Forum Settings
Forums

Review: Bring back the "Not Helpful" Button [Waived]

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 17, 2015 2:30 AM

Oct 2009
Veronin said:
The plan is actually to make all these votes (the username, not the IP) visible to users as well so that they can easily see when someone is using multiple accounts to upvote a review.

What if people just use accounts which you can't tell apart from legitimate ones?
Nov 17, 2015 4:00 AM

Jan 2013
There is currently no intention to bring back the "Not Helpful" button. Other sorting mechanics are being worked on to replace it. There have been minor changes to the review system, adding of permalinks, increase of minimum char cap to 500, etc already. Please be patient, the devs are currently working on it, we just don't have an ETA yet.

Serhiyko said:
Veronin said:
The plan is actually to make all these votes (the username, not the IP) visible to users as well so that they can easily see when someone is using multiple accounts to upvote a review.

What if people just use accounts which you can't tell apart from legitimate ones?

As most of these accounts are alternative accounts, they are rather easy to identify (empty lists, no forum posts, etc.). At least one forum moderator works tightly together with the review moderators, so it's possible to check the IP and other things.
Nov 17, 2015 10:13 AM

Jun 2010
_Ghost_ said:
There have been minor changes to the review system, adding of permalinks, increase of minimum char cap to 500, etc already. Please be patient, the devs are currently working on it, we just don't have an ETA yet.

The word you're looking for is faith, not patience.
Patience is something you have when you're waiting for a deadline to be reached or a new update thread to be posted. What we have here is pure faith, like those who believe Jesus will come back someday.

Just 4 posts before me and Comic_Sans reminded that what makes most of the community impatient and in disbelief is the lack of communication, not solely the delay.
Are the new devs some former-NEET otaku who can't speak English or something?

Oh, and I wouldn't use these "minor updates" as examples if I were you.
The hyperlink probably took 3-4 lines of code and the char limit requires a single digit to be changed. If that's what they did in 2 months, more than 1 year since they took over from Crave and more than 3 years since requested... then I'm afraid to guess how long this full revamp gonna take.
xbobxNov 17, 2015 10:44 AM
Nov 17, 2015 12:32 PM

Mar 2014
For some reason you seem to have missed my post, _Ghost_ and Veronin, so I'll go ahead and ask you once again.

How come that we still, after almost three months, haven't heard from the development team? Is it really so exhausting for them to, every now and then, create a thread where they announce how much they've progressed so far? Or are they simply incapable of speaking English? If so, it should be up to one of you moderators to verify how they're doing and then pass on the information to us normal unalmighty MAL users.

No matter how you look at it, upgrading a feature although the new version has not been fully developed yet on a website that has millions and millions of visitors each year and then failing to communicate crucial information to the users for months is not professional.
Comic_SansNov 17, 2015 12:46 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 17, 2015 5:13 PM

Jul 2014
When was MAL ever professional?
Nov 17, 2015 10:31 PM

Mar 2014
OppaiSugoi said:
When was MAL ever professional?
Never, but they should at least try to be
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 17, 2015 10:54 PM

Jan 2013
Comic_Sans said:
How come that we still, after almost three months, haven't heard from the development team? Is it really so exhausting for them to, every now and then, create a thread where they announce how much they've progressed so far? Or are they simply incapable of speaking English? If so, it should be up to one of you moderators to verify how they're doing and then pass on the information to us normal unalmighty MAL users

she has a point you know.
Nov 17, 2015 10:59 PM

May 2015
EvenJellyOn said:
Add it back but let the users who upvote/downvote be showned?

I think butthurt reviewers will spam and insult the people who downvote their reviews
Nov 17, 2015 11:02 PM

Feb 2013
Not gonna happen, son. Get over it.

Nov 17, 2015 11:48 PM

Mar 2013
Lovely said:
I think butthurt reviewers will spam and insult the people who downvote their reviews

I don't believe that would happen any more frequently than the people reading reviews spamming and insulting the reviewer. How often does that happen now?

But it doesn't matter. Think rationally. We will get the Helpful vs Time sorting option in due time. Preferably set on default. Preferably alongside other balancing types of ordering. Until then, just focus on something other than reviews...

