Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 19, 2016 11:01 PM
Jul 2009
cO_zero said:
Btw did someone besides me notice the 3 of them holding hands after the credit^^

I noticed too. I'm not sure how to interpret it though. Did part of Remo's data remained after being deleted by Dual and Dorothy, and joined Sumire and Diana afterwards? Or was it a flashback to something that happened in the real world in the past? Or maybe it was a scene from a backup world.

I'm also wondering if Dual was based on Sumire's actual best friend. If such best friend existed in real life, Sumire no doubt would have talked about her with her husband (Daniel Dawson) so it wouldn't surprise me if he decided to base the prototype antivirus on her. After all, the Violet OS was based on his wife, so who better than his wife's best friend to protect it? It's a really cool idea to think about.
1idd0kunJan 19, 2016 11:11 PM
Jan 21, 2016 5:43 PM
Apr 2015
1idd0kun said:
cO_zero said:
Btw did someone besides me notice the 3 of them holding hands after the credit^^

I noticed too. I'm not sure how to interpret it though. Did part of Remo's data remained after being deleted by Dual and Dorothy, and joined Sumire and Diana afterwards? Or was it a flashback to something that happened in the real world in the past? Or maybe it was a scene from a backup world.

I would say it was from the real world just to illustrate the point that they are the persons the software is based on. if it was in a backup world wouldn't Sumire be there in her young form?

1idd0kun said:

I'm also wondering if Dual was based on Sumire's actual best friend. If such best friend existed in real life, Sumire no doubt would have talked about her with her husband (Daniel Dawson) so it wouldn't surprise me if he decided to base the prototype antivirus on her. After all, the Violet OS was based on his wife, so who better than his wife's best friend to protect it? It's a really cool idea to think about.

Since she's called Dual i think there were always meant to be two programs. Wouldn't that indicate that there are 2 Dorothys the programs are based on? I like the idea too. It sounds less lonely^^ (since they are depicting the software as humans)
Jan 22, 2016 9:42 PM

May 2010
FARRRR suddenly started crying so hard when Remo sacrifice herself to save them 。・゚゚*(>д<)*゚゚・。
The ViOS and Mother stuff with the humans was hard to understand though.

The montage of SOL moments when they were in all the different times and places was beautiful! Magnificent sceneries and the OST! (つω`*)
Jan 23, 2016 8:00 AM

Jul 2009
It was really pretty, it was very nice to see the three of them having fun as friends traveling around and enjoying every moment, of course, it was also sad when Remo disappear. The songs were also good, a very touching movie. 7/10
Jan 23, 2016 3:36 PM

Nov 2007
i had the 'pleasure' to watch this today and. oh god. how can a movie take great art and animation and a super promising setting and then just fail at literally everything else?

if i had only taken the other offers our anime festivals had at the same time. this was not only a waste of time to me, it also knows it target audience very well (as the whole row behind me were 30yo dudes with fedoras loudly discussing the sexy revealing outfits of our heroines)
if thats your cup of tea then go on, youre gonna love it
Feb 8, 2016 12:19 AM

Jun 2009
Wasn't really expecting anything from this, but hey it was pretty nice. I like it for the most part. Yeah the development of the girls' friendship was a bit of a lackluster but still it was entertaining enough, for me at least. 8/10.

Feb 9, 2016 10:53 AM

Dec 2015
The plot is actually kinda hazy for me but still understood tidbits to enjoy this.
The art was really really beautiful :) The girls were all beautiful (Kinda want Ecchi or Hentai with those gals :D )
A really good movie to pass 1 hour :D
Overall, I'll give it a 8/10
Feb 9, 2016 11:24 PM
Sep 2015
How exactly would "pick stuff out" of the virtual worlds corrupt them? I mean wouldn't it be easier to COPY the data instead of MOVING (copying and deleting at the same time) it? Then no need to worry about corruption or any such nonsense.

And how exactly did the corrupted & deleted remnants gain awareness of their status and learn how to jump to the levels where the AV programs lived?

