3It was OK
6.5%
2Disliked it
0.7%
1Hated it
3.1%
Average 4.6
293 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 14, 2015 4:08 AM

Dec 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Didn't expect this to be such an amazing episode. Somehow came out of this with an even greater level of respect for Kondo. So many feels!

Hijikata's rage face was priceless!

Next episode about afros? Can't wait lol
Oct 14, 2015 4:10 AM

Jul 2014
Yep, definitely not digging this opening. Oh well, it's pretty different from the previous ones.

I love how Gin-chan made a completely random 10 second appearance that had nothing to do with anything but was still hilarious x3

The first half was amazing comedy as usual. TOSHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second half was feels backstory. I think this is the first time we've seen Kondo's childhood in the anime. The one thing that I don't like about the backstories/childhoods of Gintama characters is that most of them just have their little arc/episode and are never mentioned or relevant again, like Hijikata's brother.

Shinsengumi episodes are always amazing. But Sougo.......

OH AND THE ED. I COULD WATCH THIS ON REPEAT ALL DAY.

Next week is the Afro arc, they're doing it this early huh... and Zura returns from standby.

and I didn't make the discussion this week. cri
Oct 14, 2015 4:12 AM

Feb 2012
It is what it is with Kondo, he was never a bich ass.

Next time Afro arc, Saitou Shimaru vs Katsura.
Oct 14, 2015 4:45 AM
Dec 2014
Thought this was a fantastic episode. The first part was hilarious, especially when Hijikata threw the grenade at himself aha. The second part was handled even better and i absolutely loved when Kondo went bad ass. His close up crying face though....:(
The ending was cool because i didn't think they would incorporate scenes like in bigger arcs.

I'll address something that was bothering people last episode. The animation definitely improved this week, especially in scenes that required lots of movement. Characters were on model way more and there were some really great shots (e.g. close up of Kondo about to charge at the criminals and when the Shinsengumi ambushed Kondo
Oct 14, 2015 5:00 AM

Feb 2008
TOSHI!

Another excellent episode, a fine equilibrium of comedy and drama.
Oct 14, 2015 5:24 AM

Oct 2014
That's why Kondo is one of the most epic guys in Gintama! Freaking loved this episode.

Omg we get to see afros next episode yesh
why
Oct 14, 2015 5:41 AM

Aug 2010
Stellar mix of comedy and emotions as usually expected from GOATama.

All the "TOSHI!!" at the start was hilarious XD and Hijikata actually realizing it's Kondo. Lol'd at how he was making sure Kondo was just acting undercover LMAO Based faces as usual

Nice to see some serious Kondo stuff. It's really cool to see every now and then.

And Dat "These sure are some warm cuffs" death scene was so sad ;_;

Afro arc nxt and more Zura :D Still really hoping they'll go back to the other skipped arcs >~<
Oct 14, 2015 7:08 AM
Dec 2013
What a heartwarming and touching episode. Next week, it's the Afro Arc! I'm surprised that this character intro arc will be animated this early...

NANDESUKA KORE?
Oct 14, 2015 7:22 AM

Mar 2014
1) Goddamn, when the garage door blew open and Kondo appeared, with Toshi's speech in the background, I got mad goosebumps. So much more respect for Kondo after this episode. Thank you Based Sorachi.

2) The way they handled the ED was spectacular! I absolutely loved how the beginning was played with Toshi looking out to the sky.

3) Has that afro guy actually been mentioned before? Could someone please tell me when these happened?
Oct 14, 2015 7:58 AM

Jul 2014
I don't know what I am suppose to feel, happy or sad. I can't help but feel excited hat the Afro Arc is getting adapted but deep down I’m honestly disappointed with the anime staff who decides what to animate. I was fine with them skipping around the manga order but this is too much. They skipped the Madao chapter right before the Afro arc that is essential in setting up the Afro arc. The Shinsengumi did not deserve this, especially after this episode about Kondo and his epicness.

Spoilers on ahead explaining what they Madao's chapter is so freaking important. But I guess it wasn't that important so I guess they could have skipped it? Idk.

