Forum Settings
Forums

Do you prefer anime that are visually stunning or tells a great story ?

New
Aug 3, 2015 2:14 PM

Oct 2014
i can appreciate anime that looks really good, handrawn etc but a good story will always keep me hooked
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 3, 2015 2:14 PM

Mar 2015
Visuals mean nothing to me.
Aug 3, 2015 2:15 PM

Jan 2014
Why not both?
Aug 3, 2015 2:16 PM

Aug 2010
Neither. Best experience/enjoyment.
Story if I really had to pick.
ok000Aug 3, 2015 2:46 PM
Aug 3, 2015 2:17 PM

Mar 2014
Angel Beats! had beautiful visuals

Does that mean Angel Beats! is a good anime?

No
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 3, 2015 2:20 PM

Mar 2014
Beautiful visuals will never save an anime with a mediocre story.
So I prefer a great story.
Aug 3, 2015 2:21 PM

Mar 2015
GLASSLIP
GLASSLIP
GLASSLIP
GLASSLIP
KumaAug 3, 2015 2:32 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Oct 2014
iNoto-san said:
Why not both?
In a perfect world we would always get both. But I also want to see what others would prefer if they had to choise
Jul 2015
Aug 3, 2015 2:24 PM

Feb 2013
visually stunning tits
Aug 3, 2015 2:25 PM

Apr 2014
Visuals are definitely a big factor in my decision of watching the show or not, a good story isn't bad either though.
Aug 3, 2015 2:25 PM

Jun 2015
Comic_Sans said:

No

Angel Beats wasn't that bad, though.

OT: Visuals don't mean much unless they help to visualize the story in a way, like using symbolism and imagery. So story gets my vote.
AltoRoarkAug 3, 2015 2:29 PM
Aug 3, 2015 2:29 PM

Jan 2015
Visuals can aid the way the story is presented. That's about it.

So I prefer an anime which has a solid plot.

Aug 3, 2015 2:30 PM

Oct 2014
I will fall on the side that says that a "good" story is not necessary to make good anime, and as a visual medium, I'd prioritize having good visuals over the story.

DGrimreaperD said:
Visuals mean nothing to me.
I never buy this argument. If visuals don't mean anything, then in my mind there's almost no reason to watch anime.
Aug 3, 2015 2:31 PM

Aug 2014
Story>visuals
Aug 3, 2015 2:34 PM

Jan 2014
mochabearbruh said:
iNoto-san said:
Why not both?
In a perfect world we would always get both. But I also want to see what others would prefer if they had to choise

Well if i had to choose, i would go with the story. Sorry but the story is more important than visuals. Just think about it for a second. You get this godly visuals (for example Fate stay night UBW by ufotable) but you get a shit story. It's going to suck because the plot suck and the character suck so what's the point of watching an anime like that?

Anime with great story would give you great characters, great plot,etc.

Take a look at higurashi. Many people don't like the visuals but the anime has a gooddam story.
Aug 3, 2015 2:37 PM

Oct 2014
Lancehot said:
ykmZp5cgbkU
Eh. I think what Lucas says sounds nice, but it's really only relevant because we are so caught up in the idea of a story or characters being the crux of a work. I imagine for many stories, visuals should be a means to an end, but we've seen a number of works that exist purely for the sake of achieving some sort of visual end, which I think is important in its own way.
Aug 3, 2015 2:39 PM

Oct 2014
iNoto-san said:
mochabearbruh said:

Well if i had to choose, i would go with the story. Sorry but the story is more important than visuals. Just think about it for a second. You get this godly visuals (for example Fate stay night UBW by ufotable) but you get a shit story. It's going to suck because the plot suck and the character suck so what's the point of watching an anime like that?

Take a look at higurashi. Many people don't like the visuals but the anime has a gooddam story.
I agree with you.

