Forum Settings
Forums

The New Anime Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 19, 2015 10:58 AM

Oct 2012
Huh. It just dawned on me that Fuujin Monogatari is now gone. Welp. Not gonna try to get it back up. I'll just get random people to watch it instead. New life goals. Hehehe. >:D
Sep 19, 2015 11:59 AM

Jan 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
Huh. It just dawned on me that Fuujin Monogatari is now gone. Welp. Not gonna try to get it back up. I'll just get random people to watch it instead. New life goals. Hehehe. >:D

Good point. It only needed one more vote, and I actually got the set a while ago but had been holding it off (not out of spite, just not in the mood lol). You could always give it another shot later down the line perhaps.
Sep 27, 2015 7:36 AM

Dec 2014
Seems like my taste is good I have watch a lot from the list before I even known it exist.
Sep 30, 2015 12:52 PM

Jun 2015
I approve the majority of that list as well. Too bad I didn't find anything new to my P2W at first sight.
Oct 2, 2015 4:11 AM

Oct 2011
Just a quick notice that we have removed Mysterious Cities of Gold from the e-list as it was one of the initial titles we added to the list when the club was first founded. It was never polled, doesn't have subs and the only way to watch it is via some horrible Canadian dub. I'm sure nobody will miss it. RIP.
Oct 2, 2015 5:57 AM

Sep 2010
lordzeru said:
Just a quick notice that we have removed Mysterious Cities of Gold from the e-list as it was one of the initial titles we added to the list when the club was first founded. It was never polled, doesn't have subs and the only way to watch it is via some horrible Canadian dub. I'm sure nobody will miss it. RIP.

i believe that in a year those subs and bd of the cities of gold will be out

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Oct 2, 2015 11:29 AM

Jan 2013
Mysterious Cities of Gold seems to be a classic I hear about every now and then and has high ratings on ANN I know at least, but I don't actually know many people who've seen it. Seems Jody has at least.
Oct 3, 2015 1:17 PM

Feb 2008
It's not bad from the 1/3rd I've seen without subs, but yeah, the key word is "no subs". If it ever gets subbed, it still has a chance to make it back if it's that good.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 3, 2015 1:42 PM

Jan 2015
I would like to nominate Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
http://myanimelist.net/anime/13203/Lupin_the_Third:_Mine_Fujiko_to_Iu_Onna

It is quite different from other titles in the Lupin series, that's why I think it needs to be listed separately. The art style is really unique, the soundtrack is good and it has a gritty noir tone that stands out.
Oct 3, 2015 3:01 PM

Sep 2014
+1 Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna

I have seen both the original Lupin series and this one. This last entry is pretty much everything you would expect from an "enlightning" anime. It is visually outstanding due to the awesome art that Mrs. Miyamoto uses in her works, and the vivid animation. The soundtrack is amazing too. It has an extravagant vut very well executed story that combines action, sex, mystery, and great theme. And above all, the series manages to flesh out its characters really well.

Overall, a great series due to it's audiovisual quality, great story and cast of characters.
Oct 4, 2015 7:00 AM

Oct 2010
-1 Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna

It's quite good, but I'd say not enlightenment-worthy. Various times through the series I had the feeling that it was way too full of itself, it even crossed the line between artsy and pretentious at some points; namely the opening, which is something that claims lack of sincerity and pretension from every angle. It is certainly good, it certainly develops concepts well (not THAT well, due to its erratic episodic structure), however it tries to build a facade to appear more sophisticated than it actually is and it doesn't work as well for me.
Oct 4, 2015 2:42 PM

Sep 2010
i got a question is the enlightment list reserved to japanese animation only, or korean animation can also make the cut?

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Oct 4, 2015 8:16 PM

Apr 2012
@Xykko

Ah, a question directed at Ducat, our resident expert in Korean Animation.

Seriously though, we're limiting our e-list nominations to only shows that can be found on MAL. If it's not here then more likely than not we're not going to accept the nomination or any votes that follow. If you can find it then go ahead.
Oct 5, 2015 7:58 AM

May 2013
The only Korean masterpiece deserving a spot on the list is clearly Super Express Mazinger 7.

