Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 18, 2015 8:57 AM

Jun 2015
Mika know how to save time
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2015 8:59 AM

Nov 2012
Mika is as cold as ice, doesn't seem phased whatsoever to mow people down.
Oct 18, 2015 9:01 AM
Oct 2010
Pretty brutal episode, they are really going full on with the child soldier theme. Sucks for crank though, I knew he probably wouldn't have made it to the end of the series but damn, he went out pretty early.
Oct 18, 2015 9:07 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Brobot said:
Tokoya said:
I'm willing to bet that their sponsor is that pimp looking guy in the OP lol
you mean Fellini, right?

damn, those kids are pretty ruthless, especially Mika. that's a good thing though makes the setting more believable if you ask me.
+1 for that xDDDD

He totally does look like him lol I didn't realize until now
Oct 18, 2015 9:07 AM

Sep 2012
Mikazuki is becoming one of the best Gundam characters up-to-date. Straight up not giving a damn and doing it for the squad.
Oct 18, 2015 9:13 AM

Jun 2014
great episode
:3
Oct 18, 2015 9:20 AM
May 2015
Blood iron is a great anime just great action and Kudellia is super cute I like her with both Orge and Mika but more so with Mika. and the next episode looks great.
Oct 18, 2015 9:26 AM
Apr 2014
went from 10/10 to 6/10 in 1 episode. I hate when gundam gets edgy.

*Guy wants to dual, does not want to kill anyone.*
*Huu durr edgy idealistic anime character "Orga said I can kill you."
*Hurr durr I care about my comrades, but will kill anyone without emotion.*

That's not how it works....... Hopefully, they drop this idealistic nonsense and tell some real story with real emotion. Otherwise I might as well be watching idolmaster.......

I would love a gundam that's not edgy and idealistic.
RyushenOct 18, 2015 9:36 AM
Oct 18, 2015 9:36 AM
Jan 2011
Ryushen said:

But this one is real. Death really is the only outcome for Crank as Orga can not accept Crank's proposal with the possiblity that it is inexecutable.
Oct 18, 2015 9:46 AM
May 2015
KanameFujiwara said:
Ryushen said:

But this one is real. Death really is the only outcome for Crank as Orga can not accept Crank's proposal with the possiblity that it is inexecutable.

Dont mind him he seem like he a troll
Oct 18, 2015 9:46 AM
Apr 2014
He came out to the battle alone. Wanted to dual 1v1. Had a communication system, but didn't use it. Didn't Orga think why is he not getting any backup, even after he died...... All of his attacks were to injure the mobile suit, not the cockpit.

Now that I think about it, After Crank died everything just went back to normal LOLOLOLOL. No one thought hmmm I wonder why the enimy didn't find our location after we killed that solider, is it because..... he actually came out here alone and was telling the truth.......................

Once you actually think about that scene, you can almost feel the childish, idealistic edgy writing.
RyushenOct 18, 2015 10:03 AM
Oct 18, 2015 9:54 AM

Nov 2007
Ryushen said:

That's not how it works.......

Actually, that's how it works. You expect him to show emotion even when he is not your usual grown up fa66ot who would do the same in real world having seen his friends killed by an enemy? Even trained army personnel have record of doing so in real world.

Ryushen said:
He came out to the battle alone. Wanted to dual 1v1. Had a communication system, but didn't use it. Didn't Orga think why is he not getting any backup, even after he died...... All of his attacks were to injure the mobile suit, not the cockpit.

Once you actually think about that scene, you can almost feel the childish, idealistic edgy writing.

Once I read your comment, I can almost feel the childish, idealistic edgy comment by you sir.

Anyways, Atra noticed there was something off about Mika even though no one else did before he gave that fa66ot two bullets of his mind. Felt great.

While I felt bad for Crank, he had an honorable death and the episode was dedicated to him if you just go by the title of the episode so it's all good. It will help Ein's character grow, which will be needed in the long run.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 18, 2015 9:54 AM
Apr 2014
Sorry, I'm actually originally a movie buff. I can't stand childish writing and storytelling, looking at the writers work history, maybe she should of stuck to rom-coms and slice of lifes. Hopefully this gets better, until then it's pretty much a wreck.
Oct 18, 2015 9:56 AM
Apr 2014
I like how you make a personal attack when I'm just stating an opinion. Stop being butthurt just because I don't agree with you.
Oct 18, 2015 9:56 AM

Feb 2014
I see the Anohana in it with its very cute humor. But to put it in simpler terms Mika has no care for anything called the human life. Still claiming the best of the season. But this season is the best anyways so we will see

♪All his life has been, a roller coaster ride of dream
No time for looking back, forgetting who or what
His song is all that he leaves behind,
On silent nights I hear him still, whistling a tune I know so well
Gun in hand, rose in another, He's Lupin the 3rd♪

Oct 18, 2015 9:57 AM

Jun 2013
Ryushen said:

That's not how it works....... Hopefully, they drop this idealistic nonsense and tell some real story with real emotion. Otherwise I might as well be watching idolmaster.......

