Forum Settings
Forums

#NotInMyName: Muslims condemn attacks in Paris

New
Nov 16, 2015 4:19 PM

Jan 2009
As the terrorist attacks erupted in Paris, people throughout the world mourned with France, and appalled Muslims turned to social media using the hashtag #NotInMyName.

Shehnaz Khan, a journalist in London, tweeted, "Whoever kills an innocent person, it is as though he has killed all of mankind." She was one of many people to share this verse from the Quran.

"I don't see ISIS as Muslim. I see terrorists when I look at ISIS," Philistine Ayad, a Muslim feminist, told CNN. "To me, terror knows no religion. They are picking and choosing aspects of the religion and twisting and distorting them in order to justify their actions that are unjustifiable."

Ayad, who has lived in the United States since 2001, says she feels very Westernized. However, she says it hurts when she wears her hijab, the scarf worn around her head, in public and hears muttering about her religion from onlookers.

She hopes the #NotInMyName campaign will help remove Islamophobia from Western culture.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/16/world/not-in-my-name-muslims-speak-out/index.html

that second bold part says it too, religions are easily use as a tool for extremism, and all in the name of religion

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 16, 2015 4:30 PM

Jun 2008
Islamaphobia is NOT real.

A critical response SHOULD be had on Islam.

Like it or not ISIS is.....you know....Islamic!

And they do the things they do in the name of Islam.

If you are a Muslim and you want to condemn the things ISIS does....great, but maybe you should also look a little harder on the religion you support.

And I don't want to hear any "No true scottsman" fallacy remarks.
Nov 16, 2015 4:38 PM
Nov 2015

j0x said:
"I don't see ISIS as Muslim...

what an idiot
Nov 16, 2015 4:42 PM

May 2009
JustALEX said:
Islamaphobia is NOT real.

What is this?

JustALEX said:
If you are a Muslim and you want to condemn the things ISIS does....great, but maybe you should also look a little harder on the religion you support.

http://www.quranandwar.com/FATWA%20on%20Terrorism%20and%20Suicide%20Bombings.pdf

This is the position of mainstream, traditional Islam. This is the majority opinion amongst scholars of Islam. You know, people who have actually looked pretty hard at the religion.

Maybe you should educate yourself. Wait, that's too much to ask. Reading cherry picked verses and hadiths is easier.
Nov 16, 2015 5:16 PM

Jun 2008
^Like it or not ISIS and MANY other ISLAMIC terrorist groups are Muslim and do the things they do in the name of Islam.

You literally have entire countries and millions upon millions of muslims who believe in Sharia, who believe freedom of speech is NOT a good thing and who will condemn terrorist acts, but still won't condemn the vile things that exists in their religion.

As for "Islamaphobia" I'm talking about the fact that people who criticize Islam are NOT bigots fro criticizing an ideology.

An Ideology that is very clearly flawed.

People who take violence as their measure are obviously incorrect in doing so.
Nov 16, 2015 5:22 PM

Feb 2015
All sides have extremists.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2015 5:22 PM

Jun 2014
JustALEX said:
^Like it or not ISIS and MANY other ISLAMIC terrorist groups are Muslim and do the things they do in the name of Islam.

You literally have entire countries and millions upon millions of muslims who believe in Sharia, who believe freedom of speech is NOT a good thing and who will condemn terrorist acts, but still won't condemn the vile things that exists in their religion.

As for "Islamaphobia" I'm talking about the fact that people who criticize Islam are NOT bigots fro criticizing an ideology.

Yeah, only barely 6% of Islamic people are terrorists.

Which means that the other 94% are NOT. More than 6% of Americans have committed huge crimes. How come they're not treated like terrorists?

Nov 16, 2015 5:26 PM

Mar 2008
They're right its not in their name its in the name of Allah.
Nov 16, 2015 5:28 PM

Apr 2014
bacchi said:
http://www.quranandwar.com/FATWA%20on%20Terrorism%20and%20Suicide%20Bombings.pdf

This is the position of mainstream, traditional Islam. This is the majority opinion amongst scholars of Islam. You know, people who have actually looked pretty hard at the religion.

Maybe you should educate yourself. Wait, that's too much to ask. Reading cherry picked verses and hadiths is easier.

If anything, the "majority opinion [on suicide bombing] amongst scholars of Islam" is a cherrypicked idea (althought the fact that it's not unanimous or completely obvious is already a problem).