Almost seems to make more sense if Mother "upgraded" the those two to see the beautiful things as "corrupted", so when the "compressed and deleted" them, the deletion portion was actually sending them on to the garden.
Feb 17, 2016 5:32 PM

Oct 2008
This movie is too techy deep!
Madoka vibes?
The setting is after human extinction? And a high-tech self-sustaining computer system is the one that's left? seems too sad for me.
4/5.
8/10.

Mar 5, 2016 1:44 PM
Mar 2008
Another movie that fails to explain its story, ugh.
Mar 9, 2016 12:46 PM
Oct 2014
Great movie, not as hard to understand as people claims
Mar 19, 2016 10:02 PM
Jan 2016
cO_zero said:
I would say it was from the real world just to illustrate the point that they are the persons the software is based on. if it was in a backup world wouldn't Sumire be there in her young form?

MINDFUKKKK!!!! my head is exploding right now because you explained it very well
Mar 20, 2016 4:05 PM
Jun 2010
God damn that was good, glad I wasn't spoiled beforehand.
Mar 31, 2016 9:29 PM

Jun 2012
That was surprisingly enjoyable, first half of the movie was really comfy. And the second half had some good action and feels. Really damn confused though. I dont even understand the ending.

Still a good movie.
Apr 9, 2016 10:34 PM

Jun 2011
I wouldn't call it something entertaining to watch; it is really confusing.
I think that ruined the enjoyment factor for me, just seemed so lackluster.
I was expecting more from A1-Pictures, and I also liked the art a lot. :/
I just felt like this would have worked so much better as an actual television show.
Apr 23, 2016 3:28 PM

Oct 2012
I kinda get it but it was still way too confusing to follow without stoping or rewatching some parts again. This movie would certainly benefit of better pacing.

Guess this would make great full series for greater emotional impact.

6/10 Mahou shoujo antivirus with great graphics, it was nice but story-wise messy towards the ending.
May 15, 2016 11:32 PM

Apr 2011
the soundtrack was amazing, and I'd watch it again for the music.

Dorothy so hot god dam, her bust size PLS BE MY ANTI-VIRUS!!
May 20, 2016 5:59 PM

Aug 2014
Well this was pretty confusing, I mean I sorta understood the majority to what was going on at first but it lost me near the end with the whole Mother, Remo(te) stuff etc...
The music and visuals were on point though.

As for the characters. They were ok I guess, the only one I found annoying was Dorothy, I wonder why though? Oh yeah, she's voiced by Ayane Fucking Sakura -_-
Oh well, just another character added to the list of roles I can't stand from her.

Overall I like the concept of the story but it seems it was trying to do too much considering it's length.
It definitely would had work better as a tv series.
KashKetchumMay 20, 2016 6:05 PM
Jul 12, 2016 10:23 PM

Dec 2009
cO_zero said:
I liked the art, the animation and the sounds but I find the plot is both easy to get and badly explained for none tech-savvy viewers.
And why the f*** didn't the just call the OS Sumire instead of Violet that would have been easier on viewers that don't names for flowers in different languages.

the plot:
Dual and Dorothy are introduced as Antivirus programs. The run on a system called Box of Wisdom.
On this system humanities culture and achievements are stored (for later generations, I assume).
One of these "memories" is about Sumire. Unpacking this data leads to the activation of Remo.

We learn through the movie that Remo is in fact a Remote program from Mother.exe. (A remote program is something you use to gain access to a server while using another server.)
Mother.exe is an environmental program that stabilizes earth. As such it is smart enough to comprehend that humans are destroying earth and thus wants to destroy humans to save it.

When humanity realizes this they want to destroy Mother.exe. They want to overwrite the program by installing VioletOS. Since the world is so dependent on Mother.exe this leads to their death. (You can think of it as turning of the atmosphere.)

The viruses in the movie are corrupted data as Remo explains. She picked stuff (flowers) out of them that's why they became corrupted (there's something missing).