From the developer's end, an ETA would be appropriate, however. Elsewhere, it is general courtesy to share it when announcing such a change.
Nov 18, 2015 12:12 AM

Mar 2008
Couldn't we have 'not helpful' as an isolated count? If it doesn't have any direct bearing on ranking/visibility, I don't see why any reviewer would be particularly upset by that. Then we could even have more secondary sorting options (by n-h count or helpful v nh,) which would be invaluable for heavily reviewed entries.

A disagreeing sentiment is just as valuable an indicator as a positive one.
Nov 18, 2015 9:20 AM

Jun 2007
Reviews have now been reduced to 10/10 reviews mass-upvoted by fanboys and 1-4/10 reviews mass-upvoted by 'haters'. So, not a lot has changed, in truth, but there is little to no middle-ground now since the few negative reviews are being boosted to counter the more vanilla 'easy' high-score reviews.

It's the height of incompetence to remove a function, add nothing and give no ETA/updates on "planned updates" for three months. Jut saying...
Nov 18, 2015 5:30 PM

Apr 2014
thx u mods for ruining how ppl find anime to watch

when ppl come and see 4s for anime that have high scores and should be considered good/would have been balanced out with helpful and not helpful, now u ruined an entire system and an entire outlook on new anime fans who take ratings and reviews srsly

idc cuz it doesnt affect me personally but mal review system will now have a big impact on new ppl
Nov 18, 2015 6:56 PM
Mar 2014
I don't think that there are enough reviews to warrant it, though by all means, add it. Its not like animes get thousands of reviews on MAL like games do on Steam though. The "Not Helpful" review will just be added to the bottom of 4 reviews.
Nov 19, 2015 9:16 AM

Jan 2013
Ckan said:
Couldn't we have 'not helpful' as an isolated count? If it doesn't have any direct bearing on ranking/visibility, I don't see why any reviewer would be particularly upset by that. Then we could even have more secondary sorting options (by n-h count or helpful v nh,) which would be invaluable for heavily reviewed entries.

This pls. Ckan knows what's up.

I don't see what the point of removing the feature was. poorly written reviews should be displayed as such.
Nov 19, 2015 11:10 AM

Mar 2013
^ The reason is literally written in the announcement thread and yes, the removal was necessary.

The only thing that isn't necessary is this void time gap where the voting option was removed, but different ordering styles aren't released yet. It would be best released together, but it wasn't; deal with it.

Now, just be patient and wait for those ordering styles, most anticipated being the Helpful vs Time...
Nov 19, 2015 11:38 AM

Jan 2013
^ and it's literally not a solution.

Have it display the users voting, but keep the not helpful votes.

Time does nothing, when not helpful isn't even considered towards to ratio of whether or not a review is validly sound.

Veronin said:
The plan is actually to make all these votes (the username, not the IP) visible to users as well so that they can easily see when someone is using multiple accounts to upvote a review. The unhelpful button was removed primarily because it would not work with this system: reviewers would downvote people who downvoted their own reviews, attack and insult each other, and so on. We'd just be replacing drama with more drama. Making the votes visible only to moderators is also not possible since we do not have the time or resources to investigate every single review in the off chance that there may be vote manipulation. Making it public is the best way to discourage people from doing it and to find the ones who do.

Don't think people would go as far to attack random people nonstop who vote not helpful. //or again, like ckan stated, separate displays.

The entire point of not helpful feature was to distinguish reviews based on percentages of helpfulness. This also gave newer reviews room to be noticed. Your new feature does nothing of the sort.
Nov 19, 2015 1:00 PM

Nov 2014
shuryukan said:

The entire point of not helpful feature was to distinguish reviews based on percentages of helpfulness.

Obviously. It had one job and it sucked in it. Not because the system was bad, but because the community is bad.
Just look at steam reviews. The good reviews there have 80-90+% positive feedback (even if the review was "not recomended"). Here the BEST percentage was around 55-60%. And if you dared to speak shit about some mainstream anime then your review was buried (unless its mainstream to hate that anime, in that case the positive reviews buried).
Nov 19, 2015 1:07 PM

Jan 2013
Delenai said:
shuryukan said:

The entire point of not helpful feature was to distinguish reviews based on percentages of helpfulness.