I think a more relevant search would be into the majority opinion of Muslims (scholars and otherwise) on say, apostasy, adultery, homosexuality, depictions of the prophet, etc.
Nov 16, 2015 5:31 PM

Jul 2015
A nice gesture, but I don't think this will change anybodies opinion on Islam.

Must really suck being an innocent Muslim right now.
Nov 16, 2015 5:31 PM

May 2009
Seiya said:
JustALEX said:

Which means that the other 94% are NOT. More than 6% of Americans have committed huge crimes. How come they're not treated like terrorists?

6% of the Muslim population is 102 million... lol.
Nov 16, 2015 5:33 PM
Aug 2012
toolazytopick said:
A nice gesture, but I don't think this will change anybodies opinion on Islam.

Must really suck being an innocent Muslim right now.
sucks to suck
Nov 16, 2015 5:33 PM

Jun 2014
bacchi said:
Seiya said:

6% of the Muslim population is 102 million... lol.

And how much is 94%?

Nov 16, 2015 5:53 PM

May 2009
Altairius said:
bacchi said:

If anything, the "majority opinion [on suicide bombing] amongst scholars of Islam" is a cherrypicked idea (althought the fact that it's not unanimous or completely obvious is already a problem).

I think a more relevant search would be into the majority opinion of Muslims (scholars and otherwise) on say, apostasy, adultery, homosexuality, depictions of the prophet, etc.

Oh, so views on apostasty, adultery and homosexuality now have something to do with terrorist groups such as da'esh?

How is that a cherry picked idea? If an opinion is held by the overwhelming majority of scholars, it becomes an obligation for Muslims to abide by it. In an Islamic State (as da'esh claims to be), such an opinion is legally binding. The lay person is not allowed to derive their own rulings, it's unlawful and any lay person (i.e. non scholar) who engages in this is engaging in an unislamic activity. The resulting ruling would be fundamentally unislamic. This is mainstream, traditional Islam.

JustALEX said:

As someone educated in Islam, I don't accept Islam to be anything anyone says it is. I strictly adhere to scriptural and scholarly proof. I can see however how Islam can be anything to the uneducated on the subject, something da'esh and ignorant critics seem to have in common.

JustALEX said:

What does this have to do with terrorism? You seem to be grasping at straws. I believe in Sharia. I believe in freedom of speech. I don't know what "vile" things you refer to, but I'm going to suppose I and nearly two billion Muslims believe in them. I still disapprove of terrorism as does the mainstream scholarly tradition. So what is your point, citing unrelated beliefs?

JustALEX said:

I have no problem with that and indeed, it's not Islamophobia. I only have an issue with people refusing to educate themselves on something yet feeling they are qualified to be critics. Something I just find moronic, not Islamophobic.
Nov 16, 2015 5:56 PM

May 2009
Seiya said:
And how much is 94%?

My point is that there is nowhere as many as 102m Muslim terrorists.
Nov 16, 2015 5:56 PM

Mar 2012
I understand their frustration and need to distance themselves, but they're wrong. ISIS is a fundamentalist Islamic group, and they take Islam very seriously. They have teams of scholars dedicated to interpreting Muhammad's teachings. They are as "true" Muslims as anyone.

However, other Muslims can, should, and are fighting back on ideological grounds. Other Muslims present an interpretation of Islam that is compatible with a liberal and secular state. Rather than condemning Islam wholesale (which would be very illiberal), we should support "modern" interpretations and come down hard on fundamentalist interpretations. In that sense, it's not rocket science. It's the exact same thing we're doing with Christianity.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Nov 16, 2015 6:02 PM

Jun 2014
bacchi said:
Seiya said:
And how much is 94%?

There's over 102 million Christian terrorists on this planet.

But oh no, North America is predominately Christian, so they won't call them terrorists. They'll just say that they're criminals, and that not everyone is like that.

Don't forget that hundreds of innocent Palestinians are murdered by evil Israeli terrorists every month, making what happened in Paris extremely minor. Where's the justice there?

Oh wait, it's because the North American/British government are the most corrupt in the world.

Stop listening to mainstream media.

Nov 16, 2015 6:02 PM

Mar 2008
bacchi said:
Seiya said:
And how much is 94%?