Who are the persons from the "memories"?
1. Sumire - She is the wife of Daniel Dawson who created VioletOS after her image. Sumire = Violet
2. Mother - The daughter of Daniel and Sumire she is called Diana and has lost her own daughter due to an environmental demonstration gone wrong.
3. Remo(ne) - She is the daughter of Diana (and since she an subprogram also the "daughter" of Mother.exe if you want to call it that) and the granddaughter of Sumire.

Since Sumire is VioletOS that explains why Remo gets activated after her "memory" is unpacked.

I just rewatched the movie, and this is an excellent breakdown. I didn't find the need to analyze it in detail because i got the gist of it in spirit, but this explanation really solidifies it. When you're japanese you're more likely to be crammed full of trivia, so knowing flower names and basic tech lingo is not so much of a stretch. Anime is also a very social media, so the ones who didn't get it would go to futaba or something (their version of reddit) and find out in the ensuing conversation on the anime.
GenesisAriaJul 12, 2016 10:29 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jul 16, 2016 9:41 PM

Jul 2012
It's pretty to look at and fairly entertaining but not well executed for the most part.

The story wasn't that hard to understand, but definitely could've benefited from more run time to deliver the characterization and emotional impact it was trying to.

6/10.
Jul 17, 2016 12:50 PM

Jul 2014
cO_zero said:
I liked the art, the animation and the sounds but I find the plot is both easy to get and badly explained for none tech-savvy viewers.
And why the f*** didn't the just call the OS Sumire instead of Violet that would have been easier on viewers that don't names for flowers in different languages.

the plot:
Dual and Dorothy are introduced as Antivirus programs. The run on a system called Box of Wisdom.
On this system humanities culture and achievements are stored (for later generations, I assume).
One of these "memories" is about Sumire. Unpacking this data leads to the activation of Remo.

We learn through the movie that Remo is in fact a Remote program from Mother.exe. (A remote program is something you use to gain access to a server while using another server.)
Mother.exe is an environmental program that stabilizes earth. As such it is smart enough to comprehend that humans are destroying earth and thus wants to destroy humans to save it.

When humanity realizes this they want to destroy Mother.exe. They want to overwrite the program by installing VioletOS. Since the world is so dependent on Mother.exe this leads to their death. (You can think of it as turning of the atmosphere.)

The viruses in the movie are corrupted data as Remo explains. She picked stuff (flowers) out of them that's why they became corrupted (there's something missing).

Who are the persons from the "memories"?
1. Sumire - She is the wife of Daniel Dawson who created VioletOS after her image. Sumire = Violet
2. Mother - The daughter of Daniel and Sumire she is called Diana and has lost her own daughter due to an environmental demonstration gone wrong.
3. Remo(ne) - She is the daughter of Diana (and since she an subprogram also the "daughter" of Mother.exe if you want to call it that) and the granddaughter of Sumire.

Since Sumire is VioletOS that explains why Remo gets activated after her "memory" is unpacked.

If only they told the story like this... oh wait.

Totally meh the whole time since I couldn't understand but visuals and OST were nice.
Aug 11, 2016 9:50 PM
Jul 2018
Well, that was interesting. Currently 7/10 for me, but will have to rewatch at some point, which could increase that score.
Sep 1, 2016 6:51 AM

Feb 2013
Boring movie.
It was sad when Remo died.
Oct 5, 2016 10:19 PM

Aug 2013
So after watching it I got that:

It was a digital world called the Box of Wisdom that held collected data about different points in time and different cultures, essentially blocked off into different "worlds".

The Box of Wisdom was created as a result of Dr. Dawson trying to monitor the world with the Mother program.

Because of Mother, the world became stagnant and on the verge of destruction. Humanity decided to fight back, and for whatever undisclosed reasons, humanity died at the same time they managed to destroy Mother; perhaps the world was too integrated and Mother controlled machines and utilities that allowed humanity to survive.

The last remaining humans, perhaps they were skeptical of really destroying Mother, uploaded the ViOS, aka Dual and Dorothy, into the Box of Wisdom. Remo mentioned that this was almost like the last act of Rebellion against Mother, because the two of them basically had the capacity to become human. Perhaps the goal of the humans was for Dual and Dorothy to use the collected data in the Box of Wisdom to become as human as possible and learn to live like humans.

