Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2015 8:19 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, I think the OP theme song is interesting. It's catchy, has a KEY vibe to it, and I'm guessing it has some foreshadowing. The part with Yuu and Nao in the air is the most noticeable part..

I find Yuu's reaction to be quite amusing considering now that people in the class knows the real him lol..

Nice episode though, a nice balance of drama and comedy.

Kinda interesting to see a young Nao though although her past isn't the most pleasant one.
Stark700Jul 11, 2015 11:01 AM
Jul 11, 2015 8:31 AM

Jul 2014
I've taken liking into the ED song, it feels so warm and the OP song was also good.
I don't like the preview of next episode, quitee a drama there so i think we are going to have a feels trip next week

I am glad that arrow didn't reach her, He barely catches it.

The part with Yuu and Nao in the air was great as well LOL,

Not a bad episode.

Jul 11, 2015 9:18 AM
Jul 2018
I must say, the opening theme song was rather intriguing. Yup, it clearly shows that this anime is a property of KEY.

The episode, overall, was quite enjoyable. Nao sure is skilled at dumbfounding others.

Drama is expected next week....better be prepared.
removed-userJul 11, 2015 9:22 AM
Jul 11, 2015 9:53 AM

May 2015
absolutely interesting, as well as we know this is very KEY ep,
and so much part of yuu and nao, like it
Taurus_Silv3r said:
The episode, overall, was quite enjoyable. Nao sure is skilled at dumbfounding others. .

also nao's transparent photo, i'm curious LOLZ
HiirodaJul 11, 2015 10:03 AM
Jul 11, 2015 9:56 AM

Nov 2014
That op the sky scene was the best one, KEY-esque and those lyrics...seeing the translated form >.<

Cafeteria...really funny scene i really can't laugh hard (the people at my place who was sleeping might wake up.)

another imperfect ability... x-ray photos?

really liking nao, but eating food at train?

i really hate scientist...Feels incoming

ED>OP for me

solid everything... 5/5

watching animax version
Jul 11, 2015 10:00 AM

Jan 2014
That was a very KEY episode... Tragic backstory, majestic scenery, MC sentimentality, the generic Maeda stuff.

Nevertheless, I am quite enjoying it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2015 10:04 AM
Jun 2015
The story is getting more interesting and looks promising!
Jul 11, 2015 10:53 AM

May 2013
Feel bad for the brother being used by the scientists.
Jul 11, 2015 10:54 AM

Dec 2013
im really enjoying the characters, i hope the story holds up til the end
Jul 11, 2015 11:01 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Nao is much more cheerful than you think when she opens up to others.
Ayumi probably has a power, too and maybe doesn't know about it. The comet topic seems to be relevant as well.
Yeah, i can see where this is going. I'm ready.

OP of the season!
Jul 11, 2015 11:01 AM

Jan 2012
Quite the tragic backstory for Nao and her brother. I wonder if their mom knew she was dooming them...how heartless if so.
Jul 11, 2015 11:03 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
They didn't waste any time explaining the experimentation aspect of the show that a lot of us speculated about =o I really like the explanation of the new school where Yuu is at as well as the revealing of the Student Council's goal

The first half was more fun and I especially liked the cafeteria scene with the teleportation dude.....His power is so messed up and he just plays it off even when he fucks himself up in the end xDDD

Shit hit the fan in the second half when we found out about Nao's past though....Those scientists are a bunch of evil fuckers and I feel so bad for her family and especially her brother....That's a really shitty experience to have to go through :( This episode changed my perspective of her completely and now I have nothing short of respect for her....Her personality isn't half bad either

I'm glad that she was able to escape that life and that she managed to find a goal in life....Them finding other people with powers and helping them is going to be a lot of fun and I can't wait to see how the character interactions and development with the main cast will play out in the future

OP and ED were nice too
Jul 11, 2015 11:05 AM

Jan 2015
Really enjoyed this episode. I really enjoy the three main characters so far especially Nao. Seems that they school dynamic could be very funny. Hope the drama isn't on full blast this entire anime.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jul 11, 2015 11:05 AM
Jul 2012
That was a good episode.
Jul 11, 2015 11:06 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
This anime's got a beautiful OP. *^* Yeah, it really has that Key touch, while the ED is also lovely with Nao.