I think he was looking at stats for terrorist sympathizers rather than numbers of actual terrorists.
Nov 16, 2015 6:08 PM

May 2009
Josh said:
They have teams of scholars dedicated to interpreting Muhammad's teachings.

Can I ask for a source for this? The minimum requirement to be a scholar is 5-7 years of study, and 3 more to be a mufti. I have a hard time believing da'esh has teams of any actual scholars.
Nov 16, 2015 7:45 PM

Mar 2012
bacchi said:
Josh said:
They have teams of scholars dedicated to interpreting Muhammad's teachings.
Can I ask for a source for this? The minimum requirement to be a scholar is 5-7 years of study, and 3 more to be a mufti. I have a hard time believing da'esh has teams of any actual scholars.
You might be right. I've come across several articles, such as this one, that mention ISIS "study groups", but now that I look for references I can't find any. The one I linked refers to an ISIS propaganda piece, which is obviously unreliable.
LoneWolf said:
Nov 16, 2015 9:15 PM

Apr 2015
traed said:
bacchi said:

I think he was looking at stats for terrorist sympathizers rather than numbers of actual terrorists.

LOL. With 102 million, they only produced 50,000 terrorists...... they sure are reliable supporters......
#CHEXIT
Nov 16, 2015 9:43 PM

Feb 2015
Seiya said:
bacchi said:

But oh no, North America is predominately Christian, so they won't call them terrorists.

A nation run by Talmudites and founded on secular principles, that recently legalised gay marriage, is now a nation of 'Christian terrorists'. LOL

America has a large Christian population, but they're not the ones bombing for oil and fighting for the Synagogue of Satan.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Nov 16, 2015 9:47 PM

Jun 2014
Caelidesu said:
Seiya said:

But oh no, North America is predominately Christian, so they won't call them terrorists.

A nation run by Talmudites and founded on secular principles, that recently legalised gay marriage, is now a nation of 'Christian terrorists'. LOL

America has a large Christian population, but they're not the ones bombing for oil and fighting for the Synagogue of Satan.

Americans kill people all the time. They just don't get called terrorists. They save that label for people in third world countries.

There's nothing "Innocent" about Christians either. Stop thinking that one religion causes more destruction than another, because they're all pretty much equal in that area.

Again, stop reading mainstream media.

Nov 16, 2015 9:55 PM
Sep 2013
because they're all pretty much equal in that area.

citation needed
Nov 16, 2015 9:57 PM

Jul 2009
JustALEX said:

So in the name of what are western countries dropping bombs and destroying governments in Africa and in the Middle East?
Nov 16, 2015 9:58 PM

Feb 2015
Seiya said:
Caelidesu said:

Americans kill people all the time. They just don't get called terrorists. They save that label for people in third world countries.

There's nothing "Innocent" about Christians either. Stop thinking that one religion causes more destruction than another, because they're all pretty much equal in that area.
The only way you can even pretend they're equal is by conflating 'religions' with 'countries'. Christianity =/= America

Nov 16, 2015 10:20 PM

Jun 2014
Caelidesu said:
Seiya said:

The only way you can even pretend they're equal is by conflating 'religions' with 'countries'. Christianity =/= America

Christianity or not, Americans murder people all the time, and in large numbers. Why do you seem to think your country has no blood on its hands? Not to mention the American government supporting the Israeli genocide of Palestinian people.

Nov 16, 2015 10:25 PM

Mar 2008
Imeon said:
traed said:

LOL. With 102 million, they only produced 50,000 terrorists...... they sure are reliable supporters......
I saw another source that said a minimum of 500,000
Nov 16, 2015 10:43 PM

Feb 2015
Seiya said:
Americans murder people all the time, and in large numbers. Why do you seem to think your country has no blood on its hands? Not to mention the American government supporting the Israeli genocide of Palestinian people.

I-I'm actually... not an American. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Nov 16, 2015 11:13 PM

Dec 2013
It's nice that this person is making an attempt to clear the name of Islam, but the fact is people can only see what is before their faces. It's one thing to read someone's condemnation of an action that uses their religion as justification, but it's a whole other thing to see a video of the person using that religion to commit acts of terror.

In the end, it becomes action over words and one bad action is worth more in the eyes of observers than one good action.

In other words, this campaign, while nice, doesn't mean much.
Nov 16, 2015 11:18 PM

Jun 2008
Tsundereppoi said:
JustALEX said:

So in the name of what are western countries dropping bombs and destroying governments in Africa and in the Middle East?