Oct 14, 2015 7:59 AM
Jun 2015
Yooooo, them Kondo feels! T^T I love that man.
Oct 14, 2015 8:31 AM

Nov 2013
Not the best Gintama episode, but still worth it. Next week is about Zura in Shinsengumi? Sounds interesting
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 14, 2015 9:00 AM

Jan 2014
totoroll said:
I don't know what I am suppose to feel, happy or sad. I can't help but feel excited hat the Afro Arc is getting adapted but deep down I’m honestly disappointed with the anime staff who decides what to animate. I was fine with them skipping around the manga order but this is too much. They skipped the Madao chapter right before the Afro arc that is essential in setting up the Afro arc. The Shinsengumi did not deserve this, especially after this episode about Kondo and his epicness.

I know, right? I'm very worried about that ending theme now. The way they are skipping stuff is making me believe that they really intend to animate what happens after chap. 502 very soon. I hope I'm wrong.

-----------Edit---------------
And I was right. They'll start animating it on December.
SafeandSoundNov 10, 2015 2:44 PM
Oct 14, 2015 9:21 AM

May 2014
Eh, decent episode overall.

Still, really happy for the Afro arc.

But, honestly, I really need the
chapters. Those chapters were so goddamn hilarious.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Oct 14, 2015 9:27 AM

Nov 2011
Better than expected. Base Gintama.

Oct 14, 2015 11:49 AM

Dec 2014
totoroll said:

Spoilers on ahead explaining what they Madao's chapter is so freaking important. But I guess it wasn't that important so I guess they could have skipped it? Idk.

zura ja nai, katsura da.

:O, thats interesting... I mean they can still animate that chapter but its probably going to be flash backy. Like, Zura could say "remember that time I infiltrated the shinsengumi" or something. Or we fans could just piece it together ourselves. They can just openly admit "oops, please consider that this episode was meant to go before 294, we're sorry" and everyone would be cool with it lol.

And I don't think they're going to skip all the way to the Assassination arc. The opening seems too happy like showcasing all the characters. Usually on most serious tones, the opening is supposed to display a more rock like tone.
Its not like Sunrise Bandai Namco Pictures to do this because:

All I can say is that, if this is an error, they can't stop it or else they'll have to delay 1 weeks episode, since production already began on the afro samurai chapter.
All in all, I think the director missed it....
peanutbuttersOct 14, 2015 12:09 PM
Is this where you live?

Oct 14, 2015 12:05 PM
Jul 2013
Classic comedy to feels Gintama. Afro arc next week? WOOT.
Oct 14, 2015 12:19 PM

Aug 2015
I was super excited when I saw Saito in the preview, but now I remembered they haven't animated the ID chapter yet, hmmm... I hope they'll fix that somehow and animate it later on or something, the ID story is really hilarious :'S

This week's episode was fun though, I'd been waiting for this arc! "TOSHIIII!!" is truly one of my favourite Gintama One-liners xD
"No need for love! Just give me sugar!!" - a lazy ossan

+ 4 more~!
Oct 14, 2015 1:07 PM

Mar 2013
Gintama's been getting really boring this season but this was the best episode in forever. Probably because not only was it about the best character but it also didn't ruin itself with lame out of place toilet humour at the last second like this show usually does.
Oct 14, 2015 1:21 PM

Jun 2013
damn that old lady voice is annoying as hell
Oct 14, 2015 1:25 PM

Dec 2014
TOSHI!
Oct 14, 2015 1:49 PM

Feb 2013
Lol Gintoki shows up for like five seconds to be called out on his poverty

That Kondo smile at the end though...
That was so nice.
Oct 14, 2015 3:43 PM

Apr 2015
"You've grown into a fine
man", HA! Kondo is?

Oh Hijikata

Handy Dandy Notebook

Oct 14, 2015 3:53 PM

Jul 2014
SafeandSound said:
I know, right? I'm very worried about that ending theme now. The way they are skipping stuff is making me believe that they really intend to animate what happens after chap. 502 very soon. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't feel like they are going to animate the Shogun arc this season, the ending feels like it is setting up for the arc later on. I may sound really mad at the anime staff but I still have trust in them to animate it later after all the comedy.

jambutters said:

:O, thats interesting... I mean they can still animate that chapter but its probably going to be flash backy. Like, Zura could say "remember that time I infiltrated the shinsengumi" or something. Or we fans could just piece it together ourselves. They can just openly admit "oops, please consider that this episode was meant to go before 294, we're sorry" and everyone would be cool with it lol.

And I don't think they're going to skip all the way to the Assassination arc. The opening seems too happy like showcasing all the characters. Usually on most serious tones, the opening is supposed to display a more rock like tone.

