Forum Settings
Forums

Anything you pronounce intentionally differently?

New
Nov 25, 2015 4:18 PM

Sep 2009
Like, you know the correct pronunciation, but you pronounce it differently for one reason or another. For me:
Death - desu
Scion - skee-on
lets play - retsu-purae
mudkips- mudkipzz
darkness - Dankness
vegetable - Vegeta-bowl
MortalMelancholyNov 26, 2015 11:15 AM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 25, 2015 4:20 PM

May 2015
Polish names. Because they're confusing.
Nov 25, 2015 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
mother or brother

I pronounce it like mutter and brutter
Nov 25, 2015 4:22 PM
May 2015
if I can't pronounce something I'll just say the first two letters and complete it with "sghrghsbbuyabnum"
I'm not fun to talk to in real life.
Nov 25, 2015 4:22 PM
Nov 25, 2015 4:24 PM

May 2015
A lot of my friends pronounce McDonalds as mac Donald's but other than that no
Nov 25, 2015 4:24 PM

Aug 2013
I can't think of anything in particular, but there are certain English words that my North Germanic tongue can't help but butcher, so I simplify them in order to make them easier for me to pronounce.
Nov 26, 2015 8:04 AM

Jan 2009
Moog said:
I can't think of anything in particular, but there are certain English words that my North Germanic tongue can't help but butcher, so I simplify them in order to make them easier for me to pronounce.
It's pretty common to do so, especially if there is a Sound you can't pronounce or which would be too hard to do.
For Instance, the th-Sound is not in my Language anymore, because they had decided to drop it over a thousand Years ago by introducing th-Stopping.
The ironic Part is that even native English Speakers sometimes tend to replace "th" with "d" (dis, dat, dere, de, brudda) when speaking or "v" in "give" to "b" in "gib" as if to prove the second Germanic Consonant Shift all over again.

On the other Hand, I know how frustrating it can sound to hear Foreigners pronounce "ich" as "ish" instead of [ɪç] with the "ç" which is similar to the Sound of "hue" before the [.u] gets pronounced or similar to [hj] or respectively hyeah without the "-eah" Part.
That's why I'm trying to sound as similar and accurately English as the average native English-speaking Person around, albeit I can't guarantee I were able to do as for all it be, I don't really have Practice in conversing orally in that Tongue.
NoboruDec 10, 2015 1:33 PM
Nov 26, 2015 8:07 AM

Jul 2014
skissors
Nov 26, 2015 8:07 AM
Mar 2013
I say the J in Marijuana
Nov 26, 2015 8:08 AM

Apr 2013
father as fah-dah
huehuheh
Nov 26, 2015 8:10 AM

Jan 2009
superficial said:
father as fah-dah
Thanks for proving my Point :D
Nov 26, 2015 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
Cool - kewl.
Nov 26, 2015 10:29 AM

Aug 2015
room - rum
no - nor

☁ cyborg robot squirrels ☁
Nov 26, 2015 10:41 AM

Jun 2015
Atrium - instead of a tree um I say awe tree um
Nov 26, 2015 10:43 AM

Jul 2012
thanks -> sankyuuuu or dank

i do it towards ppl im friends with
Nov 26, 2015 10:45 AM

Jun 2015
Manga
Nov 26, 2015 10:47 AM

Sep 2015
Brother is brudder
Nov 26, 2015 10:48 AM
Nov 2009
I don't pronounce wrong anything intentionally. If I mispronounce something, it's because I don't know how to read it.

Like, how the hell, would you read "choir"? It's one of the most stupid "English" words, and I am pretty sure it's not even English, but some contrived, mistranslated Latin.
Nov 26, 2015 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
I try to pronounce things the way they're supposed to be pronounced. Unless I'm making a joke or something.
Nov 26, 2015 10:50 AM

May 2015
Duskfall said:
I don't pronounce wrong anything intentionally. If I mispronounce something, it's because I don't know how to read it.

Like, how the hell, would you read "choir"? It's one of the most stupid "English" words, and I am pretty sure it's not even English, but some contrived, mistranslated Latin.
"cwy-er"
Nov 26, 2015 11:09 AM

Jul 2015
I pronounce the "l" in almond.
Nov 26, 2015 11:13 AM

Jan 2014
I say been like bean. Everyone else in the US likes to say it like ben, there's two E's for a reason people, pronounce them!
Nov 26, 2015 11:14 AM

Sep 2009
Dimethylanime said:

That's the American way. The British way makes me think of "Ahmed," except that's actually like Aa-aksjd;lklkjfalks-CK-med
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 26, 2015 11:16 AM

Jun 2015
A lot of things. I'm from the US after all.