Some people as the guy a few posts above sees anime as a visual medium so the visuals should be the most important. Would manga also be apart of visual medium?
Aug 3, 2015 2:40 PM

Jan 2015
i will always take a great story over pretty visuals
Aug 3, 2015 2:40 PM

Jul 2011
Well... I enjoyed ping pong the animation a lot and it looks horrible so story I guess
Aug 3, 2015 2:41 PM

Oct 2014
mochabearbruh said:
Some people as the guy a few posts above sees anime as a visual medium so the visuals should be the most important. Would manga also be apart of visual medium?
Yes. Manga is extremely dependent on its visuals. Blame could not be told any other way but in its silent and haunting visual imagery, and the same can be said of Nihei's other works. There's a certain magical nature to Urushibara Yuki's manga too, as seen in Suiiki and Mushishi. Art style is arguably even more important in manga because unlike anime, where voice actors, sound, and special effects can cover for paltry designs, manga has none of those elements to really carry it if the visuals fall apart.
Aug 3, 2015 2:44 PM

Jan 2014
mochabearbruh said:
iNoto-san said:

I agree with you.

Visuals should be important but STORY should be more important than visuals. I'ma make another example. Take for example maken-ki two! the visuals were good but the story was terrible! oh my god.. I don't hate ecchi/harem type of animes but maken-ki two just was terrible! The visuals were good but the story lacked.

Story > Visuals any day of the week.

As for manga, I'm the same. Sorry but whenever I read a manga, i'm looking for a story and ok draw or good draw.

Angel Densetsu starts ''ok'' visuals but the story makes up for it. Later on the visuals gets better.
Aug 3, 2015 2:44 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Both?

Story is obviously more important most of the time though
Aug 3, 2015 2:47 PM

Jan 2014
masterofgo said:
mochabearbruh said:
Yes. Manga is extremely dependent on its visuals. Blame could not be told any other way but in its silent and haunting visual imagery, and the same can be said of Nihei's other works. There's a certain magical nature to Urushibara Yuki's manga too, as seen in Suiiki and Mushishi. Art style is arguably even more important in manga because unlike anime, where voice actors, sound, and special effects can cover for paltry designs, manga has none of those elements to really carry it if the visuals fall apart.

Could you provide me examples of what bad visuals is for you.
Aug 3, 2015 2:48 PM

Jun 2012
Both but if I had to choose probably great story. For example Ares the art sucks (to me, maybe not to you) BIG TIME, it took me awhile to get past it but the story sucks you in and doesnt let go.

I fail to understand why every manga/manhwa cant be like Saver, great art and story. jk I know why lol
NatalieS
Aug 3, 2015 2:49 PM

Mar 2015
People please......

why not both?
thinking of a different sig, meanwhile here that's my list
Aug 3, 2015 2:52 PM

Mar 2014
AltoRoark99 said:
Comic_Sans said:

No

Angel Beats wasn't that bad, though.

OT: Visuals don't mean much unless they help to visualize the story in a way, like using symbolism and imagery. So story gets my vote.
It was mediocre
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 3, 2015 2:55 PM

Oct 2014
masterofgo said:
mochabearbruh said:
Ahhh I see. Those are really good points. That's when things would start getting tricky about which I would choose is more important.

iNoto-san said:
mochabearbruh said:
I agree with you.

Visuals should be important but STORY should be more important than visuals. I'ma make another example. Take for example maken-ki two! the visuals were good but the story was terrible! oh my god.. I don't hate ecchi/harem type of animes but maken-ki two just was terrible! The visuals were good but the story lacked.

As for manga, I'm the same. Sorry but whenever I read a manga, i'm looking for a story and ok draw or good draw.

Angel Densetsu starts ''ok'' visuals but the story makes up for it. Later on the visuals gets better.
I get what you're saying. If they're about even (the visuals and story) in manga the visuals would probably first need to pull me in unless the story is GREAT from the beginning or it's intresting enough
Aug 3, 2015 2:57 PM
Jul 2018
They're equally important. Perhaps I'm shallow for it, but I dropped the first Gundam because I didn't like the visuals. I don't care that I'm missing out on a great story. I can't get sucked into it if all I'm doing is weeping at how poor it looks to me. Something with a story that bad would also get dropped though, unless it's a short in which case I don't care all that much.
Aug 3, 2015 2:58 PM

Jan 2014
mochabearbruh said:
masterofgo said:
Ahhh I see. Those are really good points. That's when things would start getting tricky about which I would choose is more important.

iNoto-san said:

I get what you're saying. If they're about even (the visuals and story) in manga the visuals would probably first need to pull me in unless the story is GREAT from the beginning or it's intresting enough

Well you have a point there as well. Most of the mangas that I've encountered fits that criteria. Ok visuals Ok story.
Aug 3, 2015 3:07 PM

Jun 2014
Blue said:
Beautiful visuals will never save an anime with a mediocre story.
So I prefer a great story.

