Nov 2013
Zeally said:
i'm gonna go embrace hummingbird

payce niggas

Already there
Oct 16, 2015 8:47 PM

Dec 2012
ExTamplier said:
Reaction gifs are a negative feedback as well.
Feedback is used as a basis for improvement. So no, simply linking reaction gifs in your posts without anything else is not feedback. It's spam.

This thread has several examples of "feedback".
Oct 16, 2015 8:49 PM

May 2008
Hederick said:
ExTamplier said:
Feedback is used as a basis for improvement. So no, simply linking reaction gifs in your posts without anything else is not feedback. It's spam.

Yes it is.

It's someone expressing that they don't like the change. There are plenty of text posts with people saying "NOOOO" and "I hate it" and they're not being deleted, but aren't they exactly the same as a gif of someone having a negative reaction?

EDIT: I'm not even trying to troll or anything, I'm just curious as to why text posts like I mentioned are okay, but gifs that express an exact opinion are not. They seem to be the same kind of thing to me.
Zazie122Oct 16, 2015 8:53 PM
Oct 16, 2015 8:49 PM

Jun 2013
Neat. Statistics are improved, anime and manga updates are seperated, and of course 10 favorites finally.

The personal site section irks me thou,"also available at"?? seriously??

Kudos to the changes overall so yeah..
Oct 16, 2015 8:50 PM

Sep 2011
Anyway, I'll give my opinion now since I haven't. I'm not totally against it, but the option of being able to see what I wanna see is what I hoped we would get.

What I Like:
Color coding for statistics
More favorites

The only real dislike I have, and my main gripe, is the About me being above statistics, and then statistics being below that, while your comments are below that.

I would rather see my statistics at the top, then my about me, followed up by my comments, if anything.

Another thing I dislike is the arrow shit. God I hate those arrows. I just spoiler tagged my about me so that I don't gotta click the arrow, but rather the spoiler tag.
Oct 16, 2015 8:50 PM

Dec 2012
Oxalias said:
I also noticed: what happened to my not specified gender?
It's in the very first post:
Gender: Not Specified is now hidden, to enable the addition of future gender options.
So if you don't want to specify your gender, it's just hidden now.
Oct 16, 2015 8:52 PM

Nov 2013
Zeally said:
i'm gonna go embrace hummingbird

payce niggas

It's not so bad. It looks more social though compared to this site, kind of like anime twitter or something. I don't know how I feel about it yet.
Oct 16, 2015 8:54 PM

Nov 2014
Hederick said:
ExTamplier said:
Feedback is used as a basis for improvement.
Looked up on google, didn't you?

Oct 16, 2015 8:56 PM

Sep 2011
TsundereHeart said:
And I do think there are some positives to the change, like the design of individual elements is alright, just not the overall layout. So currently the negatives outweight the positives for me (and according to a poll, same with ~70% of MAL)
You can't take a Casual Discussion poll seriously when most users on this site don't even browse it.

Aug 2011
Was this designed by Google

May 2008
DraconisMarch said:
Was this designed by Google

No, there's not enough white.
Oct 16, 2015 8:58 PM

Jul 2010
Waiting for script that can make this tolerable again.
Oct 16, 2015 8:58 PM

Jan 2013
Tyrel said:
TsundereHeart said:
And I do think there are some positives to the change, like the design of individual elements is alright, just not the overall layout. So currently the negatives outweight the positives for me (and according to a poll, same with ~70% of MAL)
You can't take a Casual Discussion poll seriously when most users on this site don't even browse it.
Considering many users who don't even frequent forums came to forums giving their negative feedback, it's likely >70%
Oct 16, 2015 9:00 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
KingYoshi said:
Question...

Is the "About Me" section still 65535 characters?

Anyone?

lockyy said:
Wow, I already got used to the new design. I like it so far. People need to stop resisting change and deal with it. There's no going back to the old unappealing format. Sometimes, someone has to bite the bullet and push us forward and I wholesomely welcome it.

Thanks for your wisdom MR. 8 posts. Change for the sake of change is nonsense. Since you said we are being "pushed forward," what exactly are we pushing toward? This change didn't revolutionize anything.

Tyrel said:

The only real dislike I have, and my main gripe, is the About me being above statistics, and then statistics being below that, while your comments are below that.

Yeah, I didn't like that either. This userscript swaps the Statistics back to how it was (above the about me)... https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/13110-myanimelist-mal-profile-switch-2
Oct 16, 2015 9:04 PM

Sep 2011
TsundereHeart said:
Tyrel said:
Do you have some better metric?