I lol'd at Yuu smirking in class only to find out that two of his classmates are the ones who are always sticking around with him. xD

Nao's brother who has his own dreams got ruined when he was used as a test subject by those scientists... That was really tragic.. :( And they managed to capture the guy who has an ability called thoughtography. Wish I could have seen Nao's photo in see thru vision.

If there's a high chance Yuu's little sister earns an ability too, I wonder what will it be?
Jul 11, 2015 11:10 AM

Apr 2014
Nao and her brother T-T

The opening and ending are great

The anime is getting more interesting

Jul 11, 2015 11:17 AM

Apr 2013
I'm loving this show so far. I like the concept and both MCs have grown on me. Nao had some very winning kawaii moments in this one. This was a very solid 2nd episode that portrayed more of what the show will be about for the rest of the season imo. I'm looking forward to seeing what the overarching story is going to be about.
Jul 11, 2015 11:18 AM

May 2012
thats a pretty messed up past.....
and lol nao has a pretty cute side :p
Jul 11, 2015 11:20 AM
Sep 2013
here comes the drama, somehow i have a feeling that this will be a very sad one.....
Jul 11, 2015 11:21 AM

Jul 2014
Wow tht was a 2nd episode that could have made or break this show. It was so well done, from what i thought was gonna be a stupid fantasy show to a more of a meaningul show like this, Key really brought it home. Hope it continues to get better.

However, it feels like the director is still working on Nao's character cause i feel like her character isnt consistent yet

Also I really wanna know why Nao's mom agreed to them going to tht school. She probably knew her son was gonna get exprimented on. Poor guy
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jul 11, 2015 11:22 AM

Aug 2012
Pretty par for the Meada course, but not bad. Just needs a lot more exposition for the scientist vs 'Trusted Person' side of things. Definitely setting up some future tragedy, so Yuu's development is going to need to take priority.

I loved the Angel Beats-esq humor with Takajou and his power, more of that pls PA.

Well, Yuu is most likely going to end up using his ability to give the 'batteries' like Nao's brother some peace, even if temporary. I could see him developing his power to be able to extend the possession, which could result in an especially tragic KEY end. I know your game, Maeda.
Jul 11, 2015 11:24 AM

Sep 2014
Positives:
-Nao's quite fun when she's facade-less
-The first half of the episode(again).

Negatives:
-The MC has started becoming a good guy, just as I speculated. And I even thought this would happen gradually, but oh well. Ahaha, where are those 'KEY Veterans' now?
-The episode felt a bit rushed. Would've been better if the story was just the first part and that the episode ended on 'I'll take you to my brother'(something along those lines), IMO.
-The thing about her brother felt far too early. I know it's cliche to show it when they delve more into her character, but that's far better than showing crucial past in/on the 2nd episode. :/
-Apart from the sudden burst of good-ity, not much characterisation of the MC this ep.

As I thought, the power of invisibility has something to do with loneliness. Someone said something about Charlotte being the name of something in space. Might be that comet that Yu's sister is looking forward to seeing.

I wonder who the person who helped Nao is. Their name is Charlotte, isn't it?

The negatives out weigh the positives, but that it's fine cos that's not how I judge muh episodes. This eppy was quite enjoyable, unlike the fun-ruiner like the last one was.
mira-pyonJul 11, 2015 11:29 AM
The sun is a deadly laser
Jul 11, 2015 11:25 AM

Jul 2007
Annnd droped.

This turned into typical Key copy pasta.
The MC is devolving into goodie two shoes by exploring his FEEEELINGS and being AMAAAAAZED at all those NIIIICE people.
We already started KEY's trademark sobstory backstories but its way too hectic to "feel" anything.
We got some mystery stuff and scifi stuff but it all feels like an afterthought to otaku pandering.
We also got some out of place angel-beatsy "comedy"
The rest of episode filled with typical KEY dirty otaku bait

This really does feel like Angel Beats 2 and nope nope nope I am not sitting down for such a trainwreck again.