>not edgy
>your picture is literally pyramid head from sh2
Oct 18, 2015 10:13 AM

Nov 2007
taylor_micahl said:
Ryushen said:

Dont mind him he seem like he a troll

Oops. Sorry, didn't see this comment. Thanks. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 18, 2015 10:34 AM

Jul 2009
Faku-chan said:
10th_man_down said:
Mika is ruthless and I love it.

Came here to say that.

+1

ex_necross said:
Ryushen said:

>not edgy
>your picture is literally pyramid head from sh2

He sounds like one of those trolls who comes to talk s**t on every new show, would be better ignore to him and save yourself a bit of your time and energy.
Oct 18, 2015 10:44 AM

Jan 2013
Mikazuki being a boss again, he just doesn't give a fu**k xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 18, 2015 10:50 AM

Dec 2011
Its getting really good, but I wish the fights could've been a little longer. So far the fights with Barbatos have been short.

I love how Orga finally took over, and Tekkadan is a nice sounding name. I wanna see them change uniforms soon to that of that new group.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2015 11:44 AM

Feb 2014
Right now this series is striking a perfect balance of story, character introduction and action. Strongest newcomer of the season in my opinion.
Oct 18, 2015 11:52 AM

Dec 2013
Ryushen said:

They are child soldiers remember? Do you realize in what conditions they were raised and grew up? Do you expect the child to feel anything towards a man whose party has killed so many of his friends, even if the man is more humane than others?

I really didn't think the series was too deep for someone.
Oct 18, 2015 11:59 AM

Jun 2015
eXtacy67 said:
Right now this series is striking a perfect balance of story, character introduction and action. Strongest newcomer of the season in my opinion.
Oct 18, 2015 12:13 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Damn, Mika is savage.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 18, 2015 12:16 PM

Sep 2010
Dang Mika ya cray cray son of a bitch.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 18, 2015 12:21 PM
Nov 2012
Ryushen said:

Nothing about the scene is edgy or idealistic as far as Mika and the orphans are concerned.

1. Mika does precisely what he set out to do: kill the enemy. Sure he engaged in some conversation to satisfy some curiosity as to why Crank attacked, but once the latter made it clear that he wanted to die, Mika offed him as he wished. Mika doesn't spout pointless platitudes about war and peace or personal beliefs, he just fights for his friends, especially the orders of his best friend. Also, just because he cares about his friends doesn't mean he has to extend the same courtesy to his enemies.
2. As Orga said, the guy can't be trusted, and that there's no reason to believe that his offer is genuine. We as the audience know Crank's honesty, but the characters in the show don't. They have no reason to keep him alive, as he's a potential threat.
3. People in real life have killed others for less than rational reasons. In this situation where the orphans have all the logical reason to kill Crank, why would being killed at the hands of someone who has been ordered to kill him be "idealistic"?

Everything done in this episode was done with a pragmatic mindset, with the most idealism being displayed by Crank himself, who held on to the belief that these child soldiers are victims who shouldn't be fighting, and who thought that his duel would change anything. Mika's reaction though is that of someone who was forced to grow up fast, receiving a soldierly mindset in regards to death and murder. He has no illusions of "understanding" that many recent Gundams have; that might change in the future, but it is not in this episode. He just goes out, corrects some misconceptions that Crank has, and then kills him.

In fact, expecting the grizzled company of the orphans, who had faced death and loss at the hands of Gjallarhorn, to just suddenly take their enemy's word at face value is in and of itself idealistic and unrealistic. Because in fact, that is how it works.

As for "Edgy", "Edgy" is when a work tries to be broody and "dark" for no discernable reason as determined by the plot. For the past three episodes of this show though, they've been laying out the harsh reality of the orphan's situation, and then showing what their actions, reactions and thoughts would be based off said situation, and so far their actions have been naturally emergent from that, and not simply being "edgy" for the sake of "edgy". Child soldiers who fight for themselves and their comrades won't be forgiving or considerate of their enemies, no matter how noble their intentions might be. And yet the characters are not "dark" or "broody" for "edginess" sake, as shown in moments like Orga supposedly giving the former members of 1st Squad their rightful severance pay, or his decision to not simply give Kudelia to Gallarjhorn. These are decisions in the story that so far are done because of what we understand of the characters and their situations, rather than the writer going "how dark can we make it happen"?