Obviously. It had one job and it sucked in it. Not because the system was bad, but because the community is bad.
Just look at steam reviews. The good reviews there have 80-90+% positive feedback (even if the review was "not recomended"). Here the BEST percentage was around 55-60%. And if you dared to speak shit about some mainstream anime then your review was buried (unless its mainstream to hate that anime, in that case the positive reviews buried).
While true good reviews had many dislikes, they were still at the top.

Now, there are tons of hate reviews at the top solely because they're hate reviews. This was never an issue before because a large portion of users took consideration into actually clicking not helpful for bad reviews.
Nov 19, 2015 1:22 PM

Nov 2014
shuryukan said:

Now, there are tons of hate reviews at the top solely because they're hate reviews. This was never an issue before because a large portion of users took consideration into actually clicking not helpful for bad reviews.
Show me an example.
So far I didn't see a single hate review that get on the top just because of this change. There were tons of like that before too *cough* SAO *cough*
Nov 19, 2015 1:58 PM

Jan 2013
Delenai said:
shuryukan said:

Show me an example.
So far I didn't see a single hate review that get on the top just because of this change. There were tons of like that before too *cough* SAO *cough*

This actually isn't limited to hate reviews. There are positive reviews as well, but are really poorly written, but stay at top because they're older/ obtained more helpfuls at the very start/are the only or first reviews that go against the norm for the sake of going against the norm, and there's nothing to distinguish the percentage of users that find the review helpful or not.

Here's an example where both the top two reviews are really poorly written. One offers nothing but "it's good, it's awesome" etc. The other provides false information, and is also subject to the same thing the former does, except in the opposite fashion, halfway through the review.

Here is an example where a review remains at the top because it's relatively one of the only ones that praises the show, even though it offers relatively nothing.

Really good example of where more critical, but in depth and honest reviews, get shunned, and the top remains one that spreads misinformation, irrelevant information, random comparisons, and offers no real new insight.

I'm not sure what you were addressing in SAO reviews. All of the top reviews I see are very detailed, well written, and give viewers insight on what to expect.

edit: typos
210125Nov 19, 2015 2:10 PM
Nov 19, 2015 2:38 PM

Nov 2014
@shuryukan

1st example: Nothing much here, you can find these reviews on every overhyped anime. Someone didn't read the manga but hear the hype over it and then when it became an anime he just go "shit is real" and do this kind of review. The other one is a hater or a self-made anime expert (with around 50 titles on his list uhhh...). You can find these kind of kids on EVERY anime page. And yes these reviews are bad, but why? Because they submitted their reviews as soon they can, just like every other reviewer so far (so there aren't a better one). The better reviews will come later, when the anime is runned out or about 3/4. Maybe those will not be on the top, but this can be fixed with some things and not only with bringing back the "not aggree" button.

2nd example: Probably wrong link. The first review that praise the anime is the 5th or 6th (I will not count it)

3rd example: Its not really shunned even the first review only had a little more than 50 votes. I kind of surprized I thought this anime is more famous.

Edit: With the SAO example I meant the hate reviews. I mean its ok to not like it but rate it only 3-1 is just fcking too much.
DelenaiNov 19, 2015 2:45 PM
Nov 19, 2015 2:59 PM

Jan 2013
They didn't last in the past, or at least from what I saw. If there's another solution, I'm all ears, but I'm not quite seeing what this "helpful vs time" suggestion subpyro mentioned can offer.

It's the right link. 5th from 60+ reviews(?) (I stopped after the 5th page) That's amongst the top imo.

Poor choice of words on my part, I suppose. I've nothing against hate reviews if it's supported with actual details and reasoning.. The reviews there rated 1-3, are very thoroughly explained. They are quite lengthy, but if you take the time to read some of them (or just skim if you really don't want to), you'll notice they're not typical troll-hate reviews.

I definitely agree with sub that there's nothing we can really do besides wait at this time, but this thread is still a suggestion, and clearly supported by many people.
Nov 19, 2015 3:16 PM

Nov 2014
This helpful vs time is (e.g.):

A review has 300 helpful and its submitted 30 days ago.
B review has 40 helpful and submitted 1 day ago (quite popular heh?)

The calculation is:

A 300/30=10
B 40/1=40

10<40--->B review will be on the top.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The time passed (30 days) and sadly none of the reviews get new helpful:

A review has 300 helpful and its submitted 60 days ago.
B review has 40 helpful and submitted 31 days ago

The calculation is:

A 300/60=5
B 40/31=~1,3

5>~1.3--->A review will be on the top.