I'm sure more than 70% of the feedback posts in this thread are telling Xinil how much it sucks, and this is with the mods deleting some of the negative posts. I don't really think there's any indication that more people like this than don't while we have a strong indicators for the opposite.
Stop making assumptions lmao. If you think that's the case, then there would be way less pages than it currently is.
Oct 16, 2015 9:10 PM

Oct 2014
KingYoshi said:

Thanks for your wisdom MR. 8 posts. Change for the sake of change is nonsense. Since you said we are being "pushed forward," what exactly are we pushing toward? This change didn't revolutionize anything.

My post count shouldn't matter as I frequently and extensively browse the forums, but I don't necessarily have to voice my opinion, however this being an exception.

As for the change you question me about, didn't many users want a new clean design and a better looking profile? The devs listened and this is what they came up with. It is with flaws but so many posts are just "I want to revert back" or "This sucks, change it." Only a select few enjoy the new features, like more favs removing outdated links, better stats box (debatable), cleaner look.

On another note, I do agree that the About Me section should be moved down and stats should be on top. I would actually like to see something like what RedUbs posted, as it is a better compromise.

RedUbs said:

lockyOct 16, 2015 9:14 PM
Oct 16, 2015 9:11 PM

May 2013
I would suggest that you'd allow us to pick the anime our character is from. For example, most characters from Clannad are labelled under "Clannad Movie", when in actuality, the majority of people probably liked their appearance in Clannad or After Story more. Just a quick thought.
Oct 16, 2015 9:12 PM

Jan 2013
lockyy said:
As for the change you question me about, didn't many users want a new clean design and a better looking profile? The devs listened and this is what they came up with. It is with flaws but so many posts are just "I want to revert back" or "This sucks, change it." Only a select few enjoy the new features.

Then clearly something is wrong with this change if that's the case.
Oct 16, 2015 9:13 PM

Sep 2011
TsundereHeart said:
Tyrel said:
Stop making assumptions lmao. If you think that's the case, then there would be way less pages than it currently is.
I said some, not every single one. Tell me if I'm wrong but with posts like these
_Ghost_ said:
Thread Cleaned

Removed spam, quote chaining, reaction images, off-topic posts, baiting, trolling.

Please don't make it harder to find identified bugs, and suggestions by posting unnecessary stuff.
Zazie122 said:
Negative opinions are still negative opinions even if they're "trolling" or "reaction images".
I think its hard to believe that all of these "off-topic" posts were just posted for shits and giggles and weren't related to the fact that a lot of people simply don't like the new layout.
I read wrong. Kinda tired, but I read it as deleting negative posts as a whole. My bad. I already know the spam like posts are being deleted.
Oct 16, 2015 9:14 PM

Nov 2014
Tyrel, calm down. You don't have to defend anyone.

Oct 16, 2015 9:25 PM

May 2008
I'd change the colours to be completely blue. Maybe something like this?

It doesn't seem as all over the place as with the green, red and yellow.
Oct 16, 2015 9:27 PM

Dec 2013
So, I saw my profile and read some replies here. I can't believe the amount bashing this is getting. Sure it could use some improvements, but it doesn't look half as bad as a lot of people say.
Oct 16, 2015 9:28 PM

May 2008
Undim said:

For me, it would be a bit difficult to discern the shades meaningfully in quick order.

Yeah, but it should still be more uniform.

I put that together in about 30 seconds for a general idea, so :V.
Oct 16, 2015 9:29 PM

Aug 2009
I would prefer to have the anime/manga list + stats on top and the user information below. Aside from that it's not bad. Will get use to it soon.
Oct 16, 2015 9:30 PM

Oct 2014
Kyalla said:
So, I saw my profile and read some replies here. I can't believe the amount bashing this is getting. Sure it could use some improvements, but it doesn't look half as bad as a lot of people say.

^^^^^^

No one gets that its still subject to change! It's a step towards the right direction, but everyone keeps putting it down.
Oct 16, 2015 9:32 PM

Sep 2013
I finally discovered who designed the new profile layout.

It was the Potato Development Team.

Oct 16, 2015 9:54 PM

Nov 2014
Echelon said:

Haha, yeah.

Seriously though, not everyone has the artistic talent to design profiles like that, nor do I imagine other users will continually enjoy helping out hundreds, thousands other members who probably request this sort of thing.