2/5 and bye.
Jul 11, 2015 11:26 AM

Jul 2012
I'm kind of confused about Joujirou's power now.

Supposedly it's teleportation but, if he was just teleporting he wouldn't have been able to grab those sandwiches or drop the money, and he wouldn't have been able to grab the arrow right?

So it seems that his power is actually an extreme burst of speed, in which he can not only fly extremely fast in the direction he jumps, but also think and move extremely fast while in mid-jump.
Jul 11, 2015 11:30 AM

May 2012
CookingPriest said:
Annnd droped.

The MC is devolving into goodie two shoes by exploring his FEEEELINGS and being AMAAAAAZED at all those NIIIICE people.
We already started KEY's trademark sobstory backstories but its way too hectic to "feel" anything.
We got some mystery stuff and scifi stuff but it all feels like an afterthought to otaku pandering.

This really does feel like Angel Beats 2 and nope nope nope I am not sitting down for such a trainwreck again.

2/5 and bye.

Good riddance

Like none of those things you mentioned are actually bad things, so ranting about them here is pointless
KamiCityJul 11, 2015 11:55 AM
Jul 11, 2015 11:31 AM

Aug 2013
So her mom sold them..? That's just terrible :|

Takajou is freaking hilarious. How is that guy not dead yet... The dude is a goddamn human rocket!

Nao totally lack basic communication skill. That's actually adorable :3
Maybe through the course of the anime she'll make a few friends? She look so lonely... But it doesn't seem to affect her.

They put a lot of emphasis on the astronomy. Just the anime cover for example : they are all looking at the sky and a comet pass through the title. There must be somekind of link between the comets and the powers.

Anyway, this show has been fun so far. It was quite heavy at the end, but the characters personalities are fun to watch! :D
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 11, 2015 11:32 AM

Sep 2014
KamiCity said:
CookingPriest said:
Annnd droped.

2/5 and bye.

Good riddance

*ohsnap.jpg*
Jul 11, 2015 11:35 AM

Aug 2010
That OP seems to imply some really feels inducing stuff. Sasuga Key stuff :P Loved the song and visuals too.

Dat teleportation tho XD Destroying the whole cafeteria XD Gotta love this guy ^^;

I could feel the Iroha vibes from Nao a few times when she was teasing XD She's pretty cute.

That backstory tho. Damn that sux about her big bro. Did their mom know all that shit will happen O_o If so she's friggin low begging her children to get their life F'd Up!
Jul 11, 2015 11:41 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that was just all round very good. I like the tag-team work with the abilities, Nao is quickly growing on me and the backstory wasn't that bad. Animation is superb too

ED sounded awesome as well
Jul 11, 2015 11:42 AM

Jul 2010
It was interesting to see that Nao has a person she trust to that point, also about a person creating this system to counter the experiments, who is this mysterious person!

The powers are somewhat out of the norm, or at least on how it is used xD The powers being imperfect are enjoyable.

Those scientist tossing aside useless things once they are done... Seeing the reason why the student council acts, can't wait to see the evil organizations getting destroyed. Would publicity do harm or actually save this group of people.
Jul 11, 2015 11:45 AM
Jun 2015
lol...so the code geass fans hopes got crushed too soon

expected mc to gradually develop...and it turned true...liked this episode
Jul 11, 2015 11:48 AM

Aug 2013
Good Episode, I'm liking Nao, but I still didn't get her character
Idk about the OP, but I like the ED

Please be good for next, and next, and next

Apr 2014
Thoughts for this Episode:

Okay the OP and ED song and animation was good.
The comedy and drama was balanced and it's really good.
I guess I need to prepare for a heavy drama on the next week's episode?!
Haters always gonna hate.