I hope its understandable. Well these are just the basics. It can be further balance with for example not counting days but 2 days or weeks etc.
Nov 19, 2015 3:21 PM

Jan 2013
This again favors older reviews in the long run, while giving newer reviews a very short chance at acquiring any sort of recognition. (emphasis on chance, if their review isn't continuously being upvoted in 'helpful' they will eventually fall)

It further doesn't deal with bad reviews that are on top, at all. And I mean, at all.
210125Nov 19, 2015 3:24 PM
Nov 19, 2015 3:21 PM

Jun 2007
1+1=2, also. Hope that helps.

The best example of this new 'minority mass +1's negative reviews', as if to counter the current review system, is Prison School's current #1 review: http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=30240

8.19 average vs. 3/10 #1 review. Clearly that wouldn't be the case, for better or worse, if users could still up AND downvote reviews. Now it's a case of +1ing 10/10 if you like and +1 1-4/10 if you dislike.
Nov 29, 2015 7:32 AM

Oct 2015
Good or bad is subjective and what's not helpful to you may be extremely helpful to another. I can see some merit in having a button that says not helpful but this can also be abused to push down other people's reviews while propping up others and I don't really like that. It's been horribly abused by the paid reviewers on Amazon for years and it does NOT reflect anything other than people gaming the system.

For instance you say: good anime like High School DxD but I consider High School DxD to be a horrible anime. I don't like it and it's unwatchable to me but that's just my opinion. Your opinion that it is good is every bit as valid as my opinion that it is bad. Good, bad, it's all subjective. Helpful, not helpful is the same. Now if someone's posting a review for freaking pop tarts when it's supposed to be an anime review then I can see it or if they're just way off topic but isn't there already a way to report that?
Nov 29, 2015 8:25 AM

Feb 2011
Ckan said:

agree, now that they have introduced the sorting by only "helpful" and are planning to use that as default on the main anime page, they have already fixed most of the downsides of the "not helpful", by removing it's visibility
so now they could bring it back, since it won't have any effect aside for who is interested in sorting by also including the "not helpful", assuming they include more sorting options by bringing it back

helpful alone can't be used to recognize quality, it can at most recognize popularity (people unable to see the difference is an other problem)
the sorting alone was most of the solution to the "abuse of not helpful", if they had implemented the sorting first they wouldn't have needed to remove the "not helpful"

_Ghost_ said:
Other sorting mechanics are being worked on to replace it.
i've some doubts a sorting can replace a vote
Stupid_Yuji said:
For instance you say: good anime like High School DxD but I consider High School DxD to be a horrible anime. I don't like it and it's unwatchable to me but that's just my opinion.
helpful and not helpful were meant to be used to vote how much the review was helpful=informative, not how much you agreed with the reviewer opinion, and also the not helpful abuse did originate from that misuse of the votes
which is an other reason why positive and negative reviews should be sorted separately, as someone already suggested (regardless if the not helpful is reintroduced or not)

for anyone with other ideas how to improve the reviews, there is a thread with listed most of the suggestions
New ideas and suggestions for reviews

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Apr 28, 2016 6:19 AM

Feb 2015
This is the first sentence of the top rated review for Akame ga Kill!

lonelyintrovert said:
One misconception in the anime industry is that when a show is dark and contains excessive amounts of gore.

What kind of site doesn't let someone down-vote something as despicable as that?
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Apr 28, 2016 6:27 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Duplicate thread merged.

At the moment this still stands.
_Ghost_ said:
There is currently no intention to bring back the "Not Helpful" button. Other sorting mechanics are being worked on to replace it. There have been minor changes to the review system, adding of permalinks, increase of minimum char cap to 500, etc already. Please be patient, the devs are currently working on it, we just don't have an ETA yet.
Apr 28, 2016 5:46 PM

Oct 2012
Caelidesu said:

lonelyintrovert said:
One misconception in the anime industry is that when a show is dark and contains excessive amounts of gore.

What kind of site doesn't let someone down-vote something as despicable as that?