Nov 26, 2015 11:19 AM

Mar 2014
When I feel like it I speak English with a strong French accent

"'Ello mai neem iz comique sense"
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 26, 2015 11:22 AM
Mar 2015
I pronounce “I disagree with you.” as “fus-ro-dah.”
Nov 26, 2015 12:19 PM

Jun 2015
Dimethylanime said:

Wait...that's not actually how it's pronounced?
Nov 26, 2015 12:21 PM

Apr 2015
I say bref-kast not break-fast
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Nov 26, 2015 12:22 PM

May 2015
kiteen said:

weeb
Vishnu was trying to persuade the prince to do his duty, so to impress him he took on his multi armed form and said now I become death, the destroyer of worlds.
Nov 26, 2015 12:25 PM

Dec 2013
LingLingAnimayy said:
kiteen said:

weeb

LOOK AT ME INSULTING PEOPLE I AM SO COOL!!!11!!11
Nov 26, 2015 12:26 PM

Oct 2014
I pronounce cereal as "seh-re-ol". I don't do this on purpose but I don't put any effort into stopping.
zombie_pegasusNov 26, 2015 12:59 PM
Nov 26, 2015 12:34 PM

Mar 2008
Mostly with greeting and calling out to someone I think. I dont use it often but I say hillo or hallo or helloo or heya and hiya. I guess the last two are short for hey you and hi you.

I pronounce it closer to how its supposed to but a lot of people in the US pronounce au jus as aw juice.

Noboru said:
Moog said:
It's pretty common to do so, especially if there is a Sound you can't pronounce or which would be too hard to do.
For Instance, the th-Sound is not in my Language anymore, because they had decided to drop it over a thousand Years ago by introducing th-Stopping.
The ironic Part is that even native English Speakers sometimes tend to replace "th" with "d" (dis, dat, dere, de, brudda) when speaking or "v" in "give" to "b" in "gib" as if to prove the second Germanic Consonant Shift all over again.

On the other Hand, I know how frustrating it can sound to hear Foreigners pronounce "ich" as "ish" instead of [ɪç] with the "ç" which is similar to the Sound of "hue" before the [ u] gets pronounced or similar to [hj] or respectively hyeah without the "-eah" Part.
That's why I'm trying to sound as similar and accurately English as the average native English-speaking Person around, albeit I can't guarantee I were able to do as for all it be, I don't really have Practice in conversing orally in that Tongue.

you say θ sort of like f but with your tongue moved forward and stuck between your teeth with a hole just big enough to let a little air pass. ð i more like v with a similar tongue position as θ but its moved a little further back so just the tip of your tongue is against your teeth and your jaw closed just lightly more to cover the smaller gap.
Nov 26, 2015 1:40 PM

Jan 2009
mayukachan said:
thanks -> sankyuuuu or dank

+
starlabbu said:
Brother is brudder

danks for proving my Point as well. I wonder whether the th Sound will eventually vanish or not, considering the Millions of English Learners who can't pronounce it or only with Difficulties and the native English Speakers, who are too lazy to do it properly, because trying to to pronounce it accurately takes a Lot of Energy, at least for me.

traed said:
you say θ sort of like f but with your tongue moved forward and stuck between your teeth with a hole just big enough to let a little air pass. ð i more like v with a similar tongue position as θ but its moved a little further back so just the tip of your tongue is against your teeth and your jaw closed just lightly more to cover the smaller gap.
Yeah, I've heard something along those Lines during English Classes in the 5th Grade and have been using that Method since then. Whether it actually sounds like θ or ð and not like something between f and s or v and s is another Matter altogether.
But thanks for the concise Reminder; it helps with getting a more sensible Image how to place the Tongue.
NoboruNov 26, 2015 1:46 PM
Nov 26, 2015 1:50 PM

Jan 2015
I pronounce the [th] sound as either a simple [t] or a [d], or a [sz], depending on the word. My language simply can't pronounce it correctly.

I also have difficulties with pronouncing words that have an [a] in them that sounds more like an [ö] in my language. Like [rural].

And sometimes I mess up the pronounciation of words like [nervous] because the [ou] looks weird compared to how it is spelled. The German [nervös] is much easier to pronounce.
Nov 26, 2015 1:51 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
traed said:
Yeah, I've heard something along those Lines during English Classes in the 5th Grade and have been using that Method since then. Whether it actually sounds like θ or ð and not like something between f and s or v and s is another Matter altogether.
But thanks for the concise Reminder; it helps with getting a more sensible Image how to place the Tongue.
Yeah you dont use your lower lip like f and v. Its your tongue there instead. S your tongue is more so touching lower teeth i think while θ and ð are more upper teeth. ð is just a little closer to z than s but with your jaw open slightly more and the tongue position i mentioned before.
Nov 26, 2015 1:55 PM