Jun 2014
Wow, Nao had a pretty sad past. I feel bad for her brother for what he had to go through and the effects it had on him
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 11, 2015 11:49 AM

Mar 2014
Another good episode, so easy to watch and extremely funny, some situations could have been not so funny if the funny part didn't happen so that was kinda of not so good (people are actively in the risk of dying), still funny though.
I simply love Nao's seiyuu too.
The exposition was also not the best
"Hey brother, I got into a new school because I'm super smart!"
"Wow, you're so smart, unlike me." All with the biggest smile on his face.
Who talks like that? Surely you didn't need to have guy comment on how dumb he was, there are some others like that too, whatever in that regard.
Also has some silly concepts, like the fact that people with abilities are always being hunted down but, even despite the fact that there are plenty with them powers, only one of them has been caught so far, because we need an angsty backstory, etc. I don't see what this "scientists are evilz!" Is trying to accomplish, is this somehow in support of not vaccinating your kids or something? Not to mention the clear violation of human rights, a tad silly.
Same for femMC not having friends "she could become invisible and beat me up so I'm going to avoid any contact with her", good stuff guys.
Sasuga Jun Maeda.
But I still buy these things and the show is hilarious and looks great so it's all very well and good.
Jul 11, 2015 11:49 AM

Jun 2015
Great episode. Don't really like the OP though. I wonder what happened to the mother of Nao and her brother.

Jul 11, 2015 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
I feel bad for Nao's big brother since he is being used as a test subject by the scientists.
Jul 11, 2015 11:56 AM

Nov 2013
This episode was... interesting...

Let's start with the positives:
they nailed Nao's character, just like they did with Yuu in the previous episode. Her personality and her backstory (we get the whole thing instead of hints like last week) were well done. I'd be happy if we get 2 episodes of the same quality for the remaining main characters.
Yuu is still a douche, he fails spectacularly while talking to Nao abouth her brother in 2 different occasions, but he's not dead inside yet.
The comedy is spot on, the glasses guy is hilarious so far.

On the other hand, the world-building is sooooo shaky...
I could nitpick for hours, so I'll just make an example: if they're trying to protect themselves from being used as test subjects, how can they just go and visit Nao's brother without any protection? How can they go to other schools just like that?
The whole thing with evil scientists and stuff like that is a bit cheesy, but there's a lot of foreshadowing for unknown future revelations, and I really hope that everything will come together nicely in the end.

I'll rewatch the episode tomorrow to try and figure out where this is all going thematically, because everything I thought I had figured out before was kinda shaken up.
Lollo36Jul 11, 2015 11:59 AM
Jul 11, 2015 11:57 AM

Oct 2008
Okay, now that I can see what direction the show is going it, the first episode just made so much more sense. Definitely curious about the "Professor X" who's basically setting up this "Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters" and getting their own mutants to find other mutants... Yeah, it's pretty much X-Men at this point with their very own Cerebro.

Still, I'm curious as to where the show's going.
Jul 11, 2015 12:00 PM

Sep 2014
Lollo36 said:

I could nitpick for hours, so I'll just make an example: if they're trying to protect themselves from being used as test subjects, how can they just go and visit Nao's brother without any protection? How can they go to other schools just like that?
The whole thing with evil scientists and stuff like that is a bit cheesy, but there's a lot of foreshadowing for unknown future revelations, and I really hope that everything will come together nicely in the end.

I'll rewatch the episode tomorrow to try and figure out where this is all going thematically, because everything I thought I had figured out before was kinda shaken up.

Short answer:

All your questions have one simple answer(which is also a question):

Remember that person that Nao said helped them?

Extra: The 'test subjects thing' was a huge threat 3 years prior. Things would've settled down as time passed. Nao also said last episode that they had permission from the government. Meaning that the person who helped them has big influence. Hence why
1) They visited her brother in a new, safe, (probably mental)hostpital
2) There is a school for the kids with special abilities/about to get special abilities.