It's not that difficult to do. If you crop the profile picture at a width of 225px, and the body image at a width of 800px, everything lines up. I'm skipping a few steps, but that's the general idea.

Here's the update for my profile (from what I hear):

I can't see it myself because the server is still transferring my profile picture.

Could someone give me a full screenshot of it?
Oct 16, 2015 9:55 PM

Jan 2012
Mess.

Except for characters, I don't have my favorites filled up to ten so there're gaping holes right in the middle of my profile. How hideous. The arrow...ain't nobody got time for that. It's okay for the about me section since people tend to have a lot of pictures/youtube videos. And who thought it's a good idea to put about me section on top? This is myanimelist, stats must be on top. What's with the colorful bars everywhere hurting my eyes? Not to mention how unorganized the current stats looks. At least, make it look balance. Manga stats should be next to anime stats. Last anime update should be under/above anime stats, respectively. Have I already mentioned the colors? Get rid of friends section.

tldr
Main issue is everything's being thrown out to the right side of the page. Too packed. Too crowded. Left are bunch of unnecessary item. The balance is almost nonexistence.

+10 favs (kinda pointless when i have to click them)
+ rewatched
+ comments (ehh not too bad i guess. comment box looks messy in the middle of the page but you don't have to scroll all the way bottom to write)
+ modern looking

Thanks staff/mods/whoever in charge. I appreciate your hard work but I prefer the old design.
Oct 16, 2015 9:57 PM

Jan 2015
Cool, but I don't like that "cut-off" arrow to hide sections longer than 1000px in the About Me section
Oct 16, 2015 9:57 PM

Jul 2014
Gee, first the review section takes a shit and now profiles are screwed. What's next, overhaul forums? Oops!
Oct 16, 2015 10:03 PM

Nov 2014
TsundereHeart said:
Here you go

Thank you very much.
Oct 16, 2015 10:16 PM

Apr 2013
why we didn' see the number of episode in this (Re-watching -/78 · Scored 8)
Oct 16, 2015 10:19 PM

Jan 2014
Now that I'm used to it, it looks cool ;D
Oct 16, 2015 10:19 PM

Apr 2013
why is the button edit for the anime (Kyou kara Maou! (edit...)) in the watching list.
Oct 16, 2015 10:26 PM

May 2008
Could you remove the drop down arrows since they mess up everything? Thanks.
Oct 16, 2015 10:26 PM

May 2014
AkiHime_ said:
I like the new stats but I really liked it better when I had my favorites on the left side of my screen...

Preach! I feel like the faves-on-left added a better visual flow down from the profile pic, which isn't even that useful now that there's the whole description box to work with up top. Plus there's the fact that the favorites are now competing with each other for visual attention in their cramped little grid pattern. I can hardly look at the middle columns clearly.
Oct 16, 2015 10:37 PM

Jun 2010
To be honest, I have some qualms about this new setup MAL has made. Though it's definitely better in some areas, it was fine the way it was in most others. For instance, why are the statistics and updates down at the bottom now? Another issue is that the statistics bar is now integrated into one bar instead of one for each type. If we're going for an integrated chart, then why not a pie chart? My last issue is the expand button for the profile page. It seems rather unnecessary to have.

And since everyone else is saying it, I'll say it too. Putting statistics below the profile stuff was not a smart move. Need to change it back quick or might lose some fans. Oh, and please remove the drop down button too......everyone is right, it's really annoying.
napolean86Oct 16, 2015 10:42 PM
Oct 16, 2015 10:48 PM

Jun 2010
lockyy said:
Kyalla said:

^^^^^^

No one gets that its still subject to change! It's a step towards the right direction, but everyone keeps putting it down.

The fact that it's getting so much flak would seem to indicate that people liked it better the way it was before. Aside from the info under the Profile picture itself, the structure of the Profile page should have been left alone.
Oct 16, 2015 10:54 PM

Apr 2015
I like the new one, but I really liked it when it listed the recent blog posts I made. Can you guys please redesign the bog section as well? ^_^
Oct 16, 2015 11:06 PM

Jun 2010
OP said:
An expand arrow was added because many users resisted the idea of favorites increasing in the suggestions thread and because the expanded section is quite long. The arrow was the best compromise between users that wanted more favorites and users that did not.