Jan 2009
Soda sewda or pop pawp

I dont get the silent letters in some words like home (would home be pronounced diferent with out the e) if the letter is silent why is it there? I know thats how words like home are spelt but how does a silent letter help pronunce words with silent letters?
JersaniNov 26, 2015 1:58 PM
This sums up the YuYu Hakusho anime well (paraphrased) “you can’t end a good party without someone on the floor.” Yusuke Urameshi
Nov 26, 2015 2:05 PM

Jan 2009
Szefi said:
I also have difficulties with pronouncing words that have an [a] in them that sounds more like an [ö] in my language. Like [rural].
Wait... You're telling us that Hungarian "ö" is more like German "ü" or [y] in IPA?
If anything, then Words like "burn" and "turn" sound more like "ö" or [ø] to me.

traed said:
Yeah you dont use your lower lip like f and v. Its your tongue there instead.
That's what makes it so exhausting for me. Keeping it in the typical th-Positions is more straining for the Tongue than using it for an "L" Sound.
I don't touch my Teeth with my Tongue with any "S" or "Z" Sounds at all.
Nov 26, 2015 2:16 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
That's what makes it so exhausting for me. Keeping it in the typical th-Positions is more straining for the Tongue than using it for an "L" Sound.
I don't touch my Teeth with my Tongue with any "S" or "Z" Sounds at all.
Yeah I didnt suggest z you touch your tongue. Just I meant how ð does not have as much of an air sound like s does and more a vibrational sound like z or v but its quick so the vibration is pretty unnoticeable. The tongue position of ð is very close to d for the tip of the tongue. Thats best i can try to describe it lol θ should be easier but both are used.

Oh and I put my hand on my throat to test. ð vibrates your vocal cords less than d and θ does not at all. If that helps any more
traedNov 26, 2015 2:35 PM
Nov 26, 2015 2:22 PM

Jan 2015
Noboru said:
Szefi said:
Wait... You're telling us that Hungarian "ö" is more like German "ü" or [y] in IPA?
If anything, then Words like "burn" and "turn" sound more like "ö" or [ø] to me.
No. [rural] also sounds like it has an [ö] in it, at least to me.

There are not many English words that have characters with similar pronounciation to the German or Hungarian [ü]. Maybe [duel]?
Nov 26, 2015 2:24 PM
Oct 2014
maj näjm is Rarusu, änd aj livv in Swi-den

Nov 26, 2015 2:25 PM

Jan 2015
Rarusu_ said:

máj néjm iz Szefi, end áj lív in hungári
Nov 26, 2015 2:28 PM

Mar 2014
Szefi said:
Rarusu_ said:

máj nájm iz Szefi, end áj lív in hungári
maj näjm is Comic Sans, änd aj livv in konungariket Sverige

Håw arr jo todäii
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 26, 2015 2:29 PM

Mar 2008
When I was a kid I pronounced the H in herb. Which in American English they consider wrong and kept telling me to change it. Now im mad when i found out I was just speaking a different dialect and its difficult to pronounce the h again but i do make myself do it now in spite of everyone that told me not to pronounce it lol
Nov 26, 2015 2:32 PM
Oct 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Szefi said:

Håw arr jo todäii

Fajn, änd hau arr ju?

Nov 26, 2015 2:36 PM

Mar 2014
Rarusu_ said:
Comic_Sans said:

Håw arr jo todäii

Fajn, änd hau arr ju?
Aj äm filing laik a båss
Nico- said:
Nov 26, 2015 2:47 PM

Jan 2015
Comic_Sans said:
Szefi said:

Håw arr jo todäii
ájm fájn tenksz, end ju?
Nov 26, 2015 2:48 PM

Jan 2009
Szefi said:
No. [rural] also sounds like it has an [ö] in it, at least to me.
Strange, to me it sounds more like "ru-er-el".
[duel] sounds more like this: [ˈdjuːəl]. And the Schwa sounds here more like an "e" at the End of a German Word like in "bitte" or "danke" to me.

btw.: [hʌɪ ˈɛvrɪwʌn, ʌɪm Noboru ənd ʌɪm ˈɡəʊɪŋ tʊ sliːp naʊ, səʊ siː jɔːl ˈleɪtə]
NoboruNov 26, 2015 2:52 PM
Nov 26, 2015 2:59 PM

Jul 2015
Nov 26, 2015 2:59 PM

Mar 2014
Szefi said:
Comic_Sans said:

Håw arr jo todäii
ájm fájn tenksz, end ju?
Ajm filing gräjt
Nico- said:
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» what makes you send someone a friend request?

707supremacist - Yesterday

31 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» Does knowing how MAL user looks like change how you see/treat them?

barababas - Apr 28

39 by ST63LTH »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Apr 18

29 by ST63LTH »»
5 minutes ago

» Are you in financial debt? Nothing wrong with admitting that you are.

DesuMaiden - Apr 11

37 by ST63LTH »»
6 minutes ago

» Is fanart cheating?

spaceslut - Mar 5, 2023

47 by deg »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.