Pretty much sums it up. A visually good looking anime can only go so far without a story to back it up.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 3, 2015 3:07 PM

Jan 2009
Just 'cus something looks good/nice doesn't mean it is good.
So yea story/characters is where it's really at.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 3, 2015 3:08 PM

Jul 2014
Characters.

OT: F/SN is an example of an anime with good visuals but in reality, it's a heap of shit.
"Hi!"
Aug 3, 2015 3:16 PM

Oct 2012
YEEART said:
F/SN is an example of an anime with good visuals but in reality, it's a heap of shit.
You are a secondary, you don't get an opinion on F/SN.
Aug 3, 2015 3:20 PM

Nov 2014
Characters. Then the story.
Aug 3, 2015 3:40 PM

Apr 2011
I want something that is good.
Aug 3, 2015 3:53 PM

Feb 2015
As long as its entertaining it doesn't matter.
Aug 3, 2015 3:55 PM
Nov 2014
Both but Story > animation any day.
Aug 3, 2015 3:55 PM

Dec 2013
Tells a great story. Trigun is a perfect example. It looks really dated and even ugly, but the story is fantastic.
Aug 3, 2015 4:00 PM

Jan 2010
Kino's Journey has minimalist visuals and no story of note. I'm not sure how to respond to this topic. Um, I suppose I'll say that story stopped meaning much to me a while back. I appreciate a good story, but it's not the end-all to a good anime. Shows can do without them. Visuals, however, will immediately give an anime its identity, style, tone, and general feel, which can make or break an anime. This ignores extremely pretty shows with crap writing, as the complaints over those types of anime go without saying.
Aug 3, 2015 4:07 PM

Oct 2009
A great story any time of day. Hoshin Engi manga has terrible body proportions but the story kept me through hundreds of chapters of Sonic-esque anatomy.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 3, 2015 4:35 PM

Oct 2014
iNoto-san said:
Could you provide me examples of what bad visuals is for you.
I could give you examples of good visuals. Miyazaki films, Makoto Shinkai films, Satoshi Kon films. Kara no Kyoukai 5.

I think people have this misconception that visuals are just how clean something looks drawn or how good a character model is or how much fps the anime gets or how good the resolution is. There's so much more than that.
Aug 3, 2015 7:11 PM
Jul 2015
A good story is better, I suppose. If the story has a really nice story and plot that I can get into, then I will always look past the animation. Though I hated Bokura ga Ita, after a while I was already used to the crappy animation.
Aug 3, 2015 7:26 PM

Apr 2014
Both of 'em.
Having a great story is the role of the source/original material and giving it a stunning visual is the role of the studio.
It is not something that impossible to pull.

If I had to choose then I would choose Visual since it's the first thing that I could see when started some anime.
Aug 3, 2015 7:31 PM

Aug 2011
I love it when anime are visually stunning, but I won't watch it if it isn't well written. If it tells a great story, I will keep watching it till the end no matter how cheap the animation is.
Aug 3, 2015 7:53 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
The obvious answer would be both but if I had to choose one, I would rather have a great story over visuals.
Aug 3, 2015 8:00 PM

Apr 2011
Xarvyn said:
I love it when anime are visually stunning, but I won't watch it if it isn't well written. If it tells a great story, I will keep watching it till the end no matter how cheap the animation is.

Dude, you have both Kuroko and Code Geass in your favorites and you wanna tell me that you won't watch if it isn't well written. I'd also name another one, if not for the backlash I'll receive and I'm not in the mood for that.
Aug 3, 2015 8:01 PM

Aug 2014
The genre is called legend of the galactic heroes no need to explain guys
Aug 3, 2015 8:04 PM
Dec 2011
Story.

I'd rather watch movies or television if I want something visually stunning, or something by Pixar. Anime can't compete with them in that aspect that's why I read manga instead.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 10 hours ago

21 by Rinenka »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 38 minutes ago

8 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 7 hours ago

37 by Shirayukin »»
5 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

24 by Rinenka »»
6 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

34 by MadanielFL »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.