Oct 5, 2015 8:49 AM

Sep 2010
Ok then i'd like to nominate Oseam
It's an heartbreaking story of 2 brothers that are abandonend by their mother due to financial reasons. Gil son, the younger brother takes care of her older sister, because she's blind, and he gets in trouble often protecting her sister from bullying. After being on the road alone they are taken in by a buddhist monk that cares of them, in exchange of helping around the temple. due to his kind and naive nature he can "communicate" with the nature, making him question about life. (i know it sounds pretetious but it's preety good) and sorry for the english since i'm not native speaker

Oct 5, 2015 9:02 AM

Sep 2014
Xykko said:
Ok then i'd like to nominate Oseam
It's an heartbreaking story of 2 brothers that are abandonend by their mother due to financial reasons. Gil son, the younger brother takes care of her older sister, because she's blind, and he gets in trouble often protecting her sister from bullying. After being on the road alone they are taken in by a buddhist monk that cares of them, in exchange of helping around the temple. due to his kind and naive nature he can "communicate" with the nature, making him question about life. (i know it sounds pretetious but it's preety good) and sorry for the english since i'm not native speaker

Rather than explaining the premise you should give reasons of why it should be included.

Does it have artistic design and/or high production values?
Is the soundtrack godly?
Is the story intriguing, with a great ending or perfectly executed?
Does it develop well it's themes?
Does it have great well developed characters?

Something along those lines. It doesn't have to be erfect, just good enough to be included
Oct 5, 2015 6:19 PM

Sep 2010
thx for enlighten me @guywholikesanime
the story is very well executed showing the struggles of two orphans dealing with poverty, discrimination and disability (in this case the older sister blindness), while they search for a place they can call home. the soundtrack is very soothing, mixing the sounds of nature with piano/organ and brass instruments in the background that blend very well within the different scenes. it manages to deliver what they are trying to find, find a home and be a "happy" (can't say too much without spoiling it) giving a hotaru no haka sort of feeling. the art is weird imo, since i'm not used to korean art style but the scenery is very well drawn and detailed. was my explanation good?

Oct 12, 2015 5:05 PM
Jan 2013
Remove Madoka for the relations list.

You can't @sspull more than SAO and get away with it.

Oct 12, 2015 5:19 PM

Sep 2012
Oct 13, 2015 12:52 AM
Jan 2013
Popka said:
No.

So Elite.

Yeah man have the power to alter reality,and resurrect, and ask me to care for these girls,who spend more time beating around the Bush.

Oct 13, 2015 9:21 AM

Apr 2013
genesic123 said:

genesic123 said:
Popka said:
No.

So Elite.

Yeah man have the power to alter reality,and resurrect, and ask me to care for these girls,who spend more time beating around the Bush.

How about you read the rules of the thread and stop making yourself look like an obnoxious moron. It's honestly not that hard to do. Here I'll give you a manual:

1. Go to the first page of the thread.
2. Look at the very first post.
3. Read the very first post.
4. Read it again to make sure that you didn't miss any important information and make sure you assimilate the basic principles of discussion in the thread.
5. Then repost your request to remove Madoka from the enlightenment list.
6. Then it will be up to the democratically central decision of all those in the club through discussion to see if it will be left on the enlightenment list or taken off of the enlightenment list and on to the relations list.

Can you do all that? Or am I overestimating you?

Or...

are you so insecure about your opinions that you don't want to write a paragraph or two to articulate an opinion?
Oct 13, 2015 9:55 PM

Feb 2014
I'd like to nominate Romeo on Aoi Sora. I'm quite surprised it isn't on the list.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2559/Romeo_no_Aoi_Sora
Being part of the World Masterpiece Theater, the production quality is high. Being one of the last title before they stopped making them (and resumed doing so in 2007... if I'm not wrong), it truly stands out. The art style is simple, but the animation makes up for it. As most WMT titles have, it has aged beautifully. But what is best about it is the characters. While it's something WMT does well in most of their titles, the development is exceptionally remarkable.

It made me cry lots, too. And I never cry.

I'm pretty new to the group, so I hope I'm doing this right!
Oct 13, 2015 10:09 PM
Jan 2013
Jodyqt said:
genesic123 said:

genesic123 said:

So Elite.

How about you read the rules of the thread and stop making yourself look like an obnoxious moron. It's honestly not that hard to do. Here I'll give you a manual:

4. Read it again to make sure that you didn't miss any important information and make sure you assimilate the basic principles of discussion in the thread.
6. Then it will be up to the democratically central decision of all those in the club through discussion to see if it will be left on the enlightenment list or taken off of the enlightenment list and on to the relations list.

Or...

are you so insecure about your opinions that you don't want to write a paragraph or two to articulate an opinion?

I have a review.

And I summed up what was bad about Madoka here.

I hope you elites quit whining about bad anime when Madoka is there.

Have your moronic victory that you clearly want so much.

Oct 13, 2015 11:02 PM

Feb 2014
genesic123 said:
Jodyqt said:

Or...