Yea I don't see the point you're trying to make. What part of my review is so despicable? The review was also made when the not helpful button was still there, so it has nothing to do with the not helpful button. If you're trying to make an argument try to be at least somewhat constructive. I can't take you seriously like this.
lollithApr 28, 2016 5:51 PM
Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.
Apr 28, 2016 9:44 PM

Feb 2015
lonelyintrovert said:
Caelidesu said:

Yea I don't see the point you're trying to make. What part of my review is so despicable? The review was also made when the not helpful button was still there, so it has nothing to do with the not helpful button. If you're trying to make an argument try to be at least somewhat constructive. I can't take you seriously like this.

I wasn't picking on you. Your review happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, so to speak. It's just incredibly annoying that I'm no longer able to flag a review with a totally nonsensical opening as 'not helpful'.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Apr 28, 2016 10:58 PM

Apr 2013
I tried sorting the reviews by "most recent", and discovered the harsh truth: most of these new reviews (in the first page) do not even have more than 10 helpful votes.

Not to brag or anything, but when the "Not Helpful" button was still present, my older reviews could amass 10-20 helpful votes (needless to say I am very happy about it), but now it is very difficult to get past the "5 helpful" mark, and the votes will not change anymore after 24 hours had passed since I submitted a review.

This really hurts the newer reviews, at this rate, if you want to get more recognition, either you hastily be the first one to review a series, or review a not so well known series.

Quality, sad to say this but, at the looks of it, seems totally irrelevant.

In some way, the "not helpful" votes are a great indicator to know how well my review is written. Even at say, "10 out of 50 found this review helpful", you will still be glad to know that 50 people had given the time to read (hopefully) and graded your review. But now, all you get is "10 people found this helpful", which obviously sounds very less convincing, as if nobody is reading my review.

I love this site, hopefully the devs can find the best solution and tackle this issue. Currently, I support the idea of bringing back the "not helpful" button and return things as it was before.

Apr 29, 2016 4:18 AM

Apr 2010
I think that this button should be returned only after the implementation of that feature:

4. Due to the massive drama surrounding review voting lately and the opportunity presenting itself, I have asked Xinil to code me the ability to see which user accounts vote on which reviews. I do not currently have an ETA on when we will see this change, but I hope it will be within the next few months. Since this is now in progress, I would like to ask that all reviewers/readers:

• Stop making new accounts to up/down vote reviews immediately. Please do not contribute to the problem and my workload.
• Private message me with the accounts that you have already used to up/down vote reviews. If you take responsibility for your actions now, it will be much less painful than if I need to forcefully encourage you to stop.
• Do not accuse other reviewers of up/down voting reviews. Please do not contribute to the drama.
Once the change is pushed, I will open a request thread in the Support board for requesting your reviews to be checked for down votes.

@Kineta http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=734639

P.S. Any news on this one?
TyrelJun 5, 2016 1:12 PM
Jun 5, 2016 3:04 AM

Jan 2014
I really dont get this trend of websites removing any options that are "negative" in relation to rating something.

Previously on MAL, you could mark a review as "Helpful" or not, contributing to an aggregate score of how many other users thought the same. This was very useful, as you could check the scores of reviews beforehand to judge their quality based on the ratio of likes. Now, as any "Not Helpful" scores have been removed, many garbage reviews sit at the top of review lists simply for being older then others. This feature needs to be added back, badly.

Don't fix what isn't broken, or saw it off and throw it away, for that matter.
Jun 5, 2016 3:34 AM

Apr 2010
Here we go again.

EDIT:

Against.

I do want to return it; however, it should only return when Xinil finally codes this:
BilgameshJun 5, 2016 3:44 AM
Jun 5, 2016 3:50 AM

Dec 2015
There should be "read" and "helpful". "Read" would sound less negative then "not helpful". "Helpful" would mean you have read it (otherwise you could not know wether it was helpful or not) and thought it was helpful.

I agree that a 2nd value is needed.

Otherwise it would be possible to have a review with 40 "helpful" that 4000 people read. And another review with 30 "helpful" that 31 people read. And the one with 40 helpful seems better - which is wrong.

For sites like Facebook where those likes are not important for chosing which posts to read it is okay to not have a 2nd option to dislike or something similar.

But here obviously it is needed to give a good enough info that helps others to decide which review to read.
Jun 5, 2016 9:17 AM

Jan 2013