Humanity has actually been wiped out for an undisclosed amount of time, but is presumed to be at least hundreds of years.

Mother had a trap against ViOS, and used Remo to constantly "update" them and rewrite their code to perceive stripped data as viruses.

Mother's end goal was to use Remo to collect "beautiful things" from all of the different world data to create the ideal human. Why? Who's to say. It wouldn't actually be human, and it would still be stuck in the Box of Wisdom.

When all is said and done, it turns out Sumire was actually a real person. Not exactly a surprise since the world data is stored memory from the actual world when it still existed.

The real twist was that Sumire (and Pauls) daughter was Dr. Dawson. Dr. Dawson's husband was the one who created the fancy internet they mentioned, and Dr. Dawson created Mother. She created the program after her daughter died in an accident. Turns out that daughter was Remo, aka Remone, and the backup mother program was modeled after her.

And the way I interpreted that post credit scene, was that Remo was back to "life" in her data. Sumire's entire life, including Dr. Dawson and Remo's was part of that world that Dual destroyed in the beginning because of the virus. It turns out that there were never any viruses to begin with.

My guess is that when Dual and Dorothy downgraded and "destroyed" the virus for the last time, it actually restored every world to the way it was meant to be. With Remo Mother gone and the flower garden gone, and Dual told Dorothy that Sumire was still alive, it leads me to believe that the worlds were restored and that Sumire's world was also restored. Eventually Remo's data was reincarnated in a sense in that world.

--------------------

I really liked this movie. I liked all of the plot twists, and I really liked the bits of character growth. In all of those little scenes we got to see Dual and Dorothy become a lot more human. And they got to experience practically everything: school life, college life, playing sports, living at home, cooking, war and destruction, breathtaking views of nature, etc. Before Remo that was all stuff they weren't even capable of processing, and seeing the change was pleasant.
Feb 20, 2017 4:26 AM

Nov 2011
dumb people not getting what is happening. sighs
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Mar 18, 2017 4:58 PM

Jun 2011
Legit, have the people in Japan ran out of idea, that they'd materialize data into generic all girl setting with cliche "I don't feel a thing, I shouldn't, then someone came into my life and make me feel all this shit"? It's not even educational.

Nice visual and OST but otherwise a waste of time.
ToG25thBaamMar 18, 2017 5:02 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 17, 2017 5:43 AM

May 2015
Heard Sendan Life on osu!, searched the source then came here

Graphics were beautiful and so were OST, but the plot felt hella messy :(
Ran into the whole movie without understanding much so I can't say that I enjoyed it other way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2017 9:56 AM

Jan 2014
I still don't really understand, what's the point of this movie?

Kaspersky and Norton working together to destroyed the virus, but humanity are already extinct, then where's the virus come from?

they're tasked to create an ideal world and yet they only keep and simulate them over and over, until they're running out of electricity, since humanity no longer exist. pretty pointless if I must say.
May 24, 2017 10:45 AM

Feb 2014
Started out with a really interesting premise. I really liked the magical girl themes present, although there was some pretty cool world building in it. Could get pretty dramatic and dark at times, especially in the ending when Remo goes away (Noooooo Remo :'( I wish they could all stay together and bake cookies and be happy). Animation was fantastic, and I liked the piano theme in the beginning. Overall an interesting and enjoyable watch. 7-8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2017 12:04 AM

Aug 2007
I think it was as bad as everyone is making it out to be...

It's a bit better than an average anime. I really like the idea of Mother.exe trying to protect the Earth due to human destruction. In a way, the computer becomes smart enough to realize this, but does this is a humane (?) way by decreasing birth rates. People depend on it, so I assume quality of life goes up, but there is less need to procreate due to being connected peacefully to everyone in the world. I wonder if the remnants of people who were alive were unable to dissemble Mother.exe correctly, possibly due to lack of skill or the file able to outsmart even gifted programmers?