I have a review.

If I may. This group isn't much about "whining"-- it's supposed to be ironically making fun of "elitists" while separating the weak from the chaff. If you read the group rules you would see that what you're doing is in the wrong, would you not? It's not exactly necessary to agree with the list (I think Madoka is overrated but an enjoyable show nonetheless). There's a rule outlining that being so rude isn't allowed:

6. Regarding the club description: Make sure you really understand what this club is about. Protip: The fine print matters. If you don’t agree with the club’s take on anime/manga, leave. [...]
7. Don't flame, bait or do both just because you feel like it, want to profile yourself, "want to see our reactions" and other redundant reasons.

I hope you have a nice day, genesic123.
sessyoinOct 13, 2015 11:09 PM
Oct 13, 2015 11:23 PM

Oct 2011
genesic123 said:
I have a review.

Hey, never seen you around here. Welcome to the club. I feel you won't be here long, but enjoy your short stay.

Against my usual policy I went and read your 'review' of Madoka and couldn't help but think perhaps you watched Madoka while taking benzos because there is no way you were fully awake to have missed such massive amounts of detail that you 'whined' about in your attempt at a review. I'm not a fan of Madoka by any means but your complete lack of understanding what occurred in that series is quite astonishing. If you're trying to have a serious discussion about Madoka, I really recommend you try posting in our random topics thread and actually try to have a conversation instead of referring to your review and stop flooding my e-list thread with your attempts at baiting. Or, if you do still want to refer to your review we have a thread that I think your review would fit perfectly into.
Oct 14, 2015 7:01 AM

Sep 2014
lordzeru said:
Or, if you do still want to refer to your review we have a thread that I think your review would fit perfectly into.

guywholikesanimeOct 14, 2015 10:44 AM
Oct 14, 2015 10:52 AM

Oct 2012
Alright. I think we've made our points. Let's try to minimize the clutter now. Genesic, if you plan on replying to any or all of the people here, please do so in the random topic thread. Thank you.
Oct 27, 2015 4:08 AM

Jul 2014
Couple in the new mentions there I thought I'd pick on to help get this thread more active:

-1 Maria the Virgin Witch

I liked a lot of this show. Historical accuracy in the setting and weaponry, for one. It's paced relatively well and each episode added enough the world and the story that left me wanting more. But the ecchi feels tacked on and redundant in the long run. While Maria's virginity is of course the ultimate driving force behind many actions taken throughout the story, I don't think it justifies a lot of the ecchi elements of the show. Granted, I'm not a fan of the genre at all so take that with a grain of salt. Ezekiel is an annoying git.

-1 So Ra No Wo To

No thanks. The world it takes place in is awesome, but none of the characters left an impact on me. The show itself feels pretty aimless and the ending seems to sneak up on you out of nowhere after a rather dull and tedious first half. I wanted to know more context for the war and why the world was in the state it currently found itself in. Sure it's only a slice of life in many regards - so that context is not as important for others - but with the nature of the ending it left little impact on me because I didn't have a full picture of what was getting resolved.
Oct 28, 2015 9:16 AM

Mar 2009
Mr. or Ms. 123,

Ducat told you where to carry on your conversation. I deleted that one, and I'll be deleting any further posts on that discussion. Also, saying things like "Or can't you handle the truth?" regarding your own personal opinion is not something we are really into around here...

---
Back on topic. I am going to have to give a -1 to Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna. It's not even the best Lupin series. Although the art and animation are very stylish, the characterizations of some of the characters feel unfaithful, and the story really starts to fall apart near the end. Despite showing intriguing character origin stories, the series is incapable of being consistent. Also, Fujiko's character is very disappointing. One might imagine that she would become more than just a sex object in her own series—get a little bit of agency and grow as a character—but she unfortunately is worse in some cases. She doesn't feel like a strong woman who uses sex as she sees fit. She's a character who is taken advantage of and forced into some gross situations by the lusty cast. The whole cult kind of thing really takes it down a few pegs, too. Let's not.
AlabastreAizoOct 28, 2015 9:24 AM
Oct 28, 2015 12:03 PM

Oct 2010
Tozzy said:
-1 So Ra No Wo To

No thanks. The world it takes place in is awesome, but none of the characters left an impact on me. The show itself feels pretty aimless and the ending seems to sneak up on you out of nowhere after a rather dull and tedious first half. I wanted to know more context for the war and why the world was in the state it currently found itself in. Sure it's only a slice of life in many regards - so that context is not as important for others - but with the nature of the ending it left little impact on me because I didn't have a full picture of what was getting resolved.