All I can say is that, if this is an error, they can't stop it or else they'll have to delay 1 weeks episode, since production already began on the afro samurai chapter.

I also think something like that would happen about the Madao chapter but I still wished they animated it first.

I never said that I believed the Shogun arc would be animated this season. I am just sad that they are skipping back and forth in chapters, ruining the manga order. The Afro Arc was way later in the story. There are still other arcs that were before it that still need to be adapted like the Kagura and Excalibur Arc. I really want to see them animated.
Oct 14, 2015 4:26 PM

Jan 2015
What an episode! It was hilarious and serious, and who would've thought that the serious episode is about Kondo of all people! The first and most likely the last serious episode we'll ever get about that stalker gorilla xD
Monkey God Kondo is amazing, much more respect for this character now!
Katsura and a new character in the next episode! Yes!
WizilizOct 16, 2015 11:48 PM
Oct 14, 2015 7:03 PM
May 2015
Great ep, the transition into and out of the ending was beautiful.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2015 7:09 PM

Dec 2014
totoroll said:
SafeandSound said:

I don't feel like they are going to animate the Shogun arc this season, the ending feels like it is setting up for the arc later on. I may sound really mad at the anime staff but I still have trust in them to animate it later after all the comedy.

jambutters said:

I also think something like that would happen about the Madao chapter but I still wished they animated it first.

I never said that I believed the Shogun arc would be animated this season. I am just sad that they are skipping back and forth in chapters, ruining the manga order. The Afro Arc was way later in the story. There are still other arcs that were before it that still need to be adapted like the Kagura and Excalibur Arc. I really want to see them animated.

Oopsies. I missread what you said. Yeah but can't Kaguras sickness & boyfriend arc & Excalibur be animated after the afro arc?
Is this where you live?

Oct 14, 2015 7:52 PM
Dec 2014
jambutters said:
totoroll said:

Oopsies. I missread what you said. Yeah but can't Kaguras sickness & boyfriend arc & Excalibur be animated after the afro arc?

No, please no. I really don't want the Excalibur arc animated. Probably one of the worst arcs in the entire Gintama series. It didn't know what it was aiming to be, comedic or serious. There were so many unfunny jokes as well. Just leave that out and give us the Kagura arc and the Love Potion arc.
Oct 14, 2015 11:02 PM

Apr 2012
Nice Episode about Kondo, she become very cool. :D

and dat Daikon xD

Oct 14, 2015 11:30 PM
Sep 2012
I read the manga but its been awhile, is the old man still alive?
Oct 14, 2015 11:31 PM

Apr 2015
The first scene was funny poor Toshi xD
... Kondo grown? xD He stalks a girl, naked sometimes... and ... anyways amazing episode!
Oct 15, 2015 2:21 AM

Apr 2014
That was bad. I'll prefer it if they just stick to comedy. Also, don't like the OP.
Oct 15, 2015 3:42 AM

Oct 2012
Awwww T_T

Saito Shimaru!!
"Signature removed"
Oct 15, 2015 6:01 AM
Mar 2015
sadpwner said:
That was bad. I'll prefer it if they just stick to comedy. Also, don't like the OP.
. wtf it has comedy. you have bad taste man
Oct 15, 2015 6:49 AM

Sep 2014
Good stuff. Finally we get to see the Afro Samurai. <3
Oct 15, 2015 6:50 AM

Aug 2014
LOOOOOOL all of those scenes in the zoo! TOSHIIII!!!
Oct 15, 2015 9:59 AM

Feb 2011
I wonder how strong Kondo is? he got so much respect from Hijikata and Sougo...
Oct 15, 2015 2:01 PM

Mar 2015
Typical Gintama episode, with Toshi actually realising it's Kondo and that 5 second glimpse of Gintoki. 5/5

Next week, Zura finally returns!
Oct 15, 2015 6:34 PM

Aug 2013
was it ever shown why the whole Shinsengumi respects Kondou so much? I cant recall

and we still dunno how strong he is too
Oct 15, 2015 7:18 PM

Oct 2011
</3 T____________________t

When he wrapped his hands on sensei. The tears could not stop flowing
Oct 15, 2015 8:07 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Cute and cheesy backstory. xD

Funniest part was when Hijikata was trying to apprehend Kondo.
Oct 16, 2015 2:04 AM

Apr 2014
Emirius said:
sadpwner said:

I know it had comedy but I would rather most of the episode be focused on comedy. The gintama plots are generally pretty bad since they have no actual character development. They fit stories that could be an entire anime into a few episodes so plot is generally rushed as well. Anyway, no for plot, yes for comedy.