It might just be that the ones out on the streets are not protected by the school, as they don't attend it. So, if they were to be captured, they could be experimented on. Unlike, say, the students that do attend the school.
mira-pyonJul 11, 2015 12:03 PM
Jul 11, 2015 12:01 PM

Dec 2011
Still I don't understand the title choice and how it references to the anime it self. And the main question is: Who the hell is Charlotte?
(•_•) DEAL ( •_•)>⌐■-■ WITH IT(⌐■_■) YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
Jul 11, 2015 12:02 PM

May 2012
Lollo36 said:
This episode was... interesting...

Let's start with the positives:
they nailed Nao's character, just like they did with Yuu in the previous episode. Her personality and her backstory (we get the whole thing instead of hints like last week) were well done.
Yuu is still a douche, he fails spectacularly while talking to Nao abouth her brother in 2 different occasions, but he's not dead inside yet.
The comedy is spot on, the glasses guy is hilarious so far.

Well it is mentioned that the "person she trusts" put her brother in that hospital, which would mean that he's got a lot of power and influence. It looks like there are at least 2 powerful parties on top now the scientists and that person. I doubt the scientists would make a move against people who are backed up by another person in power.
That's all a theory for now of course, but it's something to start off with.
I wouldn't call the scientists evil either, more like people exploiting others for their own gain, which isn't a rare occurrence in the real world.

Also this
mira-nyan said:

Extra: The 'test subjects thing' was a huge threat 3 years prior. Things would've settled down as time passed.

On a side note, it looks like you were spot on about the comet being linked to their powers. It seems very likely that, that's the case.
Jul 11, 2015 12:03 PM

Mar 2014
mira-nyan said:
Lollo36 said:

Extra: The 'test subjects thing' was a huge threat 3 years prior. Things would've settled down as time passed.
And who are these "scientists"? They have to work for the government one way or the way if they are concerned with the guy hurting other people, is this guy above the law? It all requires a huge amount of suspension of disbelief.
And they basically tortured the guy, you can't torture someone just like that, that's not how things work, you can't pick a kid off the street and throw him in your lab to test him.
Jul 11, 2015 12:04 PM

Jun 2015
Andruha said:
Still I don't understand the title choice and how it references to the anime it self. And the main question is: Who the hell is Charlotte?

This.

I was expecting the MC to be named Charlotte when I first saw the title (went into this anime blind). Maybe reasons for naming it Charlotte will be revealed or hinted in some form down the line.

Jul 11, 2015 12:05 PM
Jul 2015
Dam that teleportation ability is hilarious!
Jul 11, 2015 12:06 PM

Sep 2014
Paulo27 said:
mira-nyan said:

And who are these "scientists"? They have to work for the government one way or the way if they are concerned with the guy hurting other people, is this guy above the law? It all requires a huge amount of suspension of disbelief.

What Kami said: it's one powerful person vs the scientists.

May 2012
Paulo27 said:
mira-nyan said:

You must not know politics, different parties with different agendas going against each other is nothing new. It's not hard to believe two different sections of the government have completely different goals when it comes to the people with super powers
Or it could be a rich billionaire vs the scientist.... I mean the scientist might be government funded that doesn't mean they follow government agendas either.

It's far to early to know exactly who is who

Nov 2014
Emiya Shirou is that you?
Hi there
Jul 11, 2015 12:07 PM

Sep 2014
kyle8998 said:
Emiya Shirou is that you?
So I'm not the only one that thought that. :D
Jul 11, 2015 12:07 PM

Feb 2014
That was quite fun, they sure can catch the guys with abilities pretty easily, but I was more interested in Nao's photo, too bad they didn't show it.

Nao's past sure is tragic... damn her brother looked really bad.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Yuu's Ability

PenguinLam - Apr 18

39 by Puntosmx »»
Yesterday, 3:28 PM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2015

649 by MsBorsh »»
Apr 21, 11:49 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sakaitsu - Jul 4, 2015

652 by MsBorsh »»
Apr 21, 4:34 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2015

886 by KumaGetsu »»
Apr 18, 10:21 PM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2015

459 by Tsunamii_ »»
Apr 6, 4:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.