You say you're looking for a Gundam that's not edgy and idealistic. In my view, the past three episodes of Iron-Blooded Orphans should be exactly what you're looking for, so I'm not sure why you completely missed it.
SayuriUlianaOct 18, 2015 12:25 PM
Oct 18, 2015 12:22 PM

Mar 2010
Mika and Orga are bad-ass and I love their characters. I hope Kudelia will become a better character and do something and not just be a drag or a damsel in distress.
Also I like these honorable men like Crank who wanted to fight one on one. At least he got a rather honorable death.
Oct 18, 2015 12:24 PM
Aug 2015
Ryushen said:

May I ask what Gundam series is not edgy?
Oct 18, 2015 1:02 PM

Oct 2007
Ken_Chen said:
Ryushen said:

Turn A Gundam, Gundam Build Fighters, G-Reco, SD Gundam, and to some extent G Gundam are pretty laid back, but those are also the ones that are least about being in the thick of a war.
Oct 18, 2015 1:19 PM

Dec 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Ken_Chen said:

Turn A Gundam, Gundam Build Fighters, G-Reco, SD Gundam, and to some extent G Gundam are pretty laid back, but those are also the ones that are least about being in the thick of a war.

Edgy is a fucking buzzword why are you even continuing this stupid conversation
Oct 18, 2015 1:29 PM

Dec 2013
ex_necross said:
blitz_21x said:
sad that this anime didnt get much attention from the rest of the world. anyway, mika is a soulless kid. i get a feeling he will die soon, or atleast before this anime ends.

It's getting an astronomical amount of attention in the only place that matters for anime, Japan. You should see the threads on 2ch etc. 4k posts in no time at all. Constantly on top of everything, even that overhyped vampire show. Japan loves this shit.

Though, based on what I've seen so far, I wouldn't really call this a Gundam show. At the very least it's a brand new direction for Gundam, but that's to be expected from Mari. It's good for a season (no doubt AOTS, don't think anyone can disagree with that), but I hope it ends after this and we go back to more traditional Gundams.

Definitely agree here. Three episodes in, and I still cannot convince myself to categorize this as Gundam. For the most part, they've done something that I haven't seen since the likes of The 08th MS Team and War in Pocket. I don't mean the idealistic philosophical stuff they normally entail with most Gundams, but the more "down to human level" characterization of the cast, and the overall micro-scoping of the story. It's kind of hard to explain really.

They'll probably get to the more epic macro-scoping of the war between the various factions on Earth and in space (I would expect so since they have 20+ episodes), but for the first three episodes, and judging by the preview the 4th as well, it feels very much like we're only seeing the smaller picture. It's sorta novel, but it doesn't "feel" like Gundam normally does.

That said, Mika and Orga's relationship is awesome. I really like the dynamic that they pull between them. Both of them are not hesitant in getting the job done, whether it be putting a bullet between someone's eyes, or sorting out the company's finance so it doesn't go under, and they're both ruthlessly efficient at doing it too. Mika is truly a copy of Heero Yuy, though Orga is more Trowa than Duo as a character, but they complement each other oh so well.

Looking forward to seeing more of this show, as an unconventional Gundam it's been quite entertaining.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 18, 2015 1:30 PM

Jan 2015
Best episode so far but I fucking hate Mikazuki, what an annoying main chara
Oct 18, 2015 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
The fight between Crank and Mikazuki was nice!
Oct 18, 2015 2:16 PM

Apr 2012
Brobot said:
Tokoya said:
I'm willing to bet that their sponsor is that pimp looking guy in the OP lol
you mean Fellini, right?

damn, those kids are pretty ruthless, especially Mika. that's a good thing though makes the setting more believable if you ask me.