How is that relevant to what I said?
Nov 16, 2015 11:45 PM

Feb 2015
Tsundereppoi said:
JustALEX said:

Revenge for hurting their national pride with the whole 9/11 thing. Rumours of weapons of mass destruction. Oil. The toppling of regimes the U.S. didn't like. Nothing that justifies massacring hundreds of thousands of people, by the way.
None of those reasons have anything to do with Christian teachings.

Nov 16, 2015 11:55 PM

Apr 2013
I always facepalm when I hear someone say "Islam is the religion of peace".
Nov 16, 2015 11:57 PM

Aug 2013
Seiya said:
Caelidesu said:

Wow...is that how we're justifying stil saying well Christians are worse so lets love Islamic terrorist! we've moved from trying to point out that we have as many christian terrorists currently in operation because we don't do just declaring anyone who commits a crime and happens to be christian a Christian terrorist. Jesus reaching much, you've now declared all crime in america religiously motivated terror attacks. Get a grip.
Nov 16, 2015 11:59 PM

Jan 2013
I fear that the people who are already riled up by the terror in Paris will not listen to something like this.
Nov 17, 2015 12:09 AM

Jun 2014
Pacifica_Ocean said:
Seiya said:

Wow...is that how we're justifying stil saying well Christians are worse so lets love Islamic terrorist! we've moved from trying to point out that we have as many christian terrorists currently in operation because we don't do just declaring anyone who commits a crime and happens to be christian a Christian terrorist. Jesus reaching much, you've now declared all crime in america religiously motivated terror attacks. Get a grip.

I'm sorry that you can't understand, little girl.

Nov 17, 2015 4:16 AM

Apr 2015
traed said:

Yeah, 500,000 terrorists and yet we only have a dozen terror attacks in Murica and Europa.
#CHEXIT
Nov 17, 2015 4:20 AM
Nov 2015
[quote=Imeon]
traed said:

That's a dozen too much
Nov 17, 2015 4:57 AM

Oct 2015
"Islamaphobia" is a non-word, these so called "moderate Muslims" do not exist.

Nov 17, 2015 9:01 AM

Dec 2013
Can't wait for the European citizens to take it upon themselves to remove that scum. There will finally be something entertaining in the news. Sick of all these repeat shots of cowards running and screaming from their own mistakes(letting them in, in the first place) lol
I am on the edge ! The edge of the edgiest edge ever edged by edgekind !
я умерте ужасну депрессии...

Nov 17, 2015 9:02 AM

Aug 2013
Well its a step in the right direction
Nov 17, 2015 9:22 AM

Jan 2015
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Nov 17, 2015 1:42 PM

Apr 2015
Randoll_ said:
Imeon said:

That's a dozen too much

LOL. You snapped dude?
RPSB9Nov 17, 2015 3:48 PM
#CHEXIT
Nov 17, 2015 6:19 PM

Jan 2014
Seiya said:

Don't forget that hundreds of innocent Palestinians are murdered by evil Israeli terrorists every month, making what happened in Paris extremely minor. Where's the justice there?

Oh wait, it's because the North American/British government are the most corrupt in the world.

Lol.

I am still yet to hear of any Israeli suicide bombers.

It still baffles me how anyone in their right mind can say a growing population is under "genocide".
It's like saying Japan has one of the highest birth rates in the world.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 17, 2015 6:49 PM

Jun 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Seiya said:

Lol.

I am still yet to hear of any Israeli suicide bombers.

It still baffles me how anyone in their right mind can say a growing population is under "genocide".
It's like saying Japan has one of the highest birth rates in the world.

I'm not going to waste my time with you, as I know you're obsessed with Israel, and you think that everything you read in the mainstream media is true.

Nov 17, 2015 6:51 PM

Mar 2012
If a crazy person ever gets linked to MAL, we can use #NotInMALsName.
LoneWolf said:
Nov 17, 2015 6:52 PM

Jun 2008
BTW...."Not in my name"?

Actually yes, they do what they do in the name of Islam.

And they are just as Muslim as you are.

Next time...criticize the fucked up parts of your religion, denounce sharia, and stop pretending these people aren't Islamic....because they are.
Nov 17, 2015 6:54 PM

Jun 2015
What's new?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.