there to get each other]. Not a game where they took turns to attack each other.

I am indifferent about the series. Neither the plot nor the fights were interesting. Don't like the MC. Was watching in the hope that it might get interesting/intense [as people were hyping for the festa but it was a disappointment] but it didn't. Might not watch the S2.
A 5 from me at max.
HijaziDec 19, 2015 9:39 PM
Dec 19, 2015 9:21 PM

Dec 2013
Pretty decent for an adaptation of the LN. They failed to significantly explain all the story elements, but anyone with half a brain-cell should be able to figure out most of the back story from the parts that they adapted.

Apart from the explicit chest hug scene at the end of this episode (anime only too), I don't see why people have so much to complain about regarding this as a harem. They've followed the LN quite well, in that the harem element is there, but toned down quite a lot compared to other series where girls are throwing themselves at an MC (DxD I'm looking at you) and vice versa (To-Love-Ru). How many scenes in this entire show have you seen them explicitly arguing for the sake of impressing Ayato? I could count them all on one hand. Plus, the next three arcs are focused more on the festa, meaning even less harem-esque moments, and more world/character building. Psudo harem lovers who still complain about this show really need to give it a rest.

On the show, I was honestly not that impressed by the fight between Ayato and Irene. Whilst the animations were fluid and impressive, as some have mentioned it still lacked the intensity of a "must win" fight for both sides, making the part when Gravi-Sheath took over way less intense than it should have been. As an end-of-cour match-up I would say that things could have been done better.

What did impress me, was how they showed the back-lash Ayato received from his power-release.
Even though the commentators shouldn't have been the ones to explain it (in the LN it was thought that it was due to injuries suffered in the match, rather than a limiter, and all the other opponents were just "speculating" on whether it was something more), the way they presented it was explicit enough that even the dumbest of anime viewers could understand that the secret of Ayato's limiter being finally out, and leaves little room for complaints in the second cour (like people saying "how the heck would they know?" and all that shit). So considering the medium of pictures being used to present the story, I would say this was a decent change-up from the LN.

Overall the first cour is exactly what I expected it to be. Nothing impressive, but a solid story put into images. Will look forward to the battles and intrigue in the second cour.

Oh, and +1 for Sylvia.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Dec 19, 2015 9:48 PM

Sep 2015
Rocksterrock said:
That fight couldn't have been more predictable.

Whelp, it was a nice looking show with good music but painfully mediocre in every other aspect.

I'm not sure if its gonna get any better in the next season or not but as of now I'd say 5/10. It's exactly what this show is, average. There was really nothing special about it compared to any other school battle harem, despite what people have said.

You just read my mind. And what a boring final fight that was... Mediocre at best.

The word disappointment is what crossed my mind when it ended. Also relief... relief that it's finally over.
katsu044 said:
kurikinton said:

wut happened
i couldn't stop laughing who thought animating that kind of face was a good idea

just another run of the mill LN adaptation saving graces were Claudia Kirin and the OP/ED and i just overall liked the character designs

i'm still super curious even now to how on earth this already had a 2nd cour in the works and a game Why?!

Yeah wtf was that?! Fuck... I even cringed when I saw that bit.
TchamiDec 19, 2015 9:59 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 19, 2015 9:54 PM

May 2015
the face amagiri made when powering up was hilarious
Dec 19, 2015 10:02 PM

Apr 2014
straggy said:

3/10, not bothering with season 2. Genuinely terrible show. Even Claudia couldn't save it.
lol u knew u werent gonna like this yet u watched it who are u kidding?
Dec 19, 2015 10:21 PM

Jan 2011
Considering I pegged this as a potential drop at the start of the season, I can only be pleasantly surprised. In truth both this and Rakudai surprised me in a good way. While both fit the same mold, the latter was definitely better. Astrerisk played on the harem tropes a little harder but overall the show was enjoyable to watch which is a positive point in itself considering the genre is typically below mediocre these days. I mean there have been some straight awful...awful school battle harems recently. While nothing I'd recommend to watch, it wasn't a waste of time either.

'dat power up scene > > however
Dec 19, 2015 10:53 PM
Oct 2015
RayAdha said:
So, where did that Ayato's power-up come from? Please don't tell me it's a power of emotion again....
Right, except that it's Ser-Versta's emotion this time.

It's been mentioned before that ogre-luxes have their own personalities. So, what happened there was Ser-Versta released its full power to be used by Ayato because it didn't want to be seen as inferior to Gravi-Sheath.

JkayW said:
I'll be the bigger man and not start a flame war in the discussion thread.
If that's really your honest thought, then why'd you do these:

1. Using bad language. Do you love shit so much that you have to mention it in each of your posts?

2. Stating false information. Asterisk world, genestella, ogre lux etc. have all been explained. The general idea were given in the first episode & there have been supplemental informations in some other episodes.

3. Posting a shopped image of Ayato to make people think that he's just Kirito with a different hairdo. Ayato has purple eyes with lowered outer corners mind you.

Maledict said:
Ser-Veresta in the novel looks way bigger than it does in the anime.
The novel illustrator loves big weapons as much as Saya does. Even Kirin wields an oversized katana in the novel.
Dec 20, 2015 12:30 AM

Mar 2013
moodie said:
straggy said:

lol u knew u werent gonna like this yet u watched it who are u kidding?

lmao, except I've seen LN adaptation magic school harem animes just like this that I've liked repeatedly and I like harem anime in general. I liked Rakudai this season too, so lol you know you didn't actually check my list and you're just talking bullshit to look big.
Dec 20, 2015 12:40 AM

Dec 2014
Yay, Sylvia. <3

Kirin is still #1 for me though.hehehe

Next season. Waiting for it.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2015

325 by dxviddfr_ »»
Apr 30, 2:50 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

116 by POLYTRON2K »»
Dec 28, 2023 11:23 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2015

180 by Gutzdeep42 »»
May 29, 2023 5:17 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

122 by Arlindox0 »»
Feb 27, 2023 5:20 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2015

220 by Azuki_Sayashi »»
Feb 17, 2023 7:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.