I basically took this movie as another way to turn inanimate objects into emotional beings. It shows humans put love into their work, and thus the family being reflected in the programs. I don't think it was intended for the antiviruses to feel that dedication by the creator, since they are programs and this is more of an artistic way to see code, but nevertheless they were able to meet Remo and become human themselves, even if everyone else was wiped out.

6/10

Aug 26, 2018 4:44 PM

Oct 2015
That was a unique concept. The touching scene where Remo sacrificed herself for those two made me sensitive. I hope they will meet in that house again. wished there was a sequel though.

My favorite was Dorothy, she is an interesting one and I loved her deleted world where she had a family and all, it suited her though. As for Dual and her friend Sumire, I didn't sympathize with her for some reason.

8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 20, 2019 5:51 AM

Nov 2009
Was following the story well up until around the last 20 minutes, with the revelations of who everyone was exactly. Got the gist of it but may re-watch at some stage to be clearer on the ending. Nonetheless, enjoyed it quite a bit 8/10.

Also, did anyone think that right at the end, after the credits, that Remo's laugh sounded evil? Not sure but if it was then that adds a whole different layer to the story and her character.
Mar 31, 2020 7:22 AM

Feb 2020
It wasn't at all what I would call a bad movie, the emotions were conveyed pretty well,the piano song was nice, the characters were quite good and interesting to follow, though they would've deserved more development, but my main issue, like pretty much everyone else, is the story.
I tried really hard to understand everything, but there is some point near the end where I just gave up without even realizing it.
The connection between the characters, including Sumire, is very blurry, like, at the end they tell us that Remo is a program created by Mother, but actually she used to be Dual's and Dorothy's ally, but actually she is Sumire's dead granddaughter (but why was Sumire a teen in the flashback then ?), but actually she is a virus... Then what exactly is she and how is she related to each character ?
Also, I still don't get what viOS is or how humanity got destroyed, and who were these guys talking in the flashbacks if humanity is dead ?
There are way too many twists and questions raised. It wasn't at all a bad experience, and I'll gladly rewatch the movie to see if I can understand everything better, but I still think that they tried too much when they had too little time. It would've been much better if they didn't give us all those revelations at once. But well, maybe the rewatch will be better ! I definitely think anyway that this movie's rating is too harsh. It really isn't that bad, just confusing.
FafetteMar 31, 2020 10:03 AM
Nov 9, 2020 4:22 AM

Jul 2017
Chanced upon this little fine diamond in the rough when I was looking for sub 90-min movies to watch, and I can say that I've stomached hour-long movies that doesn't have the flare like this one does.

I'd admit, for 2016 standards this was outta the ordinary, and such a novel concept that I'd wished could've been made into a full length show, but I'd understand why by such shallow content that the execution for the 2nd half was wishy-washy. Just one glance of the forum here shows how much potential this could've have, and even by A-1 Pictures' standards this was a cut above the rest. But alas, the execution undercuts and underwhelms that "Shinsekai Yori" feel, and from the same director that directed that show, I can't help but wallow at such an interesting world that ended up being a child's play of a messed-up story to "play House" at IRL viruses, OSes and such.

The 1st half, easily a 9/10...but the wayward 2nd half becomes a 5/10 just ires me of the poor world-building. Could take a shot at watching a 2nd time, but where is the time to invest in underlying tones and such.

A very generous 6/10, just decent, if not mediocre.
Mar 10, 2021 10:39 PM

Apr 2012
Watched this as a result of a randomized scroll and click, as I occasionally do when I get bored, and this was a splendid and emotional ride to land on!

Couldn't help but think of Remo as Aura from .Hack and there being a human-hating 'Mother' program just fueled the flames of that headcanon. Kinda wish there was more of this story, I really liked Dual and Dorothy and would love to see the process of them doing whatever it is they're expected to do in order to actually save the human race. Would have made a great series.
Nov 28, 2023 3:39 PM

Mar 2019
Good film for otacults who like to pay smart on the internet, a delight!

7/10
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Key Visual/Character Designs

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2015

9 by Iritails »»
Nov 23, 2015 1:47 AM

» Teaser/Preview (Update 7/18)

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

7 by RPG2000 »»
Jul 18, 2015 9:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.