Lol so i'm not the only one who noticed :D
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Oct 18, 2015 2:25 PM

Feb 2012
Tanktop Hitler was always the soft adult, wasn't surprised he joined their side.
Finally a MC that doesn't struggle with "Killing is bad" deontological bullshit.
Oct 18, 2015 2:31 PM

Apr 2009
Excellent episode. I realized the icon on the back of their jackets in the OP must be the Tekkadan icon.
Oct 18, 2015 3:45 PM

Apr 2013
R.I.P "Ramba Ral" look alike. I can kinda relate to some of the MC's actions in the U.C but right now the only thing I see in Mikazuki is him http://myanimelist.net/character/103693/Inaho_Kaizuka and I'm a bit worried.
Oct 18, 2015 3:47 PM

Nov 2011
Mikazuki is way more screwed up than I expected. On the one hand I feel like he's a little too perfect for his role, yet on the other I feel like there's a ton of potential development and growth to be unearthed with such a start. I also find it refreshing compared to other Gundams; where your typical Gundam MC would (understandably) struggle with killing and war, this time around we're being given a scarred MC who is mostly callous to it. I'm very interested in what direction they plan to take there, given how different it is.

The dynamic between Mika and Orga continues to be great, and I'm really liking Kudelia's character as well.

Crank was a refreshing antagonist since he was actually a good guy. It's unfortunate that he ended up dying, but I understand why that's what he wanted.

This show has so much potential. Wow.
Oct 18, 2015 5:30 PM

Jan 2011
Mikazuki is so ruthless; he doesn't even hesitate to follow Orga's orders to kill. He took out the leader of the first group of CGS easily and ended Crank's life cleanly after defeating his mecha. Kudelia really wants to fight as well in her own way. I like the name Tekkadan meaning Iron Flower as their new group name. Kudelia is a nice female character that I hope becomes useful later on.
Oct 18, 2015 5:34 PM

Jan 2011
damn Mikazuki is cold blooded looking forward to seeing why he is so loyal to Orga i feel like he might not have killed Crank if it weren't for his orders to do so.

we're 3 for 3 boys now we just need to make it to the 2nd cour without this turning to shit!
Oct 18, 2015 5:43 PM
May 2015
I just see Orga as a necessary stepping stone for Mikazuki to grow into his own. Gonna say Orga dies piloting Barbatos or something. Still don't know whether to ship MikaxKude since she's older than him....2 years I think? Though I don't think that matters
Oct 18, 2015 5:48 PM
Oct 2015
First time poster and I'm glad it's about this series. Really loving this anime so far. Kudelia is a likable female lead and Mikazuki and Orga are just badasses. Was hoping to see more of Crank though. He seemed like a good guy.
Oct 18, 2015 5:53 PM

Jun 2015
SovereignSky said:
I just see Orga as a necessary stepping stone for Mikazuki to grow into his own. Gonna say Orga dies piloting Barbatos or something. Still don't know whether to ship MikaxKude since she's older than him....2 years I think? Though I don't think that matters

Well it's obvious she's half in love with him already XD
Oct 18, 2015 6:06 PM

Apr 2012
Mikazuki is the perfect child soldier. 0 negotiations. You talk back you die lol.
I don't know what constitutes a traditional gundam show since I've only seen Gundam 00, but I'm enjoying this show a lot. Kudelia still annoys me because she is pretty much the cookie cutter ideologue character similar to those of Gundam 00 plus she is the typical damzel in distress, which compounds the annoyance
zzzeallyOct 18, 2015 6:12 PM

Oct 18, 2015 6:38 PM
Oct 2015
I'd like to note I really loved this episode and lol @ the guy calling this idealistic and edgy, that got a chuckle out of me. I guess killing an idealist makes this an idealistic anime!

Also someone mentioned SEED wasn't conventional - the second half wasn't, but the first half was definitively a re-imagining of Gundam. On that note, the story telling was very unconventional because there were points where it felt like Gundam Days Of Our Lives.

Zeally said:
Mikazuki is the perfect child soldier. 0 negotiations. You talk back you die lol.
I don't know what constitutes a traditional gundam show since I've only seen Gundam 00, but I'm enjoying this show a lot. Kudelia still annoys me because she is pretty much the cookie cutter ideologue character similar to those of Gundam 00 plus she is the typical damzel in distress, which compounds the annoyance

Traditional Gundam is when the MC/audience is placed square in the middle of a conflict and the main protagonist (a teenager, typically 15-17 years old) hops into a prototype mobile suit/Gundam and fights back against the enemy faction. There is a very clear and distinct war going on and the protagonist finds themselves in the middle of it. I've never seen SEED Destiny but I've seen the first episode of AGE and I can tell you this applies to just about everything but 00 and Wing. G subverts this greatly for obvious reasons, and X has the "protagonist falls into the cockpit" thing but X is also very atypical.