This doesn't make sense at all.
If the concern was length, then add the arrows to the "Comments" section. They've always been HUGE, to the point I ended up using spoiler tags when writing longer replies, and now it's just bigger than ever.
If the old thumbnail size for favorites had been maintained, 10 in a row wouldn't even take more than 800px.
"Oh but some users asked for bigger pics"
Well then them it won't happen. Use the "About Me" or "Blogs" if you want to display larger images, like it's been done during the past years.

It's understandable a lot of users were against increasing the number of favorites, I'd be one of them. But nobody asked for having their favorite characters and people cut in the half.
xbobxOct 16, 2015 11:09 PM
Oct 16, 2015 11:17 PM

Feb 2012
Stats should be at the top, profile pics at middle and comments at bottom like before. The favorite section should only show the first 2 in each column, otherwise it takes up too much space. Lastly, perhaps add a global score under your Mean score.

Other than that, I like it. Definitely other improvements that can be made but for now those are my main suggestions.

Anyone crying to change it back needs to accept change. This site needs to be updated. This is a good first step.
Oct 16, 2015 11:18 PM

Jun 2013
This is fucking garbage. Sorry, but I have to speak my mind.

Please give an option to revert to the old style.
Oct 16, 2015 11:22 PM

Apr 2014
looks like malgraph and my list are the only things ima be using because my profile is basically rendered useless at this point

oh and please don't try to bully other sites out like malgraph or its mirrored version

u tried to seasonal chart but anichart still is the best
Oct 16, 2015 11:25 PM

Sep 2009
I was pretty apprehensive at first, but I do like the change a lot. I do wish the About Me section wasn't at the top of the page, because it's largely a waste of space.
Oct 16, 2015 11:31 PM

Apr 2015
What happened to the compatibility feature. Still good though
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 16, 2015 11:35 PM

Jun 2010
Anticlimatic said:
What happened to the compatibility feature.

MAL rediscovered math by transforming 0~50% into negative percentages!
Oct 16, 2015 11:42 PM

Jun 2013
Anticlimatic said:

The compatibility thing was complete nonsense. I had a very high compatibility rating with several people who I was basically the complete opposite of. They didn't like any of the shit I like, and all of their high rated anime were stuff I hated.

Then I'll come across people who I strongly agree with, they like all the stuff I like, the same genres, lots of anime in common, etc, and I'll have a low 60% with them.

Whatever formula they use is wrong. It doesn't make any logical sense.
Oct 16, 2015 11:43 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
@Gender: Love you too, MAL! <33

I understand the reason why the 'About Me' section was placed on top, but I feel it's there at the sacrifice of something the MAL community valued more.;; We've lost the ability to see our stats without having to scroll or click.

"As previously stated, better integration of the other profile tabs into the new profile landing page, possibly with improved designs."
-I hope this involves maybe placing 'Clubs' in a place you don't have to scroll to! Right now the clubs page on our profiles is the only place I know where you can view your clubs on the same page and in alphabetical order without having to first sort it out, so it's very convenient. I hope it's at least placed above Reviews and Recs; you check back on clubs but not really on reviews and recs.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Oct 16, 2015 11:46 PM

Jan 2013
ex_necross said:
Anticlimatic said:

The compatibility thing was complete nonsense. I had a very high compatibility rating with several people who I was basically the complete opposite of. They didn't like any of the shit I like, and all of their high rated anime were stuff I hated.

Then I'll come across people who I strongly agree with, they like all the stuff I like, the same genres, or similar, lots of anime in common, etc, and I'll have a low 60% with them.

Whatever formula they use is wrong. It doesn't make any logical sense.
I think they compare scores of anime of the same type of genre or just similar in general, at least from my experience...but ofc it won't be too accurate since genre alone doesn't dictate anime at all
Oct 16, 2015 11:47 PM

Jun 2013
Swiggy said:
@Gender: Love you too, MAL! <33

I understand the reason why the 'About Me' section was placed on top, but I feel it's there at the sacrifice of something the MAL community valued more.;; We've lost the ability to see our stats without having to scroll or click.

This only goes for narcissists with obnoxiously long About Me sections, or people who post huge images. For the majority of users it's a non-issue.

That being said, personal stuff should definitely be put somewhere on the side. The focus should be anime lists, not facebook.
ex_necrossOct 16, 2015 11:51 PM
Pages (50) « First ... « 30 31 [32] 33 34 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

235 by StudioVision01 »»
9 hours ago

» List Title Toggle: Main Title, English, and more ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Nov 10, 2021

108 by S_h_a_r_k_93 »»
May 15, 7:13 AM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by nothing_ness »»
May 5, 8:51 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.