I think that the show had a clear aim in mind, it's just that this aim implied some sort of inconclusive slice-of-life scenario because it talked about daily life under the fear of war and destruction. I didn't buy the final arc at first because it seemed to me like it forced a conclusion. In the end I found it convincing and well-rounded but my first reaction was kind of negative, to me Sora no Woto worked precisely because the context of war was never explicit, it was more of a vague menace, something that would eventually destroy everything. It was that constant uncertainty what built most of the atmosphere of this show to me, and what tied the erratic mood and structure of the series.

Funnily enough I guess, I had the contrary problem to yours. I ended up feeling that we got too much information on the course of the war, as a concrete fact, and that to a point compromised the atmosphere of the series. Rather than answering questions, I would have liked the show to keep hinting at concepts. But well, as said I got hooked by the execution of that last arc so to me it wasn't such a big deal.
jal90Oct 28, 2015 12:10 PM
Oct 28, 2015 8:04 PM

Sep 2010
you guys having trouble finding oseam?

Nov 8, 2015 10:51 PM
Jun 2012
I give a vote for Space brothers, thats probably one anime you can give to anyone when starting out.
Nov 8, 2015 10:54 PM

Oct 2012
super88 said:
I give a vote for Space brothers, thats probably one anime you can give to anyone when starting out.

It's already on the list.
Oct 23, 2016 8:45 AM

Apr 2012
I nominate Cross Game.

Adachi Mitsuru's phenomenal story-telling skills can't be emphasized enough; the man has an exceptional talent at making his stories very, very human and this is reflected in all his characters. They all behave like actual people would, development is slow, subtle, consistent and natural, and above all, the romance is heartwarming and enjoyable to watch. Many people would argue that the themes of loss, coming of age and childhood friendship being tied to the romance in the show have also been done in Touch; however, while Cross Game handles the character drama better in my eyes, Touch handles its games better. The sports element is hardly even present for most of the show, and the show succeeds where most sports anime fail; making us care about the people playing the sports rather than watching it just for the sports.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Oct 28, 2016 4:12 AM

Jun 2013
I would also give a +1 to cross game, as a lover of sports anime I at first surprised by what I saw (or I should say what I didn't see), however it was definitely an anime I thoroughly enjoyed with its character development and overarching plot. I would say more but @sushiisawesome's description says it all

Also it had some great pacing, in a time where anime fightd for times slots its understandable that the majority of anime nowadays is 12eps long, hell you're lucky if it last 24 and even then you can have pacing issues. Cross Game has a really good amount of episodes to really solidify characters and motives. (there's nothing better than an anime with good pacing)
Memento Mori.
Mar 23, 2017 7:36 PM

Jun 2012
Yo. Oniisama e should be up there.
"I'm gonna make you bleed like me!"
Characterization Society
Discord
Apr 9, 2017 5:57 PM
Sep 2015
+1 Kaguya-hime no Monogatari

I do not know if this movie has ever been brought up before, but I wanted to take a moment to nominate Kaguya-hime no monogatari (The Tale of the Princess Kaguya). I believe this film does multiple things that mean it should get into the list. First of all it is the story of one of Japan's oldest stories of all time. Second, it was a passion project for the director, Isao Takahata, since he wanted to create a movie that told this story for years. Third, there is the unique art style this movie uses, especially for Ghibli. The art style's likeness to old Japanese art really fits the tale it is telling. I also believe that the respect shown to the original story in this adaptation makes it even more respectable as a work of art. The amount of time, care, and love put in, I believe, really shows as you watch the film. The way it handles its themes of childhood, adolescence, and death with such respect, especially when meant to be for children is also commendable.

I hope I did this right and that people will agree with my choice. :)
May 3, 2017 10:37 AM

Aug 2016
SAO or GTFO mates. Every Uber-Elitist knows it's pure perfection.

Also on a serious note, +1 Kaguya-hime no Monogatari
It's good.
Let's all have fun and play together.
Dec 20, 2017 6:12 AM

Jun 2014
I would like to nominate Houseki no Kuni from this season, definitely looking like one the best for this year along with Made in Abyss in my opinion.

I think this one is the compelling argument to use to anyone that writes anime off simply by knowing it's CGI. The art is amazing, the main character is quite funny, silly at times even, but in a good way. It has a very interesting setting and the story so far (11 ep) seems to be shaping up nicely.

My favorite for this year.
Mar 20, 2020 8:01 PM

May 2010
Really like what's going on with this list...So many good anime on here and some I have yet to watch. Can't wait to give them a try if they're on the same level as some of these kickass anime >w>

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.