Btw, at what time did gintoki appear?
Oct 16, 2015 4:50 PM

Aug 2013
Came for the laugh...
Left with bananas the feels... :(

It did felt to me that this episode was a bit rushed. I don't know, I felt like the story was interesting and engaging enough to be a two episode arc. But oh well, it was great nonetheless. And who never wanted to throw rocks at Hijitaka face? Man, it must be fun :D
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Oct 17, 2015 4:24 AM

Jun 2013
Kondo Isao is, without a doubt, one of my favorite characters in Gintama. I know that Tae-chan always beats him up and all but I honestly love that guy. He's an awesome bro and the Shinsengumi really look up to him. I hope Sorachi-sensei will give him a good ending when the manga ends.

Afro Arc is coming in but like others said, they skipped a lot of arcs :( Oh well, enter, Saitou Shimaru.
臭い-
Oct 17, 2015 5:44 AM

Jul 2011
This is going to become one of my favourite episodes of the season. It's just really well done on everyone's part.

Firstly, I love Toshi - not necessarily the crazy stalker side, but this leadership side of him. This aspect of him that inspires Hijikata to say "Policeman or a thief's disciple, feel free to pick whichever you want. Wherever you go, we're ready to follow in your footsteps" I think it's great that we get to see more of this stronger, cooler side of him.

However, I think the best part is that he never sheds his gorilla side. Unlike most comedic show where centering an arc on a comedic character would have him shed his idiotic skin and do something completely out-of-accurate, Kondo is still an ape, and we never forget that the clumsy gorilla side of him is still entrenched within him. This is characterization at it's best, where we see depths to a character without it contradicting already established personality.

Secondly, I love the balance of comedy and drama. The scene at the zoo had me laughing harder than even usual gintama episodes, as well as Kondo's backstory with the radishes. Yet by the end, I was pretty much moved to tears by the drama aspects as well.

Also, I bet Gintoki's probably complaining offscreen about how he only gets one small cameo-worth of screentime in the first episode of the new cour. And the best part is he doesn't even get the spotlight back next episode.

On that note, I'm having so much mixed feelings about Saito's hair. On one hand, i t's great that I definitely won't spend half the arc wondering if he's actually Gintoki in disguise, but on the other hand, I feel like orange looks so bizarre on him. Perhaps only Yatos can pull this colour off, I don't know.

Anyhow, a very satisfying episode, I loved it. 5/5
Tumblr: Gigglepud
My one rec for anyone who likes good storytelling: Play Zero Escape/Ai the Somnium Files
Oct 17, 2015 9:26 AM
Aug 2015
at the end of the ep. i cried T-T !!
Oct 17, 2015 11:50 AM

Aug 2014
Dat ending had me in tears ;_;
Oct 18, 2015 4:00 AM
Dec 2014
sadpwner said:
Emirius said:

I know it had comedy but I would rather most of the episode be focused on comedy. The gintama plots are generally pretty bad since they have no actual character development. They fit stories that could be an entire anime into a few episodes so plot is generally rushed as well. Anyway, no for plot, yes for comedy.

Btw, at what time did gintoki appear?

You don't have a clue what you're talking about...
Oct 19, 2015 12:20 AM

Mar 2012
Dem unexpected feels ;_; Nice little piece of backstory on Kondo. Seems like he's always been a perv xD
Oct 19, 2015 1:03 AM
Nov 2014
Ah crap- I've actually caught up to the franchise's most recent episode. Wasn't that bad an episode either, it was certainly refreshing to see Gori- Kondo in a more serious kind of light.
All you seasoned manga-readers are giving me a huge sense of foreboding and fear and worry :^D your posts scare me.
Good at offending and bad at letting things slide.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

251 by ThalosShrine »»
Apr 15, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 42 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tyrel - Jan 27, 2016

241 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 18, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Jan 13, 2016

251 by Nymbris »»
Mar 10, 6:09 AM

» Thoughts on this season (Spoilers)

RahulSenpai - Mar 8

13 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Mar 10, 4:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.