Everything but X, 00, and Wing have a distinct conflict between two factions, and the characters are fighting for what is typically the Earth Federation faction against a bunch of spacenoids who are disgruntled. 00 and Wing has the protagonists starting the conflict themselves in the name of a certain ideal - 00's being the whole Aeolia plan and Wing being - I believe, since it's been a while since I've watched Wing - spacenoid independence and rebellion against OZ.

It's just the idea that war was declared pretty much instantly everywhere else but over here there is no such thing. It's a lot more like Gundam X where everyone is just fighting to live, but Gundam X had some ideals behind it (namely Jamil's PTSD and wanting to protect newtypes from being abused by the military). This is literally just no ideals, not fighting for a particular faction, and being hired guns who are just fighting to put food on the table. I think the closest Gundam has ever gotten to this sort of "brothers-in-arms" atmosphere since 08th MS Team (whose entire purpose was arguably to portray this) and Gundam X.

But even then, Gundam X still "felt" like Gundam. Could be the whole newtypes thing, could be the colony drop thing, could be that Jamil and Lancerow were basically the Amuro and Char of the war they fought in. It's also the fact that Garrod just fell into the cockpit of a Gundam in the middle of conflict, as well as having the benefit of hindsight of them actually going into space. In fact, it could just be the newtypes thing and the fact that the backstory is basically "what if there were Colony Drops that made Operation British look like a Karate Class?"

IBO has absolutely none of these elements except for a Gundam that's not even a super prototype so much as an ancient weapon. Well, they do have these elements but they're basically changed in a way that you have to think a little harder to recognize it.

Sorry if I came off as rambling, here's a Simpsons video to excuse it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpMLIUzE9h8
lraven17Oct 18, 2015 6:44 PM
Oct 18, 2015 6:56 PM

Sep 2011
This is a series we so desperately needed for the franchise, it actually feels like a real fucking gundam series for once without relying on ripping off the UC so far. Mika isnt as psychotic as kammile was at the start of zeta but hes pretty up there in terms of being messed up in the head out of the gundam leads, actually i think hes as psychotic as heero from wing was but the only difference is mika is actually fucking competent enough to follow through on his threats. I like the ruthlessness cause it makes him seem like an actual child soldier robbed of his innocence but i do hope they make him develop out of that, aina is definetly gonna be his love interest so im assuming she might play a big part in potential development if they follow through on it.

Anywho hyped to see where this goes, this was a much needed addition to the franchise after the previous disaster of a show.

robis798 said:
I'd love at least a bit of emotional strain to be visible in Mikazuki after actually killing people and quite a few at that. But aside from that, very nice episode.
Well he is a child soldier, they are fucking ruthless.
JizzyHitlerOct 18, 2015 7:02 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 18, 2015 8:23 PM

Aug 2007
Mika's actions are perfectly consistent with his being a child soldier. That he should have spared Crank strikes me as absolutely ridiculous and yet I suspect a lot of former Gundam MCs would have done just that.

But what truly shows that Mika's upbringing has made him immune to qualms about killing is how he offs their former boss who is unarmed and bound. Yet it makes perfect sense that he should do it.
Short of Setsuna or Heero, both also child soldiers, I can't see many other Gundam MCs doing it without even batting an eyelash.

I suggest that everyone who claims that these kids are 'too ruthless' to read some interviews given by real, former child soldiers. All of which claim that when you are brought up to kill in order to survive, it stops being that great a deal. Hell, even grownup soldiers often express the same emotions (or lack thereof).
Oct 18, 2015 8:55 PM
Sep 2013
not sure how im feeling about the overall story, but a merciless main character was refreshing to see
Oct 18, 2015 9:12 PM
Feb 2010
ex_necross said:
Valkata said:
For me the BEST GUNDAM after 00 ...

When people make this statement, I can only hope they were forgetting about Unicorn..

The best Gundam "TV Show" Unicorn was an "OVA".

Given how Mika so easily shot the two guys in the "takeover" scene it makes me wonder if he is the only character who has ever actually fired a gun with his bare hands and not just from a mobile worker's cockpit. Considering that this was Orga's idea, and all he did was kick the former boss while asking Mika to get his hands bloody says something about him.
iCardsOct 18, 2015 9:18 PM
Oct 18, 2015 9:48 PM

Jun 2009
Damn Mika is intense as hell. I'm starting to warm up to the Young Miss as well.

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 11, 2015

160 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Yesterday, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2015

285 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Apr 23, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2016

118 by wallus81 »»
Apr 12, 4:44 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2016

128 by wallus81 »»
Apr 12, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2015

168 by wallus81 »»
Apr 7, 2:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.